Home
Posted By: las All electric...... - 01/10/23
Time to start hoarding gas kitchen ranges, boys. They is gonna ban them, in the name of climate change, greenhouse gas and home pollution. Heavy on the last, and "helping the poor."

Emphaziing the last two as more palatable than the old worn out crap on climate change. I don't know about you- but ironically, nearly all if not all of my electricity comes fro NG powered plants. And off- the grid places don't have electricity- so I burn wood and use propane.

Oh, those evil hydrocarbons!

Oh yeah, they are out to "help the low-income people", because they (according to them) mostly use gas because its' cheaper than electric, and offering $600 help to buy an electric range.

You can't make this chit up!
Posted By: hanco Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
Glad I put a 220 volt plug just in case
Posted By: Raeford Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
If only AlGore and John[the horse] Kerry could get their hands on that very first cavemen that realized what fire could do.......
Posted By: sidepass Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
Wife and I are shopping for a new gas range next week because of the impending changes . The azzhat in Sacramento is pushing the issue.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
Haha.

What about the rolling / involuntary blackouts??
Posted By: rost495 Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
Originally Posted by hanco
thats falling for it. I"ll just fight for the gas stove. They can KMA. I refuse this green BS totally.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
Some scientific type like mathman could probably tell us that the kitchen gas range ia the best bang for the buck. Steam gen plants I have read are about 50% efficient and gas turbines about 60%. One would think direct flame on pan would be pretty efficient. Induction is ballyhooed lately but I think you need special cookware. Kinda like not counting a 25g battery replacement in a Tesla.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
neighbor to the West.

I think that thing about the direct flame being more efficient was proven a long time ago. Some law in physics about losing energy every time one changes it from one form to another. I think some of these folks making the rules didn't pay attention in HS science classes.

RE: the indoor pollution thing. How am I still alive? I grew up in a house with gas wall heaters, gas stove (which was sometimes used to quickly take the chill off the kitchen), a mother who smoked a pack a day, a father who smoked a 5 pack of cigars a day, myself smoking since I was 10 (until I was 34 or so). smoking was common in grocery stores and restaurants and so on?

Anyone I know, that has cooked on gas prefers it to electric. They concede an electric oven, especially the fancy convection ones, are probably better for baking/roasting but when it comes to cooking on top, they would rather have a flame. My wife watches many of those home improvement shows, and the "Win a Dreamhouse" programs. Any guesses as to what kind of high end ranges they put in those, for the most part?

I can't convince my wife that going to the expense of putting in a concrete pad for a tank, plumbing it into the house, and getting a gas range is the best thing we could do. So I live with the glass top electric stove this place came with, and it bugs the crap out of me that each element seems to have it's own idea as to what "low" or "medium" is. When I make pancakes on the two large burners, same cast iron comal/griddle on each element, I have to adjust one side nearly two notches lower than the other to get the same heating. With a gas stove I can look at a flame and know just what's going on under the griddle. Oh well, happy wife, somewhat unhappy Geno.

I may have to get more tin foil, and a bigger hat to line with it. Maybe do the whole house? I'm starting to think this crap may be more about control than just someone's outlandish ideas about "If it will save one child" .

How's the weather over there? That Pineapple Express seems to have zeroed in on the Central Coast recently. Cal Poly SLO got nearly 7" of rain in less than 2 days, area in the hill above San Luis Obispo got 11"+. We got maybe 1/2' but on top of the snow which melted in the rain, we came close to overtopping the culvert on our road at our seasonal creek. I hope your scheidt ain't getting ready to wash away, We certainly need the moisture.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
They want to cancel everything that works and replace it with their agenda which doesn't
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: All electric...... - 01/10/23
Just a bunch of libcrat horse sh….t. The gas stove ban will go way just like a lot of other hair brained ideas. If they ban gas stoves they will have to ban wood stoves and candles too.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
I've got an old mustard yellow Magic Chef gas stove in storage. I think I'll survive.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
I don’t think there’s any self-respecting chef in the first world countries that would ever be caught dead cooking on an electric stove.

Maybe the EPA, outside of the Chevron defense, while they’re writing regulations that carry the force of law without the authority to do so can write exemptions for Michelin star chefs and White House or congressional chefs.

I’m looking forward to seeing this new and improved electrical grid that can support the heating and cooling demands while also charging 100% of the vehicles on the road and powering 100% of the stoves nationwide.

Electricity is free and since it magically appears with the flip of a switch it’s completely clean and without any negative impacts.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by hanco
thats falling for it. I"ll just fight for the gas stove. They can KMA. I refuse this green BS totally.
Or planning for a future sale in case new buyer doesn't want gas.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by sidepass
Wife and I are shopping for a new gas range next week because of the impending changes . The azzhat in Sacramento is pushing the issue.
What do you do with the new stove when your azzhat in Sacramento cuts the gas?
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
AFA gas, there’s no legal requirement to have an externally exhausted stove vent when using natural gas here.

Just more BS to force us onto electricity, which they can easily control to maintain control.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
It is pathetic how stupid Kalifonia is. They barely have enough electric now, but with the electric car mandate and now forcing people to go electric stoves, what could possibly go wrong?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Are there any stats comparing home CO deaths to electrocutions?
Posted By: rainshot Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
No thanks. I'll keep the gas.
Posted By: BubbaG Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Anyone I know, that has cooked on gas prefers it to electric. They concede an electric oven, especially the fancy convection ones, are probably better for baking/roasting but when it comes to cooking on top, they would rather have a flame. My wife watches many of those home improvement shows, and the "Win a Dreamhouse" programs. Any guesses as to what kind of high end ranges they put in those, for the most part?

"High end" being the key. Unless you are willing to spend the money to get a good one, I would rather cook on electric. The cheapest electric stove is way better than the cheapest gas stove. I would not spend less than $1k on a gas stove, probably more. The "High End" ones like viking start at around $5k. I have cooked on several gas stoves that sucked which makes me gun shy of them. I lived in an apartment that came with a gas stove. It was like cooking on a coleman stove. One of the most annoying things with that one was the fact that you couldn't turn down the flame low enough without the flame going out. Cooking rice without burning it was almost impossible. So, if you are planning on buying one, pay as much as you can afford.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
It is mostly about feeling good to look green, coupled with "not in my backyard".

Cali knows quite well that more gas fired power stations will be built to cover the shortfalls.

But, they will not be built in Cali.

Idaho and Nevada each have lots of desert land available for the building of power plants.
Posted By: deltakid Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
Just a bunch of libcrat horse sh….t. The gas stove ban will go way just like a lot of other hair brained ideas. If they ban gas stoves they will have to ban wood stoves and candles too.

I think that is probably on their radar, just have not been thrown out to the public yet.
Posted By: Redneck Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
And they'll expand it to ensure you can only use the range via solar panels.

Originally Posted by GringoCazador
There are already places in urban areas that ban wood stoves.. Next will be fireplaces...

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I don’t think there’s any self-respecting chef in the first world countries that would ever be caught dead cooking on an electric stove.
Nah - they'll just add severe regulations regarding air quality ventilation requirements that'll ad millions to the cost of operating a restaurant...
Posted By: las Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Both my rentals and my house are plugged in for both gas and electric. The rentals use gas dryers, heating, and electric stoves. House is all gas.

I fixed one (electric) yesterday. Maybe. Indicator light would not turn off when the burners were off. Found the right switch (thank you U-Tube- next to be banned?), pulled all the wiring to it to run the multi-meter (just shutting off the power didn't reset it), and for some reason that opened the indicator contact again. When I reconnected things pending ordering a new switch, it's working again. For now.

I don't like working with electric chit- I don't understand it well enough to be comfortable beyond very basic...... But it beats paying some bozo $150/ hour - at least before the fire..... smile

Fairbanks sits in a bowl, with an inversion problem. They have if not out-right banned wood, at least they severely discourage it. When I was at UAF in early 70s, 50 below weather would result in "ice-fog" pollution downtown so thick one could barely see the stop light glow in mid-intersection from the curb. So, some places, it makes sense.
Posted By: kennyd Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
The study had an agenda. Ban fossil fuels. Our house had an option for gas line to kitchen and dryer in addition to the 220, we took it. Dont forget the gas water heater
Posted By: BLG Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by BubbaG

"High end" being the key. Unless you are willing to spend the money to get a good one, I would rather cook on electric. The cheapest electric stove is way better than the cheapest gas stove. I would not spend less than $1k on a gas stove, probably more. The "High End" ones like viking start at around $5k. I have cooked on several gas stoves that sucked which makes me gun shy of them. I lived in an apartment that came with a gas stove. It was like cooking on a coleman stove. One of the most annoying things with that one was the fact that you couldn't turn down the flame low enough without the flame going out. Cooking rice without burning it was almost impossible. So, if you are planning on buying one, pay as much as you can afford.

This is nonsense. You may have had a bad experience with that one stove, but by no means should you need a $5k stove to cook on. My gas stove/oven slide in was $1300 bucks 6 years ago. None of the issues you say have been seen on my end. I have had gas ovens/stove tops for more than 50 years. None of them were "high end"

I will concede an electric oven seems to maintain the selected heat better than gas. However, I pulled out the electric wall oven from our current house 26 years ago.

Clyde
Posted By: BubbaG Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by BLG

This is nonsense. You may have had a bad experience with that one stove, but by no means should you need a $5k stove to cook on. My gas stove/oven slide in was $1300 bucks 6 years ago. None of the issues you say have been seen on my end. I have had gas ovens/stove tops for more than 50 years. None of them were "high end"

I will concede an electric oven seems to maintain the selected heat better than gas. However, I pulled out the electric wall oven from our current house 26 years ago.

Clyde

I am assuming you just quickly scanned over what I wrote and missed what I said and that you don't have comprehension issues or dyslexia. I said I would not spend less than $1K on a gas stove. You spent $1300 on a stove. Don't mean to be captain obvious here but $1300 is more than $1k. The k means thousand. I never said you need to spend $5k on a stove. I said high end stoves start at $5k. That was in reference to the high end stoves they put in the dream homes.

Posted By: ribka Re: All electric...... - 01/11/23
Almost Every restaurant, especially the high end Michelin stars, around the world cook on gas

Cooking on electric ranges, especially the flat tops sucks
Posted By: Valsdad Re: All electric...... - 01/12/23

Maybe if I paid as much as I could afford for an electric one I could find one that works as well as gas. In other words, I could see what amount of heat was going to the pan instead of relying on inaccurate knobs which don't mean the same thing for burners of the same size?

I'd rather cook on a Coleman propane stove than the electric (Westinghouse) we have.

A "medium" flame, adjusted on similar burners is still a medium flame. Medium on electric stoves has no meaning as scheidt might burn on one burner and barely simmer on the other.

The only reason I mentioned "high end" is because those TV shows aren't going to show what regular folks put in their houses. As I said, most anyone I know who has cooked on gas prefers them to electric..................except now I know you don't.
© 24hourcampfire