Home
That?
I just got new ones last week. Exam, frames, poly lens with "no line" bifocals and transition lenses were just under $600.
Alotta “depends”.

Not ur daily wear, but options chosen.

$15 for readers as much as maybe $1000…depending.

Dint you just have cataracts removed?
Yew Mike, I still see better with my left eye, I'm holding off on the left till for know.
Depending on frames they can cost that much and more. I'd stay away from the cut rate places, they use inferior lens blanks. Learned my lesson several years ago when I got lenses with black carbon inclusions. As with all else you get what you pay for. I've been wearing the same prescription in the same frames for the last 10 years. I have a yearly exam by my Opthamologist and she see's very little change in my vision. She's O.K. with my wearing my current glasses as long as they provide good vision. AT 74 my vision is 20/20 and I only need glasses to read the finest print like on prescription bottle. Passed my recent DL exam vision test without glasses, I do wear them for night time driving though.
Mine were about $700 after insurance for everything
Thanks all.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thanks all.

no prob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I get 6 pair for $12 with free shipping.
5 hundred
Enuff I’ll keep wearin what I got
I dunno. Drive down here, I'll punch you in your good eye and then drive you to the optometrist. We'll both have a learning experience.
$6.00 for prescription glasses at Walmart:

https://www.eyebuydirect.com/eyeglasses/frames/drums-blue-s-15531
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Those are Birth Control glasses. Ain't NOBODY going to get their bean snapped wearing those things!
Costco. Under 200
Optometrist exam. Two new pairs of frames. Two sets of lenses, light polycarb, shatter resistant. One set of lenses with coating for sunglasses + UV blocker + polarized. $900 post insurance.
I got an eye exam at my eye doctor, I think he charged $150.00 but insurance covered it, I bought the glasses at my local Costco, new frames and blended bi focal lens for about $240.00. I've been buying my glassed from Costco for over 25 years and never had a problem. They adjust and repair for life of glasses. My lovely wife however bought designer glasses for a local boutiqueat a cost of $1900.00. See sees better and "looks good" doing it.
$1900?? Wow….
I just bought two pair of prescription reading glasses at WalMart for $80. That includes frames and lenses. I already had the prescription. I went as cheap as I could because I won't wear them out. I'll probably sit on them or lose them then replace them with more cheap glasses.
Isn’t gophergunner in the eyeglass biz?
LOL
Just last month-- private independent optometrist office:

Eye exam = $135, Frames $70, lined bifocals w/scratch resistant lenses = $100. Total = $305

HUGH markup on frames and special 'hi-tech' lens coatings at most private optometrist as well as the big chain stores .

They'll usually try to up-sell customers everything they can get away with, too, if you let them.
more than velcro tennis shoes

phug jo bidumb inflation
Originally Posted by ironbender
LOL
Yes
Jag should give you a free exam and demo pricing on frames.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thanks all.

no prob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yepp...
Costco. They'll do the exam and make the glasses for a LOT less than what some are paying. At least the Costco here will. Last time I got some, they said buy the 1st pair and a 2d pair is $50, even for prescription sunglasses.
Check out zenni.com for cheap frames and lenses. I've had good luck with them. I bought top of the line Hoya lenses and ti frames and after insurance it was around 350. The Hoyas are noticeably better, but the zenni's are plenty fine for 60 bux.
^^^ Yep, Costco is where we go also. Consumer Reports did a review of eyeglass suppliers several years back and Costco got the highest scores for satisfaction and accuracy of the lenses matching the prescription.
We’v always been very pleased with their service.
Whatever you do, go to a competent optometrist, not one like America's Best or Stanton Optical.

I bought some glasses from America's Best and had to take them back 4 times before they got them right. They are only a couple of miles away, but kept telling me that my vision was better, crisper, than I thought and I was either confused and just wrong.
Get em free from the Optimists boxes I see on the sidewalk on my way to the burger line.
My wife got a new set ordered today from Costco. Progressive lenses and transitions $260
I use Zenni Optical online. Have multiple pairs and sunglasses too. $90 for this last pair but half that was upgraded coatings and such. Titanium bendy flexible frames.

First pair I bought were just to have backup to my $300 eye doctor glasses. I liked the cheaper online ones better, could see better with them. Have to upload a prescription under a year old.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Amazon:

3 pack, anti computer glare reading glasses

$19.99
$50 copay for eye doc.

$300 budget, for safety glasses, from work.

I can get a couple pair, normal looking frames, bifocals,
Under budget.

Haven’t had personal glasses in decades.
Those are the glasses I wear, if I buy personal ones they look the same.
Just had an eye exam and got a year supply of contacts for $180

Haven't priced glasses in years. Got a pair somewhere I think
Originally Posted by high_country_
Check out zenni.com for cheap frames and lenses. I've had good luck with them. I bought top of the line Hoya lenses and ti frames and after insurance it was around 350. The Hoyas are noticeably better, but the zenni's are plenty fine for 60 bux.

The Hoya lenses have AR coatings that are harder to scratch than glass. They’ll last you way more than 5x longer than the Zenni’s and be cheaper in the long run.

I still for the life of me can’t figure out how in the hell so many folks allow for someone to make them a set of Polycarbonate lenses. Poly is the “least clear” lens-making material on the planet. Trivex is every bit as impact resistant as Poly, but, it’s almost as good as the human eye can’t detect for clarity.
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Those are Birth Control glasses. Ain't NOBODY going to get their bean snapped wearing those things!

If you want the good looking Walmart Glasses, they'll cost you a whole $9.00
If you have 10% or more VA disability they are free from the VA, so is the exam.
Originally Posted by horse1

The Hoya lenses have AR coatings that are harder to scratch than glass. They’ll last you way more than 5x longer than the Zenni’s and be cheaper in the long run.

I still for the life of me can’t figure out how in the hell so many folks allow for someone to make them a set of Polycarbonate lenses. Poly is the “least clear” lens-making material on the planet. Trivex is every bit as impact resistant as Poly, but, it’s almost as good as the human eye can’t detect for clarity.

I don’t have Bose speakers either.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by horse1

I don’t have Bose speakers either.

😁😁😁😁😁👍👍👍
Something I feel is very important but I've rarely ever heard mentioned from staff working at optometrist office / eyeglass centers is instead of picking out a frame you like the looks of best or cheapest you should first go for the correct frame size for a proper fit for your face/nose/head width, and temple length to ears. If you don't get the correct size frames you may well find yourself miserable trying to keep poor fitting glasses from constantly sliding down, painful blisters on nose and ears, depressions imprinted on side of head.

As always, though, YMMV...
Back when I wore glasses it cost me around 600 for progressive bifocals and another 250 for prescription sun glasses. Add in the cost of an eye exam and the cost for new glasses every couple years was close to $1000. I was actually on my way into town to get an eye exam and to order new glasses. I heard an ad for Lasic on the radio. I cancelled my eye exam and made an appointment for a consult on Lasic. Had it done and it has been 17 years without glasses. I have great vision and have saved thousands on glasses and exams.
My problem has been getting an eye exam without allowing them to put chemicals in my eyes. I ended up ordering new lenses from my old perscription because people in the service industry don't know their place.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Back when I wore glasses it cost me around 600 for progressive bifocals and another 250 for prescription sun glasses. Add in the cost of an eye exam and the cost for new glasses every couple years was close to $1000. I was actually on my way into town to get an eye exam and to order new glasses. I heard an ad for Lasic on the radio. I cancelled my eye exam and made an appointment for a consult on Lasic. Had it done and it has been 17 years without glasses. I have great vision and have saved thousands on glasses and exams.

May I ask how old you were when it was done?
I'm debating on it,but thinking I may be to old.
I use zenni.com with complete satisfaction. Be aware that you will need a PD measurement when you order, and that's not always on the prescription sheet. But you can ask your doc to provide it.
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

May I ask how old you were when it was done?
I'm debating on it,but thinking I may be to old.
I was 58. I was big into elk hunting and was always dealing with glasses fogging up due to all the climbing. I'm 75 now and can still see great. I do use readers for reading closeup though but get them at Costco in a 3 pack
The procedure was really nothing. They gave me a pill to calm me and I was under the lasik machine for just a couple minutes in each eye. They put eye patches on and sent me home to sleep
When I woke up that afternoon I took off the patches and looked across the lake at the mountains. I saw them way better with more color than I ever did before. Never had any side effects and vision still great
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I use zenni.com with complete satisfaction. Be aware that you will need a PD measurement when you order, and that's not always on the prescription sheet. But you can ask your doc to provide it.

Yeah, you can get some good glasses on-line

I got my PD from my docs office and they charged me $25 for it, BS!! Prescrip was free. I tried measuring my PD myself but turned out I was a little off.

Be careful though, I requested fully anti-glare coated specs from one company and they weren't. Sent me a new pair after I proved to them they weren't coated.

MAGA!
Oh boy how much is a can of Puss n Boots catfood?
Mine were about $600 after insurance, without insurance I think that they were about $1,100~$1,200.
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I dunno. Drive down here, I'll punch you in your good eye and then drive you to the optometrist. We'll both have a learning experience.
azzhole.
Originally Posted by 160user
I just got new ones last week. Exam, frames, poly lens with "no line" bifocals and transition lenses were just under $600.

Same here but came to just under a grand. Ended up paying about 450 after insurance.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by ironbender
LOL
Yes

Somebody needs to hook WABI up!!
Big fan of Zenni here,
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Big fan of Zenni here,
My work glasses are 180 dollar Zennis. Safety bifocals.
IIRC, my memory flex frame, bifocal, coated zenni glasses came to under $100. My pair of computer glasses came to less than $30.
Mine were $1300 before insurance. I think I was a little over $600 outta pocket.
A lot less if you get 'em from Costco. Kind of like buying textbooks, if you buy 'em from the campus bookstore (optometrist) you're paying way more than necessary.
If you already have your prescription you can't beat Costco's prices or service. I get a complete 2 hour eye exam every year from the eye Doctor who removed my cataracts. I got a pair of trifocal glasses (for better distance vision)with titanium frames for around $200 at Costco and I got them in a few days.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Whatever you do, go to a competent optometrist, not one like America's Best or Stanton Optical.

I bought some glasses from America's Best and had to take them back 4 times before they got them right. They are only a couple of miles away, but kept telling me that my vision was better, crisper, than I thought and I was either confused and just wrong.

260… Exactly my experience with Americans Best in December. Since I get a $200. allowance for glasses from my insurance, I thought I would try them. I’d never worn glasses except for $20.00 1.75 readers these last few years and not even those with good enough light. $20.00 for an eye exam then new spring frames, no line bifocals, anti glare and $75.00 out of pocket. And they were terrible with double vision. I took them back and told them to just turn them into readers. $75.00 rebate and they are still second rate with double vision. I’m back using my $20.00 1.75’s again. Suspect that I’ll get their prescription glasses changed to another pair of plain glass 1.75-2.00 reader lenses. Far from Americas Best as far as I’m concerned.
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
azzhole.

LOL !
I bought a pair of prescription readers at Walmart or $36 . A pair of lined bifocal at Abba Eye for $400. Same prescription at Walmart for $150, but plastic lens. Difference in price will be for type of lens (Plastic, Polycarbonate, Trivex, or galss ). How fancy the frames you want, and any add on like scratch resistant, anti glare.

Plastic is cheaper. Polycarbonate will give more distortion at the edges. Trivex is ripoff. I don't of anyone that offers glass anymore.

Exams not included. Insurance pays for that. We have VSP, and my Humana pays for another pair,. I always go for the Optimax photo instead of having my eyes dilated.
"I always go for the Optimax photo instead of having my eyes dilated."

I was not offered that option by my (former) eye doc or her husband, who is also an eye doc and president of our gun club.

Ordered a pair of glasses from old perscription from Zenni after Campfire Comendations, which should be a forum here?
If considering Lasik, checkout the problems when you have to have cataract surgery in the future.
My grandson is an optometrist, but he is 1200 miles away.God source of info though.
My most recent eyeglasses purchase from a private practice optometrists came with a 20% discount on total cost of exam, frames, lenses, coatings, etc. This is only for customers who pay 'out-of-pocket' thereby avoiding having to deal with insurance companies.

My last eye exam and glasses was done by a ophthalmologist and was the worst experience I've had in getting an eye exam and glasses in years.

First exam was performed by a office assistant and when the glasses came in they were impossible to see out of. Got a second exam, this time the ophthalmologist did it. I could at least see close okay and mid-range so-so this time, so I just let it slide figuring that that was the best I was going to get at my age (that whole mess cost a bundle). I simply had to quit going to that ophthalmologist altogether though, mainly because they were more interested in selling the big stuff like Lasik surgery, cataract surgery, eyelid surgery, etc., etc., etc., than doing the everyday stuff. Every visit there they never failed to try to sell me some surgical 'procedure' before I left.

My new glasses are perfect. I can see great close, mid-range and distance fine. Optometrist said my old glasses (exam done by ophthalmologist) were entirely too strong.
Wabigoon will not use any of this information towards any action to buy new glasses.

He’s only milking you gents for your time and YEA true now I have posted on here too. But only to warn you of the Rube trap

So go ahead if you must with the obligatory stupid RUBE jab with “duhhhh if didnt care so much you posted on it too”

Oooo what a burn. lol

Ok just trying to help

Most never read the body of the thread anyway…just me me me i paid this me did me did pick me wabigoon be my friend i posted 9 paragraphs as a Rube, pick me
You may be rubes but I gained usefull info on this thread unlike any of your drivel.
$250.00

Send cash.
Lots of lost glasses here.

Must deny the holocaust.

Anyone else, denied.

What was it you were looking for?

Have you consulted, eyeball, our esteemed campfire member?
Damn link...
This thread is funny as shiet. Guys will spend $3K on a Swaro, but their [bleep] puckers at a hundo on their everyday vision. Gotta love the ‘fire.

This last pair of glasses were around $1100. Titanium lightweight frames, poly, progressives, lense thinning thing, coupla coatings. They weigh a few ounces. Gets $$$ quick. I try to get 2 years out of them. The off year I get rx sunglasses - usually Maui Jims, and shooting glasses lense replacement for my Decots. Wish I was a candidate for Lasik.
I'm going to get an exam on Sat. Even with insurance, I expect to spend 600-1000.

I'll do new frames and lenses with appropriate filters for glare/computer screen use and have new lenses put in my sunglasses as they're still in excellent shape. Ray Ban Wayfarer RB2140's - just like Jake/Elwood.
[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]
© 24hourcampfire