I guess we could blame McDonalds, they invented immediate gratification

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Etoh
Obviously what the majority of people need to lose weight isn't working or we wouldn't need to bloviate.

the old definitions don't provide enough information to solve the problem.

never ask a cat a Rhetorical question---- its always the same answer

I agree most aren't losing weight but does that mean we need to ignore any antidotal evidence, throw our hands up and quit? Do you have a point? I'm respectfully asking.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess we could blame McDonalds, they invented immediate gratification

There's one good one. How about just don't eat any processed food and that takes care of that?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The best way to lose weight is not to gain it in the first place. Contrary to common advice, weigh yourself every single day and take action if you see yourself creeping up a bit.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've always heard to do cardio in the morning to take advantage of your body fasting overnight. This requires your body to burn fat reserves. Do your weightlifting later in the day after your body has fueled up during the day.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The best way to lose weight is not to gain it in the first place. Contrary to common advice, weigh yourself every single day and take action if you see yourself creeping up a bit.

I weighed every day during my 180lb loss. Don't freak out over 5 lbs. either way in a couple days, but it's good to see how you are trending week to week based on every day. It's a lot easier to get control again if you don't wait 2 weeks.

Last edited by RHClark; 02/09/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A common terminology for all medical conditions would be a good start. no latin terms

there is no antidotal evidence to ignore, the whole argument assumes Ceteris paribus, all things being equal (CF like math problems - this from the field of Logic)

I stopped eating doughnuts because of the many bad things about them. I went straight to BearClaws. go big or go home

start by getting some real medical numbers, sugar levels, hormone levels, etc.

pick the point you like the most.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Now, we're getting somewhere!

Cardio is not the sole answer nor is "dieting" or "counting calories."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45

Balance.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A common terminology for all medical conditions would be a good start. no latin terms

there is no antidotal evidence to ignore, the whole argument assumes Ceteris paribus, all things being equal (CF like math problems - this from the field of Logic)

I stopped eating doughnuts because of the many bad things about them. I went straight to BearClaws. go big or go home

pick the point you like the most.

I agree individual assessment would be very valuable. It seems to me however that if an individual was concerned and disciplined enough to seek individual assessment, they most likely would have never reached a point where weight was a huge problem. Since the masses are more in the levels of obesity, I believe it is possible to agree on a few things that will help the majority. Most would benefit from fewer calories, more time between consumption of calories and better-quality calories containing maximum nutrition. To accomplish that an all-natural diet along with intermittent fasting seems to be a very useful tool. If wanting to maximize fat loss low carb can be added.

I'm not one that thinks all carbs should be eliminated forever. Many natural carbs are very beneficial, but I do think to maximize weight loss low carb is a good approach as long as the diet is varied enough to supply good nutrition.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by WTM45

Balance.

Paul
I totally agree that balance is the best route. I do however feel that balance is better at maintaining a healthy weight than losing a massive amount of weight. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. Someone who knows balance won't need to lose 100 lbs. or more. Likely no more than 30 lbs. or more. For small amounts of weight loss balance is the best approach.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I eat a balanced diet of salads, meats and some carbs. Four days a week I walk at a fast pace and 8-10% incline 2+ miles on a tread mill. Two days a week, I work out on a weight machine. I’m 72 and in pretty darn good shape.
I’ve never dieted.

Last edited by dale06; 02/09/23.

NRA Patron
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RickBin (whoever that is) gave the best advice but it was skipped over.

Read the label, know what's in it.

Todays food supply is poisoned with chemicals that mimic estrogen, BHA, BHP (search internet). Especially fructose. It has gotten better, but you should get better and complain about products that do not list ingredients, or at least FDA min. Synthetics are not bad, what's bad is you don't know what they are.

Get a genetic mapping, and I don't mean where your ancestors came from.

I had one showing I had a glutathione enzyme link missing. Meaning I am prone to Acalasia and early hearing loss. How did it know I didn't really like to eat, and didn't like noise pollution.

This type of information was not available 10 years ago. Im a preboomer..Forgive me If I make a 20/20 Hindsight logic error, but if I had known this 20 years a go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sometimes have to grin when I hear exasperated people, generally women, announce that they guess they will just have to "starve themselves" to lose some weight, because my answer is generally "yeah, you should". To starve something is to give it less fuel that it currently requires, so technically, you can starve by 1% or 50%, but both are "starving". If you are otherwise healthy but have eaten yourself into a drastic surplus, try eating the right foods in amounts you should be eating every day if you were already at your body goal, or maybe a little bit less. That will generally starve off the excess, and likely won't be too awful of a process. It might be slower than some crash plan, and it may need some tweaks here and there, but it'll usually help get extra weight off. **Note: This assumes you are not morbidly obese and at risk of death in the near future.

A typical 50yr old man that is 6ft tall and 230lbs needs nearly 250cal more a day to stay that size versus a 190lb version. So maybe lop off something around 400cal a day off by cutting junk and eating more whole foods, which isn't a crazy tall order and isn't too miserable. Throw in a few exercise sessions and you are dropping around a pound of fat a week for weeks on end without it being a drastic approach. Adjust your calories as the weeks go by and depending on results. Maybe integrate a cheat meal each week if you need it. By the time hunting season rolls around, a guy is down 30-40lbs in that scenario and has established good and livable habits. His body is also not in shock or as predisposed to rebounding.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHClark
. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. .

Really?..why can't methodical moderate and steady
achieve goals in significant weight loss?

.. just eating less and exercising more is probably not the best strategy for anyone needing to lose more than 30 lbs. I feel it's better for those wanting to lose more to train the body to burn fat..

Why is 30lb the magical cut off point?

And the body already knows How to draw on adipose
for energy (lipid catabolism/Lipolysis) , that's why it
switches to the fasting state.

TAGs once broken down; Glycerol takes glycolytic path
to pyruvate > KrebC...and FFA components to mitochondria
for generating Acetyl CoA.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It really wasn’t intentional…. 3 years of running, almost 2 years of 70 miles/week in Louisiana…..I lost 3 pounds. I guess that I really wasn’t that obese! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Starman
. Drastic situations call for drastic measures. .

Really?..why can't methodical moderate and steady
achieve goals in significant weight loss?

.. just eating less and exercising more is probably not the best strategy for anyone needing to lose more than 30 lbs. I feel it's better for those wanting to lose more to train the body to burn fat..

Why is 30lb the magical cut off point?

And the body already knows How to draw on adipose
for energy, that's why it switches to the fasting state.

Put whatever numbers you want on it. I'm just talking generalizations.
What I mean by drastic measures isn't really all that drastic. An old saying is that abstinence is easier than perfect moderation. Someone who is significantly overweight (put whatever number you want on that) has already shown that they have no idea what moderation means. Telling them to just do everything in moderation is about like telling to lose some weight. If they knew how, they already would have.

I believe if you rather tell them to cut out just a few things, it's a lot easier for them to maintain. Personally, I never counted calories or tried to control portions. I ate as much as I wanted whenever I was hungry. I simply stopped consuming any sugar that I could read in a label. I quit any bread, rice, pasta, or potato. By doing these very simple things I completely transformed my Standard American diet of mostly processed foods and sugar, to one of all-natural low carb. I ate as much as I wanted but as I lost approx. 10 lbs. per month, the smaller I got the less I wanted.

There are different ways to lose weight. A person could lose weight on high carb-low fat, or just by eating a sensible balanced diet. What I really want anyone to take from this is that there are different strategies to get as healthy as possible. In the end you can't get away from the fact that your body will only be built on the quality and quantity of food consumed and the physical training you place upon it. If anyone takes these simple guidelines, they can build a diet works for them. Just evaluate yourself honestly and change whatever is necessary to reach your own personal goals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put whatever numbers you want on it. I'm just talking generalizations.
What I mean by drastic measures isn't really all that drastic.

You said drastic and gave specific threshold numbers, now You are back peddling.
And it seems all your extensive research
hasn't explained to you that ones body already
knows to burn fat as/when required.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A 3-5 mile walk daily with 20-30lbs in a backpack with some hills thrown in will work wonders over time and I would classify that as cardio. Not a short term solution but you can pretty much do any hunt you dream of if you stick with it long term. It'd be hard to not lose some weight if you kept a maintenance diet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the end, if you want to be a fit/skinny person, you need to live like a fit/skinny person.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 13 invisible), 843 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.