K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Buy some extra carbs for the echo, he'll need'em

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually push a troy bilt......but my current model doesn't offer a oil drain plug in the deck. Have to siphon to change oil.

New world.......old soul.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by BCBH
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
been using a pair of Honda 214's since the late 80's/early 90's... bought a manual push new, then a self propelled version used... the SP needs an engine rebuild after 30+ yrs of use and poor service by previous owner, so now i'm pushin' the manual one... don't know if Honda mowers are any good these days(or even if they still make them)... regardless, my advice, get a self propelled mower...
Unfortunately Honda recently stopped selling mowers in the US due to regulations.
When? I just bought a brand new self- propelled mower in July with a Honda motor, starts first pull everytime.
https://www.rurallifestyledealer.com/articles/10359-honda-to-exit-the-lawn-mower-market

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In 1999 I bought a Toro self driven push mower and it's still going strong. Have only changed filters, oil, and plugs.

It has been a great machine.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Second for the Toro. They start so easy. Or electric battery power for a flat not much to mow lawn.
No maintenance no gas.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
For something that small I would get a battery powered EGO mower and trimmer. It folds up for easy storage, no gas or oil to mess with and no carburetor to worry about gumming up over the winter.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Since Honda quit making mowers I think I would be looking at Toro if in the market today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been using a pair of Honda 214's since the late 80's/early 90's... bought a manual push new, then a self propelled version used... the SP needs an engine rebuild after 30+ yrs of use and poor service by previous owner, so now i'm pushin' the manual one... don't know if Honda mowers are any good these days(or even if they still make them)... regardless, my advice, get a self propelled mower...
Unfortunately Honda recently stopped selling mowers in the US due to regulations.

Per my United Ag and Turf dealer, Honda is getting out of the lawn care equipment market. So, I bought a self-propelled Honda residential mower at the beginning of the week.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1/4 acre lot doesn’t make a 1/4 acre lawn. He’ll barely have enough grass to need more than nail clippers.

Get a little electric mower and trimmer. Starts easier than a Honda, no cans of gas in the garage, no worry about ethanol, oil changes, etc.

Make sure to collect his man card when you give them to him….. wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Either battery or the cheapest gas mower out there.
Tell em a pox on them if they ever run ethanol fuel in it.
Bought the cheapest push mower available 6 years back-Poulan at RK for $129, starts 1st pull every time.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
Either battery or the cheapest gas mower out there.

Yep, mine's 20+ years old, Troybuilt with a Briggs & Stratton. Need a Honda? Pshaw.

Sharpen the blade with a file every two years or so and it's good to go. It's not like pushing a mower on a lawn that size is gonna hurt anyone.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
High wheeled push mower.

Good enough right here

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I got a Stihl battery powered mower, weed wacker and hedge trimmer four years ago and would never go back to an IC lawnmower. Never. When the lawn needs mowing I go out and mow the lawn. When I’m done I put the battery on the charger (or both batteries if I had to get into a second one) and it’s ready to go next time. No gas, no oil changing, almost no noise…I can hang it up on the wall if I need/want to.

Just my opinion, but self-propelled walk-behind mowers are pathetic unless someone is truly physically disabled. Same with riding mowers, always get a kick out of seeing some lard-ass that needs exercise riding his mower around his half acre lawn sucking on a (light) beer.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by sherm_61
When? I just bought a brand new self- propelled mower in July with a Honda motor, starts first pull everytime.
https://www.rurallifestyledealer.com/articles/10359-honda-to-exit-the-lawn-mower-market
Damn that sucks, I did read they would be through 2024

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
No more than that is get one of those battery-powered jobs and an extra battery

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Toro for me. They just keep on running. I have not had good luck with my Echo weed wacker, wish had bought a Stihl.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Honda mower which is 15 years old. Miraculously it still works shocked

I have not had good luck with my Echo weed wacker, wish had bought a Stihl.

Had an Echo weed wacker which worked well for years and then bought a Stihl , big mistake.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stihl, Toro, Snapper, X-Mark etc if going gas.

As others pointed out your kid doesn't have a 1/4 acre to mow at most probably couple thousand sqft.

Battery operated product for this application are very dependable now. Initial up front cost are much more but again, no oil, gas and much lower maintenance.

Go see what the bigger landscape companies are running 8 hours a day.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
My son and his significant other are buying their 1/4 acre of slice of Heaven with a house on it, I don’t think we call those new developments the ‘burbs any more.

He requested a lawnmower and a weedwhacker as housewarming gifts.

I already know Echo is the only way to go for weedwackers.

I could use a recommendation for a push mover.

Also, his lawn is mostly level, they ain’t even 40 yet, is a power assist push mower worth the extra complexity?
careful he dont request you pay the mortgage lol. If I asked my father that he would boot me in the azz but I would never think of it cause he raised me

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought a Toro personal pace mower a couple of years ago. I use it only for tight spots that I can't get to with my John Deere 235. It's good enough but not great with the side discharge thing attached. When bagging or using the mulch feature it's underpowered in tall grass.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (222ND, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,900
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.