Home
Posted By: wabigoon Will pickups get any cheaper? - 06/05/22
Pickups, or anything else, for that matter?
No
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Maybe after the EMP
EMP?
Would be nice if the market gets flooded with pristine examples that have never pulled or hauled anything.
Maybe, if you can't afford to drive them.
Not anytime soon.
EMP?

Electro Magnetic Pulse….detonating a nuclear weapon high in the atmosphere will fry electronics. Russia has recently threatened as much.
Thank you.
Posted By: MAC Re: Will pickups get any cheaper? - 06/05/22
No because IDIOTS keep paying the high prices. If nobody bought them and the dealers got stuck with them then You'd see the prices come down. Anybody that would pay $70K for a pickup is a moron.
With the systematic deliberate destruction of the American middle class, I'd say the sales will shrink considerably from the biggest years volume wise. As sales volume goes down I would guess pricing will go up. Saw a 2016 Dura Max for sale this morning asking 60,000. I shudder to think what it cost new. How ag and construction fare, who knows. All part of the plan...schidtcan a 100 million fossil vehicles, substitute 75 million electrics, for which there is no grid infrastructure to charge them, and never will be. When the govt wants to shut down private citizen mobility because of 'emergency power grid strain' they will. Public mass transit or walk. Wabigoon Bros cattle company will be herding with a dog and a staff until they are forced out of production because of flatulence. Just because you don't believe in conspiracies, doesn't mean they aren't out to put you in the city, in a tiny box eating soylent green.
Originally Posted by MAC
No because IDIOTS keep paying the high prices. If nobody bought them and the dealers got stuck with them then You'd see the prices come down. Anybody that would pay $70K for a pickup is a moron.
Yep
I doubt they will come down in price by any significant amount.
I’m in process of trying to order a new Silverado. They’re expensive and it seems very hard to find.

Yes, Wabi: Ford is going to reintroduce the old Ford F1 for you, $1500 out the door....
laugh
Not unless we hit a recession
Friend just priced a new F-350 4x4 loaded. $108,000 !
!!!!!!OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

That's what 10 or 11 new pickups would cost when I graduated high school. crazy
No. Mandates, taxes, emissions, safyey gadgets, whatever else they can think to add on. Americans like their comfort and will pay for $10,000 tailgates and the latest GPS tracking. Never mind the government nose is stuck up your butt.
Nope, glad I bought one in 18
Originally Posted by rainshot
No. Mandates, taxes, emissions, safyey gadgets, whatever else they can think to add on. Americans like their comfort and will pay for $10,000 tailgates and the latest GPS tracking. Never mind the government nose is stuck up your butt.

I wonder in real terms how much cheaper a pickup would be without all the govt. BS they add?

Pretty sure they would run much better, and get much better mileage too.
My Chebby won't

clean one owner 6.0 gasser crew HD w/137K miles...........2002

Just turned 20 YO
With all the thousands upon thousands of brand new vehicles still sitting in storage for so long now waiting on computer chips before they can be shipped and sold, got to wonder how vehicle manufacturers and dealers plan on marketing so many previous year models along the newest year models when (if?) enough chips ever become available again?
One dealer wanted a $500 charge for cash! crazy
Just looked online. Ram 1500 classic, 2wd $28k. So yeah you can buy a truck affordably but it isn't going to have satellite and power everything and 4wd.
Anytime big industry can find an excuse to raise prices, I think they always will!
Originally Posted by MAC

I used to think the same way but my brother knew he needed a better truck than the 2006 F350 diesel he had bought for deliveries and pickups. He just recently opened a tool and equipment rental business in town and I’m doing most all of the picking up and dropping off of the skid steers, Kubotas, chippers, etc. He has all new top of the line equipment and he’s meticulous about upkeep and maintenance so when he was looking for a newer diesel truck his taste extended to and influenced his desire for the new delivery truck. After driving this 2020(iirc) F450 dually diesel 4x4 Platinum Edition I fell in love. It’s got more options than I’ve ever imagined one could get….heated and air conditioned seats and steering wheel, 110V outlets, cameras and a control center that would make NASA envious and everything else. It hauls as smoothly and quietly as anything I’ve ever ridden in or drove. It’s just a dream to drive and haul. I’m not hauling anything huge, I think the biggest piece right now is only 10 or 12k and even with a 20’ hydraulic lowboy trailer I don’t know that it’s behind me. I’m not getting rid of my Silverado but I could see getting something like that once I get a little older when I can justify that “this’ll be the last truck I ever buy”. I’ve had my Silverado for 20 years so I tend to get my money’s worth out of my vehicles but I’m 51 now and expect to live until 105 years old plus or minus so I’ve got a little time. Actually I’m waiting for the ultimate off-road and city traffic vehicle to become technologically proficient enough to justify….a 2 person (minimum) drone with long range (500+miles) and quick charge ability. I’d pay $70,000 for that.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Just looked online. Ram 1500 classic, 2wd $28k. So yeah you can buy a truck affordably but it isn't going to have satellite and power everything and 4wd.

what is this 2wd you're referring to........?
My poor 1997 F_150 is going to have to soldier on for a while , at 400k miles I need to consider looking for a newer truck , but New truck is out of the Question.. When I worked In a Porsche dealership A New 911turbo(2005) was what a Loaded dually is now, my how times have changed, and not for the better............
Originally Posted by flintlocke
With the systematic deliberate destruction of the American middle class, I'd say the sales will shrink considerably from the biggest years volume wise. As sales volume goes down I would guess pricing will go up. Saw a 2016 Dura Max for sale this morning asking 60,000. I shudder to think what it cost new. How ag and construction fare, who knows. All part of the plan...schidtcan a 100 million fossil vehicles, substitute 75 million electrics, for which there is no grid infrastructure to charge them, and never will be. When the govt wants to shut down private citizen mobility because of 'emergency power grid strain' they will. Public mass transit or walk. Wabigoon Bros cattle company will be herding with a dog and a staff until they are forced out of production because of flatulence. Just because you don't believe in conspiracies, doesn't mean they aren't out to put you in the city, in a tiny box eating soylent green.

I have to think there is a lot of truth here. The EPA just ordered more ethanol be put into gasoline under the pretext of lowering the price because ethanol is cheaper than gasoline. I think most gasoline is 10% ethanol now so what are they going to? Don't engines have to have design modifications to run on E85? Is this an intentional move to destroy older, internal combustion gasoline engines and force people to buy electric vehicles? Just because you don't believe in conspiracies doesn't mean they don't exist! Never under estimate the evilness of people in positions of authority.
*No*
That’s been going on for a long time. Make a lot more off someone making all those interest payments.
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
That’s been going on for a long time. Make a lot more off someone making all those interest payments.
They make money selling the note. The actual note gets bundled and sold again by an investment banker. The actual CDO owners make almost nothing. The entire consumer loan industry is just like the mortgage industry right before the bust in ‘08. This coming recession/depression is going to finish off a bunch of pension funds.
Prices on anything will stay the same or continue their upward spiral as long as people are lined up to pay whatever price.

Bought any primers lately?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Thinking that would be about 30+ new ones all loaded when I graduated from high school.
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Thinking that would be about 30+ new ones all loaded when I graduated from high school.

1985'ish newspaper from New Orleans came to the offshore rig.

Brand new Chevy Silverado, half-ton V-8 A/C/power steering/brakes/windows/door locks, $9,995.oo @ Bohn Bros Chevrolet New Orleans

These same $70K trucks in ten years will have several thousand dollar repair bills,, needs a new cluster and GPS spragg, at the dealership that will be charging $155 hour for labor.

I wouldn't buy one of the gadget laiden trucks if I won the lottery. I've never bought a lottery ticket.
Fancy new pickups are expensive. It is a dealers market right now and they are mostly producing the high end ones. It has driven up the price of late used as well. If you want one they cost. I bought a.new one 3 months ago and the.price of the same exact truck is up 4 to 6K since I bought mine. I don't regret it. They are nice.
Originally Posted by rainshot
It's time to flush the toilet on that [bleep].
The day when people bought trucks with seats that blew hot/cold air up into the taint was the end of pickups.

I had to special order a base model truck with vinyl flooring, a payload and towing package, and manual everything except locks and windows. Everyone asked me “why buy a new truck- why not used?” Well hell, try to find a used pickup without it being a floating couch with twat conditioning?

As far as the market now… yeah, you’re screwed.
New pickups are stupid.

Buy a house instead.
When trillions get shelled out of the economy, the inflation will slow, maybe correct slightly. Have to be patient.
I'm not shoppin' new! Unless, the spread is so close.
I'm not shoppin' new! Unless, the spread is so close.

The spread is unlikely to be less than it is now. Used 4X4 trucks are at an all time high and new trucks won’t get any cheaper.

Yes, the spread will never be less than it is now…
Nothing is going to get cheaper.
I have been waiting for prices so drop for a while now. I may never own a new truck.
Posted By: EdM Re: Will pickups get any cheaper? - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by MAC

So a person worth 10's if not 100's of millions is a moron buying whatever the kcuph he/she wants?
Originally Posted by jnyork
Prices on anything will stay the same or continue their upward spiral as long as people are lined up to pay whatever price.

Yes

$72 a brick
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Maybe, if you can't afford to drive them.

You aren't kidding. If you can even find a new diesel pickup truck on a lot, I can't imagine people are still begging to buy them with diesel hovering around 6 bucks a gallon..
Ford shuts down for two weeks over July fourth, after that, it's 2023 model year, the salesman we spoke with said, mid forty's pricewise.
If they can be produced for less, then yes. If not, then no.
Posted By: Teal Re: Will pickups get any cheaper? - 06/07/22
Economic downturn.

They won't get cheaper but they'll not go up as fast and then hopefully wages and the like rise to where 50k for a truck is about the same % of your income as the 10k truck was back when Wabi was just 60.

As to "idiots buying them keeping prices high" - 70k for a truck that lasts 3x as long as the old 40k trucks? It's a better deal and just because Bob can afford it - doesn't mean Dave should be pissed.
Will pickups get any cheaper?

No.
Yes, as will houses.
I've been thinking that all of those thousands of trucks that are sitting on storage lots waiting for chips are eventually going to be finished , chips are going to be supplied, and they will all hit the market in a tidal wave. They will go relatively cheap just to clear them from inventory and get out from under the storage and interest costs. Once the chip shortage for the new production line trucks and cars ends, production should return to relative normal numbers and create some competition in the market with actual vehicles on dealers' lots for people to shop for. Supply and demand- once the supply picks up, demand falls and prices drop in the face of competition. At least, that is how it is supposed to work. The manufacturers have become drunk with profits the last few years but I think the chip shortage caught them with their pants down and they are still trying to figure out how to recover- and the best way to recover is to make more vehicles and sell them as quickly as possible. If you're in the market and patient, I think prices will drop some very soon, but I've been wrong before- just ask my wife... wink
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

what is this 2wd you're referring to........?
a
I don't have a need for 4wd in the wilds of Southern California but could not find a 2wd to save my life. I don't do much 4 wheeling. I've gotten my old 2wd 2000 F250 into places I probably shouldn't have. If I wanted to do real off roading I'd buy a SxS.
I can tell already that my new truck with 4wd is going to be an awful ride off road.
Originally Posted by jnyork

Can't even find primers.

Read an article online about RVing. People are under the impression that flying to a vacation is more expensive than RVing so more people will continue RV vacations. This will keep gas/fuel demand up so prices will stay up. It will keep RV prices up too and to a certain extent, trucks.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
New pickups are stupid.

Buy a house instead.
I bought my first home in 1994 for $39,990.
When I sold it a couple of years later, I made enough to pay for
the transaction and a nice dinner with my wife and toddler. I was
never late on my mortgage and it looked like new when it sold.
Those days are gone for sure but new vehicles are insane. I think
that dealerships are dying and they know it. That's why prices are
as high as they are. They are squeezing every dime out of every
customer as they can. I'd say there ought to be a law against it but...
There's a sucker born every minute comes to mind somehow...
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've been thinking that all of those thousands of trucks that are sitting on storage lots waiting for chips are eventually going to be finished , chips are going to be supplied, and they will all hit the market in a tidal wave. They will go relatively cheap just to clear them from inventory and get out from under the storage and interest costs. Once the chip shortage for the new production line trucks and cars ends, production should return to relative normal numbers and create some competition in the market with actual vehicles on dealers' lots for people to shop for. Supply and demand- once the supply picks up, demand falls and prices drop in the face of competition. At least, that is how it is supposed to work. The manufacturers have become drunk with profits the last few years but I think the chip shortage caught them with their pants down and they are still trying to figure out how to recover- and the best way to recover is to make more vehicles and sell them as quickly as possible. If you're in the market and patient, I think prices will drop some very soon, but I've been wrong before- just ask my wife... wink

This is exactly my thoughts, hope we are right this time. If not our wives will let us know ...Joe
Originally Posted by Sheister

I don't doubt prices may drop some on vehicles eventually but personally I don't believe they'll drop all that much mainly due to our devalued dollar.
Chevy dealer friend said the new model is produce fewer and sell for more. Expect to order your new vehicle instead picking one out of many at the dealership.

Don't be counting on seeing chips soon... The majority for autos come out of China and Taiwan. And China presently has no interest in getting them here.
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Anytime big industry can find an excuse to raise prices, I think they always will!

This is what a communist think. The real cause is the trillions of deficit spending, ie waste. Blame the progressive fascists ie Brandon el al..
Chips.....

https://www.wxyz.com/homepage-showc...the-plan-the-crisis-in-the-auto-industry
If fuel prices stay this high, yeah. Demand will drop and prices will follow.

All those folks that dropped $20k+, or worse….took out a loan, for clapped out 25-30 year old diesels with 1/4 million miles are getting fugged.

Perhaps you would prefer the government takes over the car manufacturers and sets reasonable pricing? Or at minimum tell them what they can charge?

Big capitalism PO's more than a few here....The government needs step in... laugh
Well, mine's for sale, 2012 F150 Lariat 4WD, White, leather, 5.0
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Will pickups get any cheaper? - 06/07/22
My business demands a heavy duty truck that can tow 25k. I will lose more money with an unreliable worn out truck than I'll lose dropping 80k on a new one.
If I didn't need a 1 ton, I would happily drive a half tom pickup. Guys driving around town in a lifted f350 that will never see anything over 7k towing are idiots.
If they were available, I'd buy 2 brand new f350s with utility beds for my workers. Guess I'm an idiot x3. Used trucks just don't pencil right now. 5 years ago they did.
Originally Posted by battue

Perhaps you would prefer the government takes over the car manufacturers and sets reasonable pricing? Or at minimum tell them what they can charge?

Big capitalism PO's more than a few here....The government needs step in... laugh

Good answer, the last thing we need is the government involved in auto pricing.
When “cash for clunkers” happened, you/we bought a lot of new cars for people. That program was a big scam, as are most government programs.
Originally Posted by LoadClear
The day when people bought trucks with seats that blew hot/cold air up into the taint was the end of pickups.

I had to special order a base model truck with vinyl flooring, a payload and towing package, and manual everything except locks and windows. Everyone asked me “why buy a new truck- why not used?” Well hell, try to find a used pickup without it being a floating couch with twat conditioning?

As far as the market now… yeah, you’re screwed.

That is a big part of the issue. If you take the aforementioned 28K basic Ram truck that is roughly the equivalent of spending about 4k in 1970 which is probably jogging along with the inflation rate. But all trucks were work trucks back then more or less. A new Cadillac/Lincoln probably cost 12k and that is what luxury trucks are the equivalent of now. 12k x 7 is 84k and there you are.

The other thing is that everyone loves trucks now as opposed to 1970 when only people who needed them for work drove them for the most part.
Originally Posted by RUM7
My business demands a heavy duty truck that can tow 25k. I will lose more money with an unreliable worn out truck than I'll lose dropping 80k on a new one.
If I didn't need a 1 ton, I would happily drive a half tom pickup. Guys driving around town in a lifted f350 that will never see anything over 7k towing are idiots.
If they were available, I'd buy 2 brand new f350s with utility beds for my workers. Guess I'm an idiot x3. Used trucks just don't pencil right now. 5 years ago they did.

Makes a pile of sense. I traded my 14 Ram 3500 in 2020 for a 2020 3500 just before stuff went nuts. I have a 26ft GN I use to move my tractor around and misc crap, a 43ft toyhauler and a 20ft enclosed that get pulled with the Ram. If there isn't a trailer hooked to the Ram I barely drive it. I drive the little Colorado with the Duramax daily and love it. Easy on fuel, even with the silly prices and much easier to dart in and around everyday crap.
Got two 1/2 ton 4×4s and a car. All have V8 engines. Wouldn't mind having a Toyota camry just for mpg. Can't really afford insurance on another vehicle
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by battue

Good answer, the last thing we need is the government involved in auto pricing.
When “cash for clunkers” happened, you/we bought a lot of new cars for people. That program was a big scam, as are most government programs.

First thing they could do would be close down the Lordstown, Ohio facility and move it closer to the beltway. Who needs to hire that many people in Ohio?😂
Originally Posted by Teal
Economic downturn.

They won't get cheaper but they'll not go up as fast and then hopefully wages and the like rise to where 50k for a truck is about the same % of your income as the 10k truck was back when Wabi was just 60.

As to "idiots buying them keeping prices high" - 70k for a truck that lasts 3x as long as the old 40k trucks? It's a better deal and just because Bob can afford it - doesn't mean Dave should be pissed.
I agree they won't get cheaper. But thinking they will last, three times longer than older pickups is ludicrous. I would bet, they cost three times more to repair, than older pickups.
The 'sticker' won't drop, just the actual selling price.
Posted By: Teal Re: Will pickups get any cheaper? - 06/07/22
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Teal
Economic downturn.

I agree they won't get cheaper. But thinking they will last, three times longer than older pickups is ludicrous. I would bet, they cost three times more to repair, than older pickups.

I like my odds of a 2020 truck seeing 200k without major issues over a 1990 truck making it to 200k without major issues. In the entire family - Ford, Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler - I can't remember anyone having a repair bill that wasn't tire replacement over 300 dollars since I was 16, almost 30 years ago. Maintenance work - yes. Tie rods/wheel bearings on Chevys etc but not "damn, truck broke down, drag it in on a hook" type of failures.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In your case you actually need and use a new pickup, that makes sense.

But yeah, those buying a new F350 King Ranch to drive around like a glorified car, more money than brains.

I have a cousin that recently pimped out a custom ordered F350, aftermarket wheels, bumper grill guard, etc.

Over $110K so far, that and a custom built 40' snow mobile trailer to haul his custom dual turbo sleds. Fuucker is gonna have $200k into all of it...lol
if they ever catch up on the chips, and get a lot of these trucks on lots for sale, I wonder if that will bring down prices? I saw a pic awhile back of Ford trucks on a plant lot. There had to be at least 400 to 500 sitting there waiting on chips.
What chips, you people still believe that it is actually chips slowing this show down!
The big push for auto makers are ev's now and they use twice as many chips as a gas powered vehicle so don't look for prices to ever return to normal
Fuel prices are biting lots of folks in the AZZ with pickups. Talking the folks that drive them as a daily vehicle and usually haul nothing.
Drive 50 plus miles per day to work and back. Just to show off a nice pickup.

I expect to see more of them for sale as fuel prices keep increasing.

That is.....IF they can find fuel efficient cars for work and back home.
When this happened under Obama I remember a lot of my insurance clients bought small cars or scooters or motorcycles to "save money on gas."

Yeah. Good call. Your truck is still sitting in your drive and you're making a payment. And insurance.

And your new vehicle, tax, title, license, fees, and insurance...is wayyy more than filling you truck with more expensive gas, idiot.

Do people not own calculators?
My brother just bought an F450 gasser 7.3 with an 11’ flatbed for $42K… also ordered an F550 diesel with a flatbed for $54K.

Once you get past the consumer market on the 1 ton trucks, the prices get more bearable.
Originally Posted by MAC
What really left me scratching my head is people bragging about how much above MSRP they paid for a new Pickup Truck. For some screwed up reason bragging rights seem to belong to the moron who paid the most over MSRP!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Picked up a Ford F-250 in November 2021 $42'000 on "A" Plan was offered $50'000 twice by the Dealer to buy back....
With this rate of inflation gas, food, housing, ect there is no way that there will not be a market adjustment, downturn, colapse, crash, ect. which will in effect flood the market with trucks causing the prices to drop even more.
[Linked Image from blogger.googleusercontent.com]

Here is a bargain pickup for you
© 24hourcampfire