Home
Posted By: rickt300 SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
I have rifles for many different cartridges, too many probably. I was considering trading some and selling some to have more rifles in commonly available cartridges like 5.56 and 7.62x51/308. Even the 7.62x39 is easily available. I also have the ability to put together a lot of 270,280AI 30-06,7-08, 243 and 260 Remington rounds together. Normally since I shoot reloads in these rifles for specific things like target or hunting I don't have a lot of them loaded for each rifle, possibly 80 or so rounds ready for each of them. With the coming mid terms I feel the left will create some chaos like they did before the 2020 election using BLM or Antifa as their brownshirts. This election being a bit more serious for them as this changing of the guard may just bring lawsuits against many of the leftist scum politicians and prison for many. Rifles I am thinking of selling or trading would be chambered in cartridges like 6.5 Grendel, 30-30, 30-30AI, 280AI, 7x57, 8x57.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
"Easy to find"

Lol
SHTF?
You need a few hundred rounds.
Most, will never fire much of that.

Stock piles are for others,
recreational/training,
Or
fantasy.

Ain't gonna be many Johnny Rambos out there shooting
bunches of enemy.
Commonality with cops and troops, seems prudent
Posted By: IA_fog Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
But also comfort factor is very important. To me I’m way more comfortable with my 25-06 than any firearm i have. Very confident in it out to 350-400 yards
I have 400 loaded for this in deer and coyote
I did the same conversation with my self many times and have reduced the herd to what i use and shtf situation
Ammo,,, your choice but having too much can you carry it all if you have to leave?
I do have a couple thousand for caliber defense guns and enough supplies to reload that much cause i doubt anyone in a gang would even understand how to reload so that to me is an advantage (let them steal the loaded stuff they find)
Just my view
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
SHTF?

recreational/training,
Or
fantasy.

bunches of enemy.

True
Posted By: Teal Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Commonality with cops and troops, seems prudent

Why I own a Glock and AR. No other reason.
Wolverines!
Posted By: slumlord Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Potato gun with Russet wad column, 1-1/2 “ pipe b-omb launched at dude’s singlewide trailer stacked with Lil Debbies and a 410k’s worth of .22 ammo
There's a reason nearly all of my centerfire rifles are current or former military rounds:

223/5.56
7.62x39
30-06
45-70.....(I know, I know....grin)

There is also a reason most of my handguns are 9mm.

Regular fmj ammo is usually available, and costs less than sporting ammo. I'm not a hoarder, but I keep a supply of 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, and 9mm on hand. When things get stupid, that plain old ball ammo will be looking pretty darn good.
Posted By: johnw Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
I've got 100 rounds of Mini mag hollow point, 100 rounds of IMI m193 ball, and 50 rounds of Gold Dot 9mm laid back for TEOTWAWKI

Plenty, and more than plenty...
Posted By: rickt300 Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
There's a reason nearly all of my centerfire rifles are current or former military rounds:

223/5.56
7.62x39
30-06

Regular fmj ammo is usually available, and costs less than sporting ammo. I'm not a hoarder, but I keep a supply of 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, and 9mm on hand. When things get stupid, that plain old ball ammo will be looking pretty darn good.

Seems at times it has been very effective!
Originally Posted by IA_fog
But also comfort factor is very important. To me I’m way more comfortable with my 25-06 than any firearm i have. Very confident in it out to 350-400 yards
I have 400 loaded for this in deer and coyote
I did the same conversation with my self many times and have reduced the herd to what i use and shtf situation
Ammo,,, your choice but having too much can you carry it all if you have to leave?
I do have a couple thousand for caliber defense guns and enough supplies to reload that much cause i doubt anyone in a gang would even understand how to reload so that to me is an advantage (let them steal the loaded stuff they find)
Just my view

I like my 270 rifles also. All three tackdrivers, have a bunch of brass and very familiar with them. Not looking at the ammo as only to supply myself but other family members if needed.
Posted By: gunzo Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Commonality is a good thing, but if you're still standing to the point of grabbing ammo of a downed solder or cop, then obtaining the weapon is as easy. Only saying, you can use any serviceable weapon to get a better one.

I'm big on redundancy. Whatever is picked, have 2. And, have food for them scattered about. Like DB said, ya won't need a lot. But just having it might mean living. A couple boxes of shells behind the seat of the truck, couple more out in the garage, etc. could be handier than a can of a 1000 rounds on the shelf in the gun room.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Pick up the guns and ammo from the troops that are dead.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

How well armed do you think the Average BLM or Antifa "grunt" will be? Seems they mostly carried matches and flammables. Not looking at having to face off with American troops or cops though in some states it seem the cops are the bad guys, for instance Oregon.
With a few boxes of .22 LR and my 75 year old Remington 512 bolt action, plus some decent stalking skills, I can have all the fancy rifles and hoarded ammo I want.
Posted By: viking Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
22lr and 12 gauge
Posted By: ingwe Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
SHTF?

Agree but I'm sure to keep on hand gun(s) that will handle NATO cartridges ( read 5.56 and 9mm) and a pile of ammo for both.....knowing I wont use much of it as has been said, but I want to have it to hand out to anybody on my team that needs it.....
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
SHTF?
. . . . Ain't gonna be many Johnny Rambos out there shooting
bunches of enemy.

True

^ ^ ^ these^ ^ ^
I know of a bunch of cul-de-sac commandos
that have their tac vest and operator clothing
all ready for judgment day
IMO if I were a law enforcement officer or soldier
or one of the boys from "Road Warrior " or
"The Road " that's the first place I'd be looking
for victims to loot.
The people that will make it will be those that
are hiding in the bushes and not popping off
magazines full of rounds as fast as they can
jam one in their gun.
Soldiers and law enforcement officers survive
firefights because they can call in near unlimited
back up personnel or call air support or call in
a grid of artillery to make their point.
Smart people will be avoiding any interaction with
unfriendlies
Whatever firearm you have at SHTF will most likely
be adequate as long as you have a supply of fodder
and can carry everything for 16-18 hours everyday
I got one bullet like Barney.........
Originally Posted by Ranger99
SHTF?
bunches of enemy.

True

^ ^ ^ these^ ^ ^
for victims to loot.
jam one in their gun.
unfriendlies

Avoiding interaction with unfriendlies is a fine idea until it becomes impossible. Hiding in your house isn't all that good an idea either. I would think a neighborhood security plan would have to be put in place with checkpoints, a warning system and patrols.
It doesn't matter.

You'll be dead within days, if not hours, if you go out larping.

But have fun with the fantasy until then I guess.
If you're in the country (+50 miles from big city), a .22lr and shotgun would be dandy. If you want to be a Rambo, bump it up to .22mag. If you have to "move", it would be far easier to hump 500 rounds of .22 than a larger caliber ammo...weight and bulk.
Originally Posted by rickt300

How well armed do you think the Average BLM or Antifa "grunt" will be? Seems they mostly carried matches and flammables. Not looking at having to face off with American troops or cops though in some states it seem the cops are the bad guys, for instance Oregon.

I would expect that the BLM/Antifa types may come out a little bit better armed this time around. If they are half as organized as we think they are, the word has probably gotten around about Rittenhouse and the hardcore/militant types are likely to be equally prepared. If they come out to play, I'm sure the sound of gunfire will become a lot more common from their side....
Posted By: ol_mike Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
SHTF?
bunches of enemy.

True

^ ^ ^ these^ ^ ^
for victims to loot.
jam one in their gun.
unfriendlies

Avoiding interaction with unfriendlies is a fine idea until it becomes impossible. Hiding in your house isn't all that good an idea either. I would think a neighborhood security plan would have to be put in place with checkpoints, a warning system and patrols.

Everybody I know wants me to join in on getting a plan together,,,,, I tell them, hale NO,,, I'm sitting here eating chipsNdips, honey hand me another pepsi, man I love this barca lounger
Posted By: Esox357 Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
SHTF?

recreational/training,
Or
fantasy.

bunches of enemy.

Exactly after watching many cave to the "shot", most won't do schit!
What Shane said

223/5.56
7.62x39
30-06

Originally Posted by David_Walter
What Shane said

223/5.56
7.62x39
30-06

Ditto here. 👍….+9mm. Magazine commonality is also a consideration for me.
Posted By: viking Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Gotta throw in the Krag
Keep the 30-30. Were not lever guns in a variety of calibers the AW of their day.
It doesn't attract attention.
Save the tactical stuff for when it gets nasty.
I'm in the battlefield pickup camp as well.
The hardest part for most will be getting their mind around what has to be done in such a scenario. Most can’t or won’t and all the gear is useless without the will to employ it.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
OhHale schitt bustin-off - shooting , cops out in force- announce SHELTER IN PLACE ,, SWAT comes to door with a warrant that says you're a felon and aren't allowed to own a firearm.

So you open the door and discuss it with them, now you're cuffed and headed to jail, you say help help but nobody do-nuffin.
I have only a wrist rocket, and a bag of marbles.
I can get what I need with that !
I had a wrist rocket...used Taconite pellets I picked up along the railroad tracks.
SHTF?

recreational/training,
Or
fantasy.

bunches of enemy.

There's a word. It's Survival.

Chew on it a minute..
Originally Posted by Teal
The hardest part for most will be getting their mind around what has to be done in such a scenario. Most can’t or won’t and all the gear is useless without the will to employ it.

There's a lotta truth in that right there.
What Shane said

223/5.56
7.62x39
30-06

Same same.. Although I don't own a .308.
I wonder what the Ukrainians think about only having “a few hundred rounds” for a SHTF scenario?

Whatever side you choose about the Russia/Ukraine thing, there’s a lot to learn about urban combat happening right now.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Potato gun with Russet wad column, 1-1/2 “ pipe b-omb launched at dude’s singlewide trailer stacked with Lil Debbies and a 410k’s worth of .22 ammo

I'll confess that I actually LOL'd at this.
Diversity is key for me at least. Regardless of what ammo I find laying around, chances are pretty good that I can use it. wink
Posted By: OGB Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
I had a wrist rocket...used Taconite pellets I picked up along the railroad tracks.

Must be thing of the past. Can't count the number of people I've had to explain Taconite to. As kids we'd take an ice cream bucket to the tracks and get a weekend worth.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
The consideration has played a certain element in some of my
More recent purchases. 9mm high cap pistol would prob be the most obvious example - I’m not a giant fan of the round, nor as much an enthusiast of pistols as I am of revolvers. Whatever though. I have a .308 and like the round for hunting independent of any commonality factor, but I look at rifles chambered in it more so, now.

While the cartridge/caliber doesn’t really fit the bill well at all, I like the idea of having a lever rifle in 44 mag around. Companion cartridge for revo and all. Ten in the tube. Not an AR by any means, but, as someone else mentioned, harkens back to a day when it was. Still fairly functional in that role. Kinda.

I’ll also admit I bought 800 rounds of ball ammo for
The 9. And at an inflated price.whatever.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
I plan to load up the guns and barricade myself in the nearest Dollar Tree.

I'll live like a king until the apricot nectar and Teddy Grahams run out
Posted By: SamOlson Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
I'm a simpleton and not into the tactical scene. Own several bolt action hunting rifles and a lifetime supply of components for each one. That was the plan 14 years ago..

Moving forward to the current situation I've migrated from hunting to defensive.

Last two pistols I bought were 9mm, already had a couple so that keeps ammo supply very simple.

Maybe get another AR-15(pistol), and keep buying a little ammo.
What you better have is a way to get fresh drinking water. If the SHTF and they turn the juice off, the one thing more precious than gold and .22 rounds is H2O.

I have a windless and can pull the pump and drop a bucket and have enough for my self and my family. I also have a solar panel that will power the pump till it plays out.

I have some ammo and few weapons, in different counties. I will bug out from where I am to the country around my kin.
Originally Posted by worriedman
What you better have is a way to get fresh drinking water. If the SHTF and they turn the juice off, the one thing more precious than gold and .22 round is H2O.

I have a windless and can pull the pump and drop a bucket and have enough for my self and my family. I also have a solar panel that will power the pump till it plays out.

I have some ammo and few weapons, in different counties. I will bug out from where I am to the country around my kin.

Israeli Water-Gen. Solar powered.
Posted By: slumlord Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
Originally Posted by auk1124

There’s no way you could defend it.

After the Gucci store, it’d be next 😃🤣💀💀💀
I wonder what the Ukrainians think about only having “a few hundred rounds” for a SHTF scenario?

Whatever side you choose about the Russia/Ukraine thing, there’s a lot to learn about urban combat happening right now.

yep, Canada or Mexico could invade any day now.
Originally Posted by worriedman
What you better have is a way to get fresh drinking water. If the SHTF and they turn the juice off, the one thing more precious than gold and .22 rounds is H2O.

Plus side of living on Lake Michigan.

Freshwater is close, plentiful and unlikely to "go dry".
Posted By: Stophel Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/24/22
When the S hits the F, the opponent won't be BLM or Antifa or roving bands of zombies. They're gonna be wearing body armor, carrying M4's, and have lots of capital letters printed on their uniforms...
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm a simpleton and not into the tactical scene. Own several bolt action hunting rifles and a lifetime supply of components for each one. That was the plan 14 years ago..

Moving forward to the current situation I've migrated from hunting to defensive.

Last two pistols I bought were 9mm, already had a couple so that keeps ammo supply very simple.

Were I you (or any livestock producer), I’d be figuring out how to keep my cows from being stole or shot/halfass butchered in the scenario as commonly envisioned and posted. All that walking meat will be a mighty tempting target. Sucks being in the acres to cows part of the country instead of the inverse in this.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Were I you (or any livestock producer), I’d be figuring out how to keep my cows from being stole or shot/halfass butchered in the scenario as commonly envisioned and posted. All that walking meat will be a mighty tempting target. Sucks being in the acres to cows part of the country instead of the inverse in this.

Good point and I'd think enlisting the help of neighbors for protection as trade for some of that beef is likely to be a viable tactic.
Originally Posted by Stophel
When the S hits the F, the opponent won't be BLM or Antifa or roving bands of zombies. They're gonna be wearing body armor, carrying M4's, and have lots of capital letters printed on their uniforms...

Yes and no - immediate S hit the F opponents will depend on where you live.

Those armored threats will start in the cities and push people into the countryside so those of us that live there are likely to be dealing with Antifa arseholes first - THEN the Kevlar clad shock troops.

Both will require an "answer" if you want to keep on living.
22lr with a can and a 9mm for up close surprise encounter. I’ve got thousands of acres of wilderness swamp just up the road and the skill to disappear into it. Let the initial chaos sort itself out and all the stupid brave and weak die. Start coming out a little bit to figure out the aftermath and how to work things out.
Posted By: gunzo Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22

Good point and I'd think enlisting the help of neighbors for protection as trade for some of that beef is likely to be a viable tactic.

A big time talking point IMO.

But what would a redneck from rural Ky, back east & all know about these things. Ky. is the largest beef cattle producer east of the Mississippi. I can see 50 to 70 pretty black cows from my from my front porch.. Drive 5 mi. S. & view 200 more. Turn west for 2 mils & there's a feed lot with 450. Opportunities/problems. Big ones.
Opportunities a plenty, for some meat along with a guarding job. Otherwise, be a starving thief that's willing to kill a cow for whatever can be carved off one in 2 minutes & risking getting shot for it .

Plan for multiple scenarios, or have a bowl of ice cream & watch Oprah.
I am not selling anything but i might be buying. grin

As far as caliber goes i have the normal ones.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22

I have thought about this.

The government might confiscate your cows/grain whatever...

I can't fight that battle.

You're dead.

But if it's just a battle against your fellow citizens we're good.
Stay on good terms with the people in your community.

We would band together in a fight.

Trade a few cows to the right people for help.
Stay on good terms with the people in your community.

We would band together in a fight.

Trade a few cows to the right people for help.

Yep.
And of course beyond on our respective (local)communities lies this wonderful place.
Posted By: rlott Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
It will be over for half or more of the population in the first week, cops, blm and antifa included, when the diabetes, cardiac and copd drug supply dries up.
Who the fugk wants to live in post apocalyptic America. You really want to shoot a 12yo in the face for a can of Vienna sausages? JFC, be a man and put a 45 in your brain pan.

If you live in a subdivision, better make that sooner than later.
If not, make sure you have a defendable location with access to freshwater. I do.
Originally Posted by Stophel

You mean.. Chinese?
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Who the fugk wants to live in post apocalyptic America. You really want to shoot a 12yo in the face for a can of Vienna sausages? JFC, be a man and put a 45 in your brain pan.

That's why I'm partying my ass off right now.

Fuuck it.
I watched part of the Johnny Depp trial(woman had it on TV...) and started thinking to myself...

WTF are you doing Sam?

Party now and die later.
Posted By: Dutch Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
Originally Posted by rlott
It will be over for half or more of the population in the first week, cops, blm and antifa included, when the diabetes, cardiac and copd drug supply dries up.

Can you imagine what it will be like when the anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs run out? Yikes!
Posted By: irfubar Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by rlott

Can you imagine what it will be like when the anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs run out? Yikes!

Many Karen's will freak the fugk out....
Posted By: Sycamore Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
Originally Posted by auk1124

There’s no way you could defend it.

After the Gucci store, it’d be next 😃🤣💀💀💀

I thought the OP was thinking like Slumlord, then find out Slumlord already considered that plan!
Posted By: ribka Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
What would Zelenskyy do?

I have rifles for many different cartridges, too many probably. I was considering trading some and selling some to have more rifles in commonly available cartridges like 5.56 and 7.62x51/308. Even the 7.62x39 is easily available. I also have the ability to put together a lot of 270,280AI 30-06,7-08, 243 and 260 Remington rounds together. Normally since I shoot reloads in these rifles for specific things like target or hunting I don't have a lot of them loaded for each rifle, possibly 80 or so rounds ready for each of them. With the coming mid terms I feel the left will create some chaos like they did before the 2020 election using BLM or Antifa as their brownshirts. This election being a bit more serious for them as this changing of the guard may just bring lawsuits against many of the leftist scum politicians and prison for many. Rifles I am thinking of selling or trading would be chambered in cartridges like 6.5 Grendel, 30-30, 30-30AI, 280AI, 7x57, 8x57.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22

Yeah, from the mouth of my friends that just got home from Ukraine (they are going back in two weeks), the "urban combat" that is happening is being shelled from 3-4 miles out with the occasional plain-clothes Russian sneaking up on their compound throwing in a hand grenade through the foyer door, or trying to sneak into the premises to murder people at night with their knife.

As far as the small arms fire, most of the gunshots they hear are NDs from citizen/militia dudes that are trying to get trained up just in case.

Point of reference is Kiev. They got home last Thursday, which its a three day trip.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
If I'm part of a larger group of people, I'd carry whatever they have to share ammunition and magazines. If I'm on my own going through things day to day staying as gray as possible in a populated area, a Glock 19 and two to three extra mags are what I want and I'll keep it concealed. If I'm in a sparsely populated area with the potential for shots out to about 600 yards ala our farm, a suppressed RECCE style rifle with a 1-6x is what I'll have. And to be honest, I'll try not to be seen as much as possible.

Frankly, SHTF you're better off being lucky than good. You're better off being dismissed than thinking you're Jason Bourne. While the rest of society will see organization fail, organized crime will still be organized. They've been doing so covertly for decades and maintaining their strength. They are already better at this stuff than you are. That's not going to change. You'd better just get on your knees and pray. You're not prepared or cut out for this stuff.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
Always enjoyed the Ferfal blogspot. He describes living in Argentina with the world around him headed to the sewers... A lot of what he saw is possible here IMO. Lots of ideas about firearms and what is useful to have around...Personally I'm a fan of 22 magnum, 5.56, 9mm and 7.62..... 12 gauge to round it out.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com

WTF are you doing Sam?

Party now and die later.

👆 Wise words.

Conundrum resolved.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Always enjoyed the Ferfal blogspot. He describes living in Argentina with the world around him headed to the sewers... A lot of what he saw is possible here IMO. Lots of ideas about firearms and what is useful to have around...Personally I'm a fan of 22 magnum, 5.56, 9mm and 7.62..... 12 gauge to round it out.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com

That pretty much covers it if you have been paying attention.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
Seems to be a lot sitting around the old campfire, who plan to surrender. That's just not in my nature.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It doesn't matter.

SHTF can be a lot of different things.

I would never seek a decisive engagement against a superior force, that would be foolish. If ya don't believe me, ask Sun Tzu.

However, in situations of civil disorder, simply defending yourself, loved ones, and property could require the use of force. Having a sensible stock of weapons and ammo that can be replenished if needed, is not a horrible part of an overall survival strategy.
Posted By: MERWIN Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22

Going to need to keep a can of Aqua Net and a spare piezo BBQ lighter in your preps
Posted By: navlav8r Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

WTF are you doing Sam?

Party now and die later.

👆 Wise words.

Gotta have your priorities right. If you die now, you can’t party later 😁
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
It doesn't matter.

SHTF can be a lot of different things.

I would never seek a decisive engagement against a superior force, that would be foolish. If ya don't believe me, ask Sun Tzu.

However, in situations of civil disorder, simply defending yourself, loved ones, and property could require the use of force. Having a sensible stock of weapons and ammo that can be replenished if needed, is not a horrible part of an overall survival strategy.

Yep.
Posted By: Teal Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/25/22
I'd never go knock on doors but I have to be prepared when someone knocks on mine.
Roving bands of ANTIFA, BLM, looters in my neighborhood that attempt to break into houses are in trouble. Organized military with modern tactics and equipment would have little trouble mopping us up. Everything depends on the nature of the threat. Whether I have my Marlin 30-30 levergun or AR-10 in hand will not be nearly as important as who is attacking.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Roving bands of ANTIFA, BLM, looters in my neighborhood that attempt to break into houses are in trouble. Organized military with modern tactics and equipment would have little trouble mopping us up. Everything depends on the nature of the threat. Whether I have my Marlin 30-30 levergun or AR-10 in hand will not be nearly as important as who is attacking.

If you’re living in a “neighborhood” you’re already behind the curve.
Posted By: hookeye Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Kid lived in gentrified area. BLM " protest " had a couple hundred AA on her street all wound up.

They moved down to another street, nothing happened on hers.

Moved soon after.
Posted By: hookeye Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Went to restaurant in Indy, road construction coming in from NE side had us take the scenic route.

Industrial turned to rough housing area, pretty bad. Then 2 blocks and it was pastel redone homes w hipsters walking their pets. Proly only in daylight LOL.

When it blows up these folks are in a world of trouble.
2 friggin blocks, paying top dollar to live next to a friggin powder keg.

My kid was in a supposedly better area but the mob was rather mobile ( BLM march to Gov mansion ).

Yeah revitalizing old hoods is cool. Neat shops and places to eat. But get yo azz outta there by sundown.

Neighborhood is a loose term. Really about a dozen houses on a one road culdesac with three-four acre lots and surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods.
Posted By: blanket Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22

You need a 22 and use it
I just had an interesting conversation with the Class III collector who lives half a mile down the road from my place. He and two of his buddies all have .30 Caliber water cooled Browning MG's that they play with on his 600 yard range every now and then. We were discussing how to defend our little dead end gravel road in case the natives get restless.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Has anyone mentioned that it's better to have an '06 because you could shoot the neighbor's .270 rounds through it in a pinch? Headspace be damned.

crazy
Posted By: Valsdad Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22

Neighborhood is a loose term. Really about a dozen houses on a one road culdesac with three-four acre lots and surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods.

Hopefully there is a back exit through those woods?
Posted By: Seafire Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Seems the SHTF at my house several times a week.... I don't need much to deal with that... and none of it involves firearms..

Lost them all in that spring flood last year, when the river rose over its banks quite a bit....

Since I am a democRat, I didn't need to replace any of them... Uncle Joe told us all we don't need firearms..... He's the greatest President this nation has ever had..

Let's GO Brandon!
Posted By: Nestucca Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22

That's why I'm partying my ass off right now.

Fuuck it.

We saw the white claw picture yesterday. 😂😂
@jm depends on the "12yo". Gotta sketch?
SHTF?
bunches of enemy.

True

^ ^ ^ these^ ^ ^
for victims to loot.
jam one in their gun.
unfriendlies

Same guys run around boasting about what they got. They will be target number 1.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Yeah I've pondered how many times some alphabet agency signed on here ''let's see all of your hunting rifles''.
Then go to the shotgun/pistol forums ask again.
How much ammo is enough ammo?

Anybody have good survival skills?

What would you do during a SHTF CRISIS?

Hundreds of replies, > then again maybe that a good thing
Posted By: ol_mike Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Originally Posted by Seafire
Seems the SHTF at my house several times a week.... I don't need much to deal with that... and none of it involves firearms..

Lost them all in that spring flood last year, when the river rose over its banks quite a bit....

Since I am a democRat, I didn't need to replace any of them... Uncle Joe told us all we don't need firearms..... He's the greatest President this nation has ever had..

Let's GO Brandon!

John, as a minimum you need a shotgun to shoot up in the air like biden recommended.
Posted By: Teal Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Has anyone mentioned that it's better to have an '06 because you could shoot the neighbor's .270 rounds through it in a pinch? Headspace be damned.

crazy

I don't live in artist neighborhoods where people around me would own a 270
Posted By: jorgeI Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Those of you that live out in the country, will probably do ok for a while. Those of us in urban areas and of course big cities are toast. You just can't hold no matter how well armed/stocked you are. If history has taught us anything, is that Defensive Positions are well, indefensible. Your best chance is to be mobile and good luck with that....Wolvegeeks..
Posted By: ringworm Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
A simple durable bolt action 22LR is more valuable than any other I can think of.

😁😁😁😁😁😁
Originally Posted by ingwe
SHTF?

Agree but I'm sure to keep on hand gun(s) that will handle NATO cartridges ( read 5.56 and 9mm) and a pile of ammo for both.....knowing I wont use much of it as has been said, but I want to have it to hand out to anybody on my team that needs it.....

Yes. Thats why I stock up. With extra guns and ammo
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

yep, Canada or Mexico could invade any day now.

Mexico did, a bit over100 years ago - not sure the invasion isn't still occurring.
Maybe Canada's turn?
I think communications is key to any long term success. Comms with friends and neighbors and outlining communities to know what is and isn't coming. You seldom see people discuss comms, but if things are that bad, I'm assuming all cell and internet are down.
Is 38Super a good caliber?
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I think communications is key to any long term success. Comms with friends and neighbors and outlining communities to know what is and isn't coming. You seldom see people discuss comms, but if things are that bad, I'm assuming all cell and internet are down.

Even if they aren't but there's massive unrest - I'd throw my cell phone into the nearest lake and stay off the net.
Long term societal breakdown? I'm likin' my flintlocks. C.O.A.L. not an issue, headspaces easily, stub yer toe on primers, fuel from piss, sulfur and charcoal....not good if you live in town though.
If you live in New Orleans 4th ward...a flight of A10's wouldn't be enough.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Sure as he'll ain't pretending it's a joke and not going happen. My greatest fear is someone ending up with my stuff, including the alphabet agencies. Do you fight or flee with all you can carry? Do you burn your house - bunker with everything you own and can't carry? Do you have your mind right? And have any kind of plan of when you're going to throw the towel in and go for broke? Life's good live it while you can.
Part of the mental game will be knowing what to let go, possession wise, and what to fight for.

If someone wants to loot my motorcycle - I let it go. No sense burning ammo/energy for something that has little use in a SHTF scenario (it's a harley not enduro)
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by ingwe
SHTF?

Yes. Thats why I stock up. With extra guns and ammo

Ally guns.
Posted By: Rhodes Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
SHTF.....

Total Societal Breakdown......

Ya'll talking about some of the Charlton Heston Omega Man stuff?

If so, what you need to do is sell most of your guns, and get a small plane and learn to fly. That way when this deranged fantasy of the only people left in the US are roaming gangs of longhaired thugs wearing tires for armor, you just jump in your plane and fly down to Belize or the Caymans where you should have stashed your cash offshore ahead of time and let Thor and Achilles fight it out while you tan at the beach.

Look at it this way, at the rate of illegal immigration, there will be no natives left in Latin America in a year or two, so start scouting the abandoned land in the tropics. wink
Originally Posted by Rhodes
SHTF.....

If so, what you need to do is sell most of your guns, and get a small plane and learn to fly. That way when this deranged fantasy of the only people left in the US are roaming gangs of longhaired thugs wearing tires for armor, you just jump in your plane and fly down to Belize or the Caymans where you should have stashed your cash offshore ahead of time and let Thor and Achilles fight it out while you tan at the beach.

Look at it this way, at the rate of illegal immigration, there will be no natives left in Latin America in a year or two, so start scouting the abandoned land in the tropics. wink

Omega man in the US pretty much means close to it elsewhere. Of what use would cash be? The country that produced it no longer exists.

Learning to sail and navigate/plot courses - supreme value. Think more like Maximum Overdrive
Take a look at this first-hand account of a guy living in an actual SHTF situation:

https://lulz.com/surviving-a-year-of-shtf-in-90s-bosnia-war-selco-forum-thread/
Posted By: Rhodes Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
Originally Posted by Rhodes
SHTF.....

Omega man in the US pretty much means close to it elsewhere. Of what use would cash be? The country that produced it no longer exists.

Learning to sail and navigate/plot courses - supreme value. Think more like Maximum Overdrive

Water World?? smile
Posted By: MOGC Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 04/26/22
How many guys in this thread are taking daily meditations? Medication, medical treatment and clean water are huge problems in such a scenario.
Originally Posted by MOGC
How many guys in this thread are taking daily meditations? Medication, medical treatment and clean water are huge problems in such a scenario.

I tested positive for Covid on Sunday - outside of Ricola cough drops - I'm taking nothing.
Originally Posted by MOGC

That's a great point. The recent lockdown and ongoing supply chain issues have served to show us just how vulnerable and dependent on outside forces many of us are.
Question - how many are taking daily meds that they might not need?

You see the commercials - "Headaches? Happens on full moons in the month if June? Take this once daily pill, 365 days a year to prevent an issue that happens 3-7 times a year" - likely many (not all) can pare down their medication requirements. Much of what people take today is for better quality of life, not necessarily survival of life.

Would we all want better quality - yep but I'm not gonna risk my life over it. I'd learn to adjust until things got good again.
Posted By: ringworm Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 05/01/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

sí, no puedo pensar en uno mejor.
Posted By: ringworm Re: SHTF firearm conversation - 05/01/22
Soylent green is Taco Bell.
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by CashisKing

sí, no puedo pensar en uno mejor.

Спасибі, але я думав, що 6.5 Creedmoor був кінцевим калібром?
© 24hourcampfire