Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#19299335 03/14/24
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am in my upper 30s and looking to get a motorcycle. I know very little about them, but know some are fuel injected while some have carburators. That is part of my question. I have a buddy that had a dual carb bike and he said it was nothing but problems. Said he would never get another. Is that true of all dual carb bikes? Can a person run ethenol free to help the issues? The problem I see is most cheap motorcycles (under 3500) are dual carb systems. I am basically wanting a cycle to ride to work when I can as my trailblazer sucks on gas mileage.
Another question I have, I am short and heavy.. Will a 650-750 cc cruiser style bike get a 275 lb person up to 75 easily? Along with that, my inseam is only 30 inches. Any way to tell what seat height I should be getting? I know, really newbie questions. But figure at least some of you guys have insight!
BTW the 2 main bikes that I keep seeing on marketplace that are cheaper are Kawasaki Vulcans and Yamaha v-syar. Any reason to choose one over the other? Thanks!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out YouTube video's and whatever bike your interested in there will be video's about it.
It's a rabbit whole to go down for sure and checkout the motorcycle crash videos and learn how not to ride.Like the Molly Hatchet song says "flirting with disaster ain't for everybody".
Good Luck

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Find a late 1990s Harley soft tail- - - -1300 CC engine, single carburetor, and none of the bells and whistles that make more "modern" bikes a PITA to keep in tune. The EVO V twin was the best engine Harley ever made. Mine has 88K miles, and has no mechanical issues whatsoever- - - -doesn't even leak oil! It's also got enough torque to keep your fat azz from getting left behind on the highway, and it sits pretty low to the ground. My 97 soft tail gets 20+ MPG and has all the power any sane person would want. 80+ MPH is just a throttle twist away anytime I want. I'm 6'1" and 240. I've been riding various bikes off and on since 1958. There are Harley riders- - - -and guys who want to be Harley riders.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is $3500 your target price range?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Find a late 1990s Harley soft tail- - - -1300 CC engine, single carburetor, and none of the bells and whistles that make more "modern" bikes a PITA to keep in tune. The EVO V twin was the best engine Harley ever made. Mine has 88K miles, and has no mechanical issues whatsoever- - - -doesn't even leak oil! It's also got enough torque to keep your fat azz from getting left behind on the highway, and it sits pretty low to the ground. My 97 soft tail gets 20+ MPG and has all the power any sane person would want. 80+ MPH is just a throttle twist away anytime I want. I'm 6'1" and 240. I've been riding various bikes off and on since 1958. There are Harley riders- - - -and guys who want to be Harley riders.
I also ran an EVO for about a bazillion miles but mine was fuel injected. Bike was practically trouble free.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had 3 separate FI Harleys - never a single issue. EVER over 2 separate engine architectures. Fuel mileage was usually in the 40+ mpg range and I like to hear the Rinehart's bark. Last Road Glide would see highway speeds well before the rev limiter in 2nd gear/ going to 3rd.

Some older carb Evo's in the family. Mostly trouble free. Get the traditional potato-potato-potato sound with them but power wise, complete dog compared to the new bikes.

That said to the OP - what you're looking at is ok and likely easily found in that price range. As to seat height, you really have to sit on them. IE - my mother's 4'11" and she ride a Road King - low seat but you'd never guess it looking at her.

The issue with dual carbs is usually synchronization which takes some tools/thought - IME.

Buy something cheap as there are 2 types of riders, those that have crashed and those that will. Used/older - you won't worry so much. Build skills. Parking lots on weekends are great for that.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always cracks me up when someone buys a motorcycle to “save money” as I did long ago grin

First figure in the cost of riding gear, gloves, boots helmet and possibly rain gear and saddlebags. Expect to need 15 minutes extra time out the door and again back home changing in/out of riding gear, packing/unpacking stuff stashed in saddlebags/bunnies to seat.

How long is your commute? A low seat “cruiser” style of motorcycle like the ones you mentioned are good for beginners and short people but the feet-forward/sit down riding position can be hard on the butt/lower back on longer rides.

Any 650 and up bikes should have useful acceleration up to at least 80 and be able to cruise at 75 all day long.

Good luck, my “motorcycle to save money” became five consecutive motorcycles over 12 years and 250,000 miles. Can’t save they saved me much money tho 🙂

All mine had carbs, but fuel injection is mo’ better IMHO

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If 3500 bucks, low seat height, simple and 75 mph are the parameters the Suzuki Boulevard S40 is what you want

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You only live once.Find you a Yamaha RD400 or Daytona Special…

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Is $3500 your target price range?
Yes it is

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I prefer carburetors.

We have a V Star. It's a nice bike.

The 1100 will tote you fine.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had them all and Harley was the best.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a V-Star 650 and it sets plenty low for a short person. I won't say it will cruise 75 all day or keep up with Interstate traffic but it will cruise nicely at 65 mph. It depends on where you want to cruise to. The 1100 V-Star will suit you just fine if you want to cruise Interstate traffic.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m on my forth Harley, ride a 14 trike now both knees replaced, I will ride until the day I can’t climb on. Greatest freedom in life.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
For your safety and others, the first thing you need to do is get enrolled in a MC safety course!

Last edited by pappabear; 03/14/24.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Like was already said, if your reason to get a bike is to save money, don't, because you wont.
If you want a bike because you want to ride, then go for it.
I speak from experience here.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pappabear
For your safety and others, the first thing you need to do is get enrolled in a MC safety course!

100% agree and worth every penny and every second on the MC course. The training is legit and will probably save your life.

Second, there is no replacement for displacement. I'd get at least a 1100cc bike. One of your defensive driving options on a motorcycle is accelerating away from danger. A big dude on a little bike eliminates that escape option.

Nothing wrong with carburetors. I've had bikes with 4 carbs, one for each cylinder. Your buddy needs to learn how to tune them, or have it done by a bike shop. Fuel injected is really nice and reduces the tuning required, but adds $$$ to the purchase cost. FI bikes are also harder to work on, and more expensive to repair. Big advantage with FI, is quicker throttle response - but unless you're at a racing level, or climbing hills dirt biking, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

And welcome to the bike club!

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 03/14/24.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Like was already said, if your reason to get a bike is to save money, don't, because you wont.
If you want a bike because you want to ride, then go for it.
I speak from experience here.

I agree with this
Been Riding for over 40 years

I will add
If you are using it to Commute and want to save drive time on the road then yes get a Bike.

Also I agree with taking a Class.

And if you are Commuting just remember no one sees you on a bike.
You are invisible or a target.
I drive like the biggest AHole on the road and that is why I am still walking upright.

When you travel at the speed of the traffic you blend in and no one sees you.

People ask me
Why Harley
I tell them
I have Custom Pipes so they can hear me coming
I play my Radio real loud so they can hear me coming.
And when I am on a Harley no one knows if I am a Biker or just a Shmo bike rider so they get out of my way.
I am not a Biker no Club for me.

Just always remember
NO ONE SEES YOU.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always assume that the other drivers are wanting to kill me. Seems like some try.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I had them all and Harley was the best.
Said no one ever.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.