Home
That
Better off building muscle, I reckon - muscles increase metabolism rate (need more energy to run them).

Years ago when I tried doing weights with some seriousness, and even with an increase in calories, the first thing to go was fat.
You’re not wrong, Mouser.
no.
You effectively cannot. You have to change diet. You can spend 3 hours at the gym and ruin it by common snaking. What you eat and how much you eat must change substantially. The cardio helps in many ways but if you don’t change you can be like the dedicated tankers that spend 12+ hrs a week at the gym and just as fat.
Weight loss is in the kitchen. Decided to eat healthier back in august. Cut waaaaay down on sodium and sugar. Nothing crazy just eat one meal a day and a protein bar or 2 if I get hungry. Lost 52 lbs since august. I have a bit of a physical job but haven't seen the inside of a gym in 25+ years. With that said I try to eat well 5 days a week and eat whatever on the weekend in smaller portions. I also cut booze out. Does you no favors in the weight loss dept.
You can’t out work a Shiddy diet. Cardio is good! But you need to alter your eating habits too. Take it from someone who has tried. Cut out the carbs if you really want to lose weight.

Ron
Originally Posted by smallfry
You effectively cannot. You have to change diet. You can spend 3 hours at the gym and ruin it by common snaking. What you eat and how much you eat must change substantially. The cardio helps in many ways but if you don’t change you can be like the dedicated tankers that spend 12+ hrs a week at the gym and just as fat.
Absolutely true. You simply can't exercise enough to stay ahead of your diet, if you eat poorly.
I could eat anything I wanted doing 20+ hours of cardio a week training for an ironman.

Thing is, the data shows that doing that much cardio isn't good for you anyhow. At my current age, walking is the best way to stay fit......

..... walking away from the fridge
Assuming a poor diet with large calorie surplus over your base metabolic rate for a regular non-exercising day? It’d take a lot of cardio to offset that. Usually about 3,500cal worth to shed a pound of fat. If you were eating at your regular BMR consistently, you could do 500cal of cardio per day to loose a pound a week. Most folks choose to create the weekly deficit with a combo of eating several hundred calories a day below BMR and combining that with intentional exercise, as opposed to just relying on one method.

In my opinion and experience, it’s optimal to use strength training as a large component of your exercise, combined with shifting to a diet that is slightly below BMR in calories but heavily made up of protein. This allows the body to retain and even increase skeletal muscle while losing weight, so that most of the weight shed is fat, not a mix of fat and muscle. Think “lose fat” not “lose weight”. Again, this is optimal but not doable for some.
Originally Posted by goalie
I could eat anything I wanted doing 20+ hours of cardio a week training for an ironman.

Thing is, the data shows that doing that much cardio isn't good for you anyhow. At my current age, walking is the best way to stay fit......

..... walking away from the fridge

Truth...
A couple things. Most people doing “cardio” aren’t doing schit. You really have to push yourself. Run faster than you are comfortable. Interval train and all that stuff. If you burn enough calories, you’ll lose weight. Cardio can be part of that. But you have to modify your diet as well and eat less, or at least don’t eat more calories than you burn.

Strength training helps too.
15 to 17 miles per week, running. Exercise and limited carb intake. I'm 57 yrs of age and weight 195 soaking wet. Not the picture of health but, still moving.
Watching fat guys doing cardio is entertaining, especially when they are 700 lbs + lol.
You need a daily caloric deficit to lose weight. That can be achieved by drastic increases in burning calories (i.e. intense exercise for extended periods of time), or regulating calorie intake (i.e. smaller protions of lower calorie foods), or combine the two.

I've lost almost 50 lbs in the past 10 months by regulating my diet strictly, keeping track every day of calories, protein, fat, and carbs eaten. I also began weight training and walk 2-3 miles every day.

At my age, 55, and what I do for a living, super intense workouts or extended periods of running/bicycling aren't realistic, so the caloric deficit has had more to do with my weight loss than the exercise.

But I'm stronger now, feel better, and don't get as winded doing things. I'm in better health now than at any time in the past 15-20 years.

The keys are patience, and discipline.

Cardio can be one tool in the toolbox, but only doing cardio and nothing else would be like trying to build a house with just a hammer. I used a low carb all natural, zero sugar diet, combined with intermittent fasting, and fasted cardio to lose 180 lbs in 2 years after age 50.
I've lost 110 # in the last year,i cut out carbs,salt,sugar,all junk.
I eat one meal a day,dinner ,2lbs. steamed veggies,8oz.meat,a non dairy yogurt with fruit for dessert.I walk 6 miles a day,every day.That s my cardio.
Originally Posted by superlight17b
I've lost 110 # in the last year,i cut out carbs,salt,sugar,all junk.
I eat one meal a day,dinner ,2lbs. steamed veggies,8oz.meat,a non dairy yogurt with fruit for dessert.I walk 6 miles a day,every day.That s my cardio.

That's awesome! I had knee problems bad enough that I used cycling for my cardio. A cardio workout needs to get you breathing hard enough that you would have to catch your breath to talk. It's not necessary to sustain that level very long at all. It's best to ramp it up and down intermittently during the workout.
Eating one meal per day has resulted in 65 lbs lost last year from January thru July with ZERO exercise. A carnivore diet of red meat, butter, sour cream, bacon, eggs, cheese, lard, etc. has gotten me there. Animal fat, animal products is where it's at!!

Now, for maintenance, I walk one mile 5 days a week. That coupled with one meal a day has me feeling better than ever at 64. Going to bed on an empty stomach improved my sleep immensely. I started this Carnivore/ One meal per day at 268 lbs. I now hover between 205-208.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Eating one meal per day has resulted in 65 lbs lost last year from January thru July with ZERO exercise. A carnivore diet of red meat, butter, sour cream, bacon, eggs, cheese, lard, etc. has gotten me there. Animal fat, animal products is where it's at!!

Now, for maintenance, I walk one mile 5 days a week. That coupled with one meal a day has me feeling better than ever at 64. Going to bed on an empty stomach improved my sleep immensely. I started this Carnivore/ One meal per day at 268 lbs. I now hover between 205-208.

One great thing about such a diet I found is that I didn't have any hunger or low energy issues even with 20+ hours between meals, and high activity levels. It's a lot easier not to eat when you aren't hungry. Carbs seem to trigger hunger for me and would almost always cause me to overeat.
If you want to get truly lean, zone 2 HR workouts over 45 minutes are super efficient at burning fat. But that's talking about going to sub 8% body fat from 10% body fat, not losing 25+ pounds. And, again, the data on endurance length cardio stuff isn't very good at all in terms of longevity of life, which, to me, is a huge red flag. I'm happy to do 30 minutes to an hour running or on the bike 5 times a week and strength stuff 4 times a week now.

This is a completely different discussion depending on where you're starting from. I'm 6 feet and consider myself obese if I get up to 200 pounds. Some people would be doing great getting down to 200 pounds from where they're at.

The bottom line is basically the same as it's always been: get off the couch and don't overeat.
In the gym I see lots of overweight people lifting weights and using resistance machines.

But not on the stairclimbers.
Being 55, losing weight has changed for me. Have lost 12 pounds in the last month and half. It takes a combination of everything, but simply put, you must burn more calories than you eat.

I can not exercise with the intensity I used to, but am doing 20-30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week. Stay between 70-80% of max heart rate. When weather allows I will walk for 60-90 minutes.

Core work is the same 5 days a week.

Weightlifting frequency has dramatically decreased as has intensity. Just plain hurts the joints. Building/maintaining muscle is important.

Diet is huge, have cut out alcohol, excess sugar, eating two meals a day. Any carbs are before my workout, with protein after. Trying to go at least 12 hours fasting every day.
following all this... good info from different perspectives
Originally Posted by smokepole
In the gym I see lots of overweight people lifting weights and using resistance machines.

But not on the stairclimbers.

I see them doing both at my gym. But.... if I was to gather up all the people on the cardio machines and compare them to the folks on the weight equipment, the cardio folks are generally the more overweight and "soft" people. There are certainly some very round-ish guys lifting regularly, but odds are good that they are also eating and drinking a ton more calories than they need. They also tend to have a fair bit of muscle under the fat layer. I've seen folks get pretty lean and strong without much dedicated cardio, mostly by dieting right while still lifting regularly.

And yes, a good stairclimber machine is no joke, especially when you ramp up the speed or double-step it. Has whipped my tail on many occasions.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We do 6 days a week alternating running and lifting days.
30 to 40 minute workouts but weight loss has been a struggle.
I have cut out booze and chocolate, avoid sugar, no soda and still tough.
Cholesterol was high last test, I need to test again.
Diet is oatmeal for breakfast salad for lunch and dinner we rotate a meat with a vegetable.

this pretty much true....but if a person doesn't think exercising alone cant burn weight, look up Michael Phelps diet.

probably would not be considered healthy. just like when a person is young and busting your ass at a job...I know when I was framing I could and would eat what and when I wanted....never got fat.

got older activities went down and didn't change eating habits...weight gain.

as goalie said...eat less get off the couch...bob
For those avoiding sugar, it is important to look at the glycemic index of your food as many foods, particularly processed foods effect the body the same as sugar.

I challenge anyone wanting to lose weight to eat only meat, eggs, and greens and only drink water, black coffee, and unsweet tea for one month. The fatter the meat the better. You will likely feel low energy for 3-5 days but if you stick with it, without any cheating, and I mean not even a taste, I will bet money you drop 10-12 lbs. and still eat as much as you want.
Originally Posted by CRS
Being 55, losing weight has changed for me. Have lost 12 pounds in the last month and half. It takes a combination of everything, but simply put, you must burn more calories than you eat.

I can not exercise with the intensity I used to, but am doing 20-30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week. Stay between 70-80% of max heart rate. When weather allows I will walk for 60-90 minutes.

Weightlifting frequency has dramatically decreased as has intensity. Just plain hurts the joints. Building/maintaining muscle is important.

Diet is huge, have cut out alcohol, excess sugar, eating two meals a day. Any carbs are before my workout, with protein after. Trying to go at least 12 hours fasting every day.

I am 62.

I lost 60 lbs in about 2 - 2 1/2 months.

What I did was I started a vert strict intermittent fasting program. Quit drinking and sugar at the same time. I did drink a lot of sugar free electrolytes for my salts, potassium and hydration.

A lot of Cardio: I biked 7.5 miles, then walk for an additional 3 miles every single day.

Never felt better in my life!

KB
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

this pretty much true....but if a person doesn't think exercising alone cant burn weight, look up Michael Phelps diet.

probably would not be considered healthy. just like when a person is young and busting your ass at a job...I know when I was framing I could and would eat what and when I wanted....never got fat.

got older activities went down and didn't change eating habits...weight gain.

as goalie said...eat less get off the couch...bob

I do agree as a general principal, but I want to add that just eating less and exercising more is probably not the best strategy for anyone needing to lose more than 30 lbs. I feel it's better for those wanting to lose more to train the body to burn fat. If you adopt an extremely low carb diet for 3 months, the mitochondria of the cells actually change from carb burning optimized to fat burning optimization.
RH Clark shredded a whole human off himself with diet.

I would listen to him.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I would listen to him.
I no expert but I did get to 170lbs, having lost 180lbs. I did it by diet and exercise only in slightly less than 2 years, starting at age 50.

I can tell anyone what I did but the best advice I can give is to spend every extra minuet studying diet and exercise. I stopped watching any TV and all social media. Anything I watched or read had to do with diet and exercise. It was, more than anything else, the new information that caused me to make those new choices and motivate me to succeed.
Very interesting info/insight here.

Good job on you guys that lost bigtime bodyfat. Talk about a life-changer.....
Originally Posted by RHClark

I would listen to him.
I no expert but I did get to 170lbs, having lost 180lbs. I did it by diet and exercise only in slightly less than 2 years, starting at age 50.

I can tell anyone what I did but the best advice I can give is to spend every extra minuet studying diet and exercise. I stopped watching any TV and all social media. Anything I watched or read had to do with diet and exercise. It was, more than anything else, the new information that caused me to make those new choices and motivate me to succeed.

That's awesome.

I got into it once with a friend while we were running around the lakes in Minneapolis. He made some smartass remark about a bigger lady "jogging" slowly that we passed.

That's not ok with me. Never, ever will you hear me say something about a fat person who's out trying to not be fat. Save the ridicule for the ones on the couch with Cheeto dust on their fingers......
It’s possible to consume large amounts of calories and not gain weight.

Michael Phelps is known for consuming 8000-10,000 calories per day. He weren’t fat.
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by CRS

I am 62.

What I did was I started a vert strict intermittent fasting program. Quit drinking and sugar at the same time. I did drink a lot of sugar free electrolytes for my salts, potassium and hydration.

A lot of Cardio: I biked 7.5 miles, then walk for an additional 3 miles every single day.

KB

But you are in too bad of shape to hunt now?
Originally Posted by CRS

I am 62.

I lost 60 lbs in about 2 - 2 1/2 month

KB

I am trying very hard to make this a lifestyle change with no drastic diets/exercise routines. If I can continue to drop weight at this rate, I will be in the 190's by August. 190's is where I have typically felt my best.

I am a solid 5'11" and do not have a thin body type.
I got into it once with a friend while we were running around the lakes in Minneapolis.

Trifecta = 10 miles

Quadraphenia = 14 miles

Give or take.

I would listen to him.

That's awesome.

I got into it once with a friend while we were running around the lakes in Minneapolis. He made some smartass remark about a bigger lady "jogging" slowly that we passed.

That's not ok with me. Never, ever will you hear me say something about a fat person who's out trying to not be fat. Save the ridicule for the ones on the couch with Cheeto dust on their fingers......

Anybody trying to lose weight needs all the encouragement they can get. When I started trying to exercise it was rough. My first set of leg lifts, I managed 3. On my first bike ride, I didn't make it out of sight of the house before I had to get off and walk. My second year I could do 500 leg lifts and I rode my bike 360 days, averaging more than 100 miles a week. I didn't get much motivation from home, but I did watch a lot of videos on YouTube about older people doing amazing things. I figured I could do what someone else did and I know anybody could do what I did.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Michael Phelps is known for consuming 8000-10,000 calories per day. He weren’t fat.

This discussion is about the 95% though. My diet doing IM training in my late 30's isn't relevant at all to what I should be doing now.

I lost weight eating 6k calories a day at the end. I was getting sick of eating so much and was still losing weight.

Now, even if I had the time, I wouldn't be doing 20-25 hours of cardio a week.
Originally Posted by JOG
I got into it once with a friend while we were running around the lakes in Minneapolis.

Trifecta = 10 miles

Quadraphenia = 14 miles

Give or take.

The three lakes on a weekend is about the perfect run with lots of motivational scenery. Ten miles is the longest I'm interested in running anymore.

I usually stay out where I live and run on the trails though.
For those avoiding sugar, it is important to look at the glycemic index of your food as many foods, particularly processed foods effect the body the same as sugar.

I challenge anyone wanting to lose weight to eat only meat, eggs, and greens and only drink water, black coffee, and unsweet tea for one month. The fatter the meat the better. You will likely feel low energy for 3-5 days but if you stick with it, without any cheating, and I mean not even a taste, I will bet money you drop 10-12 lbs. and still eat as much as you want.

Absolutely. +1000. Down 20 since the New Year. Approaching target weight.

Ribeye and kale salad last night, done eating at 8. Having unsweetened mate now. Calories at noon. 16 hours fast daily.

For me, combining keto with intermittent fasting is easy, pretty natural for my lifestyle, as I have never been a breakfast eater, and it WORKS.

Very vigilant about reading labels and knowing what I am eating. The above is 100% spot on, at least IME.
The plural of ancedote is not data.
Anyone over the age of 40 is low on thyroid and probably has high sugar. Reason exercise alone doesn't work. Exercise causes decrease in stress, which lowers the amount of cortisol being made. Cortisol regulates the ratio of rt3 to t3 when t4 is present. rt3 is made to block the action of t3 so the body doesn't burn itself out. so the body loses wt. ,Person loses wt. stops the exercise but still eating a bad diet- weight comes back on.
Mid chain fatty acids such as bacon fat, olive oil, contain more energy per unit of measure than sugar, but doesn't stimulate insulin. Starting t4 and metformin helps both the thyroid and the late mature onset diabetes. Adding GLPs (semiglutide) to this regimen helps even more. It helps reset the glycogen cycle much like fasting. Fat conversion to Acetyl Co A of lipids as an energy source gains is advantage from bypassing insulin release. Other sources of energy are citric acid, and vinegar. Avoid any fructose as if it were poison (which it is). The mitochondrion production of energy mentioned above is the Krebs cycle, or TCA cycle.
I started with the intermittent fasting program. But once I progressed to a four-hour eating window, I just decided to go to one meal per day. I like that better.
in order to loose weight the correct way takes cardio and diet, after the desired weight loss go with weightlifting but continue cardio to stay trim. took me 6 months to lose 60 lbs by doing cardio and strict diet, this was 40 years ago and stayed trimmed since. it take discipline.
Originally Posted by ironbender

This discussion is about the 95% though. My diet doing IM training in my late 30's isn't relevant at all to what I should be doing now.

I lost weight eating 6k calories a day at the end. I was getting sick of eating so much and was still losing weight.

Now, even if I had the time, I wouldn't be doing 20-25 hours of cardio a week.
Agreed. My point is that there are a lot of variables and that “blanket statements are never right”. wink
Just that it’s possible.

No one here is going to swim the tens of thousands of meters Phelps did, nor run the miles they might have when younger.

Sensible habits, both eating and exercising, are the key, IMO.
I had a barn re-roof project last fall where I spent all day (12-14 hours) on and around the barn roof, for 3 or 4 days a week. Diet was otherwise "normal"...quality homecooked food, breakfast/lunch/dinner. This lasted about 7 weeks. I went from about 235 to 220, and my annual bloodwork for work's health plan (done shortly after) showed the lowest BP (108/50-something) and cholesterol (173?) numbers I've ever had, not that I care a great deal about them. The barn work wasn't hard, per se, but there were moments of exertion and odd body positioning while working from ladders, and I was constantly going up and down ladders. Heart rate stayed up all day, I imagine. I don't know what defines "cardio" but perhaps that does.

That's a scenario where you can outwork a "normal" diet...it requires all-day work.

Out-training a diet is more like a successful backpack hunting trip, or multi-hour multi-event-per-day training by an elite athlete. 4-6 hours of HARD work per day, and you'll lose weight regardless of how starch-loaded is your diet.

Most folks are not in a spot where they can out-work a "normal" diet, so to get anywhere weight-wise when "work" is only an hour a day, the diet must actively exclude sugar and starch. A small amount of easy carbs will mess up a whole day metabolically.
Read Dr. Jason Fung, "The Obesity Code."

Myths and misgivings will be busted.

ALL foods stimulate insulin production.

"What to eat. When to eat."
I agree that lower-carb is generally better for more sedentary individuals, but I also don't fear some carbs preceding a tough strength-training session. Energy for making quality lifts can fall a bit flat for some if they don't have those carbs in the tank. Everybody is different, but I don't dispel the notion that "tactical carbs" can have their place, especially for those that are not severely overweight. I don't feel that a bowl of oatmeal is a horrible move for a guy that is about to go lift hard if it allows him to complete all his planned work and still fits within his calorie needs for that day.
Originally Posted by JPro
I agree that lower-carb is generally better for more sedentary individuals, but I also don't fear some carbs preceding a tough strength-training session. Energy for making quality lifts can fall a bit flat for some if they don't have those carbs in the tank. Everybody is different, but I don't dispel the notion that "tactical carbs" can have their place, especially for those that are not severely overweight. I don't feel that a bowl of oatmeal is a horrible move for a guy that is about to go lift hard if it allows him to complete all his planned work and still fits within his calorie needs for that day.

You make a valid point. My response to that is that it would be absolutely correct for someone already fit enough to see their abdominal muscles. Good natural carbs can be beneficial for a workout. I would argue that most of us underestimate how much fat we need to lose simply because our whole society has gotten so much fatter over the last few decades. Look at some westerns from the 50's and the average male size during WW1 and WW2.I used to be that the fat kid in school was the singled out individual different from the heard. These days the skinny kid is the odd man out.

There are also several athletes experimenting with the benefits of long-term Ketosis. Once the body has changed its cell structure (around 3 months) there is an evolutionary boost you get from Ketosis. It seems we evolved so that somewhere around 24-48 hours without any calories the body gets a supercharge. It's theorized it happens because a hunter would need it to be optimized to stalk and hunt and thus survive. Basically, the body juices you up on its own produced drugs to make you feel stronger, faster, lighter, and more focused, basically everything operating optimally in an effort to find food to survive.

I've done many miles on a bike in that state. I had plenty of energy and not at all hungry until I started eating afterwards. All I'm saying is that most of us would benefit from fat loss and it is possible to have good energy even without carbs when your body adapts.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by CRS

I am 62.

KB

What do you mean???
Originally Posted by WTM45

no --- all foods don't stimulate insulin production, this is the old glycemic index theory.

insulin production and secretion are two different things, and we haven't even gotten into the immune systems response to this to say nothing about missing genetic messengers etc. in the metabolism cycle.

the term carbohydrate is defined differently by biologists, enzymologists, and MDs, nut-tritionists ,so you must decide where this and who this is coming from.

while I'm glad the body building/health folks have been the testing ground for synthetic hormones, (growth mainly), and peptides to get around current FDA laws on public use,, it must not be underestimated that obesity is a major world wide problem.
To understand metabolism regardless of the if, ands and buts about everybody is different, start with an understanding of the cortisol, cortisone, hyrdocortisone, (same molecular formula different name by different disicpline) and the Circadian rhythm.
When you have that down, look into its role in renal failure, stress, behavior and how it controls t4 conversion to rt3 and t3.
If you really curious by now, you will have figured out the Soliton waves that control the peptide release from their protein binding sites and derived the rate equations and get back to me so we can get you your Nobel prize.
Losing weight is part of the equation. Estimates vary, but 80% seems like a solid number for the people who lose weight only to gain it back. Why is that? There are a number of factors. From my view those that gain it back have several things in common. They made weight loss an all consuming venture. That venture resulted in a lifestyle that was too austere, too regimented and simply wasn't fun. As in all things, moderation is key. As previously identified, the weight loss formula is simple. More calories burned than calories consumed equals weight loss. Dial back on portions, adjust intake to achieve balance, fiber is useful, find exercise that you enjoy and allow yourself occasional indulgences.

Engaging in fun exercise is key. Obviously, for me that's bicycling. It's one of the better calorie burning exercises. It's also easy on the joints provided proper fit and gearing. It's most fun when I can escape traffic and get out into nature. Calorie calculators are all over the map, but I probably burn 700-800 calories per hour bicycling at my pace, and I like it. It's not an activity that I begrudgingly indulge.
Originally Posted by Etoh

no --- all foods don't stimulate insulin production, this is the old glycemic index theory.

insulin production and secretion are two different things, and we haven't even gotten into the immune systems response to this to say nothing about missing genetic messengers etc. in the metabolism cycle.

the term carbohydrate is defined differently by biologists, enzymologists, and MDs, nut-tritionists ,so you must decide where this and who this is coming from.

while I'm glad the body building/health folks have been the testing ground for synthetic hormones, (growth mainly), and peptides to get around current FDA laws on public use,, it must not be underestimated that obesity is a major world wide problem.

On page 192, the Dr. states "All foods, not just carbohydrates, stimulate insulin. Thus, all foods can cause weight gain."
On page 189 the Dr. also states "But all foods cause insulin secretion." On that point, you seem to be in agreement.
Yes, I know the differences in production and secretion. My mistake in using the word "production" above.
It is all about the hormone levels.

I appreciate your contributions here as well!
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Have you ever done cardio to lose weight?

Yes.
Lets look at it from a science point, not an MD or nutritionist. Insulin is released by the K ion Amp voltage exchange at the membrane of the B cell. This is called bursting. This bursting is regulated by the oscillation patterns of the other hormone levels you have mentioned. The type of and amount of release is regulated by the blood glucose level. This bursting activity is a non linear wave function in conjunction with the bursting activity of the other hormone levels. To say that is food or more generally nutrient conditional is to make a very complicated non linear dynamic problem at least 10 knowns, with at least 10 unknowns operating in second and third order derivatives and telling me its a straight line.
Lets look at it from a science point, not an MD or nutritionist. Insulin is released by the K ion Amp voltage exchange at the membrane of the B cell. This is called bursting. This bursting is regulated by the oscillation patterns of the other hormone levels you have mentioned. The type of and amount of release is regulated by the blood glucose level. This bursting activity is a non linear wave function in conjunction with the bursting activity of the other hormone levels. To say that is food or more generally nutrient conditional is to make a very complicated non linear dynamic problem at least 10 knowns, with at least 10 unknowns operating in second and third order derivatives and telling me its a straight line.

So, what's your point? How does all that bloviating translate to what the majority of people need to do to lose weight and how does cardio effect the situation? I thought that's what we were talking about. I didn't get anything useful from your posts in this thread yet.
Obviously what the majority of people need to lose weight isn't working or we wouldn't need to bloviate.

the old definitions don't provide enough information to solve the problem.

never ask a cat a Rhetorical question---- its always the same answer
I guess we could blame McDonalds, they invented immediate gratification
Obviously what the majority of people need to lose weight isn't working or we wouldn't need to bloviate.

the old definitions don't provide enough information to solve the problem.

never ask a cat a Rhetorical question---- its always the same answer

I agree most aren't losing weight but does that mean we need to ignore any antidotal evidence, throw our hands up and quit? Do you have a point? I'm respectfully asking.
I guess we could blame McDonalds, they invented immediate gratification

There's one good one. How about just don't eat any processed food and that takes care of that?
The best way to lose weight is not to gain it in the first place. Contrary to common advice, weigh yourself every single day and take action if you see yourself creeping up a bit.
I've always heard to do cardio in the morning to take advantage of your body fasting overnight. This requires your body to burn fat reserves. Do your weightlifting later in the day after your body has fueled up during the day.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The best way to lose weight is not to gain it in the first place. Contrary to common advice, weigh yourself every single day and take action if you see yourself creeping up a bit.

I weighed every day during my 180lb loss. Don't freak out over 5 lbs. either way in a couple days, but it's good to see how you are trending week to week based on every day. It's a lot easier to get control again if you don't wait 2 weeks.
A common terminology for all medical conditions would be a good start. no latin terms

there is no antidotal evidence to ignore, the whole argument assumes Ceteris paribus, all things being equal (CF like math problems - this from the field of Logic)

I stopped eating doughnuts because of the many bad things about them. I went straight to BearClaws. go big or go home

start by getting some real medical numbers, sugar levels, hormone levels, etc.

pick the point you like the most.

Now, we're getting somewhere!

Cardio is not the sole answer nor is "dieting" or "counting calories."

Balance.
A common terminology for all medical conditions would be a good start. no latin terms

there is no antidotal evidence to ignore, the whole argument assumes Ceteris paribus, all things being equal (CF like math problems - this from the field of Logic)

I stopped eating doughnuts because of the many bad things about them. I went straight to BearClaws. go big or go home

pick the point you like the most.

I agree individual assessment would be very valuable. It seems to me however that if an individual was concerned and disciplined enough to seek individual assessment, they most likely would have never reached a point where weight was a huge problem. Since the masses are more in the levels of obesity, I believe it is possible to agree on a few things that will help the majority. Most would benefit from fewer calories, more time between consumption of calories and better-quality calories containing maximum nutrition. To accomplish that an all-natural diet along with intermittent fasting seems to be a very useful tool. If wanting to maximize fat loss low carb can be added.

I'm not one that thinks all carbs should be eliminated forever. Many natural carbs are very beneficial, but I do think to maximize weight loss low carb is a good approach as long as the diet is varied enough to supply good nutrition.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Balance.

Paul
I totally agree that balance is the best route. I do however feel that balance is better at maintaining a healthy weight than losing a massive amount of weight. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. Someone who knows balance won't need to lose 100 lbs. or more. Likely no more than 30 lbs. or more. For small amounts of weight loss balance is the best approach.
I eat a balanced diet of salads, meats and some carbs. Four days a week I walk at a fast pace and 8-10% incline 2+ miles on a tread mill. Two days a week, I work out on a weight machine. I’m 72 and in pretty darn good shape.
I’ve never dieted.
RickBin (whoever that is) gave the best advice but it was skipped over.

Read the label, know what's in it.

Todays food supply is poisoned with chemicals that mimic estrogen, BHA, BHP (search internet). Especially fructose. It has gotten better, but you should get better and complain about products that do not list ingredients, or at least FDA min. Synthetics are not bad, what's bad is you don't know what they are.

Get a genetic mapping, and I don't mean where your ancestors came from.

I had one showing I had a glutathione enzyme link missing. Meaning I am prone to Acalasia and early hearing loss. How did it know I didn't really like to eat, and didn't like noise pollution.

This type of information was not available 10 years ago. Im a preboomer..Forgive me If I make a 20/20 Hindsight logic error, but if I had known this 20 years a go.
I sometimes have to grin when I hear exasperated people, generally women, announce that they guess they will just have to "starve themselves" to lose some weight, because my answer is generally "yeah, you should". To starve something is to give it less fuel that it currently requires, so technically, you can starve by 1% or 50%, but both are "starving". If you are otherwise healthy but have eaten yourself into a drastic surplus, try eating the right foods in amounts you should be eating every day if you were already at your body goal, or maybe a little bit less. That will generally starve off the excess, and likely won't be too awful of a process. It might be slower than some crash plan, and it may need some tweaks here and there, but it'll usually help get extra weight off. **Note: This assumes you are not morbidly obese and at risk of death in the near future.

A typical 50yr old man that is 6ft tall and 230lbs needs nearly 250cal more a day to stay that size versus a 190lb version. So maybe lop off something around 400cal a day off by cutting junk and eating more whole foods, which isn't a crazy tall order and isn't too miserable. Throw in a few exercise sessions and you are dropping around a pound of fat a week for weeks on end without it being a drastic approach. Adjust your calories as the weeks go by and depending on results. Maybe integrate a cheat meal each week if you need it. By the time hunting season rolls around, a guy is down 30-40lbs in that scenario and has established good and livable habits. His body is also not in shock or as predisposed to rebounding.
. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. .

Really?..why can't methodical moderate and steady
achieve goals in significant weight loss?

.. just eating less and exercising more is probably not the best strategy for anyone needing to lose more than 30 lbs. I feel it's better for those wanting to lose more to train the body to burn fat..

Why is 30lb the magical cut off point?

And the body already knows How to draw on adipose
for energy (lipid catabolism/Lipolysis) , that's why it
switches to the fasting state.

TAGs once broken down; Glycerol takes glycolytic path
to pyruvate > KrebC...and FFA components to mitochondria
for generating Acetyl CoA.
It really wasn’t intentional…. 3 years of running, almost 2 years of 70 miles/week in Louisiana…..I lost 3 pounds. I guess that I really wasn’t that obese! memtb
Originally Posted by Starman
. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. .

Really?..why can't methodical moderate and steady
achieve goals in significant weight loss?

.. just eating less and exercising more is probably not the best strategy for anyone needing to lose more than 30 lbs. I feel it's better for those wanting to lose more to train the body to burn fat..

Why is 30lb the magical cut off point?

And the body already knows How to draw on adipose
for energy, that's why it switches to the fasting state.

Put whatever numbers you want on it. I'm just talking generalizations.
What I mean by drastic measures isn't really all that drastic. An old saying is that abstinence is easier than perfect moderation. Someone who is significantly overweight (put whatever number you want on that) has already shown that they have no idea what moderation means. Telling them to just do everything in moderation is about like telling to lose some weight. If they knew how, they already would have.

I believe if you rather tell them to cut out just a few things, it's a lot easier for them to maintain. Personally, I never counted calories or tried to control portions. I ate as much as I wanted whenever I was hungry. I simply stopped consuming any sugar that I could read in a label. I quit any bread, rice, pasta, or potato. By doing these very simple things I completely transformed my Standard American diet of mostly processed foods and sugar, to one of all-natural low carb. I ate as much as I wanted but as I lost approx. 10 lbs. per month, the smaller I got the less I wanted.

There are different ways to lose weight. A person could lose weight on high carb-low fat, or just by eating a sensible balanced diet. What I really want anyone to take from this is that there are different strategies to get as healthy as possible. In the end you can't get away from the fact that your body will only be built on the quality and quantity of food consumed and the physical training you place upon it. If anyone takes these simple guidelines, they can build a diet works for them. Just evaluate yourself honestly and change whatever is necessary to reach your own personal goals.
What I mean by drastic measures isn't really all that drastic.

You said drastic and gave specific threshold numbers, now You are back peddling.
And it seems all your extensive research
hasn't explained to you that ones body already
knows to burn fat as/when required.
A 3-5 mile walk daily with 20-30lbs in a backpack with some hills thrown in will work wonders over time and I would classify that as cardio. Not a short term solution but you can pretty much do any hunt you dream of if you stick with it long term. It'd be hard to not lose some weight if you kept a maintenance diet.
In the end, if you want to be a fit/skinny person, you need to live like a fit/skinny person.

You said drastic and gave specific threshold numbers, now You are backing peddling.
knows to burns fat as/when required.

I think you just want to argue about anything to make yourself feel better somehow. If someone's body was already burning fat as it should there would be no weight loss needed. If you are a fat ass you need to do something different and there are some choices. Pick whatever works, but get to it.
Pickup a book - Bright Line Eating.
Bottom line, no bread, pasta, alcohol, sweets.

Excercise. And count your calories and workout on myfitnesspal.com or similar program.
I will say that keto/intermittent fasting is probably the best short term weight loss plan going.

Long term, you have to be very dedicated. One donut and it’s game on.
You could eat a diet of nothing but Snickers bars and lose weight as long as you ate less calories than you burned. That exact thing has been done and proven. The thing to consider however is, do you want a body built out of nothing but Snickers bars? The best diet will be the one that allows you to maintain a healthy weight and be composed of the most nutrient rich ingredients. You need to think about diet as the thing you need to eat, as opposed to the things you want to eat. Think about what your body needs rather than what it wants. A body builder will have different requirements than a long-distance runner. A 50-year-old morbidly obese guy will have different requirements than a 30-year-old guy that needs to drop 20 lbs.

You said drastic and gave specific threshold numbers, now You are backing peddling.

I think you just want to argue about anything to make yourself feel better somehow. If someone's body was already burning fat as it should there would be no weight loss needed. If you are a fat ass you need to do something different and there are some choices. Pick whatever works, but get to it.
LOL

This from the Campfire Clown that believes nitrites cause cancer and MSG is a man made poison.

You giving advice on dietary health is akin to Alec Baldwin holding a firearms safety training seminar.

Idiot.
I think it is relatively simple:

- don't eat crap, get the right mix of nutrition consisting of protein, good carbs and good fats
- don't eat more than what your body uses
- bike riding, running, stair masters is good exercise to burn calories and if you want to have a body like a grasshopper
- do weights if you want to burn calories and have a body like a man
Originally Posted by steve4102

LOL

This from the Campfire Clown that believes nitrites cause cancer and MSG is a man made poison.

You giving advice on dietary health is akin to Alec Baldwin holding a firearms safety training seminar.

Idiot.

Commentary from another that has nothing positive to say and nothing to add. I'm sorry you are so insecure; you need to put someone else down to feel better about yourself.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by CRS

I am 62.

KB

What do you mean???

You were bitching that your hunting days were over.
... If someone's body was already burning fat as it should there
would be no weight loss needed. ..

A Cheap deflection ..The issue is you claimed one needs to 'train the body' to
metabolize adipose/enter catabolic state.

For all the research you claim to have done You don't seem to even grasp the basics..
then when its pointed out to you , you perceive it as being argumentative.

Perhaps you could start by studying the insulin - glucagon antagonist relationship
and baseline triggers for transition from 'fed to fast' state.
I did when I quit playing football. I did fasted cardio every morning for an hour. Went from 270ish to 200lbs relatively quick. I think I also did a spin class twice a week in the afternoon.

Now mind you I was 20 or 21yrs old and continued lifting weights too. I wasn't a soft 270, was squatting over 500 and benching over 300. So my resting metabolic rate was probably pretty high. It took about 8k calories a day for me to get that big....and my body just couldn't handle the weight.

Low intensity cardio can be used to lose weight, but it must be in conjunction with a caloric deficit.
RH Clark has done what 75% of America needs to do. I remember his pictures. It was the stuff every weight loss scheme would like to sell.

The rest of you have keyboards. No pics.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I did when I quit playing football. I did fasted cardio every morning for an hour. Went from 270ish to 200lbs relatively quick. I think I also did a spin class twice a week in the afternoon.

Now mind you I was 20 or 21yrs old and continued lifting weights too. I wasn't a soft 270, was squatting over 500 and benching over 300. So my resting metabolic rate was probably pretty high. It took about 8k calories a day for me to get that big....and my body just couldn't handle the weight.

Low intensity cardio can be used to lose weight, but it must be in conjunction with a caloric deficit.

At 21 you can go from 5 mountain dews to 3 mountain dews a day and lose 30lbs. 😂
RH Clark has done what 75% of America needs to do...

Clark also likes to cite rodent studies to back
his arguments.

Yet he failed to mention that Ketogenic diet
has shown to aggravate cardiac remodelling
(Left Ventricular Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy)
in hypertensive pathophysiological state rats.
What's more, it revealed that Keto diet increased
mitochondrial ROS production (oxidative stress).
Tag
RH Clark has done what 75% of America needs to do. I remember his pictures. It was the stuff every weight loss scheme would like to sell.

Exactly. And he gets attacked by a range of know it all clowns pretending to be experts in human physiology, biology, and chemistry for sharing his experience. Call it TCB. Typical Campfire Behavior.

The whole diet and health thing is a minefield. Its really hard to be right about everything all the time because there is a lot of misinformation out there. "Studies" are funded by big food and big pharma. You can't patent a whole food low carb diet and if makes people healthy, you can't sell them medicine. That is not good for quarterly earnings reports and stock prices. Then on the other hand, you have the communists who want everyone to be subservient rice, twig, and cricket eaters so they will be easier to control. Males with healthy testosterone levels tend to tell them to GFY, so best tell everyone that beef is bad for you or the planet because beef tends to raise testosterone.

That could be the reasons that studies have shown that upwards of 75 percent of studies are complete horse crap. Someone should do a study on it.
Originally Posted by Calvin

At 21 you can go from 5 mountain dews to 3 mountain dews a day and lose 30lbs. 😂

Probably.

Currently in the process of dropping another 20-30lbs from 220, I'll see how difficult it is in comparison.

Now I'm doing intermittent fasting, eating right, and most importantly drinking only water (no booze).
Different things for different folks / body types.

Me?

I have burn more calories than i take in.

I try to walk every evening. Mornings and evenings on weekends.

Up to 8 miles now. That’s 2.5 hrs or so at the speed i walk. Hit a new best earlier this week. 8.1 miles @ 17.27 mins per mile.

Not a lot of folks want to dedicate that much time.

It’s a lot easier to sit on the couch and surf FB..

Cut out carbs also. I love sweets. That’s that hardest for me. ESP during holidays.. baked goods…
Thanks for this post definitely one of the more interesting ones I've read lately and a nice break from the typical bullshit have you ever threads that have infested this site. I'm 5'11 and fluctuate around 180 without much exercise and consider myself to have a rather healthy build except for a bit of a gut, which I didn't pay much attention to until I started looking at some pictures next to my girlfriend with my shirt off. I will say I've got out about all fast food, with the exception of five guys, I haven't touched McDonald's or Burger King in years, my soda intake is way down usually none a week, I still eat pizza probably once a week. I've started having just a smoothie for breakfast and trying to get that to last until dinner. I'm fairly active without any actual gym time. So where should I go from here?

When I retired I got fat, unhealthy and diabetic.
Changing to an active, low carb lifestyle saved my life.
The weight has been off for 5 years, I will never go back to how I was.
I went from 265 lbs to 193.
At 62, I feel fantastic.
Every aspect of my life is better.

Damn sir hats off to you that impressive, I guess I'm not as healthy as I thought
Sal

Congrats. You basically went atkins/keto correct?
Originally Posted by Dude270
Sal

Yes.
Basically meat and low carb greens.
Read all labels.
In the beginning, the cravings can be overwhelming.
The beginning stages of it are tge most import.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Thanks for this post definitely one of the more interesting ones I've read lately and a nice break from the typical bullshit have you ever threads that have infested this site. I'm 5'11 and fluctuate around 180 without much exercise and consider myself to have a rather healthy build except for a bit of a gut, which I didn't pay much attention to until I started looking at some pictures next to my girlfriend with my shirt off. I will say I've got out about all fast food, with the exception of five guys, I haven't touched McDonald's or Burger King in years, my soda intake is way down usually none a week, I still eat pizza probably once a week. I've started having just a smoothie for breakfast and trying to get that to last until dinner. I'm fairly active without any actual gym time. So where should I go from here?

What do you wish to achieve?

Just to tone things up a bit, and loose the little but of gut I have. I don't need a six pack I will settle for a two pack
RH Clark has done what 75% of America needs to do...

Clark also likes to cite rodent studies to back
his arguments.

Yet he failed to mention that Ketogenic diet
has shown to aggravate cardiac remodelling
(Left Ventricular Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy)
in hypertensive pathophysiological state rats.
What's more, it revealed that Keto diet increased
mitochondrial ROS production (oxidative stress).

That’s interesting stuff. Where did you read that ?
Diet. It's the rare person that can out exercise their fork/spoon. Cut the carbs to around 100 grams per day (if you're counting) which is the equivalent of about 4 slices of bread. Stick to meat and vegetables, especially greens. Low sugar fruit on occasion.

Cardio is fine but need strength/resistance training which causes you to burn calories 24-36 hours after your workout. With cardio generally you only burn the calories while you're doing it.

Drink water but increase gradually. Don't go to 6-8 glasses a day if you only normally drink 1 glass a day.

There's more but you get the idea.

Just to tone things up a bit, and loose the little but of gut I have. I don't need a six pack I will settle for a two pack

Do you plan to do any strength training / lifting, or just make diet changes to get there?

Regardless, if I were you, I'd try to figure out about how many calories you need to stay the same size with one of the online calculators. Then I'd try to average somewhere around 400-500cal a day under that, shifting a lot of my calories to protein/vegetables and some fats. Minimize carb intake, but not with the goal of ketosis. You can use CalorieKing to figure out what your meals are looking like, calorie wise, as in "how many calories are in an ounce of steak or chicken". That is really valuable info to simply be relatively familiar with. So if you eat a lot of vegetables, a fair amount of lean meat, and maybe some protein supplements like whey powder or some clean-ish protein bars, you'll actually feel like you are eating like a normal human being, but can still be in a moderate deficit and giving your body good nutrition. Maybe limit yourself to one meal a week that is cheat-worthy and enjoy it. Over the course of several months, the pounds will likely drift away and your midsection will shrink. I've done it several times when I got lazy on my fitness and diet, allowing my waistline to bump up several inches. Focusing for 3-5 months on simply "behaving" and eating good, clean foods at modest amounts has always taken it back off. It is apparently how I'm supposed to eat to be fit and healthy. I just tend to give in to the temptations of the modern world with regards to rich food, junk calories, being lazy, and drinking too much. Just like your bank accounts, sensible levels of credits and debits get things back in line and make for good day to day operation, it just requires a bit of vigilance and tending/planning. I'm currently undoing the Covid fat gains I've been lazy with. It's leaving at a rate of roughly a pound a week. I should be where I want to be by late spring or early summer.

I'll also add that it helps me to cut out or extremely limit alcohol if I am trying to shed fat. As in 0-2 drinks per week. I plan to lay off totally for 6 months this time and see how I feel. Alcohol reduces the metabolism and limits fat oxidation, but for me it also leads to bad food choices and laziness.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Probably.

Currently in the process of dropping another 20-30lbs from 220, I'll see how difficult it is in comparison.

Now I'm doing intermittent fasting, eating right, and most importantly drinking only water (no booze).

Intermittent Fasting has been my lifestyle for 3 years now, I will never go back to eating more than one meal a day, I eat once a day within a 1 hour window.

Unlike what Nutri System would have you believe, humans did not evolve and are not designed to eat 3 times a day plus "snacks" for some reason I have always hated that word, it sounds GAY!

Not everyone is equal: I mean that in terms of Metabolism.

I have had an exceptionally low metabolism all of my life, always had to watch what I eat or I gain weight, even if I am exercising. 1 meal a day keeps the weight off so its work for me. Other people that have high metabolisms, simply can not eat that way, they feel week, and get headaches. I Can go three days without food without any issues whatsoever.

Another thing that I have learned is that for those of us that live an intermittent fasting lifestyle, it's really important to get your "72 Essential Minerals"

First thing I do every morning is to drink a sugar free electrolyte drink for hydration, salts and potassium and I add "Liquid Minerals" to my morning electrolyte.

Supplementing with Minerals, especially the "72 Essential Minerals" is the most important you will ever do for your overall health.

This is the brand of liquid minerals I take, I highly recommend it for everyone!

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sounds like you aren't doing that bad. Without getting off into the weeds too much I would suggest you just pick up a copy of the latest Atkins book and follow the directions in it. It has various levels of low carb eating plans in it that you do in "phases" and explains the jist of why this way of eating works. Its not written by Dr. Atkins (he ded) but by a couple of low carb experts....Dr. Eric Westman and Dr. Steven Phinney. If you follow it I'd say you are almost guaranteed to get the results you want.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Atkins-You-Ultimate-Shedding/dp/1439190275
I intermittently fast as well. Not really in a real organized way, but I never eat breakfast except for the occasional weekend. So, I’m always going on about 14 to 16 hours between dinner and lunch the next day. Then, usually about once, maybe twice per week my schedule will cause me to skip lunch as well and I’ll go 20 to 24 hours without eating.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Dude270
Sal

Yes.
Basically meat and low carb greens.
Read all labels.
In the beginning, the cravings can be overwhelming.
The beginning stages of it are tge most import.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Thanks for the info
Currently in a 17 hour fast. Grabbing the dirt bike
and headed out. I’m not hungry, have good energy and I’m ready to roll.

IM works well with exercise and a clean diet.
Originally Posted by fester
Currently in a 17 hour fast. Grabbing the dirt bike
and headed out. I’m not hungry, have good energy and I’m ready to roll.

IM works well with exercise and a clean diet.

It works well with a crappy diet like mine once you train yourself that you don’t really need very much food. The average American could probably go a week without or more without food and no ill effects. We’re vastly over fed.
Just an FYI
If you want the maximum benefit from Autophagy to clean up free radicals and older cells not functioning as well, don't take in any calories in any form during the fast. Water, unsweet tea, and black coffee is fine. There is disagreement on how many calories will prevent that level of deep autophagy, but I would rather know for sure I'm getting the maximum benefit.

It is theorized that it takes carb burners approx. 24 hours to enter into this level of autophagy but that ketone burners can enter it within 12 hours.

Just another FYI
Red meat does increase mTOR levels which is beneficial in building and repairing muscle. It can however promote other growth, as in tumors, particularly in individuals living more sedentary lives, not building muscle.
Back to OP.

I read or someone told me an approach to weight loss and associated workouts.

Set a goal, say lose 30#. Set to dieting, Atkins, keto, low/slow carb, whole 30, paleo, whatever you choose.

Start your diet without exercise. Plan to lose 10# or so before you add in physical activity, especially cardio. Reasoning being that activity drives hunger, especially cardio. That could lead to immediate failure and a lot of people give up when they don't have success.

So, get yourself a small win, start to change your metabolism and then add activity in later when you are moving in the correct direction.
Back to OP.

I read or someone told me an approach to weight loss and associated workouts.

Set a goal, say lose 30#. Set to dieting, Atkins, keto, low/slow carb, whole 30, paleo, whatever you choose.

Start your diet without exercise. Plan to lose 10# or so before you add in physical activity, especially cardio. Reasoning being that activity drives hunger, especially cardio. That could lead to immediate failure and a lot of people give up when they don't have success.

So, get yourself a small win, start to change your metabolism and then add activity in later when you are moving in the correct direction.

When I started dieting, I just sort of dropped things I knew were high carb. It was just simpler for me to give up sugar, bread, rice, beans, pasta and potatoes. Just not eating those 6 things forced me to completely change my diet to basically an animal protein and low carb vegetable diet.

I may have lost as much with a slightly different diet, but I had tried the small portion balanced approach before and lost 60 or so pounds several times only to be heavier than ever just a year later. I needed a diet that wouldn't be by definition something I would go on and then off when I reached a target. I needed a way to eat that I would enjoy long term. I had never stuck with diets before longer than maybe 6-8 months. The first thing I did was to go Carnivore for a month because it preached eat as much as you want and still lose weight. That left me constipated as hell even though I tried to eat lots of fat.

I started trying to add every healthy low carb veggie I could think of to my animal protein. It took a while, maybe 4-5 months before cravings for bread and sugar went away. I ate without those 6 things for more than 2 years and felt great. The big thing is that I ate when I was hungry and ate as much as I wanted. I ate less and less frequently as I got smaller. I learned about intermittent fasting and that worked well for me. I was mountain biking an average of 100 miles a week. I live close to good spots and rode every day. My weight settled in at 170 and I was trying really hard to get good abs. I felt so good I gave myself a double hernia. I went undiagnosed for more than a year having some ungodly torture tests done. I gained a bit during that time because I started eating some things, I had done without for over 2 years.

I just had hernia surgery 2 weeks ago. I'm back low carb and one meal a day. I've dropped 10 lbs in two weeks. Another 10 and I'll be back to 175 which is a good weight for me at 6' 2" tall and 54 years old. I had shamedly reached 360-380 lbs. when I turned 50.
© 24hourcampfire