Home
San Antonio Express-News

Kerrville is a premium viewing destination. NASA will hold a watch party with scientist-speakers and a front-row seat for four minutes and 25 seconds of total darkness. Admission to the festival is free, but a room at the Motel 6 costs $900 for one night.

The normal charge for the Kerrville Motel 6 is $70.
That entire strip along the eclipse path has gone Nuckin Futs!

The crazies are invading ranches, entering people's homes, and so on and so forth...

The locals in central Texas communities being invaded have even made Facebook pages dedicated to recording the insanity. crazy
Pffft

Boomers would rather watch The Sons Of Katie Elder for the 9,224th time.šŸ¤£šŸ˜ƒ
Damn TOURONS!!!!

no one should be allowed to enjoy the eclipse

Arrrgggghhhh!!!! I gotta make angry pirate poopy and eat my steel cut oatmeal.

Then Iā€™m gonna drive Yumaā€¦ARRRRGGGHH!!!!
Several cities and counties have already declared disasters.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news...500-565f8a3d-4956-41be-ab8a-8a4f94ad73c7
My weather forcast just went from 40% to 70% chance of rain,12mph south wind bringing in gulf moisture.Looks like 50/50 at best.........the circus has begun west of Lostin and the hill country is being invaded like the border has been for the last three years.My happy ass is staying in my garden for the rest of the weekend.Yall be careful out there,theres fruits,nuts and crispy critters everywhere.
Apprx 1 million extra expected to be on Kintuckuh roadways for the event.
nytimes.com

April 4, 2024
The solar eclipse that will cast a visible shadow across the United States on Monday is already leaving an obvious mark on hotel prices.

Super 8 Hotel Prices for the Eclipse

The Super 8 hotel chain is considered an inexpensive option for travelers, and it has over 1,400 American locations. About 300 of those are within the path of totality, and 100 of those were sold out for Sunday or Monday, according to the Super 8 website.

One Super 8 in Grayville, Ill., advertised $949 a night for a Sunday-Tuesday stay. $2,847 for 3 nights. Its normal advertised nightly rate is $95.
I have family in Kerrville, they own Gibson's Hardware.
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

I love that old Gibson's!

About the last one standing. Went in there many times in my youth.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.gibsonsdiscount.com/solar-eclipse

Kerrville, Texas: Our charming town of Kerrville, nestled in the heart of the Texas Hill Country, offers a prime viewing spot for this celestial ballet. And while youā€™re here, donā€™t miss a visit to Gibsonā€™s Discount Center, where youā€™ll find everything from eclipse glasses to quirky souvenirs.

Parking at Gibsonā€™s: We are a retail business so we need to ensure that we have enough parking for those folks that want to shop with us, so, on the day of the eclipse, we will be charging $50 to park. However, if you spend $100 or more in the store, we will refund you the parking fee.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I'd love to watch the total eclipse. The last one, in 2017, we had 98 percent here. That was pretty good, we had six people drive up here from Atlanta for our eclipse party, that was fun.

But I'd love to see a total eclipse. If I had a friend I could stay with in the zone of totality, I wouldn't mind driving six or eight hours and seeing the show.
But I'm not paying $949 for one night in a motel. I bet the motels require payment in advance. And what are you going to do if it winds up cloudy.

I have slept in the cab of my Nissan Frontier many times, and on the ground with or without tent moreā€™n that.

Egad! Go see it man!
Stayinā€™ right here at the ranch. Was in Johnson City Monday with ranch boss. She has booth at antique mall there. Place was already packed. Folks from UK in the shop. Looking bleak for the tourons. Lots of cloud cover here this morning. I say cā€™mon rain. We need it bad. I know Burnet county has issued burn ban til next Wednesday. Back 150 acres are in Burnet county. Look for Blanco to do same. I need to burn more cedar piles.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Stayinā€™ right here at the ranch. Was in Johnson City Monday with ranch boss. She has booth at antique mall there. Place was already packed. Folks from UK in the shop. Looking bleak for the tourons. Lots of cloud cover here this morning. I say cā€™mon rain. We need it bad. I know Burnet county has issued burn ban til next Wednesday. Back 150 acres are in Burnet county. Look for Blanco to do same. I need to burn more cedar piles.

Nothing would please me more than about a 5-6 inch rain about now! smile

I hear of a 1300 acre ranch that sold RV type space... over 40k paid to park so far.

That would be entertainment for the record book if it would get sloppy muddy there on that ranch with all the vehicles and RVs... laugh laugh
I was going out there but it gonna be cloudy
5-6" of rain here would be a Godsend!!!! Couzins and I be fixing watergaps for a month! But Iā€™d gladly do it! Yeah can just imagine it would be reenactment of Woodstock up there on Reivelle mountain where the big RV park is!!!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Yes, it will be raining in Texas Monday. Staying home the next 4 days no need to go anywhere. It is nuts here also. Locking the gates and loading more guns. Stay safe the nuts will be out.
Something you eclipse fans may want to consider safety wise...we have millions of new residents from Central America enriching our culture...they are the descendants of the Aztecs, Toltecs etc. And history tells us that they are fond of human sacrifice and blood orgy, to appease the sun god during times of solar anomaly...and sometimes, just for the sheer fun of it too. Situational awareness, lads. (sarc)
Don't need to travel, my house is dead center under the path. Will just have to keep an eye on far end of my field for trespassers.

It's a great old store,nice sporting goods dept.,and they will order whatever u need.
The boys and family will be here, four miles north of Bergheim, grilling and sipping. It's pretty rare to get all three off at the same time. We're looking forward to the gathering.
I agree, Gibson's is a great store!

I've got no trespassing signs all over the place. I've run people off our property several times over the years. We have a spring-fed creek in back and it not only brings wildlife, it brings tourists. Fredericksburg Texas is a destination town. We have lots of tourists every weekend and some throughout the week. My wife and I are hosting some friends and family for the eclipse. I'll be glad when it's over.

As for rain - we always welcome rain here in the Hill Country. :-)

T.S.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Something you eclipse fans may want to consider safety wise...we have millions of new residents from Central America enriching our culture...they are the descendants of the Aztecs, Toltecs etc. And history tells us that they are fond of human sacrifice and blood orgy, to appease the sun god during times of solar anomaly...and sometimes, just for the sheer fun of it too. Situational awareness, lads. (sarc)

I have made a sacrifice of pork ribs on the pit to the sun god to deliver to us three days of torrential rains!!!! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Originally Posted by slumlord
Pffft

Boomers would rather watch The Sons Of Katie Elder for the 9,224th time.šŸ¤£šŸ˜ƒ
i am one of those ..lol..or any othe John Wayne movie would be better than the eclipse ....screw the eclipse .I dont see the attraction and big hooplaa over it for reguler people, i have seen luner eclipses before ,it the same but reversed ,it no big deal expetiley not spend no 900 a night motel room to see it

I hunted in Kerr county for over thirty years. Spent money there every chance we got.
Originally Posted by rem shooter
Pffft

i am one of those ..lol..or any othe John Wayne movie would be better than the eclipse ....screw the eclipse ā€¦. i have seen luner eclipses before ,it the same but reversed ,it no big deal expetiley not spend no 900 a night motel room to see it

Lunar eclipse? Not even in the ballpark.

Black sun in a ring of fire, stars in the black sky around the sun, brighter all around on the horizon like a 360 degree sunrise.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Pffft

i am one of those ..lol..or any othe John Wayne movie would be better than the eclipse ....screw the eclipse ā€¦. i have seen luner eclipses before ,it the same but reversed ,it no big deal expetiley not spend no 900 a night motel room to see it

Black sun in a ring of fire, stars in the black sky around the sun, brighter all around on the horizon like a 360 degree sunrise.

Some sharp dudes here aye Mike...
A few years back, eclipse viewers stormed the central Oregon area. Lots of public ground to camp! We are still cleaning up from that cluster. I never knew there were that many slob litter bugs.
Originally Posted by EdM
Pffft

Some sharp dudes here aye Mike...

Actually there is, most donā€™t realize what a full eclipse is really like.

The eclipse I regret missing was just a partial here in 2012 or 2013 I think.

I thought ā€œbig deal partial eclipseā€, regular daylight ya donā€™t realize anything is different unless you look at the sun.

I didnā€™t realize the sun was gonna SET while in partial eclipse, I saw the photos, it looked like science fiction,

All all I would have had to do was step outside crazy
We just left Comfort this morning. The turkeys were tight lipped and stayed on the other side of the fence. Things in town seemed fairly normal for a Saturday morning.
We are in the dark every day 8 hours. Donā€™t see the draw. Not a fan.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
We are in the dark every day 8 hours. Donā€™t see the draw. Not a fan.

And that's OK too.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Naw, there's one in Weatherford TX.
Not on the rain it won't.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
San Antonio Express-News
Admission to the festival is free, but a room at the Motel 6 costs $900 for one night.
SOB!!!!!
We're in the path here as well.
I don't think people realize how cool it will be.
News projects an extra 500k ppl in the region.County state of emergency,as they think 50k just in our county.
Should be fun,grilling some protien,cranking Pink Floyd, who knows
We had a RV parked in our gateway on the county road last night, couple from New Jersey looking for a place they could park and watch the Eclipse, moved them to the S.Ranch inside the gate safer there and not on the hi-way. nice retired couple, tomorrow is my birthday and we are having a little ranch fiesta at the main barn we are going to bring them up for a little food and give them a taste of S.Texas and watch the eclipse, should be fun. Rio7
in Lexington Kentucky.it seems the University of Kentucky library either gave away or sold some fake eclipse sunglasses that were not certified to be dark enough to look at the sun ,.They had it in the news for everyone who got one to throw them away .ironic UK would not have checked this being they are a UNIVERITY .to many scammers ,why take a chance with your eyesight over unknown sunglasses ,even ef they have the cert number ,there are to many scammers ,

No Sh*t VLB?? Dude you are Royalty!! I have spotted another Gibson's still around....can't recall where but as soon as I saw it joked with the wife that we had to move there.

MY folks lived in Kerrville but sadly passed away these last few years. That Gibsons was Mecca for me. I bought my CZ40P pistol there years ago for something like $250.
When we were changing scopes on Dad's CZ rifle I had to break the original rings that were loctited on. We went there thinking what are the odds they would have rings for a CZ. Gun counter guy looked around and said sorry. As we turned to leave I saw a few more rings on a hook and the very last one was for a CZ so I picked them up. As a result Dad got to hunt a few extra years. Epic place.

My sister lived until this year in Center Point right next to the cemetery and on the same road as Camp Verde. They had 20 acres and we hunted white tail and a lot of axis there. She is moving to Medina to be near my nephew- so fricking lucky.

Her husband's grandfather was a very popular old timer and his grandfather before was first sheriff of the county.
Originally Posted by RIO7
We had a RV parked in our gateway on the county road last night, couple from New Jersey looking for a place they could park and watch the Eclipse, moved them to the S.Ranch inside the gate safer there and not on the hi-way. nice retired couple, tomorrow is my birthday and we are having a little ranch fiesta at the main barn we are going to bring them up for a little food and give them a taste of S.Texas and watch the eclipse, should be fun. Rio7

Damn, itā€™s your birthday, thanks for arranging the eclipse, not everybody has the influence to do that šŸ˜Ž

Nowā€¦. if you could just pass on a word about the weatherā€¦ā€¦
Supposed to be cloudy here (central Texas). Their selling moon eclipse glasses on Amazon. Why????
Originally Posted by kenjs1

No Sh*t VLB?? Dude you are Royalty!! I have spotted another Gibson's still around....can't recall where but as soon as I saw it joked with the wife that we had to move there.

MY folks lived in Kerrville but sadly passed away these last few years. That Gibsons was Mecca for me. I bought my CZ40P pistol there years ago for something like $250.
When we were changing scopes on Dad's CZ rifle I had to break the original rings that were loctited on. We went there thinking what are the odds they would have rings for a CZ. Gun counter guy looked around and said sorry. As we turned to leave I saw a few more rings on a hook and the very last one was for a CZ so I picked them up. As a result Dad got to hunt a few extra years. Epic place.

My sister lived until this year in Center Point right next to the cemetery and on the same road as Camp Verde. They had 20 acres and we hunted white tail and a lot of axis there. She is moving to Medina to be near my nephew- so fricking lucky.

Her husband's grandfather was a very popular old timer and his grandfather before was first sheriff of the county.

Definitely good people there for sure. What's interesting is (at least on my end of the family history), the owners surname is Kemp. Not sure how the Gibson's name came about. I'm sure I'll learn one day, that information predates me by more than a few years.
Originally Posted by victoro
Supposed to be cloudy here (central Texas). Their selling moon eclipse glasses on Amazon. Why????
You and Happy Camper already make your own with Dr Mercola? LOL

Good in you Rio ! And Happy Birthday!!!
Several cities and counties have already declared disasters.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news...500-565f8a3d-4956-41be-ab8a-8a4f94ad73c7

Humm. I'm not remembering those declarations for previous solar eclipses.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Definitely good people there for sure. What's interesting is (at least on my end of the family history), the owners surname is Kemp. Not sure how the Gibson's name came about. I'm sure I'll learn one day, that information predates me by more than a few years.

Gibsonā€™s was a chain discount store down here back in the day. I imagine they just kept the name on the store. I always shopped and bought ammo at the Gibsonā€™s on Burnet road in Austin. Theey sold all their centerfire rifle Norma brand ammo @ $4.97 a box! Regardless of cartridge! šŸ¤£
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Gibsonā€™s was a chain discount store down here back in the day. I imagine they just kept the name on the store. I always shopped and bought ammo at the Gibsonā€™s on Burnet road in Austin. Theey sold all their centerfire rifle Norma brand ammo @ $4.97 a box! Regardless of cartridge! šŸ¤£

Yep. Gibsonā€™s was a chain store owned by the Gibson family. It was definitely the best Sporting Goods retailer in the 1960ā€™s and 1970ā€™s, along with all the other stuff they sold. They made Walmart look like schitt.
Unfortunately, Walmart won the chain store wars about 1986 or so.
Thereā€™s still a Gibsonā€™s in Weatherford, TX, too. May be a few others in other states, too.
The few current stores left just kept the name ā€œGibsonā€™sā€

Theyā€™re not owned by the original family.
Birdwatcher, You can be assured the weather will clear i will send my request in the morning. Rio7
Birdwatcher, You can be assured the weather will clear i will send my request in the morning. Rio7

šŸ‘šŸ» tks
You can put your zip code in to see what the coverage will be in your area...(if any)

https://www.univision.com/especiales/noticias/infografias/2024/eclipse-solar-2024-en/
Thanks Barry.

šŸ‘šŸ» tks

Theyā€™ve reduced the probability of rain here to 10% for tomorrow. Still supposed to be partly cloudy. Eclipse is supposed to be 97% coverage of the sun, here.

Mike, who was the Comanche ā€œMedicine Manā€ that told the tribe to stare at the sun all day ??? Seems like he was at the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls ?
And the one that didnā€™t get along with Quanah Parker, too.

The thought did occur to me that with a couple of Leatherface masks and chain saws you could prank that nice retired couple pretty well šŸ™‚

No worries, theyā€™re from New Jersey, it ainā€™t like theyā€™ll be packing handguns.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

šŸ‘šŸ» tks

Theyā€™ve reduced the probability of rain here to 10% for tomorrow. Still supposed to be partly cloudy. Eclipse is supposed to be 97% coverage of the sun, here.

Mike, who was the Comanche ā€œMedicine Manā€ that told the tribe to stare at the sun all day ??? Seems like he was at the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls ?
And the one that didnā€™t get along with Quanah Parker, too.

Isa-tai, or ā€œCoyote Droppingsā€ depending on who you ask, the bulletproof medicine guy. Him and Quanah became rivals in tribal elections later on.

Sources have it the Sun Dance was not a traditional Comanche ritual, the radicals tried it that summer in search of spiritual mojo at a time when their world was falling apart, one would guess it was supervised by their northern plains friends ( it can be presumed much of what went on on the Indian side of the Frontier never was told to our guys).

Reports say Quanah wanted to go after the hated Tonkawa who, in addition to scouting for MacKenzie, were still eating people, but he got outvoted and they attacked Adobe Walls instead.
Do ya think T rump will look straight up at the sun without the glasses like in 2017?
Originally Posted by callnum
Do ya think T rump will look straight up at the sun without the glasses like in 2017?

Could be, I didnā€™t have any glasses at all during the total in Oaxaca in 1991, neither did my friend. I can still see pretty good 33 years after the fact. We have since lost touch, last time we talked was maybe 1995, no mention of vision damage on her part either.

No mention of blindness epidemics following eclipses in historic times either. I donā€™t doubt you can damage your retina if you try but I believe the danger is overblown.
I don't understand this pagan celebration. It's an eclipse, who cares?
Was out beyond Kerrville and Fredricksburg. Traffic more than I've ever seen. Neighbors
rent cabins booked solid by people from Germany. This is a huge $$$$$$ maker for the area.
cool cool cool cool
I think Iā€™ve seen my last one since itā€™s cloudy up that way
KYHillChick and I are leaving shortly for our adventure to the Sun. It's okay, we're starting in the dark.

We're on the north side of Cincinnati. If we can get 20 miles west, we'll have achieved Totality. At our age, that's an achievement. From then on, it's just a matter of going west until the traffic makes us stop. The center of the path, with 4 minutes of Totality, is about 77 miles, between us and Indianapolis.

We're taking the back roads, mostly US 52, with Rushville being the target.
Serious? Thats pretty cool if you are serious. What a great store.

Eclipse. Yeah we will look if its clear. Currently its a full eclipse of clouds.

I sure can't fault folks for wanting to see things that dont' happen that often. I've seen one that I can recall though. It wasn't impressive. Not enough to scare people etc... like the news says it could or will. Animal shelters warning keep animals in. Its really quite stupid.

But since its daytime I won't be watching whatever scum suggested, have work to get done. Siding to put up before the rain and a few things to get done once it starts raining.
A number of "Texas Eclipse Festivals" are set-up in the Hill Country. From the rumors I'm hearing this one kinda close to me is getting close to "Woodstock" status!

Texas Eclipse Festival
Originally Posted by pertnear
A number of "Texas Eclipse Festivals" are set-up in the Hill Country. From the rumors I'm hearing this one kinda close to me is getting close to "Woodstock" status!

Texas Eclipse Festival

Yeah, been seeing pics from Reivelle RV park Rave from over there west of Burnet.

The Great Ecliptic Goatphuque of 2024 has started
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I don't understand this pagan celebration. It's an eclipse, who cares?
Exactly. People are fugged up. If this is the highlight of ones life, they are one sad sorry son of a bitch
© 24hourcampfire