Home
Posted By: Mach3 Anyone smell & taste still off? - 06/17/22
After getting the election infection? I have my taste and smell back, but some things still smell way off. Almost all alcohol chemicals have the same type of smell. Coke and most other soda tastes like [bleep]. Lettuce tastes like cologne.

What's everyone else experiencing?
Only lost sense of smell and taste for a couple of days as I was recovering (ie other symptoms had gone) - completely back to normal after 3 days. Everyone is a little bit different.
I had Covid last September and it was pretty rough for me . Still can’t hardly smell anything much and like you , the taste of almost any soft drink is terrible now . Any cola flavor is the worst and Pepsi used to be my favorite. They all have a strong chemical taste to me now .
My taste buds are totally shot. Everything tastes bad.
Most things are Normal although the smell is diminished on most stuff, most of the time I cannot smell offensive smells every once in awhile I get a wiff of schit or BO but that's it.
Yep, had it in December, didn't lose smell & taste until end/afterward (I did get monoclonal antibody treatment). Smell & taste were 100% absent through mid-March. Around Easter, started sensing more things. In May, was getting better but was unable to detect natural gas smell (which help up a home project). Smell & taste were probably 30-40% regained.

It's now June, fully 6 months later, and my smell & taste have continued to improve to ~ 50-60% pre-Covid. I'm sure if I got more rest & sleep my body would continue the regeneration more rapidly. Even then, doubtful I will ever get back to 100%. Thankful for the amount which has returned. Never had any adverse/horrible smells/tastes throughout these 6 months.

YMWV (Your Mileage WILL Vary).
Yep , had it summer of 21 and some things just smell and taste funny.
Had a severe round of it last September. Taste and smell still not right. For instance, I can smell coffee about 90% only taste it about 30%.
Never lost either when I had it. I would not have known I had it except I ran a low grade temp for a day and felt bad for a day. Wife insisted that I get checked and sure nuff I had it.
Had it twice.

First time I never lost taste/smell but was sick for about 6 weeks.

2nd time - taste was shot for 4 weeks. Meat wasn't too bad but chicken - the taste was so bad I almost vomitted. Also textures were really messed up. I'd bite and it would feel like glass shards on my tongue. Really weird deal. It's been about 2 months now since I had the 2nd go - taste/smell back to normal.

Last year my dad had it - took 6 months for taste to come back. I guess it's pretty variable.
Nope! I'm 82 eating couple fig newtons and they taste just as good as they were in1948!!
No doubt the folks that created the bug were trying to tweak it so only Chinese take-out would taste good.

Follow the money…
I was mildly sick overnight and tested positive the next morning. After a couple of days I was pretty much recovered and then I noticed I couldn’t taste or smell. That came back in about a week and I felt fine but 9 days later I still tested positive.
This happens the same time the Impossible burger comes out. Does it taste good now?

Not a coincidence…
I almost died. As my coworker wasn’t so lucky. But I can’t smell my farts.
Six days in ICU- - - - -eight months recovery so far. Taste and smell are about 90% back now, but seasoning the food I cook is an adventure sometimes. I made a 5 gallon batch of chili to can and had to give it away to my son in law who likes things HOT!!!!!! Nobody else could handle it.
Lost taste and smell entirely for about 10 days. Last September. Came back pretty quickly after that, although incrementally - not like a light switch. Everything tastes and smells as it should.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Lost taste and smell entirely for about 10 days. Last September. Came back pretty quickly after that, although incrementally - not like a light switch. Everything tastes and smells as it should.

Yeah - it slowly comes back, not binary in my experience too.
Had it September 2021 and lost taste, tomato products tasted as bleach smells. After a month taste was coming back. In January this year got it again, the recovery was fast but all my taste & smell went out the window. Most foods taste similar and smell similar. They taste of sulfur, the worst part is my dogs chit smells like what I taste and smell. It’s fugged up however steak and asparagus taste and smell right. I do notice that I can taste salt and I tend to over salt, its as though I crave a familiar taste. If its salty for me others really cant eat it.
This thread needs Florida "Man" to set you all straight about how only pussies go into ICU and only the weak have lingering symptoms. /s

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]
I tested positive once but taste and smell was not affected. My nephew caught the.first variant and lost taste and smell for 6 months.
Wife and I both had it for about a week or two in September of 2020. Both lost taste and smell. Mine came back but some things are not as strong or different. Wife still does nor have it back completely.
Been 18 months since my bout. Taste is about 75% and smell is like 50%. What I can smell smells different now too.
I am fully good to go

sniffer and likker wise

My 5 days of covid sniffles made Sav-A-Lot Castsup taste like Mr Clean with Ammonia D. Whatever that is.

That weirdness lasted about 2 weeks.

Anything with vinegar tasted like military grade medic kit ammonia inhalant salts.
First bout: Very late 19 into early 20
Lost all taste/smell for about a month.
After that all back to normal.

Second bout: Early 22
No loss of either
Daughter lost both smell and taste back in November. Smeller is back MAYBE half. Taster about a quarter.
Smell and taste totally fucqued up. Had it in November 21.
Had it in Jan -- taste is mainly back except on fish Any type of fish has what I would discribe as a metalic / tin taste -- used to be very strong and it is weaker now. Had fresh shrimp last night and just a slight metalic taste.
What's crazy is how vid hits everyone different. Different symptoms and severity etc.

You eat bad eggs, get food poisoned or have a cold - we all know what that's going to look like.

5 people can get vid and they all look different. Even those with the same symptom (loss of taste) will have different ways that happens - as listed here. Some people get the metallic taste, others have chicken taste rancid (me) others with no taste etc.
Originally Posted by Tee3
I had Covid last September and it was pretty rough for me . Still can’t hardly smell anything much and like you , the taste of almost any soft drink is terrible now . Any cola flavor is the worst and Pepsi used to be my favorite. They all have a strong chemical taste to me now .

Maybe Covid enhanced your taste buds to the point you can now taste all the chemicals used to make what the FDA calls our food.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫
Anyone with ‘off taste’ tried eating elk, venison, or a free range chicken?

Does food NOT purchased or processed, but garden grown or field game killed taste different?

🦫
Yep since Thanksgiving 2020. Some days are more normal than others, some days are weird.

Usually if I'm around someone that has covid my sense of taste is all f'ed up for a day or two.
Originally Posted by Mach3
After getting the election infection? I have my taste and smell back, but some things still smell way off. Almost all alcohol chemicals have the same type of smell. Coke and most other soda tastes like [bleep]. Lettuce tastes like cologne.

What's everyone else experiencing?

Maybe, maybe not. I only experienced the loss of taste (other than my jokes :)) for a few hours with COVID. 5-1/2 months later everything is 100% back to normal except I can't taste cinnamon. We've tried getting cinnamon from several different stores thinking we just got a chit batch of cinnamon but they're all the now-bland same. frown It could be that all stores are getting it from the same original source and it's all weak, but it seems more likely to be a COVID side effect as more and more time passes.

Tom
Same here. Had it 7 months ago, and my taste is mostly back, but sometimes I just smell weird stuff. I can be sitting in my living room watching TV and feel like im smelling gasoline or smoke, then I think about it, and the smell goes back to somewhat normal. I'll ask my wife and kids and they don't smell anything i'm smelling.. Don't know if it is a mental thing or what. Everything smells different now. My deoderant that I'ved used for years smells different and weaker than before and toothpaste i've used for years smells different and seems to have a weird aftertaste that I never noticed in the past...
While I was sick in December/2020, my sniffer was acting weird - tap water smelled really bad (it's rural well water), my truck cab had an odor, etc. Did not affect food or other drinks.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Anyone with ‘off taste’ tried eating elk, venison, or a free range chicken?

Does food NOT purchased or processed, but garden grown or field game killed taste different?

🦫

Yes - venison only in my house mostly, other than a couple steaks etc.

Tasted really weird.
Dude, you're not far off. Everything that has questionable ingredients and shouldn't be in your body, all tastes the same to me. Terrible like chemicals. I haven't had a soda since November 21 when I had the China virus. I guess diabetes is less likely for me in the future.
Originally Posted by Mach3
Dude, you're not far off. Everything that has questionable ingredients and shouldn't be in your body, all tastes the same to me. Terrible like chemicals. I haven't had a soda since November 21 when I had the China virus. I guess diabetes is less likely for me in the future.

Just seemed a plausible explanation, since 95% of our food that is processed, has something added to it that was man made.

Take it as a good thing and eat healthy stuff.

Now where did my wife put my damn Twinkies.

Lol

🦫
[quote=Beaver10]Anyone with ‘off taste’ tried eating elk, venison, or a free range chicken?

Yes , we practically live on deer meat at my house and it tastes as good as it always did to me . I also had the weird smoke smell that Ramdiesel described but that’s gone now
Tested positive three weeks ago tomorrow. Felt rotten for a few, lost T&S on third day like a light switch went off. I knew at that point I had the China--test confirmed.

Started hitting the horse paste and felt better quickly. Taste and smell varies, about 25% most days.
Honey nut cheerios taste like Chanel #5. smirk
My nephew just got COVID-19 last week. He lost his sense of taste and smell completely. I commented to him that it's a shame he's going to miss Mackinaw Peach season this year.

Props to anyone who gets the reference. My nephew got it.
Got the fauxi flu last oct. Still can't taste or smell.

Good side is I can buy cheaper beer since I can't taste it anyway.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My nephew just got COVID-19 last week. He lost his sense of taste and smell completely. I commented to him that it's a shame he's going to miss Mackinaw Peach season this year.

Props to anyone who gets the reference. My nephew got it.

Mackinaw peaches Jerry! At least he wasn't bug bombed...
I had it about A year and a half ago coffee just don't taste like it used to! Iv tried them all!
Originally Posted by saddlering
I had it about A year and a half ago coffee just don't taste like it used to! Iv tried them all!

Yep coffee tastes awful now to me.... like chemicals..
Anyone with ‘off taste’ tried eating elk, venison, or a free range chicken? Does food NOT purchased or processed, but garden grown or field game killed taste different?
🦫

We have elk, deer, moose and pheasants --- during the loss of taste period all were bland --- just basically chewing cardboard. Now I notice the differences but the weird part is I used to like deer -- now not so much. BBQ season should turn this around.

Someone mentioned coffee being off and I had not thought on that. I stopped going to Tim Horton's for awhile as the taste of their coffee had changed to me.
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Got the fauxi flu last oct. Still can't taste or smell.

Good side is I can buy cheaper beer since I can't taste it anyway.

Now that`s making lemonade out of lemons... Not that you could taste it...
Never took any precautions unless forced to, sat side by side with friends every day, and never caught anything. And I'm an old guy who should be at risk? It's about what will you forfeit.
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Never took any precautions unless forced to, sat side by side with friends every day, and never caught anything. And I'm an old guy who should be at risk? It's about what will you forfeit.

I work from home a lot, and I thought I would never get it either and never took to many precautions other than washing my hands quite a bit more when I was out in public.. But, then my kids went back to school full time and my wife went back to work full time working with the public a lot doing Xrays, and it wasn't long until it spread in our household.
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel

I work from home a lot, and I thought I would never get it either and never took to many precautions other than washing my hands quite a bit more when I was out in public.. But, then my kids went back to school full time and my wife went back to work full time working with the public a lot doing Xrays, and it wasn't long until it spread in our household.
Did you die?
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Yep coffee tastes awful now to me.... like chemicals..
Damn! That sucks.
Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel

Did you die?

HA! Obviously not, but it was pretty touch and go for my mother-in-law when she got it... She looked like death warmed over, didn't think she was going to make it..Her oxygen level dropped down to 70% at one point and she was close to wanting to go to the emergency room and get on a ventilator which is not like her at all.. I think ivermectin and HCQ honestly saved her..I thought a lot of the talk about it being super deadly, and worse than the flu and all that was BS until I saw her go through it..
Originally Posted by Tee3

Maybe Covid enhanced your taste buds to the point you can now taste all the chemicals used to make what the FDA calls our food.

🤷🏽‍♀️🦫
LOL True... I was think'in the same thing... Them gocksuckers have been slowly increasing the chemicals in our food for decades and our taste buds built up a tolerance/immunity to it... maybe covid wiped that out...
I lost my sense of smell and taste for about 2 weeks. I forced it back to work with whisky and vodka. Seems to be ok now.
My sense of humor has suffered tremendously since the election.

My wife’s sense of smell and taste was off for about 10 months. I don’t think I had a big change in taste or smell but my wife did for quite awhile after and even now she says there are a couple things that still don’t smell like they did.

We had it twice that we know of. The first time it was like a lingering cold that took a couple weeks to shake and the second time we probably wouldn’t have known about but one of the kids wasn’t feeling good and got “tested”. I’ve been much sicker in years past with a cold or the flu.

Most coffee smells rotten to me but tastes ok. Red wine smells rotten and tastes rotten also. Some breads and cheeses that once tasted mild taste bad. I used to prefer red wine but not anymore. White wine tastes the same.
So COVID is not the common flu?
I didnt lose smell or taste, but my tinnitus got considerably worse after Covid.
© 24hourcampfire