Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
My sister is a self-proclaimed alcoholic and is on her way down to visit my mom, who lives nearby. I generally have a campfire and a whiskey drink or two on a Saturday. Especially looking forward to it today as I have surgery next week and will be on pain killers, so no alcohol for a while.

Should I offer her a drink? Not drink while she's here? Get her blasted? LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Jeez, at least offer her some decent booze, might as well give the blended canuck to the homeless in portlandia...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
We just got the runnin water and legtrisity out here in oRegun.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
That's a fugged up question ball. If she be a drinking alchy she will bring her own.

If she's not she'll turn down your offer.

You should mix yer alchy and the pain killers.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Fireball2, It would not be brotherly if you didn't let her drink as much as she wants lol

Never even heard of that whiskey and I live here, but then again I drink Jack Daniels shooters with Beer.

KB
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Offering your poor sister a drink of booze is to enable her. Instead, you should offer her a Dr. Pepper, and join her with a Dr. Pepper of your own.

Who knows? Perhaps she'll come to like Dr. Pepper better than booze and she'll be cured of alcoholism due to your help. You'll have done her a favor with your unselfish humanitarianism.

wink

L.W.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Offering your poor sister a drink of booze is to enable her. Instead, you should offer her a Dr. Pepper, and join her with a Dr. Pepper of your own.

LOL. Good luck with your surgery fireballz, hope it turns out good for you.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
You should neither enable her or walk on eggshells around her. You do you.

She’s an adult and should be treated like one. If she’s going to drink she’s going to drink. Just put the stuff out and tell people to help themselves.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Maybe a nice hand rolled spliff instead of the whiskey?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
If you’re serious and she’s serious that depends if you want her to quit drinking or not.

My brother, two of my cousins and my uncle are/were alcoholic, my parents never were, neither was I tho I drank heavily into my twenties. I’m pretty sure there’s a genetic component.

I don’t drink in front of them, there’s plenty of other opportunities .

…and if you yourself find it hard NOT to drink……..
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Throw some extra Nyquil in the medicine cabinet, in case she wants ta keep it on the dl.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
I'll make some popcorn.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
I’m from Tennessee. Here, we’d just sleep with her.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
LMAO!

KB
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Originally Posted by gregintenn

This is sooooo wrong…….
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
Originally Posted by Kenneth

This is sooooo wrong…….

In such a good way...🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
I thought this was about a 24hourcampfire get together.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
In my generation of my extended family, 4 of 9 had alcohol problems. In the previous generation 4 of 6, and in the third generation, 3 of 8.

I don't answer the phone after 5 p.m. if it is a drinker's phone number.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/25/23
A buddy of mine who I'd tip a glass and enjoy a fine cigar with from time to time had the solution. Alky guests got what the bars call well booze, the invited guests enjoyed the finer spirits from the top shelf along with the cigars from the humidor versus the Dutch Masters or White Owls for the moochers.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
As long as nobody's driving who gives a rip. Howl at the moon, shoot out the lights.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Seriously, we have that issue with our son who will drink himself stupid if there's any about regardless of form or brand. If there's alcohol therein, he will consume it. Really pissed me off a year back when a half gallon of 30-year-old brandy disappeared in two days. Said he'd replace it, but I suspect that would require some extended and expensive travel.

We rarely drink, but with any coming, all alcohol is tucked away behind laundry in our master bedroom. He has to bring his own stash.

I too believe there is a genetic component. Totally clean as a youngster, but after about a month-long visit with some school buddies, he came home solidly hooked on both nicotine and booze. Cookie's father was a mean and obvious alcoholic downing a half pint before breakfast. Liver and lungs killed him in his mid-fifties, so it's part of our heritage. If supplies are exhausted at 2:00AM, son must do an immediate trip out for new supplies.

Seeing him with hacking coughs, spitting, and trembling, we will not enable. I suspect his 70+ year old parents will outlive him.
Posted By: viking Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Is she good looking?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by Kenneth

This is sooooo wrong…….

Yeah, he meant to say "West Virginia."
Posted By: smokepole Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I thought this was about a 24hourcampfire get together.

I thought it was gonna be about a band of door-to-door evangelicals.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
I always take the 'high' road.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
If his sis get’s her freak on when boozed and takes all her clothes off. Then by all means have your bar open.

Take pics (maybe a little weird) but do it anyway and post em up, so we can rate the talent.

😈

🦫
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Is she practicing or recovering?

If she is recovering hide da hooch.

If u wanna drink I wouldn’t pour in front of her.

If she is practicing…..get to jammin
Posted By: slumlord Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Someone had to say it
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by Morewood
As long as nobody's driving who gives a rip. Howl at the moon, shoot out the lights.

But..........................................

From what I have observed there are two types of drinkers, 1. A Nasty Drunk and 2. A Fun Drunk.

When it comes to a family member that is a nasty drunk, one that wants to argue and bring up every single event that was unpleasant dating back to birth, NO ALCOHOL.

When it comes to a Fun Drunk, drink away to your heart's content and have a pleasant evening.

KB
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by viking
Is she good looking?

Well. she's still sober and I've had my first drink, ready for #2! LOL
Originally Posted by slumlord
Someone had to say it

Photos?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Someone had to say it

Photos?
You first. My sister ain’t here at the moment.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Someone had to say it
I was wonderin'

before openin' a jug,

or during the drinkin,

or maybe after the jug is empty?

Or does is start as soon she's out the car and 'till she pulls out the lane?
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Was it a Western Movie where the Tombstone was inscribed with the compliment, "He never bought a drunk a drink".

There is something to be said for helping folks crawl out of the holes they have dug in their life, vs handing them a bigger shovel.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
I rarely drink anymore, having had a rowdy first half of my life I’ve settled down, and probably none too soon. I’m a happy drunk though when I do tie one on. My wife doesn’t drink at all but she always said I was a funny and loving drunk so she didn’t mind…..usually. 😀
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by 1minute
Seriously, we have that issue with our son who will drink himself stupid if there's any about regardless of form or brand. If there's alcohol therein, he will consume it. Really pissed me off a year back when a half gallon of 30-year-old brandy disappeared in two days. Said he'd replace it, but I suspect that would require some extended and expensive travel.

We rarely drink, but with any coming, all alcohol is tucked away behind laundry in our master bedroom. He has to bring his own stash.

I too believe there is a genetic component. Totally clean as a youngster, but after about a month-long visit with some school buddies, he came home solidly hooked on both nicotine and booze. Cookie's father was a mean and obvious alcoholic downing a half pint before breakfast. Liver and lungs killed him in his mid-fifties, so it's part of our heritage. If supplies are exhausted at 2:00AM, son must do an immediate trip out for new supplies.

Seeing him with hacking coughs, spitting, and trembling, we will not enable. I suspect his 70+ year old parents will outlive him.

Wow....sorry about that.
Posted By: RAS Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Offer an alcoholic a drink?

In short, no.
Posted By: mathman Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by viking
Is she good looking?

Well. she's still sober and I've had my first drink, ready for #2! LOL

If you're drinking that Canadian lighter fluid you might revisit who is the alcoholic. grin
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
I too believe there is a genetic component.

Back in the 70’s as teenagers me, my brother and cousin would routinely drink ourselves to unconsciousness, funds permitting, once or twice a month. My cousin’s parents were alkys themselves so there was no supervision.

The next morning when we all woke up the first thing my brother would do is go to the refrigerator to see if there was any beer left.

Me OTOH, when I was hungover I would react to even the sight of alcohol the way a vampire did to sunlight in those old movies.

Nothing at all to do with willpower or personality, hadda be genetic.

Both my brother and my cousin hit rock bottom in their time. Both of them now swear by Alcoholics Anonymous, turned their lives around. My brother met his wife there and it’s been a great marriage.

I’m very sorry to hear of your son but there’s hope.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Were we at on this?

Photo’s? Video? TikTok?

What happens in Oregon stays in Oregon?
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
I tried to post re hab by Amy Winehouse

Couldn’t get her done.
*No alcoholics were harmed in the making of this thread. Thank you.

That is all.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/26/23
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I tried to post re hab by Amy Winehouse

Couldn’t get her done.

Here you go Angus1895.

Too bad she drank herself to death, just goes to show you that all the fame and fortune in the world doesn't buy you happiness. frown

KB

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/27/23
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I too believe there is a genetic component.

Back in the 70’s as teenagers me, my brother and cousin would routinely drink ourselves to unconsciousness, funds permitting, once or twice a month. My cousin’s parents were alkys themselves so there was no supervision.

The next morning when we all woke up the first thing my brother would do is go to the refrigerator to see if there was any beer left.

Me OTOH, when I was hungover I would react to even the sight of alcohol the way a vampire did to sunlight in those old movies.

Nothing at all to do with willpower or personality, hadda be genetic.

Both my brother and my cousin hit rock bottom in their time. Both of them now swear by Alcoholics Anonymous, turned their lives around. My brother met his wife there and it’s been a great marriage.

I’m very sorry to hear of your son but there’s hope.

Glad to hear about your cousin and brother and their success against Demon Rum.

Maybe someday we get good news like that about his son from 1minute.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/27/23
*No alcoholics were harmed in the making of this thread. Thank you.

That is all.

I think Angus 1975 suffered some dain bramage.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/27/23

Tough row to hoe buddy.. you have my sympathies
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Visiting alcoholics - 03/27/23
My daughter and her husband are both alcoholics, and she's bipolar to boot. No plans to get any better- - - -they "don't have a problem"! The booze gets locked up anytime they're around, which is frequently, because they live on 5 acres we gave them at the corner of our place. My son has 5 acres on the other end of the property, and he doesn't have a problem, although he's not a teetotaler.
© 24hourcampfire