Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
EGO lawn mower.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If the lot is truly only one-quarter acre with a house on it, I would consider a Fiskars reel mower. No battery, no engine, no gas, no oil, just a simple machine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
+1 on getting one with a Honda engine if going gas powered.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCBH
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
been using a pair of Honda 214's since the late 80's/early 90's... bought a manual push new, then a self propelled version used... the SP needs an engine rebuild after 30+ yrs of use and poor service by previous owner, so now i'm pushin' the manual one... don't know if Honda mowers are any good these days(or even if they still make them)... regardless, my advice, get a self propelled mower...
Unfortunately Honda recently stopped selling mowers in the US due to regulations.

As did Husqvarna for pushers.

50'x220"
30 220' passes with a 22" cut
6600', under a mile and a quarter walking.
It won't take long!

If I were buying?

Marketplace, Craigslist, any other regional classifieds.
Right now is the perfect time.

Honda engine is great if you arent working hills.

Seriously, any American engine 15 or 20 years old and in good condition is a safe bet. Lotta tongue waggin' about B&S over the years. Most stuff they were on was worn out junk before the engine died, what more is needed?

Make sure any free spinning wheels have bearings, many dont.
Swapping wheels isn't hard, but better mowers have bearings.
ie, bearings are an indicator its a better model.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/06/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Interchangable batteries for same brand mower and trimmer would be the way I'd go. Roundup is good too - I use it around some of the obstacles to save trimming and time. Usually good for all season.

My this-summer purchased 20 amp DeWalt trimmer is a beast! The restringing trim cord is a snap. My " power-assist" gas mowers- Craftsman and MTM? - don't really power assist worth a damn, except going down-hill - mostly they are just push! Don't pay extra for one.

The trimmer batteries and my driver/drill batteries are interchangeable as well. It is good to have all the same brand of battery powered stuff- I have Ryobi tools as well- wish I'd started and stayed with DeWalt, all the way.

As a side note, it takes me an hour and one tank of gas to do the home yard, about half that for the rental unit. Double the time and gas if my wife does it...... smile

Black Friday is coming up.....

Last edited by las; 10/06/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Westman
In 1999 I bought a Toro self driven push mower and it's still going strong. Have only changed filters, oil, and plugs.

It has been a great machine.

2002 for me, though the ex and sons are using it now. Pretty sure it’s completely neglected now as well, but it’s still running. On the crap CA gas they have around here.

Hi wheeled too, which was nice for doing the non-lawn areas around the seasonal creek in the Spring.

On the small parcels I have now, I’m using about a dozen fuzzy mowers using electric netting to rotate where they’re grazing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by BCBH
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
been using a pair of Honda 214's since the late 80's/early 90's... bought a manual push new, then a self propelled version used... the SP needs an engine rebuild after 30+ yrs of use and poor service by previous owner, so now i'm pushin' the manual one... don't know if Honda mowers are any good these days(or even if they still make them)... regardless, my advice, get a self propelled mower...
Unfortunately Honda recently stopped selling mowers in the US due to regulations.
When? I just bought a brand new self- propelled mower in July with a Honda motor, starts first pull everytime.
You're lucky you got one when you did. They dont even come up on HD's website anymore. I've had mine for 5 years and its the best mower I've ever owned. Starts 1st pull no matter what.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Hardwoodmaterials
For something that small I would get a battery powered EGO mower and trimmer. It folds up for easy storage, no gas or oil to mess with and no carburetor to worry about gumming up over the winter.

That's what I did about 7 years ago when I was stuck on a 1/4-acre subdivision lot.

Would do the same again today.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Toro time saver.

1Minute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The 21" craftsman w/the Honda engine that joken2 linked to is what I have. I've had it 4-5 years and cut about a half acre with it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Sold at Lowes

Last edited by Jahrs; 10/06/23.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My last lawn mower had a Briggs & Stratton engine that gave me no problems whatsoever for the last 8 years.
The engine was still running fine when I trashed the mower for other reasons.
Honda makes great engines but if that B&S motor was an example they have also improved their product.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Toro or honda are both decent mowers, dont get electric unless you like mowing weekly, they cannot handle taking 6 inch grass down to 3 very well. Ive got a STIHL weed wacker thats pretty nice, the combi type so I can use it to edge and blow and also have a chain saw attachment which is very handy!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2
Your first two links show out-of-stock. Toro's lawn mower website page has a filter for engine brand and the only one that's shown is Briggs & Stratton.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
35 years ago the wife bought a Honda pro mower.
8 years ago my son bought a briggs and stratton lawn mower.

I have had enough experience using and maintaining both, enough to know the Honda is better but costs more.

In Western WA in a housing development, the bulldozer may scrape off the top soil and subsoil.
Where that has happened, without watering, the grass turns brown in the summer and does not grow.
Where the original soil is in tact, if a lawn is not mowed for a year, the brush can be 8' high.
The thickness of the soil can have a lot to do with how much mower you need.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 44mc
get what fits the wife

It should fit her hand like her favorite sandwich knife.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Honda powered whatever Lowes sells, at least 25 years old. Ethanol hasn't hurt it one bit. I'm not surprised, Honda just applies the same technology to mowers as they do on cars. It shouldn't be that tough for any power equipment builder.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 1/4 acre lot. I use a Kobalt electric mower. It is self propelled. One battery can mow whole yard without recharging or changing batteries. Liked it so well, got the electric chain saw that uses the same battery. Replacement batteries are expensive, but last at least 5 or more years. No gas, oil, or problems associated with small gasoline engines. Briggs and Straton has gone out of business due to these small electric engines. Also, Honda does make a better gasoline engine.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Shame about the Honda's . glad I bought mine when I did. Crazy reliable. First pull starter. Hard to argue against a Toro I supposes.

My older Echo weed eater - thing is a 15 year old beast...maybe older. Rebuilt once for about a hunny....and only because I thought it time. If buying new would get another Echo just not lowest tier version.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They improved briggs engines lot being forced by the japanese motors. used to call them briggs and scrap iron

Last edited by mrmeener; 10/06/23.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.