Home
Posted By: CBB Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Sure hate is a strong word.

I was supervising 50+ guys in a machine/fab shop it was fast paced and not that bad. The biggest problem was the level of entitlement felt by some of the guys and their laziness but for the most part I enjoyed it.

Then came the promotion to scheduling. I’m not a “computer guy” but understand our systems and processes so it seemed like a logical fit.

Bottom line, I really can’t stand it. Hate coming here every day and hate sitting there 75% of my day. Don’t really want to go back to babysitting adults either.

Constantly dreaming up ideas to do something different, start up some kind of business and work for myself.

But with a truck payment and mortgage on a home and 57 acres walking away from a sure paycheck every 2 weeks is a scary proposition but one I’m willing to make if I can find the right opportunity.

Just curious if many of you feel the same way or if you’re all loving your job?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I work for myself love what I do but hate the employee aspect folks just don’t want to work period
Posted By: Teal Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
At various times in life - yes, very much so.

Realized that I really liked my industry and a lot of people in the industry but that particular company/group of people were a bad combo for me.

I don't know what the density is in your area for your skill set but I've never been shy about moving onto another gig if I was burned out or unhappy. The fastest way to a raise is often a new W2 provider. Talking real raise, not the "we looked things over and you're getting 2% increase" bullchit.

So I've had jobs I've loathed but never really left the industry.

What usually gets me to a point where I dislike the job - boredom. Once I stop learning new things or working with people who can teach me things, I get bored and antsy. That or a place where there's zero desire to get/be better. As in "we're okay and we know we could be better but meh, too hard. Not going to do it" - I can't fathom not wanting to be the best you could be as an organization. A wise guy once said to me "Why be a Volkswagon when you CAN be a Ferrari" - from a personal development or company execution stand point - strive to be better. It's ok to not get there, stuff happens but not even trying - drives me nuts.
Yep. Buuut....over 6 weeks of vacation a year plus whatever OT I take as comp time, makes it hard to start all over. In reality yes my job sucks, but it could always be worse. I make enough money to support my family and live a lifestyle I'm comfortable with.

9yrs until I retire...I'm down to single digits. Then I can go find a seasonal job I enjoy.

But they do say fortune favors the bold....
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by Teal
At various times in life - yes, very much so.

Realized that I really liked my industry and a lot of people in the industry but that particular company/group of people were a bad combo for me.

I don't know what the density is in your area for your skill set but I've never been shy about moving onto another gig if I was burned out or unhappy. The fastest way to a raise is often a new W2 provider. Talking real raise, not the "we looked things over and you're getting 2% increase" bullchit.

So I've had jobs I've loathed but never really left the industry.

What usually gets me to a point where I dislike the job - boredom. Once I stop learning new things or working with people who can teach me things, I get bored and antsy. That or a place where there's zero desire to get/be better. As in "we're okay and we know we could be better but meh, too hard. Not going to do it" - I can't fathom not wanting to be the best you could be as an organization. A wise guy once said to me "Why be a Volkswagon when you CAN be a Ferrari" - from a personal development or company execution stand point - strive to be better. It's ok to not get there, stuff happens but not even trying - drives me nuts.

Pretty much what Teal said too

I am at the very end of my career, but quite a bit of it, I hated my job for one reason or another. Could be the company, my boss, or the location. I think a lot of that “hate” I felt was because I had to do what I had to do to survive. Maybe that’s why I always liked the movie Shawshank Redemption. Kinda felt like the character Andy at times.

It wasn’t an easy ride or career. I like where I’m at now, but think I am 2 years away from full retirement. For the second time. I can’t wait.
Posted By: 7mmStwer Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I think many folks have a Love/Hate relationship with their job. Being retired, I sometimes hate having too much free time without a project to work on. You can't go from full bore working tons of hours to nothing and not feel antsy. I try to fill it with lots of Travel, Reading, working on Guns but Retirement too can be a Challenge, one I think I finally have a handle on. Sure beats Working!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Nope. “Waiting for Direct Deposit” is the job I always dreamed of.

I always viewed work as what I did so my family and I could have a good life. Sounds like you’re doing well; don’t jump ship unless you have a solid plan in place.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Not hate. But coming up on 30 years this Friday, I’m tired. If i could afford it, I’d have retired 5 years ago. Still 2 years left on the mortgage. Maybe then, if my retirement savings come back from the chitt-show of the last year.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
We sold our family business a little over a year ago after a 46 year run. I had worked in the business for 41 of those years and was at the helm for the last 17. The last five years of dealing with employees was pure hell. When we had the opportunity to sell and the money was right I didn't even think twice about making that call. The only way I would consider another business today is if it could be solely run by myself or myself and a VERY trusted partner. It's just not worth the headaches.
Posted By: goalie Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Nope. I'm actually compensated well and enjoy my job right now. Hopefully they don't change it too much in the next 5-7 years before I retire.
Posted By: CBB Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nope. “Waiting for Direct Deposit” is the job I always dreamed of.

I always viewed work as what I did so my family and I could have a good life. Sounds like you’re doing well; don’t jump ship unless you have a solid plan in place.

Yeah that’s kinda why I haven’t jumped yet. I’m not rich by any measure but do ok for my area with 4weeks of vaca. Just need to come up with a solid plan
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Be happy that you hate it. Most people stay in a crappy situation because it's a comfortable crappy. It can also comfortably lead to failure.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I am sick of my job. Management constantly change processes and systems that waste our time doing things that make us less efficient and cost money we don't need to spend. I was planning on working till December but will probably retire sooner. They can have it and will realize they should have paid me more when I leave.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
No.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
What would you leave for? “Not this” is not a job description.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I work for myself love what I do but hate the employee aspect folks just don’t want to work period
I know what that’s like. Folks want to talk a good game when you go to hire them. But then the next thing you hear is "I can’t come in till 10 o’clock Tuesday cause the wife has a hair appointment early and there is nobody the drop the kid off at daycare." Something different every week.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I like my job, more specifically, the people I work with. IMO they matter much more than the job description.

The best part is, I'm at retirement age so if that ever changes, so be it, they'll get along fine without me.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I hated some aspects of it but it was really easy to deal with. I got out 10 years ago when the department started to go really woke. People tell me I got out at the right time and probably would be in a ton of trouble just for being old school. I thought I treated people with respect and no bullshit but I guess that isn't enough now days.
Remember Tom Sawyer, make it look like fun, someone may pay you to do it for you.
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Nope. I’m retarded now, beginning to enjoy the hell out of not working
Posted By: slumlord Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Remember Tom Sawyer, make it look like fun, someone may pay you to do it for you.

Originally Posted by wabigoon
No.

Let’s ask Jake

When youre gone, he dumps that place and moves to Florida
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Just as all women are at least a 4 crazy all jobs are at least a 5 suck.

If the money is right and you can keep from redlining more days than not it is time to suck it up and get on with it.

Careful making anything you are passionate about your job. Has a tendency to turn 'fun' into work.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I like what I do. Turned my childhood passion into a business/career and enjoy it immensely.

Last year started a new side hustle that I thought would be a 10-20k gig that turned into something that I could live off of. Enjoying that too even though it’s about 180 from what I expected.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
No, but with 90-100 hours on the water per week....I'm a tired old man. I could retire, but then what? Go fishing?
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Just as all women are at least a 4 crazy all jobs are at least a 5 suck.

If the money is right and you can keep from redlining more days than not it is time to suck it up and get on with it.

Careful making anything you are passionate about your job. Has a tendency to turn 'fun' into work.

A realistic perspective. The truth is that most jobs suck. That's why it's called work and they pay you to do it.

Part of the problem is another form of entitlement - unrealistic expectations. Started around the '80s, "actualize yourself", the Army picked up on it with the "Be all you can be" slogan. Around that time I began supervising professional women. They really got caught up in it. I called them the "80s ladies". Old boy networks, fast tracks, mentors, power suits, a whole array of such crap. Didn't believe they should have to work their way up, pay their dues.

Another reality is that much job dissatisfaction is with the boss. Oh, a quitting employee won't say that, doesn't want to burn bridges, so they say they are leaving for more money, a better opportunity, etc. etc. It's really because they think the boss is an azzhole. Few managers will bother looking in the mirror, so the charades play on.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I really enjoyed my job until I began having to do my job plus another guy’s job and then another guy’s job too. The first day I was eligible for retirement, I hit the road. Boss asked what he was supposed to do now. I told him it ain’t my problem!

Had I been able to continue just doing my job, I would have stayed until I was too old to do it.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Spend a couple of years in a Japanese owned manufacturing plant associated with the auto industry.

They go back to your old job. You'll like it much better, then.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Nope.

I retired 5 years ago as a butcher of 40 years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Did a stint as a wrangler for a few years.
The pay wasnt great, but that was freaking amazing.
Been around horses all my life and it was right in my back yard.

Management at the ranch changed and went back to cutting meat and collecting my retirement. .
I'm so comfortable cutting meat I could do it in my sleep.
The pay ain't bad out here either.

Posted By: WMR Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I'll take that lower tray of the strips, please.
That photo in the red apron reminds me of Bill the Butcher. No one to trifle with!
Posted By: EdM Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Retired now but, thankfully, no when I did work.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Yes. I just hate it.
Do like Sam Olson, make it look like fun.[Linked Image from opensource.com]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I enjoyed residential roofing. Fresh air, different location ever 3 days.
No politics or water cooler [bleep]. Pussies don’t last beyond the first day. lol
Green mtn dew puke comes out of their nose, call your mama come get ya

Lots of colorful characters
Nope. Love mine.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
as a REA lineman for 35 years and now been retired for 10 years the work was fine in all weather conditions , the community people were great to help , but the management politics at the REA were horrible , iw ork with some very good linemen that never got promoted . it seemed the poorer lazy worker who kissed butt were the ones who were promoted i also think this is very common in America now and that is a real shame it makes our country weak with liberals in charge, and the proof is at the Whitehouse with Biden / Harris team.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I Enjoyed my time as an Iron Worker with some bad days.
It was a Constant fight to get promoted even in the Union .

I really enjoyed my time as an Inspector, With some bad days.
It was a Constant fight and a lost fight getting the good jobs over cleaning up everyone else's crap they created for the Labs I worked for.

Been self employed for over 25 years and bent to my clients and the Labs.
Now I do what I want pretty much semi retired Some Inspections , Some Fabrication and always Starving.

I do enjoy being Independent not so much the Starving part.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
What's not to love? <insert sarcasm font> But I'm self employed so I can't bitch about nothing.

Truth is, I enjoy doing some aspects of my job, but I'm getting tired and taking alot more time off recovering from work between projects. For me the hardest part is prying my [bleep] off the couch and getting started. Better once I'm moving. I get a new knee in two weeks I hope that helps me get my groove back.
Posted By: The_Big_D Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Really like my job, especially since covid. Working at home full time, hopefully permanently... Do IT support so there are slow times where I can get around the house stuff done, and get paid for doing it. Manager is chill and mostly leaves me alone...
I’ve been on both ends of this spectrum.

In a 40 year career so far, I would say that I have had 9 or 10 really good years. There have been some really bad years, some boring years and some okay years. I was fortunate to have some great business travel - traveled most of America, many trips to Europe, a short residence in England, and some travel to Latin America.

Worked at a fortune 100 company a long time. It started as a mid-sized company (software) but was later bought out. I was with the combined company 21 years. Only 6 of those years were enjoyable. But I was very well paid and trapped by all the things that come with disposable income - a wife that earned a pittance, two kids and the big house.

Then the big company began the death spiral. One day I was one of 1400 employees that got “the call” (we were all white and in our upper 50’s). I spent the next five years trying to get some different business ideas off the ground - learned I wasn’t cut out for that. Lost quite a bit of money …. Along with some other near disasters.

Recently, my best friend asked me to help him run his small manufacturing business. I am doing things that are totally new to me and I am absolutely loving it. At age 63. Working incredibly hard. On a wild day, I will have 70+ Phone calls. It has been probably ten years since I have felt productive and could see that I was making a significant impact on the business. It feels great to have that feeling again - I want to ride this for a while before I retire.
Posted By: mathman Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yes. I just hate it.

Can't stand the management? grin
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by mathman
Yes. I just hate it.

You're most likely to hate a "job" when you become the management.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
After 34 years as LE Deputy Sheriff, I did not hate my job but, realized it was time to get away from it. People were the best of my job and at times the worst part of my job. I retired Jan of 2022. No regrets. It was quite a ride!
Posted By: smallfry Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I love my job, I am self employed and travel all over the world hurting people and companies.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Hope my job lasts another 5 yrs.
Could be done inside of 3, rumor is.
It aint bad, it aint good....im just sick of it.
Dont need the noise, dirt or stress.
Zero job satisfaction, just SOSDD.
Insurance is good but shorty will be off it due to age in a yr or so.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Nah. Men need to work. Find satisfaction in the grind.

If you want to do your own thing and aren't prepared to go without a paycheck for at least 6 months, you better start your plan over.

Hard time to hire, hard time to raise capital/borrow, there's some market headwinds, but put a plan together and have a go.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Wanna start a composting business where people pay me to bring in their wood pallets and demo materials. I grind em up, magnetically separate the nails from the wood. Age the grindings into compost, sell their schit back to them. Then scatter the nails all over the roads. My next idea is for a tire repair shop. I see alot of need in the community.

Hey, jus' tryin' to do my part, ya know?
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Today? No.
Ask me tomorrow. The answer may be vastly different.
Posted By: KC Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I'm a licensed architect. I'm retired now, but before I retired I enjoyed the work that I did. I specially enjoyed dreaming things up then seeing them grow into reality. My life now is without purpose because I can only hunt during the various seasons. I do some recreational backpacking. Don't climb any longer. Too old and fat.
Posted By: MedRiver Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Years ago I was feeling kinda bored and a little burned out with my job. A promotion came along that put me in a supervisory position. My manager was long on talking about initiatives and short on implementation. Drove me nuts. Asked to go back to my old job where everything I do is project based with clear timelines and expectations. I appreciated it a lot more after I was out of it and happy to be back doing what I am doing. I used to stress about projects a lot but after 20 years of "been there, done that" it is pretty easy to shut it off at the end of the day and my work-life balance has gotten much better.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I had a couple jobs I didn't mind at first but soon get bored and grew to hate them fairly quickly. Most of my jobs I just hated right from day one. In general, working just sucks and there was never a day of work in my whole life that I wouldn't have rather been doing something else, like hunting or fishing or pulling my fingernails out with a pair of pliers. Did I mention working just sucks ?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by hanco
Nope. I’m retarded now, beginning to enjoy the hell out of not working

You don’t say….
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Since I owned the company, I had no complaints, or should not have had any.

But then I sold it to a private equity company. Part of that deal was to work for them running the company for a few years. Golden parachute (or handcuffs). Asswholes. Short term thinkers. I got out as soon as I was able to.

Now I don't do anything all day, and by noon, I'm half done. Just kidding. I took some good hunting trips and we travelled but arthritis now prevents that. So I read a lot and shoot Sporting Clays. It looks like I'll be financially secure for the rest of my life. Life is good.
The only paycheck I've ever gotten was from The US Army. Self-employed.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Not now, since I retired over 5 years ago.

In the past? Didn't really hate the job as much as the people at some places, and vice versa at others.

Finally figured out I'd rather be happier doing "work" I might enjoy, with as few people to deal with as possible, and that worked fairly well.

I work best when told what needs done and then be left mostly alone to get it done. If you're paying me, I'll do my best to accomplish that on your schedule even.
Posted By: Distridr Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Like the job, can't stand the way the place is operated.
There have been many changes since it was bought by a global .corp, none of which benefit the skilled workers.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Loved what I did for a living. The hate part was other people and weeding through those who wanted to work and those that didn't. After 35 years with 2 Performing Arts companies I retired 2 years ago. Miss the art forms and energy and the many performers and some people.
FJB has had a negative effect on the quality of life post retirement but the wife and I are and will be fine. Do worry about the kids and grandkids, the chit show FJB has left them ain't pretty and I'm not long for it.
Nope love mine.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
The week obuma was elected, I switched careers from wasting time at a factory to wasting time at home.

I did not want to pay obuma any income taxes.

Now I am paying Brandon taxes..... at least his wife is not a tranny....you can tell by her taste in print dresses. Gays would not wear that stuff on halloween.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I had a couple jobs I didn't mind at first but soon get bored and grew to hate them fairly quickly. Most of my jobs I just hated right from day one. In general, working just sucks and there was never a day of work in my whole life that I wouldn't have rather been doing something else, like hunting or fishing or pulling my fingernails out with a pair of pliers. Did I mention working just sucks ?
You missed your calling. Should have been a motivational speaker or operator for a suicide hotline. grin
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I don’t hate my day job but there are certain things I dislike sometimes. Mainly my biggest trouble is renters and dealing with the local governments.
Posted By: DIRTBAG Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Yup...hate it every.fing.day.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Nope.

Did a stint as a wrangler for a few years.
The pay wasnt great, but that was freaking amazing.
Been around horses all my life and it was right in my back yard.

Management at the ranch changed and went back to cutting meat and collecting my retirement. .
I'm so comfortable cutting meat I could do it in my sleep.
The pay ain't bad out here either.

When I retire in a year or two. You sir will have a permanent invitation to moosecamp.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I loved the job and liked almost all of the people I worked with.

We were bought out by a larger company and they tried to suck the life out of us.

Some of us tried to go with a competitor right away but found out no one wanted anything to do with us, afraid of the new owners lawyers.

Ended up staying on after they hired a local guy as manager for our state. He is still a friend today. That guy made it bearable as he kept the corp azzholes in ATL off our backs.

Like Hanco said, I'm retarded now and enjoying it. I feel sorry for my coworkers that are still hanging on, the covid bs has really set them back.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Yes. But I'm close enough to retirement to not give a shart.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I could go full blown mobile and sell my hq for $500k tomorrow and not have to traverse 45 miles 2x a day but what’s the fun in doing that
Posted By: Scotty Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I enjoyed the work. When people would leave it took forever to fill the positions. Almost ways doing the work of two people. My boss would come to me on Monday and ask me to do a report to hand it in on Friday. Then on Wednesday he would send an email asking where it was.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
I am beginning to feel like I've not been able to see how things really are at work the last ten years. I'm glad I thought it was all great, for the most part, all that time but I am seeing things a little differently now. It's a clownfest featuring a lot of childish egos who think they've got me where they want me indefinitely. They're about to learn that it ain't so. I don't HATE it---I've had those jobs where your stomach winds up in a knot the moment you pull into the parking lot in the early sunshine and I've enjoyed much better over the last 17 years but I am ready to hang it up. And all the sorry [bleep] I've been having to share the road with 62 miles per day can go to hell (and that's exactly where they'll be every weekday morning and afternoon).
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Yes. I just hate it.

You're most likely to hate a "job" when you become the management.

Yep. There are certain jobs that don't require you to be an azzhole, but it helps. Management is one of them.
I don’t hate my job but I hate going to work. I like time with my wife (most of the time) and my kids, dog and hobbies. Work is just a means to an ends for me. I get 200 hrs vacation time, decent pay and benefits but it’s far from anything rewarding outside of the paycheck.

In a perfect pie in the sky dream job I’d own a successful gun shop or make a living as a big name smith or be a well to do rancher.
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
I didn't used to, but I do now. The race that is always a victim, has a sense of entitlement, and is always owed something has made me hate it now. I have 11 months and 16 days till retirement.
Nope, I'd find something else to do if I hated it.
Posted By: mart Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
When I worked corrections I actually liked my job. I was a shift supervisor with a good crew. Had the respect of my crew as well as the inmates. Then we got a corrupt, female, micromanaging superintendent. Satan’s sister I’m sure. I tried to stay professional but her demands were beyond unreasonable and she was truly a horrible supervisor and person. I went from liking my job to dreading getting out of bed every day.

My health was degrading rapidly. My doc told me it was all stress and I need to get out of it. So I took early (read much reduced) retirement and took a security job on the slope. I loved it. My health returned almost immediately when I got out of the stress. Worked eight years up there until Covid and low oil prices caused a mass reduction in force. My company had an opening in town as a contract manager so I lateraled into it until Etta’s health required me to be home with her. I would have liked to work another 6-7 years, especially at the wage level I was at.

I don’t regret retiring. My retirement income is not what I had hoped for but we have enough. I’m looking at what I might do as a part time retirement business to augment our income but haven’t committed to anything.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
I don't hate my job. I enjoy what I do. I just hate my management, or lack of management.
Posted By: mtj21 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
I love work. When I’m not at work I actually enjoy working when off. Worked in hospital 7 years- taught college for 17 years- been at the hospital again about 17 years. I have a few hundred students working around the country, some where I have been their boss for the last almost 17 years. I have always done what ever I could for my staff both at work and for them to take time off. Been available 24/7 365 days a year. Until last Thanksgiving, I was at hospital every holiday in last years. Last Friday, 1145am, I was given the option to be terminated or resign immediately. I am angry, lost, and feel absolutely worthless right now. I have always tried to help people whether at school, work, in my town where I have been Mayor for over 20 years, county boards… My job was very demanding, for over 35 years I have always drove at least 150 miles a day commute- never missed due to weather. 56 and lost my job just like that. I love working. Sorry for ranting; not been a good last few days estimating my value.
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Yes I do

Work directly under a polital appointee that is f'ing clueless.

Upside is the leave and general flexibility I have and I have a good staff.

As a whole I work with a lot of good people, but completely burnt out with people who don't give a chit and never face any consequences because its damn near impossible to replace anyone these days.
Posted By: BuzzH Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Like my job a lot.

Usually 100-120 days a year in the woods. Have flown into work sites in fixed wing and helicopters, horse pack a couple weeks a year, ride dirt bikes, ATVs a fair bit.

Like the people I work with.

Retirement is awesome, insurance is very good and keep it in retirement paying the same as I do now, will allow me to retire young...if I choose.

Lots of vacation/comp time allows me to take off big blocks of time to hunt. All federal holidays off too.

Almost a shame that retirement is getting close.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Started out idealistic wanting to help people and keep evil in check. Finally figured out after 30 years the system is corrupt and that most peoples problems are due to stupidity of their own doing.

Pulling the pin this summer.
Posted By: Dess Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
People quit bad bosses more often than bad jobs.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Originally Posted by Dess

Or I can get a straight job
I done it before
Never minded working hard
It's who I'm working for

"Everything Is Free"
Song by Gillian Welch 2001
Posted By: Dre Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
As a GC I hate when I hire new guys, and they say they know what they are doing in specific trades. And they don’t, More like a bad handy man.
It fuc..ing kills me the fact guys that might have years on me and I can run circles around them or they still F up the small stuff.
I have to treat grown men like kids.
Why they are 40 or Older and making 20-25 an hour. Chumps
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Yes. I just hate it.

He is a janer.
Posted By: Benben Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
I was a county prosecutor for 10 years. It was very fulfilling at times, but I lived it 24/7. Grew to hate the stress. Moved to the City Attorney’s Office for 3 years. I didn’t like much about that gig. Then I took a turn that I didn’t see coming. I went to work for a utility company as the contract manager in supply chain. I really enjoyed most aspects of it, but last spring I was recruited to a major Silicon Valley company doing the same job. Much better pay and I work from home. I’ve been to my “office” three days in the last 9 months. I enjoy the work but I really look forward to retirement in about 8 years.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Corrections. Love the job, detest the management. Always seems the folks with no leadership skills end up promoting.
Posted By: Teal Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23

I hear that alot. I'd counter that a lot of people leave marginal jobs with marginal bosses more than bad/bad or good/bad.

If you're neither hot nor cold about a job or boss - it's easy to move on.
Posted By: Dess Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23

I hear that alot. I'd counter that a lot of people leave marginal jobs with marginal bosses more than bad/bad or good/bad.

Good points. All of them.

I didn't hate working in tough jobs. I got a lot of personal satisfaction completing a tough assignment and doing it well. What I detested was a tyrant who didn't know the job and expected the impossible and held me responsible for their lack of planning, knowledge, or leadership.
Posted By: Teal Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23

Good points. All of them.

I didn't hate working in tough jobs. I got a lot of personal satisfaction completing a tough assignment and doing it well. What I detested was a tyrant who didn't know the job and expected the impossible and held me responsible for their lack of planning, knowledge, or leadership.

Agreed. Or leaders that never could admit someone else had a good idea. Or that their perspective doesn't match reality.

I also generally distrust leaders who consistently get things wrong within the industry. One of the positives (and negatives) of LinkedIn - you can see what people think about the industry and current events in it - not specific to your company/role.

When I see things there that are so 180 degrees opposite of the reality on the ground - might be a great boss but I question why I'd hitch my career wagon to his leadership tractor.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Nope.

I started in 1978 and worked at it till 2002 when I quit for another trade that pays better. I always liked cutting meat and still do it a bit in the fall for friends who get a moose or deer. That always gets me an invite to the camp. smile

I would have had 45yrs in if I'd kept at it but I like what I do now as well.
Posted By: misfire270 Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
Not so much my job being a building contractor but supply chain issues and customers just aren’t fun anymore!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Do you hate your job? - 03/15/23
My father, my wife, my cousin, my uncle, all worked as engineers in the same job for 40 years.
No way was I as good an engineer as any of them. They all got patents.

I got no patents and changed jobs every 2.5 years, negotiated for more money.

It turns out success is more about self promotion and negotiation, than it is about quality and quantity of output.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Originally Posted by Oldhardluckrifle
Nope love mine.

Are you talking about your scammer job?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../gonew/1/well-it-finally-happened#UNREAD

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18391529#Post18391529
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Originally Posted by earlybrd
This
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Retired,

so if I hate my "job" it's on me to make it right or leave.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Yes been retired since 95. Love my job. Fishing, shooting, and hunting whats not to like
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
I love my job.
Being retired is a job, right?
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
I love my job.
Being retired is a job, right?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I am beginning to feel like I've not been able to see how things really are at work the last ten years. I'm glad I thought it was all great, for the most part, all that time but I am seeing things a little differently now. It's a clownfest featuring a lot of childish egos who think they've got me where they want me indefinitely. They're about to learn that it ain't so. I don't HATE it---I've had those jobs where your stomach winds up in a knot the moment you pull into the parking lot in the early sunshine and I've enjoyed much better over the last 17 years but I am ready to hang it up. And all the sorry [bleep] I've been having to share the road with 62 miles per day can go to hell (and that's exactly where they'll be every weekday morning and afternoon).

Six weeks closer. It's gonna be sweet to turn in my access badge.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Originally Posted by CBB

I was supervising 50+ guys in a machine/fab shop it was fast paced and not that bad. The biggest problem was the level of entitlement felt by some of the guys and their laziness but for the most part I enjoyed it.

Then came the promotion to scheduling. I’m not a “computer guy” but understand our systems and processes so it seemed like a logical fit.

Bottom line, I really can’t stand it. Hate coming here every day and hate sitting there 75% of my day. Don’t really want to go back to babysitting adults either.

Constantly dreaming up ideas to do something different, start up some kind of business and work for myself.

But with a truck payment and mortgage on a home and 57 acres walking away from a sure paycheck every 2 weeks is a scary proposition but one I’m willing to make if I can find the right opportunity.

Weigh your responsibilities against your frustration with the job and make the decision that works best for you and your family.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
I didn’t hate my job, I just hate the customers, employees, vendors, salespeople, sub contractors and their employees. If it weren’t for people I’d say it was the perfect job.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Originally Posted by CBB

Retired 11.5 yrs ago......

Had all the BS I could take from the brown truck owners

Was a good career....8 weeks off every year....now I have 52 weeks off

Haven't missed working at all

Teamster pension is just AOK
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Work for myself pick n choose what I do
I have been retired for 24 years love my job.
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
I liked new construction plumbing and AC work. I liked running big jobs, but there was no retirement, except for a cheesy ass 401 plan. I hated repair plumbing, nasty sometimes, but I like the check the state sends on the first of the month. I’d be fuuucked trying to make it on SS. SS is my fool around money now.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Haven't killed anything for a couple days, I'm starting to get restless.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Love my job, I too am retired!
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/03/23
Yep. But I've been there too long and make too much to leave. Can't give up the pay and the amount of paid time off I get each year - this after more than 30 years.
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Yep. But I've been there too long and make too much to leave. Can't give up the pay and the amount of paid time off I get each year - this after more than 30 years.

Kinda like marriage, costs too much to quit
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Nope, but I have the benefit of a pension from a previous career. My bosses are scared of me
Posted By: Distridr Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
I frequent indeed.com
Posted By: Bry Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Last fall the Mom and Pop sized company I’ve worked for the last 20 years sold out to a national corporation. It was in the works for over a year but we had no idea until the day the paperwork was signed. Before the sale I knew I only had maybe 3-4 years left in me anyway, blue collar laborer work that’s been grinding me down physically. Two months ago I gave notice I’d like to move to part time and tomorrow is my first day off from 40+ hour work weeks. Guess you could say I’m semi retiring.

Going to celebrate by going turkey hunting in the morning.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Love my job, the work I do and most of the people I work with.

I hate most of the maintenance planners, plant personal and contract administrators that I have to deal with. I'm old enough to be their dad. Hell who knows, I may have banged their mom's at some point !
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
I am all over the place on this one.

I've worked jobs I hated, I've hated working at my current(23 years) job.

Now, I have a position where I am 1 of 2 (and the senior) guys doing what we do.
We each have our machines except if we need to cover the other.
The work is OK, fellow employees can't screw with me, management asks
me if it can get done. Give me the job orders and only stop by if I need
something. Don't even have a start/quit time. Only guy, only shift. Start when
I start, quit somewhere around 8 hours later. Just leave if I need to.
Work always gets done on time, so no questions get asked.

It's a great job for a factory, blue collar job.
Pay, benefits, my position.
But I very rarely enjoy it. Really, only on engineering, odd, jobs where I get
to problem solve and learn new stuff. 0 passion for it or sense of accomplishment.

I loved farming, loved logging.
Starvation work here unless you own the business.

Love driving truck, but doing that you either work cheap or sacrifice your life
to earn a wage.

So, I'll punch in tomorrow around 6-7, leave between 2 and 3.
Cash my check on the way home, and repeat 5 days a week, 47 weeks a year for the
next 10 years. Hopefully!
Posted By: irfubar Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
I hated every job I had
Posted By: Terryk Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
I retired a year ago, and find it hard to fully relax. I feel compelled to do projects, but it is rewarding to get so much accomplished. I can say I don't have time for a job, and really don't know how I could go back to a "real job". I wish I quit earlier, but I did retire early. Best job I ever had.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
I don't like the schedule and seasonal anxiety.

My farmer buddies are starting to hit the fields while we've been focused on cattle for the last 6 months. Calving right into longer days and fieldwork!

Hiring day work help is tough.

And expensive in more ways than one.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Nope I’ve been retired for 17 years.
Posted By: blanket Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Most of us baby boomers hated our jobs and held on for our families. Feel your pain about managing, did for 20 years. Glad to be retired
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Which job? I only have 3. First (primary) job pays $164K plus benefits and I enjoy the variety and challenge. 2nd job (gun dealer) loses money, but it's enjoyable. 3rd job (property manager) sucks donkey balls and I am quitting within a month. Never go into property management unless you love adult babysitting.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
Rich People tell every graduating class."Do something you love, you will never work a day in your life."

Dad, blue, sweaty, collar, dirty hands.
"Bullshìt! Anything you do for a living becomes a job at some point. Every jobs sucks and you wish you didnt have to do it sometimes!" Dad loved his job, he knew he lucked into it. He appreciated it and did his very best for over 30 years.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
I didn't realize it was over at first. The building business was a thrill for many years. It changed slowly, then abruptly. Went from bad to worse over night. My stomach for the ever increasing bureaucratic bullshit, regulations and over entitled, unappreciative customers, and duplicitous subs to lesser degree, obnoxious idiots nosing in on everything in their backyard. I took it too personally when there was good money to be made still. Too much aggravation and tongue biting. Won a lawsuit after 4 years and it was over. I took the hint but miss the good times.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Do you hate your job? - 05/04/23
I love my Job.

I am the CEO of my own Corporation, people work for me all over the country and I can run my company from anywhere in the world from my laptop, providing I have internet access.

I often work as I am on the river fishing for Sturgeon. It's a beautiful thing smile
© 24hourcampfire