Home
Being a guy that is a conservative, I’ve had a handful of liberal friends. I do home improvements for a living so I have to keep some of my thoughts to myself. Anyhow, I knew a women who I did work for on occasion and she was an extreme liberal and even had the bumper sticker to go with it. I knew her for about 45 years. She passed a few years ago. When I worked for her, I had the key to her house, always had food in the refer for me and was always invited to Thanksgiving dinner and others. I never wore my NRA hat around her as she hated them. We never talked politics. She never spent any money on herself, worked all her life in Banking. One of the best people I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. Her name was Rose. Have a few friends that are Dems but I just dont relate to them well, but I understood Rose. That’s all, Alan
Got it. But the examples you referenced are to a time since passed. People like that have largely passed away, or very old.

Go walk around San Francisco and a dozen other selected leftist cities with your MAGA hat on, and see what happens. In conclusion, many people on the Left have absolutely no class. Using violence and causing destruction is seen as a duty to a large percentage of the Left.

Wait until the night when they announce Trump wins the White House again. Riots will be in many large leftist cities. People will be targeted for violence, and just for political views.

My .02
Back in the Slick Willy days, I worked part time for a machine shop where the boss was a dyed in the wool dummycrap. I used to tell "Monica" jokes- - - -which jacked him up, but he needed the skills I had to make money for his business. We were mostly good-natured about it, although I had to tread lightly on occasion.
A few, but learned early on not to talk to them in regards to their "point of view". Said Mark Twain, "Arguing with a fool proves there are two."
Friends...

Relatives...

Co-Workers...

I'm surrounded by them.

Seems like it's always been that way.
I’ve some that lean that way, but no hardcore Marxists! I have a couple family members though. You can choose your friends. . .
Yes, and it's not that hard. You just don't talk about some things. Some of the kindest people I have known are liberals. I would be a faithless friend if I abandoned them on account of their political beliefs.
Ras, I agree. Well said!
I’ve tried to be friends with liberals but it never seems to last. Just like I’ve tried to be friends with atheists but that also doesn’t seem to last. Irregardless of the fact that I will intentionally not broach the topics that are contentious I’ve found that I’m just too fundamentally different from them and our worldviews are so different that it doesn’t seem to work. I’m now at a point where I don’t have any desire to be friends with anyone that’s so stupid that they would vote for a liberal. If they can’t see that the democrats are destroying the country and they continue to vote for our destruction then they’re not worth a second of my time, let alone my friendship. I’m the type of guy that if I consider you a close friend I’ll help you bury the body with no questions asked….at 3:30am. 😀
I just don't suffer fools. I can't even stand to be in the same room with anyone that supports what liberals have done to our country.
Loyalty is a wonderful thing!
The only libs I know are either customers or family.
No. I have liberal acquaintances ... but no liberal friends.
No. I've known a few, but none were really my friends. But then, I don't really have too many friends anyway.
Only one im friendly with, not close. A cousin I see at most a few minutes a year.

Lieberal people are crazy and stupid. A dangerous combination.

Prisons are full of them.
A lot of atheists are good, hardworking, honest people and can make good friends. All fall short.....

Lieberal people are crazy and stupid. A dangerous combination.

And they lie. They lie even when they think they are telling the truth. And they have no compunction against stealing. And on top of that, they are dimocommies.

Can't stand a POS commie.
Liberals nothing, most conservatives run when I say that public executions for every violent and/or sexual offense are long overdue.
Originally Posted by 19352012
Liberals nothing, most conservatives run when I say that public executions for every violent and/or sexual offense are long overdue.
Start tar and feathering judges to restore penalty to our legal system. Clean up our educational system. Restore parents rights to discipline their kids. Make parents more responsible for their kids actions. That’s a start.
Friendship is based on respect and trust. So when you have a hard time respecting someone's view point it's damned hard to trust them. They are not your friends and don't need to even be acquaintance s. You know who you are and when you experience the above you know who they aren't.
Sure.
I've known a few conservative's that had some liberal ideas over the years. I don't like anyone with radical liberal ideas but I do listen to what they say now and then. Don't have to agree with them but now and then a liberal has a conservative idea weather they know it or not. have to say about the liberal mind set. Seems they are all willing to fight for what they believe in. Conservative Republican's don't fight much at all for what they claim to believe in!
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Being a guy that is a conservative, I’ve had a handful of liberal friends. I do home improvements for a living so I have to keep some of my thoughts to myself. Anyhow, I knew a women who I did work for on occasion and she was an extreme liberal and even had the bumper sticker to go with it. I knew her for about 45 years. She passed a few years ago. When I worked for her, I had the key to her house, always had food in the refer for me and was always invited to Thanksgiving dinner and others. I never wore my NRA hat around her as she hated them. We never talked politics. She never spent any money on herself, worked all her life in Banking. One of the best people I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. Her name was Rose. Have a few friends that are Dems but I just dont relate to them well, but I understood Rose. That’s all, Alan

I knew an older lady named Rose that worked in banking in Nor Cal.
Good acquaintances but never a friend. I have a liberal daughter and son-in-law and I find difficulty in communicating past a certain level.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Friendship is based on respect and trust. So when you have a hard time respecting someone's view point it's damned hard to trust them. They are not your friends and don't need to even be acquaintance s. You know who you are and when you experience the above you know who they aren't.

Well said.

I have found Liberals to be Users with few exceptions. I won't even do repair work for them anymore.
In law’s that are 95% conservative and pull the blue handle every f ing time. 20:2 at gatherings, so you won’t hear a peep out of them….btw some of the nicest people you could run across, give you the shirt right off their backs.
How the fug do you make friends with someone who wants to give away your constitutional rights and your freedom? ( pulling the blue handle ) Come on I got to hear it
.mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
How the fug do you make friends with someone who wants to give away your constitutional rights and your freedom? ( pulling the blue handle ) Come on I got to hear it
.mb

Well they’re my mother and father in law….so..

I just run with that we have the votes tied down here in Missouri.

My wife did wear this around her parents several times. Hehe

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Guess I’m not as fortunate as some on here.

Only a few friends.

Many acquaintances..
many co-workers…
Relatives…

But only a few friends.

No coincidence, we were raised together, grew up together, have similar Beliefs.
I have friends on both sides, most of them are able to have a conversation involving politics. we face the fact upfront, they are not likely to change my mind and I don't expect to change theirs.
I have found legitimate learned misconceptions and maybe I have some, example is during the AR ban debate here in WA a dem friend had no idea AR's had a hunting purpose. She has never shot a gun and thought they were only good for mass shootings.
Other times I am totally speechless at what I encounter.
One thing that amazes me is when they get fed up with their own kind and move here to get away from it, then try to change things here to match it.
Same story for illegals.
No friends, because I can choose. I do have some family members on my wife's side though.
I do, mostly because almost everyone is to the left of me politically.
Sure.

From shared experiences, mostly.

99% of my relationships are not based on politics.
I have a number of liberal associates. I have no liberal friends.
Not even associates. My friends these days are all shooters and/or hunters who also realize everything is going to Hell via the Democrats and RINOs. If by chance an active Liberal should happen my way, I’d just steer clear as I simply can’t keep my mouth shut when they start spouting their nonsense, and they simply can’t keep from spouting it.
No, its unlikely I would ever become friends with one. I do have family that are libs. I always say you get to pick your friends but your stuck with family.

Over the years it was just learned that politics wasn't a subject we should talk about the few times we get together. They aren't changing my mind and Im not changing theirs.
I'm a loner type person - not friends with any liberals.
No. I have liberal family members (cousins) but I haven't spoken to them in several years.
No I don't. It's not that I even have to make a choice in the matter as they make it on their own. I hate what liberalism stands for and is trying to do and everything about my life reflects that. I never go out of my way to say things just to insult them but at the same time will not hold back or hide my views. With that being said they seem to hate my guts and stay away, which is fine with me.
I won’t say I’ve had friends that were libs but I’ve had my share of customers I knew pretty well that were libs. Being in industrial sales I bought a lot of lunches and got to know people. I asked one lib customer about gun laws, gun control with high crime rates like Chicago what he thought. His response was it’s working in some places. I wanted to ask where but he was a good customer and didn’t want to take it to far.

Most of the younger people I worked with were lib climate change refugees want to be’s.

I’ve been lucky and really haven’t had to interact to much with libs.

I worked for a large industrial control system company, oil refining, chem plants etc. When I was getting my Six Sigma training in the early Obama days we had a lib black women Eng in our group. We had to come up with a Six Sigma project that actually turned a profit for the company. This lib black gal was trying to make it a political statement about blacks, Obama being elected etc. By luck see was moved from our group. She was a piece of work. I was team lead and came up with an idea on optimized gasoline and diesel blending. I asked her point black what Barack Obama had to do with blending solutions for oil Refiners in North America other than EPA restrictions. I can’t recall her answer but it wasn’t even close to being on point. It’s hard to carry on in intelligent conversation with a lib, they make no sense.
I had a business partner who was a Lib. He became an angry ruthless tyrant. The employees hated him, the vendors hated him, and worst off, the customers hated him. Everything was a battle and a fight. He was always going the opposite direction that my brother and I were going. He was destroying us from within. We bought him out in 2014. Life is too short.

Never ever go into business with a liberal. For starters, they have no idea how and why capitalism works. It simply does not compute in their brains. Liberals will destroy everything that they touch and they're pissed off at the world.
Not for long.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

There is no such thing as liberal friends.
The operative word in the OP's question is "HAD". 50 years ago I (in college) I had a few, but now I try like the devil to stay as far away as possible from liberals. I really do try to listen to opposing political viewpoints and try to engage in viable discussions with them. When they start talking loud and fast and drown out my responses, discussion is over. I won't change their mind and they darn sure won't change mine. When my bride and I were married, she had fairly liberal politics. Over the years, though, she has become much, much more conservative . . . working in the real world has/had opened her eyes wide open. There is a big difference between being empathetic and being liberal.

IIRC - Winston Churchill said "If you are 20 and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you are 40 and not a conservative, you have no brain." That is becoming more and more evident nowadays.
No, and don't intend to.
My wife had some ideas supporting gun control because she had been held up at gun point before we started dating. Some training and range trips flipped the script and she became pro-gun. Her main complaint 32 years later is she doesn't get enough range time (we both don't).
OP: Have you ever had a Liberal friend ?
How do you define "friend"? When finally starting to mature, I was fortunate to gain some solid observations/understandings about friendship, and became selective about choices of friends. None of the few great people I consider friends espouse or live the values ascribed to political/social liberals. None.

Yes, I have encountered liberals and still do - and have been able to maintain friendly/civil relationships with most of them, even some of the rabid. Among them are some of the most considerate, caring, kind-hearted people ever met.

But, most of those folks are insecure with themselves, and especially with others who are self-secure, and their reactions to that insecurity and indecision dominate their behavior. Senseless reliance upon, and trust in, any aspect of government is only one of the symptoms of that weak self-consideration.

Not in keeping with some others here, I do not modify behavior or control voicing of views/values in efforts to protect the feelings of those who see things otherwise, or to promote relationships. Every individual is responsible for his/her positions/views as well as all of their feelings. Yes, here and there a person with whom I had been friendly has chosen to withdraw and even sever the friendliness. They probably made good decisions in doing so.
A lot of people come to my county, due to outdoor recreation etc, to live out their retirement years...many of them govt workers, retired teachers, academics of one kind or another. I have tried to be a good neighbor over the years, if not outgoing, at least friendly...eventually, sooner or later, they will piss on your shoes. Maybe not so much their politics, which I try to avoid, just the urban mindset, SOMEBODY needs to plow my snow...they love to call the sheriff if anybody does anything that offends them no matter how petty...they call animal control if they think somebodies horses or cows are not fat enough...they raise hell with the power company tree trimmers...they petition the county to pave roads when the county doesn't have any money...you get the picture. Self centered urban idjits.
Sure, but we don't sit around and talk politics.
Alan c: Not anymore!
FJB
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I don't take a stand on my conservatism. Won't mention names, but there are many posts on here, that are really no different than what you hear from many liberals. They hate anyone, and criticize others who are not like they are and like they think.

I've always acted toward others, mirroring on how they act toward me. If we can't make it with each other, then our nation is truly lost. I don't have to agree with someone on a lot of subjects, just to be able to get along with someone. We all have common ground with others, and then uncommon ground with other people. Why make it a conflict? That is why I am responsive and mirror how some one acts toward me.

We are all old enough to remember when we use to be able to get along, with someone with different political views than our own. The communist side of the DNCC, has made ALL of these political conflicts exists, and the apathy of the conservative side of society has risen to embrace the same attitude in return. I have maintained for decades, the greatest strength of the DNCC is conservative apathy and laziness. I guess being in business, has taught me, you don't win arguments with a customer. You may prove a point, but you alienate that customer and lose them. Your customer is the one who ends up paying you for what you live upon.

I can easily deal with people we have a common interest with, and avoid going where we don't. One will learn the benefit of walking away or staying, depending on the situation.

The one thing I know, is magnifying our differences with others, accomplish nothing positive. At the most at stake is the entire nation we live within. The world isn't going to be perfect, that is for sure. But we have forgotten how to compromise with those who have different opinions than we do. And it is both political view points that have put our nation at odds with the other sides. Both political parties are guilty of it. In the long run, what it hurts the most, is our nation. Back to my saying, you never win an argument with a customer.. you may prove a point, but you alienate your customer. We all need each other whether we like it or not.

I've got liberal democRAT family members I don't see often. Political views matter much more to them, than it use to.
But i thought it interesting, that... When another family member pointed out, the ones that vote democRAT, because they have spent a life time in the Unions..... when they are NOT told how to vote by the DNCC, then they are normally more conservative on a subject than many conservatives will be. Sure enough true.

At odds with other Americans, and refusing the ideas of compromise, to prove a point no matter what the subject is, gains our nation nothing but chaos, which tears down the ideals that built our nation and with what we grew up with. Both sides are just as guilty as the other. If I am in a situation, where there is no middle ground, I learned to just walk away, be it political or business.

There are A Holes on both sides of the political spectrum, be it in politics or on the street. And those ideals, are tearing this nation apart more and more every day. We all are killing our nation from within, regardless of our political beliefs.

Flame away if you feel the need to...
We have a couple that we're friends with. Just never go to politics and we get along fine. The one thing I notice is that they seem to have a lot of guilt. Be it white guilt or just in a better financial place than some others guilt. They just don't seem to have the ability to look at the world objectively and see reality.
A good read! A lot of effort put into this.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Alan_C

I knew an older lady named Rose that worked in banking in Nor Cal.
Hey Sal, was it Amador county?
I don't have any friends, liberal or otherwise. I've outlived every damn one of them. I haven't figured out if that's good or bad.
PJ
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I don't have any friends, liberal or otherwise. I've outlived every damn one of them. I haven't figured out if that's good or bad.
PJ
My grandmother lived to 97. All her friends and relatives of her generation were dead. She said it was really boring and lonely
I have lots of friends... both liberal and conservative.
I’ve known quite a few, but there’s just too much distance between my values and their values to become friends.

Life’s way too short to deal with imbeciles.
Had one, about 20 years ago I figured out he was a lib and stopped associating with him, f-cker was always whining about Bush.
None since.
i stay away from liberals ,they lie to make themselves feel truthful
When I was Wrangling horses I worked with a guy from NYC.
He came to the ranch down on his luck.
He was a city boy that never heard a discenting voice from the liberal narrative.
He didn't know Jack about horses.
He turned out to be just a great guy.
A big heart, compassion and understanding of different points of view..quite unlike most of today's liberals.
I showed him my trophy room one afternoon and almost wrapped his pants.
So foreign to his way of thinking.
We had an incredible team at the ranch for a while.
He left for back East after a few years.
Yes.
Politics control everything in your life.
Ony a fool would think differently.
In only few exceptions, I can sit and break bread with the cult that wants to destroy everything that I believe in.
Some of you have kicked me around for being a Californian.
Guys in Red states.
You can't even comprehend the anger and hatred I have for these idiots.
It's a lot stronger than yours because they directly affect my life on a daily basis.
In Red State world it's like a fly on your arm.
In my world it's like Great White Shark taking a chunk out of your body.

I can't remember where I read it but nobody ever asked a soldier in the heat of battle or a firefighter or cop dragging your limp, wounded body to safety if they were a liberal or a conservative.

Yes, I'm strong in my beliefs.
Only a few can overcome my prejudices.
Keith did.
Good guy.
There was a time after college where the vast majority of my close friends were liberal. That all started to change after I started meeting more conservative folks. About that same time, I was starting to do well in business. There I was with a 401K and my old friends were still spouting "property is theft!"
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I can't remember where I read it but nobody ever asked a soldier in the heat of battle or a firefighter or cop dragging your limp, wounded body to safety if they were a liberal or a conservative.

That’s a good point Sal, which isn’t unusual for you even though you’re from California (I had to take a cheap shot but I’m from Washington so it loses its sting). When I was a firefighter/EMT I NEVER allowed politics, socio-economic differences, color, religion or anything else impact the level of care I gave. In the police department we didn’t issue a ticket based on any of those characteristics either, our decision to ticket or not was determined before we made contact (99.9% of the time).

I’ll be discerning with the quality of individual that I allow into my life and call a friend but I will NEVER allow that to impact my professional conduct or the quality of care I gave. It wouldn’t matter if it was Elon Musk or a homeless drunk they all received the same care….to do otherwise would be unthinkable.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

agree 100%...why associate with the enemy ....bob
To me: "You are an idiotic gun nut."
Other that Toby, no !!!

😇😇😇😇😇
a couple times a year we have a fly in that I attend, the usual show up every year. about half are liberal and I know it, we use to all get along real good and didn't converse in politics (although I don't hide my views as I literally wear them on my sleeve and I'm alway carrying. summertime so usually not concealed or I print through a tee shirt) I did notice since Biden has been in office that they tend to egg on arguments around politics in a very nasty way so now our group has become two, them and us.
I'm fine with it. but barely consider them acquaintances any longer. it is a shame that we can't just talk about our passion without mixing politics and getting pissed.
as someone quoted a few posts back I believe.... "Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." Mark Twain
So needless to say I don't have conversation with the libs that show up to the fly ins.
If we define "friend" correctly................. NO!
Many many liberal friends.

The know where I stand, and typically will not engage.
I also have idiot conservative friends.
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Many many liberal friends.

The know where I stand, and typically will not engage.

I also have idiot conservative friends.

The main reason for any government at all is solving problems. The midpoint works to solve problems. Buying into another civil war won't end well. My friends split both directions.
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by local_dirt

agree 100%...why associate with the enemy ....bob

They are THE ENEMY destroying my country from within. I've got absolutely nothing for them.
I have just a few friends. All are conservative. I have a few relatives . My Mother in Law and step dad are old democrats that just can't bring themselves to vote republican no matter how liberal the democrat is.. I see them just a few times a year. I am polite , but have no interest in them.. They just sit there and get drunk every single day and watch CNN. Sometimes I loo at them like the enemy and they kind of are . I have to be polite. It is not for me to judge that that they are so brainwashed that they vote against my country..
Yes.
The ones that I had are now all former friends.

Just cannot tolerate it anymore.

MM
None that I would call as close friends. The liberals of today aren't the same as they used to be.
COVID did me the greatest favor and they friends/relatives/acquaintances ghosted me….
Now they can’t face me knowing they were wrong.
Thanks COVID
© 24hourcampfire