Home
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019...X25P9v1vTy9lbW8SiBLJw8DrGo&firefox=1

A Montana man’s DNA has been traced back 55 generations with 99 percent accuracy, according to the ancestry company, CRI Genetics, that tested him. This means that the man’s ancestors were in North America 17,000 years ago.

Darrell “Dusty” Crawford, who is Native American, has said he was taught in school that his ancestors, the Blackfeet Native Americans, used the Bering Land Bridge during the Ice Age to reach the Americas. However, his DNA testing contained another surprise: It seems that Crawford’s ancestors are from the Pacific Islands. From there they presumably traveled along the coast of South America into what is now North America, data suggests.

The length of Crawford’s lineage is so rare that the company told Crawford’s family that this kind of success was “like finding Big Foot.” The DNA test focused on mitachondrial DNA and Crawford’s line of female ancestors.

The company has never been able to trace anyone’s ancestry in the Americas as far back as Crawford, according to Great Falls Tribune. Crawford is part of MtDNA Haplogroup B2, which has a low frequency in Alaska and Canada and originated in Arizona about 17,000 years ago. To find out more about this fascinating science and how it could possibly relate to you personally please visit their site here.

This group is one of four major Native American groups found in North America. These groups are traced back to four female ancestors: Ai, Ina, Chie, and Sachi. Crawford is a descendant of Ina. Ina’s name comes from a Polynesian mythological figure, considered a representative of the “first woman.” She’s riding a shark on a $20 bill in the Cook Islands. The DNA group’s closest relatives outside the Americas are in Southeast Asia.
Blackfoot Native American reservation

Tribal territory of Blackfoot

“Its path from the Americas is somewhat of a mystery as there are no frequencies of the haplogroup in either Alaska or Canada. Today this Native American line is found only in the Americas, with a strong frequency peak on the eastern coast of North America,” according to CRI Genetics. Live Science said that 83 percent of Crawford’s DNA matches up with Native Americans. The rest of it showed about 10 percent European, about 5 percent East Asian, 2 percent South Asian and less than 1 percent African.

These genetic tests are reshaping scientific understanding of when Native Americans came and by what route. Other research has suggested that humans reached North America between 24,000 and 40,000 years ago. A 24,000-year-old horse jaw bone that was found in January 2017 in Alaska had the marks of stone tools, suggesting it was hunted by humans.
Blackfeet Native Americans

Group portrait of three Blackfeet Native Americans. Wolf Plume (left), Curly Bear, and Bird Rattler (right). 1916.

The Blackfoot Native Americans were skilled huntsmen. They primarily hunted buffalo like many other Plains tribes and traveled in groups, when hunting, to cover as much territory as possible.

In the 1800s, the white men began hunting buffalo too and this caused the population to decrease. More than 600 Blackfoots reportedly starved to death because of their dependence on the nearly extinct buffalo. The Blackfoot tribes are very spiritual and believe in supernatural powers. Among their beliefs is that everything has a spirit, whether alive or inanimate.

The Blackfoots most important spiritual ceremony is the Sun Dance. Taking place over eight days in the summer, it is also known as the Medicine Lodge Ceremony. It centers around dancing, singing, prayer and fasting, and the buffalo is the highlight of the ceremony. The ceremony was deemed illegal from the 1890s until 1934, when it was restored.

Related Article: DNA Testing Reveals Identity of World’s Oldest Natural Mummy

The Blackfoot Confederacy is a historic collective name for the four bands that make up the Blackfoot people: three First Nation groups in the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia and one federally recognized tribe in Montana.
Old 300 is a cool thing, Roger

Me? I'm Irish with a Viking in the woodpile.

This guys got all of us beat on history, though...
Ingwe ?
Humm. I would have thought desert tortoise. Or whale. Or shark.
how does 55 generations equal 17000 years?
Originally Posted by bluefish
I picked that up as well. Only works if each generation is living to be 309 years old.... Some one needs a remedial math class....
Thor Heyerdahl proved that South Sea Savages could paddle a raft from Chile to the Pacific Islands. If they could go 1,500 miles west, they could turn around and go 1,500 miles east. Mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work in 1947.
The first paragraph doesn't make sense. If each person lived 100 years and there are 55 generations, then that would add up to 5500 years, not 17,000.

After reading that first paragraph again, what I think it says is that for 55 generations, they are 99% sure. That means that for the next period of time, from generation 56 on back, they are not as sure. So that could mean, and I think it does, that the 17000 years, is just a guess.
Like finding Bigfoot, lol. Have you seen some of them women 😂
Wonder how they can trace DNA across that much area over that much time. The entire article stinks. Perhaps he's trans-something as well. I'm thinking that they arrived at that decision via many wild assed assumptions.
I was reading the other day that anything past 7 generations has only about a 1-2% accuracy.
Mitachondrial DNA? Well that's unique.
Wasn’t it not long ago someone posted an article here of a butchered animal/campsite of humans dating back 35,000 years? I’m confused ( as often as not )

Osky
Because mitochondrial dna is passed unchanged from mother to offspring. It doesn’t recombine like nuclear dna.

The only changes that occur in this dna are random mutations that occur over time. Since they can sequence it from old bones now, they can tell who is related today to a skeleton thousands of years old.

Some people like this man have a unique mitochondrial dna. Apparently his mitochondrial dna is of southwest Asian origin. But this doesn’t mean that native Americans have that origin. He is mostly native American but the article says he is also of European, African, and Asian ancestry. He could have picked up that Mitochondrial DNA from a non-native ancestor.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Thor Heyerdahl proved that South Sea Savages could paddle a raft from Chile to the Pacific Islands. If they could go 1,500 miles west, they could turn around and go 1,500 miles east. Mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work in 1947.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Guy had some nuts though. I enjoyed reading him as a younger man.
Mr. Crawford has a huge legacy. Does he have heirs to follow him ? It would be a shame to lose this line.

kwg
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

Cool boat, must take forever to build one.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Well that is embarrassing...
Originally Posted by Futura
Because mitochondrial dna is passed unchanged from mother to offspring. It doesn’t recombine like nuclear dna.

The only changes that occur in this dna are random mutations that occur over time. Since they can sequence it from old bones now, they can tell who is related today to a skeleton thousands of years old.

Some people like this man have a unique mitochondrial dna. Apparently his mitochondrial dna is of southwest Asian origin. But this doesn’t mean that native Americans have that origin. He is mostly native American but the article says he is also of European, African, and Asian ancestry. He could have picked up that Mitochondrial DNA from a non-native ancestor.
There is no "mitochondrial DNA"... try RNA.
Pretty cool.
The first few sentences put out a whole bunch of disconnected information with little substantiation.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
The first paragraph doesn't make sense. If each person lived 100 years and there are 55 generations, then that would add up to 5500 years, not 17,000.

After reading that first paragraph again, what I think it says is that for 55 generations, they are 99% sure. That means that for the next period of time, from generation 56 on back, they are not as sure. So that could mean, and I think it does, that the 17000 years, is just a guess.
r

Generations are usually separated by 20 or 30 years, In earlier times probably even less. There could be any where between 3 to 5 generations within 100 years.

So with just a 20 yr separation average, it would take only 1100 years for 55 generations.

Even that doesn't work.
Considering life expectancy, normal human breeding patterns....
If everyone had kids by 25, you would have kids, grandkids, great grand kids, and great-great-great kids just before you die. (Some birthed at 24)
That would be 4 generations created in 100 years, 5 if your line is young breeder and you were born inside that span.
I'm thinking Senator Elizabeth Warren will stake a claim in this somehow.

Attached picture warren.JPG
It is a terribly written article, and not only because the math doesn’t come close to making sense.

Interesting nonetheless.
What do you mean?

I loved Kon Tiki as a kid and read it 3 times. Five badass Norwegian WW2 vets crossed the big ocean on a raft.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
What do you mean?
RNA in mitochondria, not DNA.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
What do you mean?
Incorrect.
I am no genetics expert, but a simple google search found this.

Mitochondrial DNA is the circular chromosome found inside the cellular organelles called mitochondria. Located in the cytoplasm, mitochondria are the site of the cell's energy production and other metabolic functions. Offspring inherit mitochondria — and as a result mitochondrial DNA — from their mother.
What do you mean?
I mean whoever penned the article is a buffoon. Not only does their rithmetic suck, so does their riting (spelling).

With regard to work like this, they aren't connecting 55 consecutive generations. I doubt the Blackfeet would have known the White Man would discover DNA and so did not know to save samples from each generation.

Instead it is done with known DNA samples from the past and mathematical models that supposedly determine how likely it is that two samples separated by multiple generations are related. There is a large amount of hand waving and voodoo involved and a lot of the results are influenced by what the people involved want there outcome to be.

The article was written by an imbecile so tough to tell, but it seems that the company's models made connections from this guy back across 55 DNA samples from the past, which they probably pulled out of a shared database somewhere.
What do you mean?
What do you mean?
LOL
What do you mean?
I mean whoever penned the article is a buffoon. Not only does their rithmetic suck, so does their riting (spelling).

Oh I didn't even notice. Good catch.

When I said that mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work, I meant that, time has proven Heyerdahl to be right and mainstream science wrong.

When I said that mainstream science dismissed Heyerdahl's work, I meant that, time has proven Heyerdahl to be right and mainstream science wrong.
That stuff is interesting, however, it doesn't jibe with even the most basic genetics work. BUT, who knows what they'll dig up in the future.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

That stuff is interesting, however, it doesn't jibe with even the most basic genetics work. BUT, who knows what they'll dig up in the future.

I'm no expert but it sure seems like the polynesians made it to South America. If they can start in southeast Asia and make it all the way to Easter Island, South America doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

A few years ago there was a group that took what they claim was a traditional style of Polynesian sailing catamaran, and they circumnavigated the globe in the thing.

That's easy Randy...

Liberal DemocRAT math....

nothing else they do makes any sense or adds up, so why should this?

Like the country is not in a recession, we don't have any real inflation...and Joe Biden isn't senile.. this is the way people who are 509 years old act?
They aren't senile or confused.. they're just lost in thought, because they spend most of their days thinking how to solved the real world problems.,

and Joe is really 1009 years old.
Originally Posted by auk1124

I'm no expert but it sure seems like the polynesians made it to South America. If they can start in southeast Asia and make it all the way to Easter Island, South America doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

A few years ago there was a group that took what they claim was a traditional style of Polynesian sailing catamaran, and they circumnavigated the globe in the thing.
It's maybe possible, even probable, however, the modern genetics work, thus far, shows decent from Siberian ancestry throughout the Americas. (In multiple waves). Interesting stuff in the past decade. Just my casual take.

Proof that men can get pregnant…

Cool boat, must take forever to build one.

No Yami ?
What do you mean?
LOL

Indeed, I missed all these RNA people.

The lack of basic knowledge that is put on display in some of these threads is astonishing.
The findings, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, offer more evidence that ancient Polynesians may have interacted with people in South America long before the Europeans set foot on the continent.

"There's been many kinds of evidence – linguistic and archaeological – for contact between these two people," Caroline Rouiller, an evolutionary biologist at the Center for Functional and Evolutionary Ecology in France who led the study, tells The Salt. "But the sweet potato is the most compelling."

Sweet potatoes originated in Central and South America. But archaeologists have found prehistoric remnants of sweet potato in Polynesia from about A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1100, according to radiocarbon dating. They've hypothesized that those ancient samples came from the western coast of South America. Among the clues: One Polynesian word for sweet potato — "kuumala" — resembles "kumara," or "cumal," the words for the vegetable in Quechua, a language spoken by Andean natives.

But until now, there was little genetic proof for this theory of how the tater traveled.

So how did the sweet potato make the ocean voyage?

Its seeds could have possibly hitched a ride on seaweed or gotten lodged in the wing of a bird. But Pat Kirch, an archeologist at the University of Berkeley, California, thinks the Polynesians were well-equipped to sail right across the Pacific to South America and pick up a potato.

"There's a lot of evidence accumulating over the last 10 years that the Polynesians made landfall in South America," he says. "We think they had sophisticated, double-hulled canoes — like very large catamarans — which could carry 80 or more people and be out to sea for months."
It has been a long time since I read Heyerdahl's book.
Started it three times before I got through it.

Seem to remember that he had some trials before it made the complete journey.

OFF subject, but I think I remember some experiments with South Seas Islanders sailing to places they had never been . . .

Currents, stars and lore as their navigational tools.

My brother and I often discuss just how much "science" and "history" we were taught that may have just a little (LOT) of mis/wrong information
The findings, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, offer more evidence that ancient Polynesians may have interacted with people in South America long before the Europeans set foot on the continent.

"There's been many kinds of evidence – linguistic and archaeological – for contact between these two people," Caroline Rouiller, an evolutionary biologist at the Center for Functional and Evolutionary Ecology in France who led the study, tells The Salt. "But the sweet potato is the most compelling."

Sweet potatoes originated in Central and South America. But archaeologists have found prehistoric remnants of sweet potato in Polynesia from about A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1100, according to radiocarbon dating. They've hypothesized that those ancient samples came from the western coast of South America. Among the clues: One Polynesian word for sweet potato — "kuumala" — resembles "kumara," or "cumal," the words for the vegetable in Quechua, a language spoken by Andean natives.

But until now, there was little genetic proof for this theory of how the tater traveled.

Its seeds could have possibly hitched a ride on seaweed or gotten lodged in the wing of a bird. But Pat Kirch, an archeologist at the University of Berkeley, California, thinks the Polynesians were well-equipped to sail right across the Pacific to South America and pick up a potato.

"There's a lot of evidence accumulating over the last 10 years that the Polynesians made landfall in South America," he says. "We think they had sophisticated, double-hulled canoes — like very large catamarans — which could carry 80 or more people and be out to sea for months."
That Tater is is is in Wyoming now...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by stxhunter

That Tater is is is in Wyoming now...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Johnny fatbelly!!!!!
There are a lot of things we don't know about the earliest Americans, and the "intellectuals" in academia fight anything that doesn't jive with what they've been teaching their whole careers, even if evidence says otherwise.
"Darrell “Dusty” Crawford, who is Native American, has said he was taught in school that his ancestors, the Blackfeet Native Americans, used the Bering Land Bridge during the Ice Age to reach the Americas. However, his DNA testing contained another surprise: It seems that Crawford’s ancestors are from the Pacific Islands. From there they presumably traveled along the coast of South America into what is now North America, data suggests."

So the Blackfeet are migrants not native.....
Think about how much money we pay colleges, etc., to study this stuff. I had an employee whose husband taught middle age German religion at a major university. Full-time, taught three classes and was able to babysit their infant. Plus all the non-taxable donations funneled to universities and various other causes. Bah humbug!
The author of the article:

Nancy Bilyeau, a former staff editor at *Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone*, and *InStyle*, has written a trilogy of historical thrillers for Touchstone Books.

More:
https://www.thevintagenews.com/author/nancy-bilyeau/

Bruce
© 24hourcampfire