Home
All Campfire folks invited. This has been a grand event in the past and those who return year after year know the scheme. It may be even better if new folks decide to join the moment. Fun interaction, good food, shooting, etc.

Planned activities begin Friday afternoon/evening and it is fine to arrive earlier if you wish. Reply in the affirmative here if you plan to participate. This NFS Campground is located about 21 miles south of Quemado, NM.

A separate planning PM will be started to provide details and do needed planning. If you reply affirmative, you will be included in the PM.

P
Looking forward to being there and seeing good friends again. Making new friends has always been a bonus.
I do indeed intend to be there and look forward to it!
27, 28, 29 August is a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. So I figger you probably meant something like 25,26,27???

Don’t matter. Ii can work with any dates 😉! 99% sure I will do my best to be there.

Kaywoodie
Include me also!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
27, 28, 29 August is a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. So I figger you probably meant something like 25,26,27???

Don’t matter. Ii can work with any dates 😉! 99% sure I will do my best to be there.

Kaywoodie

Yes, the 25th through 27th.

Anyone getting there earlier in the week let me know, I may be archery deer hunting just across the Az line and can move over there.

Kent
where would one fly into if coming , that town is not on my map.

Norm
Fly into Albuquerque and rent a vehicle and drive down to Armijio Springs.
Word on the street deflave and his sockpuppets are going.
You might could fly into Showlow AZ. Plane hopping, might be a couple hundred bucks from Phoenix, I guess you would need to just check where you are from for options. Show low is about 100 miles to quemado, Albuquerque is about 150.

Quite a few people stay at the motel in quemado, it's about 20 miles to the campground, paved most of the way and cars have no problem.

If some needs tent and cot, bedding ect, I can bring a whole setup. Just bring cloths.

Kent
Originally Posted by 79S
Word on the street deflave and his sockpuppets are going.

There went the food budget...

Kent
Julia and I will try to make it, but it's doubtful since EPISD has decided, in their infinite wisdom, to not only end school late (June 12, 2023) but also to start incredibly early (8/2/23). Poor kids don't even get 2 months of Summer these days.

I don't remember the district asking me about their idea for an abbreviated summer, the Marxist bastages.

I'm also still in Big D helping out with Dad, since he's continuing to decline.
Officially meals from Friday dinner to Sunday breakfast are provided, earlier there's always food available to whoever is around.

The Largo hotel and Cafe has good food when people are sick of my cooking.

Kent
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Julia and I will try to make it, but it's doubtful since EPISD has decided, in their infinite wisdom, to not only end school late (June 12, 2023) but also to start incredibly early (8/2/23). Poor kids don't even get 2 months of Summer these days.

I don't remember the district asking me about their idea for an abbreviated summer, the Marxist bastages.

My grandkids start school Monday.

Kent
I may just plan on leaving early the morning of the 23rd!!!
Originally Posted by krp
You might could fly into Showlow AZ. Plane hopping, might be a couple hundred bucks from Phoenix, I guess you would need to just check where you are from for options. Show low is about 100 miles to quemado, Albuquerque is about 150.

Quite a few people stay at the motel in quemado, it's about 20 miles to the campground, paved most of the way and cars have no problem.

If some needs tent and cot, bedding ect, I can bring a whole setup. Just bring cloths.

Kent

I would be coming out of Vancouver B.C. so i will check out flights to Vegas, Phoenix and Albuq.

LAS V flights are cheep, I have a Nephew that Renovates Houses in Phoenix , I'll figure something out.

thanks
We have had folks do the Vegas fly in, it's farther, probably 450 miles, but making it an extended trip to include a stop at the grand canyon.

Kent
I’ll be there. Jace will be back on base by then for MCT. I don’t know about Jocie’s schedule yet.
Donelle
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by High_Noon

My grandkids start school Monday.

Kent

Jebus.
Well bummer.

I drew a muzzleloader tag in 6B for late Oct. Gas here in NorCal just hit the $5 a gallon mark, no telling where LGB will have it by the time of my hunt. Not going to be able to afford two trips to AZ this year. Kinda bummed as I'd love to meet some of you folks. And taste some of the food Kent cooks up.
Paul as I indicated in our phone discussion that I will make every effort to be there. A lot depends on my driver smile miles
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Well bummer.

I drew a muzzleloader tag in 6B for late Oct. Gas here in NorCal just hit the $5 a gallon mark, no telling where LGB will have it by the time of my hunt. Not going to be able to afford two trips to AZ this year. Kinda bummed as I'd love to meet some of you folks. And taste some of the food Kent cooks up.

Maybe you'll have a windfall, Geno, allowing you to make the trip. If so, be there!
TTT
Well bummer.

You can ride in the back of seafire's truck...

Kent
Can you guys add me to the list please? I'm not a for sure yet...we are doing some travelling lind of west of here and that time frame and going to try and make it work and meet some of you guys.

-John, Wife and three dogs with little travel trailer.
Probably 2 weeks out I'll make a group pm, boring stuff like menu and stuff, I'll add you in..

Kent
Is Jaguar gonna be there? I would love to meet that dumbass in the flesh, just to see if he's as stupid in person as he is on his "Q" threads.
It is a bummer that this gathering never works for me.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Is Jaguar gonna be there? I would love to meet that dumbass in the flesh, just to see if he's as stupid in person as he is on his "Q" threads.

He's never been before or showed interest, we have had a strong Texas showing in the past, I always enjoyed seeing kaywoodie, Blue, Ed and others.,, never know who may show up.

Kent
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm going to try a March event at Tonto, maybe you can make that one.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm going to try a March event at Tonto, maybe you can make that one.

Kent

That will work Kent and has in the past.
Kent - still working on scheduling, logistics, etc.
Regardless, I'd contribute to the food costs and other costs. Let me know.
Hoping to make it, but we'll have to see.
TTT

Mr. Bin - can we please have this as a sticky?
Originally Posted by krp
Well bummer.

Kent

That sounds like fun. I'll leave the wife to manage the gardens, chickens etc.

She'll love me even more when I get back..................assuming she doesn't change the locks on the doors while I'm gone!
Been a few years... looking forward to this event and seeing a bunch of friends.

Will do all possible to attend

Thanks for the heads up and the effort put into this fun weekend.
I think I can make it - so put me down as a tentative.
TTT
Ok Brian and Patrick I got you down for the PM.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Well bummer.

Kent

That sounds like fun. I'll leave the wife to manage the gardens, chickens etc.

She'll love me even more when I get back..................assuming she doesn't change the locks on the doors while I'm gone!

Remind her of the vows... for better or... worser in your case...

Kent
TTT
This is the 12th annual summer camp and shoot started with Ken Howell, he wanted some way for campfire members to gather and share comradery. It's been successful. Over the years around 100 different people have showed up, most in one year was 56.

We've been doing it long enough to have a memorial list, and it's gotten fairly long.

Anyway this will likely be my last, I plan being a sunbird, opposite of snowbird... explore the cooler northern states in the summers including Alaska.

If there's enough interest I'll continue an early spring event in Az that we've done before.

Kent
That first event was memorable - the AZ guys and I had gotten to know one another a bit because they stepped up to help me with Ken in the hospital/nursing home in Mesa because I could not get down there very often. Kent, Dennis, Darby, Tom, Ron, Joe (hope no one left out) were so good in doing that. At the end of Ken's stay there I went down to bring him back to NM and the AZ guys arranged to meet us for burgers, etc. It was great to meet all of them - and that evening the camping idea was born.

That first one was not easy due to forest closure to fires/camping (too dry) so we set up a big camp in the parking area/boat ramp at Quemado Lake. It went great and we met some fine new Campfire folks who took the open invite. Ben, Jon (will never forget Tom ragging on Jon about his gay toed slippers) and some others. We all drove up some wide canyon and had a great time shooting all sorts of stuff. That started the tradition of shooting comptetition. Kent started the great food tradition. I'll let you guess who started the wholesale BS tradition - but their names both start with the same letter.

The following summer we started the long run at Armijo Springs - a great site - and will be good to be there again.

Thanks for the memory, Kent.
TTT
I bought a new Bronco last week, so the trip will make a good 1st expedition for it. I may find myself cussing the 2 door version, wishing I'd bought the 4 door, for more storage space. smile

Unless I wind up picking someone up and sharing a ride, in which case I'll dust off the 21 Super Duty crew cab. I may have to do that anyway, if I haul lumber for bowling pin tables smile
Joe... roadrunner... has pins, was asking if he should bring them.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I've got 10 pins, maybe a few more, that I can bring. I don't recall what was done in the past as far as the pin tables. At the Hog Hunt I build them from scratch, which does get somewhat pricey. I don't mind if we have a good number of shooters.
Ok, we can figure the details in the group PM, we are a month out so the PM will happen in 2 weeks, gives us 2 weeks to plan.

Kent
Put Kat and I on the list!

Ed
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I've got 10 pins, maybe a few more, that I can bring. I don't recall what was done in the past as far as the pin tables. At the Hog Hunt I build them from scratch, which does get somewhat pricey. I don't mind if we have a good number of shooters.
Patrick, those previous tables were built on site in camp one summer and I stored them at my place from year to year. Eventually they became shot up and weather beaten - I think we burned them at later campfire.

Yes - at today's ridiculous prices, tables would be spendy. If tables prove to be too costly, maybe some ground arrangement with scoring boundaries would work, or maybe a plank, or maybe set up the pins on the rear deck of Darby's new GMC.

Others here probably have some ideas on alternatives.

Thanks for your interest and intent on this.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Put Kat and I on the list!

Ed
Good news here. Looking forward to seeing you two again.
P
Originally Posted by CCCC
Patrick, those previous tables were built on site in camp one summer and I stored them at my place from year to year. Eventually they became shot up and weather beaten - I think we burned them at later campfire.

Yes - at today's ridiculous prices, tables would be spendy. If tables prove to be too costly, maybe some ground arrangement with scoring boundaries would work, or maybe a plank, or maybe set up the pins on the rear deck of Darby's new GMC.

There is a hardware store in Quemado, IIRC? one that would have plywood and lumber?
There is a hardware store in Quemado, IIRC? one that would have plywood and lumber?
The hardware store has changed hands a couple of times since we lived up there - am not certain about what they carry. Now named McCoy's Hardware and Feed. (575) 773-4222
BTT.
Lunchtime bump

Ed
8/1 TTT. Please - a sticky?
963.8 to Quemado, NM.. that would be a trip ..
Originally Posted by ldholton
Yes - for certain. And, some great compadres have been driving well more than 1,000 miles to these events, and will again this year. A few years ago a fellow and his wife drove from New England. One lazy guy drove as little as 1 mile.

I did a trip from the AZ-NM border to Washington NC to help a friend move. Left June 30th at 0830 pulled up to my house July 4th at 0930. 4292 miles round trip. Several places on I40 are absolutely horrible. I think the worst was west bound 40 from the Texas border to Tucumcari NM. I sent a bill to NM DOT.
Originally Posted by hitandmiss

I did a trip from the AZ-NM border to Washington NC to help a friend move. Left June 30th at 0830 pulled up to my house July 4th at 0930. 4292 miles round trip. Several places on I40 are absolutely horrible. I think the worst was west bound 40 from the Texas border to Tucumcari NM. I sent a bill to NM DOT.
You made very good time, and the trip to Armijo Springs in August would be a snap compared to that. You are welcome.

I do know what you mean about I40 and that rough area in E. New Mexico. Some places east of OKC used to be pretty bad but I have not driven that for quite a while. I40 around Kingman, AZ and 93 north of there were poor a few days ago.
I don't go anywhere in the interstates anymore if I can avoid it. Life's too short to spend even a single day being shoved around by 18-wheelers mile after mile after never-ending mile.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I'll be there. Leaving (hopefully) Thursday morning to help set up. About a 6 hour drive for me, so no biggie. Waking up the GF is going to be the hard part. grin Tent camping for me again this year, so limited space.

I've got 20 pins. Should last us a couple years I think as I've seen some of you shoot and I'm not worried about you guys harming the pins... whistle laugh

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of "old" friends and hopefully getting to meet some new ones.

Safe travels to everyone coming...
Bump
TTT
TTT
I think this would be a great get-together and someday I would love to shake the hands of our southwest friends. I’ve had the privilege of meeting Paul and I look forward to doing so again.

Have fun and I’ll be with you all in spirit! 👍🏼
Next weekend I will start the Group camp planning PM, if anyone else wants to be included speak up I can't add anyone after.

My list includes all the core regulars and any new additions from this thread.

Kent
Wife and I would like to sign up.
Originally Posted by Tedo
Wife and I would like to sign up.

Ok

Just to be clear...

Being in the PM isn't required to come to the event, it will let you know about the food and shooting events. The shooting events are just fun and about comradery, bragging rights for the year.

If someone misses the group PM we can give out the info individually also.

All anyone needs to do is show up and make sleeping accommodations, Largo hotel, trailer, tent, truck shell. I can supply a tent shelter if needed, I have 3 or 4 available, just let me know.

Food is supplied Friday dinner to Sunday breakfast, if early there is usually food available.

Best to bring drinks though there will be coolers with a bunch, snacks you may want and a coffee cup.

Kent
Wish I could join you this year but it's not going to work out. Still hoping Miles Patton will want to make squirrel dogs out of my mini dachshunds.
This is the first I’ve heard of a get together like this. It’s not too far away for me and in my usual NM hunting units. I plan on this in the future.
Originally Posted by PaintedDesert
This is the first I’ve heard of a get together like this. It’s not too far away for me and in my usual NM hunting units. I plan on this in the future.

We've had at least 1 once a year and sometimes 2 at different times and locations throughout the years (10?). They are a lot of fun and you get to meet some great people, have some awesome food and just a little bit of BSing.....
Since 2010

Kent
Thanks, Kent, for making the group PM happen. This current thread will become unimportant once that PM starts and all of the detailed info/planning will be there. So - get on the list now if you even think you may be there.

Kent does a great job with food and brings most of it, and some others usually pitch in to help with some of the planned meals. Those who don't come prepared to put some commensurate $$ into Kent's pocket.

This is shaping up to be another fine event.
Originally Posted by hitandmiss

You made very good time, and the trip to Armijo Springs in August would be a snap compared to that. You are welcome.

I do know what you mean about I40 and that rough area in E. New Mexico. Some places east of OKC used to be pretty bad but I have not driven that for quite a while. I40 around Kingman, AZ and 93 north of there were poor a few days ago.

Not as bad as some of the roads in California on the way down there....

Can't believe I've missed this for the last 2 weeks... was wondering why the PMs stopped coming...

I'll be there if I'm still alive and haven't been hit by a bus or dump truck yet. Wife has to work. She put in for time off for the get together to be the normal July time... she's been off from work for 2.5 weeks when she returns to work that Wednesday. She is taking more time of in September to go back and visit friends in Massachusetts, or early October. She wants to see it when the leaves have turned color... Has always dreamed of that...

Let me know what I can bring. Am taking a break doing some re wiring on my vehicle to tow a trailer to bring all the extra stuff for others to use. Darn wiring broke after X amount of years of service...

I think Que Tomato is about 1300 or 1400 miles for me one way.....depending on the route I take... two day trip unless I take some side trips home....been busy up this way this summer.....too busy.
John - time is flying and the event date has crept up on me a bit - I also need to work on the camping rig and do some reloading/shooting prep.

If your wife wants to see turning leaves in MA this fall, even late Sept. may be too early for biggest color - unless cold weather comes really early or she drives way up into northern NE. We did the full swing last Fall and it seemed like mid to late Oct was good - driving north to south.

There are web sites/online maps of NE that show the likely progression.

See you soon.
Would y'all be so kind to add me to the PM list. Hopefully my wife will make the trip.
Thanks, Vince
Yes - for certain. And, some great compadres have been driving well more than 1,000 miles to these events, and will again this year. A few years ago a fellow and his wife drove from New England. One lazy guy drove as little as 1 mile.

And - that mile was round-trip! laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Would y'all be so kind to add me to the PM list. Hopefully my wife will make the trip.
Thanks, Vince

You got it Vince.

Kent
bump
TTT
tag
Wish I could make it. Sounds like fun.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Wish I could join you this year but it's not going to work out. Still hoping Miles Patton will want to make squirrel dogs out of my mini dachshunds.
Ouch - sorry you won't be with us - 'twas fun meeting you and your wife. Miles can probably make a squirrel dog from almost any, but I'm not sure about those tiny weiners.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Maybe someone has more pictures
Thanks for the bump Kent. I missed you post of the pics the other day.
Wish I could of made it!
Maybe the next one if I can get my foot fixed.
Thanks for the photos, Kent. Sorry - I took none.

This was an excellent gathering of some of the finest folks from the Campfire - all at their best. We enjoyed again being with our SW gang as well as great guys who drove from as far away as Oregon, Texas, Louisiana, Colorado, etc.. Three days in the beautiful Gila NF at 8,000 ft.

In addition to the rewarding conversations/discussions and entertaining stories, we had plenty of shooting - the traditional contests as well as various sized steel out to 300 yards (thanks, Randy) up the gentle draw.

In addition to the first class food (seemingly all day), we had beautiful weather, a huge double rainbow one evening, and plenteous elk to view.

Of course, we dearly missed a few of our usual participants who could not get to the event this year. For me, these gatherings are a must if at all possible.

Thanks to all who pitched in and made this such a success.
You guys look older than dirt
That’s cool.
Wonder if there are others in different states
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
You guys look older than dirt
Am thinking you simply have developed a vision problem - or dirty eyes. We did talk about you - were your ears burning?
Ha
© 24hourcampfire