Home
I open this KSL page up most days

Bad news for the riders on MC's

3-4 a week it seems

Drive safe bike riders where ever you are

https://www.ksl.com/article/50448486/motorcyclist-killed-in-crash-in-logan-canyon

https://www.ksl.com/article/5044826...rash-was-evading-traffic-stop-police-say

https://www.ksl.com/article/5044547...llision-with-tesla-on-autopilot-uhp-says

https://www.ksl.com/article/50368547/motorcyclist-dies-after-colliding-with-scooter-in-southern-utah

https://www.ksl.com/article/50425908/motorcyclist-dies-after-crash-on-i-80-in-tooele-county

https://www.ksl.com/article/50425409/motorcyclist-killed-in-salt-lake-city-crash
It goes both ways.

Some car drivers are frigging idiots and don't pay attention. I've also had motorcyclist pass me doing about a 100 weaving in and out of traffic.
Good news for those waiting for organ donors.
If yo drive a motorcycle on the road then pretend you are invisible.
Originally Posted by Tesoro

...instead of invincible.
A few days ago five bikers were killed in and around Knoxville in roughly a 3 day period. I’ll never ride a motorcycle again on a public road.
I read that the one in Logan Canyon was the motorcycle only. It seems we have a couple a year where riders fail to make a curve.
Daughter lost her boyfriend last October. He hit a turkey vulture. Pretty sad deal. I still ride but feel like my luck is running out. Be careful out there.
WhenI ride it is with the full understanding that "THEY" are out to kill me, and I have to ride in such a way as to prevent that from happening. I have over 100k miles on my HD and no accidents. klatch
I still ride but and i think its pretty face, Speed is what kills people most times,
Car drivers don't well here a diesel dummy made a left turn in front of two ladies and they are on life voice
Life flights
My next door neighbor got hit by a car last Wednesday. His right leg below the knee was amputated. He is still in the hospital dealing with other injuries. Needless to say my own motorcycle hasn’t been out in the last few weeks. They are soooo fun to ride buts it’s a risk every time you’re taking.

Tikka this happened in west valley. So another Utah incident.
I think many of them were just trying to avoid pit bulls
I’m 66, and still ride. I only go out on Sunday morning for breakfast, and run backcountry roads. Between the Cutips, and kids texting, it ain’t safe anymore.
Started riding at 5. Sold my bike 2 years ago at 50 after a teenage girl tried to kill me. Pushed my luck long enough.
I'm 73 and am not sure if I'll just wear out what I have or buy another one. My eye was caught by a H-D XR1200 that I would like to ride. Not too much power but a little uncivilized. I rode my son's ZX 14 and while I really liked it for the scary power, I disliked it for the same reason and for the uncomfortable seating position. He has decided to replace it with something a little less demanding.
When we ride, I have to remind my wife not to hobble when we stop and get off. I exercise just to be able to swing my leg over the seat on the first try. She used to ride her own bike but now we just ride two-up. We put on thousands of miles on two bikes hauling two kids and a dog. Now, the kids are middle aged, the dog is long gone, but we still like to ride. GD
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
My next door neighbor got hit by a car last Wednesday. His right leg below the knee was amputated. He is still in the hospital dealing with other injuries. Needless to say my own motorcycle hasn’t been out in the last few weeks. They are soooo fun to ride buts it’s a risk every time you’re taking.

You've seen 'em..........

Cruising I 15.....90 mph....no helmet...what could go wrong ?

Just last week....avoiding Hwy 6 across Soldier Summit to Spanish Fork

Usually take Hwy 31..to 89 @ Fairview.....the slower/safer way in the summer

Indianaolia...ran into a swarm of mormon crickets...maybe...jezz sounded like hail on the WS

Passed a MC rider headed south into them...no goggles or helmet.......):
Never had a big street bike

Years ago.....early 80's here in Utah...bought a new XR 250 Honda

How I never ended up with broken legs......pins & screws....never know...40 yrs younger then

Street riders......be careful !!!
Originally Posted by klatchy
WhenI ride it is with the full understanding that "THEY" are out to kill me, and I have to ride in such a way as to prevent that from happening. I have over 100k miles on my HD and no accidents. klatch

I rode that way for 45 years. Then someone ran a red light and hit me from behind right after I made a left hand turn.
Some things you can't protect against.
Like the others have already posted ^ ^ ^

You have to ride for yourself and everybody else
on the road.
That, and dress to crash

I didn't sell the last one out of fear.
After that last surgery the strength went out of my
right leg. Can't hold up a half a ton of hot motorcycle.
No thank you. Hopefully, things will improve some
day and I'll get something else
Adding a few million illegal aliens and Bidets imported middle east crew to the highways cause MC deaths to rise.
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

Ol lady was a er nurse for 20 years, she calls em organ donors too. Gotten really bad with the texting and driving, buddy at work lost 3 outta his club last year, all rear ended at stop lights, all texting and driving
Don't see as many half nekkid riders
around here as there used to be.
Shorts. No shirt. Flip flops. No
eye protection. No gloves.
I guess they got culled out

Those are the ones that we used to
call organ donors. They usually
don't make it
A motorcycle on the road in Utah is a death wish. People drive like complete idiots down there. 10 over and texting while drinking your Star Bucks seems to be the MO on I-15.
Ride a little faster than the traffic whenever you can. Check behind you when coming to a stop. Stop off to the side and always, have an escape route in mind. Try to make eye contact with oncoming drivers at intersections. Cover your controls in traffic. If you are ready and good, you can stop faster than most anyone else but you have to be aware of what's behind you for this reason. If you want to ride fast and push the limits, don't do it in traffic. Everyone who rides on the street would benefit from some time on a dirt bike, pushing the limits and finding out what his limits are. If you can recover from a slide in gravel, you might be better equipped to deal with it on pavement. Highways are more crowded than ever and that is the real problem. GD
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

April-June is the spike in transplants.
I would not get onto a Utah highway on a motorcycle for all the tea in China, especially I-15. I have to drive that route twice a year, from North of Ogden on South along all 125 miles of the Wasatch Front urban sprawl all the way to the Utah state line. I am of the opinion that all Utah drivers are certain they are going to heaven because they drive with no fear of death.
About 6,500 people die every day in this country.
Motor vehicle crashes, medical issues, industrial accidents,murder, or old age it doesn't matter. None of us are getting out of here alive!
About the same here - I've been on motorcycles since 1968, and have logged well over 250K miles w/o an accident, crash or laydown.. So far this year, I've only been on it three times where I have NOT had deer near the road or crossing in front of me..

But when I'm on that bike, I pay attention!!
Hate to say it, but I have a hard time having any sympathy for MC riders around here. Every time I'm on the highway a couple of them blow by me going way over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and basically daring someone to kill them- which happens on a regular basis. An article in the news a few years around here was about a couple bike riders getting stopped by cops - one on the I205 Oregon/Washington bridge crossing doing 156 mph and another on I84 going east near The Dalles going 186 or something like that...

I've known a few paramedics and firemen and they all refer to bike riders as organ donors....
An undertaker that I know called them funeral ponies.

I guess they are meant to ride to your grave.
I was raised with motorcycles , my brother still rides to this day , not me , not taking a chance on one , one of the worst sights I’ve every seen was a lady in front of me hit two boys broadside as they pulled out in front of her. This was about 1987.. I can still see and hear it ..
I got my first Bike when I was 14.A Triumph T110 hard tail.Sold my last bike two years ago at 76 years old.In that time I owned over 20 Bikes.I was in two bad accidents that I walked away from and the Bikes were destroyed.The only reason I walked away was because of wearing full armoured pants,Jackets ,boots and a full helmet.I did some flat track racing and that is where I learned to suit up.Road Rash sucks.I never gave a chit what people said about what I wore and any one who does not armour up on a bike is a dumb f u c k like I was until I started racing.My Dad,Uncles ,Brother,Mother all were Bikers and none of them got seriously hurt on a Bike.My Old Man and Uncle were into hill climbing and took a few dumps but were full leathered and wore leather aviators hats to help protect their noggins.I will never get another road bike,but have been looking at small off road bikes.I still get the itch at 78 years old.
Ride like everyone and everything is trying to kill you and the game is to make them MISS. And wear armor, because you WILL hit the dirt or the pavement, period.

I've noticed that good motorcycle riders tend to be excellent drivers. Situational awareness, period.

As for Utah drivers, I agree there's something special, at least when it comes to the Salt Lake region. On a per mile basis of exposure, never have I been more terrified and/or enraged by locals with Utah plates. It is stunning to me.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Ride like everyone and everything is trying to kill you and the game is to make them MISS. And wear armor, because you WILL hit the dirt or the pavement, period.

I've noticed that good motorcycle riders tend to be excellent drivers. Situational awareness, period.

As for Utah drivers, I agree there's something special, at least when it comes to the Salt Lake region. On a per mile basis of exposure, never have I been more terrified and/or enraged by locals with Utah plates. It is stunning to me.

I'm not one of those drivers you refer to.......

Scares the BeJesus outta me to drive up there

I was asked recently.......

'Ever been to the Land Cruiser Museum' in Salt Lake ?

Said no.......you gotta go to SLC to see it.......

Podunk where I live...'Is more cows & horses than people'

If ya wanna see Toyota history in Utah...'This is the Place'

https://landcruiserhm.com/
I see many riders doing their best to try to kill themselves, including a trio of HD's, (it usually is) this afternoon who used the right turn lane to pass a vehicle turning left and roared off in a 40MPH village zone.

So much aggression for a group with so little protection.
If I have to wear armor to ride a bike, I ain’t riding a bike.

P
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I see many riders doing their best to try to kill themselves, including a trio of HD's, (it usually is) this afternoon who used the right turn lane to pass a vehicle turning left and roared off in a 40MPH village zone.

these HD dudes didn't fair well with the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch dudes

too funny

Hollywierd

Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by bruinruin

these HD dudes didn't fair well with the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch dudes

too funny

Hollywierd

I know it's just a TV show, buy that was beautiful. I despise the whole Harley badass demeanor.
Years ago when I was a nurse we called them donor cycles. A lot of good donor organs come from donor cycle wrecks.

Bb

I was invited by an Uncle to go to Loa (central Utah) and help get his mother in law set up for the winter and then back for the summer several times growing up in SLC that country was absolutely gorgeous we would park in the local Fish Hatchery and everyone that worked there knew my Uncle and we would walk threw the hatchery climb up and over a wooden latter built over a barbed wire fence and go fishing when we were done we would climb back over that fence and walk right threw the Hatchery with our catch for the day. Then other days he would take me to Bicknel Bottoms( I do not know if the spelling is correct for the spelling Nazi's) and he would catch some big Brown Trout from that place. The Cheese factor was GREAT as well.
Utah has some GREAT paces in it and they also have some very screwed up places.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Years ago when I was a nurse we called them donor cycles. A lot of good donor organs come from donor cycle wrecks.

Bb

seems to be the norm

'Organ donors'

But for all the good 24HR riders

Ride safe.........

Stay of I 15 & HWY 6 in Utah !
I used to have road bikes for a while there and used to think I was good enough to avoid a bad situation, and, along with luck, I never had a serious accident. As I got older I wised up and realised that you can't rely on skills alone and need to also rely on others and some luck, and denial of any circumstances that would be beyond your ability and control.

There are things worse that death that are avoidable, so I stopped riding.
I lost my nerve for street bikes in 1979. I never saw the sense in being dead right.
Originally Posted by fester
Daughter lost her boyfriend last October. He hit a turkey vulture. Pretty sad deal. I still ride but feel like my luck is running out. Be careful out there.

Now that's rotten luck
Started riding when I was 10 years old got a road bike before I had a car when I was 16 both my brothers also had bikes my brother got killed in 1990....I had several close calls when and quit riding last year after having a stroke....I miss riding.....
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

No bike crash here......

I 70 major pile up yesterday east of here..MP 120 near Eagle Canyon

Haven't heard what happened

https://www.ksl.com/article/50449202/multivehicle-pileup-closes-eastbound-i-70-in-emery-county
Have owned motorcycles since I was a teenager. Started on a Honda 350 SL, then went off road to a 360 Bultaco and bought a HD 1000 Iron Head Sportster for on road riding in early 1970s. Bought a new Kawasaki 900 in 1974, what an engine, suspension sucked and was incapable of taking advantage of the bikes power in a safe manner.

Bought a new 1995 Ducati 900 SS (Supersport) and rode it for the next 20 years. In the midst of the timeline I saw so many distracted drivers in the new cell phone era. Young women are the worst. Had to take evasive actions a few times after being run off the road by distracted drivers making lane changes without looking. Still have the Ducati, gonna be 68 YO in a couple months, haven’t ridden the Ducati for 6 years now, but still like looking at it, it is a true work of art.

On another note there are bikers I call “lost boys” who are terribly careless in their use of a motorcycle. They carry too much speed. Carrying too much speed on any bike, especially ones that have prodigious weight are impossible to stop in a real pinch. One rule of thumb I have always used is to control your environment. Your chances of enjoying a motorcycle ride at 6:00 am on a Sunday morning on some back highway is much more safe and less stressful than riding anywhere in the middle of city traffic, especially rush hour. You can’t begin to control the environment with hundreds of drivers about. You are so disadvantaged in this scenario.

With today’s distracted drivers I would never contemplate using my motorcycle as a general transportation vehicle. Your chances of being hurt or killed go up significantly, especially with careless cell phone users at rush hour. However you can be driving an isolated highway with exorbitant speed and hit any little thing and never recover. In the case of motorcycles, speed will kill you. Some new sport bikes carry 180 hp. That is bizarre and unnecessary for any street biking use.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
If I have to wear armor to ride a bike, I ain’t riding a bike.
P
Well, in a car or truck, you have seat belts and air-bags... Basic 'armor'... Soooo, don't be drivin' no car/truck either.. laugh laugh

Originally Posted by greydog
Ride a little faster than the traffic whenever you can. Check behind you when coming to a stop. Stop off to the side and always, have an escape route in mind. Try to make eye contact with oncoming drivers at intersections. Cover your controls in traffic. If you are ready and good, you can stop faster than most anyone else but you have to be aware of what's behind you for this reason. If you want to ride fast and push the limits, don't do it in traffic. Everyone who rides on the street would benefit from some time on a dirt bike, pushing the limits and finding out what his limits are. If you can recover from a slide in gravel, you might be better equipped to deal with it on pavement. Highways are more crowded than ever and that is the real problem. GD
Good post - and I do exactly what you detailed above.. And yes, I did about three years on a dirt bike and did a bunch of hill-climbing.. That experience was worth it's weight in gold..

Only thing I'd add is this (well, MY rule) = the closer dense vegetation is to the roadway, the slower you should be goin'. 70-80 OK on a lightly traveled freeway, but narrower, back-country roads like we got around here - plus the plethora of deer - it's best to be under 50, depending.. FWIW.
In my early to mid 20's, I rode a Suzuki back and forth to work. I enjoyed the adrenaline rush, same reason I was the most gung-ho guy in my fire company. I had to be the first one to pack up and charge into a burning building. Loved the rush it gave me. The thrill was something I craved.

Now at 65, and thinking about my dad passing at 68, I'm grateful for every day God grants me. I have kept my motorcycle license current all this time, but the desire has faded.

Good old Cruiser Dan. Is he still there at the Cruiser museum?
Originally Posted by Tarbe

Good old Cruiser Dan. Is he still there at the Cruiser museum?

never knew Cruiser Dan
And so........

they're still piling 'em up

https://www.ksl.com/article/5045153...-injured-in-3-separate-salt-lake-crashes
Originally Posted by fester

I had once bounce off of my shoulder at about 45 MPH. Glancing blow. Stank to high fugk.

Agree with all but the eye contact thing. Drivers will look right at you and never see you. Focus on the big picture, the escape route, and indication of turning in front of you (slowing, wheels turning, turn signal)
Yes, Paul, there's strategy going on all the time on two wheels. I do it on four as well and it's saved my @## more than once. In Utah, actually, my first trip ever coming down the freeway into Salt Lake. Guy had a trailer with too little tongue weight and he used all FIVE lanes to not roll. Craziest, most sinous skid marks I ever saw. But I spotted his load wandering and went defensive, all I did was move over quickly to the clearest lane and then get out of the throttle and coast down so I had time to watch the show.

I'll also endorse "overtaking" when safe to do so. It is way better to be reeling in hazards and clearing them than to have them sneak up behind you. I was also doing that at Salt Lake. Only exception is probably intersections. Sometimes I will place myself to use something much bigger as a shield. If an opposing left lane looks busy, I'll sneak into the rear quarter of whoever might be on my left so there's no way a left turner can hit me. Just for a second, never linger in the blind spot....nobody's gonna see you anyway, but it can be useful. Eye contact is not.

But it's all defensive. All the time.
Started on a small cycle at age 14 and quickly grew to love the freedom and oncoming air. Obvious risk was outweighed by the rush. Eventually had some very fast bikes then and pushed them hard. Simple solo enjoyment.

Later, when married and my wife told me "we are going to have a baby", immediately sold my bike (48 Indian Chief with all of the trimmings) and did not own one again until the girls were grown and on their own. Started again - same great feeling, and better knew how to maintain one and ride more sensibly.

Last big ride was in 2014 - three former students from the late 60s invited me to join in a week-long ride through the entire SW. Flew to LV to meet them, rented a nice one, and away we went. Total blast of enjoyment.

Other factors intervened - no riding since that. Still would if things were just right, and may. The world looks very different from a bike.
For the young studs out there

Utah's 5 Miles from Hell trail

Local to me........have never rode it

Probably wasn't even a developed trail in the 80's when I rode Honda XR's

This may be easier to watch

I grew up riding scooters, dirtbikes, and streetbikes. Sold my last one about 20 years ago. I had a young family to think about. Absolutely zero regrets.

Working in the hospital, saw too much bad $hit during the rally. If it can happen on a motorcycle, I have probably seen it.

Four very conservative local riders that I knew with lots of experience had some bad wrecks. Two mortalities, one with series of surgeries to be put back together, and the other about killed his wife.

Having lived out here for over 30 years have seen too much senseless, nonsense during the rally. From good people losing and ruining their lives to the crazy and unsafe riding.

Just this morning going to work in Sturgis had two bikes stop in the middle of the road to make a left turn. Had to roll down the window and tell them their was a turning lane. Glad I was paying attention and got the truck stopped.

This time of year my head is on a swivel looking out for the motorcycles. They are everywhere, going every which way. Insane!

Official rally statistics do not start until Friday, But I believe there has already been one fatality, and some serious wrecks.

The thing that boggles my mind is how some riders have not quite figured out that exhausts pipes are HOT! See it every year. crazy
The eye contact thing is a way of being aware of what the other car is doing. If it makes you feel better to concentrate on the front bumper or the front tire, that's your choice. In fifty years of riding, city and country, summer and winter, pavement and gravel, a lot of it too fast, I've mostly stayed upright, avoided being hit, and, except for MX incidents, avoided injury. Now in my seventies, I'm a little more cautious because I am aware of my personal limitations (rickety body. slower reflexes). I have also seen the incredible increase in the volume of traffic and this is the biggest concern to anyone on the road.
I've had some experiences which, if not for pure, dumb luck, could have ended badly. One time, I was traveling from Spokane to Calgary and making pretty good time on my naked Gold Wing. I was running at about 100mph, reeling in the cars and just cruising by. I was going so much faster than the traffic that I was paying little attention to my mirrors. As I approached another car and got ready to pass, I did glance into the mirror in time to see two guys on GPz 1100's travelling at least thirty mph faster than I was. That was a lesson I never forgot and was glad to have learned it; always be aware of what's happening around you, not just in front.
The only time I went down on the street happened in a construction zone where a short section of street was being repaved. They had oiled the road just as a big thunderstorm hit so the road surface was fresh oil with a layer of water on top. This surface is just about tractionless but I was in traffic and had no option. There were no signs and no real warning so I had no choice but to continue forward. Any attempt to do anything other than ride straight ahead would have ended in a fall anyway so ride ahead I did. It was going well and I was almost through when the old couple in the Explorer ahead of me, decided to slow way down to negotiate the little bump at the end. I had no choice but to try and avoid the rear end of said Explorer and as soon as I twitched, down I went. Ruined my jacket, scuffed my helmet on the curb, bruised my elbow. Minor damage to the bike. The explorer drove off, oblivious. The guy behind me, in a car, got past me without running over me. The lesson there? Stuff happens. There was nothing I could have done differently. Weather and city workers set me up and the tentative driver in the explorer knocked me down. Heavy traffic took my options away. If I had been aware of the oil earlier, I might have been able to detour. So, look further ahead might be the only lesson here.
I spent years commuting on a motorcycle and the whole family spent time touring. My father rode, my brothers ride, my son rides. I've witnessed one fatality of a rider while I was riding. He did something stupid and it bit him.
One thing I see a lot of in recent years is the large group of bikes riding in formation, slightly below the speed limit, with the lineup of traffic behind them. These guys are a rolling road hazard and poor representatives of motorcyclists. GD
Looks like it was 4:2 stupid motorcyclist to stupid cars. I had to open each link. Not so much to get the numbers; but to check and see if my former boss was one of the organ donors. He’s a solid cork sucker and would do stupid schitt on a bike all the time then brag about it in the office.
I havent ridden bikes on the road for 40 years but every year I get the bug real bad. And then I squash it after I think about how many people are driving on prescribed brain drugs, high on marijuana and/or driving with cell phones in their hands. This alone pretty much quintuples the chance of accidents since my days in the 80's.
Never had a big street bike

Years ago.....early 80's here in Utah...bought a new XR 250 Honda

How I never ended up with broken legs......pins & screws....never know...40 yrs younger then

Street riders......be careful !!!

Rode a Yamaha XL650 on the road back in 81/82, after growing up on MX bikes in the mountains & fields.

The difference that I found was that trees NEVER pulled out in front of or swerved into my lane in those early days of riding.

Stupid post, you want the drivers to know you are there. An exhaust that is loud enough to hear yet not annoying is a big plus. You have to ride outside of the blind zone, with plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you and you can use speed to stay in the safe zone, expect all drivers to be idiots. Some of them might be spandex wearing bicyclists hiding their angst against motorized bikes while driving cars.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Stupid post, you want the drivers to know you are there. An exhaust that is loud enough to hear yet not annoying is a big plus. You have to ride outside of the blind zone, with plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you and you can use speed to stay in the safe zone, expect all drivers to be idiots. Some of them might be spandex wearing bicyclists hiding their angst against motorized bikes while driving cars.

If you need exhaust noise to keep you safe, you are doing it wrong. I suspect many people won't be able to hear an exhaust above all the other noise in their car, unless it's a really loud exhaust. Bear in mind that exhaust noise is somewhat directional, so an moderately noise bike may not be audible until you enter the danger zone. When they hear an exhaust, they won't be able to process where it's coming from. The kind of people that don't carefully look before changing lanes, won't let the presence of an exhaust note stand in the way of their carelessness. You are most assuredly wise to move purposefully through danger zones and to have an escape plan in place when you do.
Exhaust noise does not mean crap during the rally. It is constant noise, and one is usually surrounded.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by rickt300

If you need exhaust noise to keep you safe, you are doing it wrong. I suspect many people won't be able to hear an exhaust above all the other noise in their car, unless it's a really loud exhaust. Bear in mind that exhaust noise is somewhat directional, so an moderately noise bike may not be audible until you enter the danger zone. When they hear an exhaust, they won't be able to process where it's coming from. The kind of people that don't carefully look before changing lanes, won't let the presence of an exhaust note stand in the way of their carelessness. You are most assuredly wise to move purposefully through danger zones and to have an escape plan in place when you do.

A good exhaust note is always a plus, lets people know approximately where you are and that noise is exactly what I want heard when I enter the "danger zone".
Lots of comments here from non-biker experts
Just realise that you are incredibly vunerable on a motorbike, or bicycle, people are ignorant, inattentive, and just seem to be getting worse!

Some good advice for motorcycling came to a fellow rider from an old motorcycle cop. Go a bit faster and keep away from the traffic. Good advice for the open road but not so good in town. We are fortunate we can lane split legally here. Still seems to upset some motorists.

Cagers don't seem to look around themselves much anymore. Combine that with sometimes unexpected poor road conditions and you have to be aware. In the USA you have deer etc that run out, here it's Kangaroos and pigs mainly.

Ride safe and ATGATT!
The eye contact thing is a way of being aware of what the other car is doing. If it makes you feel better to concentrate on the front bumper or the front tire, that's your choice. In fifty years of riding, city and country, summer and winter, pavement and gravel, a lot of it too fast, I've mostly stayed upright, avoided being hit, and, except for MX incidents, avoided injury. Now in my seventies, I'm a little more cautious because I am aware of my personal limitations (rickety body. slower reflexes). I have also seen the incredible increase in the volume of traffic and this is the biggest concern to anyone on the road.
I've had some experiences which, if not for pure, dumb luck, could have ended badly. One time, I was traveling from Spokane to Calgary and making pretty good time on my naked Gold Wing. I was running at about 100mph, reeling in the cars and just cruising by. I was going so much faster than the traffic that I was paying little attention to my mirrors. As I approached another car and got ready to pass, I did glance into the mirror in time to see two guys on GPz 1100's travelling at least thirty mph faster than I was. That was a lesson I never forgot and was glad to have learned it; always be aware of what's happening around you, not just in front.
The only time I went down on the street happened in a construction zone where a short section of street was being repaved. They had oiled the road just as a big thunderstorm hit so the road surface was fresh oil with a layer of water on top. This surface is just about tractionless but I was in traffic and had no option. There were no signs and no real warning so I had no choice but to continue forward. Any attempt to do anything other than ride straight ahead would have ended in a fall anyway so ride ahead I did. It was going well and I was almost through when the old couple in the Explorer ahead of me, decided to slow way down to negotiate the little bump at the end. I had no choice but to try and avoid the rear end of said Explorer and as soon as I twitched, down I went. Ruined my jacket, scuffed my helmet on the curb, bruised my elbow. Minor damage to the bike. The explorer drove off, oblivious. The guy behind me, in a car, got past me without running over me. The lesson there? Stuff happens. There was nothing I could have done differently. Weather and city workers set me up and the tentative driver in the explorer knocked me down. Heavy traffic took my options away. If I had been aware of the oil earlier, I might have been able to detour. So, look further ahead might be the only lesson here.
I spent years commuting on a motorcycle and the whole family spent time touring. My father rode, my brothers ride, my son rides. I've witnessed one fatality of a rider while I was riding. He did something stupid and it bit him.
One thing I see a lot of in recent years is the large group of bikes riding in formation, slightly below the speed limit, with the lineup of traffic behind them. These guys are a rolling road hazard and poor representatives of motorcyclists. GD

That last comment could cover the bicyclers also.
Just noticed this posted on KSL today

MC rider killed was a 22 year veteran Firefighter/Paramedic for SLC...recently retired

Now that really sucks........

All though years saving lives.......RIP

https://www.ksl.com/article/5045239...e-crash-was-recently-retired-firefighter
© 24hourcampfire