Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Something I feel is very important but I've rarely ever heard mentioned from staff working at optometrist office / eyeglass centers is instead of picking out a frame you like the looks of best or cheapest you should first go for the correct frame size for a proper fit for your face/nose/head width, and temple length to ears. If you don't get the correct size frames you may well find yourself miserable trying to keep poor fitting glasses from constantly sliding down, painful blisters on nose and ears, depressions imprinted on side of head.

As always, though, YMMV...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back when I wore glasses it cost me around 600 for progressive bifocals and another 250 for prescription sun glasses. Add in the cost of an eye exam and the cost for new glasses every couple years was close to $1000. I was actually on my way into town to get an eye exam and to order new glasses. I heard an ad for Lasic on the radio. I cancelled my eye exam and made an appointment for a consult on Lasic. Had it done and it has been 17 years without glasses. I have great vision and have saved thousands on glasses and exams.

living the good life every day
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My problem has been getting an eye exam without allowing them to put chemicals in my eyes. I ended up ordering new lenses from my old perscription because people in the service industry don't know their place.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Back when I wore glasses it cost me around 600 for progressive bifocals and another 250 for prescription sun glasses. Add in the cost of an eye exam and the cost for new glasses every couple years was close to $1000. I was actually on my way into town to get an eye exam and to order new glasses. I heard an ad for Lasic on the radio. I cancelled my eye exam and made an appointment for a consult on Lasic. Had it done and it has been 17 years without glasses. I have great vision and have saved thousands on glasses and exams.

May I ask how old you were when it was done?
I'm debating on it,but thinking I may be to old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use zenni.com with complete satisfaction. Be aware that you will need a PD measurement when you order, and that's not always on the prescription sheet. But you can ask your doc to provide it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

May I ask how old you were when it was done?
I'm debating on it,but thinking I may be to old.
I was 58. I was big into elk hunting and was always dealing with glasses fogging up due to all the climbing. I'm 75 now and can still see great. I do use readers for reading closeup though but get them at Costco in a 3 pack
The procedure was really nothing. They gave me a pill to calm me and I was under the lasik machine for just a couple minutes in each eye. They put eye patches on and sent me home to sleep
When I woke up that afternoon I took off the patches and looked across the lake at the mountains. I saw them way better with more color than I ever did before. Never had any side effects and vision still great

Last edited by champlain_islander; 04/03/24.

living the good life every day
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I use zenni.com with complete satisfaction. Be aware that you will need a PD measurement when you order, and that's not always on the prescription sheet. But you can ask your doc to provide it.

Yeah, you can get some good glasses on-line

I got my PD from my docs office and they charged me $25 for it, BS!! Prescrip was free. I tried measuring my PD myself but turned out I was a little off.

Be careful though, I requested fully anti-glare coated specs from one company and they weren't. Sent me a new pair after I proved to them they weren't coated.

MAGA!

"an armed society is a polite society"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh boy how much is a can of Puss n Boots catfood?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mine were about $600 after insurance, without insurance I think that they were about $1,100~$1,200.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I dunno. Drive down here, I'll punch you in your good eye and then drive you to the optometrist. We'll both have a learning experience.
azzhole.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 160user
I just got new ones last week. Exam, frames, poly lens with "no line" bifocals and transition lenses were just under $600.

Same here but came to just under a grand. Ended up paying about 450 after insurance.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by ironbender
Isn’t gophergunner in the eyeglass biz?
LOL
Yes

Somebody needs to hook WABI up!!

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Big fan of Zenni here,

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Big fan of Zenni here,
My work glasses are 180 dollar Zennis. Safety bifocals.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC, my memory flex frame, bifocal, coated zenni glasses came to under $100. My pair of computer glasses came to less than $30.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine were $1300 before insurance. I think I was a little over $600 outta pocket.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A lot less if you get 'em from Costco. Kind of like buying textbooks, if you buy 'em from the campus bookstore (optometrist) you're paying way more than necessary.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
If you already have your prescription you can't beat Costco's prices or service. I get a complete 2 hour eye exam every year from the eye Doctor who removed my cataracts. I got a pair of trifocal glasses (for better distance vision)with titanium frames for around $200 at Costco and I got them in a few days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Whatever you do, go to a competent optometrist, not one like America's Best or Stanton Optical.

I bought some glasses from America's Best and had to take them back 4 times before they got them right. They are only a couple of miles away, but kept telling me that my vision was better, crisper, than I thought and I was either confused and just wrong.

260… Exactly my experience with Americans Best in December. Since I get a $200. allowance for glasses from my insurance, I thought I would try them. I’d never worn glasses except for $20.00 1.75 readers these last few years and not even those with good enough light. $20.00 for an eye exam then new spring frames, no line bifocals, anti glare and $75.00 out of pocket. And they were terrible with double vision. I took them back and told them to just turn them into readers. $75.00 rebate and they are still second rate with double vision. I’m back using my $20.00 1.75’s again. Suspect that I’ll get their prescription glasses changed to another pair of plain glass 1.75-2.00 reader lenses. Far from Americas Best as far as I’m concerned.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I dunno. Drive down here, I'll punch you in your good eye and then drive you to the optometrist. We'll both have a learning experience.
azzhole.

LOL !

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.