Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Years ago when I was a nurse we called them donor cycles. A lot of good donor organs come from donor cycle wrecks.

Bb

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Ride like everyone and everything is trying to kill you and the game is to make them MISS. And wear armor, because you WILL hit the dirt or the pavement, period.

I've noticed that good motorcycle riders tend to be excellent drivers. Situational awareness, period.

As for Utah drivers, I agree there's something special, at least when it comes to the Salt Lake region. On a per mile basis of exposure, never have I been more terrified and/or enraged by locals with Utah plates. It is stunning to me.

I'm not one of those drivers you refer to.......

Scares the BeJesus outta me to drive up there

I was asked recently.......

'Ever been to the Land Cruiser Museum' in Salt Lake ?

Said no.......you gotta go to SLC to see it.......

Podunk where I live...'Is more cows & horses than people'

If ya wanna see Toyota history in Utah...'This is the Place'

https://landcruiserhm.com/

I was invited by an Uncle to go to Loa (central Utah) and help get his mother in law set up for the winter and then back for the summer several times growing up in SLC that country was absolutely gorgeous we would park in the local Fish Hatchery and everyone that worked there knew my Uncle and we would walk threw the hatchery climb up and over a wooden latter built over a barbed wire fence and go fishing when we were done we would climb back over that fence and walk right threw the Hatchery with our catch for the day. Then other days he would take me to Bicknel Bottoms( I do not know if the spelling is correct for the spelling Nazi's) and he would catch some big Brown Trout from that place. The Cheese factor was GREAT as well.
Utah has some GREAT paces in it and they also have some very screwed up places.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Years ago when I was a nurse we called them donor cycles. A lot of good donor organs come from donor cycle wrecks.

Bb

seems to be the norm

'Organ donors'

But for all the good 24HR riders

Ride safe.........

Stay of I 15 & HWY 6 in Utah !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used to have road bikes for a while there and used to think I was good enough to avoid a bad situation, and, along with luck, I never had a serious accident. As I got older I wised up and realised that you can't rely on skills alone and need to also rely on others and some luck, and denial of any circumstances that would be beyond your ability and control.

There are things worse that death that are avoidable, so I stopped riding.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I lost my nerve for street bikes in 1979. I never saw the sense in being dead right.

Last edited by smarquez; 07/29/22.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by fester
Daughter lost her boyfriend last October. He hit a turkey vulture. Pretty sad deal. I still ride but feel like my luck is running out. Be careful out there.

Now that's rotten luck

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Started riding when I was 10 years old got a road bike before I had a car when I was 16 both my brothers also had bikes my brother got killed in 1990....I had several close calls when and quit riding last year after having a stroke....I miss riding.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
My next door neighbor got hit by a car last Wednesday. His right leg below the knee was amputated. He is still in the hospital dealing with other injuries. Needless to say my own motorcycle hasn’t been out in the last few weeks. They are soooo fun to ride buts it’s a risk every time you’re taking.

Tikka this happened in west valley. So another Utah incident.

No bike crash here......

I 70 major pile up yesterday east of here..MP 120 near Eagle Canyon

Haven't heard what happened

https://www.ksl.com/article/50449202/multivehicle-pileup-closes-eastbound-i-70-in-emery-county

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have owned motorcycles since I was a teenager. Started on a Honda 350 SL, then went off road to a 360 Bultaco and bought a HD 1000 Iron Head Sportster for on road riding in early 1970s. Bought a new Kawasaki 900 in 1974, what an engine, suspension sucked and was incapable of taking advantage of the bikes power in a safe manner.

Bought a new 1995 Ducati 900 SS (Supersport) and rode it for the next 20 years. In the midst of the timeline I saw so many distracted drivers in the new cell phone era. Young women are the worst. Had to take evasive actions a few times after being run off the road by distracted drivers making lane changes without looking. Still have the Ducati, gonna be 68 YO in a couple months, haven’t ridden the Ducati for 6 years now, but still like looking at it, it is a true work of art.

On another note there are bikers I call “lost boys” who are terribly careless in their use of a motorcycle. They carry too much speed. Carrying too much speed on any bike, especially ones that have prodigious weight are impossible to stop in a real pinch. One rule of thumb I have always used is to control your environment. Your chances of enjoying a motorcycle ride at 6:00 am on a Sunday morning on some back highway is much more safe and less stressful than riding anywhere in the middle of city traffic, especially rush hour. You can’t begin to control the environment with hundreds of drivers about. You are so disadvantaged in this scenario.

With today’s distracted drivers I would never contemplate using my motorcycle as a general transportation vehicle. Your chances of being hurt or killed go up significantly, especially with careless cell phone users at rush hour. However you can be driving an isolated highway with exorbitant speed and hit any little thing and never recover. In the case of motorcycles, speed will kill you. Some new sport bikes carry 180 hp. That is bizarre and unnecessary for any street biking use.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
If I have to wear armor to ride a bike, I ain’t riding a bike.
P
Well, in a car or truck, you have seat belts and air-bags... Basic 'armor'... Soooo, don't be drivin' no car/truck either.. laugh laugh

Originally Posted by greydog
Ride a little faster than the traffic whenever you can. Check behind you when coming to a stop. Stop off to the side and always, have an escape route in mind. Try to make eye contact with oncoming drivers at intersections. Cover your controls in traffic. If you are ready and good, you can stop faster than most anyone else but you have to be aware of what's behind you for this reason. If you want to ride fast and push the limits, don't do it in traffic. Everyone who rides on the street would benefit from some time on a dirt bike, pushing the limits and finding out what his limits are. If you can recover from a slide in gravel, you might be better equipped to deal with it on pavement. Highways are more crowded than ever and that is the real problem. GD
Good post - and I do exactly what you detailed above.. And yes, I did about three years on a dirt bike and did a bunch of hill-climbing.. That experience was worth it's weight in gold..

Only thing I'd add is this (well, MY rule) = the closer dense vegetation is to the roadway, the slower you should be goin'. 70-80 OK on a lightly traveled freeway, but narrower, back-country roads like we got around here - plus the plethora of deer - it's best to be under 50, depending.. FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In my early to mid 20's, I rode a Suzuki back and forth to work. I enjoyed the adrenaline rush, same reason I was the most gung-ho guy in my fire company. I had to be the first one to pack up and charge into a burning building. Loved the rush it gave me. The thrill was something I craved.

Now at 65, and thinking about my dad passing at 68, I'm grateful for every day God grants me. I have kept my motorcycle license current all this time, but the desire has faded.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ride like everyone and everything is trying to kill you and the game is to make them MISS. And wear armor, because you WILL hit the dirt or the pavement, period.

I've noticed that good motorcycle riders tend to be excellent drivers. Situational awareness, period.

As for Utah drivers, I agree there's something special, at least when it comes to the Salt Lake region. On a per mile basis of exposure, never have I been more terrified and/or enraged by locals with Utah plates. It is stunning to me.

Good old Cruiser Dan. Is he still there at the Cruiser museum?

Last edited by Tarbe; 07/30/22.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Tarbe

Good old Cruiser Dan. Is he still there at the Cruiser museum?

never knew Cruiser Dan

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fester
Daughter lost her boyfriend last October. He hit a turkey vulture. Pretty sad deal. I still ride but feel like my luck is running out. Be careful out there.

I had once bounce off of my shoulder at about 45 MPH. Glancing blow. Stank to high fugk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
Ride a little faster than the traffic whenever you can. Check behind you when coming to a stop. Stop off to the side and always, have an escape route in mind. Try to make eye contact with oncoming drivers at intersections. Cover your controls in traffic. If you are ready and good, you can stop faster than most anyone else but you have to be aware of what's behind you for this reason. If you want to ride fast and push the limits, don't do it in traffic. Everyone who rides on the street would benefit from some time on a dirt bike, pushing the limits and finding out what his limits are. If you can recover from a slide in gravel, you might be better equipped to deal with it on pavement. Highways are more crowded than ever and that is the real problem. GD

Agree with all but the eye contact thing. Drivers will look right at you and never see you. Focus on the big picture, the escape route, and indication of turning in front of you (slowing, wheels turning, turn signal)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Paul, there's strategy going on all the time on two wheels. I do it on four as well and it's saved my @## more than once. In Utah, actually, my first trip ever coming down the freeway into Salt Lake. Guy had a trailer with too little tongue weight and he used all FIVE lanes to not roll. Craziest, most sinous skid marks I ever saw. But I spotted his load wandering and went defensive, all I did was move over quickly to the clearest lane and then get out of the throttle and coast down so I had time to watch the show.

I'll also endorse "overtaking" when safe to do so. It is way better to be reeling in hazards and clearing them than to have them sneak up behind you. I was also doing that at Salt Lake. Only exception is probably intersections. Sometimes I will place myself to use something much bigger as a shield. If an opposing left lane looks busy, I'll sneak into the rear quarter of whoever might be on my left so there's no way a left turner can hit me. Just for a second, never linger in the blind spot....nobody's gonna see you anyway, but it can be useful. Eye contact is not.

But it's all defensive. All the time.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Started on a small cycle at age 14 and quickly grew to love the freedom and oncoming air. Obvious risk was outweighed by the rush. Eventually had some very fast bikes then and pushed them hard. Simple solo enjoyment.

Later, when married and my wife told me "we are going to have a baby", immediately sold my bike (48 Indian Chief with all of the trimmings) and did not own one again until the girls were grown and on their own. Started again - same great feeling, and better knew how to maintain one and ride more sensibly.

Last big ride was in 2014 - three former students from the late 60s invited me to join in a week-long ride through the entire SW. Flew to LV to meet them, rented a nice one, and away we went. Total blast of enjoyment.

Other factors intervened - no riding since that. Still would if things were just right, and may. The world looks very different from a bike.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
For the young studs out there

Utah's 5 Miles from Hell trail

Local to me........have never rode it

Probably wasn't even a developed trail in the 80's when I rode Honda XR's

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This may be easier to watch

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.