Home
Hi Guys:

We have received word of the unbelievable:

It appears that Leupold will shortly discontinue the VXIII and VXL line of scopes! At least one supplier has corroborated the rumor by informing us that our last day to take volume orders for these lines is in August, with orders being filled through November.

We have no firm word on what will be replacing the venerable VXIII line, but we can only assume it's going to be better.

No more VXIIIs !!! confused

I hope either this is a bad rumor, or that they change their minds, but methinks it's true, since it's been corroborated at the supply level.
Whatever the reason, you can guarantee that the result will be a significant price increase on the new ones, and enough used ones hitting the market to keep those with a brain in good glass for YEARS to come.
Gawd, I feel so dirty. I am lamenting.
well, I have a couple but after using a new VX2 with the LRD I was having trouble getting excited about another one.

Well, Maybe one more 2.5-8x36 with the dots....
Last few scopes I bought have been VX III but I'm sure I could get by just fine with the VX II

Will be interesting to see what they have up there sleeve.
I think the improved VXII line put a crimp in the VXIII's. The VXII 3-9 is now equal to the older Vari-X III in the same power range, maybe better. I sure like the VXII 3-9 I have, and wouldn't consider spending the extra Bucks for the same power in a VXIII.
Please keep us posted on what the future holds.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Don
Thanks, Rick, and Leupold, for giving me another reason to feel obsolete! I remember when a friend at Leupold showed me the prototype VXIII and I immediately ordered one (still have it, I think). IIRC, the great technological advance therein was the use of photography-grade anastigmat lenses.

That doesn't seem so long ago.
I suppose change is the name of the game. I'm fine with product changes, but life would be easier for me if the low, mid, and high end units just kept the same model designations. I certainly agree they are getting expensive too. I have a few units where the scope cost more than the rifle. I'd like to pick up a few with the tuned cross hairs for long distance stuff, but they're just a little too steep for me. 1Minute
I'd happily run VX-II models, if only they would make the "outside" of the scope the same as the current VX-III ... I hate the power ring on the VX-II's ... even though I typically leave the scope on somewhere between 4-6x ...

so, I guess it's time for me to pony up and find all the used VX-III 3.5-10x40's I can, seeing as how it's my most favorite hunting glass of all ...

So my question is what's going to be the improvement on the next line that replaces the VXIII?

Turrets?

Spot
You look through the tube; and see open sights.. smile Only they're both in focus ...as is the target. grin
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

So my question is what's going to be the improvement on the next line that replaces the VXIII?

Turrets?

Spot

They snuck into Dogzapper's house, scanned his phenomenal brain, redesigned all the scopes and are refusing to give him credit.

At least, that's my vote.

BMT

Since I'm no longer shopping for another scope, my question is (or soon will be) what's a like-new used VXIII going to be worth?
I have or have had many variations of Leupold scopes. I have about six now, II's and III's. The only one I ever REALLY wanted was a 2.5-8x36, yet I never got one for some odd reason.

Guess I'll have to look one up now, even though I don't need it, I have scopes sitting in the safe now with no gun to go on. A sin, I know.

Bill
Originally Posted by WGM
I guess it's time for me to pony up and find all the used VX-III 3.5-10x40's I can, seeing as how it's my most favorite hunting glass of all ...

+1 My all time favorite also!
Either my eyes are inferior, or they are superior...I never saw a discernable difference between the VX1, 2 or 3.

Cool.

I bought great Vari-X III's when the VXIII came out. Now I'll get to pick up hardly used VXIII's when its replacement shows up.

'aint America great! grin
Rick would you please keep us posted on any further info ie.what's going to replace it and how long till they completely phase them out? powdr
wow...they keeping the VX-7? I figured the VX-L would flop
Taint no surprise on the VXL but the VXIII?
Simple opportunity for Leupold to "improve" upon that line by giving it a small face lift and new price tag. I hope the brain trusts that brought us the venerable VXL aren't on the project team in charge of the NextGen of VXIII's. smile

Rick,

Just last week we hosted a sales meeting for a company that reps for Leupold,I met the Leupold people and tested a couple of products and talked to them at length. They never mentioned this,in fact I was told the VX7 line was selling well and would be expanded soon to include illuminated reticles.

Something here doesn't make sense.

Britt
Any word that they will change/discontinue the 2 x 7 VXII? That is a good scope for the money. As a business decision if they plan a new scope to replace the VXIII for more money its probably not a good economic time to do so.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Since I'm no longer shopping for another scope, my question is (or soon will be) what's a like-new used VXIII going to be worth?

Exactly my question too!

I think the new VX-II's were a discernable improvement over the Vari-X II's, but I don't see the same improvement with the VX-III's.

But the VX/Vari-X III's in 2.5-8 are just the perfect size of scope for my lightweight mountain rigs, and it's the primary reason I still favor them. That and a tad better eye relief than the 3x9's.

Casey
Great! I'm so mad I'm going to sell all of my Leupolds and replace them with Tasco's........at least they never change.
Just a thought but does anyone think this might have something to do with them buying the Redfield brand?

Discontinue the VXIII and the VXL as Leupold products, and poof you rebadge them as Redfield, instant product line, and one that folks will buy.

No eveidence of this, but wouldn't shock me.
Just musing
fwiw & imho,
I've been unimpressed with Leupold for the last five years on a number of fronts. They've provided damned little in the line of optical or mechanical improvements but seem to have concentrated on changing names and increasing prices. I'm not exactly on pins and needles to see what Beaverton is getting ready to hype and market...

Regards, Matt.
Well, I'd been delaying buying another 2.5-8X36, but now the order is in. That should hold me for awhile.
Just a thought: Do you suppose that perhaps Leupold is perhaps going to replace the discontinued models with the once promised, newly redesigned American made Redfields but now wearing a Leupold logo?
I suppose its a reaction to their decreasing share of market. With the new Bushnell, gasp(old baggage), Burris, Weaver, Trijicon, Zeiss Conquest, & Swarovski Z6 providing intense competition it appears some new marketing strategy &/or products are required.
Might be just plain downsizing, cutting the number of models, closing some lines and laying off people. Might be there will be no replacement lines, just fewer products, and of course higher prices. Don't think very many really cared about the VXL anyway! Though I wouldn't mind haveing one of their VX-7's.

Phil
I think the problem is there is too much confusion with the whole vx and vari x designation, there is confusion over which coatings the vx3 has or is it a vari x 3, with the older coatings, it depends on how old the scope is, drop down to the vx 2 and the confusion is even worse. I think its high time to designate their models differently and should have been done long ago. I also think the vx3 has trouble competing with the conquest line at that price point, so maybe they are gonna do something about that.
As far as I'm concerned (and Leupold should be) is the lack of any specs, descriptions, and information on their web site of older model scopes or any links where that information can be found. Seems to me it would be a big + to be able to compair the differences of newer models to older models. Especially with all the after market swaping going on.

Phil
Having never bought a new, non- closeout Leupold, I can't say I care. I do hope that this isn't a sign of poor corporate health on Leupold's part, their warranty service is excellent and they're a cornerstone of Oregon's sporting goods economy.
Interesting, very interesting.

I cannot and won't comment, but this was coming.

Steve
Originally Posted by BMT

Turrets?

Spot

They snuck into Dogzapper's house, scanned his phenomenal brain, redesigned all the scopes and are refusing to give him credit.

At least, that's my vote.

BMT

Dear Friend Brian,

Karen and I got an incredible belly-laugh on that one. Thank you for making our morning.

Your friend Steve
I have been waiting (somewhat) patiently for the technologies of the VX7 30 mm tube line to migrate down to the VXIII line 1" tube scopes, I expect this will be it. I have been making-do with 1" Swarovski and Kahles scopes. I do admit they are not exactly hard to take. wink

jim
I cannot imagine the VXL, or even VX7 are making them a lot of money. Is there really that much of a demand for those two models? Not to mention the Rifleman, which is basically canceled out by the VX1.

Seems like they should streamline a bit.
Originally Posted by HunterJim
I have been waiting (somewhat) patiently for the technologies of the VX7 30 mm tube line to migrate down to the VXIII line 1" tube scopes, I expect this will be it. I have been making-do with 1" Swarovski and Kahles scopes. I do admit they are not exactly hard to take. wink

jim

Jim nailed it.
Someone above said that Leupold hasn't done much recently; well the VX-7 is a VERY excellent scope that was introduced about two years ago. The image the VX-7 delivers is outstanding. I bought the very first one that Rick sold here on the Campfire, and I am very happy to own it. The image from it is outstanding,
I think Jim is on to something with his cmt about the VX-7 technology migrating down to the VXIII line of 1" tube scopes. I personally prefer 1" tubes to 30mm scope tubes, and recently bought a Swarovski 6x42 because it has a 1" tube, with VX-7 quality glass in it. Had Leupold developed and produced a 1" scope 6x42 with the VX-7 glass in it, I would have bought it as opposed to the VERY fine Swaro.
A beautiful rifle deserves a scope with a 1" tube, as opposed to the larger 30mm tube on top. My VX-7 on top of a Ruger MkII just looks BAD. The only advantages to a 30mm tube is more adjustment travel, and a stronger tube, neither of which are needed on today's rifles, at least by me anyway.
Jim, I sure hope you're right...

Don

Not trying to get a debate started, but Leupold in my opinion hasn't done much to keep up with the competition. Take the Sightron Big Sky for example. I think the resolution is better than the current VX3, it has finger adjust, resettable turrets, and a hydrophobic lense coating. And, it is $100 less. That is just an example.

And I like the VX1 line, but I do not understand why any modern scope still uses friction adjustments.
And I like the VX1 line, but I do not understand why any modern scope still uses friction adjustments.

I'd say because most hunters ... including me ... don't care. We're set it and forget it type of folks. Unless you're running turrets why is it important???
Because I have never found a friction adjust that was accurate, you are always guessing. Seriously though, if a crappy Bushnell Sportview has click adjusts 20 years ago, why can't Leupold slap them on too?
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw & imho,
I've been unimpressed with Leupold for the last five years on a number of fronts. They've provided damned little in the line of optical or mechanical improvements but seem to have concentrated on changing names and increasing prices. I'm not exactly on pins and needles to see what Beaverton is getting ready to hype and market...

Regards, Matt.

I'd have to agree......
I don't know the internal mechanics of the friction adjustments vs. the click adjustments ... but I always thought it was a simple matter of the click adjustments being the exact same thing, only with the addition of a "toothed" ring around the adjustment, and a spring loaded ball bearing that "clicks" into the detents in the outer ring, causing the "clicks" ...

by nature of design, they are both simple screws that are threaded to a pitch (and calibrated with markings) such that as you screw up/down, it moves the erector/reticle to make the adjustments you're dialing in ...

point being, if the friction adjustments are inaccurate, the click adjustments would be inaccurate as well ...

The clicks seem to be more desirable because you can make adjustments w/out having to look at the calibrations, because you can 'feel' the clicks, and count them if/when adjusting windage or elevation ...

but yah, for the "zero it and forget it" hunters - which ARE the majority, it should make zero difference which you have, as long as you can get it to your zero, and it stays there ...
Because I have never found a friction adjust that was accurate, you are always guessing.

Then I guess our experiences differ, I have had no problems getting an older Leupie M8 or VariX-II to zero when sighting in ... worse case it may mean an extra group or two for sighting. Not enough for me to fret over.
"Click" adjustments move from one preset setting to another without any provision for intermediate settings that may be preferable.

For example, if your click settings move the point of impact from four inches left of your desired impact to four inches right of it at that far distant range, how can you adjust your scope to zero it on the desired point of impact at that range?

Click adjustments are nice � handy for short ranges � but lose some of their convenience with great increases in distance.

Friction adjustments � not as easy to use, thus less desirable to the lazy or impatient shooter � permit those intermediate settings that enable a scope to be zeroed at long ranges.

Remember, an inch of horizontal or vertical movement at a hundred yards is four inches at four hundred yards. And that limitation of adjustment applies to the center of the group, whose limits established by its out-lying shots are even wider.
Damn,

I thought the click adjustments were the ticket.

Now the VXII looks even better.

Point well expressed Mr. Howell.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
"Click" adjustments move from one preset setting to another without any provision for intermediate settings that may be preferable.

For example, if your click settings move the point of impact from four inches left of your desired impact to four inches right of it at that far distant range, how can you adjust your scope to zero it on the desired point of impact at that range?

Precisely. Friction versus click has always been a half dozen vs 6 of a kind thing for me..........

Of course, I don't use turrets either............

Casey
Oddly enough, the VX1 is the only scope I know of that doesn't have click adjustments.
Originally Posted by DMB

Someone above said that Leupold hasn't done much recently; well the VX-7 is a VERY excellent scope that was introduced about two years ago. The image the VX-7 delivers is outstanding. I bought the very first one that Rick sold here on the Campfire, and I am very happy to own it. The image from it is outstanding,

agree with the VX-7 optical qualities and i like the 30mm tube appearance
Wondering how they're going to improve on the 2.5-8x36.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

No kidding.
This SUCKS. I love those VX-III rifle scopes. The 3.5-10x40 is the all-time best hunting scope on the market today.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the prices on their new scope lineup that they will bring out.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
This SUCKS. I love those VX-III rifle scopes. The 3.5-10x40 is the all-time best hunting scope on the market today.

I totally, 110% agree.

Steve
Looks like their "beancounters" have had their way. They are cutting out the heart and soul of the Leupy line - the VXIII's!
I bet Obama wouldn't approve!
I'm late coming to this thread, but it sounds to me like a marketing decision more than anything else. Thus, the following posts make the most sense:

Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw & imho,

Regards, Matt.

Originally Posted by tbear
I suppose its a reaction to their decreasing share of market. With the new Bushnell, gasp(old baggage), Burris, Weaver, Trijicon, Zeiss Conquest, & Swarovski Z6 providing intense competition it appears some new marketing strategy &/or products are required.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Not trying to get a debate started, but Leupold in my opinion hasn't done much to keep up with the competition. Take the Sightron Big Sky for example. I think the resolution is better than the current VX3, it has finger adjust, resettable turrets, and a hydrophobic lense coating. And, it is $100 less. That is just an example.

It should be no surprise that pressure from the plethora of new sporting optics companies that have hit the marketplace during the last decade or so forces change. That, and Leupold's commitment (yes, I know, not a 100% commitment) to an American-made product is likely pushing them to trim the line and focus on higher end goods in order to compete. Compete or die.

Steve
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by bearstalker

I totally, 110% agree.

Steve

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000^Nth degree ...
I admit to being a Leupold slut: I use 2x and 4x handgun scopes; a 1-4 VX1 on a 44mag carbine; a 4x M8 on a 30-06; a VariX 2 2-7x on a 35 Whelan; A Vari X 3 3.5-10 on a 7mm RM; a VX 3 2.5-8 on a 7/08. I like all of them; I feel comfortable with any on their respective arms. Don't have any idea what Leupold is thinking. Today I was at the range and among the rifles I used was a 257 Roberts with a 2-7 Nikon Monarch (discontinued model) scope. Not to change the thread here, but the old 1 inch Monarchs were/are damned good scopes. and I personally have absolutely zero interest in purchasing a New/improved 30mm Monarch. I suppose Leupold is not alone in in trying to make ends meet. I hope whatever they come up with is a GOOD scope for the money; and we all know that whatever they come up with won't please all of us. Good luck Leupie.

You know they may just be changing the inner parts and changing the name.

What is unique about Leupold? Made in America perhaps? Any other scopes made and assembled here? I can not think of any, maybe some specialized stuff...

Think we may no longer see the made in the USA stamp or the lifetime warranty....

Time will tell,

g

They must have finally got a Conquest and compared it. I did years ago.
Hmmm, a new model takes place of my Vari-X III in 2.5-8 mounted on the Belgian BAR .308? Damn! if they can improve on that little scope, I'd like to see it.

I will agree, from a marketing perspective, Leupold appears to have too many scopes - categories and sub-categories. It may be confusing to the average buyer. They should switch ad companies, because the campaign is getting stale.
Leupold makes an excellent scope, backs it up with a warranty that can't be beat, and is a US company.
Originally Posted by Savage_99

crazy crazy crazy
I think there are two things that I really like about Leupold, that I hope they don't change...

1. Their scopes are lightweight.
2. They have a nice eyebox.

I have always thought their resolution had room for improvement though.

Talked to my buddy yesterday who is a Leupold rep,the VX3 and VXL will be replaced by scopes which are improvements. I suspect they will put the very fine optics of the VX7 line in the one inch tubes of the VX3 line. This will give Leupolds lines in both one inch and 30mm tube models that will compete with the best stuff from Europe.

I bet it turns out to be a good thing,and since the VX2 scopes are as good or better than the old vari x3 line,Leupold will cover pretty much every base from economical to excelent.

Britt
You heard it here first, Britt. wink

I'm anxious to see what follows.

rb

Dropping these variable scopes will give Leupold capacity to bring back the straight 3X.

doesn't seem they are "dropping" the VX-III line, except in name only ... but instead, they are going to make improvements to their flagship line of hunting scopes, and rename it to something else ...

either way, progress is good ... I just hope they don't screw the pooch and end up with an equivalent of the VX-III that now has been slightly improved, but costs 2x as much ...

I could very well hunt the rest of my life with the current VX-III 3.5-10x40 ... it's a shame to see that model (at current spec) go away ...
Originally Posted by WGM
doesn't seem they are "dropping" the VX-III line, except in name only ... but instead, they are going to make improvements to their flagship line of hunting scopes, and rename it to something else

What do you define as "dropping" then? They are changing the name, changing the design, and I am guessing they will also charge more. Seems to me, that is the difinition of being dropped.

I'm reminded again of the simple but always surprising truth that the only thing that ever stays the same is that nothing ever stays the same.

Gdv
Drew ... you're right ... it IS a matter of semantics though, as I see it ...

Since the Leupold scopes of any given designation are constantly being "improved", it's hard to say one way or another ...

I guess I was meaning if they were simply dropping them, and that was that ... I'd say "dropping" ...

but since they are coming out with a new line to replace them, it's simply (to me) the "new VX-III" under a new name ... They COULD have just kept the name, and made the improvements, and you'd end up with the same thing ...

it's just a name to me ... call it what you want, but they are still going to have a "flagship" line of scopes to take the place of the VX-III ...

but again, you're as right as I am ... likely more so, in a literal sense ...
I am not sure what they will even name it, seems odd to name something a VX7, when there isn't a VX5, or VX6, LOL.

I do know that in the past it did get confusing for people as to which version of VX2 etc they had. First it was a vari-x-II, then it was a vari-x-IIc, then it was a VXII, but then they changed the lense coatings, so it was a newer VXII, etc, etc, etc.

there are even variations in the lens coatings between exact same model names and numbers, depending on how old the scope is ... they HAVE made it very confusing, unless you really follow it closely, and/or call them with scope serial numbers to have them research it and find out for you ...

anyway, amazing isn't it Drew ... that you and I are having a civil conversation? ... (grin)
Yes, my good friends at Big L will be discontinuing those models in their current guise, but will replace them with something better and more capable. They feel it is a good idea to continue to innovate, and in the five years since they last upgraded the VX-3 and in the 3 since they introduced the VX-L, they think they have found some improvements they can make that will take already excellent scopes and make them even better in all regards.
Of course, these improvements come at a slightly higher price.

Does this make sense?

I'd say yes.

I'll be interested to see what the new VX-III replacement will sell for. A basic, duplex 3.5-10x40 already sells for $479. If the new scope sells for much more than that, count me out...I'll stick to VX-IIs.

If however, they can offer some slight improvements like the pop-up turrets on the VX-7 and improved glass and still keep it around $500 I think they'll have a winner (assuming they keep the eye-box, eye-relief, size, weight, etc. of the current VX-IIIs).

-Dan
Has it occurred to anyone that they may need to have something that competes with the features of the Bushnell 6500 series...notice I said "features". This is the new thing in optics and will be what everyone will change over to, just to keep pace.

Loopy has WAY too many lines and variations of scopes, trying to provide a seat for every azz. They needed to trim down, and maybe a new scope...an improvement on an already good scope...can become the bread & butter of their product line, a scope with a good eyebox that has sufficient eye relief and power ranges like the Bushnell 6500s??? whistle
And they better weigh the same or a little less.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Talked to my buddy yesterday who is a Leupold rep,the VX3 and VXL will be replaced by scopes which are improvements. I suspect they will put the very fine optics of the VX7 line in the one inch tubes of the VX3 line. This will give Leupolds lines in both one inch and 30mm tube models that will compete with the best stuff from Europe.

I bet it turns out to be a good thing,and since the VX2 scopes are as good or better than the old vari x3 line,Leupold will cover pretty much every base from economical to excelent.

Britt
well Britt and Rick, I love my VX-7, if they put those optics and features in a 1" scope then I might have to buy another rifle for one!! HA
Originally Posted by SAKO75
well Britt and Rick, I love my VX-7, if they put those optics and features in a 1" scope then I might have to buy another rifle for one!! HA

With you buddy, I will believe that when I see it. wink
Originally Posted by clark98ut
I'll be interested to see what the new VX-III replacement will sell for. A basic, duplex 3.5-10x40 already sells for $479. If the new scope sells for much more than that, count me out...I'll stick to VX-IIs.

If however, they can offer some slight improvements like the pop-up turrets on the VX-7 and improved glass and still keep it around $500 I think they'll have a winner (assuming they keep the eye-box, eye-relief, size, weight, etc. of the current VX-IIIs).

-Dan

Good call Dan. Right with ya bud.

Originally Posted by SKane

-Dan

Good call Dan. Right with ya bud.

I hope you guys are right, but I don't see that happening. Increased prices of raw materials, and fule prices are driving the cost of everything up. I personally think that the prices will be in the $750 and up range.
Originally Posted by 1minute
. . . I have a few units where the scope cost more than the rifle.
Betcha can't beat this: I have a ~$300 Leupold 2.5x28mm IER Scout Scope on a ~$70 Mosin-Nagant M38.
I think you're right Don.
Originally Posted by DMB
I hope you guys are right, but I don't see that happening. Increased prices of raw materials, and fule prices are driving the cost of everything up. I personally think that the prices will be in the $750 and up range.

Yep, I think you're right and at that price point, count me out. Too rich for my blood. Besides, a VX-II will do everything I need done in the field.
Originally Posted by DMB

I think that is part of Loopy's problem. The competitors are offering a lot of scope, for less money. I know I keep mentioning the Sightron Big Sky, but it is a lot of scope for $335. I know it is kind of an unknown brand, but once I tried it, I felt like the Loopy's were a ripoff.
Originally Posted by DMB

I personally think that the prices will be in the $750 and up range.

There is a lot of guessing going on with only half the story told so far.

So here is my guess. I think that Leupold is lost without an answer to the Zeiss Conquest which currently eats their lunch performance and price wise.

Leupold will have to come up with a scope that has the glare control and definition of a Conquest otherwise they are just another old name.

Originally Posted by DMB

Yep, I think you're right and at that price point, count me out. Too rich for my blood. Besides, a VX-II will do everything I need done in the field.

I'm with you on the VX-II. It is a very fine scope, and I have two of them. Based on how good they are, I just can't get excited about buying a VX-III.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the 3.5-10x40 VX-III (I probably have 5 of them). That and the FX-III 6x42 are all my hunting rigs wear.

With that said, I don't think I've ever paid full retail for any of the 3.5-10s, and if the price goes up substantially, I can guarantee you I won't be buying a new one. Not when a VX-II 3-9x40 sells for under $300.
Personally, I prefer the VXIII to the VXII by a good bit (power ring, optics, aesthetics, options, 2.5-8X36 laugh , etc.). If anything they replace the VXIII with moves up more than ~10% in price, I will be using alot more Conquests, etc., down the road. I have a couple of Conquest 3-9's, and I think they are slightly better optically but aesthetics and weight advantages go to the VXIII 3.5-10 (I have a couple of these as well) IMHO. If the prices start to spread even further though, I will be leaning hard in other directions as $500 is kinda my breakpoint - too many good scopes below that point to get very excited about anything above that point.
Originally Posted by TXRam
Personally, I prefer the VXIII to the VXII by a good bit (power ring, optics, aesthetics, options, 2.5-8X36 laugh , etc.). If anything they replace the VXIII with moves up more than ~10% in price, I will be using alot more Conquests, etc., down the road. I have a couple of Conquest 3-9's, and I think they are slightly better optically but aesthetics and weight advantages go to the VXIII 3.5-10 (I have a couple of these as well) IMHO. If the prices start to spread even further though, I will be leaning hard in other directions as $500 is kinda my breakpoint - too many good scopes below that point to get very excited about anything above that point.

Ditto!
You guys have lost me. I've given up on keeping up with all the various Leupold numbers for their scopes. Here is what I want to see... scopes that DON'T have to have a coin to adjust. Weaver was doing that years ago with a simple dial. The very BEST glass that can be bought bar none. None of this 30mm tube crap. Keep the "forever" warranty. Stop saying "American" made since the glass is not from America. My guess is that I have about 15 to 20 Leupold scopes from 6.5 to 20 and all in between and even a couple of fixed 12x40's so I like the product. As many Leupolds as I have I can't remember all the numbers any more as I said before. Keep it simple Leupold!
Originally Posted by DMB

So here is my guess. I think that Leupold will lost without an answer to the Zeiss Conquest which currently eats their lunch performance and price wise.

Leupold will have to come up with a scope that has the glare control and definition of a Conquest otherwise they are just another old name.

GAWD .... and you guys bash E!!! .... Talk about the same old song over and over!!
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by DMB

So here is my guess. I think that Leupold will lost without an answer to the Zeiss Conquest which currently eats their lunch performance and price wise.

GAWD .... and you guys bash E!!! .... Talk about the same old song over and over!!

George,

My take is that 99 hasn't ever looked through a Leupold VX-7, or anything better than a Conquest, let alone evaluated any of the BEST scopes compared the a Conquest. The VX-7 kicks ass, as do S&B's and Swaro's. Never looked thru a high end Zeiss, so no cmts about them.
Indeed its the Conquest thats eating Leupolds VX3 lunch in my view.

So high end aside as thats not the VX3 price range nor are high end scopes a big market. Leupold needs to find a product that performs like a Conquest or better.

I have looked through a S&B and its fabulous and I have two high end Zeiss scopes besides a Unertl 15X Ultra Varmint.

My take is that Leupold kept up grading the same old Vari-x design and they need to drop it and copy Zeiss.
The Conquest is heavier and has less eye relief. Might be OK for a guy like ole Savage who's rifles never see the field. Give me a Leupold any day.
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I hope either this is a bad rumor, or that they change their minds, but methinks it's true, since it's been corroborated at the supply level.
Rick I respect and love ya by tha pound, but Leupold should get rid or discontinue the VXIII and VXL line ESPECIALLY the VXIII, reason? Is because they ain't worth a quarter.
I have a VXIII that is no clearer than my VariX-III and that is just a shame MAYBE I got a good VariX-III, but I have never seen a VXIII clearer, so hopefully Leupold will have a NEW line that will be worth buying as per the optics/glass because they aren't hitting on nothing with the VXIII... I take that back the warrenty is good... wink
Right back atcha Popapi! wink

I'm a big fan of the 2.5-8x36. I hope that whatever comes next has a scope in that class. I'd hate to lose the overall utility of that scope for some new bells an whistles.

rb
put the newest glass/coatings in (what was) the VX-III line ... offer either low-profile or "pop-up" capped turrets as standard fare ... and (whatever this means) update the internal mechanics to make them even more true/repeatable ... and offer ANY/ALL reticle options available from Leupold ...

do that, and you'll truly have the best hunting scope ever made, if you ask me ...

but then again, what the hell do I know ... (grin)
Right back atcha Popapi! wink

I'm a big fan of the 2.5-8x36. I hope that whatever comes next has a scope in that class. I'd hate to lose the overall utility of that scope for some new bells an whistles.

rb
They will or should I say I hope so, being that so many people like the 2.5-8x36 I think they(Leupold) would shoot themselves in the feet if they didn't...
Not a bad idea WDubya...

rb

Plus one.

Interesting. I only have the one Conquest, and it's a very nice scope, but cranked up to 10x it exhibits POOR glare control, compared to my VX-III's.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what "glare control" is, which is completely possible! grin
I am looking for the new VX8 line to have a 3-9X40 that weighs under 12 oz. and fits on a standard size action, all in a 1" tube with the glass and coatings now in the VX7. It will come with the standard Leup. warranty of course. They will make other units too, but this format sells for a reason.

jim
Jim, if they brought in that unit under four bills street price they would fly off the shelves.
More fixed power scopes; including a 3x long tube.

A meaningful, non- battery operated illuminated reticle. I really enjoy my two Trijicons, but if I could get the same performance from a Leupold it would be a no- brainer for me to buy from Leupold.

They're still the best game going for used scopes though; likely will be for as long as they honor their warranty.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
More fixed power scopes; including a 3x long tube.

A meaningful, non- battery operated illuminated reticle. I really enjoy my two Trijicons, but if I could get the same performance from a Leupold it would be a no- brainer for me to buy from Leupold.

They're still the best game going for used scopes though; likely will be for as long as they honor their warranty.

AMEN!!! Right on.
Breaking news - to hopefully calm down the mourning crowd:

They - VXIII and VXL - will NOT go away,
but the current model will be discontinued and replaced.

Whatever that means...
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER

Whatever that means...

ROE,

Good information.

Thanks for the update.

Don
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER

Whatever that means...

RD,

That makes me think they will be like the M70 Winchester line changes: jack up the name and slide a new product underneath. wink

jim
A thought on pricing, not that it makes me happy.
But, if Leupold is going to have the VX-7 glass/coating technology incorporated in a "new VX-III" series of scopes, I think a look at the current pricing for the VX-7 series should privide an indication of what's to come, for this new VX-III pricing.
From what ROE_DEER said, it looks like Leupold won't be introducing fixed power scopes, at lease initially, just new VX-III's and VX-L's; both are variables. I think the high price for the VX-7, and the new series to come, is based on a much higher cost of the erector and lens assemblies that Leupold buys from vendors as complete assemblies. Otherwise, the VX-7's wouldn't be over a thousand dollars as it is now. I think the high cost of the new glass and coatings will be the cost driver.
one can assume that leupold will replace the vx3 with an even better scope. if so, great. if not, there are plenty of other quality scopes to select from. no need for concern imo.
Everything points to Leupold improving the VX-III line up. The VX-7 technology is a natural to use for the upgrade, and incorporating that into the new line will cost added money. One thing that might ameliorate the pricing is, Leupold may have a larger volume of projected sales for the new VX-III's, upon which to spread the fixed costs, which may lower the unit prices of scopes.

Let's hope,

Don
Originally Posted by DMB

So here is my guess. I think that Leupold is lost without an answer to the Zeiss Conquest which currently eats their lunch performance and price wise.

Everytime I see a Savage_99 post, the movie Rain Man comes to mind. There's NWIH the Conquest eats the Leupold lunch. Take a poll here Don, go ahead.....Two minutes to Wapner, definitely two minutes.....
Leupold scopes were already very good and very reliable.

More competition is in the process of making them even better.

So why not rejoice?
I am excited to see what's new, and will be there when it comes out to have a look with money in hand. I am one of the latest greatest guys (there is no help). grin
It would be cool if...
the vx3 got vx7 glass
the vx2 got vx3 glass and
the vx1 got vx2 glass.
All about price point---the new ones will be cheaper to make and sell for more. More margin for Loopy and less scope for the suckers that buy them. Jezz would think people would catch on.

Loopy is considered a mid line scope now and as long as folks shell out the money for a product that is behind the competition they will smile all the way to the bank...
Originally Posted by knight
I am excited to see what's new, and will be there when it comes out to have a look with money in hand. I am one of the latest greatest guys (there is no help). grin

Me too! Maybe they're finally going to come out with a lefthand model!
I would wish that the next step in technology would be to produce VXIII optics, erector system, etc at VXI prices. I know that better optics is BETTER but at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns. I primarily hunt big game with an occasional coyote. I realize that if you are shooting PDs at 1 mile resolution is a factor, but I don't need to count the hair on a deers back at 200 yards, I simply need a RELIABLE aiming device to help me hit said deer or elk or ....etc. In this day of better jobs going over seas, fewer jobs, fixed incomes etc, how are we going to keep up with the spiraling cost of shooting. I would rather pay $2000 for a good binocular than for $2000 scopes for all my rifles - simply can't afford that anymore.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I would wish that the next step in technology would be to produce VXIII optics, erector system, etc at VXI prices. I know that better optics is BETTER but at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns. I primarily hunt big game with an occasional coyote. I realize that if you are shooting PDs at 1 mile resolution is a factor, but I don't need to count the hair on a deers back at 200 yards, I simply need a RELIABLE aiming device to help me hit said deer or elk or ....etc. In this day of better jobs going over seas, fewer jobs, fixed incomes etc, how are we going to keep up with the spiraling cost of shooting. I would rather pay $2000 for a good binocular than for $2000 scopes for all my rifles - simply can't afford that anymore.

+1
+2 ...
I'm waiting on Rick's big "Clearance of Discontinued Items" sale, priced to move! grin

++++++++++

Doc
Originally Posted by DMB

With the dollar devauation the Zeiss Scope line was forced to a $50.00 plus price increase for 2008. If the newer VXIII line is of the same clarity as Zeiss they will recapture some U.S. market share.

Doc
Originally Posted by Blackbird
All about price point---the new ones will be cheaper to make and sell for more. More margin for Loopy and less scope for the suckers that buy them. Jezz would think people would catch on.

Loopy is considered a mid line scope now and as long as folks shell out the money for a product that is behind the competition they will smile all the way to the bank...

You really should invest your own money to start a company that makes a scope anywhere as good as a VX-III and sell them for $450. Report back with word of how rich your getting.

Standing by.
Loopie will drop the 1930s focus system and copy the Conquest.
MC4 will go away finally to be replaced with diamondcoat 1 a cheeper version of diamondcoat 2 the current coating they buy from there supplyers for the VX-7.
The new scope will be called the VX-6 and will be cheeper than the VX-7,but more expensive than current models.
Really just a copy of the Conquest.Its there only move.Oh they will come out with some slick adds as always."Good thing the Germans still make beer" and crap like that.But there so far behind now,all they can do is copy the euros.
Sad.
dave
Dave,

Interesting, and plausable..
Too bad they don't go the whole way with Diamondcoat 2 ???
Leupy does have a huge advantage with their long eye relief, and large eye box however; plus the great warranty.
the guy at Leupold I axed today said they were still in production, course he could have been mouthing the company line...
Sounds like the old change from VariX-III to VXIII to me. I bet the new ones are called VX4 and the main feature is an upgrade in price.
Its laughable to see what the "zeiss pimps" burp up here from time to time!
I will happily, wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with the "based on rationality and real life experiences and unbiased observations" of those like Dog Zapper, Bearstalker, WGM and jds44, ALONG with myself, when they (we) espouse the splendid qualities and performance AND reliabilty of the VX-III 3.5x10x40 - along with so many other of Leupolds scope offerings!!!
I would not consider selling ANY of my Leupolds for a zeiss!
Any blithering and drooling type that burps up that the Conquest will eat the Leupolds lunch is just blithering and drooling!
Rainmen indeed!
You "Raymond" types go get some real experiences, extensive experiences, experiences in varied climes and rugged conditions with both scopes - then report back in about a decade!
There IS a reason that Leupold is the best selling scope in the world!
If you "Raymond" and "pimp" types can't figure it out its your problem and no loss to anyone but yourselves!
Long live Leupold!
Buy American!
Down with the zeig heil zeiss pimps!
Keep the great scopes and the outstanding lineup of offerings COMING there Leupold!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VG good point I know some of those pimps on here are always ranting on the S&B's bashing B & L and Leupold. Then a few weeks later you're reading their posts and you find out they now claim to be Leupold and B & L 6500 owners. Lot of barn yard smells in the air here on the Campfire. LOL
I replaced my Vari-XIII's with B&L 4000 and Bushnell 4200's approximately 13 years ago now and haven't one thought it was a mistake. For me, they perform better all the way around. Got tired of being disappointed with old scopes bearing new names and catchy buzz words.

Roy
I LOVE my VX-7...
I am waiting for the VX7 technology to appear in a 1" tube scope. I just prefer the 1" to the 30 mm tube: for me it just looks proper. wink

jim

I'm with HunterJim on this one.

Just about every rifle I have has a VX-III on it.

They thing that will get me to move is the protected Turret.

Spot
The weight of the VX-7 as I move toward comparatively lighter rifles keeps me from seriously considering them. I'm staying with VariXs and VXs until the weight comes down in the next gen VX-?
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
The weight of the VX-7 as I move toward comparatively lighter rifles keeps me from seriously considering them. I'm staying with VariXs and VXs until the weight comes down in the next gen VX-?

Good point about the weight issue.
I was sorry Leupold didn't come out with the VX-7 glass/coatings in a 1" tube, rather than the 30mm tube. And, being a fixed power scope guy, I would have wanted them to do a 4x and 6x fixed power with that good glass. But, wanting the VX-7 glass, I went for a 1.5-6x. It's just too imposing on the Ruger 77 I have it mounted on though.
I'm dragging my feet now, waiting for the new VX series as I would like to have another Leupold for some of the Rem 722's I'm collecting. I'll go with another variable as long as it's a 1" tube, with the good glass.
Wonder when Leupold is going to start deliveries?
This thread has been an interesting read....a buddy and I were talking about this and he thought they'd be replacing the VX III line with something completely different.
It will be interesting to see what they do to replace the VX-III.
Looking at the Leupold site and the VX3 is still featured right there.

Not only that but as Mule Deer pointed out that the VX L is selling there is a picture of one on the page.
I talked to the leupold sales rep. He conformed that the vx-lll is done. They are going to make some improvements on it and give it a new name.
Live long and Prosper VarmintGuy.
I couldn�t have said it any better.

30-30 Man
I couldn't wait to see what Leupold comes out with to replace the VXIII...bought one to put on a rifle for coyote hunting...I guess I don't have to have the latest and greatest...cause I think this VXIII is GREAT! But I will be watching to see what they do to top it!
any word on what the new product will be like yet or is it buried somewhere in the 8 pages of discussion laugh
is leupold discontinuing the VX-7?
A quick search of this forum turned up nothing on the sale of Redfield (from Meade) to Leupold back in April 2008. I guess I'll jump in with some wild speculation.

Meade bought Redfield several years ago and tried to launch a high end scope line under the Redfield name. They ran into problems and product release was postponed indefintely. I assumed when I read that Leupold bought the rights to Redfield that their purpose was to kill the Redfield line before someone else got hold of it.

If this rumor of Leupold discontinuing the VXIII and VXL lines is true, then I have to reconsider that Leupold might actually do something with the Redfield brand. This would be pure marketing and branding strategy - I doubt that Redfield had any technology or intellectual property (other than the name) that Leupold didn't have or couldn't "acquire" by some means.
VAnimrod quotes J Story.

I have been looking for a copy of Story's Commentaries on the Constitution. Do you know where I can pick up one?

May I introduce myself to the regulars. I am newly registered and can be identified as the father of Isaac.

rliss58
I'll be happy to see if I can source one of Story's Commentaries for you. Gratis.

Isaac (Bob), is a very dear friend, and he's spoken quite highly of you (as he should).

It'll be my pleasure to meet you, eventually.

-Sean
Originally Posted by rliss

May I introduce myself to the regulars. I am newly registered and can be identified as the father of Isaac.

rliss58

Welcome aboard you old SPAD driver you! grin
Thank you very much. New to the territory as I am, how do you guys get to know each other further than user names?

Is this considered to be a pm? Does one use real names in these?

rliss
Thank you. Not many know about that Spad driver stuff anymore. Are you a now or former flyer?

rliss
Originally Posted by rliss
Thank you very much. New to the territory as I am, how do you guys get to know each other further than user names?

Is this considered to be a pm? Does one use real names in these?

rliss

I've hunted with your son. Well, at least when the weather is decent enough for him to actually show up.........
You'll see a flashing envelope on up by the top of the page. Click on that and it will open your private messages. Sent you on with a couple other people on it including Bob.
I see NatchezSS has the VX III's on sale in the new monthly, Hummm?
I just read a Cabelas catalog showing VXIII scopes on sale "while supplies last".

jim
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura
A quick search of this forum turned up nothing on the sale of Redfield (from Meade) to Leupold back in April 2008. I guess I'll jump in with some wild speculation.

Meade bought Redfield several years ago and tried to launch a high end scope line under the Redfield name. They ran into problems and product release was postponed indefintely. I assumed when I read that Leupold bought the rights to Redfield that their purpose was to kill the Redfield line before someone else got hold of it.

If this rumor of Leupold discontinuing the VXIII and VXL lines is true, then I have to reconsider that Leupold might actually do something with the Redfield brand. This would be pure marketing and branding strategy - I doubt that Redfield had any technology or intellectual property (other than the name) that Leupold didn't have or couldn't "acquire" by some means.

Didn't Meade have that newer variable scope technology that they incorporated into the new Redfield line? Supposed to be an improvement over current variable scope technology.
ya it is good
I just read a Cabelas catalog showing VXIII scopes on sale "while supplies last".

jim

Hmmm, sounds like the introduction of the new scopes nears. Maybe the first of the year????
Sale at Midway starting too.... Rick are you going to be selling them at marked down price too?
Press Release:

BEAVERTON, Ore. � Leupold� has a new flagship line of riflescopes with multiple advanced features and superior optical performance � the all-new VX�-3 and VX-3L� riflescopes. The new line lists a new lens system and models with the Light Optimization Profile� among the enhancements.
All VX-3/VX-3L riflescopes feature Leupold�s Xtended Twilight Lens System�. The system uses index matched glass with proprietary lens coatings that rebalance blue and purple wavelengths to provide hunters with an even brighter, sharper image in low-light conditions.
�Progress and development should never stop,� commented Mike Slack, Leupold�s marketing communications manager. �The VX-3 is a leap forward in the areas of mechanical reliability, light management, and ruggedness. Hunters and shooters are going to love all the new features the line has to offer.�
Other new features for the VX-3/VX-3L include cryogenically treated, Titanium-Nitride coated, high-strength aluminum adjustment dials and Leupold�s most durable dual spring erector system. This combination of features makes the VX-3/VX-3L riflescopes more rugged than ever before.
The VX-3L models feature the Light Optimization Profile � the cut crescent shape made famous by the VX-L�. The crescent delivers maximum Total Light Throughput�, yet allows a lower mount for proper cheek weld and faster target acquisition.
Other new key features to the line include:
� Second generation Argon/Krypton waterproofing � Leupold�s exclusive internal gas blend and the last word in thermal shock resistance, keeping the riflescope fog proof as well as waterproof
� Blackened lens edges � eliminates residual refraction and minimizes the effects of stray light for maximum photopic transmission, clarity and contrast
� DiamondCoat 2� � ion-assist lens coating provides higher light transmission while supplying the highest level of abrasion resistance Leupold offers
The new riflescopes are offered in configurations from 1.5-5x20mm, which is ideal for dangerous game and close range shooting, all the way to 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target which is ideal for long range varminting and competition shooting. The riflescopes feature a one-inch maintube and �-MOA adjustments for both windage and elevation, with selected models having finer adjustments and/or 30mm maintubes. Users can choose between a wide selection of reticles, appropriate for virtually any hunting or shooting need. All VX-3/VX-3L riflescopes are backed by Leupold�s Full Lifetime Guarantee.
Leupold & Stevens, Inc., the most prominent American-owned and -operated optics company, employs more than 650 people in its state-of-the-art Beaverton, Ore., facility where rugged, dependable, high-performance Golden Ring� sports optics are designed, machined and assembled. Leupold is a fifth-generation, family-owned company whose products are sold worldwide to hunters, wildlife observers, competitive shooters, law enforcement officers and special operations military personnel. The product line includes rifle, handgun and spotting scopes; binoculars; rangefinders; flashlights; mounting systems; and optical tools and accessories.

End Press Release
Don,

Thanks for putting that press release up; I was looking for Leup. to get technology from the 30 mm VX7 line down to the 1" VXIII, now the VX3 line.

The performance on these scopes will have to be seen to be believed...

jim
Anyone have the fixed models on sale?
I love Leupold, they are by far the dominant scopes in my safe, but.....they better watch their butts on price increases. there is a lot of competition out there.
Originally Posted by publiuss
I love Leupold, they are by far the dominant scopes in my safe, but.....they better watch their butts on price increases. there is a lot of competition out there.

I see this is your first posting! WELCOME aboard. Come around often.
My personal take is that if Leupold has a good product, it will sell. That VX-7 I have in 1.5-6x has an image equal to the high end Euro scopes. I'll buy one of the new Leupy's because it will have good glass, and it will have a 1" tube which is important to me.

jim

I called Cabelas on the 5th and ordered a VXIII 3.5-10 40 stainless with a B&C reticle. Should have it tomorrow. smile
FYI, most of the VX-III scopes Cabelas had on there website for sale now show "sold out". However if you find the same scope in one of the stores and you take a copy of the web page ad with you, Cabelas will price match and give you the sale price on the one in the store. I did this yesteday on a 1.5-5 scope.
Any word yet when the new ones are coming out?
don't you long for the good old days when a scope was an accessory for a rifle instead of the other way around?
© 24hourcampfire