Home
Posted By: highpockets1 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
What's up with all the ridiculing and making fun of this cartridge and owners. I was considering purchasing one but I would have to keep it a secret so I wouldn't be laughed off the shooting range.
Posted By: wyowinchester Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
Let them laugh. Then prove them wrong. Have the last laugh.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
Go get one! It will make feel better.
Posted By: Teal Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
I would be more embarrassed that I GAS tgat some random on the net cared what I shot.

Can't imagine being so insecure.
Posted By: jimone Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
It is just a 243 ganging up with a 308 trying to be better than a 257.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
It's your basic homophobia at work. 😁
Posted By: highpockets1 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by Teal
I would be more embarrassed that I GAS tgat some random on the net cared what I shot.

Can't imagine being so insecure.
I would be more embarrassed not knowing how to spell.
Btw... I am not insecure at all. Was just wondering what was supposed to be so gay about shooting a 6.5 cm.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
I’ve never seen a cartridge that I disliked. Some are more useful than others but I can’t see hating a cartridge or equating it with masculinity. Then again I’m not a Ford Vs. Chevy fanboy either.

The haters always claim that it’s in response to 6.5 CM fanboys but I never see them. At least not in anywhere near the numbers that I see CM haters. I think a lot of the detractors are emotionally connected to a 6.5 Swede or .308 Win both of which I like but it bothers some that a newer cartridge comes along and has some technical advantages. Probably the same people that dislike 7mm-08 because it’s an easy button to the 7x57mm.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
My G/ma taught me two sayings....

She was born in Lithawania

'Those that laugh last...laugh the hardest'

And.....

The sun shines on every dogs azz some day.....

Hornady & others develop these new whizz bang cartridges

People buy 'em......Hornady makes $$$$$$$

My thoughts.....6.5CM has nothing over the 125 YO 6.5x55

Only a newer case design

I'm a 6.5x55 kinda guy
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
I have two, make just as much fun as everyone else. People gonna find something to make fun of, just happens to be the Creed and 270. Both are superb in my worthless opinion. Took this by Buda Tex

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by hanco
I have two, make just as much fun as everyone else. People gonna find something to make fun of, just happens to be the Creed and 270. Both are superb in my worthless opinion.

I joyfully own both..

Kevlar is on.. smile
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

And.....

Only a newer case design

I'm a 6.5x55 kinda guy
A 6.5CM doesn’t have a thing over a 6.5x55 in a hunting rifle for someone that reloads. As a precision rifle cartridge it definitely has some advantages from a faster factory standard barrel twist to being able to seat long heavy for caliber bullets out in the mag box of a short action rifle if going to a long action than that leaves a lot of other options on the table for chamberings, shoulder angle ect. I like the Swede for a hunting rifle but for someone looking for the easy button and plentiful rifles and factory ammo that isn’t downloaded to old guns a 6.5 CM makes a lot of sense there too.

The 6.5 CM is popular today for the same reasons that the Swede was popular. Plentiful guns and ammo and similar ballistics and heavy for caliber bullets.
I can shoot ducks off the lake with my Creed or 270 either one, drunk, with my eyes closed!!!

Posted By: CopperSolid Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
I have two, make just as much fun as everyone else. People gonna find something to make fun of, just happens to be the Creed and 270. Both are superb in my worthless opinion. Took this by Buda Tex

Funny you enter the Creedmoor Country, and Exit the 223.
Originally Posted by CopperSolid

Funny you enter the Creedmoor Country, and Exit the 223.

I never noticed that😎😎
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
The 6.5 CM is the equivalent of a man bun, sandals, and a European shoulder bag. LOL!

Honestly, if you're that concerned with what people think of the caliber of rifle you shoot, maybe you should grow a man bun, wear sandals and have your wife pick you out a "shoulder bag". 😖

Shoot the damn gun, hit the damn target and slay the damn deer!
The deer doesn't know and doesn't care about bullet diameter nor case capacity!
Heaviest deer I ever killed was with a .22 Hornet!

Put that pill in the right spot and deer will fall over dead, just like you planned.
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by highpockets1
What's up with all the ridiculing and making fun of this cartridge and owners. I was considering purchasing one but I would have to keep it a secret so I wouldn't be laughed off the shooting range.

Some of it is from magnum users and other types of over compensators.

Then there are the various maladies like CBHS, CDS and PCIS.
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
I don't give a [bleep] what anyone thinks about what I shoot or what I shoot at! 6.5CM is much like any other round.
Put it in the right spot and it's deadly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I just don't like that it replaced everything else.
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5 cm - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by jimone
I just don't like that it replaced everything else.

This can advance into CBHS.
It can result in ammo diversity loss, part of the playbook.
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Jeff Bezos never heard of the 6.5 CM, he designs his rockets like a big, giant dhyck!... I mean, a 45-70.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Get a 6.5x55 SE.

Why? This is why:

Posted By: tikkanut Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Get a 6.5x55 SE.

Why? This is why:

U da man.....
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I have quite the collection of 6.5 caliber rifles CM,260, 260AI, 6.5X55, 6.5-06, 6.5WSM, 264WM, 6.5RUM, and the 6.5X55 is the one I would give up last with the RUM a close second.
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Methinks the Swede lovers protest too much. grin
Originally Posted by granitestate1
I have quite the collection of 6.5 caliber rifles CM,260, 260AI, 6.5X55, 6.5-06, 6.5WSM, 264WM, 6.5RUM, and the 6.5X55 is the one I would give up last with the RUM a close second.

I built a Pac-Nor 260 AI in 2006

Had a helluva time sourcing the dies
Originally Posted by mathman
Methinks the Swede lovers protest too much. grin

It's a no brainer

Been around a long time

Ain't going away any time soon

I do have enough hair for a man bun

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html
Posted By: SandBilly Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I like it because you can get Lapua Brass for under a buck a piece, that and 55gr of powder in a short action. I load way over pressure and it never says Boo. my go to load are those Sierra 107s which are light but still have a decent BC with a comppressed load of RL17 which is good 3500FPS.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Well I for one would hesitate to put a rifle shooting 6.5cm diameter projectiles to my shoulder even if I could lift it... (Note: one inch = 2.54 cm).
I am pretty confident that in this conversation CM refers to Creedmoor oppose to Centimeter
Posted By: Rmhiter65 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
What matters is result, couldn't care less.
yes

CM or aka Need More
Lapua brass for either of the two is close....$1.12 a pop
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I have one, have shot it 6 times to site it in.
Posted By: Rogue Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Wife gifted me a Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM when graduating from USASMA. Incredibly consistent and great to hunt with. Definitely a favorite. A gay friend told me years ago that biggest gay hater’s were always wanting to hook up the second they left town. Just to put it out there….
Posted By: mirage243 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by Rogue
Wife gifted me a Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM when graduating from USASMA. Incredibly consistent and great to hunt with. Definitely a favorite. A gay friend told me years ago that biggest gay hater’s were always wanting to hook up the second they left town. Just to put it out there….

Tell more about all your gay friends. 😁
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I think it’s like how High Noon and Sandbilly put it. It’s not the round, nothing wrong at all with it, quite the opposite; it’s The Following.

I won’t get into all that shcitt. Anything can have a stupid as [bleep] fan-base. Guys start getting old, start hating on the new shchitt. Like their old Schitt that worked just as well. I understand. I am
Becoming same, as I age.

But, I won’t buy one. And I don’t care if I’m missing out on something, because as far as I know I am
Not. Other more obscure and even ‘obsolete’
Cartridges Interest me more. And, my rifle/hunting mentor quickly chastised me for even asking him about it and said “we don’t discuss the 6.5 CM, you and I”.

I respect my elders and that was that.

Enjoy yours.

In a circle jerk.

LOL!!!!!
He’s one of my best friends.probably more conservative than 90% here, just likes cock more than pussy.
Want his number?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I was early on the Creedmoor bandwagon and build my first one in about 2008 on a stiller tac 30 AW with a Bartlien 8 twist. I guy at stiller chambered it for me and it still shoots 1/4 moa. Might do better but I tried 2 bullets and 3 charges and that's the only load development it's had. With great accuracy and sub 10fps es I've just stuck with 140 vldh bullets and h4350 at 2820 fps.

I have to laugh at people who feel their 257 roberts or whatever is better. I knew the moment I saw my first Creedmoor reamer print most of my 260s were going down the road and I was a big 260 fan. I started shooting long range in about 1996 with a 260 and always out shot my 308 weilding friends.

Creedmoors shoot well almost always, are efficient, and 6.5 bullets are only bested by 7mms.

It's like a new Honda accord but some people will never admit one could do anything better than their 76 pinto or 257 roberts.

I'm loving my 6mm Creedmoors and 22 Creedmoor too and can't wait to finish an 8 twist 7mm Creedmoor.

The anti Creedmoor guys are the same guys who wouldn't vote for Trump because of their feelings. They just ignore the facts and go pure emotion.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I was early on the Creedmoor bandwagon and build my first one in about 2008 on a stiller tac 30 AW with a Bartlien 8 twist. I guy at stiller chambered it for me and it still shoots 1/4 moa. Might do better but I tried 2 bullets and 3 charges and that's the only load development it's had. With great accuracy and sub 10fps es I've just stuck with 140 vldh bullets and h4350 at 2820 fps.

I have to laugh at people who feel their 257 roberts or whatever is better. I knew the moment I saw my first Creedmoor reamer print most of my 260s were going down the road and I was a big 260 fan. I started shooting long range in about 1996 with a 260 and always out shot my 308 weilding friends.

Creedmoors shoot well almost always, are efficient, and 6.5 bullets are only bested by 7mms.

It's like a new Honda accord but some people will never admit one could do anything better than their 76 pinto or 257 roberts.

I'm loving my 6mm Creedmoors and 22 Creedmoor too and can't wait to finish an 8 twist 7mm Creedmoor.

The anti Creedmoor guys are the same guys who wouldn't vote for Trump because of their feelings. They just ignore the facts and go pure emotion.

Bb

When I bought most of my lapua brass for my 6.5X55 it was $69.99 per 100 and free shipping, and that was not that long ago maybe 5 years plus. I also have some pretty neat wildcats based on that case IE: 6X55 and also a 22X55 which are stellar. Just an FYI the 6.5 Creedmoor is based of of the Thompson Centre 30 cal called the 30 TC. It looks identical to a 308 that is why it never took off just like the 6.5 CM looks just like a 260 Remington only the Creedmoor had a catchy name and better marketing.
I also have begun to theorize, that the better a given hunter becomes, at HUNTING and SHOOTING, the more intrinsically they become interested in ‘specialized’ cartridges that don’t appeal so much to the entry-level shooter. Or, cartridges that AREN’T so generically ‘easy’ and universally ‘successful’ to work with. Because, in a word -

SKILL

And, art.

And, endeavor.

And, the path less taken = challenge.

At least that’s my take.
Hanco, what’s a Texan’s take on the 6.5 CM against a 25/06? I know you own and have shot plenty of Schitt with both.
Posted By: Cross Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Listen to the Long Range pursuits podcast Esp:103. 6.5"s have been banned from a bunch of big bull elk outfitters. Nothing wrong with a 6.5 Creedmoor. In fact, there's a lot right with the cartridge, but its been sold as a long range Bazooka to a lot of people who couldn't hit the ground with their hat. Great deer, antelope, and small pig cartridge, but only a minimal elk cartridge. If your wife or kid can only handle a 6.5 Creedmoor, train them up and hope for the best. Its very doable.

However, its minimal. It's only what works when everything is right. Not running shots, not big solid shoulder shots, not running away shots and DEFINITELY not 500-600 yard shots. I don't care what others have done with the cartridge, or whats on video, I'm talking about when things don't go right.

I hunt elk with a 7RM and consider it to be no bigger than what elk hunting requires.

In summary, the 6.5 Creedmoor is great for deer and antelope but its been way oversold and real rifle guys are sick of the hype.. if you show up in my elk camp with one and aren't a little kid, a woman, or disabled, you can pack your igrorant ass back to town with your wee rifle and maybe make a few stock trades, call the signifant other and discuss the chances of Gavin in 2024.

Cross
How do the terminal ballistics change for women hunters?
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Hanco, what’s a Texan’s take on the 6.5 CM against a 25/06? I know you own and have shot plenty of Schitt with both.

My hunting is 250 yards or less. Either work just fine for me
Kids and women can shoot it but men can’t. Too funny!
Posted By: ldholton Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
It ain't the cartridge is awesome it's the cult falling with the ignorance that think there's nothing else close...
My beef is with irrational thinking on both sides of the question.
It accurate in factory rifles. Not over complicated.
Posted By: Craigster Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
How do the terminal ballistics change for women hunters?

Was wondering the same thing.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
When I bought most of my lapua brass for my 6.5X55 it was $69.99 per 100 and free shipping, and that was not that long ago maybe 5 years plus. I also have some pretty neat wildcats based on that case IE: 6X55 and also a 22X55 which are stellar. Just an FYI the 6.5 Creedmoor is based of of the Thompson Centre 30 cal called the 30 TC. It looks identical to a 308 that is why it never took off just like the 6.5 CM looks just like a 260 Remington only the Creedmoor had a catchy name and better marketing.
The 260 Remington is a great cartridge especially for hunting. It had nothing to do with a name or marketing. Remington shot themselves in the foot with slow twist barrels that couldn’t take advantage of the long heavy for caliber bullets. That and being a longer case with more body taper longer bullets didn’t fit mag boxes with those longer bullets without seating it further into the case and limiting powder capacity. The 260 Remington also has a shorter neck that doesn’t play as well seating long bullets. Remington is solely to blame for the 260 Remington not taking off.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by Cross
Listen to the Long Range pursuits podcast Esp:103. 6.5"s have been banned from a bunch of big bull elk outfitters. Nothing wrong with a 6.5 Creedmoor. In fact, there's a lot right with the cartridge, but its been sold as a long range Bazooka to a lot of people who couldn't hit the ground with their hat. Great deer, antelope, and small pig cartridge, but only a minimal elk cartridge. If your wife or kid can only handle a 6.5 Creedmoor, train them up and hope for the best. Its very doable.

However, its minimal. It's only what works when everything is right. Not running shots, not big solid shoulder shots, not running away shots and DEFINITELY not 500-600 yard shots. I don't care what others have done with the cartridge, or whats on video, I'm talking about when things don't go right.

I hunt elk with a 7RM and consider it to be no bigger than what elk hunting requires.

In summary, the 6.5 Creedmoor is great for deer and antelope but its been way oversold and real rifle guys are sick of the hype.. if you show up in my elk camp with one and aren't a little kid, a woman, or disabled, you can pack your igrorant ass back to town with your wee rifle and maybe make a few stock trades, call the signifant other and discuss the chances of Gavin in 2024.

Cross

OK Boomer
Posted By: MattMan Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22

Cross

How many elk have you seen killed in person? Asking for a friend.

In the 90s I shot a 300 Win Mag for Coues.
Posted By: Hastings Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I had one for a while. It was a Savage 16 Stainless Weather Warrior. Plenty accurate. Never shot a deer with it but did shoot some varmints and pigs. It wasn't a bit better than my daughter's .243W or .270W for my purposes. I sold it to a girl that I go to church with for exactly what it cost me and she did kill a few deer with it before it burned up in a house fire. If I buy another 6.5 it will be a Grendel for my grand daughter if I can find one in synthetic and stainless left handed. It is low recoil and has about the same trajectory with a 120 grain as a .308W using 150 grain. I figure the .260 Remington is about as good as the CM or Swede but I've never shot a Swede.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
The Sammi spec Creedmoors got tge throat and neck spacing right and the lead angle. Many older cartridges are spec'd for more clearance, round nose bullets, slop at the shoulder neck junction etc. Plus the the Creedmoor was spec'd with a longish throat and was a bit shorter case than the say 260 and was also twisted right from the factory. I had done enough customs and compared enough Sammi reamers to match ones to know that the Creedmoor had a lot done right from the start. I also like 30 degree shoulders.

I grew up with a 6mm rem and used one for years and have some sentimentality there but it is really obvious to me now that the Creedmoors are superior designed cartridges especially within your average short action. Doesn't mean a 6mm rem still won't work for an average guy on an average deer hunt but once you start pursuing next level accuracy and consistency and long range the advantages are obvious. There's a reason a lot of match guys aren't running 257 roberts and 6mm rems but your average 1 box a year deer hunter doesn't get it.

Bb
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
My stepson killed his first deer with a CZ chambered in 6.5 Grendel and 120 grain SST. At moderate ranges I don’t see it giving up anything to a 6.5CM, 6.5 Swede ect. With the 24” barrel on the CZ it’s easy on the ears and obviously very little recoil.

For most of the well inside of 100 yards hunting that we do up here around cedar swamps it works about as well as anything. Great little dear cartridge IMO.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
6.5 Creedmoor, 270 Winchester, New Wave, wine coolers, whatever...
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
My stepson killed his first deer with a CZ chambered in 6.5 Grendel and 120 grain SST. At moderate ranges I don’t see it giving up anything to a 6.5CM, 6.5 Swede ect. With the 24” barrel on the CZ it’s easy on the ears and obviously very little recoil.

For most of the well inside of 100 yards hunting that we do up here around cedar swamps it works about as well as anything.

I’ve seen a cow elk dropped in it’s tracks on public land at 250ish with a Howa Grendel, 123 SST. SHE didn’t shoot it running, up the poop hole, or in the shoulder socket though.

Wanted a recovered bullet, but alas, the elk couldn’t catch it.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor while wearing shorts and crocs.

Suck it.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
My beef is with irrational thinking on both sides of the question.
What's weird are the guys that think folks like it because of "hype", or think that folks that like it must be ignorant of other substitute rounds, or think folks that like it think it's a better cartridge than everything for everything, or think folks that like it think it's a long range super magnum hammer bazooka.... All in their heads. Weird. I like it and couldn't give a fuuck less what someone else chooses to like, at least not enough to rant about it.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor while wearing shorts and crocs.

Suck it.

That’s how I kill turkeys with a bow.
Posted By: DBT Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Forget about it, 7-08 AI will do the trick, and more....;)
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22

Interesting.........I bet that 30TC is hard to find.....hornady is the only factory source I believe.....

Correct me if I'm wrong

The TC Icon and the hornady 30 TC were a thing back about 20 yrs. Did any other rifle manufacturer dabble in the 30TC?
Creedmoor guys

Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Screw that! Go buy one and enjoy it. I wanted one and I bought one. You can never own too many rifles. I personally don’t give 2 schitzz what people think about what guns I own.
P. S. Most guys are just making fun for a laugh

Ron
Posted By: steve4102 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
6.5x55 AI
Posted By: Raeford Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Shoot what ya like.

I find myself grabbing the .243W, .223 and .22mag more and more these days.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Why is it the 6.5CM as opposed to 6.5C since Creedmoor is one word?
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Well, what is the difference in the 6.5 Creedmore and the 260 Remington? Both can be short action guns. Both are basically the same diameter. Why make the 6.5 when we already had the 260 Remington and the 6.5 Swede?

https://www.chuckhawks.com/case_capacity_matters.html#:~:text=Therefore%2C%20it%20should%20be%20no%20surprise%20that%20the,Sako%2C%20etc.%29%20and%20loaded%20to%20the%20same%20MAP.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
The 260 Remington is a great cartridge especially for hunting. It had nothing to do with a name or marketing. Remington shot themselves in the foot with slow twist barrels that couldn’t take advantage of the long heavy for caliber bullets. That and being a longer case with more body taper longer bullets didn’t fit mag boxes with those longer bullets without seating it further into the case and limiting powder capacity. The 260 Remington also has a shorter neck that doesn’t play as well seating long bullets. Remington is solely to blame for the 260 Remington not taking off.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Remington adopted a light recoiling round that propelled a decently
aerodynamic (by traditional hunting standards) bullet.
It was fast enough, it was heavy enough (the high BC bullets now aren't much heavier)

And gun writers immediately attacked it.
"Not twisted for long bullets, 140s are where its at, cant fit long bullets.....
Meanwhile, the 243......

Then everyone became a sniper.

The CM came along, touted as a long range round.
Designed to be accurate and propel high BC bullets.

Trend + product + marketing= success.

The majority of the users hunting with it would do just as well with a 260,
7-08, several 25s, or 308 if they didnt mind a bit more recoil.

Hell, a bunch wouldn't notice if the bullets were swapped for round noses.
They might talk across a beer can about how great it is at long range,
But they aren't putting bullets on game at over 150 yards.

Sure, some are. They could do it with a dozen other rounds too.

Don't have one, don't want one.

Have a Swede, like it.
If I get a chance like I did on the Swede, (rifle, dies, brass for what was a good price on the gun) I'd buy a Creed. And use it. As a hunter, it would
likely do what most others do.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Haters gonna hate....6.5 Creedmoor ALL DAY LONG!!!!
Posted By: rainshot Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Not exactly. The creedmoor and .260 are ballistic equals. The Creedmoor is a little shorter and will allow longer bullets seated closer to the lands without invading the powder column. Both can be used effectively in a short action. The Creedmoor has a little advantage in being able to get accurate factory ammo.
As always it’s up to the individual to choose what he wants.
Cheers.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Oh man. Someone took the old Swede meme that has been around for years and changed it by adding CM to it.
Originally Posted by rainshot
Not exactly. The creedmoor and .260 are ballistic equals. The Creedmoor is a little shorter and will allow longer bullets seated closer to the lands without invading the powder column. Both can be used effectively in a short action. The Creedmoor has a little advantage in being able to get accurate factory ammo.
Cheers.

That's not the reason for the shorter Creedmoor case. It is shorter so the ogives of long nosed vld type bullets stay forward of the case mouth when the overall length of the cartridge fits a 2.8" short action magazine.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22

First things first. Who gives a ffuck what others think ?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Like a moth to a flame, these 6.5CM threads never fail to attract idiots. You deniers do need some new arguments and pics.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Trend + product + marketing= success.
Don't have one, don't want one.
Have a Swede, like it.

No bias here........ha!

Marketing my azz..... Heres the real scoop vvvv. Choose to believe it, or continue on your merry, ignorant way....

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by ERK
If Remington had done the advertising push on the 260 that others did on the Creedmoor you would never have seen a Creedmoor. Edk

Yep. The Creed benefitted from advertising .

You're yet another example of the typical 6.5 Creedmoor hater who's never fired one--and has no clue about why it succeeded so well. It was NOT about velocity, which is purely a matter of powder room, but accuracy, especially with factory ammo. I would be willing to bet you've never fired a 6.5 Creedmoor...

And no, the Creedmoor did NOT succeed due to "advertising." Have pointed this out many times before, but will again: The cartridge came out in 2007, with almost no advertising or other publicity. But within a few years some hunters started trying it, and discovered even factory ammo was very accurate, often more so than their best handloads in the .260 and 6.5x55. Only after that did the "publicity" start--which was fueled by results, not advertising.
Originally Posted by Rogue
He’s one of my best friends.probably more conservative than 90% here, just likes cock more than pussy.

I had a guy on my crew that asked a gay guy what cock tasted like. His answer was like pussy on a stick. He didn't ask any more questions.
Why is it Creed fans are so sensitive? Must be something to it. 😆
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

And.....

Only a newer case design

I'm a 6.5x55 kinda guy
A 6.5CM doesn’t have a thing over a 6.5x55 in a hunting rifle for someone that reloads. As a precision rifle cartridge it definitely has some advantages from a faster factory standard barrel twist to being able to seat long heavy for caliber bullets out in the mag box of a short action rifle if going to a long action than that leaves a lot of other options on the table for chamberings, shoulder angle ect. I like the Swede for a hunting rifle but for someone looking for the easy button and plentiful rifles and factory ammo that isn’t downloaded to old guns a 6.5 CM makes a lot of sense there too.

The 6.5 CM is popular today for the same reasons that the Swede was popular. Plentiful guns and ammo and similar ballistics and heavy for caliber bullets.

Building a rifle and handloading for it. The Creed cannot do a thing my Krieger barreled Ruger or Rem 5R, each in 260 will not do.

For those unwilling to handload, and locked into a factory rifle, the Creed checks a few boxes.

The same can be said for 6mm Creed vs 243.
Posted By: grouseman Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
6.5 centimeter?! Good Lord! What are you, artillery?
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Well, what is the difference in the 6.5 Creedmore and the 260 Remington? Both can be short action guns. Both are basically the same diameter. Why make the 6.5 when we already had the 260 Remington and the 6.5 Swede?

https://www.chuckhawks.com/case_capacity_matters.html#:~:text=Therefore%2C%20it%20should%20be%20no%20surprise%20that%20the,Sako%2C%20etc.%29%20and%20loaded%20to%20the%20same%20MAP.

Maybe the same reason someone made a 308, 300 H&H mag 300 Win, 300 Norma ,308 Norma mag ,30-30 win when the 06 does it all.
You going to lengthen the magazine in that 5R?
Cheers.
I wish someone could explain why it is bad for a "bullet to invade the powder column"?
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Opt for a Bergara! Well built and double-dog accurate without spending $4000.00! Had several on my range and with good handloads in 6.5 shoot well to 1000 yards!
You going to lengthen the magazine in that 5R?
It has an AICS box on it.
What length does that allow? I have a 308 that could use some room.
Posted By: gunzo Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
I have a steel AICS type mag made by Accurate that might allow 2.9" Magpul AICS top out at 2.88".
Creedmoor kinda guy!

I will have to check when I get home from work. I shopped specifically for the longest allowable COAL, when I bought the bottom metal and box a couple years ago.

I wil get back in about six hours.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
^^^lol
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Creedmoor kinda guy!

I didn’t know Flave liked the Seattle Mariners.

Lol

🦫
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
A couple of us high power shooters were using 6.5-08 (.260R) and thought just shorting the case would work better with 142 Sierra's for 300yd where we had to use the magazine. So next barrel we held the reamer back .08 and shortened some dies. The case capacity is almost exactly what Dennis Demille and Hornady came up with in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Its funny, he was shooting a match at Camp Butner at the same time we were just starting to use our 6.5-08 short.

We had piles of .308 brass to play with so why not use it. Made a bunch of brass with a dillon power trimmer.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
You have no idea how much I appreciate the questions you ask!

POC
Posted By: rainshot Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Did you blow the case out removing some taper and give it a 30 degree shoulder?
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Never understood the obsession some people have about what other people shoot. It's actually kind of bizarre. I don't have one but I've shot one with good results. Wouldn't say it's any better or worse than other medium caliber guns I've tried. Just buy and shoot whatever you want and don't give a crap about the nosey nannies. To me, with the current market out there, I would be more concerned about premium ammo availability and price than anything else. Some of the "popular" picks either have nothing available or it's like 2 bucks a round.
Posted By: highpockets1 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by sidepass

First things first. Who gives a ffuck what others think ?
Speaking of first things, the first sentence in my thread was a serious question. The second sentence was an attempt at humor.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/22/22
Did you blow the case out removing some taper and give it a 30 degree shoulder?

If this is for me, no, we were all about easy and not spending so much money. Just shorten up size dies.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22

Where is the boomer meme about them crying about the creedmoor? Or waxing poetically about the 1911, 45acp, 30-06...etc...?

I shoot a 6.5 and 6 creed just to piss off old, fat, couch riding boomers

Oh and because its twisted correctly, has the desired dimensions to shoot heavy for caliber bullets, and there is great factory ammunition available. 243 and 260 done properly...
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Never understood the obsession some people have about what other people shoot. It's actually kind of bizarre. I don't have one but I've shot one with good results. Wouldn't say it's any better or worse than other medium caliber guns I've tried. Just buy and shoot whatever you want and don't give a crap about the nosey nannies. To me, with the current market out there, I would be more concerned about premium ammo availability and price than anything else. Some of the "popular" picks either have nothing available or it's like 2 bucks a round.

Or how close they identify with an item and become self invested.

Like a chainsaw thread.
"Gotta buy the color I have. Or its junk"

Meanwhile, there are at least 3 manufacturers of top quality saws.
Sold under even more names.

With several other brands providing good service to less demanding users.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
"Well, what is the difference in the 6.5 Creedmore and the 260 Remington? Both can be short action guns. Both are basically the same diameter. Why make the 6.5 when we already had the 260 Remington and the 6.5 Swede?"

One of the most interesting things about 6.5 Creedmoor critics (other than most never having fired one) is the apparent inability to spell Creedmoor correctly.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22

Cross

Well thought out post.

Only women and kids can shoot well enough to smash bulls at 550yds with a 6.5CM.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
As Eileen once commented to a well-known gun writer for a major magazine, "Why do men need larger cartridges than women use to kill big game?"

He didn't answer, even though he obviously thought about it.....
As Eileen once commented to a well-known gun writer for a major magazine, "Why do men need larger cartridges than women use to kill big game?"

Inferiority complex?

"Gotta have a 300 ultra mag to make for my poor fundamentals of marksmanship"
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by blindshooter
A couple of us high power shooters were using 6.5-08 (.260R) and thought just shorting the case would work better with 142 Sierra's for 300yd where we had to use the magazine. So next barrel we held the reamer back .08 and shortened some dies. The case capacity is almost exactly what Dennis Demille and Hornady came up with in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Its funny, he was shooting a match at Camp Butner at the same time we were just starting to use our 6.5-08 short.

We had piles of .308 brass to play with so why not use it. Made a bunch of brass with a dillon power trimmer.

I’m sorry, can you repeat -
Camp BUTTner?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
"Well, what is the difference in the 6.5 Creedmore and the 260 Remington? Both can be short action guns. Both are basically the same diameter. Why make the 6.5 when we already had the 260 Remington and the 6.5 Swede?"

One of the most interesting things about 6.5 Creedmoor critics (other than most never having fired one) is the apparent inability to spell Creedmoor correctly.
***ZING***
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
[quote=Mule Deer]Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

***ZING***[/quote

Whuuwhaat?

That, right there, might be the gayest thing I’ve ever read. Ever.

Passive aggressive spelling bee challenges.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Inferiority complex?

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, two 6.5 PRC’s, and a 6.5 x 47 Lap.

I also have a 300 Rum.

How’s my marksmanship?

Lol

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Inferiority complex?

I also have a 300 Rum.

How’s my marksmanship?

Lol

🦫

Do you have an Inferiority complex?

(You might be cardboard poor or a cheapazz) how shot to schiet does a target need to be...?
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22

I just put the calipers on it. 2.995" inside the box. Branded Accurate Mag.

Inferiority complex?

I also have a 300 Rum.

How’s my marksmanship?

Lol

🦫

Do you have an Inferiority complex?

(You might be cardboard poor or a cheapazz) how shot to schiet does a target need to be...?

Inferiority complex, nah...I just laugh when a pussy like you complains about a cartridge that makes you flinch, so you assume it must scare others.

Keep going, Rook. You’re killing it.

Lol

🦫
Well if you don't have an Inferiority complex, my post wasn't addressing you.

However your defensiveness is telling.....................

P.s. if you need cardboard I could send you some...I appreciate your cherry picked "groups" too lol.

P.s. if you need cardboard I could send you some...I appreciate your cherry picked "groups" too lol.

Handy, I have some shĂŽt groups too. From a new rifle that sucked, and was sent tripping down the road immediately.

If a rifle won’t produce consistent 1 MOA all day, everyday. It’s either gone, or gets gun plumbed until it’s corrected.

Back to shooting a 300 RUM. You afraid you’ll get bit by one? If you know how to properly shoot a rifle, you don’t worry about such things.

Lol

🦫

Handy, I have some shĂŽt groups too. From a new rifle that sucked, and was sent tripping down the road immediately.

If a rifle won’t produce consistent 1 MOA all day, everyday. It’s either gone, or gets gun plumbed until it’s corrected.

Back to shooting a 300 RUM. You afraid you’ll get bit by one? If you know how to properly shoot a rifle, you don’t worry about such things.

Lol

🦫

I have no need for one. Blue whales and mastodon aren't on my to kill list.

I'm a strange guy. I just pick the tool for the job...and I also don't have an Inferiority complex.

Lol

🦫

I'm a strange guy. I just pick the tool for the job...and I also don't have an Inferiority complex.

You are definitely a strange guy...Maybe stop acting like a woman all the time, and you’ll pull out of that Vaginitis funk you’re always suffering from.

🦫

Lol

🦫

You are definitely a strange guy...Maybe stop acting like a woman all the time, and you’ll pull out of that Vaginitis funk you’re always suffering from.

🦫

Rich......says BEAVER lol.

Again with Inferiority complex....let's be honest here, you're just a dumbphucck.
Posted By: JPro Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Many of us spend a good bit of time shooting stuff under 400lbs and also appreciate the 6.5’s ballistic efficiency, factory acceptance, ammo/component availability, and moderate recoil, as those factors equate to more shooting time in more scenarios, which is a good thing. Some hate that it’s popular, some hate that it’s not a big magnum, some hate that it’s Version 3.0 of their beloved 6.5 concept, and some just see it for what it is and use the damned thing. I held off on accepting the 9mm Luger for years, for many of the same reasons the Creedmoor haters hate that round, but I came around because it makes the most sense in many instances.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
There's nothing wrong with the Creed. If I had an empty safe and were shopping for my first ground squrrel to deer rifle, the Creed would be an acceptable choice.

But since the safe already contains rifles in 243, 6mm-284, 25-06, 7mm-08, 264 Win mag, and three chambered in 260 Rem. And all the associated reloading equipment and brass is already on the bench. There is no justification for a Creed at my house.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
There's nothing wrong with the Creed. If I had an empty safe and were shopping for my first ground squrrel to deer rifle, the Creed would be an acceptable choice.

But since the safe already contains rifles in 243, 6mm-284, 25-06, 7mm-08, 264 Win mag, and three chambered in 260 Rem. And all the associated reloading equipment and brass is already on the bench. There is no justification for a Creed at my house.

This is the best observation of the lack of need for the Creedmoor landslide. The Creedmoor was developed for a very specific shooting discipline, which it does cover, but the following and endorsements of it are way beyond what it deserves for a hunting cartridge…
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
The Creed is fun to shoot, best thing about it!!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
The Creed is fun to shoot, best thing about it!!

Maybe you should try a 17 Hornet. It and a bunch of other varmint cartridges are fun to shoot hundreds of rounds, all day long…
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by JPro
Many of us spend a good bit of time shooting stuff under 400lbs and also appreciate the 6.5’s ballistic efficiency, factory acceptance, ammo/component availability, and moderate recoil, as those factors equate to more shooting time in more scenarios, which is a good thing. Some hate that it’s popular, some hate that it’s not a big magnum, some hate that it’s Version 3.0 of their beloved 6.5 concept, and some just see it for what it is and use the damned thing. I held off on accepting the 9mm Luger for years, for many of the same reasons the Creedmoor haters hate that round, but I came around because it makes the most sense in many instances.
Up Ho God forbid someone to comment with common sense.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I’m sorry, can you repeat -
Camp BUTTner?

Sure, look here. One of the best places to compete in high power rifle matches on the east coast.
Camp Butner NC
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is the best observation of the lack of need for the Creedmoor landslide. The Creedmoor was developed for a very specific shooting discipline, which it does cover, but the following and endorsements of it are way beyond what it deserves for a hunting cartridge…

Yes Sir, most folks don't know how it came about. Designed for a shooting game, not so much live game.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22

Cross

The comedic ignorance in this forum gets better and better with each passing day.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22

Tell that to ScenarShooter.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
I have killed and seen some good sized critters killed, with the 6.5 Creed, including the fabled Rocky Mountain Elk, that everyone knows are bullet proof, don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Rio7
Posted By: JPro Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22

Can't really argue with that logic, as many existing shooters/hunters already had their bases covered when the Creedmoor came on the scene. Notwithstanding the esoteric matters like reamer prints, throating geometry, brass quality, and the like, some just don't want to participate in the current "Me Too" movement of the shooting/outdoor crowd that is made up of Vortex, Creedmoor, Glock, and Yeti. wink
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
IT Rarely comes out of the safe anymore, so I had to do something and that was to turn it into a varmint rifle. So now I shoot 85gr Sierra HPs and 95 gr Vmax's at 3500-3600 fps and it has found it's purpose in life.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Posted By: JLimbo Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I don't give a [bleep] what anyone thinks about what I shoot or what I shoot at! 6.5CM is much like any other round.

Yup. The 6.5CM works just fine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/23/22
It must feel mighty powerful to go through life thinking that you know what others are thinking!
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Tell that to ScenarShooter.

LOL.

Pat a fine fellow but lots of game fell to the 6.5 CM while he was still a .308 Win/155 Scenar guy.

Here is the very first elk and coyote taken with the 6.5mm CM so now you can brag you have seen it. But we all know you have watched it many times.

Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

Yup. The 6.5CM works just fine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Sure does......

Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
6.5 Creedmoor enthusiasts

It's not that your post are not funny but you do seem to have lots of homoerotic pictures on hand.

Not Judgin' but just Sayin'. laugh
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
hanco likes ballistic tips!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Interesting little round, that's liable to stick around awhile. To many rifles sold during the craze for it to go away. Great marketing, reminiscent of the .270 win and 7mm Rem Mag.
Originally Posted by SKane
hanco likes ballistic tips!

That explains his taste in pictures. laugh
Posted By: ldholton Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

Greybull stock holders convention??
When you go near hunting with a Creedmoor

Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Just another thread for morons to gleefully identify themselves.

The Creedmoor wins matches and slaughters game.

Fucgging hilarious!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by ldholton

Greybull stock holders convention??

Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Fucgging hilarious!
Also exposes people with really thin skin....
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Camugl kghunt is a Uktard. Probably boosted at least twice
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Interesting little round, that's liable to stick around awhile. To many rifles sold during the craze for it to go away. Great marketing, reminiscent of the .270 win and 7mm Rem Mag.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about, on a couple of points.

First, the .270 Winchester did NOT take off when introduced in 1925. It survived, but did not become popular until years later, partly due to the introduction of the Model 70 Winchester in 1937, and partly due to Townsend Whelen, who liked it. Jack O'Connor's regard for the cartridge didn't make much difference until around WWII, when he became a monthly columnist for OUTDOOR LIFE, which was the thin-paper "outdoor" magazine sent to U.S. troops. That was a LONG time after 1925....

The 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced as a target round in 2007, and did OK. But it was only promoted as a target round for several years, which is why it remained relatively obscure. It started becoming popular among hunters after around 2010--when word-of-mouth got around that both factory rifles and ammo were very accurate, and affordable. I know this partly due to being a hunting-gun writer--who NEVER got any press releases about the 6.5 Creedmoor that weren't about target shooting.

Which is why I ignored the round until hunters started noticing it, and hunting rifles started appearing. Only then did the "publicity" start, and it was NOT from Hornady but hunting magazines which had to start publishing articles on the cartridge because readers wanted info. In fact, when I published my first article on the 6.5 Creedmoor in 2010, brass and ammo was still in somewhat short supply--and the long-term existence of the round was still somewhat doubtful. Which is why I worked out a method of fire-forming brass from .22-250 cases, and published it in that first article. (This turned out to be a waste of time, because within a couple of years 6.5 Creedmoor brass was everywhere.)

In fact, one of my magazine editors eventually grew weary of the 6.5 Creedmoor, and refused to run any more articles about it. This was around 2015--but he changed his mind a year or so later because readers were DEMANDING more info on the round.

About that time one of my South African buddies, a PH who also owned a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, told me that 80% of the new rifles he was selling were 6.5 Creedmoors. Why? Because even in RSA, local hunters had found out how well it worked, especially for "culling," killing game for the market-place. They could buy a rifle AND factory ammo that worked as well or better than anything else they'd been using, for less than most other rifles/ammo. And there are very few hunting/shooting magazines over there. Instead, as in the USA, the word got around due to hunters.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

I can't remember ever having to justify buying something that I wanted, even if it was redundant to multiple things that I already had.

I like rifles and I like cartridges, so a new rifle or new cartridge is just an itch that needs to be scratched.
Posted By: devnull Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Looking for some Lapua 6.5 Creed LRP brass. Anyone have a lead?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Camugl kghunt is a Uktard. Probably boosted at least twice

Hush up kiddo. The men folk are talking rifles.

Originally Posted by ltppowell

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about, on a couple of points.

First, the .270 Winchester did NOT take off when introduced in 1925. It survived, but did not become popular until years later, partly due to the introduction of the Model 70 Winchester in 1937, and partly due to Townsend Whelen, who liked it. Jack O'Connor's regard for the cartridge didn't make much difference until around WWII, when he became a monthly columnist for OUTDOOR LIFE, which was the thin-paper "outdoor" magazine sent to U.S. troops. That was a LONG time after 1925....

The 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced as a target round in 2007, and did OK. But it was only promoted as a target round for several years, which is why it remained relatively obscure. It started becoming popular among hunters after around 2010--when word-of-mouth got around that both factory rifles and ammo were very accurate, and affordable. I know this partly due to being a hunting-gun writer--who NEVER got any press releases about the 6.5 Creedmoor that weren't about target shooting.

Which is why I ignored the round until hunters started noticing it, and hunting rifles started appearing. Only then did the "publicity" start, and it was NOT from Hornady but hunting magazines which had to start publishing articles on the cartridge because readers wanted info. In fact, when I published my first article on the 6.5 Creedmoor in 2010, brass and ammo was still in somewhat short supply--and the long-term existence of the round was still somewhat doubtful. Which is why I worked out a method of fire-forming brass from .22-250 cases, and published it in that first article. (This turned out to be a waste of time, because within a couple of years 6.5 Creedmoor brass was everywhere.)

In fact, one of my magazine editors eventually grew weary of the 6.5 Creedmoor, and refused to run any more articles about it. This was around 2015--but he changed his mind a year or so later because readers were DEMANDING more info on the round.

About that time one of my South African buddies, a PH who also owned a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, told me that 80% of the new rifles he was selling were 6.5 Creedmoors. Why? Because even in RSA, local hunters had found out how well it worked, especially for "culling," killing game for the market-place. They could buy a rifle AND factory ammo that worked as well or better than anything else they'd been using, for less than most other rifles/ammo. And there are very few hunting/shooting magazines over there. Instead, as in the USA, the word got around due to hunters.

JB,

In a way the 6.5MM CM suceeded in spite of the early advertising.

I think it could be said it was the first round where SAAMI specs had chambers, throats, freebore, and ammo that delivered safety and very accurate rifles combined with twist rates that handled long bullets with decent to better than decent BCs.

There has never been a round so well designed that made it through SAAMI.

Add in low recoil and enough killing power.

Velocities fast enough to deliver decent trajectories but also good termial results from cup and core bullets.

The best Goldilocks round so far.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

Fucgging hilarious!

These post certainly shine a bright light on the Creedjesus worshipers whose feelings are easily hurt.
Originally Posted by devnull

I'll keep an eye out for you.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by devnull

I'll keep an eye out for you.
That's what the chick in the whore house with a glass eye said.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
I'm a .308 guy when it comes to hunting short actions.

That said, I just bought a CTR in 6.5 CM. Night coyote zapping with 95 gr. Amax and whatever else up to cow elk inside 400 yards with 140 gr. Norma SP. Maybe a good homestead overwatch rifle too, if it ever comes to that.

Interesting, multi-duty cartridge. How can a rifle loony not like it? Having said that, I don't believe that it's any kind of long-range elk medicine. Cartridges aside, not many shooters are long-range elk medicine, including me.

Guess I'd better start growing out my hair for that manbun. I ain't wearing no tie-dye though. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
I’ve taken a good amount of critters with my 260 which is just a tad hotter than the 6.5 Creed….

Both are a lot like the 7-08, but with slightly better ballistics and the right shoulder & neck length to let you squeeze long pills into your magazine without seating them so deep you worry about it.

I will probably put a 6.5 barrel on my AR10 build because I don’t want 2 uppers… and 7-08/260/6.5 Creed chambering are just flexible for yotes, and deer.. hogs, … even PRS.. a 308 would be my choice if I spent more time deer hunting, and less time shooting at competitions.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
.[/quote] JB,

I think it could be said it was the first round where SAAMI specs had chambers, throats, freebore, and ammo that delivered safety and very accurate rifles combined with twist rates that handled long bullets with decent to better than decent BCs.

Velocities fast enough to deliver decent trajectories but also good termial results from cup and core bullets.

The best Goldilocks round so far.[/quote]

All excellent points--and exactly what I found after actually using the round more than a little bit for the last dozen years!

In fact, as I've mentioned before, have continued to buy factory 6.5 Creedmoor rifles to see how well they shoot, especially with factory ammo. So far there's only been one disappointment, but suspect it was due to the the rifle's stock, as I just bought another of the same brand but with a much improved stock, and it shoots very well.

John
I'm a 256 Newton fan. Heck of a cartridege, but the timing of its introduction was all wrong, the start of WW1, so the rifles that Charles Newton had contracted to be built by Mauser in Germany were no longer available and setting up a manufacturing operation to build rifles on an action of your own design proved to be easier said than done.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Where is it written that we all have be just alike?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
[video:youtube]Garden Party by Ricky Nelson 1972 Official | Stone Canyon Band | Original Lyrics in Description[/video]
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I can't remember ever having to justify buying something that I wanted, even if it was redundant to multiple things that I already had.

I like rifles and I like cartridges, so a new rifle or new cartridge is just an itch that needs to be scratched.
I suspect that I am like the vast majority of the shooting public in that I have a limited budget, a portion of which may be spent on a shooting/reloading hobby.

So yes, some justification must occur, and some choices preclude other choices.

I have found it unwise to attempt to spend the same dollar more than once.
JB,

All excellent points--and exactly what I found after actually using the round more than a little bit for the last dozen years!

In fact, as I've mentioned before, have continued to buy factory 6.5 Creedmoor rifles to see how well they shoot, especially with factory ammo. So far there's only been one disappointment, but suspect it was due to the the rifle's stock, as I just bought another of the same brand but with a much improved stock, and it shoots very well.

John[/quote]

John, those are exactly the sentiments I expressed when buying the 260 soon after its factory introduction. It was designed to do perfectly that which I wanted done.

Later I decided to delve into longer bullets, faster twist barrels, and longer magazines.

Had the Creedmoor been introduced first, I would have been as happy working with it.

Today, there is nothing I could do with a Creedmoor that I can not do with one of my 260s. But yes, my rifles have been modified to do it.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Small add to the comments -

Accuracy wise - it’s the Brass spec to Chamber spec’s that make it accurate - meaning it’s NOT JUST the chamber spec.

Some of the best gunsmiths have known this for years and buy custom chamber reamers to keep these types of tolerances between the brass and the chamber.. couple it with precision chambering and you get a tack driver as long as the barrel is good..

Cartridge design wise - it’s making the brass optimal for shooting longer pills for longer distance accuracy (barrel makers jumped up twists as well) that are seated more optimally and still fit in the magazine..

But for accuracy the chamber to brass spec if most likely the biggest factor..

‘

JB,

John[/quote]
Posted By: Puddle Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

I suspect that I am like the vast majority of the shooting public in that I have a limited budget, a portion of which may be spent on a shooting/reloading hobby.

Yup.

Last season my buddy and I were glassing a cow elk out past 450 yards. Given a choice, that's just a tad further than I wanted to use the CM on.

So, we swapped rifles - my CM for his PRC - using the same bullet, and got the job done with that little extra MV insurance.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna buy a PRC. Nice cartridge, nice rifle, but the CM will do nicely.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
6.5 Creedmoor hate/disdain/dislike seems to usually be based on what it is not rather than on what it is. Although, that seems to be "most" people's positions with respect to most cartridge and caliber debates.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
6.5 Creedmoor hate/disdain/dislike seems to usually be based on what it is not rather than on what it is. Although, that seems to be "most" people's positions with respect to most cartridge and caliber debates.

I certainly don't hate it. Were it not for the 6.5 Creedchrist we might not have a truly good chambering like the 6.5 PRC.
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Small add to the comments -

Accuracy wise - it’s the Brass spec to Chamber spec’s that make it accurate - meaning it’s NOT JUST the chamber spec.

Some of the best gunsmiths have known this for years and buy custom chamber reamers to keep these types of tolerances between the brass and the chamber.. couple it with precision chambering and you get a tack driver as long as the barrel is good..

AND it's the throat diameter spec to bullet diameter relationship.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Folks are mostly laughing at the hype and some of the overly excited tool bags doing the hyping.

The Creed bro is what it is. Virtually a replica of several other 6.5’s that have been around for about ever. Just in a modern package.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Folks are mostly laughing at the hype and some of the overly excited tool bags doing the hyping.

The Creed bro is what it is. Virtually a replica of several other 6.5’s that have been around for about ever. Just in a modern package.

The modern package is the point, and not just from a marketing perspective in case you've neglected to read what JB posted above.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Just in a modern package.
Hence not a replica.... Sigh.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

Fucgging hilarious!
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Creed threads are never not entertaining.
'Bout like pick up or saw threads.

Generally, "you gotta have what I got, 'cause that confirms me".

vs

"If it's different than what I got..."

Said it before, it does nothing I need,
I got a Swede! (And load for it)
Also standard and Magnums all around it.

Friend has a Christenson something in a Creed he won.
Let him offer to sell it too cheap, I'd jump.
Dad needs something lighter than the old Vanguard 7mag anchor
he totes. Bet he would kill deer with a 120BT.

And yet, this, like the last post, will trigger someone into thinking
it's a post against the round.
Hell, it's support.
Just because there is nothing saying it's better, doesn't mean it's bad.

If shooting steel plates at some distance was my game, it's probably
the round I'd choose. It's so suited to it, it's almost like it was built for it!

No disrespect intended. You got that right, it is never a good idea to spend money that isn't discretionary on hobbies or spending the same dollar twice.

Through my church, I coached people who have gotten themselves into a financial hole through credit card debt, helping them learn to set a budget and stick to it until they'd gotten themselves out of that hole. Sadly, there seems to be about a 50% recidivism rate for those who sought help from this mentoring program getting back into debt that they couldn't pay off within a month or two.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Just in a modern package.
Hence not a replica.... Sigh.

I was talking strictly from a point off case capacity and bullet size/weight. 140’s at 2700ish fps has been done for decades.

The faster twist and case slightly shorter doesn’t make it a giant killer. It makes it a common sense package that handles high BC bullets.

Folks make fun of the crazy gun counter claims is the point.
What will a Creed do that a 6.5-06 won’t do better? Asking for a friend.

Fit in a short action.

Duh!

Ask your wise "friend" the last time he/she/they saw 6.5-06 ammo on the shelf. whistle
Posted By: SandBilly Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

Not over-penetrate? 😊

Fit in a short action.

Duh!

True!

Ask your wise "friend" the last time he/she/they saw 6.5-06 ammo on the shelf. whistle

He makes his own, has several hundred 6.5-06 cases, Quality makes them I think. He likes the hell out of this rifle, Doumolin Mauser action, hell on piggies!

Originally Posted by SandBilly

Not over-penetrate? 😊

I'll bet you don't have that problem.

Not over-penetrate? 😊

That’s funny

He makes his own, has several hundred 6.5-06 cases, Quality makes them I think.

Posted By: SandBilly Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

Not over-penetrate? 😊

It’s enough to bruise up your tonsils, but you knew that already. 😆
Posted By: mirage243 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22

Not over-penetrate? 😊

🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: rainshot Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Nothing wrong with the 6.5-06, 6.5 Sweed, .260 Rem. or any other of many cartridges. The Creedmoor legitimized the 6.5 in this country. The Sweed is difficult to get brass for and is a handloading proposition. The 6.5-06 is a handloading proposition. The .260 is like so many other Remington adventures it was a stepchild. It is also largely a handloading proposition. The Creedmoor is supported by good factory ammo from the start. It was originally offered in a fast twist to stabilize heavier bullets.
Perhaps it's greatest contribution to the shooting public is a splendid topic of largely useless debate on the merits of just about every other cartridge ever conceived.

Not over-penetrate? 😊

Well played. That made me laugh.

To whom would that.be a consideration?

Have they even made factory ammo, the last thirty years? Not for me. Snicker and grin.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/24/22
Best thing about the 6.5 Creedmoor? It paved the way for the 6.5 PRC!!!!

To whom would that.be a consideration?

Have they even made factory ammo, the last thirty years? Not for me. Snicker and grin.

Oh, I'm with ya there.

But folks pi$$ing on the 6.5 Creedmoor really have a tough time grasping why it's so popular when in fact, it's pretty crystal clear.
But beotches be beotches. laugh
I have a new one: EBRD
Not over-penetrate? 😊

Did it hurt when you laughed?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/25/22
Fit a short action and be gtg off the shelf.

Thanks.
Mr Redundant.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 6.5 cm - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Not over-penetrate? 😊

Did it hurt when you laughed?

Yes, and how many times to I have to tell you not to bite when I laugh. Next time I'll tell you with a closed hand.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: 6.5 cm - 06/25/22
Nothing wrong with the 6.5-06, 6.5 Sweed, .260 Rem. or any other of many cartridges. The Creedmoor legitimized the 6.5 in this country. The Sweed is difficult to get brass for and is a handloading proposition. The 6.5-06 is a handloading proposition. The .260 is like so many other Remington adventures it was a stepchild. It is also largely a handloading proposition. The Creedmoor is supported by good factory ammo from the start. It was originally offered in a fast twist to stabilize heavier bullets.
Perhaps it's greatest contribution to the shooting public is a splendid topic of largely useless debate on the merits of just about every other cartridge ever conceived.

This is the best answer I have seen. Good marketing, and good factory ammo for those who don't reload. However, I will stick with my 308 which has killed every deer I have shot since 1992 with one shot kills. If I wanted to shoot long range, I would probably use a 300 WM which also has good factory ammo availability in most places or a 7mm Rem mag.

Availability of factory ammo is a must now-a-days with short ammo supply. When the supply was really bad about 6 months ago, the first things that came back in stock were 223/5.56, 308, and 9mm. This is what most people use today for all their hunting and self defense needs. I couldn't find any shotgun shells other than 28 gauge for a while.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: 6.5 cm - 06/25/22
I know 2 guys that hunt with a 6.5 cm. They make a nice couple
Posted By: SandBilly Re: 6.5 cm - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by gunchamp
I know 2 guys that hunt with a 6.5 cm. They make a nice couple

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 cm - 06/25/22

As mentioned earlier, I have owned rifles for several 6.5 rounds, including the 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 6.4x54mm Mauser (a real obscure one), 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5x55, .264 Winchester Magnum, 26 Nosler, 6.5-.300 Weatherby Magnum and--yes!--the 6.5-06.

My 6.5-06 was a medium heavy-barreled E.R. Shaw, and VERY accurate, regularly putting three 140-grain Berger Hunting VLDs in three inches at 600 yards. I hunted with it some, for everything from varmints to deer-sized game, and it killed them fine. But I had to handload for it.

Have also owned more than one factory 6.5 Creedmoor that was just as accurate, and not only with handloads but factory ammo. Have killed deer-sized game with them just as far as I ever did with the 6.5-06--both with factory ammo and handloads. The Creedmoors kicked less, though the 6.5-06 was by no means a hard kicker. But if you want to practice a lot at longer ranges, lighter recoil does help, and so does longer barrel life, another advantage of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 6.5-06.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 6.5 cm - 06/26/22
JB,

John

Many get confused and think that just because 6.5mm CM does not offer more energy than other similar rounds it's not different.

It's very different for for the vast majority of hunters and shooters that don't reload, want easy reloading, or want platforms such as the AR.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: 6.5 cm - 06/26/22
JB,

John

Many get confused and think that just because 6.5mm CM does not offer more energy than other similar rounds it's not different.

It's very different for for the vast majority of hunters and shooters that don't reload, want easy reloading, or want platforms such as the AR.
Exactly.

And no matter how many times that is stated some refuse to see past “but my Swede runs 100 fps faster handloaded in my favorite long action deer rifle.” No shade on the Swede but it’s apples to oranges.
© 24hourcampfire