Home
Posted By: Steve Caught in a scam - 03/25/24
Got a call purportedly by ATT. Said someone had added services in Pennsylvania. Seemed legit. Then they asked for my passcode to verify. Gave it to them and an 'oh-no' second later realized what I had done. Hung up on them and called ATT. Had to wait for a call back due to a 45 minute wait.

Got home and saw an email that my password had been changed. Fuuuuu....

Anyway got a call back from ATT and got everything changed and verified that there had been no account changes other than the passcode and password.

Biggest problem is that the wife over heard this and is now muttering about how we are going to lose our bank account and retirement.

Oh well, not a bad time to change passwords.
Posted By: rong Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Seems like everything is a scam today.
Just received an email from Amazon that my account was "on hold"

Hope no damage was done.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Open a savings account on another bank. Never share the info.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by rong

Hope no damage was done.
Get them all the time. Delete them! A good bank will call you if something is fishy.
Posted By: TheSOB Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Got a call today, supposedly from Verizon today. They hung up after my third cuss word at them.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
I came uncomfortably close, one or 2 clicks away, to loosing $825 for a shotgun on a reputable site. Not their fault, but freakin scammers are becoming more of a threat every day.

If new & improved measures aren't put in place, it's gonna be impossible to do business on line........ Yet that's what they want all of us to do.

On line,,,, paperless,,,, convenience,,, ya, ya ,ya.
Posted By: Steve Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Originally Posted by rong

Hope no damage was done.
Get them all the time. Delete them! A good bank will call you if something is fishy.

Our bank's really good about contacting us. Had my debit card compromised a while back. Had it on hold and then canceled in about 15 minutes after the transaction attempts.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Might be bad behavior, but when an apparent female red dot calls I ask if she has purple nipples.

If she pauses I'll ask her again if she has purple nipples and a hairy box. Phone call disconnects then.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
I never answer phone calls from unknown callers, never!
I get multiple e mails weekly saying my account has been put on hold, please call this number, or similar. I delete all of them.
Posted By: DHN Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Last week I got a call from "medicare", wanting to verify my ID number. Notified Medicare right away, gave them the number the call supposedly originated,, haven't heard anything yet.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Idiot. Don’t give anyone your personal or password info.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

GFY
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Steve

GFY
I see you fugked up your banking security too. Damn idiot.
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Same here . never answer an unknown number. If its important they 'll leave a message and I'll decide after that
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Not good
Usually that's my MOS, too. However the phone told me it was a 'valid' number. Won't be doing that again.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Might be bad behavior, but when an apparent female red dot calls I ask if she has purple nipples. If she pauses I'll ask her again if she has purple nipples and a hairy box. Phone call disconnects then.

I love messing with those dothead gals- - - - -asking if they prefer phugging their father or their brother usually gets a quick hangup.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Ya ever get a call from ur own number I have
Posted By: 54Woody Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
A common scam these days (my elderly uncle was a victim and they tried it on my son), caller says he is with your bank’s security department and their review shows your account may have been hacked. Some employee at your local branch is involved so only deal with us. They offer to reset your password and add security with help from Microsoft.
Of course the MS help is to add remote access to your PC. Now they have access to your PC and online banking.
The scam has a few variations but always is based on the story of you already being a victim and they can help. Fear and isolation is the approach. My uncle’s bank noticed unusual online activity and froze the account then notified adult protection services who notified me. My uncle was so scared that his phone and home were under surveillance that it took three days for me to get him to explain the whole situation and convince him “Nancy” was a crook and not with his bank.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
My wife's bankcard got a fraud alert today. Some Arab sounding joker called and.said he was from our banks fraud department and that someone just charged 500 for American Airline.tickets. I told her to hang up it is a scam. I said give me your debit card I am headed to the bank.Ahab the Arab called back and asked why she hung up. She asked what bank are you calling about and he named Bank of Cyprus. Not our bank, I told her to hang up before he steals the.info out of your phone. She did. I went to the bank 2 minutes away and told them to cancel the.card and.check for fraud. There was no 500 dollar charge attempted but Ahab tried 27.34 and was caught. Nothing was stolen. They issued a new card and pin and password in about 30 minutes. I would never have fallen for it. I told my wife never respond to a text. Call the actual institution and deal with them. Every minute you spend on the.line with a.scammer is that much more they can take. Don't respond and don't talk to them.

GFY
I see you fugked up your banking security too. Damn idiot.

GFY^2
Posted By: reivertom Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Got a call purportedly by ATT. Said someone had added services in Pennsylvania. Seemed legit. Then they asked for my passcode to verify. Gave it to them and an 'oh-no' second later realized what I had done. Hung up on them and called ATT. Had to wait for a call back due to a 45 minute wait.

Anyway got a call back from ATT and got everything changed and verified that there had been no account changes other than the passcode and password.

Biggest problem is that the wife over heard this and is now muttering about how we are going to lose our bank account and retirement.

I assume if they call me, text me or Email me for anything, it's a scammer scumbag. I then verify by contacting the party with a known number.
Posted By: 160user Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Might be bad behavior, but when an apparent female red dot calls I ask if she has purple nipples.

If she pauses I'll ask her again if she has purple nipples and a hairy box. Phone call disconnects then.

Jerk! I just sprayed GOOD whiskey all over my computer. smile
99.99% of the time I do too. It's the .01% time that's a problem.

It was the phone lying to me that it was a 'valid' number that made me bite.

Lesson learned.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24

lolololololol
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Nobody calls.

And if they do, I don't answer.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Good grief. Companies do not call you for information they already have.
If a call is not from your saved contacts, do not answer it in the first place. They will leave a voice mail if important. You then have plenty of time to listen and respond without doing something stupid.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Good grief. Companies do not call you for information they already have.
If a call is not from your saved contacts, do not answer it in the first place. They will leave a voice mail if important. You then have plenty of time to listen and respond without doing something stupid.

Well stated. It’s not complicated.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Friend of mine got scammed on Craiglist a couple of weeks ago trying to rent a house
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Be nice if a new leader could somehow arrange to cut off India from communicating with USA. Then charge them a huge ransom to get probationary connection status.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
I use password "Password1234" on everything...

It is very secret... so don't tell anyone.
Posted By: johnn Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
We are all victims of our desire for convenience.
Posted By: johnn Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24

Lol, if its a female, I always ask what are they wearing?
Posted By: RHOD Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Same here . never answer an unknown number. If its important they 'll leave a message and I'll decide after that

Yep. And don’t call the number call the number they tell you on the phone. Look up the number for customer service for the company and call that number to make sure you are actually talking to the company.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Ya ever get a call from ur own number I have
Yep
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
My credit card number was being used by someone else....lots of tools at home depot.

The credit card company ate the losses and sent me a new card....but they would not answer any questions, as they are at war and secretive.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Yeah but our government has bigger problems to focus on, like convincing young people to mutilate themselves and end their lineage.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
I can't walk out...
Posted By: las Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
I wonder if "hairy nipples and purple box" will work?

Better not. Probably hook you up with that homo site.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Originally Posted by CashisKing

I just logged onto your 24hrcampfire account and posted bad things about Oregon.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
This is what I do as well. Then I block the number if they don't leave a message. Doesn't stop them forever but it shuts the down that attempt.
I don't do business over the phone and I if I get an email from someone claiming to be someone I do business with. I take a look at their email address. Their email address will tell you a lot.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
You're a better man than I if you can remember every phone number from every person you know.

I fell for one just recently. Bought a state park pass from my computer and was going to link my phone to it using a QR code the state sent me. Clicked on the code and got a message to verify my purchase. Looked legit, so I put in my credit card. Ohhhhh crap. Immediately got put on a $50/month music and video subscription that had no link to cancel. Card company wiped the charge, blocked the source, and sent me a new card. Still a pain in the keister to now change my automatic payments, but better than being cleaned out.

If this had happened on my computer, I would never have fallen for it. But I use the phone so seldom - and never as a computer - that was easily tricked.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You're a better man than I if you can remember every phone number from every person you know.

No one is saying they do. What we are saying is don’t answer if it’s not a known number in your contact list. If you haven’t saved that number to your phone, let it go to voice mail. If it’s legit they’ll leave a voice mail and you can add them as a contact if you want.
Just answering every time it rings is madness.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by DHN
Last week I got a call from "medicare", wanting to verify my ID number. Notified Medicare right away, gave them the number the call supposedly originated,, haven't heard anything yet.
it won't do any good . scammers almost always spoof dial.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by DHN
I've had numerous calls showing they originated in small towns all across Idaho. All are fake, of course, and none leave messages. Most likely they were computer generated and just looking for someone to answer to tell them it's a real number. Sales/scam calls will follow if you answer.

question: if a scammer calls and you don't answer, letting it go to voice mail, does the voice mail show up on their end as an answered call?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by gunzo
I came uncomfortably close, one or 2 clicks away, to loosing $825 for a shotgun on a reputable site. Not their fault, but freakin scammers are becoming more of a threat every day.

If new & improved measures aren't put in place, it's gonna be impossible to do business on line........ Yet that's what they want all of us to do.

On line,,,, paperless,,,, convenience,,, ya, ya ,ya.
When you have 40 million illegals in America with no jobs, what do you think is going to happen ??

kwg
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24

Yup. Thats how I handle it but my wife has to answer because of potential customers. We may set up a seperate phone for the business.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by DHN
^ ^ ^ This. Plus there are times when I message my cardiologist and there's a good chance a nurse will contact me by a cell phone that I don't have on my contact list. I need to take the call when it comes in otherwise I'll be playing phone tag all day with them.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Have land line into home...no discount given by phone/internet company

So I keep the land line........but never answer it...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
My CC info was swiped, apparently from the well-known Home Depot hack. The joke was on them however, as I was in the middle of my divorce and when they tried to buy a plane ticket with it, they ran into the credit limit.

Hard to steal from a broke person…..
Posted By: Chisos Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by dale06
I never answer phone calls from unknown callers, never!
I get multiple e mails weekly saying my account has been put on hold, please call this number, or similar. I delete all of them.

When that rare one that doesn't quite seem like a scam pops up, I get on my desktop and log in to which ever business is in question. Iffen there is a prob, you will find it on the company website.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

No one is saying they do. What we are saying is don’t answer if it’s not a known number in your contact list. If you haven’t saved that number to your phone, let it go to voice mail. If it’s legit they’ll leave a voice mail and you can add them as a contact if you want.
Just answering every time it rings is madness.
No VM set up here. If it's important they will call back.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Caught in a scam - 03/26/24

Steve, a suggestion. Why not ditch your ATT email completely and free yourself from the nonstop Trump assault and woke pitching? I have had my ATT account forever but am moving away from it.
I am moving to mailfence.com for better security and to flush all the spamware directed at my old email because it has been around so long.
© 24hourcampfire