Home
His dad says hockey comes first for 13-year-old Ryker Copp, but hunting is a close second. That may change after the teen from Warren, MN bagged a huge elk Sunday.

......field dressed between 950 and 1,000 lbs

Story Here

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There has always been some big elk in that Kittson County herd. There was another herd in Marshall Co that they moved to the White Earth reservation because of crop depredation. Strangely, all those elk disappeared.

The kid did good.
I'm thinking that elk had Manitoba DNA.

Had to be what, 1,200# on the hoof?
Originally Posted by SupFoo

LOL, ya. No.

“ The rack on the bull measured 8 feet by 10 feet”

Lots bullsheet in that story.
If I remember correctly those elk go back and forth between the US and Manitoba east of the Red River.
I'm thinking that elk had Manitoba DNA.

I have a friend that bow hunts elk and takes it very seriously, like he take the entire month of September off work and hunts every day. He has killed some giant bulls, just west of Sundry Alberta, one cranker was well over 1,000 lbs.

That is one very fortunate young man, how I wish I grew up out west and hunted big game when I was his age!
1000 pound elk exist only on the net forums.
.field dressed between 950 and 1,000 lbs

that's as far as one needs to read to know it's a BS story
who cares. thats not elk hunting that looks like shooting elk in a pasture.
His dad says hockey comes first for 13-year-old Ryker Copp, but hunting is a close second. That may change after the teen from Warren, MN bagged a huge elk Sunday.

Story Here

So the kid weighs 250# and has 4' arms?
The heaviest Montana elk ever weighed on a certified scale weighed 1010 pounds whole, while the heaviest field-dressed weighed 810. (Dunno if it was the same elk.)

The same animals further north in North America tend to weigh more, due to Bergmann's Rule, a good example being Alaska-Yukon moose. But still tend to doubt the claim of 1000 pounds field-dressed....

Story Here

Looks like a high fence in the back 40.

Congratulations on the young man’s first tourism elk hunt.

🦫
Originally Posted by losttrail60

Tell the kid and his Dad that, you moron.
Isn’t that roundoaks kid?
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Dumb fuggin Floridians pretending they know something about elk. Stick to lizards old timer.
The weight of the animal is bogus so is the description of the horns in the article.

But awesome for the kid.

And here come the old maids on the campfire dissing the hunt. Because they’d never shoot something in a hayfield. 🙄
Originally Posted by Tesoro

How is it not elk hunting?
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Story Here

Looks like a high fence in the back 40.

Congratulations on the young man’s first tourism elk hunt.

🦫

They’re not. They’re wild. MN gives out very few tags for elk. So the bulls that get shot are typically monsters.

Dumb fuggin Floridians pretending they know something about elk. Stick to lizards old timer.

Nah, I'll just rely on you, expert.

You fugking moron.

You fugking moron.

If you have ever laid your hands on an elk you would realize how stoopid the claims in this story are.
There's a lot of jealous green eyed monsters in this room. I say good for the kid. Well done.
PJ
+1

As do dumbasses like you, Jell-O, Gayghost and Houston_2

Dumb fughk Floridians pretend they are Patriots and vote like you.

You fugking moron.

If you have ever laid your hands on an elk you would realize how stoopid the claims in this story are.

Coming from some limpdick troll that has never posted a picture of anything related to his life, nor does he ever divulge his location. Hiding under the bed like a little girl. Yeah, like anybody is going to believe anything you say.
I will just add this this to the conversation for what it’s worth. I graduated eighth grade in 1964. Got a Savage 99 rifle in 308 Winchester and went elk hunting in September that year. My dad called up a bull elk and I shot it. Entered it in the big elk contest in Payson. It weighed 485 pounds field dressed without the head and hide. The guy that weighed it asked about the head and hide, we told him it was back at camp. He said they usually come in with head and hide attached so we might not win the contest. Turns out I did win the contest that year and won a Remington 700ADL rifle. This was in Arizona.
They just seem that heavy when you are trying to move them into position to gut them. Or load them on a horse or mule to pack out.
8'x10' rack sounds legit though. Hahahaha
Anyone have an idea how much just the antlers would weigh?
The kid shot a beauty despite what over excited adults said about it in a very poorly written story.
Those elk move back and forth between MN over there and Manitoba. Good elk genetics I believe, it was 15 years or so ago some monster of an elk was found on its back, antlers buried in the ground after trying to jump a fence and could not be freed.

There may be fences in the background, lotta property line fences over there, a good amount of agriculture. They hunted it and took it legally. Hats off to motivated young hunter and a job well done.

Osky

🤔🤔
How big do rosevelts get?

The northern deer in Minnesota are much bigger than the whitetail here. The bigger one gets the more efficient against the cold.

I wonder how it will taste? The northern deer in Minnesota are rather strong in flavor.
Originally Posted by 700LH

Absolutely.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
How big do rosevelts get?

The northern deer in Minnesota are much bigger than the whitetail here. The bigger one gets the more efficient against the cold.

I wonder how it will taste? The northern deer in Minnesota are rather strong in flavor.

A big bull would be 700lb to 800lbs all up. That’s a big Rosie!

I’ve laid my hands on a lot of Roosevelt elk. I don’t believe ever having one that I would say was over 700lbs.

🦫
That’s on the hoof weights or field dressed?
That’s on the hoof weights or field dressed?

Hoof

🦫
WOW!

Because looking at rosevelts in the field they appear much bigger than the Rocky Mountain ones I see around here.
WOW!

Because looking at rosevelts in the field they appear much bigger than the Rocky Mountain ones I see around here.

Typically they are bigger bodied. You see a Roosevelt with big headgear, he’s going to look pretty impressive.

You walk up on a dead Roosevelt rag horn, typically his body is still going to be damn big compared to a medium sized Rocky Mtn elk with good sized horns.

🦫
Regardless of all the jealous chatter about weight and fences, the boy done good. Bully for him...
He will have a hard time topping that.
The critters are really roaming this fall, moose in Iowa and SD, I saw a couple pictures a friend showed me of elk in a corn field in northeast Nebraska.
More teen gun violence.
Nice looking family, sounds like the kid is in a good place.

Hope it's all real for the kid's sake.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
[quote=TimberRunner][quote=SupFoo]

🤔🤔
Yeah sure, I needed a good laugh this morning.
I live about 30 minutes from there. You should see the really big ones in that herd. They are considerably larger than the ones out west. I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd. I also know they guy that found the one that tried to jump the fence and didn't survive. Stop being jealous.

I'm not sure if the links work but here are some examples.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2023/09/13/roseau-siblings-kill-two-massive-bull-elk-during-first-days-of-minnesota-season/#:~:text=Gary%20Przekwas%2C%2058%2C%20and%20Sharlene%20Peterson%2C%2063%2C%20have,dreamed%20about%20hunting%20elk%20in%20Minnesota%20for%20years.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/phot...d-elk-found-back-huge-antlers-stuck-mud/

The one Gary shot is very impressive. Google, Kittson, elk, trophy, to see pics of these monsters.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd.

But, but, but....they can't be. They're bigger than the ones the "real" elk hunters have ever seen.

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

It's not different than deer. The older they get the bigger they get. Same with the elk. Especially when they have virtually no hunting pressure.
I do not care how he shot it...good luck to the lad, and good on his dad for getting him out of the house.
BuzzTard likes bragging about things a 13 year old can do. What a dipshit
[quote=Angus1895]How big do rosevelts get?

I shot my first elk in 1995. He was a big 5X5 with a small herd of cows. This was in Siskiyou county in northern California. The 4 quarters hanging in the cooler bone in weighed a total of 535 pounds. A couple of years later a friend shot a big 6X5 that was even heavier. We did not get a weight on this one.
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd.

But, but, but....they can't be. They're bigger than the ones the "real" elk hunters have ever seen.

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

It's not different than deer. The older they get the bigger they get. Same with the elk. Especially when they have virtually no hunting pressure.

I have no doubt he shot it free range and fair chase, we get asked the same questions about our elk here since we aren’t in the mountains.

But its antlers are not 8 foot by 10 foot like stated in the article. And there’s a very very slim chance it weighed 1000lb live weight, let alone dressed.

Happy for the kid, outstanding bull. Hope I get to snap a pic next month of my kid with one.
very nice bull ! congrats

That is elk shooting. go chase them in the mountains if you want to 'hunt'
8x10 point. Not bad. Congrats kid.

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

I don’t recall any direct quotes from the boy on weight or antler size? The article was poorly written and probably contains a whole bunch of overly excited proud fathers input and rightly so. So what.
That country over there as illustrated has produced some super, flat land, grain fed elk.
I think the distances stated were a bit off in the article as too, maybe that should disqualify and diminish what the young hunter did as well?
I hope this is just the beginning for the young hunter. All that excitement going on and he made a one shot drop , atta boy.

Osky
Hell yes good for the boy👍
Originally Posted by 700LH

They must have borrowed shaman's scale.

But knuckle-bump to the youngster, that's pretty cool.
That young man is ruined for life, never shoot a monster in your early years....it's all downhill from there.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
There's a lot of jealous green eyed monsters in this room. I say good for the kid. Well done.
PJ

yeah, a kid shoots a darn big sized elk....

but in campfire fashion, an argument ensues about what the elk "weighs"....

Well kid... congrats, even if it weighed in at 500 pounds and the picture of you with your elk, was photoshopped by dad...

heck, I've seen humans that weighed 500 and 600 pounds...we had a patient that was brought in when I worked at the University of Washington Hospital in Seattle when I got out of the Army, that they brought in from Bainbridge Island, that weighed 1200 pounds... hadn't been out of his house in 2 years and the fire dept had to cut him out.. medical maintenance had to make him a bed, out of several hospital beds and even had to weld shock absorbers on it.. think Jabba the Hut.... I use to keep a recording from the radio that announced when this guy was brought in to us. Being a Male on staff, I was one of the ones that had to help move him to the 5th floor ICU. We brought his weight down to 600 pounds and they send him home.

The kid deserves that kudos for his trophy, not a bunch of people who never saw the animal, busy arguing over its size potential.
According to the history of transplanting elk into MN, they moved some in from Manitoba and "western" U.S.

There are some monster elk shot outside Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba.

Look at a map, not hard to imagine a few walking their way to MN (or ND).

Some have even been shot inside the park (surprise!)

Killerbee will be by shortly to verify.
Good for the kid, probably the last elk he will ever take. Doesn't diminish his accomplishment in any way.

U got one right after all those posts....

Right up there with all those 2,000 lb moose.

Probably. We'll never know for sure.

But as Seafire said! Congrats are in order.

Best I could do this year myself was just pics of a sub-legal moose..... but they are pretty good pics! smile
Good kid right there and starting out right. Trouble is in the fact he will probably never get a bigger bull for the rest of his life. He can enjoy life trying to just the same.
According to the history of transplanting elk into MN, they moved some in from Manitoba and "western" U.S.

There are some monster elk shot outside Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba.

I lived beside Riding Mountain National Park for 7 years, there are some huge elk there since you can not hunt in the park and they get massive the cold weather has a lot to do with it.

But the biggest bodied Elk I have ever seen was my friend's elk he killed west of Sundre Alberta, his was over 1,000 lbs and bigger than any moose I have ever seen, I had the picture, but lost it when my house burned down. It was accessible by vehicle so he hired a tow truck to haul it out, it was way bigger than any moose I have seen in person. The weight was not gutted or field dressed. The picture I had was it attached to the tow truck, mind blowing!

There are giant Whitetails in Alberta as well, one of mine scored over 203 B&C Typical and was so big I could not load it into my truck by myself, I had to drag it to a culvert and back my truck into the ditch so the tailgate was level to the ground so I could pull it into the truck, I never weighed it but it was massive and well over 300 lbs.

Here are a few giant elk from Albert, the first one is the Pope and Young Non Typical World Record it scores 449 4/8, not sure what the second one scores or the third but look at the neck and shoulder, MASSIVE!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6.5 Creedenhammer. Someone had to say it...
All, read the article again. It now says it was an 8x 10 (points not feet). The story was probably screwed up by a non hunting reporter.

If I remember right, the original distance for the shot was not in yards as is written now. It was in meters I think or maybe even feet.

As for the weight, who knows but I am happy for the whole family.
Originally Posted by KillerBee

I lived beside Riding Mountain National Park for 7 years, there are some huge elk there since you can not hunt in the park and they get massive the cold weather has a lot to do with it.

But the biggest bodied Elk I have ever seen was my friend's elk he killed west of Sundre Alberta, his was over 1,000 lbs and bigger than any moose I have ever seen, I had the picture, but lost it when my house burned down. It was accessible by vehicle so he hired a tow truck to haul it out, it was way bigger than any moose I have seen in person. The weight was not gutted or field dressed. The picture I had was it attached to the tow truck, mind blowing!

There are giant Whitetails in Alberta as well, one of mine scored over 203 B&C Typical and was so big I could not load it into my truck by myself, I had to drag it to a culvert and back my truck into the ditch so the tailgate was level to the ground so I could pull it into the truck, I never weighed it but it was massive and well over 300 lbs.

Here are a few giant elk from Albert, the first one is the Pope and Young Non Typical World Record it scores 449 4/8, not sure what the second one scores or the third but look at the neck and shoulder, MASSIVE!

The 2nd is an old pic. Been floating around forever.

It was a high fence bull.
Originally Posted by KillerBee

The 2nd is an old pic. Been floating around forever.

It was a high fence bull.

You could be right, I can post lots more. My point is There are MONSTER BULL ELK in ALBERTA! New Mexico has nothing over us.

Hunting penned animals is Horse Chit and not hunting in my opinion. Only worth doing if you are wheelchair bound, then it's understandable and acceptable.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
All, read the article again. It now says it was an 8x 10 (points not feet). The story was probably screwed up by a non hunting reporter.

If I remember right, the original distance for the shot was not in yards as is written now. It was in meters I think or maybe even feet.

As for the weight, who knows but I am happy for the whole family.

Yes, now says 359 yards, not feet.

Still says 950 and 1,000 lbs though, so guess you doubters are stuck with it. smile

Author: Dana Thiede
Published: 10:00 AM CDT September 27, 2023
Updated: 8:02 AM CDT September 28, 2023

Chick wrote it, if that means anything. LoL

Would like the technicals - cartridge, bullet, gun, etc.
Anyone have an idea how much just the antlers would weigh?

Collected and sold a lot of shed elk horns by the pound, most are pretty dried but 8 to 10 pounds each would be absolutely huge, as would a 750 pound bull elk.
Didn't know MS-13 gang bangers even hunted.....animals
That’s cool! Congrats to him
Originally Posted by TheKid

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

I have no doubt he shot it free range and fair chase, we get asked the same questions about our elk here since we aren’t in the mountains.

But its antlers are not 8 foot by 10 foot like stated in the article. And there’s a very very slim chance it weighed 1000lb live weight, let alone dressed.

Happy for the kid, outstanding bull. Hope I get to snap a pic next month of my kid with one.

Well everyone but the writer knows it was t 8x10. laugh I have no idea how much an elk weighs but I HIGHLY doubt it was 1k dressed. And when you say “between 950 and 1000” we know it wasnt weighed.

That is elk shooting. go chase them in the mountains if you want to 'hunt'

Lol. Ok sport.

I’ve been to OR plenty. I could hit them with a sling shot in a hayfield. My family with. 2 ac yard shoots them every year in OR. Super tough “hunting.” Lmao
Originally Posted by Osky

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

I don’t recall any direct quotes from the boy on weight or antler size? The article was poorly written and probably contains a whole bunch of overly excited proud fathers input and rightly so. So what.
That country over there as illustrated has produced some super, flat land, grain fed elk.
I think the distances stated were a bit off in the article as too, maybe that should disqualify and diminish what the young hunter did as well?
I hope this is just the beginning for the young hunter. All that excitement going on and he made a one shot drop , atta boy.

Osky

I think he did great!
And when you say “between 950 and 1000” we know it wasnt weighed.

Maybe it was on a chitty truck scale. Or chitty hanging scale.

Or a chitty gubbermint scale. Limited hunt like that, would guess they were required to check-in the animal.
Originally Posted by RAM
Didn't know MS-13 gang bangers even hunted.....animals

They shoot each other all the time!
The elk in Minnesota/Manitoba are different than other elk I am sure, and they're certainly not Roosevelts I presume. Regardless, I think this message from Alaska Department of Fish and Game still is relevant to this discussion, since the context seems to be generalized of 'elk size':

Originally Posted by ADFG
Bull elk on Afognak Island are estimated to weigh up to 1,300 lbs
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks
I thank weuns shud all git Inna Fite bout iffin tha thang wayed 900 er 'leven hunnert pounds.

Well, it's sumpin really importan.
Awesomeness
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I thank weuns shud all git Inna Fite bout iffin tha thang wayed 900 er 'leven hunnert pounds.

Back into the brandy I see
When I was fifteen, I got an elk in Alberta (Kananaskis). It probably dressed out at about 500 but it seemed like a thousand by the time we got it out (about a four mile pack, took two trips). Good to see a kid in the news for the right reasons. GD
Regardless of all the naysayers ,the kid shot a monster Elk . One very few will here ever match . Hunters and Fishermen expounding on size .No way .

Back into the brandy I see

Never bothered dumbasses to lie, at least while still alive.

You're too stupid to get a clue from Trump about Q and you're too stupid to get a clue from your Creator about bearing false witness, too.

And you're way too stupid to realize I love trolling dumbfughks like you into sending your slings and arrows at me.

I thInk weuns shud all git Inna Fite bout iffin tha thang wayed FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS OR NINE HUNDRED POUNDS.
FIXT. OK.
SupFoo: Thanks for the link and good for that young Hunter.
I don't think I could get that one in my truck by myself!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I’ve hunted up in that area many times for deer. Hunting elk up in northwestern Minnesota is a once in lifetime tag. The terrain in that area is flat as a pancake. I have heard that the elk migrate between Manitoba and Minnesota and the are definitely impressive animals. There are mostly open fields up there mixed with hardwood thickets. Access to the private land is easy because most of the farmers want them out of their hayfields. Once you locate a herd the hardest part would be dropping them in an area where you can load them into a truck, because even dragging a deer out in those hardwood thickets is a chore.
Chunks are easier.
What nice bull. Good for that kid shoot a monster like that.

“MAYBE” and a big maybe, 1000lb on hoof.
I think a big moose would be 1000? Idk, I’ve never sbot a moose.
And what is wrong with hunting close to home and shooting them where you find them? How pray tell, does that diminish the kid's achievement?

Sounds like ugly jealousy to me, but I admit I'm not a mind reader.

Never said I did. You sure as fugk don't. You fugking moron.

Stupid commie bastard.

Get back on your "trail".

You been outside what, four times in your life?

Lol.
Originally Posted by jmdriver
Isn’t that roundoaks kid?
Laughin’ 😂

Ummmm, yeah, I'm sure you'd turn down the opportunity - or even western private land ranches at lower elevation that are teeming with animals.

Had tag, perfectly legal, fair chase - good on the lad.
Every time I see a huge elk, I'm reminded of the Patrick McManus story where he and his cousin went hunting and one of them killed an elk. They fought over how much the guy who didn't shoot it should get then months later they argued again that the guy who didn't shoot it should have to come get more, but he was like no way. Lol, another classic from ol Pat.
Originally Posted by SKane

Ummmm, yeah, I'm sure you'd turn down the opportunity - or even western private land ranches at lower elevation that are teeming with animals.

Had tag, perfectly legal, fair chase - good on the lad.

This. I agree granders of the Rocky Mountain strain are out there in the lower areas for sure. Less strenuous country. With all the growth additives going into the planted feed the ek can access there will be more as time moves on, if the bulls are left to mature.
Osky
Originally Posted by Hastings
And what is wrong with hunting close to home and shooting them where you find them? How pray tell, does that diminish the kid's achievement?

Sounds like ugly jealousy to me, but I admit I'm not a mind reader.

I suspect you are right.
So if an animal crosses between 2 patches of timber out in the open one is to pass and not shoot unless in the timber?

Don't shoot elk out in big hay fields?
There’s more than one way to hunt elk. Just like hunting deer.

Here in Oregon where I hunt it tends to be rugged. Wilderness areas (Mt. Washington, Mt. Jefferson, Sky Lakes) with no roads and damn sure no farmer’s fields. Pull bulls out in pieces on your back. Tough duty.

Doesn’t make what the kid did not hunting. That’s how they do it there. Good on him.

P
Originally Posted by 338Rem
6.5 Creedenhammer. Someone had to say it...
An article and 5 pages of pixels spilled and this is the only word on the rifle or cartridge?!!

Absolutely shameful! mad
359 yard shot.....DRT

impressive..... . ...

What velocity, energy and bullet/caliber should one use on a bull elk under these conditions..........

Sorry, but ive skipped 5 pages on this thread.
Originally Posted by SCgman1
359 yard shot.....DRT

impressive..... . ...

What velocity, energy and bullet/caliber should one use on a bull elk under these conditions..........

Sorry, but ive skipped 5 pages on this thread.

7mm-08, 150 eldx, mv 2790.

Energy schmenergy, I focus on velocity.

P
© 24hourcampfire