Home
Posted By: BigDave39355 sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
my sample of 1.

the slidell la location.

they matched academy 20% off rods, reels, combos.

the new dobyns maverick for $80.
Posted By: duck911 Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
The one here in Loveland, CO is a joke, anymore.

Minimal weapon inventory, and even less reloading components. Mostly just over priced Under Armour t-shirts and fly-fishing logo clothes.

Our local company Jax, and the bigger Scheels (and a few other smaller retailers) blow them away.

It is a shame, it used to be a good shop. I bought many, many pounds of powder and many weapons from them before they went to chit.

While ours does price match, they rarely have the item in stock, or, it is a different enough item that they won't match. I used to hit them up weekly, not I may make it there once a quarter.
Posted By: dassa Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
When did sportsmans warehouse start selling weapons?
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Sportsman's warehouse went down the tubes when bASS pro took them over. Cabelas sucks too.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Sportsman's warehouse went down the tubes when bASS pro took them over. Cabelas sucks too.

That deal didn't go through.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/n...se-cancel-785-million-merger/6405548001/
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Our local has always been pretty good, but got noticeably better after the deal got cancelled.

They have plenty of guns for sale, and are even dealing in used ones, which they didn't do before.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
One just opened near me. I got a flyer from them and they were advertising Fausti SXS's. It was buried in a multi-page ad but there it was. I needed to visit the Auto parts store next to it so I thought what the heck I'll go check one out. I never handled a Fausti so I thought I'd go take a look.

I get to the gun counter and all I see is a wall of black and camo plastic. I ask the guy where the SXS's are that were in the advertisement. He tells me "Oh we don't have any of them here, you have to order them and we'll get it about two weeks" He did add that you don't have to buy it if you don't like it.
They just don't stock them.

I just walked away wondering if that was any way to do business.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Not remotely accurate.
Posted By: WAM Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
I have no complaints about SW. I like them way better than Cowbellers and Bass Pro. My wife loves BPS because she always finds clothes and stuff other than hunting and fishing stuff to buy there. That should be telling…
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
I shop for only fishing stuff at SW, but they have the largest selection of any other store within 50 miles of me - including a Cabela's. Prices seem competitive, and supply has been much better than two years ago during the Great Covidiocy and port backups.
Posted By: WhopperStopper Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
We have one within a half hours drive, always worth the trip.

WS
Posted By: Lonny Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
SW is fine and much better than many of the alternatives. Glad to have them in these parts.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Every time I have to travel to Roanoke Virginia I stop in SW.

Every time I travel to Charleston WV I avoid Cabelas and part of my family lives 2 miles away.
Posted By: greydog Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
The big box stores, with the help of the consumer (that would be us), are killing the small sporting goods store as they have eliminated the wholesale level. In the short term, there were pricing advantages but once the need for competition was gone, that ended. Small makers of high quality goods either closed down or moved production to China.
I find it fascinating, at stores like Bass Pro, they make attempts to recreate old time stores; trying to imitate the business models they worked to eliminate. GD
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
That’s where I buy most of my stuff.
Posted By: Puddle Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Our local has always been pretty good, but got noticeably better after the deal got cancelled.

They have plenty of guns for sale, and are even dealing in used ones, which they didn't do before.
ditto, except mine (yes, mine) doesn't deal in used firearms.
In the last month the ammo aisle has loaded up with all the common calibers.

The local Cabelas still has some interesting firearms, but the ammo aisles have become a wasteland.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by Puddle

ditto, except mine (yes, mine) doesn't deal in used firearms.
In the last month the ammo aisle has loaded up with all the common calibers.

The local Cabelas still has some interesting firearms, but the ammo aisles have become a wasteland.

Same here. Since the deal was quashed the inventory has improved quite a bit. Don’t recall seeing any used guns though.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
They are my go-to brick and mortar store for anything firearm or reloading related.

Right now, yeah, inventory is way down but it's down everywhere. In normal times they have decent prices and a great selection, or you can order something with free shipping and in-store pickup.

They also offer a 5% military discount which pretty much covers the sales tax in Idaho. With gunbroker charging sales tax + the high cost of shipping + FFL fee, I can as often as not get a firearm several sawbucks cheaper at SW than off of gunbroker or Guns International even if the base prices there start out cheaper.

Personnel at SW are generally knowledgeable about the products and less inclined to treat me like an idiot. That obviously varies between individuals but the average is way ahead of Cabelas aka Bass Pro.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22

The only thing missing from our Local Sportmans is the reloading supplies just like every one else. My only complaint is on some prices. They think everything AR15 is made of gold and charge accordingly. Some of that stuff is going to be hanging on the shelf long after I'm gone.

kwg
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
The local Sportsman Warehouse in Chattanooga, TN is well stocked and the employees are friendly and knowledgeable.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Puddle (and Mad Mooner),

Having been to other Sportsman's Warehouses in Montana, and even a few in other states, I suspect that part of the "new deal" is individual stores have some leeway in what they can stock and deal in. It would be a smart thing to allow, especially in my part of Montana, where they have to compete with local sporting goods that are also pretty darn good--and deal in used firearms.

I may have to to ask the head of the gun department of the local SW if that's the case. Know him pretty well, as he also used to work at one of the other stores.
Posted By: Springcove Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
The mini Sportsman’s we have sucks but is better than nothing. The full size ones in the valley are usually very good. I still prefer Scheels.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Full size Sportsman here. Nice and always fully stocked. Good ads most weeks. Took 6yrold grandson there last week for first time and it was like wonderland for him.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
...Having been to other Sportsman's Warehouses in Montana, and even a few in other states, I suspect that part of the "new deal" is individual stores have some leeway in what they can stock and deal in. It would be a smart thing to allow, especially in my part of Montana, where they have to compete with local sporting goods that are also pretty darn good--and deal in used firearms.
Back several years ago around the time Sportsman's expanded and then had to severely downsize, I noticed a lot of inventory would go out but not be replaced or they were chronically short of common items. I asked the gun department manager about it and he said that individual store managers used to be able to order and replenish inventory for their individual stores, but that corporate management had taken that discretion away from them and all inventory allocation was determined and distributed via central corporate decisions. The results were obvious, same as any corporation (or government body) that tries to make one size fits all decisions for locally disparate situations.

Maybe they learned from that?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
SW is my favorite locally. Haven’t been in the BP for ages. I still like to stop at Sheels when I’m close to one.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
I like them. They have seen thousands of my dollars.
Posted By: las Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
I was told the same at our local SW- they have no idea what they might get in on a weekly basis, firearms/ammo related- it's all corporate level distribution. We get hosed, pretty much. Shelves and shelves of mostly wierd stuff no one up here uses much, just starting to get some common hunting loads back in, double the price of 2 years ago. Virtually nothing powder related- unless you use BMG, or off-brand? shotgun powders. Those they have.

On a related? note, I like to shop local, especially the non-box stores, if I can, but that has it's limits. I have 3 OMC gas hoses for those outboards, and wanted a spare for the Yamaha, and those hoses are mighty expensive too. So, conversion time for one ... The local boat store, (customer friendly, but backlogged for service up the ring-yang usually) wanted $46 for two Yamaha (OEM) hose ends.

I've two coming from Amazon prime ("free" shipping) for $14 for the pair, and a spare fuel pump for $31 vs $117 OEM. Sure, they are probably Chinee crap, vs Japanese, but all they have to do is get me back to the boat ramp. The on-the-boat parts are OEM, and will remain so.

(There's nothing like traveling 650 miles to go to the remote cabin only to have the fuel pump go out a half mile downstream of the landing - unless it's 50 miles - and something else I don't have along. BTDT smile. Having spare parts along virtually guarantees I'll never need those particulat parts, but something else. Ain't my first rivodeo.. )
Posted By: akpls Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22

Same for the Alaska stores. In fact, the Soldotna store had so much ammo this past Thursday when I was there that they had it sitting in carts and on pallets in the aisles. The shelves were totally full. They are still lacking a lot of components and other stuff though, as las mentioned.
Posted By: las Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
About time- I haven't been in in 3 weeks or so! But is it usable stuff?
Posted By: akpls Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by las
About time- I haven't been in in 3 weeks or so! But is it usable stuff?
I saw much more typical hunting ammo....30-30, 30-06, etc.
Posted By: Puddle Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
Puddle (and Mad Mooner),

Having been to other Sportsman's Warehouses in Montana, and even a few in other states, I suspect that part of the "new deal" is individual stores have some leeway in what they can stock and deal in. It would be a smart thing to allow, especially in my part of Montana, where they have to compete with local sporting goods that are also pretty darn good--and deal in used firearms.

I may have to to ask the head of the gun department of the local SW if that's the case. Know him pretty well, as he also used to work at one of the other stores.

Interesting to know if TTP has changed since the purchase fell through. I'm in there dang near weekly and the good 'ol 7mm Brenneke and 50 BMG ammo is still there from well over a year ago.

Hell, may have been sitting there for 2 years for all I know. They're gonna have to run a duster over them boxes pretty soon...
Posted By: Oakster Re: sportsman warehouse - 06/19/22
I like our sportsmans warehouse. Reloading supplies are next to nonexisting, but that isnt their fault. They held their prices low for a long time and they are still reasonable low. The gun guys are not really knowledgable, and the buying process is brutal, but when they have the reloading supplies and ammo in stock, the prices are pretty good, with frequent sales. I bought 3-5k of each size/style of primer at $23/1000 right before the shortage and they held those low prices well into the shortage.
© 24hourcampfire