Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#19185666 02/06/24
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.chron.com/life/wildlife...ix9fmT-ixWX8AtAoNrMw0YVNtJNehuiZuqAiR2o0

Feral hogs are not as harmful as we thought, according to a new study
The wild pigs were actually found to increase plant diversity in environments where they are introduced.
By Ariana GarciaFeb 5, 2024
A new study finds that feral hogs actually help increase plant diversity in environments where they are introduced.

Feral hogs might not be as damaging as we thought. They might even be good for the environment. A group of researchers with Aaruhs University in Denmark found that, contrary to popular belief, large "invasive" or "feral" plant-eating mammals do not have stronger or more negative effects on plant abundance and diversity than their native equivalents. Instead, large herbivores—whether invasive or native—help shape many ecosystems by spreading seeds and increasing plant diversity, the authors argue. The findings were published on Thursday in the journal Science.

Erick Ludgren, an Aarhus University postdoctoral researcher and one of the study's authors, wrote on X that the study's purpose was to question whether a visitor from another planet could tell which large mammals were native or introduced based on their actual impacts. "If nativeness is a real biological variable, then it must be measurable," Lundgren wrote. "Otherwise, nativeness would remain a description of dispersal history and not be a meaningful way to understand ecological interactions."

For the study, researchers observed "megafauna"—animals that weigh about 100 pounds—that only consume plants and analyzed approximately 4,000 plant abundance and diversity responses from 221 studies to native and introduced large mammals. They found that the most important factor in determining a species' effects on the surrounding ecosystem was its dietary preferences, not where it came from.
Researchers found that feral hogs 'often increase plant diversity, at times doubling native plant diversity by suppressing competitive dominants.

Communities dominated by selective feeders tended to decrease plant diversity, while communities with "nonselective bulk feeders" tended to increase diversity. The researchers classified feral hogs as "dietary generalists," adding they "often increase plant diversity, at times doubling native plant diversity by suppressing competitive dominants."

The study's results suggest practicing caution is necessary with "how we assign notions like 'harm' to the impacts of introduced organisms," Lundgren wrote. "The prevailing logics of invasion biology make it easy to call anything an introduced organism does 'harmful' simply (because) they do not 'belong.'"As an example, Lundgren noted that feral hogs tend to increase native plant diversity in both their native and introduced ranges. "Yet these impacts are described with completely different language depending on whether we think pigs, and their effects, belong," he said.

In Texas—which boasts the most feral hogs in the country—state officials recently proposed using a poison made with warfarin, a type of blood thinner, to reduce populations of wild pigs. The species are said to be among the most destructive in the U.S., causing around $2.5 billion in damages. However, the new study argues against such culling measures, suggesting they are unnecessary and may even be more harmful to the "conservation of wild and diverse ecosystems" they are meant to protect.

"The invasion of cultural values, like 'belonging,' into scientific claims creates partial knowledge (e.g., only applicable if you share the same beliefs), excludes people with other values, and may harm biodiversity itself," Lundgren wrote.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
The study's results suggest practicing caution is necessary with "how we assign notions like 'harm' to the impacts of introduced organisms," Lundgren wrote. "The prevailing logics of invasion biology make it easy to call anything an introduced organism does 'harmful' simply (because) they do not 'belong.'"As an example, Lundgren noted that feral hogs tend to increase native plant diversity in both their native and introduced ranges. "Yet these impacts are described with completely different language depending on whether we think pigs, and their effects, belong," he said.

Wow, it's uncanny. I was down at the feed store the other day, and old Jesper was telling Wilbur the exact same thing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I guess hogs are just like illegal aliens then.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Open Borders Globalist Scum. 🤣😂🤣

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feral hogs might not be as damaging as we thought. They might even be good for the environment. A group of researchers with Aaruhs University in Denmark found that, contrary to popular belief, large "invasive" or "feral" plant-eating mammals do not have stronger or more negative effects on plant abundance and diversity than their native equivalents. Instead, large herbivores—whether invasive or native—help shape many ecosystems by spreading seeds and increasing plant diversity, the authors argue.

I don't need an advanced degree in anything to say that those "researchers" are full of schitt.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I don’t think Ariana has ever farmed before. Neither have I, but I’ve read numerous articles about how feral hogs trash corn fields. Maybe her idea of plant diversity is wiping out monoculture corn fields and replacing them with native vegetation. Her paper sounds too ivory tower.

B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
When did hogs become vegeatarians?

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Liberal trash article/author.

The other liberal trash will repeat it for years though...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

And they will use it to crusade to ban hog hunting, too. Watch and see.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hopefully while warfarin kills ferals by the 10's of thousands.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what you want.

Lately I've been amused at the whole, stocked, reintroduced, feral, bullschidt.

A rainbow trout is great, a carp bad.
Snakeheads are bad, stripped bass good.

Feral cats are bad! "BUT, BUT, BUT, we can't kill THEM! They are Fluffy's cousins!"
So we spend money to catch, neuter, then RELEASE(?) them.

Wild horses are feral, non-native, and destructive as hell.
So we protect them, and waste money on ineffective control measures.

Hogs do spread seeds and might help with biodiversity.

They might be great on wilderness type land.
Farmers, ranchers, most land owners aren't interested in what they do, especially
how they do it.

Every farmer I know fights biodiversity.
They want corn, oats, wheat, soybeans, or specific grasses, not a bunch
of other crap.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oats 9eas beans and barley groe do you or I or anyone know how oats 9eas beans and barley groe.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I don’t think Ariana has ever farmed before. Neither have I, but I’ve read numerous articles about how feral hogs trash corn fields. Maybe her idea of plant diversity is wiping out monoculture corn fields and replacing them with native vegetation. Her paper sounds too ivory tower.

Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

Yep - had a German tourist tell me one time bears are strictly vegetarian. He got this sour " I don't believe you" look when I told him that studies have shown that up to 70% of moose calf mortality by predators is by bears.

As Reagan said about Democrats: " It isn't that they don't know anything. It's just that so much of what they know is wrong."

Last edited by las; 02/06/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anything that plows up the ground will increase diversity.

Years back a rancher southeast of us was having issues with the BLM over a rare locoweed on his grazing allotment. Seems it was most common in the disturbed sites around the stock tanks.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

the left sat them down and told the hogs its better to eat plants and bugs. i don't think it werked.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Feral hogs might not be as damaging as we thought. They might even be good for the environment. A group of researchers with Aaruhs University in Denmark found that, contrary to popular belief, large "invasive" or "feral" plant-eating mammals do not have stronger or more negative effects on plant abundance and diversity than their native equivalents. Instead, large herbivores—whether invasive or native—help shape many ecosystems by spreading seeds and increasing plant diversity, the authors argue.

I don't need an advanced degree in anything to say that those "researchers" are full of schitt.

Yep, they are nuthin but bad news. I do my absolute best to eliminate everyone I see.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

And they will use it to crusade to ban hog hunting, too. Watch and see.

L.W.

Hog Huggers! laugh

I think there's a couple here too... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm glad we don't have any.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm glad we don't have any.

You will.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 1minute
Anything that plows up the ground will increase diversity.

Years back a rancher southeast of us was having issues with the BLM over a rare locoweed on his grazing allotment. Seems it was most common in the disturbed sites around the stock tanks.
that right there the person is not always good when you're trying to raise purebred livestock or a true crop.
root up the crop that's wanting to be grown and don't do nothing else with it the weeds will overtake it and that's diversity. kind of like the trash we have as humans in this country from other third world [bleep] anymore.. and in that case the Democrats or the hogs rooting it up letting the weeds in

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.