Home
Posted By: dale06 Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I’ve driven chev silverados many years. Long story, but tried to order a 2023, cant get the color I want, the motor I want or the wheels I want.
So I reverted to a 2022, but the situation is pretty much the same, can’t get what I want.
If I’m paying $60 grand plus for a truck, it’ll be what I want.
So am thinking of trying a Tundra, hopefully they’ll make what I want.
Those that have had silverados and Tundras, and recommendations, or comments.
Thanks
Posted By: viking Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Are you concerned about gas mileage? If not, Tundra all day.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Viking, I’m reading that the newer 3022 are much better on gas. The previous were terrible. Am I mis reading?
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Owned both. A 2013 5.7 Tundra and now a 2021 GMC Denali with the 6.2 and 10 speed. No question about it the GMC is better in all areas. It has more power, gets much better mpg, rides smoother, handles weight in the bed better and tows better. Put 500 pounds in the Tundra bed and it would squat bad. Same weight in the GMC and you don’t even notice it. Tundra is more like a car than a truck.
Neither truck ever needed any warranty work. Owned the Tundra for 4 years/40k and GMC is 15 months old and 8k miles. Granted, the GMC is a more advanced truck so you would expect some of those improvements. Both are 4x4.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
You're probably still not going to get what you want.
Posted By: viking Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I have a 14, sucks for mileage.

I’ve no idea what their V6 gets, it can’t be any worse.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve driven chev silverados many years. Long story, but tried to order a 2023, cant get the color I want, the motor I want or the wheels I want.
So I reverted to a 2022, but the situation is pretty much the same, can’t get what I want.
Thanks

Some people consider a Tundra a truck, I don’t. Certainly they are capable of some truck like activities, but if you really want a truck to use for more than going hunting and fishing, you can’t beat a Silverado 3500 with a Duramax and an Allison transmission…
Posted By: KFWA Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Has Toyota started putting turbo's in their Tundras?

Caught a few youtube videos where people are dogging the new Tundras
Posted By: Full3r Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Toyota does build to suit so to say. I just picked up a 22 Tacoma for a hunting truck. I was able to find one that was allocated with the options I wanted but not the exact color. If you are dead set on color look for that first and then see if you can modify the dealer allocation to fit your needs.

Keep in mind I waited 7 months to find an allocation that was the pkg I wanted then another 3 months for fit to be built and delivered.

Toyotas are not really cutting edge but they are reliable. This is our 4th new Toyota and short of needing a diesel in the future I won’t buy anything else.
Posted By: deflave Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Thanks

You mentioned color and rims and nothing about what the vehicle will be used for.

LOL

Good luck on Toyota providing your optimal specs in a timely manner.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Aftermarket wheel options are limitless.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
If you want baboon ass ugly, Tundra is your Huckleberry.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Not sure I'd want to be in the beta test group for the newest generation of Tundra (or any other vehicle). Bound to be some shi.t in the first model year or two off the line.

You aren't going to march into a Toyota dealership and tell 'em where the bear sh.its and come walking out with what you want either. Less so than the GM, likely longer wait, and money down to get your spot in line for what they'll feed you.
It’s mostly COVTARDs that are stunned to discover the supply chain has encountered issues.

Unreal.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Originally Posted by deflave
It’s mostly COVTARDs that are stunned to discover the supply chain has encountered issues.

Unreal.

Even in Japan?
I failed to mention, it will be used for hunting and just day to day getting from point A to point B. I do take 500-1000 mile road trips for hunting. I tow very little if at all and don’t haul anything greater than a dead elk or two.

Unreal.

Just imagine how liberating it would be to go through life oblivious for 30 months (years?)...fu.ckkk me.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I’ve got an 06 Silverado with 230,000+ on it. Other than a nutty a/c system, it has been VERY maintenance free. Of course the new ones have more gadgets that can break and malfunction. Hard to argue with Toyota reliability though. Toyota doesn’t send money to the communist UAW either.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Had a Silverado. It was a 6.2L Towmax. Biggest piece of garbage I've ever owned. Sure, had nice features and it was powerful, but none of those things matter much if it breaks down more than its on the road.

I went through ball joints on mine like crazy and the parts were asinine. I ended up buying an after-market lift kit for it that had cheaper ball joints. It went from $800+ a set to $200. The steering rack went out three times while I owned it. That also wasn't cheap. AC, bearings, blower motor, so on and so forth. Then the engine started to sludge. Then finally, the transmission went out. While I liked the truck itself, I spent about all I could in repairs on the POS when it had a mere 130,000 miles on it.

I bought a new Tacoma. So far it gets better mileage, its more nimble, but performance isn't like the Silverado. That's ok, I don't need to hot rod it or cruise around with "luxury". That's the problem with these trucks these days, they want to turn them into a car and put so much electronics on them that they are unusable.

I wouldn't buy anything GM these days.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
The 2022 Tundra has a 3.5L turbo engine very similar to what Ford is using. Fuel mileage is better than Tacoma now. Too early to say how it will work out.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I failed to mention, it will be used for hunting and just day to day getting from point A to point B. I do take 500-1000 mile road trips for hunting. I tow very little if at all and don’t haul anything greater than a dead elk or two.

Find a 1500 Z71 extended cab with the 5.3.
It will do all you need. And do it very well.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Get on Toyota US web site & build a Tundra with their program. Or see if you can, & get all you want. I've been kicked up to a crew cab from an extended, or to a $4000 package upgrade just for a color change. Forget about getting wheel options other than what is in a particular package.

And... the word on the street in these parts is that the Yota plant just up the road is building nothing but the the highest end, most heavily optioned units they can. Folks are buying all they can make so they've decided to build only the highest profit units.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I never owned one, but my buddies Tundra falls on it's face when pulling an ATV trailer. My wife's Jeep will out run it with the same weight and a V6.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
The Tundra may have the edge on ugly, but the Silverodriquez ain't far behind.

Unreal.
What are these supply chain issues you speak of??
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Buying a truck for the color is like buying a horse because you like the color, but it is not broke to ride or work. Doesn't look like you need a 3/4 T, go with the Silverado. If you are considering a 1/2 T any of the big three. The Tundra is automobile with a truck bed . Looks like you could go with a Tacoma
Originally Posted by gunzo
Get on Toyota US web site & build a Tundra with their program. Or see if you can, & get all you want. I've been kicked up to a crew cab from an extended, or to a $4000 package upgrade just for a color change. Forget about getting wheel options other than what is in a particular package.
Options can vary by region too.

Do a search on cars.com for the whole nation, don't limit yourself to just a few hundred miles from home.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I never owned one, but my buddies Tundra falls on it's face when pulling an ATV trailer. My wife's Jeep will out run it with the same weight and a V6.

😂
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Unreal.

Nothin'.

Everything's fine.

Get boosted, stay safe. In it together.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Buying a truck for the color is like buying a horse because you like the color, but it is not broke to ride or work. Doesn't look like you need a 3/4 T, go with the Silverado. If you are considering a 1/2 T any of the big three. The Tundra is automobile with a truck bed . Looks like you could go with a Tacoma
Not a Tundra fan but my dad has one. 5.7 and something like a 4.33 gear. Pulling SOB it is.

Hauling reminds me of older domestic 3/4 tons. Definitely heavier springs than domestic 1/2 ton pickups.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Better wait a while. New tundra having some recall issues. Probably just what you see with 1st gen vehicle reboot. Give it a year or two to sort out.

Unreal.

Nothin'.

Everything's fine.

No need for a booster. I stay safe in my house.
The old 5.7 Was about the toughest engine around. But everybody's wanting a sports car these days.
Posted By: coobie Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Thanks
I have driven chevy, ford and dodge/ram trucks for the last 30 years.I ordered a 2022 Ram 1500 longhorn 4X4 crew cab with 5.7 hemi in April it came in last Friday.Nice fit and finish & great ride. Fuel mileage is around 19 mpg,s highway ..

Unreal.

Nothin'.

Everything's fine.

No need for a booster. I stay safe in my house.

Even better.
Posted By: pappabear Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
3022 is a thousand years off!!!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Anybodies experience with the previous generation Tundra is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Based on...?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Me being a 'Yota guy.....

Wouldn't dream of replacing my ole Silverado with a new Tundra

The '02 pampered garage queen...2500 HD crew now with 137K miles

Considered the Duramax/Allison when I ordered it...was $7K more at the time

So I stuck with the 6.0L gasser...had no real reason to have the Duramax

Been a good dependable truck...Never pulled anything really heavy

4 place loaded horse trailer....this Lexus from PHX AZ last year......all uphill ):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Glad I'm not needing a vehicle at this time.
Posted By: 79S Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Isn’t there a thread floating around from a few yrs back. Guy try ordering a Toyota with what he wanted and it kept getting kicked back. Basically Toyota was going to build it their way.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

4 place loaded horse trailer....this Lexus from PHX AZ last year......all uphill ):

If I could have bought a new '02 2500 HD instead of my current truck, I sure would have. Wore out an '03. My dad still has an '01 and an '05. No mechanical issues between them, just maintenance for over 500k miles.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I have a 2017 Silverado. 70k on it now. The only issues I had was a leaky Front strut and the washer pump went out. Both early, under 10k miles. I like it enough I am about a year late trading it in. Probably go with a GMC next.
Originally Posted by tylerw02

If I could have bought a new '02 2500 HD instead of my current truck, I sure would have. Wore out an '03. My dad still has an '01 and an '05. No mechanical issues between them, just maintenance for over 500k miles.

Mine.....biggest maintenance has been

last year all new rotors & pads

this year...belts/hoses/water pump/fresh coolant(2nd time)/thermostat/temp sending unit etc

Otherwise oil & filters......trans flush....twice

Have a talented mechanic buddy that likes cash & beer......

Never realized how uphill it was from AZ to Podunk till I pulled Bubba home

Posted By: badger Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Pretty sure I would not be in line for a Tundra right now. They are having a lot of turbo problems. I know the parts manager at the local Toyota dealer and though he’s a gung-ho Toyota guy, he admits they are not the success they should be. Toyota is working on fixes, but as of 2 weeks ago, he’s heard nothing.
Posted By: 79S Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Originally Posted by badger
Pretty sure I would not be in line for a Tundra right now. They are having a lot of turbo problems. I know the parts manager at the local Toyota dealer and though he’s a gung-ho Toyota guy, he admits they are not the success they should be. Toyota is working on fixes, but as of 2 weeks ago, he’s heard nothing.

My bud is a mechanic at a big Toyota dealership and said beware of the new tundras. If dead set on a tundra find 21 or older with 5.7 and live with the bad fuel mileage
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I had a Toyota salesman tell me to wait until they get the bugs out of the new V-6 Turbos they're putting in the new Tundras. That wasn't the service manager, it was a SALESMAN. We'd just bought the wife a new RAV4, and I was looking for a new vehicle for me. When I mentioned that I might look at the Tundras, he told me to wait.

I've been looking around, and still haven't found anything I like enough to trade my current pickup towards. Nothing at all. Ford is having all kinds of issues with their vehicles catching fire, GM is having issues with engines dropping lifters, Ram is getting rid of the Hemi for a V-6 Turbo, and I don't like the local Nissan dealer, that doesn't leave much.

I do really like the wife's RAV4, but I think I have one more pickup left in me.
Posted By: Adams Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Just purchased a $70,000 pickup. Do some Internet searching. Motor Trend. Car and Driver. etc. read their reviews. Clear winners out there. Neither of which you have mentioned. Good luck. My mechanic a Chevy guy all his life strong recommendation don't buy another GMC.

Adams
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Bingo. Life is too short to drive ugly ass pickups.
Thanks guys.
I’m not liking what you are telling me about the new turbo motored in the Toyota.
I’ll re think and maybe ride out another year with my current truck.
Posted By: WhiteTrash Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Government Motor Car? Heard they are building them with 3 left tires nowadays. Old man has a 21 3/4 duramax. Underpowered and anything hitched to it with any kind of weight puts it on the overloads not to mention the price…. I’d save my money. Only thing worth a [bleep] is the brucejenner.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
Originally Posted by WhiteTrash
Only thing worth a [bleep] is the brucejenner.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: 603Country Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I have an 07 Tundra. 180,000 miles on it now. 15 years old, and I’ve had very little done to it. So far, the damage has been a replacement starter and a right rear taillight bulb. No problem towing my travel trailer or my flat trailer with the tractor on it. Fifteen years and nothing else has needed work. Never burned a drop of oil yet. An amazing truck. What an engine. Yes, I will buy another one., but I sure don’t need one.

Guy I know is ex-Toyota, and he says to wait till 2023.

My Tundra mileage does suck, at 15 mpg average. Gets 10 mpg towing my TT. They say the new ones only get 17 average, if they get that much. I’m waiting to see if the Hybrid version has significantly better mileage, and who knows what it’ll cost. I may wind up just keeping the 07 till it dies, but the problem with that is that it may never die before I do.

It’s true that I can’t drive past a gas station, but I sure can drive past the Toyota dealer service entrance, and I like that.
Here's my '03 Lexus LX 470 computer reading..not towing

AC on........86*....heavy SUV pushing 7K#

Driving like I didn't steal it

4.7L Toyota was prior to to the newer 5.7L

Both good engines

Posted By: Hastings Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I own a Toyota Tundra and a GMC Sierra, both with small V8 engines. Get the GMC/Chevrolet. My GMC gets twice the gas mileage the Tundra does and is a better truck for towing. The newer Tundra has that awful cannister oil filter instead of the spin on.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I put a $1k deposit on a 2022 Tundra back in November...

Since then I have been getting real time intel from guys that bought them early (i.e. they work at the dealership and have an inside track).

That intel is NOT good... as in they will probably be selling their trucks/have already sold them... stuff failing/cracking/leaking... kinda nuts for Toyota.

When mine comes in... I will decide yes or no at that time.

------------------------------

GMC/Chevy... I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.
Originally Posted by badger

Don’t forget that the G44 blows up and can’t cycle.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/10/22
I think if the Toyota full size truck wasn't so ugly they would be more desirable.
Originally Posted by Hastings
I own a Toyota Tundra and a GMC Sierra, both with small V8 engines. Get the GMC/Chevrolet. My GMC gets twice the gas mileage the Tundra does and is a better truck for towing. The newer Tundra has that awful cannister oil filter instead of the spin on.

And they are a PIA to change...not just Tundra

especially when you have to remove steel bumper trim plates

Then the skid plates....wife's Lexus GX 460

Holds 8 qts of oil though

Posted By: viking Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Chevy 1500’s are for gays.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Until Toyota can offer a Tundra with a turbo charged diesel engine in it, then Chevy wins hands-down IMHO.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
They all suck. Especially right now.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by viking
Chevy 1500’s are for gays.
They are both an order of magnitude better than they were 20 years ago.
Posted By: hardway Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
This wouldn't be a good thread if someone didn't completely change the subject or give you an answer to question you didn't ask lol.

I absolutely can't complain about the f150's that my work buys for me.... I used to get diesel 3/4 tons but when I promoted I started getting half tons... first was a 16 with the eco boost v6.... had that one for about 5 years and 130k miles.... about 50% on very rough dirt grading jobs.... lots of 4x4 time. Only issue that truck had was the ac crapped out around 100,000 but to be fair my truck runs about 12 hours a day regardless if I'm driving or not.... it's basically my office and I'm 100% in the field all day every day..... so bad our mechanics had me start getting my oil changes based on hours instead of miles.

New one is a 21 4 door 4x4 with the same v6 eco boost.... only about 15k on this one but so far so good. Only thing I don't like which probably goes for all new cars is the extra collision avoidance crap.... when you're off road all the time it's always trying to do the thinking for you..... this one, if you are backing up in tall grass it thinks you are going to back into something and locks up the brakes.... will definitely spill your coffee if you aren't ready for it.

The other thing you can't help but notice , at least around here is that almost every big fleet of work trucks is almost always Ford.... you'll here all kinds of reasons why but companies are in business to make money.... we have something like 400 trucks in our fleet and they are all Fords. Good luck.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by ltppowell

That is actually a pretty fugging good recap of new trucks in 2022.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
The Tundra Payload is greater than the Silverado. It is closer to 3/4 ton than 1/2 ton. The Tundra is simple and reliable.
Posted By: 79S Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Here's my '03 Lexus LX 470 computer reading..not towing

AC on........86*....heavy SUV pushing 7K#

Driving like I didn't steal it

4.7L Toyota was prior to to the newer 5.7L

Both good engines

Jesus gramps 44 mph.. I hope you would get better that 17 mpg driving that slow..
Posted By: PPosey Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Bought a Tundra crewmax in 2008.

Wanted a new truck in 2017 after 200,000 miles.

Test drove a Chevy 1500 crew cab. It drove like a big fat car. And the rear headrest would not stay up if you pushed back with your head at all letting your head hit the rear glass. I haul people back there.

Bought a 2017 Tundra Crewmax. Happy with it. It feels like a truck. Not a big fat car.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22

Wow! What an observation!

One thing you can count on at the Campfire is lots of opinions with no experience. This observation is as worthless as the guys that think they need to weigh their powder charges, clean primer pockets, seat primers with a hand primer, anneal cases and all the other ridiculous comments that appear here on a regular basis…
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
I like the Tundras, on my third ('05 with 4.7L, '13 with 4.6L, now a '20 with 5.7L). Have towed up to about 8000 lbs with the new truck (2100lb dump trailer with 3 tons crushed stone), handled it fine. Gas mileage not great, newest with the 5.7 worst of the bunch.

BUT, no way I'd buy a 2022 with the new engine. Let somebody else work the bugs out.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
not related to the OP but....

I expected schit gas mileage with my 2000 Tundra I bought last year.

If I drive like an old man, keeping it at 70 on the interstate, I get 18.4 mpg consistently.

My MDX gets 17.9 regardless of whether I'm doing 70 or 85 but it also takes premium gas

So I drive the Tundra now and park that MDX.

If the car market wasn't so messed up I'd sell that MDX and get a 4 cyl Camry.
Posted By: Teal Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel

One thing you can count on at the Campfire is lots of opinions with no experience. This observation is as worthless as the guys that think they need to weigh their powder charges, clean primer pockets, seat primers with a hand primer, anneal cases and all the other ridiculous comments that appear here on a regular basis…

The campfire is basically bacon. 70% fat and salty.
Originally Posted by Teal

OK guys... point a fella in the direction of a solid and reliable $35k or less 4wd 1/2 ton pick-up that can be bought with cash money this week...
Originally Posted by CashisKing

OK guys... point a fella in the direction of a solid and reliable $35k or less 4wd 1/2 ton pick-up that can be bought with cash money this week...

1 dealer - down the road from me

Cheby
Dodge
Ford
Top 3 brands - 1 spot.

Another dealer - shows 26 trucks, sub 35k

Different Dealer - 29 trucks.

220 of them at Carvana - they deliver to your house.

Those are within easy driving distance. Not counting private sellers on Craig's or Facebook marketplace.

Posted By: Chisos Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by KFWA

Appears Toyota ditched their 5.7 V8 for a V6 twin turbo engine in '22. Guess I'll keep my '13.
Posted By: TreeMutt Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
My last 5 trucks have been Chevys

Can't get a 1500 THAT i WANT but can get a Dodge Ram 1500

Haven't driven one yet but any opinions on Silverado vs Ram?
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
My last 5 trucks have been Chevys

Can't get a 1500 THAT i WANT but can get a Dodge Ram 1500

Haven't driven one yet but any opinions on Silverado vs Ram?

Brother had a Chev, father currently has a Ram - no major differences. They both go down the road, haul dead critters etc. I will say that the Chev seemed to have an interior I prefer over the Dodge - I just don't like the dial transmission selector, tho I have one myself.

Full disclosure - I'm not uber picky about "options" - all I really want and need is 4wd, a color other than black, blutooth connectivity and the usual AC/cruise control. That's it. If I can't get it done with that - it's not getting done.

What you want and what is available has nothing to do with the quality of a new pickup. Granted, they are not priced as they were 10 years ago, but show me something that is.

Every generation of truck buyers thought the trucks were too expensive even when they were $4,000.00.

If you don’t want to pay for a new truck, you don’t have to. The automotive industry isn’t going out of business soon, so someone is buying new trucks. Someone has to buy a new truck, so you can buy it used later. If it isn’t working out for you, it isn’t the automotive industry’s fault, it is a consequence of the consumer and how he buys a truck.

If it was easy, every toothless redneck would be driving one, but you can be sure, they are getting their share too…

Cheby
Dodge
Ford
Top 3 brands - 1 spot.

Those are within easy driving distance. Not counting private sellers on Craig's or Facebook marketplace.

My bad... I meant to say NEW $35k or less 4wd 1/2 ton pick-up that can be bought with cash money this week...
Posted By: KFWA Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by Chisos

Appears Toyota ditched their 5.7 V8 for a V6 twin turbo engine in '22. Guess I'll keep my '13.

quite a few people out there saying don't buy them.

the good news is for me when I'm ready to buy one 15 years from now, I'll know what is wrong with them.

What you want and what is available has nothing to do with the quality of a new pickup. Granted, they are not priced as they were 10 years ago, but show me something that is.

Every generation of truck buyers thought the trucks were too expensive even when they were $4,000.00.

If you don’t want to pay for a new truck, you don’t have to. The automotive industry isn’t going out of business soon, so someone is buying new trucks. Someone has to buy a new truck, so you can buy it used later. If it isn’t working out for you, it isn’t the automotive industry’s fault, it is a consequence of the consumer and how he buys a truck.

If it was easy, every toothless redneck would be driving one, but you can be sure, they are getting their share too…

Got it... $100k truck is the new normal.

So be it...
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by Chisos

good idea

Morning all

Cheby
Dodge
Ford
Top 3 brands - 1 spot.

My bad... I meant to say NEW $35k or less 4wd 1/2 ton pick-up that can be bought with cash money this week...

Lol - all new trucks should be considered "solid and reliable" - adding that modifier made me think you were looking used. As most would be given the other parameters. New - it doesn't exist but it is obvious you CAN get what you want at the price you want. That Chevy has all of 34k miles on it. Hardly used up and fits the bill.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22

Cheby
Dodge
Ford
Top 3 brands - 1 spot.

While it isn't a full-size, the Tacoma is technically a 1/2 ton and can be had for that price.
The automotive industry isn’t going out of business soon...

Maybe... maybe not...

Loosing 50% of your Market Cap in 6 month ain't good...

Posted By: 257Bob Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
I just sold my F150 5.0 and bought a Silverado 1500 with the 2.7 turbo, I drove it home from Michigan (bought it from a family member) and averaged 26 mpg. I don't have anything to tow anymore and the 2.7 has plenty of power for what I need and the improved MPG is much appreciated. I did drive a new 2022 Tundra and would have bought one but they were hard to find in the mid-level packages and if I was going to pay $60k, I would just get another F150. The Tundra was very nice, more car like than a truck, smooth ride and nice interior, the 3.5 turbo had plenty of power but the MPG is ok at best. The only thing I really didn't like was the view of the hood from the drivers seat, it kind of came to a point in the middle and just looked odd to me, I'm sure I would have gotten used to it in time. For a daily commuter and weekend hunting/fishing/project hauling truck, it would be fine but for the same money, I'd take a F150 with a 2.7. I got a great deal on my Silverado but if I were paying $60, I'd still choose the F150. I did actually order (and cancel due to delay) a F150, 4WD Lariat for $56k which was the best deal I could find.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
While it isn't a full-size, the Tacoma is technically a 1/2 ton and can be had for that price.[/quote]

Tacoma went to crap after those turds put V-6's auto trannies in them to make yuppy a-holes happy. With a 2.7 l 4cyl and a 5 spd you have a neat little truck that goes anywhere dirt cheap on gas and a engine drive train that outlasts the body. Mb
Lol - all new trucks should be considered "solid and reliable" - adding that modifier made me think you were looking used.

NEW Ford 6.0s and 6.4s leaving the lot were "solid and reliable"?
While it isn't a full-size, the Tacoma is technically a 1/2 ton and can be had for that price.

Yes... but they are damn rare as base models... damn rare...
Lol - all new trucks should be considered "solid and reliable" - adding that modifier made me think you were looking used.

NEW Ford 6.0s and 6.4s leaving the lot were "solid and reliable"?

For quite a few people - yes they were. For quite a few people - they weren't but only an intellectually dishonest person would equate issues with a 3/4 ton diesel when talking about the ability to get a 1/2 ton at a cheap price.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Have you guys talked to the warranty department?

Here's 2 - 30 miles down the road.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
I call bullshit. I have a 2015 Tundra that has been from Wisconsin to Texas twice hauling a Polaris Ranger and another quad. Also all around the state and hauling a camper. No issues at all and plenty of power to spare. Yeah my buddies Jeep Cherokee is such a beast...lol when its not in the shop..lmao

"Solid and reliable" came from the exchange above...

Shrapnel commented regarding big $$$ diesels (he has a beautiful new rig per previously posted pics).

... only an intellectually dishonest person would equate issues with a 3/4 ton diesel when talking about the ability to get a 1/2 ton at a cheap price.

My point is... and remains... 2022 trucks in the "affordable range" suck...

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Have you guys talked to the warranty department?

Yepp... 2022 Tundra specifically...

Be careful... even Toyota

I don't trust anything new (truck wise) at this time...

You posted 300+ used trucks under $35k... and two new Tacos...

Base model Tacos are DAMN RARE...

The new truck world of 2022 and 2023 sucks... per the OP.
Originally Posted by Hastings
My 15 Tundra has the canister as well and it is a bit of a PITA but not horrible.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
may i add this about brand of trucks 3/4 and 1 tons and yes i know they are not 1/2 ton trucks but i wanted to mention this because of brand reliability . i have worked in the past on fires out in forests ,swamps where ever we were needed when we are on fire call. we use heavy J8 Bombadiers that carry 500 gallons of water and we keep them full of water thru both fire seasons spring and fall. we have 3 - J8 Bombadiers ready to go on 5th wheel trailers hook up to heavyy 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. to be honest the Chevrolet dura-max diesels with the Allison transmission have been the most trouble free compared to Ford and Dodge always . yes the Chevrolet may not look as tough as the other two brands but it is a heck of alot more reliable season after season on fire calls. we go to areas that most people have never seen or been in we sometimes work all night long and we need a truck that has no problems to get back home.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with 103,000 and it’s had zero issues. Gas mileage went down when I leveled the truck and put bigger tires on it.

You posted 300+ used trucks under $35k... and two new Tacos...

Base model Tacos are DAMN RARE...

The new truck world of 2022 and 2023 sucks... per the OP.

You asked for a truck you could pay cash for this week for 35k - I found 300 of them within an hour of my house in about 8 seconds. 300 used trucks that should be better than what you want in new because "you trust nothing new" lol.

Then someone claims a Tacoma is a 1/2 ton, can get new for less than 35k. You claim they're rare. I point out 2 of them down the road. Rare? Don't know but for rare I found them easily. These aren't global searches but literally dealers I've bought from locally in the past. IE close to home.

I bought a used 06 Tacoma from Kolosso Toyota in 2012. They were great to work with. I am 60 miles from them but they would be one of the first places I looked if I was in the market for a Toyota.
Originally Posted by Springcove
I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with 103,000 and it’s had zero issues. Gas mileage went down when I leveled the truck and put bigger tires on it.

Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Subaru in the family. Been 10 years since one of them needed repairs. Not maintenance but repairs. In those years, 1.1 million miles driven, given I average 30k a year and the others average 20k a year each - 4 vehicles total.

Today's cars are much better than the past.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22

Mine is a TRD Off-Road crew cab, it was $36,000 with a few upgrades like bed matt, floor matts, cargo tie downs, etc. Local dealer has one of the SR5s right now and I believe it is $32k. They can be had. If I drive conservatively, I get 22-23 mpg. If I drive 75 mph, I get about 19. I've got 40,000 miles on mine and have had it about a year. Dealer still sends me an email once a week wanting to give me what I paid for if I'd sell it back.
Originally Posted by Marshhawk

I bought a used 06 Tacoma from Kolosso Toyota in 2012. They were great to work with. I am 60 miles from them but they would be one of the first places I looked if I was in the market for a Toyota.

Bought from them and LeMieux - both pretty decent. Brother bought 2 Jeeps from Kolosso too - loves them there.
Posted By: 79S Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22

You forgot Covid..

Got it... $100k truck is the new normal.

So be it...

All you want to do is argue. First you wanted a good used 4x4 for $35,000.00 and Teal found it for you. That wasn’t good enough, now you want new truck for $35,000.00. Make up your mind and land yourself back on earth.

Now you say you have to pay $100,000.00 for a new 1/2 ton truck. What is the matter with you?

I just bought a new (ordered from the factory in 3 months) 2022 Chevy 3500 LT, Duramax diesel with a 10 speed Allison transmission and paid $65,000.00 for it delivered in Bozeman. That is short of the $100,000.00 mark you quoted, enough left over to buy the used truck Teal found for you.

A new 1/2 ton Chevy will be substantially less than what I paid for the 3500 Duramax.

Just what is it you want?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
shrap, you answered the question yourself.......he wants to argue, like alot of folks around here.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
shrap, you answered the question yourself.......he wants to argue, like alot of folks around here.

I’m out shooting gophers, what are you up to?
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Gas mileage went down when I leveled the truck and put bigger tires on it.

Well no shidt.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Gas mileage went down when I leveled the truck and put bigger tires on it.

Well no shidt.

I expected it to genius. I was just providing information captain obvious.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22

I’m out shooting gophers, what are you up to?

Been shooting hogs, mostly at night. Way to hot during the day. Working some as well, tending to my dad who we have to put in a memory care facility.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
for the Toyoda haters

Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/11/22
Buy a Ford!there DONE
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22

I don't get the "leveling" unless you have a yorkie on your lap and a Starbucks in cup holder.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Buy a Ford!there DONE

N O T
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
.[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: Teal Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I don't get the "leveling" unless you have a yorkie on your lap and a Starbucks in cup holder.

isaac (bob) hasn't posted in forever...
Leveled the ole '02 back in '02

Got 285-16's on 'em now though

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22

Because a truck should be level and not have the front end 2" lower than the ass.

Ford and Dodge don't have the issue nearly as bad as GM from 1999 and up.

Because a truck should be level and not have the front end 2" lower than the ass.

exactly
same with SUV's

Posted By: moosemike Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
50,000 miles in I'm happy with my 20 Silverado 2.7
If you use it as a truck instead of a car it levels itself…
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
What color, body style and motor do you want?

Should be able to order any specs they offer.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
for the Toyoda haters

Pretty sure that's not a 2022/23 model, which was the basis of the OP. I've had 3 fuel transport tractors go well over 1M miles, but that has nothing to do with the OP either.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
All you want to do is argue. First you wanted a good used 4x4 for $35,000.00 and Teal found it for you.

At no point in the entire thread have I said USED...

As for the trucks Teal found they were as much as 8 years old... and some with mileage over 140k... Dandy...

This entire thread started with the OP asking about a New Tundra or New Chevy...

Used and diesel were injected by you and others...

Now you say you have to pay $100,000.00 for a new 1/2 ton truck. What is the matter with you?

Help me find that quote also regarding a 1/2 ton gasser...

DO NOT TWIST THE FACTS!

As for your 2022 Duramax... congratulations AGAIN (I also congratulated you in May... and June)... Mention it again and I will send cookies...

A new 2022 loaded Duramax @ $65k... Find me one... in real time...

The entire point is that base level 1/2 ton new trucks are rare as hell...
Buddy paid close to 80k and a several month wait for a Chevy crew cab long bed 3500 with a duramax.

Another buddy called down to phoenix and got a brand new Chevy 1/2 ton crew cab short box trail boss that they had on the lot. Said he saved a bunch of dough and a long wait time over getting it local from the rapist dealer.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
All you want to do is argue. First you wanted a good used 4x4 for $35,000.00 and Teal found it for you.

At no point in the entire thread have I said USED...

As for the trucks Teal found they were as much as 8 years old... and some with mileage over 140k... Dandy...

This entire thread started with the OP asking about a New Tundra or New Chevy...

Used and diesel were injected by you and others...

Help me find that quote also regarding a 1/2 ton gasser...

DO NOT TWIST THE FACTS!

As for your 2022 Duramax... congratulations AGAIN (I also congratulated you in May... and June)... Mention it again and I will send cookies...

A new 2022 loaded Duramax @ $65k... Find me one... in real time...

The entire point is that base level 1/2 ton new trucks are rare as hell...

What don’t you get? . Go ahead and wiggle back and forth. You did say a truck costing $100,000.00 is the new normal.

Here is your quote:

My mention of the diesel is to show how far off you are with your analysis on the cost of trucks. If I paid $65,000.00 for a one ton diesel pickup, any prospective truck buyer would know a gas 1/2 ton will cost much less.

You must be a handful on the playground…
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22

Yup.

I've always hated the look of leveled trucks, looks highly gay. I've never seen anybody that actually uses their truck with it leveled.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Yup.

I've always hated the look of leveled trucks, looks highly gay. I've never seen anybody that actually uses their truck with it leveled.

As posted a trucks frond end should not be 2” lower than the rear. You get better ground clearance which is needed going off road.

Some of us actually take our trucks off road and use them as trucks.
Posted By: deflave Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Gruff takes his rig off road it’s just never intentional.

LOL
Posted By: Springcove Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Gruff takes his rig off road it’s just never intentional.

LOL

😂😂😂

Yup.

As posted a trucks frond end should not be 2” lower than the rear. You get better ground clearance which is needed going off road.

Some of us actually take our trucks off road and use them as trucks.
Leveling does help a little with clearance but more tire diameter will help as well

Leveling will help some with frame clearance but otherwise bottoms of lower control arms are in same spot plus steepens the angles of front axles and control arms.

Bottom of diff gains a little clearance.

Want more clearance under the whole thing go with larger tires which in turn may need leveling or an actual suspension lift. No rear blocks either, new leaf packs.

Big difference between a level and a lift.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
I’ve owned three Toyotas and one Chevrolet.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22

exactly

I agree. Who wants a raked 4x4. Looks dumb as hell...
Rake was meant for a muscle car.

This one is getting a Rough Country 2" level as soon as new house is done. Pre loaded front struts. Ass end will stay the same.

Right now 3" between garage door when up and auxiliary antenna. Hate to push it too much.

Posted By: 79S Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Made a run to the Kasilof and avg 22.0 on lyometer. This is 2022 GMC 1/2 with the 5.3.

[Linked Image]
I've had every diesel 3/4, 1 ton, and 450 series truck out there. The GM Duramax has easily the best transmission with the Allison unit but the engine on these isn't what I'd call worth it and I've had several of them. An one ton Duramax or any diesel is overpriced for what it is, the fuel is expensive and maintenance is high and very expensive if you really use them.

Ford make a better truck overall but the diesel part is just ok. For cost and maintenance the best truck would be a Ford super duty powered by Cummins and linked to an Allison transmission. I wish.

But really if a guy wants a good truck get the Toyota and maintain it properly. They're just a better product and outlast our so called domestic trucks all things considered. I wouldn't get to caught up in features and new doo dad's. Get the Toyota if it's gotta last.

Im rocking an new Dodge junk ram diesel and my daily driver is an old 2000 Dodge Cummins. Just waiting to get all my parts for the steering, front axle rebuild parts, ball joints and drag l inks and brake parts. It's got an new trans and head mill valve seat and gasket. I'm doing this myself to save some coin but if I had a Toyota I'd probably be still driving instead of putting on parts
What don’t you get? . Go ahead and wiggle back and forth. You did say a truck costing $100,000.00 is the new normal.

No wiggling... Read the whole exchange... DO NOT TWIST IT...

i.e. after you got yacking again about your Chevy diesel deluxe... NOTHING to do with a 1/2 ton gasser... and you damn well know that.

-------------------------------------------

NOT A CLUE how you only paid $65k... $65k + $43k??? with the 2012 Cummins $43k trade-in?...

FIND ME ONE IN REAL TIME...

All new Fords, Chevy and Dodge diesels are chasing the hell of of 6 figures. Build one anywhere... anytime... add Dealer mark-ups.

Here is your quote:

My mention of the diesel is to show how far off you are with your analysis on the cost of trucks. If I paid $65,000.00 for a one ton diesel pickup, any prospective truck buyer would know a gas 1/2 ton will cost much less.

You must be a handful on the playground…

Hell, the new Ford F-150 EV is chasing $95k with the practical battery...

--------------------------------------------

And yet again... the OP was asking about New Chevy gasser or New Tundra...

Send me your address... I promised to mail you cookies if you mentioned your truck a 25th time...
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I've had every diesel 3/4, 1 ton, and 450 series truck out there. The GM Duramax has easily the best transmission with the Allison unit but the engine on these isn't what I'd call worth it and I've had several of them. An one ton Duramax or any diesel is overpriced for what it is, the fuel is expensive and maintenance is high and very expensive if you really use them.

Ford make a better truck overall but the diesel part is just ok. For cost and maintenance the best truck would be a Ford super duty powered by Cummins and linked to an Allison transmission. I wish.

But really if a guy wants a good truck get the Toyota and maintain it properly. They're just a better product and outlast our so called domestic trucks all things considered. I wouldn't get to caught up in features and new doo dad's. Get the Toyota if it's gotta last.

Im rocking an new Dodge junk ram diesel and my daily driver is an old 2000 Dodge Cummins. Just waiting to get all my parts for the steering, front axle rebuild parts, ball joints and drag l inks and brake parts. It's got an new trans and head mill valve seat and gasket. I'm doing this myself to save some coin but if I had a Toyota I'd probably be still driving instead of putting on parts

Good recap...

IMHO the 68RFE is a damn good trans... so is the NP271 T-Case.

The older 47RE is a POS, but it can be rebuilt to handle any load the truck can support... The NV241DHD is a decent T-Case... The NV4500/NV241DHD was the best combo for 1 tons.

I have had 30+/- of these Mopar trucks.

Aisin vs. Allison... Aisin is better... but not for me... I'll stick with a 68RFE...

The Eaton Fuller 6 Speed manual is the perfect trans behind a Cummins, but it is a BIG SOB... Had that combo in a F-650 once... amazing ratios.
Just waiting to get all my parts for the steering, front axle rebuild parts, ball joints and drag l inks and brake parts.

Just did a 2011 Ram front end... $2,700 turnkey for everything... these damn things suck $$$.
Originally Posted by 79S
Made a run to the Kasilof and avg 22.0 on lyometer. This is 2022 GMC 1/2 with the 5.3.

[Linked Image]

Nice. Pretty low oil pressure...
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Mind your brakes... parts are EXPENSIVE

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

30# at idle is plenty.

Yup.

Well if you're truck is leveled as soon as you haul something it looks like you're doing the Carolina squat
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

That's GM for you. Low oil pressure is what they do now. My 20 Silverado operates at the same pressure
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

30# at idle is plenty.

But it really never rises much from there
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
I have a 2021 Silverado Custom 1500 with the 2.7L turbo 4 cylinder with 8 speed transmission. I don't tow anything, but put a lot a miles on. Got it a little over year ago and hit 41k miles this week. Pretty no frills truck. That little motor has been great, plenty of power for commuting off and on road. I'm getting just shy of 21 mpg on 10 ply all terrains tires.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
go to a dealer that carries chevy work trucks. i bought a 2021 silverado 1500WT. double cab,it has 10" less room in the back but still room for 4 adults.

has everything i need. power everything except ,seats,heated mirrors. came with rubber floor mats. white with black trim. came with steel gray painted wheels and straight tread tires. i bought 4 black aluminum wheels and new bfg at tires the week i bought the truck. 5.3 motor with 6 speed trans.
i have less than 40,000.00 in it. wheels added and bed cover . averages 18.5-19 mpg running around and the best i have gotten on a trip is 21.6
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
These are some interesting mpg reports. My Dodge 1500 company truck gets 20 to 22+ mpg, with lots of power to spare. I do a lot of interstate driving though. With a straight up gas engine getting that kind of fuel mileage and performance, why would anyone want a turbo that offers no real improvement?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22

Yup.

Another plus of the raised ass end is, you get better gas mileage as yer always going downhill.......
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
May have already been stated in the pages of this thread, but I'm hearing major issues with the new tundras. I spoke with my local Toyota dealer and they told me to wait a year or two to let them get all the bugs out. They have already had to buy back a few of the new tundras they sold due to endless issues. Love the idea of a Tundra that gets good mileage, but gonna have to wait on the new ones for a year or so
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
NOT A CLUE how you only paid $65k... $65k + $43k??? with the 2012 Cummins $43k trade-in?...

All new Fords, Chevy and Dodge diesels are chasing the hell of of 6 figures. Build one anywhere... anytime... add Dealer mark-ups.

One more time:

I paid $65,000.00 with no trade, no dealer markup for the 2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 crew cab, Duramax, Allison 10 speed transmission, ordered to my specifications. Nothing more nothing less.

What can’t you understand about that?
Posted By: deflave Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
I can attest that shrapnel always drives a fine vehicle and I prefer he drive whenever we hang out.

Just be ready to explain how you forgot your wallet when he stops to fuel up because those big rig type trucks hold a lot of gasoline.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Everyday driving truck.............Ford F-150

Working truck.......................Ford F-250

Nothing else comes close.
Posted By: Teal Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22

One more time:

I paid $65,000.00 with no trade, no dealer markup for the 2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 crew cab, Duramax, Allison 10 speed transmission, ordered to my specifications. Nothing more nothing less.

Brand new Diesel - on the lot, less than 70k - 30 mins away. (I worked at this location for 2 years in HS)

4 Diesels - under 70k New. - About an hour away
Posted By: centershot Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Boss drives a new F-150, running board fell off and got ran over on a job site the other day. Will have that fixed along with 3 recalls (so far) Ford Quality.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Did someone say Quality? The new Blundra is on it's first of many recalls to come!!!

Click Here

The recall report filed with NHTSA blames the loosening of certain nuts on the rear axle assembly and said, "If complete separation occurs, this can affect vehicle stability and brake performance, increasing the risk of a crash."
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
I've owned most all models of 1/2T crew 4x4 pickups in work fleets since early 2000's. The early 2000's Tundras were the best ones ever made, the Fords and GM's have been relatively trouble free with routine maintenance, and the new Ram's since 2000 run circles around any of them. My '20 Ecodiesel is kicking ass so far at 40k.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by walt501
Did someone say Quality? The new Blundra is on it's first of many recalls to come!!!

Click Here

The recall report filed with NHTSA blames the loosening of certain nuts on the rear axle assembly and said, "If complete separation occurs, this can affect vehicle stability and brake performance, increasing the risk of a crash."

Just trying to catch up with Ford.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by Heeler

Click Here

Did Walt say "warped lugnuts"?
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Boss drives a new F-150, running board fell off and got ran over on a job site the other day. Will have that fixed along with 3 recalls (so far) Ford Quality.
Its all of them.

Get a good one and you got a good one, get a POS and that's what you get for life.

I take my chances w GM and have never had any real quality issues.

Worst GM was an 03 that ate the factory front axle seals by 70k or so. New seals under warranty and all was well. No other issues.

Worst Ford was a 15 F-350 that left me in the side of the road at around 70k, ate an AC compressor around 100k as well as a broken exhaust manifold at about the same time.

Never had a Dodge. A bud brags on em but he never put over 40k on one. Hardly any kind of test.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Heeler

Click Here

Did Walt say "warped lugnuts"?

Yeah thats a real thing with Ford. Warped lugnuts and cam phaser timing issues
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
I bought a 1978 in 1980. Put 300,000 miles on it
Ran it until 1990
Bought a 1988 in 1990. Put 249,000 miles on it
Ran it until 2004
Bought a new one in 2004. Put 218,000 miles on it
Ran it until 2021
Bought a 2007 in 2009. Has 87,000 miles on it
Still running
Bought a new one 2021 has 10,000 miles

5 chevy’s in 44 yrs
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
I'd be happy with either. Both are good trucks.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/12/22
FORD
Originally Posted by garddogg56
FORD

N O T
Posted By: pal Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
GMC Suburban and Yukon 4x4's were by far the most expensive vehicles to keep running. The quality of my 2000 Tundra 4x4 is head and shoulders above them.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by pal
GMC Suburban and Yukon 4x4's were by far the most expensive vehicles to keep running. The quality of my 2000 Tundra 4x4 is head and shoulders above them.

lol

I had a 2000 Yukon Denali that I should have never sold. I'd take that any day every day over anything Toyota ever put out.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22

One more time:

How do you like it? They are nice looking trucks.
Just waiting to get all my parts for the steering, front axle rebuild parts, ball joints and drag l inks and brake parts.

Just did a 2011 Ram front end... $2,700 turnkey for everything... these damn things suck $$$.
Yes they suck. They really suck. It's costly just for the tools to work on them too. Dodge axle castle nuts need a torque wrench capable of 265ft lb and Ford's track bar requires 405ft lbs and then there's the tools for the axle seals. Man it adds up.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
I currently have a ‘17 Tundra with about 107k on it. Had it two and a half years now, been thinking of going a different direction.

Mileage is not what I was hoping for, 15 at best, 13 and change is pretty normal. I’ve pulled double anhydrous tanks with it, probably shouldn’t be doing that though. It rides nice.

Probably gonna go back to a heavy duty GM or Dodge. Last Ford I had left me pretty soured on them.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I currently have a ‘17 Tundra with about 107k on it. Had it two and a half years now, been thinking of going a different direction.

Mileage is not what I was hoping for, 15 at best, 13 and change is pretty normal. I’ve pulled double anhydrous tanks with it, probably shouldn’t be doing that though. It rides nice.

Probably gonna go back to a heavy duty GM or Dodge. Last Ford I had left me pretty soured on them.

The newer ones suck balls. Freeking pass everything but a gas station.. You guys can carry on though. More money than brains.. ha ha..
Posted By: moosemike Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
Well I know I won't buy a Chevy next time. The 110 outlets can hardly run anything at all. The Ford has a more powerful inverter and can be used as a generator which would be nice to have at hunting camp
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
sense covid everything on the market is a monday vehicle so you have no idea what you are getting with any brand.
Posted By: viking Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
The only thing I miss about the Chevy, is there auto 4x4.

Their 5.3 is a dog compared to the tundras 5.7. Chevy should have never stopped putting the 5.7 in the 1/2 tons.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by moosemike
Well I know I won't buy a Chevy next time. The 110 outlets can hardly run anything at all. The Ford has a more powerful inverter and can be used as a generator which would be nice to have at hunting camp

seems like a relatively easy thing to address ?
Posted By: moosemike Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22

seems like a relatively easy thing to address ?

A larger inverter? Wouldn't that also require heavier gauge wire? Not so easy then
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
Toyota
Rounding out the recall list is certain Toyota 2022 Tundra and Tundra Hybrid vehicles. Toyota is recalling these vehicles as flange nuts on the rear axle assembly can loosen and sometimes fall off. When that happens, it can cause a separation from the axle housing.

For questions about the recall, contact customer support at the Toyota Brand Engagement Center (1-800-331-4331) for Toyota vehicles.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/13/22
Toyota
Rounding out the recall list is certain Toyota 2022 Tundra and Tundra Hybrid vehicles. Toyota is recalling these vehicles as flange nuts on the rear axle assembly can loosen and sometimes fall off. When that happens, it can cause a separation from the axle housing.

For questions about the recall, contact customer support at the Toyota Brand Engagement Center (1-800-331-4331) for Toyota vehicles.

Oops...

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V986000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components POWER TRAIN, STRUCTURE

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles. Underbody heat and noise insulators may loosen and contact the aluminum driveshaft, which could damage the driveshaft and cause it to fracture.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V037000

Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2020-2021 Ram 1500 Classic SLT trucks. Certain vehicles were built without the retaining clip that secures the master cylinder push rod to the brake pedal, which can cause the brake pedal to separate from the brake system.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22

That reminds me of one of the things I would never ask the dealer about. That would be filed under, "Who Cares?"
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
I have a 22 Duramax from the end of last year.

I won’t be keeping it. They are average at best. Once the right tundra shows up I will be going back.

GM just isn’t keeping up.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
These are some interesting mpg reports. My Dodge 1500 company truck gets 20 to 22+ mpg, with lots of power to spare. I do a lot of interstate driving though. With a straight up gas engine getting that kind of fuel mileage and performance, why would anyone want a turbo that offers no real improvement?

The Tundra twin turbo was a double effort as I see it...

1) Comply with .GOV CID reduction "mandates" or whatever...

2) Keep the maximum HP/Torque in the "light duty" class of trucks (the hybrid Tundra is rated at 437 hp and 583 lb-ft of torque). These are $78k trucks however.

The problem is... Toyota may not have gotten all the bugs out (rare for Toyota)... I know this because I know people at McGeorge Toyota of Richmond quite well... and the new Tundras are being called "Problematic"... not Lemons just yet, but enough drama for me to have heard "watch your ass" more than once.

Ford and Chevy... and even the new 1500 Rams... zero chance I would go there on a long term truck... too many Rona parts... by too many woke Rona employees.

I am glad your work truck is solid... for how long... and how much $$$ all those computers/components will last/cost is my only caution.
Originally Posted by losttrail60

I won’t be keeping it. They are average at best. Once the right tundra shows up I will be going back.

I concur...
Shrapnal...

I have always given you the road...

Mostly because you are very old and respecting seniors is proper...

Also because you are from Montana (nice sub-division BTW)... and thirdly because you shoot chipmunks with pistols (very cool skill/pics).

Trading a like new pre-DEF 2012 6.7l Cummins (probably the most sought after truck in America) PLUS adding cash for a 2022 DEF DuraTurd... left me wondering... but alas every man must do what he thinks is best.

What I do not abide is the twisting (lying) of the statements I made.

Burns challenged you on some elk or moose picture... with a different hat or shirt or rifle... I didn't really pay much attention.

Burns is Burns... he does that chit.

Same kinda thing here though... the twisting and all...

I GET that you are trying to remain relevant...

I respect that...

But you know dick about trucks and availability.

The current market for new trucks at reasonable prices SUCKS... to disagree with that statement is prima-facie demonstrative ignorance.

I speculate I have bought and sold more trucks/trailers/equipment in the past 6 months than you have in your lifetime.

The market is simply terrible.
Teal...

I asked for a real world finds on New 1/2 ton gassers under $35k...

Like popping a cockroach scurrying on the the kitchen counter with a 3.5" 12 gauge turkey load... you gave me a "Shotgun Blast" of 300+

This came up on YOUR SEARCH... when I selected "Immediately Available/Days to Delivery"

I looked at the diesels you posted also... and pinged them by Chat (after hours)... that Chat involved "none available, but we will help you find one".

In fairness to you (and in honesty) I will actually call them when I get the chance and chase down the real story.

-------------------------------------------

Bottomline... the OP asked about a New Chevy or a New Tundra.

He went on to say availability was less than ideal...

I have done nothing other than concur and support that opinion with my real world knowledge/experience.

Instead of "Shotgun Blasting" bullchit... why not help the man find a truck to his liking?

P.S. It may be a few weeks before I get back to you... busy time at the moment... flipping real estate and construction. Sorry about that.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
Shrapnal...

Also because you are from Montana (nice sub-division BTW)... and thirdly because you shoot chipmunks with pistols (very cool skill/pics).

Trading a like new pre-DEF 2012 6.7l Cummins (probably the most sought after truck in America) PLUS adding cash for a 2022 DEF DuraTurd... left me wondering... but alas every man must do what he thinks is best.

Burns challenged you on some elk or moose picture... with a different hat or shirt or rifle... I didn't really pay much attention.

I respect that...

The current market for new trucks at reasonable prices SUCKS... to disagree with that statement is prima-facie demonstrative ignorance.

I speculate I have bought and sold more trucks/trailers/equipment in the past 6 months than you have in your lifetime.

Because you are young and dumb, (which I have given you a pass on many times) I highlighted for better understanding how you have jumped to sophomoric conclusions with juvenile enthusiasm.

First is trading in the 2012 Ram was not without much consideration. In 10 years I would have a 20 year old truck with 180-200,000 miles on it. It may not be worn out by then, but it would still have 20 years and many miles in it. If I bought a brand new 2022 truck now, in 10 years it would only be 10 years old with half the miles on it that I would have in the Ram.

In case you hadn’t noticed, I will remind you that there are more Chevy trucks in the road of all ages than there are Ram pickups. This should be an indicator of preference and dependability. I chose the Chevy because the GMC dealer was not interested in selling a truck. (This is also an indication of hard times in buying a truck as you have pointed out)

I will also add, I did my homework and looked as far away as 1000 miles, considering Dave Smith and many other high powered dealers.

As far as knowing dick about trucks and availability, you are wrong again, but your youthful exuberance gets the best of you as you try to make a case for your vast experience.

Speculating about how much you have sold and how much I have owned and sold, leaves you wide open to another miscalculation. I doubt that in 6 months of the worst economic times and market availability (which is your biggest beef presently) that you have come anywhere near such an improbable feat.

Your last comment, you did get right, but you fail to see that in a time of your incompetence, others (including myself) have and continue to find what a immensity successful guy like you hasn’t.

You may want to try finding a job at McDonalds, they are paying nearly $20.00/hour to start…
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
I still cant believe you got it for that price.

Thats wild.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22

Seems like it would be a perfect fit then

Dumschit is probably driving a 1998 Caravan.

Thats wild.

Cash has a hard time with that too. I doubt he will make it trick or treating before he explodes...

Thats wild.

Cash has a hard time with that too. I doubt he will make it trick or treating before he explodes...

Its interesting because we have a Dodge dealer in town.

The used ones....say 2019's and 2020's were for sale on his lot for 60 or so.

New ones were 70.

Dodge is typically less than Chevrolet....so I say you did really well.
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22

I could buy you for what I paid for my Duramax.
Have a 99' Frontier I'd be willing to let go reasonable......$12,500
Low Miles 229K
4wd
Flatbed[good PT wood, aprox $1K worth in todays market laugh ]
Only 5 owners of record
Air blows COLD

You cant even afford female prostitutes.
Posted By: battue Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
Whatever you get, don't ding it....Been over a month waiting for parts....Fender and bumper finally arrived with no estimate on when the lights will show up.

But are you interested in the Frontier?
Originally Posted by battue
Whatever you get, don't ding it....Been over a month waiting for parts....Fender and bumper finally arrived with no estimate on when the lights will show up.

I just put 4 new rollers, a new screen, belt and tensioner in our 12 year old Kenmore dryer.

Genuine Kenmore parts. Ordered on a Friday, delivered on TUESDAY!

I couldn't believe it.

What will you take on trade?
Posted By: battue Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
Acquaintance clipped his side mirror....3 months...
Originally Posted by battue

This is what I drive so I don't ding The GMC, that I drive so I don't ding the new Chevy...

What will you take on trade?

Blue terlet, and a heifer?
Them blue ones is hard to come by.

I will check the iron pile.

Meanwhile....I bet thats a nice pickup Shrap.

But gawd help us.....they are ugly.
Posted By: Teal Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22

There hasn't been a good looking truck since the end of the Bull Nose Ford
I am convinced that the GM design team lit the model on fire and then dropped it from a great distance onto a giant egg slicer.

Not being familiar with the nomenclature....I had to look that up. But I actually kind do like those Fords as well.
I am convinced that the GM design team lit the model on fire and then dropped it from a great distance onto a giant egg slicer.

Bring back the square body
Posted By: Teal Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22

Not being familiar with the nomenclature....I had to look that up. But I actually kind do like those Fords as well.

My first vehicle I bought was an 85 BN F150. NEVER should have given it up. Give me that truck with a modern engine/driveline - I'm good.

The vinyl interior, flip out wing windows, manual level on the floor for 4wd, - all good for me. I was NOT a fan of the mpg I got with the I6 300 and 4 speed (granny first) tho.

Thats wild.

Its interesting because we have a Dodge dealer in town.

The used ones....say 2019's and 2020's were for sale on his lot for 60 or so.

New ones were 70.

Dodge is typically less than Chevrolet....so I say you did really well.

This will really chap Cash's ass. He has a hard time with numbers...

Posted By: ConradCA Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
After Obama gave GM and Chrysler to the auto unions and they give Dems hundreds of millions I swore that I wouldn’t buy anything from GM or Chrysler.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22
Originally Posted by ConradCA
After Obama gave GM and Chrysler to the auto unions and they give Dems hundreds of millions I swore that I wouldn’t buy anything from GM or Chrysler.

I am sure if one digs deep enough , they can find something similar about Fords too. From the number of Rams on the road, I do't think the boycott hurt Chrysler too much.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 07/14/22

My first vehicle I bought was an 85 BN F150. NEVER should have given it up. Give me that truck with a modern engine/driveline - I'm good.

The vinyl interior, flip out wing windows, manual level on the floor for 4wd, - all good for me. I was NOT a fan of the mpg I got with the I6 300 and 4 speed (granny first) tho.

We had a mint one like you describe around here for sale recently. It belonged to a crew member of one of the local NASCAR teams. It was a blue/white two tone with low mileage for its age. I believe it was an 86 model with just under 80,0000 miles on it. It had the locking front hubs and came with a 351W. Guy wanted $17,000.00 for it. Truck was in great condition, inside and out.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/06/22
Shrapnal...

I respect that...

Because you are young and dumb, (which I have given you a pass on many times) I highlighted for better understanding how you have jumped to sophomoric conclusions with juvenile enthusiasm.

First is trading in the 2012 Ram was not without much consideration. In 10 years I would have a 20 year old truck with 180-200,000 miles on it. It may not be worn out by then, but it would still have 20 years and many miles in it. If I bought a brand new 2022 truck now, in 10 years it would only be 10 years old with half the miles on it that I would have in the Ram.

In case you hadn’t noticed, I will remind you that there are more Chevy trucks in the road of all ages than there are Ram pickups. This should be an indicator of preference and dependability. I chose the Chevy because the GMC dealer was not interested in selling a truck. (This is also an indication of hard times in buying a truck as you have pointed out)

I will also add, I did my homework and looked as far away as 1000 miles, considering Dave Smith and many other high powered dealers.

As far as knowing dick about trucks and availability, you are wrong again, but your youthful exuberance gets the best of you as you try to make a case for your vast experience.

Speculating about how much you have sold and how much I have owned and sold, leaves you wide open to another miscalculation. I doubt that in 6 months of the worst economic times and market availability (which is your biggest beef presently) that you have come anywhere near such an improbable feat.

Your last comment, you did get right, but you fail to see that in a time of your incompetence, others (including myself) have and continue to find what a immensity successful guy like you hasn’t.

You may want to try finding a job at McDonalds, they are paying nearly $20.00/hour to start…

Shrapnel... this thread is played.

The OP stated new trucks are hard to find... you are Teal argue wrong... new trucks are easy peasy...

You bragged for the 35th time about your Duraturd... Congrats again... send me an address and I will mail you a cookie.

Ballz will be along shortly to cover your 6.

16+/- cars, trucks and equipment in the past 6 months... Real Estate... only 3.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22
Pick your poison.

Dodge is cheap.
Chevy got bling
Ford runs missing parts.
Toyota runs longer before parts fall oof.
Posted By: RodWaters Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22
LOL
Shrap vs. Cash; the clash of the bulbous egos.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22
Originally Posted by RodWaters
LOL
Shrap vs. Cash; the clash of the bulbous egos.

And what generation sockpuppet art thou?
Posted By: Dogpopper Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22

Bring back the square body

Amen!!
Posted By: sako4me Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22
My 21 GMC at4 has been superb at 24k. I’m getting well over 30mpg with the little Duramax consistently. I get 750 or more miles of range on a 25 gallon tank.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22
Thanks
Find a nice late model Tundra with the V8. The new ones have an over complicated V6 twin turbo....They have already had problems with them. No way they will last as long as the V8. Seriously, I'd rather have a nice used Tundra, that has a good maintenance record, than a new Silverado. A buddy of mine had one and it stayed in the dealership as much as his garage. (exaggeration :^) ).
Posted By: dpd Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22

^^^ THIS !!!!
Posted By: reivertom Re: Silverado vs Tundra - 08/07/22
Originally Posted by dpd

^^^ THIS !!!!
That will be running when the same model GM products are in the crusher....I like that kind of ugly.
© 24hourcampfire