Home
Posted By: TwoTall Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
Thinking about going to the Wanenmacher gun show in Tulsa this April 6 and 7th. Bout a 15 hour drive for me. Any advice on parking, hotels, prices, what to expect would be appreciated. Not really looking for anything specific, just a good deal. Wondering if that can be had there. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
It's a huge show in an 11 acre building. The building will be full of tables (over 4,000). If you haven't made hotel reservations yet, get on it. Don't stay on the north side of the city. You'll want to be south of 21st street. Lots of eateries and some nice restaurants. If you can buy entry tickets early, do it. Otherwise you'll be in line for a couple of hours.
As far as good deals go, you'll have to decide if something is a good deal. One bit of advice; If you find something you are looking for, get it. If you don't you will either not be able to remember where it was or someone else will have bought it.
If you have more specific questions, pm me. I've had tables at this show since about 1986.
Posted By: TwoTall Re: Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
Thanks. Just the type of info I was looking for.
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
It's a huge show in an 11 acre building. The building will be full of tables (over 4,000). If you haven't made hotel reservations yet, get on it. Don't stay on the north side of the city. You'll want to be south of 21st street. Lots of eateries and some nice restaurants. If you can buy entry tickets early, do it. Otherwise you'll be in line for a couple of hours.
As far as good deals go, you'll have to decide if something is a good deal. One bit of advice; If you find something you are looking for, get it. If you don't you will either not be able to remember where it was or someone else will have bought it.
If you have more specific questions, pm me. I've had tables at this show since about 1986.

This is all good advice. I took a tour bus there last year and had a blast! They have all the logistics taken care of, lodging, meals, tables, etc. I am super excited to go again this year.
OSU Sig I have a feeling you aren't telling me everything you know.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
When I went the only place we could find to eat was the same place all the exhibitors and attendees were at. We waited probably 45 mts to get seated. It’s a great show. The isles were narrow and there’s an old woman running around there willing to run over you if she can. I saw some of the best exhibits of fine firearms I’ve seen. Parker shotguns and Winchester rifles. Many other makes. I had a friend Kim with a table there and I never was able to find him.
Bring good shoes.
Where did the bus depart from? Minnesota I guess. It sounds like it is worth the trip.
I like Revolvers and it seems it is mostly pistols in your run of the mill gun shops nowadays. So I was thinking I could find a few revolvers in Tulsa.
Posted By: pyscodog Re: Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
OSU Sig pretty much nailed it. Maybe not a two hour wait to get a ticket but there will be a line for sure. Best deals are from people walking the floor. If you find someone needing to sell something so they can buy something else is where the deals are at. The dealer tables are getting so expensive the dealers are hard to deal with. If you find a single table with three -four people setting there, its just some guys trying to sell some personal stuff and get in the show cheap, and have a place to set when they get tired. By the way, that isn't a bad idea. Me and a friend did the same a few years ago. Even made a little money doing it. Its a great show, have fun.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
I've been several times on the dealer and the visitor end .. if you've never been it's damn sure worth the trip.. if you're driving that far you want to stay all night and go both days. but you better look outside the immediate Tulsa area a bit for a hotel room by now because it will be booked up..
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Wanenmacher - 02/27/24
I will be there. Would be interested in meeting up with other fire members.
Posted By: TwoTall Re: Wanenmacher - 02/28/24
Marten trapper, I will definitely reach out if I get to go. I agree it would be good to meet up with other fire members. In a place like the Wanenmacher I suspect it is sometimes not what you know but who you know.
If I go back a second time I will look into getting a table.
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 03/01/24
Originally Posted by TwoTall
I like Revolvers and it seems it is mostly pistols in your run of the mill gun shops nowadays. So I was thinking I could find a few revolvers in Tulsa.

I have a bunch on NIB (old) Smith's I may bring with this year. My J frame collection has gotten out of control.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Wanenmacher - 03/01/24
Anyone know the details on the bus from Mn to Tulsa and back?
Posted By: BladeRimfire Re: Wanenmacher - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by pyscodog
OSU Sig pretty much nailed it. Maybe not a two hour wait to get a ticket but there will be a line for sure. Best deals are from people walking the floor. If you find someone needing to sell something so they can buy something else is where the deals are at. The dealer tables are getting so expensive the dealers are hard to deal with. If you find a single table with three -four people setting there, its just some guys trying to sell some personal stuff and get in the show cheap, and have a place to set when they get tired. By the way, that isn't a bad idea. Me and a friend did the same a few years ago. Even made a little money doing it. Its a great show, have fun.
If you see 3 or 4 guys that are at a Table that will be me and 3 of my friends. I'm not a dealer. This will be our 4th consecutive April show. Learned after the first year of standing outside in line with cold temperatures and blowing wind not to do it again. The regular dealers come to us fast before the patrons come in as half the items appearantly priced to cheap. I'm an avid collector and I'm steadily upgrading. I'll kiss and tell early what some are but won't mention prices as that's for the classifieds. I'm not trying to sell and have to ship. I've actually never shipped a firearm but I've had probably close to 60 shipped to me that I've found on multiple forums. As I've aged (52) my interest have become more defined. Items I'm selling may be:
S&W 31-1 mint in box, Para LDA 12.45 in box, Para Expert 14.45 with multiple extended Canadian mags, Remington 200th Anniversary 1100 Sporting 12ga double boxed, Ithaca M37 Upland 12ga, two dressed out S&W 1911TA stainless & black immaculate 1987 Browning hi power target sight, S&W 442-2, original Ruger mark iii 22/45 LITE, S&W PC EZ380, Ruger LCR 38+P, various firearm miscellaneous items, and maybe some scope. All my items are in mint condition, the only thing with a little wear is the Ithaca. I want to come back home with nothing. My prices won't be give aways but they'll be lower than any other table in the building. I've been 3 times before. I know how to price to sell.
For those who've never been you don't have to leave with anything. The experience is worth the money and time spent. Please introduce yourself to me. I'll be swapping seats with the other men as I'm looking for 3 sought after items myself. I'll be on the upper level by the end wall roll up door table location 37B tables 4&5. On the tables there will be what appears a yellow curtain with black Ruger insignias all over it.
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 03/27/24
I leave in a week. I am pumped.
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: Wanenmacher - 03/27/24
According to the thread in the classifieds, look closely at Leupolds. Guess there's a bunch of fakes out there.
Posted By: LBP Re: Wanenmacher - 03/27/24
How do you go about buying a handgun there if you live in another state?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Wanenmacher - 03/27/24
also if you see something you're kind of interested in and do not want to purchase at the moment you need to write down the table aisle number and location because you may never find it again..
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by ldholton
also if you see something you're kind of interested in and do not want to purchase at the moment you need to write down the table aisle number and location because you may never find it again..

Last year was my first time but if I saw something I was thinking about, by the time I got back it was gone. I am hoping to buy a truckload of factory wood while I am there.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wanenmacher - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by LBP
buying face to face might be problematic......................in a way?

I'd guess buying from a dealer's table would requiring shipping it to your local FFL just like for internet sales.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Wanenmacher - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by LBP

Depends on whether you buy NIB from an FFL………gotta follow those ATF rules.
Used from an individual………plunk down your money and take it home.
Last year I was by the ATM and I saw them fill it 3 times the first day so bring cash.
Posted By: RAM Re: Wanenmacher - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by LBP

I'd guess buying from a dealer's table would requiring shipping it to your local FFL just like for internet sales.
Wrong.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Wanenmacher - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by LBP

Bring along one of those fat chicks and stash it in a wrinkle…
Posted By: LBP Re: Wanenmacher - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by LBP

There’s an idea, and it would be fun looking for it later
Originally Posted by LBP

I like the "Fun Sized Girls"!
Posted By: LBP Re: Wanenmacher - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by LBP

I like the "Fun Sized Girls"!
Me too!
Posted By: Strop10 Re: Wanenmacher - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by LBP

Wrong.

How is that wrong?
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 04/01/24
I leave in less than 48 hours. I can't wait and hope to fill the bus with good wood stocks.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Wanenmacher - 04/02/24
I'll be there for both days. I've been to the show many times, but this will be the first time I'm staying in town for both days.
I bring a backpack and an extra gun sling to carry items I might purchase, plus I carry some drinks, snacks, and Aleve. That plus a small tripod stool to plunk down on if my back gets to hurting too bad and I'm not near any seating.
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 04/02/24
We should be there at noon Friday. Last year was my first time. I am bringing a big roller suitcase and putting under the table and as I find treasures I can haul them back and dump them in the suitcase. I hope to have it filled with good factory wood before noon on Sunday.
Posted By: travis301 Re: Wanenmacher - 04/02/24
I’ll be at table S28 up top. It’s on the south side of the main south aisle. West of main public entrance, there are bathrooms and food court right behind us. Buddy will be bringing 10-12 guns, mainly 700’s. Stop in and say hey. I’ll will be there Friday and half day Saturday as I have to be back home Saturday night.
Thanks Travis
Originally Posted by travis301
I’ll be at table S28 up top. It’s on the south side of the main south aisle. West of main public entrance, there are bathrooms and food court right behind us. Buddy will be bringing 10-12 guns, mainly 700’s. Stop in and say hey. I’ll will be there Friday and half day Saturday as I have to be back home Saturday night.
Thanks Travis

I don't remember our "shared" table numbers but we are right next to the bathrooms and food court. It sounds like we could be neighbors. smile
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Wanenmacher - 04/02/24
I've heard about this one before, but I haven't been to a gun show in 20 years as I was disappointed in the last one I visited. I might have to check this one out as I'm only half a tank of fuel away, and this one may be able to change my opinion of gun shows. Not that I'm looking or have a need for anything, but I am intrigued about an 11AC indoor gun show.

I'm no where near close enough to purchase tickets in advance, and I have an aversion to bullshit, so I definitely won't be waiting more than 20 mins to purchase a ticket to go in. If their queue system is that fooked then I'd rather not even bother. I'm surprised that tickets cannot be purchased online for digital tickets and instant access. Do all y'all non-locals really wait over an hour for tickets? I cannot remember the last time I waited in line for than 10-15 mins to purchase tickets to an event, no matter the size.
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
I've heard about this one before, but I haven't been to a gun show in 20 years as I was disappointed in that one. I might have to check this one out as I'm only half a tank of fuel away, and this one may be able to change my opinion of gun shows.

As far as I am concerned, this is the Mother of all shows.
Posted By: travis301 Re: Wanenmacher - 04/02/24
Thanks Travis

I don't remember our "shared" table numbers but we are right next to the bathrooms and food court. It sounds like we could be neighbors. smile

Look us up. Guy to the right of us always had a couple tables of knives and watches
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 04/03/24
Thanks Travis

Look us up. Guy to the right of us always had a couple tables of knives and watches

If you just offered me a free beer, count me in! smile
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Wanenmacher - 04/03/24
My dad and I have had tables at the Tulsa arms show for 20 years. Island 17 A on the north end cap. I have a bunch of powder and primers and we like older wood stocked guns so that's what we sell. This show is not like any other show in the country. People come from all over the world to this show. Last year the buyer from Cabelas gun library bought almost every gun on our tables. I think it was 19 guns. Almost any gun you have ever heard of will be at this show. If you are there both days and visit every table you can spend like 15 seconds at each table if you want to see them all. There also isn't much BS like vinyl siding, solar panels or scentsy warmers. Tables are required to be guns or gun related items like 90%. We buy guns all year just to take to the Tulsa show.
Posted By: travis301 Re: Wanenmacher - 04/03/24
Thanks Travis

No alcohol “sold” inside that I’m aware of during show? But sometimes people have been known to bring a nip of whiskey with them 🤔
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Wanenmacher - 04/03/24
I will be there as a tourist. I'll look for other fire members. Be there Sat. And Sunday.
Thanks Travis

No alcohol “sold” inside that I’m aware of during show? But sometimes people have been known to bring a nip of whiskey with them 🤔

Well, it's a good thing I have my little nippy flask packed then!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Wanenmacher - 04/03/24
I called the office a week ago. Lady said to show up at 9 am or later and the line to buy tickets will be shorter.
That is probably good advice. I know last year they were lined up outside way before the opening.
Posted By: KirkJ Re: Wanenmacher - 04/03/24
It’s too bad that there isn’t online ticket sales in advance. That would make life easier for a whole lot of people
Posted By: Rapier Re: Wanenmacher - 04/03/24
You can buy "ghost" tables and get a dealer badge or if you are smart, a table so you have a place to go sit in your chair. Friday is the real trade day, if you like to dicker or trade or just a buyer. Setup starts at 1:00 pr 2:00 and do not count on a limper tag, folks camp in the handicapped slots with tags days before.
If new or you left before noon on Sunday, you get second floor West end, most old timers come there for the easy pickings on newbies, first. We always left early on purpose. But we are 18+ hours out by vehicle.
My Suburbans and Yukon XLs made a few trips from FL to Tulsa and back, many good memories traveling with five collectors, together, odd part was by the time we got back home we usually had traded between us more than at the show and had cooked up some pretty convoluted trades.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wanenmacher - 04/04/24
OSU Sig I have a feeling you aren't telling me everything you know.
A wise one, you are...
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wanenmacher - 04/04/24
Originally Posted by martentrapper
I will be there. Would be interested in meeting up with other fire members.
Marten trapper, I will definitely reach out if I get to go. I agree it would be good to meet up with other fire members. In a place like the Wanenmacher I suspect it is sometimes not what you know but who you know.
If I go back a second time I will look into getting a table.
I'll be at 26C. Upper level toward the west end. Come by and say howdy. Look for the guy with left handed rifles.
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Wanenmacher - 04/07/24
I’m left handed. Be looking for you Sunday.
Posted By: Sooner1911 Re: Wanenmacher - 04/08/24
Well I had a good time on Saturday. My brother and I were there from about 9 til 4:30. Picked up a couple of nicely stacked Weatherby Mark XXIIs from an Arkansas dealer that were consigned. Not a great deal, but a price fair for both of us. He could not deliver since he was out of state, which was new to me given that it was a long gun. Bought a really nice DU Beretta 3901. I thought I got that at a great price. Also a Kabar stacked leather fixed blade, a pair of Colt 1911 grips, and two shell plates for my Dillon. No takers on my Kreighoff. Lots of blued steel and walnut. Lots of lever actions. Lots of Colt Snakes, both old and new. Saw some pretty stuff. Something for everyone.

Regards,

Kris
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 04/09/24
I just got home about midnight last night and I had a BLAST. I sure didn't sit or stand much. I managed to drag some rifles home as well as a half a truckload of new Marlin lever wood.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Wanenmacher - 04/09/24
I was hunting S&W K38s and a Colt Officers Model Match or Target. Didn’t find any even in shooter shape worth the money.

Had a handful of guns out on the table, sold one shotgun and had a few lowball offers on the rest.

Overall I had a great time and got to catch up with old friends and look at some cool stuff. But it didn’t seem like the money was changing hands like it had in past years, in either direction.
Posted By: 160user Re: Wanenmacher - 04/09/24
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire