Home
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle.
I'm sure it was meant for mileage ratings.
I have the option of turning it off but need to do it every time I drive, wish there was a way to permanently disengage it.
Just an old mans rant.
You can. Find the @button. It will let your engine idle the way its supposed to
I turned mine off permanently. I can turn it back on but I never have. You can get a small device that plugs in to your OBD port (under your steering column) that will turn it off or if your a little more handy you can put a jumper on the back of the switch that will keep it turned off.
If it is an F-150 you simply unplug a plug under the dash. Disables the feature so you don't have to do it every time you start the truck. Only have to plug it back in when I pull a trailer because it is somehow connected to the trailer lights. For other makes and models there are several different ways to either disable them or an add on chip to plug in that stops it. Do a google search for your model and how to disable it. I agree, it is a pain in the ass. They claim it improves your mileage but after I unplugged mine I actually gained a couple mpg.
I as well don't care for it.
My new trucklet has it. In 5K miles I think it has shut itself off six times. If you let it creep a bit before you come to a stop, it never shuts off.
Originally Posted by jbmi
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle.
I have the option of turning it off but need to do it every time I drive, wish there was a way to permanently disengage it.
Just an old mans rant.
Once you stop and the engine stops, let up on the brake and the car will restart. You just have to get your foot back on the brake before you move and the car will stay running from that point on. At first it was annoying but now it's a nothing burger.

kwg
My 19 Silverado has it, a pita.
Buncha frigging whiners.
Does it really affect your driving? No.

This is an old man yelling at the clouds flavor to it.
Who’s the poor bastard that gets to crawl under there and replace a starter ever 2 years??

Oh just use your “cradduck codd” to pay for it

I try to get 10-15 years out of starter
I’ve often wondered what if it don’t start back?
Wife’s BMW has it. I don’t drive it very often, but when I do it’s a nonissue. Some of you guys need to be shopping nursing homes.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Who’s the poor bastard that gets to crawl under there and replace a starter ever 2 years??

My understanding is it doesn’t use the starter. It fires off whatever piston is at TDC. To me a bigger concern would be a lack of oil pressure/drain back at every stop sign. Either the engineers have that problem figured out or are willing to trade the decreased longevity for increased fuel economy.
Pards wife had a battery issue on her Durango.

Somthing about maybe sat too long in winter then she had some stop and go traffic to deal with. Battery wasn't fully charged from sitting.

May have been more to it but that is what I recall.
Just spend $50 and buy a wiring harness bypass. Never think about it again.
My Porsche and Audi both have it. I push a button to disable it.
Seems a bit abusing on a starter that just cost me $300 for a 6.2 on a escalade
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Buncha frigging whiners.

I have rented vehicles that have it on them.

And yes it does affect the driving. There is a noticeable pause and delay in trying to take off quickly from a stop.

It is more than an annoyance. Glad you could contribute. Even though your contribution equated to a swing and a miss.
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I’ve often wondered what if it don’t start back?
You’re pushing it or you ain’t going anywhere.
Don’t like it as I don’t believe it’s good for a diesel to turn off and on so much
Saw a video clip on a new Buick where they added a pigtail to the hood latch sensor that told it the hood was open. If hood was “open” the auto stop feature wouldn’t engage. No warning lights, no issues. I assume most of the GM products are similar.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Buncha frigging whiners.

And yes it does affect the driving. There is a noticeable pause and delay in trying to take off quickly from a stop.

It is more than an annoyance. Glad you could contribute. Even though your contribution equated to a swing and a miss.
Wrong.
It’s on our 2022 Honda CR-V. Not even the slightest bit of a problem with it in driving. If you feel you need to have millisecond reaction time to blast off from a traffic signal or stop sign, just wiggle the steering wheel, or let off the brake enough to cause it to start again, it will stay running. The 1/4 to 1/2 second it takes to start isn’t an issue in real life. You guys act like you’re at the frigging dragstrip trying to cut your reaction time down to beat your opponent to the far side of the intersection.
Again. Whiners
I dislike it a great deal. I'm training myself to turn it off every time I start.
A starter does have a lifetime. In a regular use a car would start a few times a day as you would start it and drive somewhere. Now some genius believes he is saving the earth by putting a start/stop feature in the car to save the atmosphere by killing the polluting nasty motor for a few seconds at a stop sign.

So you drive this car down the street one time and the starter is engaged probably 50-60 times more than normal. How in the Hell can this make any sense. A car in the United States is not adding enough emissions into the atmosphere that not running is going to improve anyone’s life or life expectancy…
Just an old mans rant.

I agree 100%. I bought a Pulsar engine tuner for my 2020 GMC and permanently disabled it. The only reason I ever want my engine to shut off is because I turn it off.
I agree.
Digging deeper it looks like some systems use a starter and some use compression. None keep them oil pump running but they act like they have engineered ‘better’ bearings that can handle it.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
A starter does have a lifetime. In a regular use a car would start a few times a day as you would start it and drive somewhere. Now some genius believes he is saving the earth by putting a start/stop feature in the car to save the atmosphere by killing the polluting nasty motor for a few seconds at a stop sign.

So you drive this car down the street one time and the starter is engaged probably 50-60 times more than normal. How in the Hell can this make any sense. A car in the United States is not adding enough emissions into the atmosphere that not running is going to improve anyone’s life or life expectancy…

Good post. As for the start/stop feature on my vehicles, that is called a key. I have total control of that. The way it should be. Life is great. On a further note, I drove one of my buddies F150's with this stupid start stop feature. I hated the sob. I drove across town and the damn thing turned off and restarted 10 times. That starter sure as hell doesn't last as long as mine does.
GF's car has it. She drives about 15-20 miles a week, total. All urban/city driving. Lots of stop/starts. Car's 10 years old now - zero starter issues. Round trip for work - for her, car start/stops maybe 8 times.

The last time I replaced a started in anything? It was an 88 Chevy PU with the 4.3 Vortec and the replacement was in 94 or so. It's been a while. Not saying they don't fail but the starter in her car is probably quite a bit better than the POS GM put in that Chevy back then.

I fret them not.
The beautiful thing about a Toyota hybrid is the lack of so many of the ancillary things that break...

No starters, no alternators, no fan belts yada yada...

The MPG is good as well... 63+/- on the Prius, 52+/- on the Camry, 45+/- on the RAV4 and 37+/- on the Sienna.

Hybrids and Cummins diesels... hard for me to think of needing much else here in my world.

Worry free chit... is the only way to roll IMHO.
Had a 16 hybrid Chevy pickup with that stop start thing ,at about 100k it malfuncti9ned and wouldn't start unless I put the truck in park and turned the key off and restarted the truck, kinda scary in a lot of traffic. Chevy took it in under warranty and replaced the module, hadto drop the transmission cause the computer stuff sits on top of it ,took 3 weeks to get it back from the dealership.
I had a BMW that had that feature. I paid a guy a little to reprogram it along with a bunch of other stuff like the seatbelt buzzer so I didn’t have to worry about it.

I don’t think it hurts the starter or engine but it’s an annoyance that does nothing to improve my driving experience so I don’t see any reason to allow it to annoy me. I couldn’t care less about an automaker’s CAFE ratings or the $1 in gas it might save me over the time I own the vehicle.

Fortunately for just about every vehicle made there’s a hack to get rid of it. The OP didn’t say what type of vehicle it is but there’s probably a forum for that model and somebody there will know of a hack to get rid of it or can point you to a $20 gizmo that will disable it.
Again, the bypass that plugs into the wiring harness is easy.

Here's one company. There are many others.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com
My 22 4 Runner doesn’t have it. Don’t like or want it.
Our Toyota Highlander has it. There's a dash button to turn it off but you have to push it each time you start the car. It won't hold the setting. With our type of driving, it's no big deal. Unless you drive like Parnelli Jones, it'll be running before your foot gets from the brake to the gas.
Wifeys has that, don’t like it
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Again, the bypass that plugs into the wiring harness is easy.

Here's one company. There are many others.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com

Yep, I installed something similar on my 2022 Silverado. Took maybe 30 minutes to get access to the back of the switch and install the pigtail. It leaves the autostop feature in the last last setting, so mine stays off unless I press the switch.
If you knew it was there when you bought it, then WHY did you buy it??

Just me, but I would never have some car/truck that kills the engine at every stop... It's a totally BS feature that should have never been, period..
Always interesting to see who comes out in defense of this shît. Same as the traction control. Same folks by and large getting jabs and voting for the Romney’s
Look up what it is you are driving on YOU TUBE ask the Question and there's a video on how to disable the start/stop system, we have done this on Fords, Chevy, Jeeps, and Dodge Vans. it works and doesn't cost anything. Rio7
Glad the chip wasn't available when I bought my truck. Won't be having it retrofitted.
Just an old mans rant.
What they don't mention is it has to wear out your engine quicker because oil takes a second to regain pressure every time you start the engine.....not to mention the starter. The other thing that will wear out an engine quicker is those systems that cut out certain cylinders during driving. You can't have temperature differences like that inside a motor without problems in the long run.
The Talley so far is not in favor of the feature. It appears to me those that are OK with it, don’t seem to realize this is just one more idea forced upon the American citizen for nothing more than control.

Headlights that can’t be turned off
Seat belt chimes
Door lock bells
Key warnings

Then you can start a list on fuel and electronic components that impair you ability to simply start the car and drive it.

DEF diesel exhaust fluid that has been forced upon us for an unnecessary addition of fluid injected into the exhaust that isn’t needed for pollution mitigation that doesn’t exist.

The list is long and totally unnecessary, but one at a time our rights are eroding to nothing.

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle

Annoying? Yes. Most annoying? Not hardly.

Electronic in and out of 4 wheel drive.

Push button on and off starter.

Hands free driving.

Damn car beeps at you and lights flash when someone gets within 10 feet of you.

Cruise kicks off when you get within sight of the car in front of you.

Steering wheel vibrates when you’re changing lanes.

Nearly impossible to do all but very minor repairs.

Headlights automatically dim/bright.

DEF

I’ll think of more….

Didn’t read Shrap’s till after I posted, we must be thinking alike on this.
Had a rental BMW 330 for a month down in FL. I thought it was very distracting in stop and go traffic. as others have said, you can push a button and turn it off, but you have to do that every time you start the vehicle. I test drove a Cadillac a few years ago that had that feature, I think the sales guy said it couldn't be turned off. I think that was just a particular year or two where that was the case.
Originally Posted by Redneck
If you knew it was there when you bought it, then WHY did you buy it??

Just me, but I would never have some car/truck that kills the engine at every stop... It's a totally BS feature that should have never been, period..

AMEN!!!!^^^^^
Originally Posted by K1500

My understanding is it doesn’t use the starter. It fires off whatever piston is at TDC. To me a bigger concern would be a lack of oil pressure/drain back at every stop sign. Either the engineers have that problem figured out or are willing to trade the decreased longevity for increased fuel economy.

That's a good point regarding oil pressure. What about turbo cooling given that so many new vehicles of all sizes and fuel types are getting turbos?
It won't be long before you can't get a new car without it. Maybe it's already here. It's part of car companies trying to meet the Clean Air Act by cutting emissions at stop lights.
I've watched a bunch of videos showing how to disable it in my Toyota Highlander. I've tried them all, usually involving a series of things like pushing the brake, honking the horn, turning the a/c off and on, and reciting the alphabet. None have worked. I still have to push the button on the dash every time I start it.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It won't be long before you can't get a new car without it. Maybe it's already here. It's part of car companies trying to meet the Clean Air Act by cutting emissions at stop lights.
I've watched a bunch of videos showing how to disable it in my Toyota Highlander. I've tried them all, usually involving a series of things like pushing the brake, honking the horn, turning the a/c off and on, and reciting the alphabet. None have worked. I still have to push the button on the dash every time I start it.

Need a wiring harness bypass that plugs in the back of the switch. Your favorite search engine will show you the way.
No big deal, I start the Pacifica and push the disable button.
Today's cars have so much hi tech crap on them that it's ridiculous. We recently bought a 2021 Acura RDX (wife's car) and you need an instruction manual in order to operate all the gadgets it contains.

The craziest thing on it is, it's got a system that sends motor noises through the stereo system when you step down on it.

,...artificial motor noises,....no schitt.

She likes the car. But she doesn't use 10% of the gadgetry it has. I never drive it. In my opinion, cars reached their zenith with the 2011 Toyota Camry. That's what I drive.

It's a car. It drives smooth. It has a comfortable interior. It doesn't break down. It gets 30 mpg out on the interstate driving 80.

I've got 4 vehicles,..the RDX, An Acura TL, A good old Ford F-150, and the Camry. I use the truck if I'm doing truck things. Otherwise, I take the 12 year old Camry.

Interesting footnote. I gave $14,500 for the Camry in 2014. It had 26K miles on it. Go to the Carmax page and low milage 2011 Toyota Camrys are bringing $2000 more than I paid for one 9 years ago.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Just an old mans rant.

I agree 100%. I bought a Pulsar engine tuner for my 2020 GMC and permanently disabled it. The only reason I ever want my engine to shut off is because I turn it off.

I bought the Pulsar LT for my 2021 GMC. I bought it to turn off the DFM. By doing that, the auto stop start is also disabled. It's not really a program change as much as it is a signal bypass. My truck now runs on all 8 cylinders all of the time. Throttle response was also adjusted. Runs like a different truck. Also, by running on all 8 all of the time, there is no lag when trying to pass on the interstate. If truck was running at reduced cylinders, there was a delay in pulling out of that mode, and then finding the right gears. One of the better investments I've made.

Clyde
New auto technology has simply outpaced old guys. If you have to read the owner's manual should probably stick to the 1985 Astro minivan.
More my style.[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Originally Posted by losttrail60
New auto technology has simply outpaced old guys. If you have to read the owner's manual should probably stick to the 1985 Astro minivan.

Dash of 2021 Acura RDX. The steering wheel is covered with buttons and little rollers for various functions and that's before you even consider the controls on the dash. That little square area in the center of the console is a finger controlled mouse pad to operate the computer.

It would be interesting to know how many people run these cars up the side of a tree because they're fiddling with all the buttons instead of driving the damn car.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I figure we'll be buying a starter sooner rather than later on ours

Our car requires a second battery to run the on/off feature. If that battery is disconnected it doesn't work

but you get a warning message on your display system.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Dash of 2021 Acura RDX. The steering wheel is covered with buttons and little rollers for various functions and that's before you even consider the controls on the dash. That little square area in the center of the console is a finger controlled mouse pad to operate the computer.

It would be interesting to know how many old people run these cars up the side of a tree because they're fiddling with all the buttons instead of driving the damn car.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fixed it
Originally Posted by K1500

Sure sounds like a starter on ones I have pulled up next to at a light. And the older ones are sounding pretty loose.
It would be interesting to know how many old people run these cars up the side of a tree because they're fiddling with all the buttons instead of driving the damn car.

Oh shut up. You can't even operate a manual transmission and you want to talk about how to drive.

Fuggin' with buttons isn't driving.

Oh shut up. You can't even operate a manual transmission and you want to talk about how to drive.

Easy old timer, find yourself an old 3 on the tree that leaks oil.

Have a flat tire, you'd get on the bluetooth and call 911.
Buncha frigging whiners.

Wrong.
It’s on our 2022 Honda CR-V. Not even the slightest bit of a problem with it in driving. If you feel you need to have millisecond reaction time to blast off from a traffic signal or stop sign, just wiggle the steering wheel, or let off the brake enough to cause it to start again, it will stay running. The 1/4 to 1/2 second it takes to start isn’t an issue in real life. You guys act like you’re at the frigging dragstrip trying to cut your reaction time down to beat your opponent to the far side of the intersection.
Again. Whiners

A stupid solution to a non-existing problem that comes with a crammed down your throat cost to a buyer who does not want, or need such annoying crap (like backup cameras).

Changing the radio station on a new car you would need an 8 year old to show you how.

Changing the radio station on a new car you would need an 8 year old to show you how.

No,...I had to learn how to change radio stations when Millennials created a demand for some whining by somebody who calls himself "Post Malone".

There they sit,....waiting on some old boy to come change their tire while listening to Post Malone whine on the radio.

Millennials in a nutshell.
Renegade and Cherokee have it
Annoying.
Just get in and press button to start car, press another button to disable auto stop/ start.

Guess if youre gonna buy or lease a vehicle, only keep a couple yrs.....whatever component wear doesnt matter.

Back up camera? Needed w the poor visibility of some vehicles.
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Buncha frigging whiners.

Wrong.
Again. Whiners

A stupid solution to a non-existing problem that comes with a crammed down your throat cost to a buyer who does not want, or need such annoying crap (like backup cameras).

I have a manual - no start/stop on the Taco but you'll take my back up camera and 360 camera from my cold dead hands. Love that sucker.
Buncha frigging whiners.

Wrong.
Again. Whiners

Exactly. Literally the equivalent of an old man yelling at clouds. My 2022 Denali and my wife's 2021 Tahoe both have it and it is a none issue. SMH
Originally Posted by hookeye
Renegade and Cherokee have it
Annoying.

Back up camera? Needed w the poor visibility of some vehicles.

Yeah, cars were not made with poor visibility until 2018! Understand that some cars need them but government did not need to mandate them on all automobiles. An option - yes, forced upon us all - no.
I've driven quite a few rental cars with it, some are better than others at being ready to go when you are, especially when you are stopped and need to move into traffic quickly. Just releasing the brake a bit will do the trick and I generally don't mind it on cars. My 2020 Chevy Silverado has it and I turn it off every time I start the truck, it can have a bit of a lag and it does not bolster my confidence. Also, when it's your personal vehicle, not a rental, every time that starter connects you know it's going to need attention down the road. To me, it's no big deal, just one more button to push before I drive.
My Cherokee and Renegade have crappy visibility at rear/rear corners. Backup camera is needed.

Turn around and look, plus use camera. Both, every time.

My old XJ and ZJ jeeps had good back visibility.
Today's cars have so much hi tech crap on them that it's ridiculous. We recently bought a 2021 Acura RDX (wife's car) and you need an instruction manual in order to operate all the gadgets it contains.
I don't know 10% of what our car will do. We've had it 3 years and just last week I discovered that it has heated wiper blades. I don't know how they heat as there are no wire hookup or heat elements in them. There's nothing in the manual about needing special blades, either.
The manual is over 700 pages. No way can anyone learn all of that.
My 2022 Denali and my wife's 2021 Tahoe both have it and it is a none issue. SMH

Of course it is a non issue. First you have to have a drivers license, then you have to start the car. Two things you can’t do.

What is even funnier is claiming you’re married. No way in the world anyone would marry your dumb ass.

What a moron!
Originally Posted by shrapnel
My 2022 Denali and my wife's 2021 Tahoe both have it and it is a none issue. SMH

Of course it is a non issue. First you have to have a drivers license, then you have to start the car. Two things you can’t do.

What is even funnier is claiming you’re married. No way in the world anyone would marry your dumb ass.

What a moron!

Did that wheel chair your fat ass got pushed around in that time you stubbed your toe have auto stop?

LOL
I'm starting to rember it everytime I start up
Our Explorer has it. It is mostly a non-issue and VERY easy to override when it is. If the engine cuts off I can't get my foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator fast enough for there to be any delay. If I want to keep the engine running I simply slightly release the brake as I'm slowing and it never cuts off. The only time it does bother me is in a lot of stop and go traffic where i have to stop at a stop sign at every intersection. Then I push one button and it stays on all the time.

The auto dimming headlights are more of a headache. But once again turning a knob 1/2" fixes that.

Time will tell, but the starters are supposed to last as long, or longer than conventional starters. We'll see.
© 24hourcampfire