Home
Posted By: Jevyod Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I am in my upper 30s and looking to get a motorcycle. I know very little about them, but know some are fuel injected while some have carburators. That is part of my question. I have a buddy that had a dual carb bike and he said it was nothing but problems. Said he would never get another. Is that true of all dual carb bikes? Can a person run ethenol free to help the issues? The problem I see is most cheap motorcycles (under 3500) are dual carb systems. I am basically wanting a cycle to ride to work when I can as my trailblazer sucks on gas mileage.
Another question I have, I am short and heavy.. Will a 650-750 cc cruiser style bike get a 275 lb person up to 75 easily? Along with that, my inseam is only 30 inches. Any way to tell what seat height I should be getting? I know, really newbie questions. But figure at least some of you guys have insight!
BTW the 2 main bikes that I keep seeing on marketplace that are cheaper are Kawasaki Vulcans and Yamaha v-syar. Any reason to choose one over the other? Thanks!
Posted By: keekeerun Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Check out YouTube video's and whatever bike your interested in there will be video's about it.
It's a rabbit whole to go down for sure and checkout the motorcycle crash videos and learn how not to ride.Like the Molly Hatchet song says "flirting with disaster ain't for everybody".
Good Luck
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Find a late 1990s Harley soft tail- - - -1300 CC engine, single carburetor, and none of the bells and whistles that make more "modern" bikes a PITA to keep in tune. The EVO V twin was the best engine Harley ever made. Mine has 88K miles, and has no mechanical issues whatsoever- - - -doesn't even leak oil! It's also got enough torque to keep your fat azz from getting left behind on the highway, and it sits pretty low to the ground. My 97 soft tail gets 20+ MPG and has all the power any sane person would want. 80+ MPH is just a throttle twist away anytime I want. I'm 6'1" and 240. I've been riding various bikes off and on since 1958. There are Harley riders- - - -and guys who want to be Harley riders.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Is $3500 your target price range?
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Find a late 1990s Harley soft tail- - - -1300 CC engine, single carburetor, and none of the bells and whistles that make more "modern" bikes a PITA to keep in tune. The EVO V twin was the best engine Harley ever made. Mine has 88K miles, and has no mechanical issues whatsoever- - - -doesn't even leak oil! It's also got enough torque to keep your fat azz from getting left behind on the highway, and it sits pretty low to the ground. My 97 soft tail gets 20+ MPG and has all the power any sane person would want. 80+ MPH is just a throttle twist away anytime I want. I'm 6'1" and 240. I've been riding various bikes off and on since 1958. There are Harley riders- - - -and guys who want to be Harley riders.
I also ran an EVO for about a bazillion miles but mine was fuel injected. Bike was practically trouble free.
Posted By: Teal Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I've had 3 separate FI Harleys - never a single issue. EVER over 2 separate engine architectures. Fuel mileage was usually in the 40+ mpg range and I like to hear the Rinehart's bark. Last Road Glide would see highway speeds well before the rev limiter in 2nd gear/ going to 3rd.

Some older carb Evo's in the family. Mostly trouble free. Get the traditional potato-potato-potato sound with them but power wise, complete dog compared to the new bikes.

That said to the OP - what you're looking at is ok and likely easily found in that price range. As to seat height, you really have to sit on them. IE - my mother's 4'11" and she ride a Road King - low seat but you'd never guess it looking at her.

The issue with dual carbs is usually synchronization which takes some tools/thought - IME.

Buy something cheap as there are 2 types of riders, those that have crashed and those that will. Used/older - you won't worry so much. Build skills. Parking lots on weekends are great for that.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Always cracks me up when someone buys a motorcycle to “save money” as I did long ago grin

First figure in the cost of riding gear, gloves, boots helmet and possibly rain gear and saddlebags. Expect to need 15 minutes extra time out the door and again back home changing in/out of riding gear, packing/unpacking stuff stashed in saddlebags/bunnies to seat.

How long is your commute? A low seat “cruiser” style of motorcycle like the ones you mentioned are good for beginners and short people but the feet-forward/sit down riding position can be hard on the butt/lower back on longer rides.

Any 650 and up bikes should have useful acceleration up to at least 80 and be able to cruise at 75 all day long.

Good luck, my “motorcycle to save money” became five consecutive motorcycles over 12 years and 250,000 miles. Can’t save they saved me much money tho 🙂

All mine had carbs, but fuel injection is mo’ better IMHO
If 3500 bucks, low seat height, simple and 75 mph are the parameters the Suzuki Boulevard S40 is what you want
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
You only live once.Find you a Yamaha RD400 or Daytona Special…
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Is $3500 your target price range?
Yes it is
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I prefer carburetors.

We have a V Star. It's a nice bike.

The 1100 will tote you fine.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I had them all and Harley was the best.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I have a V-Star 650 and it sets plenty low for a short person. I won't say it will cruise 75 all day or keep up with Interstate traffic but it will cruise nicely at 65 mph. It depends on where you want to cruise to. The 1100 V-Star will suit you just fine if you want to cruise Interstate traffic.

kwg
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I’m on my forth Harley, ride a 14 trike now both knees replaced, I will ride until the day I can’t climb on. Greatest freedom in life.
Posted By: pappabear Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
For your safety and others, the first thing you need to do is get enrolled in a MC safety course!
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Like was already said, if your reason to get a bike is to save money, don't, because you wont.
If you want a bike because you want to ride, then go for it.
I speak from experience here.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by pappabear
For your safety and others, the first thing you need to do is get enrolled in a MC safety course!

100% agree and worth every penny and every second on the MC course. The training is legit and will probably save your life.

Second, there is no replacement for displacement. I'd get at least a 1100cc bike. One of your defensive driving options on a motorcycle is accelerating away from danger. A big dude on a little bike eliminates that escape option.

Nothing wrong with carburetors. I've had bikes with 4 carbs, one for each cylinder. Your buddy needs to learn how to tune them, or have it done by a bike shop. Fuel injected is really nice and reduces the tuning required, but adds $$$ to the purchase cost. FI bikes are also harder to work on, and more expensive to repair. Big advantage with FI, is quicker throttle response - but unless you're at a racing level, or climbing hills dirt biking, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

And welcome to the bike club!
Posted By: funshooter Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Like was already said, if your reason to get a bike is to save money, don't, because you wont.
If you want a bike because you want to ride, then go for it.
I speak from experience here.

I agree with this
Been Riding for over 40 years

I will add
If you are using it to Commute and want to save drive time on the road then yes get a Bike.

Also I agree with taking a Class.

And if you are Commuting just remember no one sees you on a bike.
You are invisible or a target.
I drive like the biggest AHole on the road and that is why I am still walking upright.

When you travel at the speed of the traffic you blend in and no one sees you.

People ask me
Why Harley
I tell them
I have Custom Pipes so they can hear me coming
I play my Radio real loud so they can hear me coming.
And when I am on a Harley no one knows if I am a Biker or just a Shmo bike rider so they get out of my way.
I am not a Biker no Club for me.

Just always remember
NO ONE SEES YOU.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I always assume that the other drivers are wanting to kill me. Seems like some try.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Said no one ever.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
I always assume that the other drivers are wanting to kill me. Seems like some try.

I have had my share of those as well.
Throttle Speed is your friend some times over just Breaking

Got my big Dresser up to 140 one time trying to get away from some jerks jumping in front of me and slamming their breaks.

After the 3rd time it was on and the Rag Heads were taking video of me as I sped away from them.

Another time the freeway was almost empty and a guy pulled up next to me in a convertible sports car with a young kid in his car.
He wanted to play friendly like. So it was on and he gave me a big grin as he passed me doing 140.
My bike would not go any faster than that.

I told my Harley Dealer that they needed to put another gear in the transmission.

They did not look very happy after I told them that.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
If you understand how a carburetor works, they are fine. Fuel injection is better. Never run ethanol in a carburetor. I’m a Harley Davidson fan, but if a Japanese bike suits you, Honda would be my first pick. Cheaper is rarely better. Buy the nicest, newest, and lowest mileage bike you can afford. A smaller bike is fine for short commutes, but for longer rides, bigger is better.

I’m riding an 07 Harley Fat Boy now. It is a 96 ci twin cam engine with fuel injection and gets 50 mpg.

If you want a bike, get one. Do not buy one thinking it will save you money, though. Buy an economy car for that.
Posted By: benchman Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I'd look for an older BMW, or Honda ST1100-1300. The Honda isn't particularly low, but they are REALLY underrated. Your 275 pound boomdeeay could cruise at 125 all day! 75-80 and the bike isn't even breathing hard. Should be able to find either for around 4000.
Now let's have some fun. Let's provide some links to what we suggested.

https://www.cycletrader.com/Suzuki-Boulevard-S40/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Suzuki%7C2320128&model=BOULEVARD%7C764983006&trim=S40%7C75924
Posted By: johnn Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
For a first bike, make sure its big enough to haul you around.
You should be able to touch the ground with boh feet.

Weight of the bike is only important when it's not moving. Once yer rolling its not that big of a deal unless you plan to spend a bunch of time in congested traffic.

Been riding for nigh on 50 years. The only time I hurt myself (seriously) was kickstarting one, and that happened a month ago.

Carburetors been around a long time, I wouldn't let that deter me, however I grew up with them.

Get in the wind, have fun and good luck!
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
I wouldn’t worry too much about your buddys experience, I know guys that will have nothing but trouble out of a wheelbarrow!!
laffin’

Without knowing more about you and the environment you’re going to be spending most of your time on a motorcycle, my suggestion could be Neither!
I know around here it’s getting to where seasoned riders are taking a bigger chance everyday with some of these idiots on the road.
No offense, but you do sound pretty green at almost 40 yrs old. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

If you’re wanting a new or newer bike I wouldn’t let carburetors be a deal breaker.
Good fuel and clean oil, non ethanol is all I ever burn my bikes.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I wouldn’t worry too much about your buddys experience, I know guys that will have nothing but trouble out of a wheelbarrow!!
laffin’

When did we meet?
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
laffin’

When did we meet?

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Motorcycles - 03/14/24
My first Harley was a 1942 WW II surplus 45 cubic inch flathead- - - - -bought it for $50.00, rode it for a year, and sold it for a C-note. One of my dumber decisions, it you don't count the first marriage!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
The Honda Rebel 500 is another prospect. Modern fuel injected, fuel efficient, bullet proof motor. Low seat height and plenty of grunt.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Do a riding course like what Harley offers to get a feel for bikes and size requirements. The CC of the engine is less important than the size of the bike and suspension for your weight.

I prefer Indians as that's what I have. I commute on my bike as long as the weather allows. Small town traffic. Not interstate. I prefer a lighter bike that is easy to maneuver at slower speeds and better in parking lots, gas stations, etc. Interstate bikes need to be bigger and heavier.

Your weight is really going to be the biggest issue on any of the smaller bikes due to the suspension. You may be able to adjust them enough, but probably looking at upgraded forks and shocks.

Modern bikes are like modern cars/trucks. Fuel injected and a CPU mean you never have to adjust anything. Just get on it and ride. Until something goes wrong. Then they are harder to work on yourself and more expensive to get fixed. I'll take a modern fuel injected bike over the old carbs any day.

As far as saving money with a bike, it's a long term deal. I put at least half my work miles on the bike, which lowers the wear and tear and maintenance on my other vehicles. Takes a while to recoup the cost of the bike and gear though. For me it's more a tool for therapy. When I ride my bike I'm in a better mood when I get to work and a better mood when I get home.
Posted By: fester Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
I worked in the oilfield 40 years. The number 1 cause of death of my coworkers was motorcycle crashes.
Posted By: fester Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/enduro.html#4stroke

https://betausa.com/2024-dual-sport-models/
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Said no one ever.

Hahaha!

I have a bunch of bikes....but wouldn't mind a Evo harley.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Back in 19&66 I bought a '53 Shovel-Head got it running . Put a 3quarter cam -elderbrok manifold 650 holley double pumper hooker headers fastest thing on the road. The gov't seezed it -- too fast for the street -.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Current run to town/errand bike is a Yamaha TW200 and yes it has saved me money on fuel. A round trip to town costs maybe a dollar as compared to close to 10 in the truck… I’m more worried about deer and turkeys than cars.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Back in 19&66 I bought a '53 Shovel-Head got it running . Put a 3quarter cam -elderbrok manifold 650 holley double pumper hooker headers fastest thing on the road. The gov't seezed it -- too fast for the street -.

Can you spend a few minutes talking to my garden? I'll save a bundle on fertilizer!
Ironic.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Said no one ever.

Hahaha!

I have a bunch of bikes....but wouldn't mind a Evo harley.

I got one you need!!
What's your terms?
How much cash you got!?

whistle
That sounds a little like the one I’m trying to put Jim Conrad on to!! laugh
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
If you are looking for a first bike, get a used Suzuki SV-650
The one you built with the 357 Magnum Engine?
Posted By: softailrider Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
I have a 2000 Road King now. I've never had a fuel injected bike, never had a bike with a catalytic converter, never had a water-cooled bike. Carbs have worked out fine for me. You just feel better on a Harley is the only way I can describe it.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
I used to ride nearly every suitable day. My favorite long distance bike was a 2006 Kawasaki Concours. After riding all day, my buds on cruisers would have messed up lower backs. I never had back pain with the slightly forward posture on a sport tourer.
I've been bikeless for about five years now but find myself yearning to ride again. Wifey doesn't want to ride anymore so a smaller bike would be OK. I think a faired er650 Kawasaki Ninja with bags would be about perfect. A bike I never would have considered in the past due to underwhelming engine performance. But, now, I think it would offer a good balance of power vs weight.
Bought a 250 ninja just because it was a great deal. Figured I'd flip it right away and make a few bucks. I kept it for several years and actually enjoyed riding it to work frequently. 65+ mpg and 100mph with a good tailwind.
Bucket list bike is a Ducati 1098S. I would be content just sitting in the garage and looking at it.
Posted By: buntingmiester Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Motorcycle advise from 77yr. old rider,since 1968,and still riding.
Get yourself a 125cc enduro, and learn to ride it well.
Experience you gain from a smaller bike will serve you well, and won't intimidate.
Bonus is , if you wish to continue riding, you will have a great second ride, for the trails
short commutes, etc.
Best of luck, buntingmiester
I got a 107 EVO motor on it. It does have edelbrock heads with dual carbs on it tho. Basani headers, it tries to pass everything but a gas station. laugh laugh

It is pretty hard on tires tho frown
Posted By: pal Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by gregintenn
...If you want a bike, get one. Do not buy one thinking it will save you money, though. Buy an economy car for that.

Absolutely.

But if you want a bike, virtually anything with 650 cc displacement will be strong enough. Carbs are just fine.
Did that one have a high rise and a double pumper?
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Hey OP. If you want to go real fast get a Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa.

If you want to ride in comfort get a Harley FLHT. Either EVO, TC, or M8.

Tunnel Ram & 411 posi
Bitchin.
Posted By: johnn Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by kenoh2
I used to ride nearly every suitable day. My favorite long distance bike was a 2006 Kawasaki Concours. After riding all day, my buds on cruisers would have messed up lower backs. I never had back pain with the slightly forward posture on a sport tourer.

This is a fact.

Riding feet forward puts all your weight on your ass and gives you less control, especially if you have to maneuver quickly.

With your feet under you and bent slightly foward
You are more comfortable.

I have primarily ridden yerApeeing motorbikes, would go riding with friends on hogs and always stopped more often and wanted to slow down.

Harley has come along ways since the AMF days, but the lazee boy recliner position is best suited for the living room.
Posted By: Teal Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some [bleep]' muscle.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
If you are looking for super economical and cheap to ride, I'd recommend a 250 Nighthawk or something of the sort.

The CB250s are floating around all over cheap, because they used a bajillion of the things as training course bikes in the 90s and 2000s.

I picked up this 2002 in July of 2022 with 2,300 miles on it for $2k. Insurance is under $75 a year, and my 6'3" 250# ass averages right around 70mpg on my 60 mile work commute. A bad fillup is 67mpg, a good one is 73-74.

Single carb, minimal electrical system, drum brakes...total piece of cake to maintain. It won't get you anywhere in a big hurry, but it will get you there really cheaply.

Just made my first ride to work of the year Tuesday.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
If 3500 bucks, low seat height, simple and 75 mph are the parameters the Suzuki Boulevard S40 is what you want
My younger son bought one of these as a first bike. I really liked it for what it was. I thought about buying it from him and keeping it. I can’t think of a better first bike. That one cylinder engine is almost bulletproof. It didn’t have much too end power, but had a surprising amount of low end torque.

He sold it and bought a 1200 Sportster. A similar looking bike with twice the engine.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
The 650 Savage was renamed the boulevard. Parts are interchangeable. Good first bike. Weight will limit top in speed. Big rig turbulence will move you around in your lane. You can work on it easily. Easy to pick up if it falls over.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Got back into motorcycles 10 years ago after a 40 year absence and bought/rode four different kinds and sizes over this last decade. My inseam is also 30 inches although my weight is less than yours. Summarizing the best advice given so far and adding a bit - in my opinion and my experience:

Avoid the cruiser style and clipped handlebar racing styles for reasons given - back problems and they are not as maneuverable. An upright normal seating position allows better visibility and especially maneuverability and will serve your commuting needs better in the long run. Power and acceleration is good but maneuverability and stopping power IMO is equally as important in avoiding dangerous situations.

Any motorcyclist can get into an accident but the two kinds of motorcycles that get in the most accidents are super sports and big cruisers - the super sports because dumb 19-20 year old immortals ride them and heavy cruisers because they can't get out of the way or stop as quickly as a lighter, more maneuverable motorcycle.

A motorcycle with a seat height of 31-32 inches will work okay. Remember that your weight will push the bike down a bit. Seat width will also be a factor but it's kind of a trade off - a narrower seat will let your legs reach further but is less comfortable for longer rides. Just have to sit on various ones and let your butt tell you which one it likes.

650-750 cc is the sweet spot for power, weight and top end. A 650 street bike will let you cruise the highway at 75-80 mph all day with some excess speed when needed.

You can go bigger but then you go heavier and you can go smaller but then you limit your power. Had a little Suzuki TU250X and it was a really fun, super maneuverable motorcycle but absolute top end with the throttle wide open was 75 on a level road with a tailwind and it couldn't maintain 55 mph on a long uphill.

Carburetors are okay but why not go fuel injected, it's just easier all around.

You'll probably be happiest and safest with a twin cylinder street or regular sport (not super sport), 31-32" seat height, 650 cc or thereabouts. "Adventure" bikes are okay but tend to be 2-3" taller. $3500 these days might get you into a good used motorcycle but I'd recommend expanding that budget by at least another $1,000.

Fwiw, of the four motorcycles I bought - Honda CB500X Adventure bike, Yamaha TW200 Dual Sport, Yamaha FZ-07 and Suzuki TU250X, the best of the bunch was the Yamaha FZ-07 now labeled MT-07. It had good low end torque meaning it accelerated well even at lower rpms, 80mph cruising wasn't even pushing it hard although wind buffeting gets kind of bad at that speed, seat height of 31.7" and highly maneuverable - it hit a lot of buttons and was all around a magnificent machine.

Something like that might be a little much for a beginner but it was an easy motorcycle to ride and as your skill advanced you wouldn't outgrow it soon.

TAKE A MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE!

Again, all this just IMO and IME.

As a final word, cars will kill you through negligence but the only people that deliberately tried to kill me were kids on super sports that saw other motorcycles on the road as challenges that had to be met with the stupidest, most dangerous "in your face" stunts imaginable.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
The most Danger for motorcycles riders are auto drivers on CELLPHONES !!! For trouble free riding, buy a Honda or Yamaha !!!
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
If you are late 30's and know nothing about motorcycles I suggest you reconsider buying one.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
If you understand how a carburetor works, they are fine. Fuel injection is better. Never run ethanol in a carburetor. I’m a Harley Davidson fan, but if a Japanese bike suits you, Honda would be my first pick. Cheaper is rarely better. Buy the nicest, newest, and lowest mileage bike you can afford. A smaller bike is fine for short commutes, but for longer rides, bigger is better.

I’m riding an 07 Harley Fat Boy now. It is a 96 ci twin cam engine with fuel injection and gets 50 mpg.

If you want a bike, get one. Do not buy one thinking it will save you money, though. Buy an economy car for that.
Just one thing you said that should change.. Never run ethanol - EVER... I won't put that crap in any bike (or other machine) I own; the exception is the wife's car - but that's another matter...

Every bike I've owned has never had ethanol gas in the tank.. Eff that chit..

I've had several bikes over the last 55+years; Suzuki (2, one trail bike of 125 ccs, the other a GS1100L), Kawasaki (2 Voyager 1300s), Harley's (7) all the way from Sportster to the Ultra Classic and now a Trike.. They've all been trouble-free... I think I replaced a $2 switch on the bars of one of the Voyagers once, but that's all.. My current '14 HD Ultra Classic just turned 55K on the odometer and I've changed one set of brakes, one drive belt and a couple of tires; just maintenance..

A lot of good advice on posts above.. smile
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Take a motorcycle safety course. Get the fundamentals down on a gutless 250, when you get to the point where you can easily dodge your evil attackers (they're everywhere) by good fundamentals in BRAKING and CORNERING, then it's time to think about power. Honestly, any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast, turning fast and STOPPING fast are much more difficult. So go gutless until you've gotten your reflexes wired in. Not before. Best option for fundamentals is to ride the crud out of a nice DIRT BIKE in gravel pits and on trails. Just no substitute for building muscle memory. And, once you get good, you won't CARE about the seat height because your body will tell you which foot to put down when you stop. It'll be easy and automatic to you.

Riding position: You're "secure" on a low-seat cruiser, but your butt (and arms) will hate you after about 45 minutes. The best riding position or set-up is "standard" -- and it's a standard for a reason. That's where I'd be to begin.
Your butt will also like a bench seat rather than a saddle or bucket seat. If you can squirm around, you'll be happier.
My preference is "superbike" with bars lower than "standard" for better wind compensation, but just as wide as standard for leverage when it counts. I have custom "mild rearsets" footpegs that are two inches back and an inch higher than "standard" and that puts my feet under my center of gravity. I could ride all darn day on some of the wildest crooked roads in the West, 300 miles and while I'd be tired, I was never "sore."

With that said, if you gotta have, get a standardish bike from 400 twin up to maybe 750 four. If you need to, find a bike shop that can set up your suspension front and rear with the right spring and gas settings, you don't want to ride bottomed out or topped out, but in the nice middle of your suspension travel.

Finally, don't ride naked, ever. Get a seriously good and comfy helmet, full face or dirt with chin and face protection, good flip visor (kept spotless) or quality goggles (spotless, you need to SEE). Wear the heaviest pants you can stand, or better yet, leather with suspenders. Or ballistic cloth. Real boots with ankle protection, something you could hike over rocks with. Evil attackers are everywhere, from every angle, any place. Oh, and don't EVER wear black gear. That's the stupidest thing about motorcycling, especially on a BLACK night on BLACK tarmac, in BLACK rain? Are you kidding me? A discreet amount of Scotchlight is your best friend.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Thanks guys, a lot of food for thought. One thing that keeps coming up that surprises me. Seems like a lot of people mentioned cars being an enemy. I get it as far as idiots on phones, but people mad simply for no reason other than you are on a bike? What am I missing? I have never had animosity towards someone just because they are riding a cycle
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Thanks guys, a lot of food for thought. One thing that keeps coming up that surprises me. Seems like a lot of people mentioned cars being an enemy. I get it as far as idiots on phones, but people mad simply for no reason other than you are on a bike? What am I missing? I have never had animosity towards someone just because they are riding a cycle

It's not that they hate you - it's that they simply don't "see" you and make stupid decisions that kill you. Like merge into you as you're next to them. Turn left in front of you (lady did that to me, I hit her passenger door doing 20mph - a week later the same exact lady ran me off the road 5 miles away).

It's not malicious but incompetent.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Got my first bike when I was 6. Had at least one ever since until 2 years ago or so. Jumped on my KLR 650 to run to walmart. Some teenage girl on her phone pulled out in front of me and never saw me. About got killed running to get some yogurt. Sold it maybe 2 weeks later. When I retire and move to the mountains I may get another, or may not. Don't miss it as much as I thought.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
I rode for years with Motorcycle Cops, watched and learned, they drive aggressively, but smart too, they didn’t put them selves in stupid places, they saw every rock, board, brick, and worst of all sand on curves, I’m very aggressive by nature but I learned to temper it, they all drove Harley’s and loud as hell, they wanted all the loud radio crowd to know they were there.
Originally Posted by blairvt
Got my first bike when I was 6. Had at least one ever since until 2 years ago or so. Jumped on my KLR 650 to run to walmart. Some teenage girl on her phone pulled out in front of me and never saw me. About got killed running to get some yogurt. Sold it maybe 2 weeks later. When I retire and move to the mountains I may get another, or may not. Don't miss it as much as I thought.

Sold mine almost 2 years ago too. I don't miss it except for that first 70 degree day after winter/spring.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
The suggestions for taking a basic riding course are very good ones. I’m 50 and have ridden since I was big enough. I took a class with one of my kids a couple of years back. I learned several things I didn’t know, and it definitely made me a better and more comfortable rider. It’s also fun riding those little bikes around a track and through the little figure 8s. Definitely worth the time and money!
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by Redneck

Just one thing you said that should change.. Never run ethanol - EVER... I won't put that crap in any bike (or other machine) I own; the exception is the wife's car - but that's another matter...

Every bike I've owned has never had ethanol gas in the tank.. Eff that chit..

I've had several bikes over the last 55+years; Suzuki (2, one trail bike of 125 ccs, the other a GS1100L), Kawasaki (2 Voyager 1300s), Harley's (7) all the way from Sportster to the Ultra Classic and now a Trike.. They've all been trouble-free... I think I replaced a $2 switch on the bars of one of the Voyagers once, but that's all.. My current '14 HD Ultra Classic just turned 55K on the odometer and I've changed one set of brakes, one drive belt and a couple of tires; just maintenance..

A lot of good advice on posts above.. smile

If you do have to run ethanol blend, Startron is a lifesaver. It'll save you the usual ethanol small engine headaches; worth every penny.

There's not a straight gas pump within 40 miles of my place, so everything except the work beater gets dosed with ST religiously.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Jevyod, If I had to write a letter to my 30 year old self, it would say don't keep buying all those ever larger, faster, more expensive motorcycles. I have driven motorcycles since the 60's and has been mentioned, had way too many close calls with cars, dogs, cows, deer, rain on oil slick roads, black ice, gravel and wet leaves. Honestly I'd been money ahead to have driven an economy car and been a heck of a lot safer and more comfortable on the road with a heater, ac and a radio plus I could actually take stuff or a person or two with me. People haven't seen a motorcycle up here in the north since October and they aren't expecting to see one now either. Bikes are dangerous enough during daylight and a deathtrap after dark. People judge distance by the distance between the headlights and make that one headlight coming fast and they pull out in front of you. Nope, 70 degrees feels nice when you are out walking, but at 70 mph wind chill happens. You will catch every cold that comes along to say nothing about hitting bugs, birds and getting sand blasted when the car or truck in front of you hits the gravel. They arrest people here for going over 70 mph so there is no reason to get a huge motorcycle. In fact I had way more fun zipping around town on my old Honda CB160 or 305 Super Hawk than I ever did out out on the highway with my larger Triumph or Harley. If you must get one, some good advice earlier about getting a dual sport medium size bike that you can license for the street around town and ride on the trails too. Depending on what kind of job you have, riding a motorcycle into work won't be as socially acceptable as arriving in a car. Bosses look at that kind of stuff and rightly or wrongly motorcycle riders do not project the best image.

As to being mad at a biker, yup it happens and I am/was a biker. The street where we'd winter was 35 mph with a stop light. On any day or night you could hear those big bikes leave that light and go through the gears with those engines just screaming up to at least 2x the speed limit. Or driving between two lanes of cars to get up to the head of the line. Or passing you on the interstate at three numbers. That does not endear one to the general populous.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Yep. Do a safety course, and California Super bike as well….

Saving money… 🤣

Ride with a friend or two or by yourself but always look out for the cagers (car drivers).

I sold my BMW K1300S not long before Christmas, after I get my knees done I will get an adventure bike of some sort.

Loved the K bike but my joints don’t anymore.

Most of all. Have fun.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
I'll add to look into the can am ryker. It's that 3 wheeled deal for around $12K and you can't fall off it.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
I am in my upper 30s and looking to get a motorcycle. I know very little about them, but know some are fuel injected while some have carburators. That is part of my question. I have a buddy that had a dual carb bike and he said it was nothing but problems. Said he would never get another. Is that true of all dual carb bikes? Can a person run ethenol free to help the issues? The problem I see is most cheap motorcycles (under 3500) are dual carb systems. I am basically wanting a cycle to ride to work when I can as my trailblazer sucks on gas mileage.
Another question I have, I am short and heavy.. Will a 650-750 cc cruiser style bike get a 275 lb person up to 75 easily? Along with that, my inseam is only 30 inches. Any way to tell what seat height I should be getting? I know, really newbie questions. But figure at least some of you guys have insight!
BTW the 2 main bikes that I keep seeing on marketplace that are cheaper are Kawasaki Vulcans and Yamaha v-syar. Any reason to choose one over the other? Thanks!

The only real motorcycles are Harleys, but inferring from your post you are on a budget, the Japanese machines can be very nice. Any bike 500cc or more will achieve the speed you want. All newer Harleys are fuel injected, but if you buy a cheaper brand, you will have to ask. In the "old" days, I ran carbureted machines 1000cc and 1100cc for years with very good reliability. But you can't let them sit or the carburetors will gum up.

Other divers do not look for or see motorcycles, and dont think twice about pulling out in front of one. Probably the most car / bike accidents are from that alone.

Changing lanes is another one, stay out of the blind spot.

Defensive driving is the key, eye contact, which ways the wheels pointing are that quickly looking back and forth and edging forward.

Defensive driving is always important, it will keep you alive on a bike, my mantra for the last 50 years has been "ride as if you are invisible" it has worked for me so far.
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

The only real motorcycles are Harleys, but inferring from your post you are on a budget, the Japanese machines can be very nice. Any bike 500cc or more will achieve the speed you want. All newer Harleys are fuel injected, but if you buy a cheaper brand, you will have to ask. In the "old" days, I ran carbureted machines 1000cc and 1100cc for years with very good reliability. But you can't let them sit or the carburetors will gum up.

haha, whatta jokester.... laffin
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Harley Davidson is a Chinese bike now. Just saying.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

LOL. Okay Boomer.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
That reminds me, as part of the Rider's Education you'll need to learn The Wave and who to wave to.

Don't wave to scooter riders, it confuses them.

You can wave to sport/super sport riders, adventure bike riders, commuters and old guys on Gold Wings with their wives/girlfriends on the back. On the Gold Wings generally the female passenger will be the one to wave back.

You can wave to someone hard over in a corner or accelerating hard but don't be offended if they don't wave back, it generally takes both hands and both feet to operate a motorcycle so their left hand may be occupied with the clutch.

You can wave to Harley riders if you want to but very few if any will wave back, their disdain for everybody else is too great.

Besides the wave which can come in many forms, if a passing rider pats the top of his helmet it means there is a radar cop ahead.
Always carry a pistol and don't be afraid to use it !!!
Posted By: TwoTall Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
I have a Can-am spider. We love it. Reminds me a little bit of the snowmobiling days. Super comfortable, I never fit on a two wheeler, tons of storage for the Wife. Bluetooth. Don’t worry about sand on the turns. 1300 cc. I’ve caught her napping.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Motorcycles - 03/15/24
Take an MSF course.

Sit on as many different styles so you can see what feels right to you. Your inseam length and weight will factor greatly into what you find comfortable. When ready, buy the newest/cleanest/best-maintained bike you can afford. Try to buy from a 'motorcycle guy", you'll know them when you talk to them. Being garage-kept is a much bigger deal with bikes, so focus on those. Most ~650cc class twin-cylinder bikes will have the grunt you'll want. You'll likely have to modify/upgrade the suspension on anything you buy if you want it to work as intended.
Posted By: DMc Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Whoa. Wasn't aware. When did this happen?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Current run to town/errand bike is a Yamaha TW200 and yes it has saved me money on fuel. A round trip to town costs maybe a dollar as compared to close to 10 in the truck… I’m more worried about deer and turkeys than cars.

Deer are one of the biggest things that keep me off bikes.

Some states have nice big right of ways, mow big strips between the road and the trees.

Farmers here have corn 3 foot from the line, the trees might be 4 foot off the line.
Two friends have lost their dads to deer bike collisions.
Both were knocked off the bike by the deer, they didn't hit them.
One guy was riding a Harley Trike with his wife. The deer stripped him off, never touched the wife. She coasted to a stop, he died a couple days later.

Cars are relatively easy to deal with, big, easy to see, tend to have paths of travel.
Bikers who have a lot of trouble with cars are likely the problem.
Hot dogging or not paying attention.

Deer appear out of nowhere.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
DM ever wonder why your stealership has a parts area that you can't actually see? So the Moco won't have you seeing all the parts labeled Made in China in a genuine HD wrapper. Or Germany Mexico pakistan...
Posted By: gunzo Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Thought OP was talkin about a $4000 scooter. That's hardly a currently made, questionable heritage $25,000 H/D. Otherwise, about a thousand choices.
Posted By: pappabear Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
I've rode for over 57 years and NEVER EVER had a reason to pull my gun and use it
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
I've rode for over 57 years and NEVER EVER had a reason to pull my gun and use it

That doesn't sound right, I mean, I've watched SoA three times. Guns before gas, or something like that.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Jevyod: DON'T!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
My younger son bought one of these as a first bike. I really liked it for what it was. I thought about buying it from him and keeping it. I can’t think of a better first bike. That one cylinder engine is almost bulletproof. It didn’t have much too end power, but had a surprising amount of low end torque.

He sold it and bought a 1200 Sportster. A similar looking bike with twice the engine.

They have remained relatively unchanged for 30 years. Parts are everywhere and cheap should the need arise. Not a lot to mess up in a tip over. A lot going for them for someone who wants an inexpensive cruiser for a first bike.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by DMc
They aren’t made in China. There are plants on Brazil and India that I know of. But bikes sold in the us are primarily built in Pennsylvania.
Posted By: johnn Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by DMc
They aren’t made in China. There are plants on Brazil and India that I know of. But bikes sold in the us are primarily built in Pennsylvania.

They outsource parts form all over the world, just like everybody else..... dont make it right.......... IMO
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by DMc

They outsource parts form all over the world, just like everybody else..... dont make it right.......... IMO
That doesn’t make them a Chinese bike.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

That doesn't sound right, I mean, I've watched SoA three times. Guns before gas, or something like that.
Maybe he doesn't want to admit that he's busted- off a few rounds at butthole drivers. Whatever----...
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Get yourself one of those little Honda 125, that replaced the trail 90. Good mileage, since your trying to save money, and don't take the freeway! Plus you can use it in the woods. You will be the envy of the neighborhood!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
About it.

everybody gotta start somewhere.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Get a Honda. Civic. After 25 years of being a LEO there’s no way in hell I’d get a motorcycle. Especially for a daily commute. It’s frightening enough being on the road with all the retards in a pursuit rated Chevrolet Tahoe let alone on two wheels with no protection. You can be the best rider on the planet and that doesn’t matter when some purple haired twenty some year old them with enough tackle in her face to make Bass Pro shop envy, wipes your ass out looking at Tik Tok.
Posted By: fester Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by brinky72
Get a Honda. Civic. After 25 years of being a LEO there’s no way in hell I’d get a motorcycle. Especially for a daily commute. It’s frightening enough being on the road with all the retards in a pursuit rated Chevrolet Tahoe let alone on two wheels with no protection. You can be the best rider on the planet and that doesn’t matter when some purple haired twenty some year old them with enough tackle in her face to make Bass Pro shop envy, wipes your ass out looking at Tik Tok.
Exactly why 99% of my time is off road these days.
Just not worth it anymore.
+1000 on the gear. Get good gear, you will never
regret it when you need it.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by DMc

Powertrain: Menomonee Falls WI

Fairings, Bags, Tourpak: Tomahawk WI

Vehicle Assembly: York PA

Some markets like Brazil require major component assemblies be assembled into complete bike to avoid import tariff.

India was the Street 750 models, gone now. Thailand is in the loop for the tariff thing.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
That's timely.

I just sold my Suzuki 250 last summer and bought a Honda Civic. wink
Posted By: johnn Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24

Or some 80 year old blue hair.!
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by DMc

Powertrain: Menomonee Falls WI

Fairings, Bags, Tourpak: Tomahawk WI

Vehicle Assembly: York PA

Some markets like Brazil require major component assemblies be assembled into complete bike to avoid import tariff.

India was the Street 750 models, gone now. Thailand is in the loop for the tariff thing.

I believe H-D makes a 350cc and 500cc bike in China, mostly for Asian markets.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by buntingmiester
Motorcycle advise from 77yr. old rider,since 1968,and still riding.
Get yourself a 125cc enduro, and learn to ride it well.
Experience you gain from a smaller bike will serve you well, and won't intimidate.
Bonus is , if you wish to continue riding, you will have a great second ride, for the trails
short commutes, etc.
Best of luck, buntingmiester
Top-notch advice, right there..
Posted By: Redneck Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Oh oh, now ya done it.... Hexed yerself! Your 58th year might be the time you run out of your good luck.. I pray not..

Also depends on where in the country a rider finds themselves..

After 56 years on two wheels, I've only carried the last fifteen or so, due to the rising crime (along with road rage) that's seeping into our area from the Twin Chitties. I gotta have something more than just a knoife with me when I ride.. Still working on designing a mount on the Harley for the Ma Deuce.. laugh laugh
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Motorcycles - 03/16/24
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Motorcycles - 03/17/24
Make sure you know where the best orthopedic surgeons are because sooner or later you will be on first name basis with one.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Motorcycles - 03/17/24
Welp, I've always said living ain't for the faint of heart. Some people are guided by fear. Others aren't. If you want a bike, get it. Learn to ride safely. Be careful. You'll be like the vast majority of us you ride for a lifetime without any ill effect.
Or, let fear be your guide. Your choice.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Motorcycles - 03/17/24
I just had open heart surgery, was on another thread about it, home now and recovering. I just ordered a Bull riding vest, to work cattle because of being kicked in chest, and to get on my Harley and go this summer, I told my Surgeon I’m not going to back off my life style or having fun, I don’t understand giving stuff up in life stuff you enjoy because of safety . Getting old doesn’t mean squat, go for it ! Also thank you men from the bottom of my heart for your prayers!!!!
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Motorcycles - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Welp, I've always said living ain't for the faint of heart. Some people are guided by fear. Others aren't. If you want a bike, get it. Learn to ride safely. Be careful. You'll be like the vast majority of us you ride for a lifetime without any ill effect.
Or, let fear be your guide. Your choice.

I rode for well over 40 years. I rode safely and was careful and fear was never my guide. Then one day an old lady ran a red light and hit me from behind permanently screwing up my right shoulder.
In this day and age with distracted drivers and their cell phones riding a bike is playing Russian roulette.
Yes, I miss it.
© 24hourcampfire