Yes, Paul, there's strategy going on all the time on two wheels. I do it on four as well and it's saved my @## more than once. In Utah, actually, my first trip ever coming down the freeway into Salt Lake. Guy had a trailer with too little tongue weight and he used all FIVE lanes to not roll. Craziest, most sinous skid marks I ever saw. But I spotted his load wandering and went defensive, all I did was move over quickly to the clearest lane and then get out of the throttle and coast down so I had time to watch the show.

I'll also endorse "overtaking" when safe to do so. It is way better to be reeling in hazards and clearing them than to have them sneak up behind you. I was also doing that at Salt Lake. Only exception is probably intersections. Sometimes I will place myself to use something much bigger as a shield. If an opposing left lane looks busy, I'll sneak into the rear quarter of whoever might be on my left so there's no way a left turner can hit me. Just for a second, never linger in the blind spot....nobody's gonna see you anyway, but it can be useful. Eye contact is not.

But it's all defensive. All the time.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.