Home
Posted By: steveredd1 ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
had a good laugh at a flea market this morning when a guy walked by a ammo hoarder and remarked about that guy selling Federal Auto Match for $42.99 a box. Got really good back and forth for awhile. The guy said he hoped the hoarder choked on his ammo and he was going to Wal Mart and buy 2 boxes for what he wanted for his. Scalpers are going to start eat there ammo
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
And the primers? Somebody out there has to have a truck load of them.
Posted By: strikeu Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
how many rnds of any particular type does it take to be considered a hoarder?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: hoarders - 04/20/22

I have my share of components.....hoarder.....nah

Just a smart shopper years ago.....

Primers $150/case shipped

8# jug of powder $160 shipped

Those were the days......
Posted By: P_Weed Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Some habit, some don't.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
maybe hoarder wasent the right classification more like scalper
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
A hoarder doesn't sell. A scalper does.
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Maybe hoarder wasn't the right classification, more like scalper.

- The surgeon who circumcised me didn't have a scalpel - I was surpised he pulled it off!
Posted By: EdM Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Guilty, with 80% of my last purchases prior to 2009 while living in Alberta. The remaining 20% were bought at Black Sheep in north Idaho or just what I owned.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
For the last decade+ I've generally keep enough primers (and rimfire ammo, and reloading components) on hand to not worry whether they'll be insufficient to last my lifetime. Have been doing this since the first "shortage" during the Clinton administration. So guess I am a hoarder--or just prepared.

Have sold a few primers to local friends who apparently don't shoot enough to have noticed the shortages, so always expected to be able to buy 200-300 primers at the local store.
Posted By: EdM Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For the last decade+ I've generally keep enough primers (and rimfire ammo, and reloading components) on hand to not worry whether they'll be insufficient to last my lifetime. Have been doing this since the first "shortage" during the Clinton administration. So guess I am a hoarder--or just prepared.

Have sold a few primers to local friends who apparently don't shoot enough to have noticed the shortages, so always expected to be able to buy 200-300 primers at the local store.

I recently gave (well we sort of traded Italian sausage from my home town in NorCal) to a fellow member 400 LR magnum primers at the annual 'fire hog hunt. He's teaching his daughters how to shoot a Sharps IIRC.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
The surgeon who circumcised me didn't have scalpel - I was surpised he pulled it off!

He he he...
That was so bad it ended up hilarious! smile
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
I have a “worst hoarder I’ve ever seen” story that I don’t believe can be topped. Good friend of mine here stored his components at two locations. One in a shed (with no electricity) behind his house and the second at another location.

Over the Clinton and Obama scares, I asked him from time to time “Hey, if you see any 210M’s I’d love to latch on to some”. Not that he owed me any such favor, but he’d say something like “umm hmm” and that was it.

Last year the shed behind the house caught fire….unknown how it managed to do so. Total loss. Primers, bullets, powder, live ammo…you name it. Son was a firefighter on the scene and sent me a video of everything cooking off.

He had in excess of two hundred thousand 210M’s alone! Plus a like amount of small rifle primers and pistol primers! Plus powder and ammo popping off. Ever light an entire pack of firecrackers? It sounded just like that, only more intense, for thirty or so minutes.

Sheriff’s dept here is very pro 2A and prevented any media types from latching on to this story and taking the narrative in God knows what direction.
Posted By: EdM Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I have my share of components.....hoarder.....nah

Just a smart shopper years ago.....

Primers $150/case shipped

8# jug of powder $160 shipped

Those were the days......

I still find powder at my LGS pretty fairly priced.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They are paying dearly for Retumbo (bought for a fellow forum member). Rl-15 seemed fair.

TAC was fair a couple of weeks ago as well.

Posted By: strikeu Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I have a “worst hoarder I’ve ever seen” story that I don’t believe can be topped. Good friend of mine here stored his components at two locations. One in a shed (with no electricity) behind his house and the second at another location.

Over the Clinton and Obama scares, I asked him from time to time “Hey, if you see any 210M’s I’d love to latch on to some”. Not that he owed me any such favor, but he’d say something like “umm hmm” and that was it.

Last year the shed behind the house caught fire….unknown how it managed to do so. Total loss. Primers, bullets, powder, live ammo…you name it. Son was a firefighter on the scene and sent me a video of everything cooking off.

He had in excess of two hundred thousand 210M’s alone! Plus a like amount of small rifle primers and pistol primers! Plus powder and ammo popping off. Ever light an entire pack of firecrackers? It sounded just like that, only more intense, for thirty or so minutes.

Sheriff’s dept here is very pro 2A and prevented any media types from latching on to this story and taking the narrative in God knows what direction.

two.....hundred..........THOUSAND.......210M's. JHFC
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: hoarders - 04/20/22

question is, did his home owners insurance pay for the loss
Posted By: luvrifles Re: hoarders - 04/20/22

Surprised those primers didn't go all at once. That would've been a show.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Nah, just half a truck load.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Some habit, some don't.

I believe that those who do are called nuns.
Posted By: cotis Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
The surgeon who circumcised me didn't have scalpel - I was surpised he pulled it off!

He he he...

Mine hurt so bad I didn’t walk for two years crazy

I looked at my ammo and reloading stash this past weekend. I still feel a ways away from being called a hoarder, I still call it “prepared”. Would like to have some more, mainly primers.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22

Anyone that didn’t see this when Clinton was President hasn’t a leg to stand on. Bitch and moan, call people names and whine because you didn’t notice. There was plenty of time and components coming into the shortage that didn’t have bearing on the shortage we see now.

If it was to start all over, the same people would be out of ammunition and components, looking at those who had the stuff as scalpers and hoarders.
Posted By: blanket Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Anyone that didn’t see this when Clinton was President hasn’t a leg to stand on. Bitch and moan, call people names and whine because you didn’t notice. There was plenty of time and components coming into the shortage that didn’t have bearing on the shortage we see now.

If it was to start all over, the same people would be out of ammunition and components, looking at those who had the stuff as scalpers and hoarders.

Yes and before
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
I own the exact same school of thought JB has on how much is enough and am so situated. Know a lot of fellow shooters who are still scrambling for necessities to keep shooting...mb
Posted By: bcp Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
I was adequately stocked, but have acquired rifles in chamberings I had no bullets or cases for. And only now becoming available in a limited selection.

Never could see spending money on components for which I had no rifle and no intention at the time. But rifle deals "too good to pass up" happen.

Bruce
Posted By: blanket Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22

And you are happy why??? What a piece of crap you are
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
I was lucky enough to come across a couple outstanding deals on primers and powder in the last 4-5 years and set with all things rifle. I was not as prepared for feeding my revolvers. Now I’m having to re-evaluate and make alternate plans.
Posted By: Region6 Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
Old news, that only effects those who just started shooting or those who never shot much. It’s not new, it will go away and will happen again.
Posted By: Craigster Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by blanket

Where did he say he was happy?
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22

What are you talking about? Godogs57 is a stand-up guy.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: ammo scalpers - 04/20/22
To the non-prepared anyone who is prepared is a hoarder.
Posted By: ldholton Re: hoarders - 04/20/22

Well there's nothing wrong or inaccurate about your statement some people that deal with age/income may not have been quite so fortunate and to be took advantage of by scalpers and such is absolutely b******* I am fortunate enough to pretty much be in the same boat as the above statement but I will never hesitate to absolutely destroy whenever possible such [bleep] of scalpers and hoarders that will never shoot what they have on hand.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by ldholton

Well there's nothing wrong or inaccurate about your statement some people that deal with age/income may not have been quite so fortunate and to be took advantage of by scalpers and such is absolutely b******* I am fortunate enough to pretty much be in the same boat as the above statement but I will never hesitate to absolutely destroy whenever possible such [bleep] of scalpers and hoarders that will never shoot what they have on hand.

AFAIC, it's a badge of honor to have more than you will ever shoot. Doesn't mean your family, friends and heirs won't get there.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
I have maintained a good stash based on consumption,
lately our 22 consumption has went up. It's now available
and not terribly expensive, a picture of Jackson gets a box of Auto Match.
2 boxes per Wally World trip is no big deal.....Each box gets dated and
The price marked on it.

Shortages are coming again, if I'm not sitting on 10k 22LLR or more for
the next one, shame on me.

Inflation + scalpers fee =$100/325 next go round.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by muleshoe
To the non-prepared anyone who is prepared is a hoarder.

Yep, and there are a lot of unprepared people out there. We're not just talking about ammo and reloading components either. Such things as food, household supplies, critical parts, fuel, cash, are all things that a person should keep an adequate supply of on hand. Just in case.........whatever that case might be.
Posted By: joken2 Re: hoarders - 04/20/22

Friend and former coworker, also an avid hunter, has been stockpiling factory ammo in assorted center-fire and rim-fire calibers as well as shotgun gauges any time he found it priced right for at least 25 years.

Many would likely place him in the hoarder category, but personally, I'm leaning more toward seeing him as prophetic...
Posted By: ringworm Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
If you live in south Florida and you see the news saying a Hurricaine is forming, then for days they say it's coming, then they say it's 100% certain that it's going to hit....
The you see the clouds and the wind and THEN you want to buy some plywood and a generator?
Tough chit. You deserve what you get.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: hoarders - 04/20/22

You owe him an apology. If I have to explain to you why then you are beyond redemption.
Hoarding has its' advantages...

I can hide in any room in my house, in plain sight, and you'd never find me.

- Waldo
Posted By: sidepass Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I own the exact same school of thought JB has on how much is enough and am so situated. Know a lot of fellow shooters who are still scrambling for necessities to keep shooting...mb

Another class mate here.
Posted By: hanco Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Those that were smart enough to hoard after the first shortage have supplies. Those that didn’t stock up, well they are like this little piggie. They cry all the way home and at home, because they didn’t.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: hoarders - 04/20/22
Hanco, you and I usually have the same point of view. Not being critical here but I for one will not let anyone define the quantity of anything I think I need or will use. I don't spend any bodies money but mine. Biggest part of the shortages problems of today are simply based on the fact that a lot of scrambling would be buyers are still guilty of thought line that they should be able to buy what they want , when they want , for how much they want to pay. THAT is why they didn't keep supplied to meet their needs. They pissed away their extra cash on pizza and beer instead of primers , powder and bullets that they knew they would need....mb
Posted By: blanket Re: ammo scalpers - 04/21/22

Sorry and apology need and given thought you were making an issue that he wouldn't share
Posted By: TomT Re: ammo scalpers - 04/21/22
“ to the non-prepared anyone who is prepared is a hoarder.“
Well said.

I’ll not feel guilty for buying a bit every few weeks, over years, when times were good (available/cheap). I personally do not try to profit, by selling what I paid $30 for, at a very inflated rate. However, I don’t fault those that try. America, free market system and all. Nobody has to buy it at the inflated prices, and I would suggest against it. YMMV
Posted By: ringworm Re: ammo scalpers - 04/21/22
[Linked Image from study.com]
Posted By: flintlocke Re: ammo scalpers - 04/21/22
I should have been a hoarder in hindsight.Ten years ago, I bought a 20# steel keg of 4320, thought it would see me into the grave...not even. Discontinuing 4320 caught me with pants clear down to the ankles. I used it to good effect in so many places, it left me scrambling to fill the vacuum. Now I have 3 powders, that perform 'almost' as well....annoying.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: ammo scalpers - 04/21/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hanco, you and I usually have the same point of view. Not being critical here but I for one will not let anyone define the quantity of anything I think I need or will use. I don't spend any bodies money but mine. Biggest part of the shortages problems of today are simply based on the fact that a lot of scrambling would be buyers are still guilty of thought line that they should be able to buy what they want , when they want , for how much they want to pay. THAT is why they didn't keep supplied to meet their needs. They pissed away their extra cash on pizza and beer instead of primers , powder and bullets that they knew they would need....mb

That's how I look at it. Clinton taught us a lesson. You either noticed or you didn't..
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: hoarders - 04/21/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Those that were smart enough to hoard after the first shortage have supplies. Those that didn’t stock up, well they are like this little piggie. They cry all the way home and at home, because they didn’t.

Acquiring what you need in advance when it’s available and affordable isn’t hoarding, except to those who didn’t. It’s simply being responsible, prudent, and frugal.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: ammo scalpers - 04/21/22
Some of us also don't have the good fortune of being 92 years old so we could scoop up all those primers at $9/1000 35 years ago. 🤷‍♂️

I feel kind of sorry for the kids just trying to get into shooting and loading now, because it's an expensive time to start, especially since that's generally the part of your life when you're flatazz broke to begin with.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: hoarders - 04/21/22
I call it my red neck 401-K.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: hoarders - 04/21/22
Originally Posted by zcm82
Some of us also don't have the good fortune of being 92 years old so we could scoop up all those primers at $9/1000 35 years ago. 🤷‍♂️

I feel kind of sorry for the kids just trying to get into shooting and loading now, because it's an expensive time to start, especially since that's generally the part of your life when you're flatazz broke to begin with.

Not quite 92, but prior to the cyclical shortages I usually bought components “just in time” for my limited loading needs, but learned the lesson fairly early and took steps to prevent betting caught again. You’re correct that starting to handload now is tough sledding, but that will change in time, sooner for those who start acquiring supplies and hardware as it appears instead of trying to jump in with both feet, which may be hard to do for a while.

Meanwhile, common ammunition can be had at prices not too far from “normal”, once inflation is factored in. Anyone should be able to afford $.30 9mm, $.09 .22, and $.60 .223, unless they have the spray and pray mindset, or are too broke to indulge in hobby spending at all.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: hoarders - 04/21/22
PRIMERS IN STOCK! Powder Valley has 50 BMG primers, 500 for $450.00. Get them while you can.
Posted By: Chisos Re: hoarders - 04/21/22
Originally Posted by zcm82

It's tough for anyone who is reloading or just deciding to get into reloading. I've been doing this for 50 years and today I've got two Ponsness Warren shotshell loaders which are basically boat anchors because of exorbitant price of shot. But what astounds me, being a long time member of other shooting forums, is the number of people who are posting these days and moaning about shortages, are some of the same people who were crying about the same thing back in the 2011-2013. I don't have much sympathy for people who can't learn the lessons.
P.S. I was so broke then I started reloading, it was a grand day when I could afford to buy 200 primers instead of the usual one pack of 100.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

What are you talking about? Godogs57 is a stand-up guy.

I have two questions for Blanket: How on earth could you infer I was “happy” about that event? Second, how long have you been without oxygen?

200K + 210M’s . 200K + small rifle, ~200k pistol primers of small and large size. Unreal…
Posted By: blanket Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
Still obsessed with your friends inventory? I couldn't give two craps about what he had but seems you do
Posted By: Swamplord Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
I went through the Clinton era without shortage on componets, same for Y2K, ditto for 2 terms of that installed pos evil dark homo some of you call president, current situation has no effect

If you own guns & reload . you should have at least 2 bricks of primers, 2000 bullets, 1000 pcs of brass and enough powder to load up the 2000 primers ... per firearm in possession

if you own guns & don't reload then you should have 2000 rounds of ammo per firearm owned .....,,

if you don't .... then it's your fkn problem & not the dudes who have more than that, even tenfold more than that

why do you own guns without ammo or components for them ? w t f are they good for ?

mind your business & buy your own sh it
Posted By: JamesJr Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
it's all about priorities, and what a person feels is important to them. I've got an adequate supply of both ammo and reloading components, and have had for a long time...........and I'm still laying in supplies when I can find them. I always have to laugh when I read on here where someone is complaining about some old man buying up all the ammo at Walmart, or going around to all the gun stores and buying up primers and powder, before they have a chance to. That old man realizes that you can't sit on your azz and wait for something to happen, instead you have to go and get what you want.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I always have to laugh when I read on here where someone is complaining about some old man buying up all the ammo at Walmart, or going around to all the gun stores and buying up primers and powder, before they have a chance to. That old man realizes that you can't sit on your azz and wait for something to happen, instead you have to go and get what you want.

THIS
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by Swamplord
I went through the Clinton era without shortage on componets, same for Y2K, ditto for 2 terms of that installed pos evil dark homo some of you call president, current situation has no effect

If you own guns & reload . you should have at least 2 bricks of primers, 2000 bullets, 1000 pcs of brass and enough powder to load up the 2000 primers ... per firearm in possession

if you own guns & don't reload then you should have 2000 rounds of ammo per firearm owned .....,,

if you don't .... then it's your fkn problem & not the dudes who have more than that, even tenfold more than that

why do you own guns without ammo or components for them ? w t f are they good for ?

mind your business & buy your own sh it

Might quibble a little over the numbers, but you pretty much nailed it. I get pretty tired of all the name calling from the grasshoppers every time things get tight.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
Still obsessed with your friends inventory? I couldn't give two craps about what he had but seems you do

Never obsessed with the inventory other than the shock value of the sheer amount. Much more than the average guy has. More obsessed with getting my firefighter son back safely.

Have a great weekend.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: ammo scalpers - 04/22/22
No thread provides such (gladly accepted) opportunity for self-aggrandizement and arm-wrenching patting of one's own back as one about ammunition/component shortages.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: ammo scalpers - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad
No thread provides such (gladly accepted) opportunity for self-aggrandizement and arm-wrenching patting of one's own back as one about ammunition/component shortages.

And none provides for such whining, gnashing of teeth and finger pointing of those that didn't internalize the multitude of signals and prepare..
Posted By: slumlord Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
I was just the farmers co-op

Picked up another jewel box of Mini Mags.

Didnt need em, probably be dead before they get fired. But I got em.

Oh and a big By the way....to the Hillary is being indicted tomorrow, the 5-G vaccine phone signal people, the Ukraine is the only place fertilizer comes from and its gonna be $80 a chicken little sky is falling Alex Jones, never heard of Foghat people...

Got a bag of Triple 15 for $22. Not a whole hell of a lot diff in price than last year.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: hoarders - 04/22/22

I don't know, but you seem to be the one obsessed.. Or lacking inventory..
Posted By: 5sdad Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt

And none provides for such whining, gnashing of teeth and finger pointing of those that didn't internalize the multitude of signals and prepare..

Any time one crops up, compare the number of "whining" responses to the number of "lecturing" responses.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: hoarders - 04/22/22
Stevedad1: So YOU are saying that the scalpers are going to loose money?
How so, I ask?
If the "scalpers" you are worried about so much bought the ammo "cheaper" than they are trying to sell it for - they are either going to sell it for more than they bought it for... OR.... they are going to sell it at what they bought it for - or is there a third option you are hoping will come about?
Such as.... they will sell it for LESS than what they bought it for?
I highly doubt that will occur on a large enough scale to harm anyone (any scalper!) financially anytime in the foreseeable future.
The few "scalpers" I know are patient, profiting and sadly, in my opinion, are NOT being harmed at all financially by their schemes!
I am CERTAIN there is more to the ongoing high prices and lack of ammunition and components than JUST scalpers!
That is what irks me - not so local yokel making a profit on ammo resales.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: local_dirt Re: hoarders - 04/22/22

Any time one crops up, compare the number of "whining" responses to the number of "lecturing" responses.

About even, far as I can tell. Maybe slightly more whining.
Posted By: Calvin Re: hoarders - 04/23/22
Seemed to be plenty of ammo on federal's website when I checked today. I could easily buy enough today to hunt for the next 10 years at a minimum.
Posted By: COLORADO_LUCKYDOG Re: ammo scalpers - 04/23/22
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

He he he...

Mine hurt so bad I didn’t walk for two years crazy

I looked at my ammo and reloading stash this past weekend. I still feel a ways away from being called a hoarder, I still call it “prepared”. Would like to have some more, mainly primers.

Originally Posted by P_Weed
Some habit, some don't.

I believe that those who do are called nuns.

Well played Sir!!!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: ammo scalpers - 04/23/22
I always appreciate it when someone can follow the bumblebee flight of my mind.
Posted By: blanket Re: ammo scalpers - 04/23/22

I don't know, but you seem to be the one obsessed.. Or lacking inventory..

Can make do
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: ammo scalpers - 04/23/22
When Clinton showed the gun grabbers hand I had a good supply of what I used. Over the years I accumulated a great supply of what I use.

Not a hoarder but prepared for future needs. If the price is right I'll add to what I have. Example, couple months ago local farm n barn had 50gr v-max at pre inflation pricing. Bought a bunch as my 223s like them.
© 24hourcampfire