Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
He will have a hard time topping that.
The critters are really roaming this fall, moose in Iowa and SD, I saw a couple pictures a friend showed me of elk in a corn field in northeast Nebraska.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
More teen gun violence.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Nice looking family, sounds like the kid is in a good place.

Hope it's all real for the kid's sake.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by SupFoo
[quote=TimberRunner][quote=SupFoo]

......field dressed between 950 and 1,000 lbs

🤔🤔
Yeah sure, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live about 30 minutes from there. You should see the really big ones in that herd. They are considerably larger than the ones out west. I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd. I also know they guy that found the one that tried to jump the fence and didn't survive. Stop being jealous.

I'm not sure if the links work but here are some examples.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2023/09/13/roseau-siblings-kill-two-massive-bull-elk-during-first-days-of-minnesota-season/#:~:text=Gary%20Przekwas%2C%2058%2C%20and%20Sharlene%20Peterson%2C%2063%2C%20have,dreamed%20about%20hunting%20elk%20in%20Minnesota%20for%20years.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/phot...d-elk-found-back-huge-antlers-stuck-mud/

The one Gary shot is very impressive. Google, Kittson, elk, trophy, to see pics of these monsters.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd.

But, but, but....they can't be. They're bigger than the ones the "real" elk hunters have ever seen.

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

It's not different than deer. The older they get the bigger they get. Same with the elk. Especially when they have virtually no hunting pressure.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I do not care how he shot it...good luck to the lad, and good on his dad for getting him out of the house.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
BuzzTard likes bragging about things a 13 year old can do. What a dipshit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[quote=Angus1895]How big do rosevelts get?

I shot my first elk in 1995. He was a big 5X5 with a small herd of cows. This was in Siskiyou county in northern California. The 4 quarters hanging in the cooler bone in weighed a total of 535 pounds. A couple of years later a friend shot a big 6X5 that was even heavier. We did not get a weight on this one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd.

But, but, but....they can't be. They're bigger than the ones the "real" elk hunters have ever seen.

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

It's not different than deer. The older they get the bigger they get. Same with the elk. Especially when they have virtually no hunting pressure.

I have no doubt he shot it free range and fair chase, we get asked the same questions about our elk here since we aren’t in the mountains.

But its antlers are not 8 foot by 10 foot like stated in the article. And there’s a very very slim chance it weighed 1000lb live weight, let alone dressed.

Happy for the kid, outstanding bull. Hope I get to snap a pic next month of my kid with one.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
very nice bull ! congrats

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tesoro
who cares. thats not elk hunting that looks like shooting elk in a pasture.

How is it not elk hunting?

That is elk shooting. go chase them in the mountains if you want to 'hunt'

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
8x10 point. Not bad. Congrats kid.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

I don’t recall any direct quotes from the boy on weight or antler size? The article was poorly written and probably contains a whole bunch of overly excited proud fathers input and rightly so. So what.
That country over there as illustrated has produced some super, flat land, grain fed elk.
I think the distances stated were a bit off in the article as too, maybe that should disqualify and diminish what the young hunter did as well?
I hope this is just the beginning for the young hunter. All that excitement going on and he made a one shot drop , atta boy.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hell yes good for the boy👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
.field dressed between 950 and 1,000 lbs

that's as far as one needs to read to know it's a BS story

They must have borrowed shaman's scale.

But knuckle-bump to the youngster, that's pretty cool.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That young man is ruined for life, never shoot a monster in your early years....it's all downhill from there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner
There's a lot of jealous green eyed monsters in this room. I say good for the kid. Well done.
PJ

yeah, a kid shoots a darn big sized elk....

but in campfire fashion, an argument ensues about what the elk "weighs"....

Well kid... congrats, even if it weighed in at 500 pounds and the picture of you with your elk, was photoshopped by dad...

heck, I've seen humans that weighed 500 and 600 pounds...we had a patient that was brought in when I worked at the University of Washington Hospital in Seattle when I got out of the Army, that they brought in from Bainbridge Island, that weighed 1200 pounds... hadn't been out of his house in 2 years and the fire dept had to cut him out.. medical maintenance had to make him a bed, out of several hospital beds and even had to weld shock absorbers on it.. think Jabba the Hut.... I use to keep a recording from the radio that announced when this guy was brought in to us. Being a Male on staff, I was one of the ones that had to help move him to the 5th floor ICU. We brought his weight down to 600 pounds and they send him home.

The kid deserves that kudos for his trophy, not a bunch of people who never saw the animal, busy arguing over its size potential.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
According to the history of transplanting elk into MN, they moved some in from Manitoba and "western" U.S.

There are some monster elk shot outside Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba.

Look at a map, not hard to imagine a few walking their way to MN (or ND).

Some have even been shot inside the park (surprise!)

Killerbee will be by shortly to verify.

Last edited by SupFoo; 09/28/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good for the kid, probably the last elk he will ever take. Doesn't diminish his accomplishment in any way.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (AB2506, ATC, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,895
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.