Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I have family in Kerrville, they own Gibson's Hardware.

I love that old Gibson's!

About the last one standing. Went in there many times in my youth.
No Sh*t VLB?? Dude you are Royalty!! I have spotted another Gibson's still around....can't recall where but as soon as I saw it joked with the wife that we had to move there.

MY folks lived in Kerrville but sadly passed away these last few years. That Gibsons was Mecca for me. I bought my CZ40P pistol there years ago for something like $250.
When we were changing scopes on Dad's CZ rifle I had to break the original rings that were loctited on. We went there thinking what are the odds they would have rings for a CZ. Gun counter guy looked around and said sorry. As we turned to leave I saw a few more rings on a hook and the very last one was for a CZ so I picked them up. As a result Dad got to hunt a few extra years. Epic place.

My sister lived until this year in Center Point right next to the cemetery and on the same road as Camp Verde. They had 20 acres and we hunted white tail and a lot of axis there. She is moving to Medina to be near my nephew- so fricking lucky.

Her husband's grandfather was a very popular old timer and his grandfather before was first sheriff of the county.

Last edited by kenjs1; 04/07/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RIO7
We had a RV parked in our gateway on the county road last night, couple from New Jersey looking for a place they could park and watch the Eclipse, moved them to the S.Ranch inside the gate safer there and not on the hi-way. nice retired couple, tomorrow is my birthday and we are having a little ranch fiesta at the main barn we are going to bring them up for a little food and give them a taste of S.Texas and watch the eclipse, should be fun. Rio7

Damn, it’s your birthday, thanks for arranging the eclipse, not everybody has the influence to do that 😎

Now…. if you could just pass on a word about the weather……

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Supposed to be cloudy here (central Texas). Their selling moon eclipse glasses on Amazon. Why????

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by kenjs1

No Sh*t VLB?? Dude you are Royalty!! I have spotted another Gibson's still around....can't recall where but as soon as I saw it joked with the wife that we had to move there.

MY folks lived in Kerrville but sadly passed away these last few years. That Gibsons was Mecca for me. I bought my CZ40P pistol there years ago for something like $250.
When we were changing scopes on Dad's CZ rifle I had to break the original rings that were loctited on. We went there thinking what are the odds they would have rings for a CZ. Gun counter guy looked around and said sorry. As we turned to leave I saw a few more rings on a hook and the very last one was for a CZ so I picked them up. As a result Dad got to hunt a few extra years. Epic place.

My sister lived until this year in Center Point right next to the cemetery and on the same road as Camp Verde. They had 20 acres and we hunted white tail and a lot of axis there. She is moving to Medina to be near my nephew- so fricking lucky.

Her husband's grandfather was a very popular old timer and his grandfather before was first sheriff of the county.

Definitely good people there for sure. What's interesting is (at least on my end of the family history), the owners surname is Kemp. Not sure how the Gibson's name came about. I'm sure I'll learn one day, that information predates me by more than a few years.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by victoro
Supposed to be cloudy here (central Texas). Their selling moon eclipse glasses on Amazon. Why????
You and Happy Camper already make your own with Dr Mercola? LOL

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had a RV parked in our gateway on the county road last night, couple from New Jersey looking for a place they could park and watch the Eclipse, moved them to the S.Ranch inside the gate safer there and not on the hi-way. nice retired couple, tomorrow is my birthday and we are having a little ranch fiesta at the main barn we are going to bring them up for a little food and give them a taste of S.Texas and watch the eclipse, should be fun. Rio7

Good in you Rio ! And Happy Birthday!!!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/07/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Several cities and counties have already declared disasters.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news...500-565f8a3d-4956-41be-ab8a-8a4f94ad73c7

Humm. I'm not remembering those declarations for previous solar eclipses.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Definitely good people there for sure. What's interesting is (at least on my end of the family history), the owners surname is Kemp. Not sure how the Gibson's name came about. I'm sure I'll learn one day, that information predates me by more than a few years.

Gibson’s was a chain discount store down here back in the day. I imagine they just kept the name on the store. I always shopped and bought ammo at the Gibson’s on Burnet road in Austin. Theey sold all their centerfire rifle Norma brand ammo @ $4.97 a box! Regardless of cartridge! 🤣

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/07/24.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Gibson’s was a chain discount store down here back in the day. I imagine they just kept the name on the store. I always shopped and bought ammo at the Gibson’s on Burnet road in Austin. Theey sold all their centerfire rifle Norma brand ammo @ $4.97 a box! Regardless of cartridge! 🤣

Yep. Gibson’s was a chain store owned by the Gibson family. It was definitely the best Sporting Goods retailer in the 1960’s and 1970’s, along with all the other stuff they sold. They made Walmart look like schitt.
Unfortunately, Walmart won the chain store wars about 1986 or so.
There’s still a Gibson’s in Weatherford, TX, too. May be a few others in other states, too.
The few current stores left just kept the name “Gibson’s”

They’re not owned by the original family.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Birdwatcher, You can be assured the weather will clear i will send my request in the morning. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdwatcher, You can be assured the weather will clear i will send my request in the morning. Rio7

👍🏻 tks

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can put your zip code in to see what the coverage will be in your area...(if any)

https://www.univision.com/especiales/noticias/infografias/2024/eclipse-solar-2024-en/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Barry.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

👍🏻 tks

They’ve reduced the probability of rain here to 10% for tomorrow. Still supposed to be partly cloudy. Eclipse is supposed to be 97% coverage of the sun, here.

Mike, who was the Comanche “Medicine Man” that told the tribe to stare at the sun all day ??? Seems like he was at the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls ?
And the one that didn’t get along with Quanah Parker, too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

The thought did occur to me that with a couple of Leatherface masks and chain saws you could prank that nice retired couple pretty well 🙂

No worries, they’re from New Jersey, it ain’t like they’ll be packing handguns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

👍🏻 tks

They’ve reduced the probability of rain here to 10% for tomorrow. Still supposed to be partly cloudy. Eclipse is supposed to be 97% coverage of the sun, here.

Mike, who was the Comanche “Medicine Man” that told the tribe to stare at the sun all day ??? Seems like he was at the 2nd Battle of Adobe Walls ?
And the one that didn’t get along with Quanah Parker, too.

Isa-tai, or “Coyote Droppings” depending on who you ask, the bulletproof medicine guy. Him and Quanah became rivals in tribal elections later on.

Sources have it the Sun Dance was not a traditional Comanche ritual, the radicals tried it that summer in search of spiritual mojo at a time when their world was falling apart, one would guess it was supervised by their northern plains friends ( it can be presumed much of what went on on the Indian side of the Frontier never was told to our guys).

Reports say Quanah wanted to go after the hated Tonkawa who, in addition to scouting for MacKenzie, were still eating people, but he got outvoted and they attacked Adobe Walls instead.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do ya think T rump will look straight up at the sun without the glasses like in 2017?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by callnum
Do ya think T rump will look straight up at the sun without the glasses like in 2017?

Could be, I didn’t have any glasses at all during the total in Oaxaca in 1991, neither did my friend. I can still see pretty good 33 years after the fact. We have since lost touch, last time we talked was maybe 1995, no mention of vision damage on her part either.

No mention of blindness epidemics following eclipses in historic times either. I don’t doubt you can damage your retina if you try but I believe the danger is overblown.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 30 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.