Home
Posted By: Ringman supressors - 11/28/22
Two questions.......

I see more and more photos of hunters showing a rifle with a supressosr. Are they the cool thing now?
On big guns they are barely less loud than a regular barrel. For sub-sonic they are fantastic. Who hunts
sub-sonic?
Posted By: TheKid Re: supressors - 11/28/22
They are substantially less loud than a gun without one.

Lots of guys using subs for pigs at night among other uses.

Yes they’re cool, hearing aids are not.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by TheKid

Boomer be like “whaddya say?”
Posted By: JPro Re: supressors - 11/28/22

Bingo. I like shooting a .223 that sounds like a hot .22LR. I also like knocking a third of the recoil off a centerfire hunting recoil. And while it's true that something like a suppressed Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308 isn't "quiet", they are much nicer to shoot that the unsuppressed versions, especially in the field. I've had some 18" barreled rifles ring the heck out of my ears without a can in place.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by JPro

Bingo. I like shooting a .223 that sounds like a hot .22LR. I also like knocking a third of the recoil off a centerfire hunting recoil. And while it's true that something like a suppressed Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308 isn't "quiet", they are much nicer to shoot that the unsuppressed versions, especially in the field. I've had some 18" barreled rifles ring the heck out of my ears without a can in place.
That.
Posted By: killerv Re: supressors - 11/28/22
How come when someone mentions ears ringing your own ears start to ring?
If you've never shot a 22lr suppressed you are missing out.

Shot a 300bo the other day with supers and subs through one. A lot of fun. I plan to use subs around the yard, may try one out on a hog first. The supers werent much louder with the can....about like a 22lr. My ears sure thanked me.

Just picked up a bergara threaded 708, cant wait to try it out.
Posted By: Teal Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by killerv

My ears have been ringing, 24/7 non-stop since the Navy and I've been out 16 years now. It's worse when I'm stressed (BP is high) and so loud some nights, I can't sleep.

Ringing sucks big time. AFAIK - no cure.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: supressors - 11/28/22

Thanks and shut the hell up!
Posted By: WiFowler Re: supressors - 11/28/22
If you've never shot a 22lr suppressed you are missing out.

^^^ Truth
I forgot about the .22LR stuff. Very nice to be able to have rimfire rifle and pistol practice in the yard without earpro and the folks in the house never hear the shot. The kids really take to the rimfire stuff and hearing the bullets hit the target.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by Ringman
On big guns they are barely less loud than a regular barrel.

Wrong.

They don't sound like a James Bond movie "Pfft", but they cut the Db's considerably.

You really ought to do your homework better.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: supressors - 11/28/22
IMO the supersonic crack is overrated, at least to the shooter or those behind him. When shooting supersonic I don’t hear the dramatically louder sound compared to subsonic that some expect.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: supressors - 11/28/22
I've got enough weight in the woods. Adding two pounds and eight inches to rifle while climbing mountains and trying to walk through dark timber chasing elk is not worth it to me. Midwest in a deer stand is a different story and definitely would be appealing.
There are several 6-7" centerfire cans out there that are 13-15oz now and sub-$700. More money can buy even lighter weight for a hunting setup.
There are several 6-7" centerfire cans out there that are 13-15oz now and sub-$700. More money can buy even lighter weight for a hunting setup.

But.... I do get that some cases don't really benefit as much as others. This is true.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: supressors - 11/28/22
More money can buy even lighter weight for a hunting setup.

If only there were a member here who knows a lot about light cans and likes money....
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I've got enough weight in the woods. Adding two pounds and eight inches to rifle while climbing mountains and trying to walk through dark timber chasing elk is not worth it to me. Midwest in a deer stand is a different story and definitely would be appealing.

While I cant speak on the 8inches, two pounds is the equivalent of skipping a meal or two in most cases or dieting a week. My can has an adapter where it quicker goes on and off. Dont have to walk around with it on all the time.
Posted By: dale06 Re: supressors - 11/28/22
My sons suppressed 22 makes virtually no noise, except for the action cycling.
Its my understanding that on centerfires ( non subsonic) the noise is still above the level where hearing protection should be worn. Yes the noise is less than non suppressed, but still potentially harmful to your hearing.
Originally Posted by dale06
Its my understanding that on centerfires ( non subsonic) the noise is still above the level where hearing protection should be worn. Yes the noise is less than non suppressed, but still potentially harmful to your hearing.

You are correct, if you were doing a lot of it earplugs would be a good idea. But you hear stuff ever day that is just as loud as the supersonic round through a suppressor, I'd imagine most folks dont put on ear protection when they are hammering in a nail.
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by dale06

You are correct, if you were doing a lot of it earplugs would be a good idea. But you hear stuff ever day that is just as loud as the supersonic round through a suppressor, I'd imagine most folks dont put on ear protection when they are hammering in a nail.

This is my experience. ~25-30dbs reduction depending on the cartridge/load/barrel length. The real lack of flash at night works well with IR / thermal.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Two questions.......

I see more and more photos of hunters showing a rifle with a supressosr. Are they the cool thing now?
On big guns they are barely less loud than a regular barrel. For sub-sonic they are fantastic. Who hunts
sub-sonic?
. You’re totally missing it. By a mile in fact. But to your credit not very many talk about it. Imagine about a 75% reduction in recoil? How about essentially no blast? How about spotting hits in the scope now? It’s not just about noise. Which is cut way way back Subsonic or otherwise. Every rifle I have suppressed has been more accurate by a very noticeable amount. I started with only my ARs suppressed. Now every bolt gun I have is threaded. I don’t want to shoot anything that is not suppressed. I just ordered my 6th can now. Once you go suppressed you don’t go back
Posted By: TheKid Re: supressors - 11/28/22
I don’t carry mine up the mountain elk hunting but for dinking around home hunting pigs and varmints where volume of fire is much higher and I’m not walking more than a couple miles I find the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by Teal

My ears have been ringing, 24/7 non-stop since the Navy and I've been out 16 years now. It's worse when I'm stressed (BP is high) and so loud some nights, I can't sleep.

Ringing sucks big time. AFAIK - no cure.

I got out of the Navy 15 years ago, my ears were ringing the last year or so and still do to this day. Had substantial hearing loss too but they said it was still within acceptable limits. My wife disagrees with them cause I can't hear [bleep] lol

I only shoot suppressed now, same with the kids. It's makes a huge difference, even when shooting supersonic
Posted By: Ringman Re: supressors - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Once you go suppressed you don’t go back

I purchased a Thunder Beast 9. When I bought it, I put my son-in-law on the government blackmail paper. The only real value to me was a .22 LR. It's in his possesion now.

All my rifles have brakes. They do a way better job of recoil reduction. When I hunt I use electronic hearing muffs. I see the bullet impacts.

At the range I use pugs and ear muffs.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: supressors - 11/28/22
For sub-sonic they are fantastic. Who hunts
sub-sonic?

I hunt with subs all the time...
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: supressors - 11/29/22

Yep... You cannot imagine how much BETTER you will shoot with a can. No noise and better groups.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: supressors - 11/29/22
I'm sincerely proud for you young guys. Between gunshots, outboard motors and sirens, I can barely hear any of them.

Do the best you can to protect your hearing.

You will regret not being able to hear your grandchildren.
Posted By: worriedman Re: supressors - 11/29/22
I want to find out, I get to "visit" mine ever so often, but the ATF has mine in bondage at the moment and probably will for another 10-12 months. Just 3 months in but already ticked at .gov.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Wrong.

They don't sound like a James Bond movie "Pfft", but they cut the Db's considerably.

This is true especially see how decibels work and at how much noise is reduced just by muffling the decibels a few points.
Also the quality of suppressors can vary largely from manufacturer to manufacturer. Each company builds their suppressors differently so each produce will have different results.
Posted By: BigDogBoogie Re: supressors - 11/29/22
I've got a lot of hearing loss and as a bonus I hear REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 24 hours a friggin' day.

I decided I didn't want to lose any more of the hearing I have left so I invested in a couple of cans, Best decision I ever made.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Some boomers already have half a dozen suppressors and hear better than most millenials.

smile smile

Wrong.

To add:

With subs, you can actually get "Pfft" out of some guns, especially .22's.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Two questions.......

Who hunts sub-sonic?

Sneezes are better than bangs when plinkin' pigs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: RHutch Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Old codgers will not get it or change their ways. [bleep] boomers…..
Brakes can do damage to hearing as well, even with muffs. Has something to do with concussive transfer through the cheekbone to ear canal….or some schidt like that.

I shoot and hunt with suppressors because they make the shooting experience “nicer”, doesn’t spook game to the extent a louden-boomer would, allowing follow ups on groups of targets and they are [bleep] cool 😎 .
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Some boomers already have half a dozen suppressors and hear better than most millenials.

smile smile

Hahahaha 🤣
A half a dozen is nothing, and boomers can't hear or learn for schitt
Posted By: CashisKing Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Two questions.......

Who hunts sub-sonic?

Very cool... what is that caliber?
Posted By: blanket Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by RHutch
Brakes can do damage to hearing as well, even with muffs. Has something to do with concussive transfer through the cheekbone to ear canal….or some schidt like that.

I shoot and hunt with suppressors because they make the shooting experience “nicer”, doesn’t spook game to the extent a louden-boomer would, allowing follow ups on groups of targets and they are [bleep] cool 😎 .
[bleep] boomers, why would you say that?
Why do you ask?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Two questions.......

Who hunts sub-sonic?

Very cool... what is that caliber?

.308 in a .357 case it is, known as the .30 Sneezer. It likes one hole groups a lot.
Why do you ask?

Because decent men respect their elders?
Might be offended
Posted By: CashisKing Re: supressors - 11/29/22
.308 in a .357 case it is, known as the .30 Sneezer. It likes one hole groups a lot.

Nice...

Some off us did not have the hearing protection options, boomers
Originally Posted by blanket

If you were born before 1945 (boomer range '45-65) you get a pass.
Glad that the blank blank USA has finally made suppressed mainstream for our military, to bad not for it's citizens
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by blanket

If you were born before 1945 (boomer range) you get a pass.
your boomer range is off
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Once you go suppressed you don’t go back

I purchased a Thunder Beast 9. When I bought it, I put my son-in-law on the government blackmail paper. The only real value to me was a .22 LR. It's in his possesion now.

All my rifles have brakes. They do a way better job of recoil reduction. When I hunt I use electronic hearing muffs. I see the bullet impacts.

At the range I use pugs and ear muffs.

are you actually trying to kid with me? your would rather wonder around the woods with muffs on? seriously? I wouldn't. I guess I dunnno what to say about that. a brake doing a better job of recoil reduction? I simply disagree emphatically. in fact I think if you need to have a brake on your rifle, you're shooting too much cartridge. F brakes, I hate it when people have them on rifles at the range. it sends a blast concussion across the entire shooting benches. IMO a 22LR is one of the most disappointing things to suppress. I have a 10-22 that suppression doesn't actually help much with. but I have a M&P 22 compact pistol that is quiter than a nail gun suppressed. its because the same ammo can't hit supersonic from the pistol but does from the rifle. kinda weird like that.

I have a 17 fireball that, you can actually see the ripple of the coyotes body through the scope when it takes a hit from the hydrostatic shock. an ultra 9 is a very large suppressor. since you bought it, the movement has been toward shorter and fatter cans. while I have a sico harvester 300 that is almost that long. I can see why a guy wouldn't want to tote it on a hunting rig if they have to carry the rifle very far. I have an ultra 5 for that, small and light weight, enough suppression to knock the sound and recoil way down, I also have a TBAC dominus if I want more suppression.

I would suggest giving the can another try on some different guns. cans aren't cheap, they end up being about $1000 for each one once the dust settles. but I flat out will not have a rifle that I own and shoot with any regularity uncanned. its that big of a difference across the board.
We were born after ww2
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: supressors - 11/29/22
I shoot deer regularly with a suppresser since they became legal in Michigan....for shots under 70 yards....Cutting Edge Bullets 250 gr. .452 Handgun Raptor with a plastic tip in a Christensen Arms 450 Bushmaster doing just over 1000 fps....its so quiet you can hear the bullet impact....
I have shot bucks feeding that the other deer with them didn't run at the shot....

Suppressers are great for deer control shooting....I have shot several at under 50 yards using one....
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: supressors - 11/29/22
That suppressors are regulated any stricter than lawn mower mufflers is just plain stupid.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: supressors - 11/29/22
No thanks.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

smile smile

Hahahaha 🤣

Careful. Your jealousy is eating at your brain again.

BTW- my grass needs mowing. Get your dick skinners around that lawn mower.

Lol.

smile smile

Hahahaha 🤣

Learned enough to put several M away. How about you, dickless?
Posted By: TRnCO Re: supressors - 11/29/22
I think this is the first time I've seen where someone that bought a suppressor wasn't looking to buy at least one more.

I won't and don't shoot without one. The positive from using them far out weighs the negative.
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I think this is the first time I've seen where someone that bought a suppressor wasn't looking to buy at least one more.

I won't and don't shoot without one. The positive from using them far out weighs the negative.

The OP is into muzzle breaks... The kind that deafen children in sound proof rooms 3 miles away.

He even tried to build his own and blew it all to hell. laugh I wish I could find the thread with that photo in it. It was hilarious! smile
Originally Posted by TRnCO

The OP is into muzzle breaks... The kind that deafen children in sound proof rooms 3 miles away.

He even tried to build his own and blew it all to hell. laugh I wish I could find the thread with that photo in it. It was hilarious! smile

There used to be a guy that came out to the local range who was one of these Nutty Professor types, thinking he was going to get rich off of some muzzle break he was experimenting with. He would come out, take two or three shots, and pack up and leave. Nut bag.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: supressors - 11/29/22
My suppressors all have Muzzle Brakes, you would be surprised how Quiet and almost no recoil.

Not a great picture but look close and you can see the Brake, they do add about 1 1/4" to your over all barrel length . Rio7
Posted By: nahma_mich Re: supressors - 11/29/22
I wish they had supressors for a shotgun. I blew out my hearing in the 70's trap shooting without hearing protection. Didn't know any better. Now I have 75% hearing loss in both ears.
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
I wish they had supressors for a shotgun. I blew out my hearing in the 70's trap shooting without hearing protection. Didn't know any better. Now I have 75% hearing loss in both ears.

They do.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: supressors - 11/29/22
Sico makes shotgun cans. They are huge though
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: supressors - 11/29/22

smile smile

Hahahaha 🤣

Oh? Hit a nerve did I Boomer?

Tell us, did you learn from the time you left a Glock in a public restroom and drove off without it?

Tell us, how far did you drive before going back to ask if anyone found it?
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: supressors - 11/29/22
One in hand, two in the pipeline.

Best money you can spend on hunting and shooting IMO
Posted By: bowfisher Re: supressors - 11/29/22
^^^

Yes, Only sweat pant wearing, mouth-breathing, Old Milwaukee swillin' rednecks shoot un-suppressed anymore...If I never shoot another round without a can , it will be just fine with me. I wont be without one.

To be able to kill you own food is one thing, to be able to kill well, is another level. To be able to kill well, silently....well that just makes one smile.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Why do you ask?

Because decent men respect their elders?

Respect is earned, not doled out like welfare. You should know that, Officer.
I’m no spring chicken and my father is technically a boomer.
Maybe I shouldn’t throw all boomers in the same group, but the old farts on this site sure make it easy.

BOOM ON!!

smile smile

Hahahaha 🤣

Oh? Hit a nerve did I Boomer?

Tell us, did you learn from the time you left a Glock in a public restroom and drove off without it?

Tell us, how far did you drive before going back to ask if anyone found it?

Have you moved out of mommy's yet or you still punching holes in the single wide? Get a job? Are you back with your "wife"?

Happy to play along, Brokedick.

I never had anything against you, but if you want to take a swipe at me simply because I'm a boomer, you better put your big boy pants on, dude.
© 24hourcampfire