Home
My son and his significant other are buying their 1/4 acre of slice of Heaven with a house on it, I don’t think we call those new developments the ‘burbs any more.

He requested a lawnmower and a weedwhacker as housewarming gifts.

I already know Echo is the only way to go for weedwackers.

I could use a recommendation for a push mover.

Also, his lawn is mostly level, they ain’t even 40 yet, is a power assist push mower worth the extra complexity?
I mow about 1/4 of an acre. The self-propel isn't 100% necessary, but it's nice, especially in the summer, and speeds things up a decent bit. Have had a mid-priced Craftsman for 4 years now, never had an issue, and most of the time it sits out in the back getting rained on, etc. There are definitely nicer and more expensive options, but for this sort of mower, they don't seem worth it.
Just get a “Juan” to mow it
Wait a minute. You don’t ask about lawnmowers on this site. You ask about chainsaws. Got it!!!

As u were
I switched to Roundup on everything I can't hit with the mower, a brilliant move everyone should adopt. I would look at Facebook marketplace first for used mowers. My Craftsman is 17 years old and will probably go a few more years. I'll find a well used one when I need another, shiny is for suckers.
About half a dozen brush goats- - - -they're self propelled lawn mowers, and fertilizer spreaders all in one package!
1/4 acre. Buy a Kobalt battery powered weed eater and blower combo for $150 at Lowe’s. 5 year warranty. Always works (till the batteries die). Comparable with all Kobalt batteries in the same voltage. He will need a drill, impact, and saw soon enough. No help in the mower except Honda has a great rep.
A lawn mower is a deeply personal choice. No man should choose another man's mower for him. Time to grow up Peter Pan.
My recommendation for a regular non rider lawn mower be it self-propelled or manual push, would be pretty much whatever brand you like but as a absolute must it has to be powered by a Honda engine. Son bought a non Honda brand manual push mower ('Troy Bilt' maybe?) but with a Honda engine from Lowe's a few years back and year after year it's the best, most reliable, easy to push, level cutting, easy to start lawn mower, I've ever been around.
been using a pair of Honda 214's since the late 80's/early 90's... bought a manual push new, then a self propelled version used... the SP needs an engine rebuild after 30+ yrs of use and poor service by previous owner, so now i'm pushin' the manual one... don't know if Honda mowers are any good these days(or even if they still make them)... regardless, my advice, get a self propelled mower...
Have a husqavarna self propelled mower had it 4-5 yrs now. But I think gas mowers will be a thing of the past. All I see at home depot and Lowe’s is electric mowers. With a few gas push mowers.
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
been using a pair of Honda 214's since the late 80's/early 90's... bought a manual push new, then a self propelled version used... the SP needs an engine rebuild after 30+ yrs of use and poor service by previous owner, so now i'm pushin' the manual one... don't know if Honda mowers are any good these days(or even if they still make them)... regardless, my advice, get a self propelled mower...
Unfortunately Honda recently stopped selling mowers in the US due to regulations.
1/4 acre takes like 10 minutes to mow. Buy the cheapest new mower from Wally World and only run pure gasoline. ( no ethanol at all ).
My mower recommendation would have been a Honda push mower, mulching with self propel. Most worry free motor driven thing I've ever owned.

For a weedeater, for that size of lawn I recommend a battery operated model. So much less hassle/complication IME. I have RYOBI 40v as I have attachments that go with it. But, any big brand electric would work fine I think. Milwaukee has a big following and a whole lot of other tools that use the same batteries.
Waverly! A grass cutting sumbeech!!
Originally Posted by scottf270
1/4 acre takes like 10 minutes to mow. Buy the cheapest new mower from Wally World and only run pure gasoline. ( no ethanol at all ).

Heck yes. That freakin ethanol is bad news in small engines. It eventually destroys the seals in your fuel system.
I thought I could get away with it by using Startron fuel additive. But after 3 years it quit working because the gas ran through the carburetor into the crankcase.
Shoulda, coulda, woulda saved myself a big headache by buying good gas.
Reon
Something with a Kohler engine
I’m a kinda middle of the road guy. I won’t buy the most expensive or the cheapest. The last mower I bought was a Troy Built. Modern Briggs motors last a long time. This Troybuilt has been a dang good mower, about 14-15 years old, starts first pull. Replaced the carburetor one time, 27 bucks on Amazon. I’d buy another. I have a lawnboy with a brggs motor that’s probably 25 years old if I had to guess. Looks like hell but starts first, second pull.
Originally Posted by BCBH
Unfortunately Honda recently stopped selling mowers in the US due to regulations.
When? I just bought a brand new self- propelled mower in July with a Honda motor, starts first pull everytime.
get what fits the wife
Buy some extra carbs for the echo, he'll need'em
I usually push a troy bilt......but my current model doesn't offer a oil drain plug in the deck. Have to siphon to change oil.

New world.......old soul.......
Originally Posted by sherm_61
When? I just bought a brand new self- propelled mower in July with a Honda motor, starts first pull everytime.
https://www.rurallifestyledealer.com/articles/10359-honda-to-exit-the-lawn-mower-market
In 1999 I bought a Toro self driven push mower and it's still going strong. Have only changed filters, oil, and plugs.

It has been a great machine.
Second for the Toro. They start so easy. Or electric battery power for a flat not much to mow lawn.
No maintenance no gas.
For something that small I would get a battery powered EGO mower and trimmer. It folds up for easy storage, no gas or oil to mess with and no carburetor to worry about gumming up over the winter.
Since Honda quit making mowers I think I would be looking at Toro if in the market today.

Per my United Ag and Turf dealer, Honda is getting out of the lawn care equipment market. So, I bought a self-propelled Honda residential mower at the beginning of the week.
1/4 acre lot doesn’t make a 1/4 acre lawn. He’ll barely have enough grass to need more than nail clippers.

Get a little electric mower and trimmer. Starts easier than a Honda, no cans of gas in the garage, no worry about ethanol, oil changes, etc.

Make sure to collect his man card when you give them to him….. wink
Either battery or the cheapest gas mower out there.
Tell em a pox on them if they ever run ethanol fuel in it.
Bought the cheapest push mower available 6 years back-Poulan at RK for $129, starts 1st pull every time.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Either battery or the cheapest gas mower out there.

Yep, mine's 20+ years old, Troybuilt with a Briggs & Stratton. Need a Honda? Pshaw.

Sharpen the blade with a file every two years or so and it's good to go. It's not like pushing a mower on a lawn that size is gonna hurt anyone.
High wheeled push mower.

Good enough right here
I got a Stihl battery powered mower, weed wacker and hedge trimmer four years ago and would never go back to an IC lawnmower. Never. When the lawn needs mowing I go out and mow the lawn. When I’m done I put the battery on the charger (or both batteries if I had to get into a second one) and it’s ready to go next time. No gas, no oil changing, almost no noise…I can hang it up on the wall if I need/want to.

Just my opinion, but self-propelled walk-behind mowers are pathetic unless someone is truly physically disabled. Same with riding mowers, always get a kick out of seeing some lard-ass that needs exercise riding his mower around his half acre lawn sucking on a (light) beer.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
https://www.rurallifestyledealer.com/articles/10359-honda-to-exit-the-lawn-mower-market
Damn that sucks, I did read they would be through 2024
No more than that is get one of those battery-powered jobs and an extra battery
Toro for me. They just keep on running. I have not had good luck with my Echo weed wacker, wish had bought a Stihl.
I have a Honda mower which is 15 years old. Miraculously it still works shocked

I have not had good luck with my Echo weed wacker, wish had bought a Stihl.

Had an Echo weed wacker which worked well for years and then bought a Stihl , big mistake.
Stihl, Toro, Snapper, X-Mark etc if going gas.

As others pointed out your kid doesn't have a 1/4 acre to mow at most probably couple thousand sqft.

Battery operated product for this application are very dependable now. Initial up front cost are much more but again, no oil, gas and much lower maintenance.

Go see what the bigger landscape companies are running 8 hours a day.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
My son and his significant other are buying their 1/4 acre of slice of Heaven with a house on it, I don’t think we call those new developments the ‘burbs any more.

He requested a lawnmower and a weedwhacker as housewarming gifts.

I already know Echo is the only way to go for weedwackers.

I could use a recommendation for a push mover.

Also, his lawn is mostly level, they ain’t even 40 yet, is a power assist push mower worth the extra complexity?
careful he dont request you pay the mortgage lol. If I asked my father that he would boot me in the azz but I would never think of it cause he raised me
I bought a Toro personal pace mower a couple of years ago. I use it only for tight spots that I can't get to with my John Deere 235. It's good enough but not great with the side discharge thing attached. When bagging or using the mulch feature it's underpowered in tall grass.
EGO lawn mower.
If the lot is truly only one-quarter acre with a house on it, I would consider a Fiskars reel mower. No battery, no engine, no gas, no oil, just a simple machine.
+1 on getting one with a Honda engine if going gas powered.

As did Husqvarna for pushers.

50'x220"
30 220' passes with a 22" cut
6600', under a mile and a quarter walking.
It won't take long!

If I were buying?

Marketplace, Craigslist, any other regional classifieds.
Right now is the perfect time.

Honda engine is great if you arent working hills.

Seriously, any American engine 15 or 20 years old and in good condition is a safe bet. Lotta tongue waggin' about B&S over the years. Most stuff they were on was worn out junk before the engine died, what more is needed?

Make sure any free spinning wheels have bearings, many dont.
Swapping wheels isn't hard, but better mowers have bearings.
ie, bearings are an indicator its a better model.
Interchangable batteries for same brand mower and trimmer would be the way I'd go. Roundup is good too - I use it around some of the obstacles to save trimming and time. Usually good for all season.

My this-summer purchased 20 amp DeWalt trimmer is a beast! The restringing trim cord is a snap. My " power-assist" gas mowers- Craftsman and MTM? - don't really power assist worth a damn, except going down-hill - mostly they are just push! Don't pay extra for one.

The trimmer batteries and my driver/drill batteries are interchangeable as well. It is good to have all the same brand of battery powered stuff- I have Ryobi tools as well- wish I'd started and stayed with DeWalt, all the way.

As a side note, it takes me an hour and one tank of gas to do the home yard, about half that for the rental unit. Double the time and gas if my wife does it...... smile

Black Friday is coming up.....
Originally Posted by Westman
In 1999 I bought a Toro self driven push mower and it's still going strong. Have only changed filters, oil, and plugs.

It has been a great machine.

2002 for me, though the ex and sons are using it now. Pretty sure it’s completely neglected now as well, but it’s still running. On the crap CA gas they have around here.

Hi wheeled too, which was nice for doing the non-lawn areas around the seasonal creek in the Spring.

On the small parcels I have now, I’m using about a dozen fuzzy mowers using electric netting to rotate where they’re grazing.
You're lucky you got one when you did. They dont even come up on HD's website anymore. I've had mine for 5 years and its the best mower I've ever owned. Starts 1st pull no matter what.
Originally Posted by Hardwoodmaterials
For something that small I would get a battery powered EGO mower and trimmer. It folds up for easy storage, no gas or oil to mess with and no carburetor to worry about gumming up over the winter.

That's what I did about 7 years ago when I was stuck on a 1/4-acre subdivision lot.

Would do the same again today.
Toro time saver.
Apparently, while Honda may not be manufacturing their own Honda branded lawn mowers anymore, some other brand name lawn mowers are still offering Honda engines on certain models of their brands...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22...elf-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-20379/304584299

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine/1000730348

https://www.lawnboy.com/en/walk-behind-mowers/10736-high-wheel-push-lawn-mower-honda-engine

(added as a FYI --- American Honda Motor Recalls Lawnmowers and Pressure Washer Engines Due to Injury Hazard )
The 21" craftsman w/the Honda engine that joken2 linked to is what I have. I've had it 4-5 years and cut about a half acre with it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Sold at Lowes
My last lawn mower had a Briggs & Stratton engine that gave me no problems whatsoever for the last 8 years.
The engine was still running fine when I trashed the mower for other reasons.
Honda makes great engines but if that B&S motor was an example they have also improved their product.
Toro or honda are both decent mowers, dont get electric unless you like mowing weekly, they cannot handle taking 6 inch grass down to 3 very well. Ive got a STIHL weed wacker thats pretty nice, the combi type so I can use it to edge and blow and also have a chain saw attachment which is very handy!
Originally Posted by joken2
Your first two links show out-of-stock. Toro's lawn mower website page has a filter for engine brand and the only one that's shown is Briggs & Stratton.
35 years ago the wife bought a Honda pro mower.
8 years ago my son bought a briggs and stratton lawn mower.

I have had enough experience using and maintaining both, enough to know the Honda is better but costs more.

In Western WA in a housing development, the bulldozer may scrape off the top soil and subsoil.
Where that has happened, without watering, the grass turns brown in the summer and does not grow.
Where the original soil is in tact, if a lawn is not mowed for a year, the brush can be 8' high.
The thickness of the soil can have a lot to do with how much mower you need.
Originally Posted by 44mc
get what fits the wife

It should fit her hand like her favorite sandwich knife.
I have a Honda powered whatever Lowes sells, at least 25 years old. Ethanol hasn't hurt it one bit. I'm not surprised, Honda just applies the same technology to mowers as they do on cars. It shouldn't be that tough for any power equipment builder.
I have a 1/4 acre lot. I use a Kobalt electric mower. It is self propelled. One battery can mow whole yard without recharging or changing batteries. Liked it so well, got the electric chain saw that uses the same battery. Replacement batteries are expensive, but last at least 5 or more years. No gas, oil, or problems associated with small gasoline engines. Briggs and Straton has gone out of business due to these small electric engines. Also, Honda does make a better gasoline engine.
Shame about the Honda's . glad I bought mine when I did. Crazy reliable. First pull starter. Hard to argue against a Toro I supposes.

My older Echo weed eater - thing is a 15 year old beast...maybe older. Rebuilt once for about a hunny....and only because I thought it time. If buying new would get another Echo just not lowest tier version.
They improved briggs engines lot being forced by the japanese motors. used to call them briggs and scrap iron
Wish I could get by with a push mower.

Looking at replacing a 25 year old zero turn. 12k plus for the ones I've been eyeballing.
You can pick up a used mower at a garage sale for $30. It’s not rocket science. SMH.
Originally Posted by pointer
My mower recommendation would have been a Honda push mower, mulching with self propel. Most worry free motor driven thing I've ever owned.

For a weedeater, for that size of lawn I recommend a battery operated model. So much less hassle/complication IME. I have RYOBI 40v as I have attachments that go with it. But, any big brand electric would work fine I think. Milwaukee has a big following and a whole lot of other tools that use the same batteries.

This!
Thank you all for all the input.

My son had mentioned electric in passing, I’ll check those out.

From their website Home Depot carries Ryobi electric mowers. I have not had good luck with Ryobi in general. Gonna look around for Stihls.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
35 years ago the wife bought a Honda pro mower.
8 years ago my son bought a briggs and stratton lawn mower.

I have had enough experience using and maintaining both, enough to know the Honda is better but costs more.

In Western WA in a housing development, the bulldozer may scrape off the top soil and subsoil.
Where that has happened, without watering, the grass turns brown in the summer and does not grow.
Where the original soil is in tact, if a lawn is not mowed for a year, the brush can be 8' high.
The thickness of the soil can have a lot to do with how much mower you need.

Apples to Apples?

Briggs Vanguard engines are in a lot of commercial applications, and are a fine engine with an outstanding reputation.
if you're thinking tractor-type more simplicity. Even if you're thinking smaller zero-turn the correct answer is still tractor types simplicity
I've got an 8 year old Hustler Raptor that has been beaten like a rented mule, winter and summer. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
© 24hourcampfire