Posted By: tikkanut Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/03/22
If not

these things are amazing !

Just a quick dinner......breaded chicken breast filets...potatoe salad side

15 minutes at 360* and you're ready......flip once

July 4th ?

Baby back pork ribs........93 YO MIL here for dinner

She luvs these ribs
Apparently we ain’t doing something right .
So far I have yet to eat anything that impressed me .
But a lot of people think they’re the bomb .
Different strokes and all that I guess
Kenneth
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/03/22
I use ours to do french fires and tater tots, and to reheat fried food. That's it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/03/22
Got one for my wife after hearing her niece talk hers up.

Wife uses it quite often. I've liked the chicken of various styles she's made in it, sweet tater fries, and as the tikkanut says, quick dinners make her really happy and don't heat up the house either.

Kenneth, hopefully it's not a brand thing.

Ours has a baking feature, wife has tried a couple of things so she didn't have to use the oven. didn't like the results, might not try it much anymore.

She likes almonds for a mid-morning snack. Buys the plain one and roasts them herself in the air fryer. Loves them, doesn't have to deal with the roasted almond saltiness and no oven heating up the house.

It's one appliance I got her that she likes much much better than the vacuum cleaner. whistle
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I use ours to do french fires and tater tots, and to reheat fried food. That's it.

That and wings. Worth it for wings alone.
We have a toaster/oven/air fry thing. Works great for various applications. Essentially, an air fryer is just a convection oven, but smaller. I like em.
Posted By: mathman Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/03/22
I make do without since I rarely fry air.
People we know that have them like them but also said don't expect food to be the same as frying in hot oil.

I can see it being handy for not smelling up the house as well.

Cousins wife gave us one a year ago, haven't tried it yet.
Posted By: viking Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Pork chops, chicken thighs, it does a wonderful job. It also is great for vegetables.
Takes a bit of futzing around to figure out the best way to do different stuff. The China Doll is the Air Fryer Queen now. Wings, bacon, shrimp, scallops, spring rolls, fish; she’s got all that down to a “T”. No more hideously greasy stovetop.

Some foods do best if you spray them a bit with oil. If what you’re cooking doesn’t seem “fried”, try that.
French Fries...........

secret..........

Russet taters......Long russets........

Cut in 1/4" slices length wise.........

Place in bowl & rinse.......actually 2-3 times...removes starch

IMPORTANT >>>>>>>pat dry.....before cooking..Garlic powder & Papricka are UR friends

Sprinkle above on after dry......spray with olive oil spray lightly

set air fryer (mine is default @ 360*) for 15 minutes

Shake 1-2 inside the 15 minutes

The 'pat dry in towell is important' NO soggy fries !

Best damm fries you'll ever eat

Iffin your're in Utah...I'm sure you'll be using fry sauce

Ketchup & Mayo.......not me...just ketchup !
French fries and tater tots NEED to be fried in oil to be called French fries…or tater tots. I’ve had them done in our air fryer but then I usually end up throwing them in hot grease anyway. 😁

The air fryer, like the microwave, is a great tool with a very narrow margin of specialty. I’m kind of particular about good cooking. I’m not picky at all and eat most everything except organs but I like good quality food prepared properly. I will admit that the air fryer probably has potential if one put some time and experimentation into trying different stuff but it fills a need that I don’t have so I rarely use it. We bought it for the kids several years ago when we were giving them an introduction to cooking for themselves. Since they were on a tater tot kick at the time and they really liked the Costco chicken tenders the air fryer made sense. We didn’t want them using hot oil on the stove and it wasn’t worth the propane for heating the oven for such a small amount the air fryer was perfect. I’m sure that it paid for itself in saved propane within a couple months and the kids thought it was one of the coolest presents that year considering it was something that they’d never even heard of. 👍
I'll stick to the Weber.......
Originally Posted by 12344mag

For deep frying?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Got one for my wife after hearing her niece talk hers up.

Wife uses it quite often. I've liked the chicken of various styles she's made in it, sweet tater fries, and as the tikkanut says, quick dinners make her really happy and don't heat up the house either.

Kenneth, hopefully it's not a brand thing.

Ours has a baking feature, wife has tried a couple of things so she didn't have to use the oven. didn't like the results, might not try it much anymore.

She likes almonds for a mid-morning snack. Buys the plain one and roasts them herself in the air fryer. Loves them, doesn't have to deal with the roasted almond saltiness and no oven heating up the house.

It's one appliance I got her that she likes much much better than the vacuum cleaner. whistle

Funny how they are about vac cleaners and such .
Guess I got lucky , mine couldn’t be any happier with her zero turn .
My step daughter drops by time to time and whips her up something in it and thinks it’s great .
I think the easy is what she likes , you know , mind over matter 😀
Stove top has me by the short and curly’s .
But then again it took me a long time to warm up to a pistol over a revolver for carry .
Still hunt with the revolver .
Kenneth
I'm considering one for myself when I sometimes make my own meals. One of my sisters has one and she loves it even though she admits they aren't for everything. My wife won't have anything to do with anything new fangled, (to her). In fact, she's still afraid of microwave ovens which is why we don't have one.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
I was looking at microwave ovens a few days ago and saw a microwave/air fryer combo for $200
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I'm considering one for myself when I sometimes make my own meals. One of my sisters has one and she loves it even though she admits they aren't for everything. My wife won't have anything to do with anything new fangled, (to her). In fact, she's still afraid of microwave ovens which is why we don't have one.

$60-70 bucks.......Bezos has 'em at his store

Simple to use....spray olive oil works great

Just had breaded chicken filets.....

Baby back ribs reheated are almost better than the day of

Easy clean up too !
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was looking at microwave ovens a few days ago and saw a microwave/air fryer combo for $200

L I K E
I bought my wife a pair of Dyson vacuums for Christmas several years ago, one for downstairs and one for upstairs so she didn’t have to cart it up and down, she still talks about it being one of her favorite gifts. She just laughs at the comments and raised eyebrows when telling others that story. 😂
Got the ninja foodie. It’s ok. Not particularly fond of the air frying but the pressure cook feature is the bomb. If you want a crock pot type meal now it only takes an hour instead of all day. And it makes soup in half an hour. Gotta be careful though. It’ll turn the veggies to baby food in five minutes.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by 12344mag

For deep frying?

Well you could if you wanted to, I just prefer grilled food to anything else.
Originally Posted by Jericho

Yep, I shoulda got one of those when we replaced our appliances.
Yep!

Well, actually I don't. But my wife is a professional game-cookbook writer, and bought one a couple years ago, and uses it at least a couple times a week, and it didn't take long to convert a number of previous recipes to the air-fryer, with excellent results.

As somebody already stated, they're compact convection ovens, which have been around a long time. They use accelerated movement of very hot air to do some of the same jobs that take far longer with deep-frying--with far easier clean-up.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep!

Well, actually I don't. But my wife is a professional game-cookbook writer, and bought one a couple years ago, and uses it at least a couple times a week, and it didn't take long to convert a number of previous recipes to the air-fryer, with excellent results.

As somebody already stated, they're compact convection ovens, which have been around a long time. They use accelerated movement of very hot air to do some of the same jobs that take far longer with deep-frying--with far easier clean-up.

Try frozen/cooked shrimp......Costco are great

Thaw about 2/3rd way....

10 minutes or so on 300*.......

Garlic powder & papricka again lightly.....

Horse radish & ketchup stirred together (1/4 horse to 3/4 ketchup)

Oh man........
Posted By: TXRam Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Salmon filet pieces turn out great when my wife does ‘em in our Ninja Air Fryer (she bought it for me for Christmas cause I like to cook and wanted one! Haha).
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Yep!

Thaw about 2/3rd way....

Oh man........
Breaded I assume?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Yep!

Thaw about 2/3rd way....

Oh man........
Breaded I assume?

actually not......

but ya could easily.....same time

the garlic powder & dash of paprika make 'em rock
So just the peeled deveined models?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by JamesJr

That and wings. Worth it for wings alone.

This! I do wings in mine all if the time.
tikkabut,

Sounds good! Will forward to Eileen.

She's used it on a bunch of stuff so far, including veggies, game and "tame" meat, and after a little adjusting the recipes it's worked great.

But as noted, that's what she does for a living, so isn't hesitant to try things several times to get them right....
Yep, use it all the time. Here and at camp.
So just the peeled deveined models?

Wifey uses the ez-peel raw ones. I’d be afraid pre-cooked ones would be over-cooked. Scallops get just cooked enough to be hot inside. I think the last shrimp were 21-25 count.
I’ve got a go-wise, the American test kitchen runs tests on them…. the Instapot is the latest winner for bigger servings…

I’ve been using one for a couple years now.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Yep!

Thaw about 2/3rd way....

Oh man........
Breaded I assume?

actually not......

but ya could easily.....same time

the garlic powder & dash of paprika make 'em rock

We do the same, but stir up a dressing of melted butter, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper, and drizzle on the shrimp prior to air frying. Delicious.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
The wife got one a couple of months ago. Makes great chicken wings.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
We really like ours. Don't remember the brand but it wasn't expensive. Haven't tried chicken wings yet because they cost a fortune.... way more that skinless boneless chicken... kind of a bummer they got so popular...

Try reheating pizza in one. Maybe 2 minutes and still crispy.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Ninja Foodi, 12 in1.
Posted By: EdM Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
No.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Originally Posted by EdM
No.
That was short and sweet.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Twice so far (in 8 months) and I'm totally underwhelmed...
Fantastic little machines. French fries, those little hashbrown patties, shake & bake chicken or pork chops, anything you'd do in the oven, olive-dredged and flavoured potato wedges, reheated pizza, salmon, tater tots, samosas, reheating anything originally deep-fried, wings, and oven-ready appetizers of course. List goes on. We use ours almost daily. Reheating pizza in the microwave is gross - pop it in the air fryer for 3 minutes and it's perfect.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Heard so many singing their praises so when I caught a small (2qt) on sale I bought one mainly just to see what they were about. I've not been all that impressed with the one I bought so far. It's okay for pre-packaged frozen french fries, onion rings, etc. Really not much quicker or cooked better than baking in range oven per package instructions.

Mine is round and like I said just 2 qt model so if I ever decide to buy another one I believe a square or rectangle one where food can be laid out flat and big enough to spread food out would be a better way to go. Our range oven has the convection cooking feature but never have tried it yet.
I use it for chicken and to reheat things I want to be crispy again. To me it isnt frying but a small convection oven. So I am happy using it for that. I did cook some pretty good hot dogs in it
Posted By: hanco Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Wifey has one, uses it quite a bit
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Hotdogs

dave
Posted By: JGray Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Wife loves hers and uses it almost daily. Has a rotisserie attachment we've used for whole chickens and roasts. Use it for about anything we use the oven for when making smaller portions. Tried it with bacon recently and turned out great. Prefer it to the microwave for reheating leftovers.
Dino nuggets and fries too
I actually saw one once!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
The frozen breaded fish fillets = easy fish sandwich just add Cole slaw and tarter Sause. Ready in about 13 minutes.
We were given one , we used it twice and tossed in a dumpster.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
Air fryers are really pretty simple -- basically just a electric heating element, a temperature control and a fan...
For all the nay sayers

Posted By: Oakster Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/04/22
We like ours. We dont use it every day, but its quick, handy and easy. Makes things crispy that should be crispy, without frying in oil.
Or........

these with your morning coffee

We were gifted a Ninja one. Neighbors were moving and didn’t have room for it at their new place apparently. As Tikka mentioned, they kick ass for fries and tots. BTW - proper fry sauce has a bit of horseradish and Seasoning salt it it. Woot!
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
We were gifted a Ninja one. Neighbors were moving and didn’t have room for it at their new place apparently. As Tikka mentioned, they kick ass for fries and tots. BTW - proper fry sauce has a bit of horseradish and Seasoning salt it it. Woot!

I've go some 'Beaver' horse radish........

hawt damm......only takes a dab !
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Do use use an air fryer ?? - 07/05/22
It's just a glorified convection oven. Most of them are too small to be useful.
Turns out great pizza, wings, steakfingers, potatoes, among others.
© 24hourcampfire