Home
Posted By: Raspy Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Spend approx 10 minutes to view the video...this is extremely interesting...

Transitioning
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I'm scared to watch it......
Posted By: Raspy Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
It is not scary....it is amazing from my point of view....
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
There’s worse things, you could be one of Big Stick’s guns…
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
With a skull and crossbones painted on your forehead.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
The pain associated would worry me more than my actual death. If I suffered or if it was "quick".
Posted By: JeffA Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
No fear, never entertained the term.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Not afraid at all. As a matter of fact, I look forward to it when my time comes. I’d like to see my many grandkids graduate high school, but if God calls me sooner I’m ready.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Have not reached the point of where it is worrisome.
Have been in close calls.
But ya blow it off.
But the fear will get ya pumping.

I think mentally for alot of the elderly and sick it is a really bad thing to have on your mind.

😔😔😔
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Sorta? if'n I was bein' honest.
Posted By: hanco Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
No. I’m ready
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Nope. It's inevitable and can't control it. Hope I see my daughter marry and have kids but when it's your time.....
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
The few times I have been close, in a situation where it could easily have happened, thankfully I (instinctually?) manned up and handled it. But if it were a situation where I was sick for years and had to think and worry about it...yeah that would get to me.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Not at all afraid of dying 100%. Not looking forward to the pain, and suffering sometimes associated with it. I think a widow maker heart attack would be ideal. Do not want to die in a hospital either
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I’m not really afraid I don’t think, but that’s hard to judge unless you’re on death’s bed.

I’m not really looking forward to it either.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I've always believed that the Good Lord knows exactly have you will pass away, before you are ever born, and when that will be.

So since you have no real input in it, why stress it?

I just hope when my time comes he has blessed me that it be quick..

If I had bad health befall me, I hope he doesn't hold it against me, to just turn my demise into something quick.

heck, I'm surprised I've lasted this long. or made it this far.

I've had close calls, that I just processed that it just wasn't my time or turn yet.
Posted By: MAC Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
The way I see it I am pretty lucky to still be breathing at 59 years old. I'm not afraid of death. Just one more part of life. Anybody running around being afraid of something they will never avoid is a fool. Nobody knows when the bell is going to toll for them but it will toll at some point. Accept it and live your life to the fullest.
Posted By: skeen Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Raspy
Are You Afraid To Die?

Well, I don't actually think much on it, but if it's avoidable I'd rather not. wink
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Death is not an enemy. When time comes it will be my friend.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I just lost a friend who passed from cancer. He fought this cancer for 14 years. He used to tell me, there is a fate worse than death. This was from a guy who was pretty much an agnostic. But, he knew there was redemption on the other side. I think he put up such a brave fight for his wife and grandkids whom he did not want to leave alone or without his guidance. He is missed daily but he finally has some peace.

kwg
No fear here.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Raspy
Are You Afraid To Die?

Well, I don't actually think much on it, but if it's avoidable I'd rather not. wink
this
Posted By: Huntz Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
A friend of mine died on Weds afternoon.He was 79 years old.He had cancer for three years.I knew him since we were about 12 years old.I asked him if he was afraid of dieing and what did he think happened after death.He said he welcomed death as he would not be in pain any longer.He said he felt sorry for those of us still alive because of how fugged up the Country has become.He said when you die ,you dead.I miss him,he got me into duck hunting,bow hunting and his door was always open to friends.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Happens to the best of us, so unavoidable. Still not in a hurry to rush it.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Yes. I'm not afraid of being dead, but dying, yes. I've been with people as they died. I sat with a friend who died from cancer. The gasping for breath, the semi-consciousness, the in and out of delierium. Yes, that scares me.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Happen alot when folks are at peace when the time comes.

I know my mom in her state of mind was actually happy when it came. She lived a good life with good kids and grandkids. She was actually smiling when the machines were turned off.

Hope I'm that brave
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
No fear here. Everything is about wore out in my body. I was 79 a few days ago, I figure any thing past that is gravy ..Many years ago when my father was past 80, I asked him how he was. He told me he was just waiting to die. I am starting to know what he meant
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Everyone is afraid of death. Christian or non-Christian. You may live in the hope of the resurrection but when death comes you will have fear, anxiety and uncertainty. As a disclaimer, I don't view hope as wishful thinking but rather the Biblical definition of surety. Unless, a person dies in their sleep there will be fear. There will be fear because a path is being walked that you've never stepped foot on.

Surety is a comforting thing but it will never replace the creature response of fear of that passage if time to observe that passage is given to the person.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Not ascared, but not ready.

Beside, I died of the ‘rona last week.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I hope to die before I am incapacitated by age.
Posted By: deflave Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I hate the thought of me not being around.
Posted By: lundtroller Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Most of us fear change and are pretty comfortable with the "status quo."

Death is just as natural as birth, all part of Nature's plan and we have little say in a good part of it. Birth is pretty traumatic when you think of it but is soon forgotten and "life" becomes beautiful for a time. Death is probably much the same I would imagine... hopefully something worth waiting for on the other side!

I am going to hedge my bets and hopefully do what I can to leave the place better than I came, make my earlier relatives proud, and teach my kids and grandkids a thing or two about a rewarding life... my goal anyway.
Not afraid of death. Not anxious to embrace it yet either. I am secure in the knowledge that when the last electron stops moving in the brain, all existence will cease. And that's okay. I have had my share of Heaven right here.

I have prepared my kids well to live after I am gone. I have done my share to properly influence my grandkids. My duties are completed in that regard. My wife needs my care and support. I hope I am able to stick around as long as she needs me.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Not afraid of being dead but afraid of a long lingering death. I’ll most likely take matters into my own hands before I lose the ability.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I had to deal with the very distinct possibility of dying for a goodly period back during my 40s. Obviously, it didn't happen. But I've been through the process of mentally preparing for it once already.

Looking back, I don't like the way it shaped my perspective and the way it made me relate to people and the world in general.

But am I afraid to die? I'm not looking forward to it. But I know the routine and I'm not going to react to it the same when it comes around again.
Posted By: KC Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Life is a terminal condition. Nobody gets out alive.
Posted By: las Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not ascared, but not ready.

Beside, I died of the ‘rona last week.

RIP - did you see Northern Dave?
Posted By: drop_point Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I don't think I'm afraid but I'm in no hurry. I know I can't choose but I saw so many people suffering including my mom from cancer that I hope I don't go that way.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Happen alot when folks are at peace when the time comes.

I know my mom in her state of mind was actually happy when it came. She lived a good life with good kids and grandkids. She was actually smiling when the machines were turned off.

Hope I'm that brave
My moms last coherent words were "God is great". I hope I can go with that kind of peace.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I just hope that Karma thing is BS.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I just hope that Karma thing is BS.

mike r
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Yes in a way but, it will happen like it or not.
Posted By: jimone Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Not as much as the people who ride with me.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Not afraid at all, but I’d prefer to hold off a bit. 😜
Originally Posted by jimone
Not as much as the people who ride with me.

Posted By: Geno67 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
No. I'm afraid to watch that video though - cliffnotes?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I had stroke this past July 29. That put a whole new perspective on dying while laying there on the table while 6-7 people are rushing around getting tubes in you and pumping drugs into your body.

Back in the late70's I spent a night in a cardiac ICU ward.There six of us in there. In the morning I was the only one alive.That made an impression on me.

There have been other times in my life where I have been close to death, but I didn't have time to think about it because of what was going on. I got a little shaky after everything was over with though.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
At this point in my life I am not afraid of death
I may change my mine just before it happens
Time will tell.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I am more afraid of rotting away in a nursing home than dying.
I used to think I wasn't afraid of dying until I saw my first wife laying in a casket with everything that was just completely gone. It put me into an existential crisis for a while and I'm still unsteady about it all. The only thing that gives me any solace about death is that everyone goes through it, including many people that I loved and cared about.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I just want to die peacefully in my sleep, just like my grandfather. Not yelling and screaming like his three passengers.
Posted By: hipp2412 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Im not afraid of dying but I am afraid of suffering. I witnessed to much of it..
Posted By: poboy Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Well mister, I had myself a damn good time.
I'm on dialysis, I should be long dead.
Originally Posted by hipp2412
Im not afraid of dying but I am afraid of suffering. I witnessed to much of it..

My mother passed from huntingtons. Talk about rough. Add to that everyone in her family hated her guts because she was the meanest, most spiteful person they'd ever met and no one would take care of her. I had been estranged for the vast majority of my life and ended up having to deal with her for her last years. My father may have caused it - I don't know or care. He would get to drinking and make her get out of the car at gunpoint, strip naked and walk many miles home. Then he would spend the evening wondering why the hell I thought that was a bad idea. If mom hadn't shot and killed him directly over my head when I was 5, I would have been obligated to kill him for what he did to my mom and my brother.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Geno67
Originally Posted by hipp2412

My mother passed from huntingtons. Talk about rough. Add to that everyone in her family hated her guts because she was the meanest, most spiteful person they'd ever met and no one would take care of her. I had been estranged for the vast majority of my life and ended up having to deal with her for her last years. My father may have caused it - I don't know or care. He would get to drinking and make her get out of the car at gunpoint, strip naked and walk many miles home. Then he would spend the evening wondering why the hell I thought that was a bad idea. If mom hadn't shot and killed him directly over my head when I was 5, I would have been obligated to kill him for what he did to my mom and my brother.

Jeebus. Everyone else repeat after me. "My life wasn't so bad."
Posted By: Raspy Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Geno67
No. I'm afraid to watch that video though - cliffnotes?

Geno...I guarantee you, it will not scare you...it gave me a comforting perspective...the fellow in the video is a long time ER MD, he is/was also an ICU MD, and did a lot of Hospice care.
Posted By: jimone Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Preparing for the transit is penultimate.
The last step is unfathomable by Nature.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by IZH27
Everyone is afraid of death. Christian or non-Christian. You may live in the hope of the resurrection but when death comes you will have fear, anxiety and uncertainty. As a disclaimer, I don't view hope as wishful thinking but rather the Biblical definition of surety. Unless, a person dies in their sleep there will be fear. There will be fear because a path is being walked that you've never stepped foot on.

Surety is a comforting thing but it will never replace the creature response of fear of that passage if time to observe that passage is given to the person.

Well said.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Afraid ? No... With the world we live in today some days I'm just ready..

Speak for yourself. After watching my mother suffer a couple years from a combination of full blown global dementia, complete loss of the ability to use her limbs, complete loss of the ability to speak yet she knew everything that was going on around her - I'll be watching for the first hard set of symptoms so I can end that nonsense. She had huntingtons and I have it as well and there's no way in hell that I'll let my family go through that again.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Well said.

Some days I welcome it. Others I dread it. Good days/Bad days
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Have looked it in the face a few times , woke up alive and a little disappointed twice .
Another time looked like I was going to be burned alive and remember wondering how bad this is going to be , will I go down solid or scream like a bitch , had never been burnt real bad.
Held strong as the flames grew and was able to remain calm directing people on what to do .
They got me out , was weird never lost control during
or after , weird calm .
Kenneth
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I guess I'm not really afraid to die, I just don't want to yet. I've got a number of things I want to do that won't get done if I die.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
The first breath is the beginning of death.
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Have looked it in the face a few times , woke up alive and a little disappointed twice .
Another time looked like I was going to be burned alive and remember wondering how bad this is going to be , will I go down solid or scream like a bitch , had never been burnt real bad.
Held strong as the flames grew and was able to remain calm directing people on what to do .
or after , weird calm .
Kenneth

I'll man up, being burned alive I'll be screaming like a bitch. One of my fears in dying.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
There are quite a few things far worse than death...
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I was gone fir over 4 minutes during a sleep study once. I didn't get to the peaceful light stage. I floated above myself and started drifting away like I was caught in a current. I saw what the nurse and her aid were doing and told them what it was and they were amazed because I couldn't see their desk from my room.

They showed my everything from the monitors, no breathing for over 4 minutes then my heart stopped and my brain waves. Then it all instantly restarted and I sat straight up in bed and said out loud I just had the craziest dream or something like that. They were calling a code blue on me. I didn't get to the peaceful part and was actually quite scared because I didn't want to leave my young kids. It was like I was drifting away down the hall and up but could grab anything to pull myself back. There's more to it but you'll have to be LDS to understand what I did to get back.

Bb
Posted By: pal Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
The fellow in the video tells a great story. But he doesn't know what dying will be like any more than the rest of us.

At 78 I've taken a lot of chances and had a few near-death experiences. Though I'd like to avoid death as long as possible, I am happy and at peace, and am not afraid to die.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I think that we’d all like to think that we will act a certain way when the time comes. I’ve been in health care too long and seen too many people literally sliding down that slope.

There’s an old book by a John Howie “The Scots Worthies”. The book is basically mini biographies of Christian’s who were considered heroes of the faith during the struggles of the Protestant against the Pope sponsored leaders. Staunch men of faith but many examples of angst.

A man reads such things and witnesses people getting the word of quick approaching death, an incurable disease…no offense but I don’t believe a man that claims that he does or has no fear.
There are a lot of suicides out there for every person being consumed by such an overwhelming innate fear of death.
Posted By: Cabarillo Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Little boy in church about 8 years was asked to hold up his hand if he wanted to go to heaven. Church lady said why didn't you hold up your hand. Don' you want to go to heaven? Little boy said "Sure but not today".
'
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I was gone fir over 4 minutes during a sleep study once. I didn't get to the peaceful light stage. I floated above myself and started drifting away like I was caught in a current. I saw what the nurse and her aid were doing and told them what it was and they were amazed because I couldn't see their desk from my room.

They showed my everything from the monitors, no breathing for over 4 minutes then my heart stopped and my brain waves. Then it all instantly restarted and I sat straight up in bed and said out loud I just had the craziest dream or something like that. They were calling a code blue on me. I didn't get to the peaceful part and was actually quite scared because I didn't want to leave my young kids. It was like I was drifting away down the hall and up but could grab anything to pull myself back. There's more to it but you'll have to be LDS to understand what I did to get back.

Bb

4 minutes gone while being monitored? that crew must have been union workersgrin

mike r
What's the point in worrying about death? - it happens to everyone. Best we know we go back to non-existance. I don't recall any issues with the previous state of non-existance.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I’m not afraid but I’m putting it off to the last thing I do.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
For myself, no, hope it is quick. But I have a wife who needs me, crippled, maybe memory troubles. The life insurance hopefully will help her but I think she will follow quickly. The plan is her to go first. My fuzzy little dog will be devastated. Daughter will step in. Son had a hard time growing up so he will always be a worry though doing well now. Grandkids naturally, 2 brothers left.

I sincerely hope people are the better for knowing me. I make an effort at that always.

I have become agnostic to a degree. Some Bible stuff doesnt square with history; the other side is whence came "stuff". If there is a plan, why not finish it?
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I think the 10 zillion years after I die will be just like the 10 zillion years before I was born.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by MAC
The way I see it I am pretty lucky to still be breathing at 59 years old. I'm not afraid of death. Just one more part of life. Anybody running around being afraid of something they will never avoid is a fool. Nobody knows when the bell is going to toll for them but it will toll at some point. Accept it and live your life to the fullest.

Very well said.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
I died a long time ago. Took my revenge with a cold heart.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
or after , weird calm .
Kenneth

I'll man up, being burned alive I'll be screaming like a bitch. One of my fears in dying.

Yeah , just sharing some of the dumb things you think of at a time like that .
I also remember thinking , really ?
Then got levelheaded and focused on task at hand.
Kenneth
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Of course, I'm only human. Stewart Hamblen, said his father told him.

Don't be afraid of the river of death son, Our Lord owns the land on both sides.
I’m more afraid of living than dying with all the crazy scheit going on in this world. There ARE fates worse than death.
Posted By: 603Country Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Years go I woke up in the dentist’s chair, and I had not gone to sleep. I was rather wet and sweaty and the dentist and his assistant were very pale. I asked what happened, and the dentist said “you died, but we got you back”. My heart had quit and my breathing quit. Of course, I didn’t have any dying ‘experience’. I just woke up from being temporarily dead. Dying didn’t hurt, and there was not the slightest sensation of anything. No life flashbacks. No pearly gates. Just nothing, and no sensation of nothing. I guess that’s how permanently and instantly dead is. You won’t know you’re dead. I could say that “you’ll see”, but you won’t.

I was in for wisdom teeth removal. He gave me a shot. I remember that.

His assistant was a really cute girl about my age. I had planned to ask her out, but guess I looked bad being dead.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m more afraid of living than dying with all the crazy scheit going on in this world. There ARE fates worse than death.
Sad to say, but I have apologize to my daughter to bring her into this crazy world. Glad I did though, best thing to happen to me and she is alot stronger willed than me.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Sad to say, but I have apologize to my daughter to bring her into this crazy world. Glad I did though, best thing to happen to me and she is alot stronger willed than me.
You and I both. If there is a future, it belongs to strong women.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
I have no fear of death at all, none, zero, nada.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

4 minutes gone while being monitored? that crew must have been union workersgrin

mike r

I asked them why they waited so long to call a code. They said they are used to seeing people with apnea go a few minutes without breathing and even triggering alarms from time to time. When I hit 3 minutes they said they panicked.

One time after a stomach surgery a nurse gave me 50 MG of morphine post op instead of 5mg. She said she was used to giving everyone demoral but I am allergic to that so I was to get morphine 5-10mg but she got the morphine right but went with a demorol dose. My vitals started dropping right away and the alarms went off and they had the crash cart in the room before I even passed out. They gave me narcan and I was back in seconds. I didn't see anything during that short nap but was in a lot of pain for hours after that and had to stay in recovery a few extra hours. The sleep center guys just don't get as excited when people don't breath for a while.

Bb
Posted By: Dinny Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I think a widow maker heart attack would be ideal. Do not want to die in a hospital either

Same thoughts here. I work part time in a hospital ER and spent multiple sandbox tours as a combat medic. I've seen suffering and want nothing to do with it.
Posted By: blanket Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
No
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Raspy: Nope... never have been afraid of that.
Don't wish it to happen anytime soon but don't fear or dread that inevitability.
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Yes
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Terrified of it.
Posted By: blanket Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
It will over before you know it
Posted By: EdM Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
I really don't think about it. My paternal Grandfather dropped dead at 87 of a stroke picking zucchini in his garden.
I think most everyone is. I have faith but I love my family and what I have here. I’m in no rush to die.
I just hope I die well.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Won't know till the time comes?.. But I always loved these Lyrics... Cause every hand's a Winner... And every hand's a Loser... And the best that you can hope for is to Die in your Sleep...
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Nope, but there are some things that cause it that I would just as soon avoid.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
I worry more about leaving before my dear wife and her having to deal with the mess.

Not near any of my relatives, for them to come and get certain items.

Probably should rig up a switch to just torch it all out there in the shop when I go. Tell her to make sure she gets the car and some of her stuff out, or it'll be ashes.
Posted By: Boxerdog Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
This is a great post in regards to showing our mortality.

I invite all of you to watch the following video about this very topic… this video is applicable to people on and off the religious spectrum .

Posted By: Sheister Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
At the moment at least I don't fear death. I've had a great life and accomplished a lot of things I never considered I would do and I keep going with new pursuits every chance I get at 69 years old. If I died tomorrow I wouldn't have any complaints except for the last few years living with my wife have been miserable. Seems the older she gets, the more vicious and ungrateful she seems to get and I wouldn't mind dying with her there just so I could say "finally, some peace ".....

Both my parents passed at about 85 years old and as gracefully as a person could . My in-laws both passed last year and it was a grind watching them go downhill so slowly and painfully, but at least they didn't deal with dementia or mental issues. I hope I can go as peacefully and gracefully as my parents did, but I won't have any control over that situation so I'll accept whatever God has in store for me..
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Friends have said I'll probably live forever because heaven will not allow me to enter and the hell's afraid I'll take over. I never figured that I'd still be here at 84 Y.O. I always figured some jealous husband would be the cause of my demise. To be honest, one came damn close.

I've had a few close calls About ten or so years back I started to bleed from the rear end. I'm talking like it was a blood enema. Called 911 and rode the meat wagon to the ER. Spent a few days in hospital and got X-rays, CT scan, cat scan and a colonoscapy. They never found a thing. Lying in that bed half out of it in some kind of dream like state I'm thinking if I wasn't so damn cold this wouldn't be a bad way to go. About that time the nurse asked me if I wanted a transfusion? I asked what for and she said you've lost a bit over two units of blood and it needs to be replaced. I asked for a warm blanket and said no, I'll ride out this storm on my own. Three days later the let me got home, none the worse for wear. Never did figure out where the bleeding started.

There's been three more close calls, a wreck in my truck where the truck was totaled. The air bag did not deploy and the only thing that saved me was the seat belt. I still hit the steering wheel hard enough to fracture my sternum in four places and my heart was seriously bruised.

Then I had a heart attack. I think that was probably caused by the bruising during the accident. Two stents later and I'm still not right.

Now this year my primary care doc says I want you the get a colonoscapy. I did and dammit cancer. Well I beat prostate cancer over 20 years ago and skin cancer about 6 o7 years ago so I guess I beat it again.
I'm beginning to think the decade off the 2020s is trying to kill me.

I'm not particularly afraid of dying. I just don't want it to be screaming in some king of pain. Quietly, in my sleep would be just fine.
PJ

"You know? I've looked old Mr. Death in the face and you know? He ain't half bad." Doc Holiday in Tombstone.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather did, not screaming and carrying on like all the passengers on his bus.
Posted By: shaman Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
from 24 April of this year:

This happened just a couple of weeks ago. I was being treated for a blood clot in my leg. I got up Tuesday@ 0400 AM, and was sitting in my office chair, corresponding with my dear friends on this august forum.

The next thing I knew, I was down on the floor with the office chair on top of me. I had no idea how I got there. KYHillChick was sleeping in the next room and didn't hear me call for help, so I decided to extricate myself. It took a good 10 minutes to maneuver the chair off me, get out away from the desk without tipping over anything and finally get off the floor. I had no pain, no inkling anything was wrong. Whatever I was typing, I'd lost somehow and decided not to retype it, choosing to get a refill on my coffee instead.

Tuesday night, once I was in the Emergency Room, I started to look back on the events of the day. It was when I realized that this was probably when the blood clot broke loose and ended up in my lung. I had no memory of coming out of the chair, because I'd gone out like a light when the clot hit a major vessel and dropped the flow going to my brain. All I remembered was a dull thud. That was my head hitting the carpet.

I spent the next 20 hours flat on my back in the ICU unable to move. They were afraid that it was going to my brain or heart, but they dissolved the clot sufficiently and set me loose late Wednesday afternoon. I was turkey hunting Saturday morning.

Yeah, I have to say that little experience was about as close as you come. No muss, no fuss. If I'd not come to, I'd have never known it. KYHIllChick would have woken up at 0900 and found a big fat blue stiff with an office chair on top of him.

Life comes at you fast sometimes.

So here it is, 22 August, and the question is did it scare me?

I never really knew it. I certainly did not have time to think about it, and I certainly did not have time to be scared. As I've said in so many posts in the past months, the banality of it all is overwhelming.

One correction: That wasn't a major vessel the clot entered. It was my heart. I had it explained in depth to me by a resident examining me in June.
Posted By: CharlieSisk Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Sounds like a lot of people talking who have ZERO experience. I do. June 10, 1995 at about 1430. Dead for at least 10 minutes, more likely for 15. Morphine overdose. Hospital gave me a little too much. I dont want to do that again anytime soon, but it wasn't the traumatic experience people with no experience talk about. It does change your way of thinking.
Charlie
Posted By: pal Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
"Are You Afraid To Die?"

Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Sounds like a lot of people talking who have ZERO experience...

Yeah, well, the question was "Are you afraid to die?" not: "How much personal experience have you had with dying?"
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
No! I’m not afraid of dying because that’s a part of living.

I’m afraid of not living this life to the fullest.

I’ve been a faithful child of God for my ENTIRE life so I look forward to eternity in His presence! Based upon my career choices I have been surrounded and immersed in death which is probably why it doesn’t scare me. I don’t look at my desire to survive the building collapse or not getting killed by a drunk driver on the highway 3am while attending to a multiple vehicle MVA as a “fear” of death because it isn’t! I can’t control the hour I’m called home so I’m not going to worry about that which I can’t control. I view it as my strong survival instincts take over and allows me to think extremely clearly with laser focus when everything has gone to hell. I’m a survivor until I’m not and at that point I’ll be spending eternity in the loving embrace of my Lord and Savior!
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Not reading through 6 pages. My answer may be similar to others. I'm not afraid to die. I know where I'm going. It's going to be a lot better than here.
I do have anxiety about leaving my wife and kids to fend for themselves. I want to be around for them. To lead, support and guide them on their life's journey.
But the timing is not mine. It's God's alone. Whatever will be, will be. There is some peace in knowing that.
Posted By: skeen Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
This is a great post in regards to showing our mortality.

I invite all of you to watch the following video about this very topic… this video is applicable to people on and off the religious spectrum .

I got the ring, baby. wink

Posted By: WhiteTail48 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
To live is Christ, to die is gain, Philippians 1:21

Death for believers in Jesus Christ is not a loss, but a gain. In death, eternal life is realized in Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

Jesus is better than anything this life offers. The anticipation of Jesus conquers the fear of death, which enslaves all mankind.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
I don't like the infinity of it........................
74 and counting. I still get out fishing most days so life is good.
Posted By: tzone Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
No. But I don’t want to yet.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Sounds like a lot of people talking who have ZERO experience. I do. June 10, 1995 at about 1430. Dead for at least 10 minutes, more likely for 15. Morphine overdose. Hospital gave me a little too much. I dont want to do that again anytime soon, but it wasn't the traumatic experience people with no experience talk about. It does change your way of thinking.
Charlie

You should call into coast to coast. You'd be a rookie there though, it only happened once to you.

Sorry we don't meet your standards cuz we haven't died before....

Actually comical. Sorry I haven't died and hope to last as long as I can. This is one subject I'm glad I don't have experience in.
Posted By: Chrome Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
No! I’m not afraid of dying because that’s a part of living.

I’m afraid of not living this life to the fullest.

I’ve been a faithful child of God for my ENTIRE life so I look forward to eternity in His presence! Based upon my career choices I have been surrounded and immersed in death which is probably why it doesn’t scare me. I don’t look at my desire to survive the building collapse or not getting killed by a drunk driver on the highway 3am while attending to a multiple vehicle MVA as a “fear” of death because it isn’t! I can’t control the hour I’m called home so I’m not going to worry about that which I can’t control. I view it as my strong survival instincts take over and allows me to think extremely clearly with laser focus when everything has gone to hell. I’m a survivor until I’m not and at that point I’ll be spending eternity in the loving embrace of my Lord and Savior!

Great Post!

Just retired, 32 years as a Firefighter/EMT. Seen death from many different angles, All ages.

Having faith in Jesus Christ is the only peace, I know no matter what happens. I'm saved.

It's free to all of us.
Been close 2 times and at the time all i could think of was i did the best i could.

When it happens at least i have the knowledge that the pain will stop.

But i don't think about it every day.
Kind of

Not sure what, if anything is on the other side.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/23/22
I always thought there two things in this life that a person should not have to worry about, one is living and the other is dying.
Posted By: blanket Re: Are You Afraid To Die? - 08/23/22
Nope
© 24hourcampfire