Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Puddle (and Mad Mooner),

Having been to other Sportsman's Warehouses in Montana, and even a few in other states, I suspect that part of the "new deal" is individual stores have some leeway in what they can stock and deal in. It would be a smart thing to allow, especially in my part of Montana, where they have to compete with local sporting goods that are also pretty darn good--and deal in used firearms.

I may have to to ask the head of the gun department of the local SW if that's the case. Know him pretty well, as he also used to work at one of the other stores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The mini Sportsman’s we have sucks but is better than nothing. The full size ones in the valley are usually very good. I still prefer Scheels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Full size Sportsman here. Nice and always fully stocked. Good ads most weeks. Took 6yrold grandson there last week for first time and it was like wonderland for him.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...Having been to other Sportsman's Warehouses in Montana, and even a few in other states, I suspect that part of the "new deal" is individual stores have some leeway in what they can stock and deal in. It would be a smart thing to allow, especially in my part of Montana, where they have to compete with local sporting goods that are also pretty darn good--and deal in used firearms.
Back several years ago around the time Sportsman's expanded and then had to severely downsize, I noticed a lot of inventory would go out but not be replaced or they were chronically short of common items. I asked the gun department manager about it and he said that individual store managers used to be able to order and replenish inventory for their individual stores, but that corporate management had taken that discretion away from them and all inventory allocation was determined and distributed via central corporate decisions. The results were obvious, same as any corporation (or government body) that tries to make one size fits all decisions for locally disparate situations.

Maybe they learned from that?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SW is my favorite locally. Haven’t been in the BP for ages. I still like to stop at Sheels when I’m close to one.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like them. They have seen thousands of my dollars.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I was told the same at our local SW- they have no idea what they might get in on a weekly basis, firearms/ammo related- it's all corporate level distribution. We get hosed, pretty much. Shelves and shelves of mostly wierd stuff no one up here uses much, just starting to get some common hunting loads back in, double the price of 2 years ago. Virtually nothing powder related- unless you use BMG, or off-brand? shotgun powders. Those they have.

On a related? note, I like to shop local, especially the non-box stores, if I can, but that has it's limits. I have 3 OMC gas hoses for those outboards, and wanted a spare for the Yamaha, and those hoses are mighty expensive too. So, conversion time for one ... The local boat store, (customer friendly, but backlogged for service up the ring-yang usually) wanted $46 for two Yamaha (OEM) hose ends.

I've two coming from Amazon prime ("free" shipping) for $14 for the pair, and a spare fuel pump for $31 vs $117 OEM. Sure, they are probably Chinee crap, vs Japanese, but all they have to do is get me back to the boat ramp. The on-the-boat parts are OEM, and will remain so.

(There's nothing like traveling 650 miles to go to the remote cabin only to have the fuel pump go out a half mile downstream of the landing - unless it's 50 miles - and something else I don't have along. BTDT smile. Having spare parts along virtually guarantees I'll never need those particulat parts, but something else. Ain't my first rivodeo.. )

Last edited by las; 06/19/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Our local has always been pretty good, but got noticeably better after the deal got cancelled.

They have plenty of guns for sale, and are even dealing in used ones, which they didn't do before.
Same for the Alaska stores. In fact, the Soldotna store had so much ammo this past Thursday when I was there that they had it sitting in carts and on pallets in the aisles. The shelves were totally full. They are still lacking a lot of components and other stuff though, as las mentioned.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
About time- I haven't been in in 3 weeks or so! But is it usable stuff?

Last edited by las; 06/19/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by las
About time- I haven't been in in 3 weeks or so! But is it usable stuff?
I saw much more typical hunting ammo....30-30, 30-06, etc.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Puddle (and Mad Mooner),

Having been to other Sportsman's Warehouses in Montana, and even a few in other states, I suspect that part of the "new deal" is individual stores have some leeway in what they can stock and deal in. It would be a smart thing to allow, especially in my part of Montana, where they have to compete with local sporting goods that are also pretty darn good--and deal in used firearms.

I may have to to ask the head of the gun department of the local SW if that's the case. Know him pretty well, as he also used to work at one of the other stores.

Interesting to know if TTP has changed since the purchase fell through. I'm in there dang near weekly and the good 'ol 7mm Brenneke and 50 BMG ammo is still there from well over a year ago.

Hell, may have been sitting there for 2 years for all I know. They're gonna have to run a duster over them boxes pretty soon...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like our sportsmans warehouse. Reloading supplies are next to nonexisting, but that isnt their fault. They held their prices low for a long time and they are still reasonable low. The gun guys are not really knowledgable, and the buying process is brutal, but when they have the reloading supplies and ammo in stock, the prices are pretty good, with frequent sales. I bought 3-5k of each size/style of primer at $23/1000 right before the shortage and they held those low prices well into the shortage.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 160user, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,392
Posts18,506,873
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.