Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by losttrail60
1000 pound elk exist only on the net forums.

U got one right after all those posts....

Right up there with all those 2,000 lb moose.

Probably. We'll never know for sure.

But as Seafire said! Congrats are in order.

Best I could do this year myself was just pics of a sub-legal moose..... but they are pretty good pics! smile

Last edited by las; 09/28/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Good kid right there and starting out right. Trouble is in the fact he will probably never get a bigger bull for the rest of his life. He can enjoy life trying to just the same.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SupFoo
According to the history of transplanting elk into MN, they moved some in from Manitoba and "western" U.S.

There are some monster elk shot outside Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba.

Look at a map, not hard to imagine a few walking their way to MN (or ND).

Some have even been shot inside the park (surprise!)

Killerbee will be by shortly to verify.

I lived beside Riding Mountain National Park for 7 years, there are some huge elk there since you can not hunt in the park and they get massive the cold weather has a lot to do with it.

But the biggest bodied Elk I have ever seen was my friend's elk he killed west of Sundre Alberta, his was over 1,000 lbs and bigger than any moose I have ever seen, I had the picture, but lost it when my house burned down. It was accessible by vehicle so he hired a tow truck to haul it out, it was way bigger than any moose I have seen in person. The weight was not gutted or field dressed. The picture I had was it attached to the tow truck, mind blowing!

There are giant Whitetails in Alberta as well, one of mine scored over 203 B&C Typical and was so big I could not load it into my truck by myself, I had to drag it to a culvert and back my truck into the ditch so the tailgate was level to the ground so I could pull it into the truck, I never weighed it but it was massive and well over 300 lbs.

Here are a few giant elk from Albert, the first one is the Pope and Young Non Typical World Record it scores 449 4/8, not sure what the second one scores or the third but look at the neck and shoulder, MASSIVE!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/28/23.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 Creedenhammer. Someone had to say it...

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All, read the article again. It now says it was an 8x 10 (points not feet). The story was probably screwed up by a non hunting reporter.

If I remember right, the original distance for the shot was not in yards as is written now. It was in meters I think or maybe even feet.

As for the weight, who knows but I am happy for the whole family.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by KillerBee
According to the history of transplanting elk into MN, they moved some in from Manitoba and "western" U.S.

There are some monster elk shot outside Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba.

I lived beside Riding Mountain National Park for 7 years, there are some huge elk there since you can not hunt in the park and they get massive the cold weather has a lot to do with it.

But the biggest bodied Elk I have ever seen was my friend's elk he killed west of Sundre Alberta, his was over 1,000 lbs and bigger than any moose I have ever seen, I had the picture, but lost it when my house burned down. It was accessible by vehicle so he hired a tow truck to haul it out, it was way bigger than any moose I have seen in person. The weight was not gutted or field dressed. The picture I had was it attached to the tow truck, mind blowing!

There are giant Whitetails in Alberta as well, one of mine scored over 203 B&C Typical and was so big I could not load it into my truck by myself, I had to drag it to a culvert and back my truck into the ditch so the tailgate was level to the ground so I could pull it into the truck, I never weighed it but it was massive and well over 300 lbs.

Here are a few giant elk from Albert, the first one is the Pope and Young Non Typical World Record it scores 449 4/8, not sure what the second one scores or the third but look at the neck and shoulder, MASSIVE!

The 2nd is an old pic. Been floating around forever.

It was a high fence bull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Originally Posted by KillerBee

The 2nd is an old pic. Been floating around forever.

It was a high fence bull.

You could be right, I can post lots more. My point is There are MONSTER BULL ELK in ALBERTA! New Mexico has nothing over us.

Hunting penned animals is Horse Chit and not hunting in my opinion. Only worth doing if you are wheelchair bound, then it's understandable and acceptable.

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/28/23.

KB

SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
All, read the article again. It now says it was an 8x 10 (points not feet). The story was probably screwed up by a non hunting reporter.

If I remember right, the original distance for the shot was not in yards as is written now. It was in meters I think or maybe even feet.

As for the weight, who knows but I am happy for the whole family.

Yes, now says 359 yards, not feet.

Still says 950 and 1,000 lbs though, so guess you doubters are stuck with it. smile

Author: Dana Thiede
Published: 10:00 AM CDT September 27, 2023
Updated: 8:02 AM CDT September 28, 2023

Chick wrote it, if that means anything. LoL

Would like the technicals - cartridge, bullet, gun, etc.

Last edited by SupFoo; 09/28/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have an idea how much just the antlers would weigh?

Collected and sold a lot of shed elk horns by the pound, most are pretty dried but 8 to 10 pounds each would be absolutely huge, as would a 750 pound bull elk.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't know MS-13 gang bangers even hunted.....animals

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s cool! Congrats to him

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd.

But, but, but....they can't be. They're bigger than the ones the "real" elk hunters have ever seen.

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

It's not different than deer. The older they get the bigger they get. Same with the elk. Especially when they have virtually no hunting pressure.

I have no doubt he shot it free range and fair chase, we get asked the same questions about our elk here since we aren’t in the mountains.

But its antlers are not 8 foot by 10 foot like stated in the article. And there’s a very very slim chance it weighed 1000lb live weight, let alone dressed.

Happy for the kid, outstanding bull. Hope I get to snap a pic next month of my kid with one.

Well everyone but the writer knows it was t 8x10. laugh I have no idea how much an elk weighs but I HIGHLY doubt it was 1k dressed. And when you say “between 950 and 1000” we know it wasnt weighed.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Originally Posted by Tesoro
who cares. thats not elk hunting that looks like shooting elk in a pasture.

How is it not elk hunting?

That is elk shooting. go chase them in the mountains if you want to 'hunt'

Lol. Ok sport.

I’ve been to OR plenty. I could hit them with a sling shot in a hayfield. My family with. 2 ac yard shoots them every year in OR. Super tough “hunting.” Lmao

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Osky
I'm not going to read the article or argue about the weight, but they are big. No pens, all free-ranging herd.

But, but, but....they can't be. They're bigger than the ones the "real" elk hunters have ever seen.

Stop being jealous.

Nailed it.

It's not different than deer. The older they get the bigger they get. Same with the elk. Especially when they have virtually no hunting pressure.

I don’t recall any direct quotes from the boy on weight or antler size? The article was poorly written and probably contains a whole bunch of overly excited proud fathers input and rightly so. So what.
That country over there as illustrated has produced some super, flat land, grain fed elk.
I think the distances stated were a bit off in the article as too, maybe that should disqualify and diminish what the young hunter did as well?
I hope this is just the beginning for the young hunter. All that excitement going on and he made a one shot drop , atta boy.

Osky

I think he did great!

SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And when you say “between 950 and 1000” we know it wasnt weighed.

Maybe it was on a chitty truck scale. Or chitty hanging scale.

Or a chitty gubbermint scale. Limited hunt like that, would guess they were required to check-in the animal.

Last edited by SupFoo; 09/28/23.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RAM
Didn't know MS-13 gang bangers even hunted.....animals

They shoot each other all the time!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The elk in Minnesota/Manitoba are different than other elk I am sure, and they're certainly not Roosevelts I presume. Regardless, I think this message from Alaska Department of Fish and Game still is relevant to this discussion, since the context seems to be generalized of 'elk size':

Originally Posted by ADFG
Bull elk on Afognak Island are estimated to weigh up to 1,300 lbs

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I thank weuns shud all git Inna Fite bout iffin tha thang wayed 900 er 'leven hunnert pounds.

Well, it's sumpin really importan.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/29/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesomeness

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, 6 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,687
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.