Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nope. We're driving what we've got for a while.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According the local news this AM ppl are adhering to Gestapo Joe's words and buying EV's like mad. 6 month wait and paying whatever dealers are putting on the window sticker. I call BS but that's the latest propaganda.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MARCEL
According the local news this AM ppl are adhering to Gestapo Joe's words and buying EV's like mad. 6 month wait and paying whatever dealers are putting on the window sticker. I call BS but that's the latest propaganda.

Well to be fair. (to be faaaaiiirrrr) - they're doing that for gas vehicles too. It's less about the motive power and more about getting a new ride I think.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jbmi
Ordered one over 3 months ago, before all the crap was happening.
It should be in anytime, having second thoughts, it's a "want" vs "need"
Dealer says I don't have to take it, as they have a waiting list for this one.
It was a decent deal, no mark up above sticker, plus got 3K off with a family & friends coupon.
Paying cash, just a slight hesitation thinking if I'd be better off waiting for things to settle down, and if all hell breaks loose if I'd need the cash.
Decisions, decisions, decisions crazy

We leased my wife's last two vehicles and decided to buy this time around so we ordered a new one in early September, it arrived on Monday and am picking it up this aft.
We bought out the lease on her current car and flipped it for a substantial profit – that certainly took the edge off buying the new one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've been looking at getting a new bicycle.

Check out the electric ones. The electric motorcycles are pretty cool too but may not work well for you during the winter.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Teal
I've been shopping but not serious.

Have a feeling I'll end up Tacoma or Tundra with Silverado 3rd.

If it gets as bad as people think - cash will be useless, think Weimar Republic. EVERYONE will be defaulted on stuff - if everyone's effed, then we're all equal.

I expect the .gov will simply end up confiscating 401k's to keep things going. A revolution isn't gonna return the US to anything. It will be USA 2.0 or nothing. Either way you're not getting your $ back.

It's gonna be miserable, may as well be miserable in heated leather seats...

Do you really believe all that you wrote?

If China sides with Russia and the west cuts them off then prices are going nowhere but up. I fear WWIII may be the West fighting Russia and China and it won't be pleasant for anyone.

Last edited by Whiptail; 03/10/22.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
jbmi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all the comments, could not decide what to do until it arrived yesterday at the dealer after a 3 1/2 month wait.
It's one of those want vs needs things, when I saw it, the wants won.
Here's her picture, promo pic as it's raining here and didn't have a chance for a good pic. It's just as I ordered it. Hell, I'm 77, just might be the last car I ever buy,
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]😉

Last edited by jbmi; 03/17/22.

"The older I get, the better I was"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
We've had a RAV4 Hybrid on order for two and half months now, it was supposedly built Tuesday in Ontario Canada, and is on the way to the border. It's delivery date is April 8th, or thereabouts. My sister has been driving hybrids for 15 years now and loves the 50MPG she gets out of her Prius, and that convinced the wife that she wanted the RAV4, as a compromise for my bad back and her loving the high mileage figures. We're paying MSRP, but that's better than most stealerships in the area who are trying to tack on 5K to the sticker price.
We're going to pay cash for it, and skip the payment book.

I am looking for a new pickup, but I won't be buying it until we sell Mom's house (she passed away in November, and my sister and I are splitting the proceeds from the sale of Mom's house). One thing has fouled up those plans, though, my sister's house had a fire Friday night and we moved my sister's family into Mom's place until they can get her house rebuilt. That'll slow my buying plans down for awhile, which is okay, my current pickup only has 72K on it, and runs great. I plan on paying cash for that one, too, and upgrading a lot, IF I can find something I like. So far, I'm liking my old Frontier more than anything else. I might just drive it into the ground, My 2016 Frontier isn't costing me anything except fuel, insurance and taxes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
IMHO... there is not a single thing you can buy right now... that will NOT BE WORTH MORE IN THE FUTURE.

Exceptions being boats, Tom Brady footballs, guns, motorcycles and such.

When these hard times get worse...

The essentials that you own AND NEED will be highly valuable to hold or trade.

Recreational and surplus stuff (i.e. that 50 gun collection, that baseball card collection) will be worth far less.

Don't believe me... Go look at a pawn shop (their inventory grows daily... the one near me is ALMOST no longer taking in stuff).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't bought a NEW vehicle in 20 years, opting instead for one/two year old "program" cars, but used cars are outrageous now, so it really makes some sense to buy new...if you can find one...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Nope. We're driving what we've got for a while.

What we're doing.
14 CRV
11 Mazda 3
04 Tahoe
99 Frontier
I honestly wouldn't hesitate to hop in any of the above and drive cross country if the need arises.

And congrats JBMI on the nice new ride!

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I still drive an 06 chevy duramax, 126k miles on it. Purchased in 08, during the last crash for 24k and 15k miles. The wife bought a 21, Subaru Ascent, in Dec of 20 . The zero percent interest was the selling factor along with 500$ over invoice. I decided years ago paying cash, is a fools errand, when zero intrest is available.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was able to trade couple of days ago. Had to pay sticker but they were in range on my trade in. Zero interest. Love the truck.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
We ordered a f150 New Year’s Eve and it should get here next week. Dealer shot us a good deal if we ordered one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have bought 3 new vehicles in the past 2 years. My logic is get them now while you can, this is the first time in my life used vehicles have appreciated in value. Sold my used vehicles for top dollar, got fair prices on new. And if necessary these vehicles will last the rest of my life. A local dealer offers 20yr 200,000 mile warranty.
Two of the new vehicles are diesel powered, so they should live a long life.

This logic is making increasing sense to me who is normally at the other end of the spectrum: i.e. buy well used and run-to-fail. Hmmmmmmm.....

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have bought 3 new vehicles in the past 2 years. My logic is get them now while you can, this is the first time in my life used vehicles have appreciated in value. Sold my used vehicles for top dollar, got fair prices on new. And if necessary these vehicles will last the rest of my life. A local dealer offers 20yr 200,000 mile warranty.
Two of the new vehicles are diesel powered, so they should live a long life.

This logic is making increasing sense to me who is normally at the other end of the spectrum: i.e. buy well used and run-to-fail. Hmmmmmmm.....

+1

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Havent had a car payment since 2000.
Now I do and I dont freakin like it.

Gonna be a tight azz and pay it off way early.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The good thing is interest is cheap, but it’s not going to stay that way.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hookeye
Havent had a car payment since 2000.
Now I do and I dont freakin like it.

Gonna be a tight azz and pay it off way early.

I struggle with knowing that the 500 payment I pay today is the most that 500 will be worth in the next several years. Making that payment of 500 in 2 years, likely that 500 is actually worth a lot less. I kinda like the idea of giving them money that way.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just got ANOTHER text about my four Toyota allocations...

$1k times four to purchase four new Toyotas...

Postponed AGAIN.

This is a HIGHLY RESPECTED DEALER (been serving our family for decades... no BS... no games).

Some deposits have been in place since November.

This chit is getting ridiculous.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.