Home
This is good...

Porsches aren’t dragsters.
Musk=Having Fun With Money, rockets, satellites, fast electric cars, practicing free speech <X>
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Watch the vid.
I've never had a need for a pickup to reach 60 in 3 seconds. I have, however, had a need to carry an extra 5 gal of gas when there's no gas or charging station within 100 miles.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never had a need for a pickup to reach 60 in 3 seconds. I have, however, had a need to carry an extra 5 gal of gas when there's no gas or charging station within 100 miles.

You’re in luck! The cybertruck offers an auxiliary battery you put in the bed, lol!

Let me know when you get yours, I want a ride. wink.
The drag sled videos are pretty impressive also.
Don't advertise, GFY. !
Gotta love the guy
I’m 71 years old so I have no heroes. I gotta say Musk is a must watch. The guy is living his life. Edk
race em 600 miles notjust a couple of blocks
lets see em tow for 100 miles (doubt they make it that far!) and then try that stunt! again... or try it with a 4 or 5 yr old battery (if it even lasts that long?)... useless toy

I would be more interested in a thousand mile race out on country roads...preferably gravel.

Not many batteries there.
was he racing a Porsche EV?
I gotta' say I like Musk, but this is a stupid test.
I spent a week hunting and getting around in a Rivian. Incredible vehicle but electricity is not nearly as convenient as gasoline. Not in 2023. Not even close.
What everyone seems to overlook, Musk doesn’t care what anybody thinks, he just keeps moving forward. I don’t see a Tesla or any EV in my future, but I love watching what Elon does…
Beyond all the obvious EV drawbacks, there’s many functional reasons why pickups have always looked like pickups, that thing doesn’t.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
What everyone seems to overlook, Musk doesn’t care what anybody thinks, he just keeps moving forward. I don’t see a Tesla or any EV in my future, but I love watching what Elon does…

This ^^^^^ is where I am at. Gotta love a guy who just does what he wants to do. Looks his detractors in the face and says "Take a hike"...

Exactly. I don't buy a 911 to go fast in a straight line. I buy a 911 to go very fast in a curved line.

Also - real world sightings of the cybertruck show a decided poor fit and finish.

That said - I wish Musk the best. I like the guy, even if his Semi is as useful as a white crayon.
Originally Posted by 700LH
race em 600 miles notjust a couple of blocks

Are you up to 8 Covid boosters now?? Lol
Try that with a 911 Turbo.
All of the electric car stuff is going to come to an abrupt halt after everyone who wants one spends a fortune to learn that they're fairly useless except for around town usage.

Basically, they're glorified golf carts.

Our illustrious Governor worked to have a massive auto battery manufacturing plant built about 80 miles from here. They're going to have to build a massive warehouse to store all of them that can't be sold.

Somebody who was smart enough and had the resources to do it should start using those massive lithium batteries to store electricity from solar panels--like Congressman Thomas Massie did at his home. There's lots of money to be made from a business like that.

They're going to have to sell them to somebody.
All those who say it won't work in rural areas or for long distance trips aren't being realistic. The fact of the matter is that you rarely take long trips and those in rural areas have electricity at home.

Proof - Click Here

Only 2 percent of trips are longer than 50 miles. 2 percent. The simple fact is that electric vehicles will work just fine for just about everyone and free us from foreign oil. That's a win. Big win.
Originally Posted by walt501
and free us from foreign oil. That's a win. Big win.

Where do you think all of the materials for the batteries come from?
We just got back from a trip from Idaho to Albuquerque. 850 miles and the only sizable town we went through was Salt Lake. It's a LONG way between charging stations on that trip. I think you'd have to be an idiot to try it in an EV, especially in the winter. Our car thermometer showed it down to 6 at one point. That's not brutally cold but it'll take it's toll on a battery.
Originally Posted by RyanTX
and free us from foreign oil. That's a win. Big win.

Where do you think all of the materials for the batteries come from?

Where does the power in the electric cord come from???

EVs will not free us from foreign oil, we could already be free of foreign. That's a political choice. Nor will EVs free us from oil in general. At least not soon..
All those who say it won't work in rural areas or for long distance trips aren't being realistic. The fact of the matter is that you rarely take long trips and those in rural areas have electricity at home.

Proof - Click Here

Only 2 percent of trips are longer than 50 miles. 2 percent. The simple fact is that electric vehicles will work just fine for just about everyone and free us from foreign oil. That's a win. Big win.

Try the same argument here in Australia, if you don't have wheels outside the cities you are a cripple.

And any clown that attempts that argument is simply showing how damned stupid and ill-informed they are.

Proof - Click Here

I bet it takes more oil to build and maintain an electric car than a fuel burner. And the added benefit of it burning down your house when it shorts out. No thanks, like the others say short trips maybe, I still wouldn’t put one in an attached garage if I was living there.
I would like to see the same race at -20° F.
an executive type i know bought a new Ford Lightning this yr... left for his lake home fully charged, towing a small fishing boat he made it 92 miles for it quit... got towed, took it back, demanded refund... nother fella got one as a company truck... lil over a hunert miles (no trailer) it was done... useless!
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This! Well said.
Teslas are one trick ponies. Great straight line acceleration, but let’s run 24 hours and Sebring at see what happens.

Proof - Click Here

Currently EVs account for 1.3% of the total vehicles (cars) on the road. Most neighborhoods must increase transformer capacity to account for more than three EVs on the neighborhood last mile grid. To achieve 10% of the total vehicles on the road, we would need to add north of $1 Trillion into energy production and last mile delivery capacity. To achieve 50% would take another $2.5 Trillion. And we're talking decades just to get to 10%. And you may have noticed, EV sales are on the decline so achieving 10% may be mission impossible.

If you want to become free of foreign oil, simply tap and exploit our national capacity. In order to accomplish that, the EPA should be defunded and pollution laws and compliance should become a State's issue.

Energy is a national security issue, however, just like or borders the clowns in Washington are being funded and driven by progressive, globalist policies. That's the problem, not EVs.
Electric motors are great for "instant on" power. But try tears point the armature under a shady tree.

Proof - Click Here

Currently EVs account for 1.3% of the total vehicles (cars) on the road. Most neighborhoods must increase transformer capacity to account for more than three EVs on the neighborhood last mile grid. To achieve 10% of the total vehicles on the road, we would need to add north of $1 Trillion into energy production and last mile delivery capacity. To achieve 50% would take another $2.5 Trillion. And we're talking decades just to get to 10%. And you may have noticed, EV sales are on the decline so achieving 10% may be mission impossible.

If you want to become free of foreign oil, simply tap and exploit our national capacity. In order to accomplish that, the EPA should be defunded and pollution laws and compliance should become a State's issue.

Energy is a national security issue, however, just like or borders the clowns in Washington are being funded and driven by progressive, globalist policies. That's the problem, not EVs.

As to the video - If I ever find myself in the position of a quarter mile drag hauling a trailer, now I know what vehicle I want to be in. Thanks Elon.
EVs are going to need massive infrastructure to remain operational. The same "green" idiots that are pushing for electric cars will be beset by a severe case of the vapors at the idea of the number of nuclear power plants necessary to generate enough electricity to charge them or the quantity of coal that will need to be burned to do so.

Unless somebody comes up with a way to literally catch lightning in a bottle, electric cars are a no go.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
EVs are going to need massive infrastructure to remain operational. The same "green" idiots that are pushing for electric cars will be beset by a severe case of the vapors at the idea of the number of nuclear power plants necessary to generate enough electricity to charge them or the quantity of coal that will need to be burned to do so.

Unless somebody comes up with a way to literally catch lightning in a bottle, electric cars are a no go.

People think solar will work.... you can have solar or eat, not both...... not enough land. At least with current technology....
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Teslas are one trick ponies. Great straight line acceleration, but let’s run 24 hours and Sebring at see what happens.

It took fifty years to perfect the I.C.E. American car and truck. Some might say much longer than that with fuel injection, etc. Most of us won't be here when the EV club finally achieves engineering and efficiency perfection, but that day will indeed come.
Originally Posted by broomd
Most of us won't be here when the EV club finally achieves engineering and efficiency perfection, but that day will indeed come.

The second fastest lap turned at Nurburgring was done by an EV and the fastest was a plug in hybrid.

It took fifty years to perfect the I.C.E. American car and truck. Some might say much longer than that with fuel injection, etc. Most of us won't be here when the EV club finally achieves engineering and efficiency perfection, but that day will indeed come.

EVs aren’t a new idea. In fact, they’re a very old one; one that failed over 100 years ago. The only difference between then and now is the battery technology. They would not be a thing today if it weren’t for the government subsidies you and I are paying for them to exist. Go check out your local charging stations. You will find they don’t work or if they do, the government poured $10,000,000 into them. I can’t remember the last time I heard of the government putting in a gas station. EVs make sense for those who are commuting back and forth to work perhaps, but every person I know who has one also has an ICE vehicle as well. My crystal ball is broken, so we’ll have to see what subsidies exist going forward for the EVs. If they continue, then you are probably right.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Most of us won't be here when the EV club finally achieves engineering and efficiency perfection, but that day will indeed come.

The second fastest lap turned at Nurburgring was done by an EV and the fastest was a plug in hybrid.
so, against a Fossil Fuel race car with a full tank, who turns more laps/goes further before a refuel/charge?... has anybody run a 500 mile race, EV vs FF, refuel vs recharge/battery swap... curious the outcome?..
No matter what else happens, the Left threw him under the bus. So, I give him credit for that much.

EVs aren’t a new idea. In fact, they’re a very old one; one that failed over 100 years ago. The only difference between then and now is the battery technology. They would not be a thing today if it weren’t for the government subsidies you and I are paying for them to exist. Go check out your local charging stations. You will find they don’t work or if they do, the government poured $10,000,000 into them. I can’t remember the last time I heard of the government putting in a gas station. EVs make sense for those who are commuting back and forth to work perhaps, but every person I know who has one also has an ICE vehicle as well. My crystal ball is broken, so we’ll have to see what subsidies exist going forward for the EVs. If they continue, then you are probably right.

The original electric car was designed for women. Nothing has changed in 100 years...
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
so, against a Fossil Fuel race car with a full tank, who turns more laps/goes further before a refuel

Feel free to move the goalposts wherever you need to.

But the answer just about everywhere you want to plant them is the plug in hybrid.
And mopeds get better mileage than a superbike.
Originally Posted by Teal

Exactly. I don't buy a 911 to go fast in a straight line. I buy a 911 to go very fast in a curved line.

Exactly. Like the tail of the dragon. I'll race Elon for pinks on a curvy road anyday. Although with a factory powerkit - mine will do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There is, apparently, some massive groundbreaking tech implementation in the Cybertruck.

Still, I feel this is just a “statement “ vehicle for urbanites. 10 bales of hay? 7500 lb trailer for 200 miles round trip?

Jason Camissa likened it to the Lamborghini LM002, and he’s not particularly wrong IMHO. But who really needed an LM002?

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Still, I feel this is just a “statement “ vehicle for urbanites.

It is a statement vehicle for sure. Like a Deagle, unusual and interesting but highly impractical.

I have not gotten a delivery date for the one I have on order but it is the 3 motor version so probably still many months away. There are loads of scenarios I could concoct that it won't be suited to or be able to do at all, but I'm not stuck with a 1 vehicle motor pool so all will probably be well here at the house. My oldest son wants to shoot it on Day Zero. I intend to roll down to South Lake Tahoe to troll boomers. Maybe see how well it crawls off road. Beyond that no idea what to do with it.
My brother has a Tesla car, I ride in it frequently. It accelerates like no other vehicle I have ever seen.
Musk designed the truck to look exactly like a wedge of cheese...

The humor in that level of trolling... is so damn funny I literally LOL every time I see a "Cyber Truck" video...

GOAT trollmaster...
Originally Posted by CashisKing

The humor in that level of trolling... is so damn funny I literally LOL every time I see a "Cyber Truck" video...

GOAT trollmaster...

Watch the Cybertruck video I posted, if you haven't already. The vehicle is pretty stinking amazing. It's definitely not for me, but some of the firsts in production vehicles will quite likely change how all vehicles are made in the future.

I intend to roll down to South Lake Tahoe to troll boomers.

You are kidding, right? Tahoe? Home to about a bazillion techies vacation homes? Yours will be one of hundreds...
Originally Posted by CashisKing

GOAT trollmaster...

Watch the Cybertruck video I posted, if you haven't already. The vehicle is pretty stinking amazing. It's definitely not for me, but some of the firsts in production vehicles will quite likely change how all vehicles are made in the future.

Of course you are right on the mechanics... but the wedge of cheese profile is also 100% deliberate trolling.
I intend to roll down to South Lake Tahoe to troll boomers.

You are kidding, right? Tahoe? Home to about a bazillion techies vacation homes? Yours will be one of hundreds...

Probably right. It would be more rare on the Carson City side but according to posts here it won't have the range.

But the good thing about boomers is if they see one at a stoplight and get mad, they'll have forgotten by the next stoplight and it will be a completely new experience.
LOL'd

What I'd do, is stick a generator in the "bed", then drive hwy 50 through NV and UT. Randomly park on the street in every small town and grab a small meal while charging off the generator. Minds would absolutely explode.
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Originally Posted by Teal

Exactly. Like the tail of the dragon. I'll race Elon for pinks on a curvy road anyday. Although with a factory powerkit - mine will do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That is a beautiful 911.

Hybrids make some sense. Battery resources owned mostly by CCP, a grid that is suspect nation wide, war against anything not solar of wind, and mostly the range and length of time to charge make full electric....crap compared to hydrocarbons
© 24hourcampfire