Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Glad the chip wasn't available when I bought my truck. Won't be having it retrofitted.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jbmi
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle.
I'm sure it was meant for mileage ratings.
I have the option of turning it off but need to do it every time I drive, wish there was a way to permanently disengage it.
Just an old mans rant.
What they don't mention is it has to wear out your engine quicker because oil takes a second to regain pressure every time you start the engine.....not to mention the starter. The other thing that will wear out an engine quicker is those systems that cut out certain cylinders during driving. You can't have temperature differences like that inside a motor without problems in the long run.

Last edited by reivertom; 02/06/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Talley so far is not in favor of the feature. It appears to me those that are OK with it, don’t seem to realize this is just one more idea forced upon the American citizen for nothing more than control.

Headlights that can’t be turned off
Seat belt chimes
Door lock bells
Key warnings

Then you can start a list on fuel and electronic components that impair you ability to simply start the car and drive it.

DEF diesel exhaust fluid that has been forced upon us for an unnecessary addition of fluid injected into the exhaust that isn’t needed for pollution mitigation that doesn’t exist.

The list is long and totally unnecessary, but one at a time our rights are eroding to nothing.

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle

Annoying? Yes. Most annoying? Not hardly.

Electronic in and out of 4 wheel drive.

Push button on and off starter.

Hands free driving.

Damn car beeps at you and lights flash when someone gets within 10 feet of you.

Cruise kicks off when you get within sight of the car in front of you.

Steering wheel vibrates when you’re changing lanes.

Nearly impossible to do all but very minor repairs.

Headlights automatically dim/bright.

DEF

I’ll think of more….

Didn’t read Shrap’s till after I posted, we must be thinking alike on this.

Last edited by muleshoe; 02/06/23.

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had a rental BMW 330 for a month down in FL. I thought it was very distracting in stop and go traffic. as others have said, you can push a button and turn it off, but you have to do that every time you start the vehicle. I test drove a Cadillac a few years ago that had that feature, I think the sales guy said it couldn't be turned off. I think that was just a particular year or two where that was the case.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Don't know who invented this piece of chit, but it's the most annoying thing on a new vehicle.
If you knew it was there when you bought it, then WHY did you buy it??

Just me, but I would never have some car/truck that kills the engine at every stop... It's a totally BS feature that should have never been, period..

AMEN!!!!^^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by slumlord
Who’s the poor bastard that gets to crawl under there and replace a starter ever 2 years??

Oh just use your “cradduck codd” to pay for it

I try to get 10-15 years out of starter

My understanding is it doesn’t use the starter. It fires off whatever piston is at TDC. To me a bigger concern would be a lack of oil pressure/drain back at every stop sign. Either the engineers have that problem figured out or are willing to trade the decreased longevity for increased fuel economy.

That's a good point regarding oil pressure. What about turbo cooling given that so many new vehicles of all sizes and fuel types are getting turbos?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It won't be long before you can't get a new car without it. Maybe it's already here. It's part of car companies trying to meet the Clean Air Act by cutting emissions at stop lights.
I've watched a bunch of videos showing how to disable it in my Toyota Highlander. I've tried them all, usually involving a series of things like pushing the brake, honking the horn, turning the a/c off and on, and reciting the alphabet. None have worked. I still have to push the button on the dash every time I start it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It won't be long before you can't get a new car without it. Maybe it's already here. It's part of car companies trying to meet the Clean Air Act by cutting emissions at stop lights.
I've watched a bunch of videos showing how to disable it in my Toyota Highlander. I've tried them all, usually involving a series of things like pushing the brake, honking the horn, turning the a/c off and on, and reciting the alphabet. None have worked. I still have to push the button on the dash every time I start it.

Need a wiring harness bypass that plugs in the back of the switch. Your favorite search engine will show you the way.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
No big deal, I start the Pacifica and push the disable button.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Today's cars have so much hi tech crap on them that it's ridiculous. We recently bought a 2021 Acura RDX (wife's car) and you need an instruction manual in order to operate all the gadgets it contains.

The craziest thing on it is, it's got a system that sends motor noises through the stereo system when you step down on it.

,...artificial motor noises,....no schitt.

She likes the car. But she doesn't use 10% of the gadgetry it has. I never drive it. In my opinion, cars reached their zenith with the 2011 Toyota Camry. That's what I drive.

It's a car. It drives smooth. It has a comfortable interior. It doesn't break down. It gets 30 mpg out on the interstate driving 80.

I've got 4 vehicles,..the RDX, An Acura TL, A good old Ford F-150, and the Camry. I use the truck if I'm doing truck things. Otherwise, I take the 12 year old Camry.

Interesting footnote. I gave $14,500 for the Camry in 2014. It had 26K miles on it. Go to the Carmax page and low milage 2011 Toyota Camrys are bringing $2000 more than I paid for one 9 years ago.

B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I'm sure it was meant for mileage ratings.
I have the option of turning it off but need to do it every time I drive, wish there was a way to permanently disengage it.
Just an old mans rant.

I agree 100%. I bought a Pulsar engine tuner for my 2020 GMC and permanently disabled it. The only reason I ever want my engine to shut off is because I turn it off.

I bought the Pulsar LT for my 2021 GMC. I bought it to turn off the DFM. By doing that, the auto stop start is also disabled. It's not really a program change as much as it is a signal bypass. My truck now runs on all 8 cylinders all of the time. Throttle response was also adjusted. Runs like a different truck. Also, by running on all 8 all of the time, there is no lag when trying to pass on the interstate. If truck was running at reduced cylinders, there was a delay in pulling out of that mode, and then finding the right gears. One of the better investments I've made.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
New auto technology has simply outpaced old guys. If you have to read the owner's manual should probably stick to the 1985 Astro minivan.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
More my style.[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by losttrail60
New auto technology has simply outpaced old guys. If you have to read the owner's manual should probably stick to the 1985 Astro minivan.

Dash of 2021 Acura RDX. The steering wheel is covered with buttons and little rollers for various functions and that's before you even consider the controls on the dash. That little square area in the center of the console is a finger controlled mouse pad to operate the computer.

It would be interesting to know how many people run these cars up the side of a tree because they're fiddling with all the buttons instead of driving the damn car.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figure we'll be buying a starter sooner rather than later on ours

Our car requires a second battery to run the on/off feature. If that battery is disconnected it doesn't work

but you get a warning message on your display system.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Dash of 2021 Acura RDX. The steering wheel is covered with buttons and little rollers for various functions and that's before you even consider the controls on the dash. That little square area in the center of the console is a finger controlled mouse pad to operate the computer.

It would be interesting to know how many old people run these cars up the side of a tree because they're fiddling with all the buttons instead of driving the damn car.

Fixed it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by slumlord
Who’s the poor bastard that gets to crawl under there and replace a starter ever 2 years??

Oh just use your “cradduck codd” to pay for it

I try to get 10-15 years out of starter

My understanding is it doesn’t use the starter. It fires off whatever piston is at TDC. To me a bigger concern would be a lack of oil pressure/drain back at every stop sign. Either the engineers have that problem figured out or are willing to trade the decreased longevity for increased fuel economy.

Sure sounds like a starter on ones I have pulled up next to at a light. And the older ones are sounding pretty loose.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It would be interesting to know how many old people run these cars up the side of a tree because they're fiddling with all the buttons instead of driving the damn car.

Oh shut up. You can't even operate a manual transmission and you want to talk about how to drive.

Fuggin' with buttons isn't driving.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Oh shut up. You can't even operate a manual transmission and you want to talk about how to drive.

Fuggin' with buttons isn't driving.

Easy old timer, find yourself an old 3 on the tree that leaks oil.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.