Home
Posted By: longarm Obesity - 03/29/22
I took one of the dogs to the vet this morning to be spayed. While in the vet office I counted 11 women. One of them was a maybe 25-year-old country girl, looked to be in good shape.

The remaining 10 women were clearly obese.

The CDC,for whatever they're worth, claim obesity rate in the US is now over 42%.

Maybe the upcoming projected food shortage is a good thing?
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
I want to comment on this...hold that thought, I gotta go get a sammich.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
I'm too fat, too fat for me.
Posted By: memtb Re: Obesity - 03/29/22

Once the coming food shortage gets bad……they’ll be successful with that weight loss they’ve always wanted! memtb
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Obesity and napalm are a good team. I love the smell of bacon in the morning.
Posted By: killerv Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Was just reading where that teenager who died on the amusement ride in Orlando was 6'5'' and 340lbs...and 14 years old
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
My wife and I were driving near the local university and a few big herds of coeds crossed the road in front of us. There wasn't one in the groups under #250. They eat well on those unlimited studend loans. When I was in college it was one of the times in my life I lost weight. I couldn't afford to eat like they do now at university.

Bb
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
My wife and I were driving near the local university and a few big herds of coeds crossed the road in front of us. There wasn't one in the groups under #250. They eat well on those unlimited studend loans. When I was in college it was one of the times in my life I lost weight. I couldn't afford to eat like they do now at university.

Bb

You might want to check out the college scene in the Carolinas. Sill a lot of hot ones down were. The last six months of college tours is killing me! laugh
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by longarm
I took one of the dogs to the vet this morning to be spayed. While in the vet office I counted 11 women. One of them was a maybe 25-year-old country girl, looked to be in good shape.

The CDC,for whatever they're worth, claim obesity rate in the US is now over 42%.

I figure it will only take one neighbor put up in the freezer to last my family through the entire winter.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
This "Body Positive" crap is killing people.
Do men now find this attractive?

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by killerv
Was just reading where that teenager who died on the amusement ride in Orlando was 6'5'' and 340lbs...and 14 years old

do ya think he hit the ground faster than say, a lad of only 120 pounds?
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by killerv

Yikes. Must be a crater where he landed.
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
You might want to check out the college scene in the Carolinas. Sill a lot of hot ones down were. The last six months of college tours is killing me! laugh

Buddy & I were down around UGA in December. I had to keep reminding myself that those were someone's daughters. Wow.

As for obesity? Yeah, it's everywhere, & getting worse. Growing up, there was 1 extremely fat person, & everyone knew her. These days, there are hundreds her size, or bigger, in nearly every venue one enters.

Since our society has now decided that .gov should be in charge of health care, declaring martial law re: foodstuffs is conceivably on the table. No Doritos for YOU!

FC
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Some men like big wimmins:

"I love the tip, I love the top
I love you better than a hog loves slop

'Cause you're a big legged woman
With a short, short miniskirt
Promise me darlin'
You'll never make me feel like dirt"

Goes way way back too:

some wimmins like a big man too:

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by JoeBob

I figure it will only take one neighbor put up in the freezer to last my family through the entire winter.

I figure the extra 15 or so I'd love to lose will come in handy during the famine too.

Eating skinny field rabbits and Eurasian doves will require burning some of my stored food for the fat content.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Obesity - 03/29/22

I'm there now. After my fall from a roof 5 years ago and being busted up (second broken back and 80% loss of left arm function) I haven't raised any alfalfa and can't buck bales. I gained 45 pounds, and it's my fault. One exercise I could still do is push-aways at the dinner table.

Emily will be a good reason to become active, as active as the carcass will allow, and shed this weight. I need to be able to keep up with her and Rosie by this fall.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Yes. Many years back when a student at WVU (WVa) we had a home football game with UCLA. The male component of our student body pretty much moved over to the opposing team stands for an extended look at their cheerleaders.

Have watched a few college basketball games in the last couple weeks and there are not near as many high lifts and tosses being done in those cheerleader ranks now days.

Eat well,
Posted By: bluffview Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Buddy & I were down around UGA in December. I had to keep reminding myself that those were someone's daughters. Wow.

FC

20+ years ago my cousin and friend would tell me they didn't make girls like that when they were in school, referring to the way they looked and dressed. Last August it was 92 degrees when I brought my son to campus and I'll tell you what. They didn't make girls like that when I was in school!!!
Posted By: JOG Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Expensive food or a shortage will only make things worse - more fat people. Folks with less money eat highly processed and cheap food and that's what makes a person fat. Healthly foods - meat, fresh fruit and vegetables - will become more expensive and be consumed even less.
Posted By: JPro Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by JOG
Expensive food or a shortage will only make things worse - more fat people. Folks with less money eat highly processed and cheap food and that's what makes a person fat. Healthly foods - meat, fresh fruit and vegetables - will become more expensive and be consumed even less.

Likely some truth there. Less food from the edges of the grocery store and more from the middle.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
Originally Posted by JOG

This right here. Obese will continue to be obese because they dont generally eat correctly anyway but there will be more people who become obese eating all that cheap starchy foods to stay alive.
Posted By: longarm Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
I believe you are correct, JOG.
And it wouldn't surpise me at all if it were by design.
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Obesity - 03/29/22
People are obese because they refuse to do what doctors have told us for the last hundred years, "eat right and exercise".
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Obesity is terrible. My 20-year-old nephew couldn't even get off my boat today he's a big boy 6'5 and I bet he's over 350. I've said my piece to him and his lazy azz momma who is also fat. I can't believe the China flu didn't get one or both.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
People are obese because they refuse to do what doctors have told us for the last hundred years, "eat right and exercise".

Oh, that’s hooey. What did doctors tell us to eat for three generations? Don’t eat eggs, butter or lard. Eat lots of carbs. Don't eat fat, but if you do, eat margarine. Don’t eat fish because of the mercury. Count calories. Starve yourself.

Basically EVERYTHING “doctors” told us was the exact opposite of eating healthy. The only exception is “Eat lots of vegetables”. But you should fry them in lard......
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Lard is good.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by Dutch

Oh, that’s hooey. What did doctors tell us to eat for three generations? Don’t eat eggs, butter or lard. Eat lots of carbs. Don't eat fat, but if you do, eat margarine. Don’t eat fish because of the mercury. Count calories. Starve yourself.

Basically EVERYTHING “doctors” told us was the exact opposite of eating healthy. The only exception is “Eat lots of vegetables”. But you should fry them in lard......

I’m convinced that the proper diet will never be established. Lots of smoke and mirrors on that subject.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Lard is good.

Lard ain't making anyone fat. It's all the processed garbage in boxes and packages.

Most of America should go on a 4 week fast. Would help them immensely.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Obesity - 03/30/22

Doctors have been lying to us longer than just Covid time...

They gave us the low fat diet and the food pyramid with absolutely no science behind it.
Posted By: Peddler Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Didn't we just do like a 10 page thread on this?
Posted By: longarm Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by Peddler
Didn't we just do like a 10 page thread on this?

I must have missed it. You're going to love my thread on Ukraine..
Posted By: ribka Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Freddie King. damn he's good

Originally Posted by Valsdad

Promise me darlin'

Goes way way back too:

Lard is good.

MANTECA MI HIJO
Like that 335 fo sho
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Meat and vegetables. Avoid starchy things like bread, rice, and potatoes. Don’t eat sugar. Don’t eat junk like chips and so on and so forth. Skip breakfast and do your best to eat between the hours of noon and 7:00 pm. About once a week skip lunch so that you go about 24 hours without eating.

Do that and you’ll lose between one and two pounds a week. Throw in a bit of exercise and the pounds will fall off. Eat as much meat and veggies as you want. Don’t worry about fat or calories.
Ribka
Dude.. I'm trying to eat dinner here..
Posted By: RupertBear Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
If it's wrapped in plastic, don't eat it. If it is in a can, don't eat too much of it. When in doubt, walk the dog.
RB
Posted By: 1minute Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
20+ years ago my cousin and friend would tell me they didn't make girls like that when they were in school

True. A lot of today's foxes are packing nicely shaped but artificial boobs. Some nice-looking birthday and graduation presents being handed out now days.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Obesity - 03/30/22

Oh Yeah he is!

Originally Posted by ribka
Freddie King. damn he's good

Originally Posted by Valsdad

Promise me darlin'

Goes way way back too:

Posted By: LBP Re: Obesity - 03/30/22

Some big girls are pretty hot, like this chick.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Lard is good.

Lard ain't making anyone fat. It's all the processed garbage in boxes and packages.

Most of America should go on a 4 week fast. Would help them immensely.

Phugg you!
I'd get hungry!
Posted By: RDW Re: Obesity - 03/30/22

You think this is just women?
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
I work in a high school. I see it every day, 85% of the students are 20-40 pounds overweight. The male students not so much, the female yes. Can imagine what they will look like if they ever spit out a few kids.
Posted By: benchman Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by Fullfan
I work in a high school. I see it every day, 85% of the students are 20-40 pounds overweight. The male students not so much, the female yes. Can imagine what they will look like if they ever spit out a few kids.

Been lucky. The ex looks pretty good at 65. The current wife is at her HS weight of 110. I'm at 178, was 127 in HS, but I'm a weightlifter, and have a LOT more muscle than I did in my 20's.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
I’ve noticed the same thing, particularly with gen z.

Drop the daughter off at daycare and most of the staff is just out of HS. All except one is certified angus beef.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Obesity - 03/30/22

I think what Charlie is meaning is cut out all the crap in your diet. Ignore the 'fads' of what was bad that grabbed the headlines, and focus on cutting out the crap.

No Snickers bars, no Oreos, no ice cream, no gallons of Coca Cola and Mountain Dew, no premade boxed crap loaded with salt and sugar and who knows what else. If you can't recognize the food from its original source, odds are it isn't the best to put in your body.

It is not rocket surgery. If you burn more calories than you intake, you'll lose weight. If you intake more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight. It is 100% diet and exercise. Yeah, Margie might have a thyroid problem and at rest doesn't burn as many calories as Billy does. That means Margie can't sit on the couch eating BonBons all day while Billy is out in the yard cutting up logs for the winter.

I know all this,yet I still eat the Snickers bars and ice cream.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

My thinking as well when I started reading this thread. There are damn few white women around Charleston who are not in pretty good shape. Of course, at The Citadel, all the students tend to be pretty fit and if you cruise down King or East Bay Streets when the nice weather brings out the College of Charleston girls… you might just feel like the one-eyed dog in the butcher shop.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
A son who took an Uber to the grocery store while his mother was hospitalized is in more hot water after calling her seeking bail money.

Scott Robert Kerster, 45, also known as “Scott Fudge,” continues to be held at the Marion County Jail where he has been lodged since March 19.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Obesity - 03/30/22

It is not rocket surgery. If you burn more calories than you intake, you'll lose weight. If you intake more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight. It is 100% diet and exercise. Yeah, Margie might have a thyroid problem and at rest doesn't burn as many calories as Billy does. That means Margie can't sit on the couch eating BonBons all day while Billy is out in the yard cutting up logs for the winter.

[/quote]

YUP
Posted By: Brass_Rats Re: Obesity - 03/30/22
I can admit, im on meal team six from the gravy seals. Trying to lose weight is hard man. Good addiction is real.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Obesity - 03/30/22

It sure seems that women in particular have gotten fatter the last couple years. Heck, 42% might even be on the conservative side?

Lots of focus on food in our culture and for many people, their hobby, stress-reliever, vacation plans, weekend outings, all revolve around eating. Way more eating than moving going on for people to keep the weight at healthy levels.

I was looking at some of my Dad's photos from his 1-room school days in the 1940's and 50's. All the kids were rail-thin and straight as a board. The boys and girls in his pics looked like the Kenyan Olympic distance runners of today. But with lots of physical work, no TV, no junk food snacks, no fast food, and a generation where nobody went out for dinner, they weren't packing the fat of today.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Obesity - 03/31/22
Originally Posted by Fullfan

Not in the south. My girls are in high school sports and I was talking to a buddy of mine at a high school basketball game. At halftime there were the cheerleaders, the dance team and the majorettes. Every group of them are stunning, probably 100+ girls. I looked at my buddy (who's daughter is a dancer) and said, man, where were the girls like this when I was in high school? They are all beautiful young ladies. Those boys don't know how lucky they have it.
Posted By: killerv Re: Obesity - 03/31/22

YUP
[/quote]

thanks for your input, my wife had half of her thyroid removed and followed the next year with a hysterotomy in her mid 40s, she's struggling with the weight, she eats the right stuff and does everything she is supposed to, but she is struggling. Glad to know its all her fault though....
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Obesity - 03/31/22
Some folks are just born with those genetics.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Obesity - 03/31/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Some folks are just born with those genetics.

But these genetics still can’t make more weight than the calorie intake. If so, we are on the cusp of a perpetual motion machine.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Obesity - 03/31/22
Small, well formed women as rule are damn nigh extinct!!

As for the ‘eaters’ if told to carry their ass…..they’d have to make three trips!
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Obesity - 03/31/22
Going back to the old Polka Song: I dont want her, you can have her, shes too fat for me!
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Obesity - 04/03/22
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I think what Charlie is meaning is cut out all the crap in your diet. Ignore the 'fads' of what was bad that grabbed the headlines, and focus on cutting out the crap.

No Snickers bars, no Oreos, no ice cream, no gallons of Coca Cola and Mountain Dew, no premade boxed crap loaded with salt and sugar and who knows what else. If you can't recognize the food from its original source, odds are it isn't the best to put in your body.

I know all this,yet I still eat the Snickers bars and ice cream.

Calories in and out is definitely the basic key to weight loss. The issue we have is the dogma surrounding nutrition has resulted in nearly 50% of Americans showing insulin resistance.

There is a lot of science now that challenges ideas that have existed about obesity. One interesting thing I saw recently was treating insulin resistance rather than treating blood sugar. People are given insulin because the body needs it to use glucose.

Problem is, it also makes you hungry. Hungry people tend to subconsciously seek foods that provide instant energy (carbs). This drives up blood sugar. Then you take more insulin. Then you get hungry sooner and eat more, which results in more stored energy (fat). Rinse and repeat.

© 24hourcampfire