Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Same here . never answer an unknown number. If its important they 'll leave a message and I'll decide after that
This is what I do as well. Then I block the number if they don't leave a message. Doesn't stop them forever but it shuts the down that attempt.
I don't do business over the phone and I if I get an email from someone claiming to be someone I do business with. I take a look at their email address. Their email address will tell you a lot.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're a better man than I if you can remember every phone number from every person you know.

I fell for one just recently. Bought a state park pass from my computer and was going to link my phone to it using a QR code the state sent me. Clicked on the code and got a message to verify my purchase. Looked legit, so I put in my credit card. Ohhhhh crap. Immediately got put on a $50/month music and video subscription that had no link to cancel. Card company wiped the charge, blocked the source, and sent me a new card. Still a pain in the keister to now change my automatic payments, but better than being cleaned out.

If this had happened on my computer, I would never have fallen for it. But I use the phone so seldom - and never as a computer - that was easily tricked.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You're a better man than I if you can remember every phone number from every person you know.

No one is saying they do. What we are saying is don’t answer if it’s not a known number in your contact list. If you haven’t saved that number to your phone, let it go to voice mail. If it’s legit they’ll leave a voice mail and you can add them as a contact if you want.
Just answering every time it rings is madness.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DHN
Last week I got a call from "medicare", wanting to verify my ID number. Notified Medicare right away, gave them the number the call supposedly originated,, haven't heard anything yet.
it won't do any good . scammers almost always spoof dial.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by DHN
Last week I got a call from "medicare", wanting to verify my ID number. Notified Medicare right away, gave them the number the call supposedly originated,, haven't heard anything yet.
I've had numerous calls showing they originated in small towns all across Idaho. All are fake, of course, and none leave messages. Most likely they were computer generated and just looking for someone to answer to tell them it's a real number. Sales/scam calls will follow if you answer.

question: if a scammer calls and you don't answer, letting it go to voice mail, does the voice mail show up on their end as an answered call?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
I came uncomfortably close, one or 2 clicks away, to loosing $825 for a shotgun on a reputable site. Not their fault, but freakin scammers are becoming more of a threat every day.

If new & improved measures aren't put in place, it's gonna be impossible to do business on line........ Yet that's what they want all of us to do.

On line,,,, paperless,,,, convenience,,, ya, ya ,ya.
When you have 40 million illegals in America with no jobs, what do you think is going to happen ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Same here . never answer an unknown number. If its important they 'll leave a message and I'll decide after that

Yup. Thats how I handle it but my wife has to answer because of potential customers. We may set up a seperate phone for the business.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by DHN
^ ^ ^ This. Plus there are times when I message my cardiologist and there's a good chance a nurse will contact me by a cell phone that I don't have on my contact list. I need to take the call when it comes in otherwise I'll be playing phone tag all day with them.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Have land line into home...no discount given by phone/internet company

So I keep the land line........but never answer it...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My CC info was swiped, apparently from the well-known Home Depot hack. The joke was on them however, as I was in the middle of my divorce and when they tried to buy a plane ticket with it, they ran into the credit limit.

Hard to steal from a broke person…..

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dale06
I never answer phone calls from unknown callers, never!
I get multiple e mails weekly saying my account has been put on hold, please call this number, or similar. I delete all of them.

When that rare one that doesn't quite seem like a scam pops up, I get on my desktop and log in to which ever business is in question. Iffen there is a prob, you will find it on the company website.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

No one is saying they do. What we are saying is don’t answer if it’s not a known number in your contact list. If you haven’t saved that number to your phone, let it go to voice mail. If it’s legit they’ll leave a voice mail and you can add them as a contact if you want.
Just answering every time it rings is madness.
No VM set up here. If it's important they will call back.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Got a call purportedly by ATT. Said someone had added services in Pennsylvania. Seemed legit. Then they asked for my passcode to verify. Gave it to them and an 'oh-no' second later realized what I had done. Hung up on them and called ATT. Had to wait for a call back due to a 45 minute wait.

Got home and saw an email that my password had been changed. Fuuuuu....

Anyway got a call back from ATT and got everything changed and verified that there had been no account changes other than the passcode and password.

Biggest problem is that the wife over heard this and is now muttering about how we are going to lose our bank account and retirement.

Oh well, not a bad time to change passwords.
Steve, a suggestion. Why not ditch your ATT email completely and free yourself from the nonstop Trump assault and woke pitching? I have had my ATT account forever but am moving away from it.
I am moving to mailfence.com for better security and to flush all the spamware directed at my old email because it has been around so long.

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/26/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.