Home
Posted By: stxhunter What? - 02/06/24
https://www.chron.com/life/wildlife...ix9fmT-ixWX8AtAoNrMw0YVNtJNehuiZuqAiR2o0

Feral hogs are not as harmful as we thought, according to a new study
The wild pigs were actually found to increase plant diversity in environments where they are introduced.
By Ariana GarciaFeb 5, 2024
A new study finds that feral hogs actually help increase plant diversity in environments where they are introduced.

Feral hogs might not be as damaging as we thought. They might even be good for the environment. A group of researchers with Aaruhs University in Denmark found that, contrary to popular belief, large "invasive" or "feral" plant-eating mammals do not have stronger or more negative effects on plant abundance and diversity than their native equivalents. Instead, large herbivores—whether invasive or native—help shape many ecosystems by spreading seeds and increasing plant diversity, the authors argue. The findings were published on Thursday in the journal Science.

Erick Ludgren, an Aarhus University postdoctoral researcher and one of the study's authors, wrote on X that the study's purpose was to question whether a visitor from another planet could tell which large mammals were native or introduced based on their actual impacts. "If nativeness is a real biological variable, then it must be measurable," Lundgren wrote. "Otherwise, nativeness would remain a description of dispersal history and not be a meaningful way to understand ecological interactions."

For the study, researchers observed "megafauna"—animals that weigh about 100 pounds—that only consume plants and analyzed approximately 4,000 plant abundance and diversity responses from 221 studies to native and introduced large mammals. They found that the most important factor in determining a species' effects on the surrounding ecosystem was its dietary preferences, not where it came from.
Researchers found that feral hogs 'often increase plant diversity, at times doubling native plant diversity by suppressing competitive dominants.

Communities dominated by selective feeders tended to decrease plant diversity, while communities with "nonselective bulk feeders" tended to increase diversity. The researchers classified feral hogs as "dietary generalists," adding they "often increase plant diversity, at times doubling native plant diversity by suppressing competitive dominants."

The study's results suggest practicing caution is necessary with "how we assign notions like 'harm' to the impacts of introduced organisms," Lundgren wrote. "The prevailing logics of invasion biology make it easy to call anything an introduced organism does 'harmful' simply (because) they do not 'belong.'"As an example, Lundgren noted that feral hogs tend to increase native plant diversity in both their native and introduced ranges. "Yet these impacts are described with completely different language depending on whether we think pigs, and their effects, belong," he said.

In Texas—which boasts the most feral hogs in the country—state officials recently proposed using a poison made with warfarin, a type of blood thinner, to reduce populations of wild pigs. The species are said to be among the most destructive in the U.S., causing around $2.5 billion in damages. However, the new study argues against such culling measures, suggesting they are unnecessary and may even be more harmful to the "conservation of wild and diverse ecosystems" they are meant to protect.

"The invasion of cultural values, like 'belonging,' into scientific claims creates partial knowledge (e.g., only applicable if you share the same beliefs), excludes people with other values, and may harm biodiversity itself," Lundgren wrote.
Posted By: smokepole Re: What? - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by stxhunter
The study's results suggest practicing caution is necessary with "how we assign notions like 'harm' to the impacts of introduced organisms," Lundgren wrote. "The prevailing logics of invasion biology make it easy to call anything an introduced organism does 'harmful' simply (because) they do not 'belong.'"As an example, Lundgren noted that feral hogs tend to increase native plant diversity in both their native and introduced ranges. "Yet these impacts are described with completely different language depending on whether we think pigs, and their effects, belong," he said.

Wow, it's uncanny. I was down at the feed store the other day, and old Jesper was telling Wilbur the exact same thing.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: What? - 02/06/24
I guess hogs are just like illegal aliens then.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: What? - 02/06/24
Open Borders Globalist Scum. 🤣😂🤣
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: What? - 02/06/24
Feral hogs might not be as damaging as we thought. They might even be good for the environment. A group of researchers with Aaruhs University in Denmark found that, contrary to popular belief, large "invasive" or "feral" plant-eating mammals do not have stronger or more negative effects on plant abundance and diversity than their native equivalents. Instead, large herbivores—whether invasive or native—help shape many ecosystems by spreading seeds and increasing plant diversity, the authors argue.

I don't need an advanced degree in anything to say that those "researchers" are full of schitt.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: What? - 02/06/24
I don’t think Ariana has ever farmed before. Neither have I, but I’ve read numerous articles about how feral hogs trash corn fields. Maybe her idea of plant diversity is wiping out monoculture corn fields and replacing them with native vegetation. Her paper sounds too ivory tower.
Posted By: BLG Re: What? - 02/06/24
When did hogs become vegeatarians?

Clyde
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What? - 02/06/24
Liberal trash article/author.

The other liberal trash will repeat it for years though...
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: What? - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

And they will use it to crusade to ban hog hunting, too. Watch and see.

L.W.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: What? - 02/06/24

Hopefully while warfarin kills ferals by the 10's of thousands.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: What? - 02/06/24
Depends on what you want.

Lately I've been amused at the whole, stocked, reintroduced, feral, bullschidt.

A rainbow trout is great, a carp bad.
Snakeheads are bad, stripped bass good.

Feral cats are bad! "BUT, BUT, BUT, we can't kill THEM! They are Fluffy's cousins!"
So we spend money to catch, neuter, then RELEASE(?) them.

Wild horses are feral, non-native, and destructive as hell.
So we protect them, and waste money on ineffective control measures.

Hogs do spread seeds and might help with biodiversity.

They might be great on wilderness type land.
Farmers, ranchers, most land owners aren't interested in what they do, especially
how they do it.

Every farmer I know fights biodiversity.
They want corn, oats, wheat, soybeans, or specific grasses, not a bunch
of other crap.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: What? - 02/06/24
Oats 9eas beans and barley groe do you or I or anyone know how oats 9eas beans and barley groe.
Posted By: las Re: What? - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I don’t think Ariana has ever farmed before. Neither have I, but I’ve read numerous articles about how feral hogs trash corn fields. Maybe her idea of plant diversity is wiping out monoculture corn fields and replacing them with native vegetation. Her paper sounds too ivory tower.

Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

Yep - had a German tourist tell me one time bears are strictly vegetarian. He got this sour " I don't believe you" look when I told him that studies have shown that up to 70% of moose calf mortality by predators is by bears.

As Reagan said about Democrats: " It isn't that they don't know anything. It's just that so much of what they know is wrong."
Posted By: 1minute Re: What? - 02/06/24
Anything that plows up the ground will increase diversity.

Years back a rancher southeast of us was having issues with the BLM over a rare locoweed on his grazing allotment. Seems it was most common in the disturbed sites around the stock tanks.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: What? - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

the left sat them down and told the hogs its better to eat plants and bugs. i don't think it werked.
Posted By: jeeper Re: What? - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Feral hogs might not be as damaging as we thought. They might even be good for the environment. A group of researchers with Aaruhs University in Denmark found that, contrary to popular belief, large "invasive" or "feral" plant-eating mammals do not have stronger or more negative effects on plant abundance and diversity than their native equivalents. Instead, large herbivores—whether invasive or native—help shape many ecosystems by spreading seeds and increasing plant diversity, the authors argue.

I don't need an advanced degree in anything to say that those "researchers" are full of schitt.

Yep, they are nuthin but bad news. I do my absolute best to eliminate everyone I see.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

Hog Huggers! laugh

I think there's a couple here too... wink
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What? - 02/06/24
I'm glad we don't have any.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

You will.
Posted By: ldholton Re: What? - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by 1minute
Anything that plows up the ground will increase diversity.

Years back a rancher southeast of us was having issues with the BLM over a rare locoweed on his grazing allotment. Seems it was most common in the disturbed sites around the stock tanks.
that right there the person is not always good when you're trying to raise purebred livestock or a true crop.
root up the crop that's wanting to be grown and don't do nothing else with it the weeds will overtake it and that's diversity. kind of like the trash we have as humans in this country from other third world [bleep] anymore.. and in that case the Democrats or the hogs rooting it up letting the weeds in
I've read they are as far north as Manitoba.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: What? - 02/06/24

You will.

You will.

Where has a population ever been established and thrived in America that has winter?
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: What? - 02/06/24
Wonder who funded the research.
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
Where has a population ever been established and thrived in America that has winter?

Lots of places.

I know when I was encountering them at 7-8000 ft of elevation in NM, they had "winter" there.

Other countries are overrun by them in winter too. Cold weather won't stop them.

Lack of water slows them down though. You'll see them in the mountains, but not so much in the desert.

Jake roped a "wild hog: a couple years back. Once out of confinement they don't want them back.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: What? - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by Hypocrite

You will.

You will.

There was a population on an island off Kodiak for many years. Took a nasty winter to kill them. Had it been an island with lots of old growth they likely would still be there.
Posted By: ingwe Re: What? - 02/06/24
The wild pigs were actually found to increase plant diversity in environments where they are introduced.

Well I'm headed to Texas in a month to kill a bunch of feral hogs, but I promise I'll have pangs of guilt every time I pull the trigger....
Originally Posted by ingwe

Well I'm headed to Texas in a month to kill a bunch of feral hogs, but I promise I'll have pangs of guilt every time I pull the trigger....

Yeah, I bet you do! laugh
Are those boars good to eat?
Posted By: rost495 Re: What? - 02/06/24
Are those boars good to eat?
Most of them are not for our tastes. That said we use the smell rule. If I can smell a piss smell as I walk up or on the pig itself the size is no issue. They are buzzard food. Again regardless of size if they smell clean they will eat fine as a rule.

I shot 6 the other day when I didn't have time... but not a single one smelled bad and had I the time and energy I would have used the meat for sure.

We used a 125 pound sow I shot a few months ago and it was good eats.
Posted By: Diggerman Re: What? - 02/06/24
Its not what hogs eat, Its what they do. Erosion is the pigs biggest sin.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: What? - 02/06/24
You mutha fuggas need to start reading some pioneer survival history concerning hogs and honey bees. Many a hard time were less hard because of the fuggin both of them, farmers be damned !

I have no hate for feral hogs !

When I harvest a pig, its usually a little fryer betwixed 10 and 40lb

Gawd-damned humans are their own worst enemies, especially with this new poison coming soon !

Get ur covid booster fugg wads !
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: What? - 02/06/24
EAT MORE PORK !
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: What? - 02/06/24
You guys live in easy hog country.
Posted By: rainshot Re: What? - 02/06/24
I for one could do without their diversity around here.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What? - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
You mutha fuggas need to start reading some pioneer survival history concerning hogs and honey bees. Many a hard time were less hard because of the fuggin both of them, farmers be damned !

Oops.

You went total retard again.

We don't care if you hate feral hogs or not. We don't give a damn if you shoot them or not. We don't give a chit what you eat.

But feral hogs cost us all by destroying crops that YOU eat too. To publicly damn farmers for wanting to control hogs that cost them millions and ultimately takes food out your own mouth is just stupid...

But that's pretty much what you are.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: What? - 02/07/24

Oops.

We don't care if you hate feral hogs or not. We don't give a damn if you shoot them or not. We don't give a chit what you eat.

But feral hogs cost us all by destroying crops that YOU eat too. To publicly damn farmers for wanting to control hogs that cost them millions and ultimately takes food out your own mouth is just stupid...

I think the article said billions!
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: What? - 02/07/24

Oops.

Tow the party line mutha fugger, I like pork, mayhaw & madrone berries, catfish, dandelions, and honey…Fugg a crop !

You mutha fuggers are as stupid as Jag and k22!

They ain’t taking food from no fuggin body !
Gawd damned liberals on both sides !
Fuggin Monsanto Patriots and their gawd damned propaganda!
Get your covid boosters !
Are you having an episode?
Gawd damned Monsanto Patriot farmers pad chit just as much as a Government entity trying to justify their budget for the next fiscal year !

Fuggin joke, fuggin fraud, fuggin conflict of interest!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Fuggin truth hurts don’t it !
Gawd damned hogs were in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi, before most of the current residents or bulk of the previous settlers!

Who is the natives, who is the invasive species ?

Learn something !
All of this stems from feeding my family around the world on GI pay and having the kids say “we sure eat better when we don’t have any money”.

“Skin a buck run a trot line” mutha fuggers !
Gawd damned wildlife biologists, Monsanto Warriors, Q Bitches, Antifa, BLM, MAGA fuggs…all same sang GI !
Should we call someone?
Should we call someone?

🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

I ain’t finished !
Posted By: jackmountain Re: What? - 02/07/24
Johnny Joko needs a spa day.
Or a frontal lobotomy.
I KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT KINDA DAY IT IS Jack, ITS THE WAY IT IS !
I know, lets erect hog abortion centers to eradicate their species!
I also eat Zebra mussels, Python, Axis deer, lion fish, carp, and much more.

Overcome and adapt fuggers !
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What? - 02/07/24
Evaluating the damage or benefits of an animal species on the basis of its effect on diversity of vegetation alone is stupid to begin with. Further, ecological condition is not determined by diversity, it is determined by the continued presence of the original species.
I agree…And
There is no greater example than Hill country Texas and how so many species can cohabitate and be fat off a seemingly little food.
All the farmer damage numbers are inflated as hell.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: What? - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Further, ecological condition is not determined by diversity, it is determined by the continued presence of the original species.

Shouldn't it be survival of the fittest?
Hill country Texas is a great example, record numbers of these different species proliferating with no big crop areas to speak of
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: What? - 02/07/24
For years we’ve been told that hogs are destroying crops and causing a gazillion dollars a year in damage in Texas. All I’ve ever heard about hogs is how destructive they are….right up until they develop a “safe poison” specific to the intended target. If the hogs are eliminated and no further crop damage is caused by hogs most of us would think that Texans would be pleased BUT we didn’t consider the money that’s involved. Whether the money comes in the form of crop damage payments or insurance, leases for hog hunting, daily trespass fees for access, the hunting and trapping products specific to hogs, guides, lodges, hotels and restaurants, etc, etc…. When that income stream is shut off we’ll see whether hogs were truly the devil they were portrayed to be or merely a convenient if not dishonest excuse for lining pockets.

The secondary problems we’ve all heard about…things like trespassing or slob hunters littering or ass wipes not closing gates or dumb asses shooting livestock will disappear with the hogs which SHOULD be a HUGE win for Texans…..it’s a WIN-WIN for Texans all the way around UNLESS the money involved is significantly more than we’ve been led to believe. 😉

PS…This is NOT directed at anyone specifically but it is an amalgamation of the arguments and gripes we’ve seen here ad nauseum through the years.
History shows the lineage of hogs were here before the invasive species called “Texans” !
Posted By: Diggerman Re: What? - 02/07/24
Hill country Texas is a great example, record numbers of these different species proliferating with no big crop areas to speak of
Just deer feeders every ten acres.
Yes but no. There are so many acorns and pecans left on the ground each year left by all of the species. The feeders are just a snack.
I’d be the first to ask a dirty sodbuster in Texas when they or their families arrived as an invasive species.

Leave the damn pigs alone !
Posted By: mark shubert Re: What? - 02/07/24
Are these the same "researchers" that claimed cows are magnetic?

Satellite photos taken early in the day showed cows oriented north and south.
(Seems it never occurred to them solar gain might figure into the equation!)
Posted By: add Re: What? - 02/07/24

How is that even a question?
Posted By: Hastings Re: What? - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.
I've been expecting that.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: What? - 02/07/24
I’m not convinced they’ll establish themselves in an area with winter and heavy hunting hunting pressure.

It’a always well Alaska or some remote part Canada had a population but they died off after a hard winter, it’s never we can’t rid of them here in (pick a Midwestern state) and until they are causing wide spread problems on a cold stage I won’t believe it’s going to happen.

Even areas like Tennessee and Missouri don’t really have large populations.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: What? - 02/07/24

Yep, and wolves and lions and coyotes only eat the old and weak and sick and slow.

And Gator gar only eat rough fish.
I’d be the first to ask a dirty sodbuster in Texas when they or their families arrived as an invasive species.

Hogs ARE invasive, and feeders make up a large part of all wildlife diet. No feeders, no hogs.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Further, ecological condition is not determined by diversity, it is determined by the continued presence of the original species.

Shouldn't it be survival of the fittest?

Not when "the fittest" is an invasive species, for sure. It has been 35 years since I was in the range management field and I do not recall the precise definition of "ecological condition," but I do believe that it is essentially a figure of merit based on how much of the original, natural plant composition of an area remains.
Originally Posted by Diggerman
No feeders, no hogs.

Thoroughly incorrect. Hogs have been here in this country a helluva lot longer than feeders have been in use. Feeders do not sustain wildlife, they manipulate their movement patterns.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: What? - 02/07/24
. . Feeders do not sustain wildlife, they manipulate their movement patterns.

Well. . . . Not all the time.
A place I hunted years ago southeast of Sonora, just
about midway between Sonora and the
Sutton/Edwards county line was poor poor poor,
and if it wasn't for the feeders, there probably
wouldn't be much of any whitetail deer at all.
A few scraggly oaks and mesquites, and the
odd prickly pear was about it. The landowner
had inherited the place and barely fed his cows
and goats, and if a rare blade of grass popped
up or an acorn or mesquite pod fell, there was
an animal standing right there to gobble it up.
The "nice" bucks were like some of the old
tweeker buck pencil racks that were around
when I started hunting in the 70's.
Anything with a thumb sized main beam was
a monster.
If it wasn't for the mountains of corn the
deer lease members distributed, it would
have been a total bust. I don't remember anybody
ever seeing a pig , only the rare javelina.
Very few of those.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: What? - 02/07/24
As far as in know, we don’t have established populations here. I have heard the reports of them coming down to ND and MT from Canada, but not sure that I believe they have much of or any population up there.

How do they fair in black bear country? Doesn’t seem like they would have much for natural predators in TX. They would have to be a boon for grizzlies and wolves if they ever got established in those areas.

They are native to Europe - the natural predators there would have been wolves and brown bears.
Originally Posted by Ranger99

a monster.
Very few of those.

That area is known for having anthrax wipe out 95% of the deer during an outbreak as well.

After an anthrax die off, deer can be scarce as hen's teeth. And about the time they get a decent population established, anthrax rears it's ugly head again and kills them off.
Do cougars eat them? Seems like they would.
Originally Posted by Slope77
Do cougars eat them? Seems like they would.

There's more hogs than mountain lions.

I'm sure they do though.

And vice versa.

I've seen first hand if you have a mountain lion caught in a trap, you'd better beat the hogs to it, or all you'll find is a bag of bones in the middle of a pile of fur.
Posted By: rost495 Re: What? - 02/07/24
Coyotes eat the piglets as they can. If often works in our favor, if we can find a sow with tiny ones and kill her, then whatever of the little ones I can't kill, probably 50% or more disappear. Its a start at least.

Maybe thats why I tend to give coyotes somewhat of a pass. I"ve seen them come through with a piglet in their mouth more than once.
There is no greater example than Hill country Texas and how so many species can cohabitate and be fat off a seemingly little food.
Hill country. That now has less whitetails than it had many years ago. Too many other animals to compete.

Its not always a negative in some ways. OTOH I'm a firm believer that if it was meant to be here they God would have placed it here. And folks importing stuff are just stupid and it will bite one sooner or later.

Same goes for genetically modified food just for greed. Its all for greed actually.

We are actually happy now that we have our pasture back to mostly native grass also. But I digress.

Now. How do you cook carp to eat? Gar are good. Buffalo ok. But carp taste muddy to me like bad crawfish.

Hogs ARE invasive, and feeders make up a large part of all wildlife diet. No feeders, no hogs.
Thats so far from the truth. Hogs eat other than feeder stuff most of their lives. They won't even touch feeders when other food is around and thats most of the year. You can MAKE them dependant on a feeder depending how you do it, but naturally they dont' rely on feeders.

a monster.
Very few of those.
You just told us feeders manipulated the movement of those deer. There is zero way those deer lived off what tiny amount of low quality feed a few feeders spread.
Originally Posted by rost495
Coyotes eat the piglets as they can. If often works in our favor, if we can find a sow with tiny ones and kill her, then whatever of the little ones I can't kill, probably 50% or more disappear. Its a start at least.

Maybe thats why I tend to give coyotes somewhat of a pass. I"ve seen them come through with a piglet in their mouth more than once.

Yeah, from what I hear of the problems the hogs cause down there, I would think most predators would get a pass. Time to reintroduce jaguars!! 😉

a monster.
Very few of those.
You just told us feeders manipulated the movement of those deer. There is zero way those deer lived off what tiny amount of low quality feed a few feeders spread.

I, not Ranger, made the assertion that feeders only manipulate movement of wildlife (and not deer exclusively).

Ranger made an assertion from which one might infer that feeders had sustained deer, not I. I'd also make the case that the conclusion that the feeders had sustained the deer is a faulty one.
Posted By: ldholton Re: What? - 02/07/24
in this neck of the woods the biggest contributor to the feral hog issue is the guys that take pigs in the mark twain national forest and turn them out. they thought it was a good idea so they could run their dogs well things are completely out of hand now and these boys if they get caught are heavily prosecuted. the damage to farmland is real when they get in the more agricultural areas. anybody that says it isn't is an absolute fool..
Originally Posted by ldholton
in this neck of the woods the biggest contributor to the feral hog issue is the guys that take pigs in the mark twain national forest and turn them out. they thought it was a good idea so they could run their dogs well things are completely out of hand now and these boys if they get caught are heavily prosecuted. the damage to farmland is real when they get in the more agricultural areas. anybody that says it isn't is an absolute fool..

Pretty good assessment.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: What? - 02/07/24
So I guess we can bring g those Escobar Hippos to Denmark then.....

Thats so far from the truth. Hogs eat other than feeder stuff most of their lives. They won't even touch feeders when other food is around and thats most of the year. You can MAKE them dependant on a feeder depending how you do it, but naturally they dont' rely on feeders.
Camaras on feeders tell a different story. Pigs will eat about anything, But feeders are their number one choice and once accustomed to them they stop traveling for food, Stay put and root up vegetation that deer might have eaten. Basically destroying the carring capacity of the area if not controlled.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: What? - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by 12344mag
So I guess we can bring g those Escobar Hippos to Denmark then.....

Maybe Hippos eat hogs...
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: What? - 02/07/24

Too phuggin many mushrooms!

Camaras on feeders tell a different story. Pigs will eat about anything, But feeders are their number one choice and once accustomed to them they stop traveling for food, Stay put and root up vegetation that deer might have eaten. Basically destroying the carring capacity of the area if not controlled.

LOL.

I wouldn't say that you know nothing, but I'd say that it appears that most of what you know is wrong.

Cameras on feeders don't tell you anything other than pigs came to the feeder. You seem to be in the habit of reaching rock solid conclusions based on mushy observations, and damned few of them to boot.
Artificial feed sources support artificial animal populations.

IF provided in sufficient quantity.
It don't take too dang much.

More of a timing issue.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: What? - 02/07/24
That's prolly why the 40 or so collared doves were hanging out on the phone wires this morning, waiting for the 50 or so pinyon jays to come in and say it's safe to come eat the scratch I put out for the two coveys of quail that hang out around here? Or the juncos that hang around most of the winter after they come out of the high country?

Maybe this fellow wouldn't have been hanging out, preening, on the garden fence yesterday as it waits for the house sparrows that come in to eat the chicken food? Or, instead of sparrows it was hoping I'd let the hens out of the Gulag on day parole?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now, the question might be asked how many of those birds would exist if I weren't feeding them? The robins have no problem getting fat on what they find around here as I don't see them feeding on the scratch or peanuts I put out. Just the highly abundant juniper berries this year and as it's been a mild winter whatever bugs and worms their finding in the yards. I'm pretty sure I've seen an increase in the jay population since we moved in, the invasive doves too. Caused by me?? or the other neighbors I know around here that feed birds too?

The authors of that article will get no argument from me about pigs (feral or any other type) increasing the diversity of the plant life in the area. That's cool, unless they're increasing it in a way that introduces nice things like cheat and medusa, or even junipers here which are considered "invasive" into the sagebrush/grasslands around this place. (The robins and other juniper berry eaters have done a wonderful job so far already)

As others have pointed out, pigs (and other critters) spreading diversity into farm/ranch land are not really doing the Humans in that area a favor.

"Biodiversity" is a great thing in some areas. I wish there was more on the BLM land behind this place. Having lived in a couple of places that were very similar habitat, I just know a good sized herd of elk could live here. My rancher neighbor that holds the grazing lease would probably not appreciate them eating the grass his cattle would like to eat though. The other neighbors would not like them getting into their hay stacks and pastures either I bet. But boy, it sure would be nice to maybe be able to draw an elk tag right out the back door.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: What? - 02/08/24

Bull fuggin chit !

300 years plus of hogs, record numbers now, and record numbers of whitetail deer !

Just like every other subject on here, y’all take what you read as fuggin Gospel.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: What? - 02/08/24

PREZACTLY!!! Barry nails it as per usual.
Posted By: ldholton Re: What? - 02/08/24

Bull fuggin chit !

300 years plus of hogs, record numbers now, and record numbers of whitetail deer !

Just like every other subject on here, y’all take what you read as fuggin Gospel.

yeah I'm sure it was overrun with feral hogs 300 years ago. the little javelina is not the same thing. even like the wild Russian boars that if you were imported some time ago are not the same thing..
the idea of intelligence escaped you years ago didn't it
You fuggers need to start learning history, even in the 1800’s there were so many gawddarned hogs they used to round them up with dogs in Texas Hill Country and do hog drives to market like cattle drives !

Not Javelina !

Hogs and their lineage have been in the Americas longer than most of you Fuggin immigrants!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: What? - 02/08/24

You sounding like a hero..
No, a survivor!

Mutha fuggers will eat bacon, porkchops, and ribs from the store until their fuggin heart seizes up but want to kill all the feral hogs.
Posted By: rost495 Re: What? - 02/08/24

Nope. They don't stop moving. They move in big circles and areas of other food. We don't have them every day. Sometimes they are gone for days or weeks or even months. Especially they move when its dry. Rain brings em back around. There isn't even CLOSE to enough corn at a feeder to make a difference in their lives. They would starve to death using only a feeder.

I've been around hogs my entire life.
Posted By: rost495 Re: What? - 02/08/24
No, a survivor!

Mutha fuggers will eat bacon, porkchops, and ribs from the store until their fuggin heart seizes up but want to kill all the feral hogs.
I can see why you use the Loco name. You ever hear of Valium? You need to get on the stuff. At least the elevator would have a chance to get to the top then.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What? - 02/08/24
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You sounding like a hero..

He sounds like a total retard.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: What? - 02/09/24
But its you stupid fuggs that don’t know about hogs and tow the party line.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: What? - 02/09/24
Still having a fit?

Scared that wild pigs won't be available for your Rambo fantasy?
Still having a fit?

Now that is some funny chit right there because I actually do spear them. From a 7’ ladder stand looking down on a piggy pipe setup.

I actually use this spearhead on a piece of 5’ pipe from Home depot, they bleed out and offgas through the hollow, just don’t put your face by the end of the pipe 🤣🤣🤣😂

(Pics deleted, they were only for Conrad)
Don’t hate the pigs man, they were here before most of you !
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What? - 02/09/24
I've read the bayonet was invented by boar bunters using single shot rifles.
Mostly all I hunt with is a single shot.
“So come on back Conrad if you wanna try again, I told you once you SOB, I’m the best there has ever been”
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: What? - 02/09/24
You aren't gonna like Hancos pig pictures.
You aren't gonna like Hancos pig pictures.

I have no problem with it. I’ve been guilty of the same until I changed my opinion of pigs away from the BS party line. 😂🤣

I changed my opinion because of the Plandemic and current events. I started learning the history of this food source, read agricultural reports as it relates to big money backings. Then I evaluated it all against what my eyes were showing me. Like hog and deer populations in record numbers cohabiting.

Now I just take smalls and let the rest reproduce.
Now lets talk about why God made the Madrone tree and why its fruit is ripe in the dead of winter.
Why do the areas of the world that have the most peoples over 100 years old eat dandelion?
Which oak tree has the best acorn for making flour ?
Where is the pines with the biggest nuts ?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What? - 02/09/24
I dunno about the pine with the biggest nuts, but...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Good one
Posted By: Dutch Re: What? - 02/09/24
Well, the story about the Siberian tigers last week mentioned their staple food is hogs, so maybe we should bring over a few of those to control those Texas hogs. I mean, EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas, why not the cats?

Think of the trophy fees!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What? - 02/09/24
If we bring tigers in, I may have to get a 6.5 Creedmire.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: What? - 02/09/24
Why do the areas of the world that have the most peoples over 100 years old eat dandelion?
Don't plan on living to 100,

but I sure as heck eat dandelion greens in my salads once they come up.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: What? - 02/09/24
Guess they have never seen or have owned land that had them suckers tear it up.

Try driving a tractor in a cotton field and hitting one of their 4 ft deep by 6 ft holes and get back to me.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: What? - 02/09/24
Don’t forget how the wolf saved Yellowstone too…

Posted By: Alan_C Re: What? - 02/09/24
No, a survivor!

Johnny loco, you make a lot of sense to me. I like pigs. Would rather eat pork than venison. Pigs like everything else is natures food source. Just step up hunting and serve more pork at the dinner table. It’s just like somewhere in either New Mexico or Arizona there where feral cattle. Instead of hunting them, it was proposed they were to be destroyed and left to rot. People complain about high meat prices when we have an opportunity to make good of these feral animals. Go figure!
Good thread Styx!
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: What? - 02/09/24
All I know about wild hogs is that they're a lot of fun to shoot. I'd love to get back down to Texas and shoot some more. I just need to find a farm that doesn't want to charge me $600 everytime I help them eliminate one of their problems.

Bb
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: What? - 02/09/24

Be sure to give humble praise and thanks when
you say your prayers
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
All I know about wild hogs is that they're a lot of fun to shoot. I'd love to get back down to Texas and shoot some more. I just need to find a farm that doesn't want to charge me $600 everytime I help them eliminate one of their problems.

Bb

I don’t think its right charging big money but with the tax cabal a man has to pay the tax man however he can.

I couldn’t care less how the relatively few feudal lord sodbusters with their Ag exemptions and money schemes feel about hogs, I ain’t a farmer.

I’m a common man, I view most “Wildlife Biologists” these days as “Faucis” and the whole agricultural community as “Big Pharma”, and the land owners as the “Hospitals”…Its all self a serving money machine with no regard for the common man !
And I have the same opinions on the World’s oceans, waterways, and wet lands.

Its all about control by the feudal lords.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: What? - 02/09/24
I was looking for an easy link but they were all long and complicated. Feral pigs were a problem even before 1700 in New England, got so numerous that the Indians largely switched over to a hog-based economy, King Phillip’s War, our first major Indian War was sparked by Metacomon (AKA King Phillip) running his hogs on Hog Island, POing the surrounding settlers.

Any town that sound like Coshocton or Cohocton comes from an Algonquin term meaning “place with hogs”, there’s one along the Upoer Delaware in NY State, by the 1780’s the name transferring to the main Delaware Indian town in present day Ohio.

I think it was Olmstead whose 1857 campsite in East Texas was overrun by semi-feral hogs and who remarked there were numerous poor Whites squatters in the area for whom feral pigs and cattle were a major source of sustenance ( if it weren’t Olmstead it was a guy 20 years earlier).

So yes, feral hogs go way back, maybe as long ago as DeSoto.

The mystery is why have their populations been skyrocketing in recent years.
Sometimes the reasoning of “why” is searching for a more complex answer.

Whats the reason for the skyrocketing boom in human populations?

I will say this on the history of the subject, we don’t have MEN anymore like there was in times of old. Can you even imagine rounding up pigs out of the roughest part of Hill Country for a drive?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What? - 02/09/24
Originally Posted by Alan_C
No, a survivor!

Johnny loco, you make a lot of sense to me. I like pigs. Would rather eat pork than venison. Pigs like everything else is natures food source. Just step up hunting and serve more pork at the dinner table. It’s just like somewhere in either New Mexico or Arizona there where feral cattle. Instead of hunting them, it was proposed they were to be destroyed and left to rot. People complain about high meat prices when we have an opportunity to make good of these feral animals. Go figure!

LOL.

Sockpuppet circle jerk. Why don't you both go jack each other off somewhere else?

Lets see some pictures of you both living off the land, eating feral hogs and cattle.

We'll wait.
Posted By: ldholton Re: What? - 02/09/24
loco should think of this a bit different. if everyone was out surviving on hunting hogs and not at the grocery store there would probably not be very many hogs out there. so the people going to the grocery store the farmers butchering their own stuff is actually making more for him. but then he also hates the farmers and they should be out of business so therefore they would be honey hogs and there would be no grocery stores..

I think you puffed up too much loco weed ate too many gummies or just a genuine dumbass which one is it..
Posted By: Snipebander Re: What? - 02/09/24
The reason the Texas hog problem took off according to my wildlife mgmt friends is thus. Deer lease prices took off several years ago and the leases want something else to hunt for the money, so ranchers started trapping hogs and relocating them so that the hunters could come year round to hunt. It had gotten so bad that the TX legs. passed a law that it was illegal to have a live feral hog in a trailer on the highway unless it was going to a slaughter facility.
Hogs survive, because thats what hogs do.
No, a survivor!

LOL.

Sockpuppet circle jerk. Why don't you both go jack each other off somewhere else?

Lets see some pictures of you both living off the land, eating feral hogs and cattle.

We'll wait.
You sir need to change your meds!
No, a survivor!

LOL.

We'll wait.

LOL.

How about that photo of you living off of feral hogs and feral cattle?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What? - 02/09/24
Hogs will eat each other.
No, a survivor!

LOL.

We'll wait.

LOL.

How about that photo of you living off of feral hogs and feral cattle?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Never said I was living off feral hogs. I just don’t believe in wasting food sources of any kind. It’s all about proper management. Personal attacks will never force me to agree with you. I do respect your opinion though!
Never said I was living off feral hogs. I just don’t believe in wasting food sources of any kind. It’s all about proper management. Personal attacks will never force me to agree with you. I do respect your opinion though!

So you know a bit about wildlife management?

And food sources?

I'm not attacking you sir. I'm just pointing out that you are agreeing with a retard who knows nothing of either subject.

Our local game processing plant condemns about half of the feral hogs brought in to them as unfit for human consumption. They throw them in the condemned barrel with permanent dye so they can't be eaten.

Those cattle that were killed in NM were feral in very rugged mountains, and while I didn't agree with them being shot the way they were, there's ranchers with cattle that are taken care of in the same area, and you turn a bunch of hunters loose in there telling them to kill feral cattle, how many would they kill that aren't.

As far as wasting food sources, I know you must see me as a real bad man for not eating even one of the multiple hundreds of coyotes I've killed. smile

You CAN eat them. I've seen it done.

If you don't believe in wasting food sources of any kind, then how do feel about the hogs that follow farmers as they plant, and eat every single corn seed they plant, the night after they plant them? What will feed more people? The hogs or the corn field?

All I'm saying is to be a true believer, then.... BE a true believer.
The hogs that don’t meet USDA standards go to animal food or to compost. The coyotes you kill, would in turn eat the piglets. If people ate more meat instead of corn, would we have less Diabetes ? I don’t know. Again with proper management , you would have less pigs eating the corn just planted. There are people on this forum far sharper than me, so I do consider others opinions. Your turn!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: What? - 02/09/24
Wish I could get folks to come pay me to shoot starlings and cats, maybe a pack rat or two, on my 7Acre RANCH!

Hell, I'd even clean 'em and cut 'em up for them to take home.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Wish I could get folks to come pay me to shoot starlings and cats, maybe a pack rat or two, on my 7Acre RANCH!

Maybe a solution, Rat Terrier. Had one. One time I lifted up a sheet of plywood laying on the ground . There were about 5-6 large mice living there. That dog got them all before the could scramble. I’ll never forget it.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: What? - 02/10/24
I get called a “retard” by a kan’t kut it kunnny.

Get off the couch and do something mutha fuggers, life is short !

Too funny!

Posted By: Valsdad Re: What? - 02/10/24
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Maybe a solution, Rat Terrier. Had one. One time I lifted up a sheet of plywood laying on the ground . There were about 5-6 large mice living there. That dog got them all before the could scramble. I’ll never forget it.

Well Alan, I was being a bit facetious there. We do have some packrats here, they build awesome nests. I shoot the starlings with a pellet gun when I can, and as soon as the lady across the street moves out, if any of the cats are left they'll die too. The rats really aren't that big of a problem, like pigs are on some farms/ranches.

A packrat nest up the hill from our place. Remington 870 Express 20g for scale. Not even the biggest nest I've seen out there.

Posted By: Alan_C Re: What? - 02/10/24
Thanks for sharing!! Always enjoy your posts. There is some good YouTube videos of Guys that hunt rats and muskrats with trained Minks. Minks are tough!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What? - 02/10/24
I get called a “retard” by a kan’t kut it kunnny.

Get off the couch and do something mutha fuggers, life is short !

Too funny!

LOL.

While I applaud your effort, you ain't no Tim Wells. laugh

You might draw blood with that setup if it were placed in a small pen of weanling piglets... grin

Got any dead hog pics?

If you weren't so crazy you might kill big boars with a BB gun, like I do... laugh laugh
I’ve made the mistake of dropping down on a big boar and couple of sows, won’t do that again, its a young stupid man’s game !

This spear will go slam through them then its like a marlin on a gaff.

I only eat smalls.
I’ve made the mistake of dropping down on a big boar and couple of sows, won’t do that again, its a young stupid man’s game !

This spear will go slam through them then its like a marlin on a gaff.

I only eat smalls.

Sure you do.

Still having a fit?

Now that is some funny chit right there because I actually do spear them. From a 7’ ladder stand looking down on a piggy pipe setup.

I actually use this spearhead on a piece of 5’ pipe from Home depot, they bleed out and offgas through the hollow, just don’t put your face by the end of the pipe 🤣🤣🤣😂

(Pics deleted, they were only for Conrad)

Let's see some of those dead hogs... grin
I won’t be posting any dead animals of any type.
I won’t be posting any dead animals of any type.

Why not?

You sure don't seem to have any trouble with having a complete mental meltdown in a public forum.

dead hogs bother you? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
No meltdown at all, The only emotion I obtain from the internet is laughter. 😂🤣

Could not give a rat’s ass about the subjects nor the bots 😂🤣

The thought that I’m “bothered” by anything is comical to me, especially dead stuff. I was desensitized well before I created the highway of death.

I do get anxious when I run low on paper towels or toilet paper though.
© 24hourcampfire