Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rick,

Just last week we hosted a sales meeting for a company that reps for Leupold,I met the Leupold people and tested a couple of products and talked to them at length. They never mentioned this,in fact I was told the VX7 line was selling well and would be expanded soon to include illuminated reticles.

Something here doesn't make sense.

Britt

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Any word that they will change/discontinue the 2 x 7 VXII? That is a good scope for the money. As a business decision if they plan a new scope to replace the VXIII for more money its probably not a good economic time to do so.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Since I'm no longer shopping for another scope, my question is (or soon will be) what's a like-new used VXIII going to be worth?

Exactly my question too!

I think the new VX-II's were a discernable improvement over the Vari-X II's, but I don't see the same improvement with the VX-III's.

But the VX/Vari-X III's in 2.5-8 are just the perfect size of scope for my lightweight mountain rigs, and it's the primary reason I still favor them. That and a tad better eye relief than the 3x9's.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Great! I'm so mad I'm going to sell all of my Leupolds and replace them with Tasco's........at least they never change.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a thought but does anyone think this might have something to do with them buying the Redfield brand?

Discontinue the VXIII and the VXL as Leupold products, and poof you rebadge them as Redfield, instant product line, and one that folks will buy.

No eveidence of this, but wouldn't shock me.
Just musing

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw & imho,
I've been unimpressed with Leupold for the last five years on a number of fronts. They've provided damned little in the line of optical or mechanical improvements but seem to have concentrated on changing names and increasing prices. I'm not exactly on pins and needles to see what Beaverton is getting ready to hype and market...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I'd been delaying buying another 2.5-8X36, but now the order is in. That should hold me for awhile.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a thought: Do you suppose that perhaps Leupold is perhaps going to replace the discontinued models with the once promised, newly redesigned American made Redfields but now wearing a Leupold logo?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I suppose its a reaction to their decreasing share of market. With the new Bushnell, gasp(old baggage), Burris, Weaver, Trijicon, Zeiss Conquest, & Swarovski Z6 providing intense competition it appears some new marketing strategy &/or products are required.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Might be just plain downsizing, cutting the number of models, closing some lines and laying off people. Might be there will be no replacement lines, just fewer products, and of course higher prices. Don't think very many really cared about the VXL anyway! Though I wouldn't mind haveing one of their VX-7's.

Phil

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the problem is there is too much confusion with the whole vx and vari x designation, there is confusion over which coatings the vx3 has or is it a vari x 3, with the older coatings, it depends on how old the scope is, drop down to the vx 2 and the confusion is even worse. I think its high time to designate their models differently and should have been done long ago. I also think the vx3 has trouble competing with the conquest line at that price point, so maybe they are gonna do something about that.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As far as I'm concerned (and Leupold should be) is the lack of any specs, descriptions, and information on their web site of older model scopes or any links where that information can be found. Seems to me it would be a big + to be able to compair the differences of newer models to older models. Especially with all the after market swaping going on.

Phil

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Having never bought a new, non- closeout Leupold, I can't say I care. I do hope that this isn't a sign of poor corporate health on Leupold's part, their warranty service is excellent and they're a cornerstone of Oregon's sporting goods economy.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, very interesting.

I cannot and won't comment, but this was coming.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

So my question is what's going to be the improvement on the next line that replaces the VXIII?

Turrets?

Spot

They snuck into Dogzapper's house, scanned his phenomenal brain, redesigned all the scopes and are refusing to give him credit.

At least, that's my vote.

BMT

Dear Friend Brian,

Karen and I got an incredible belly-laugh on that one. Thank you for making our morning.

Your friend Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been waiting (somewhat) patiently for the technologies of the VX7 30 mm tube line to migrate down to the VXIII line 1" tube scopes, I expect this will be it. I have been making-do with 1" Swarovski and Kahles scopes. I do admit they are not exactly hard to take. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I cannot imagine the VXL, or even VX7 are making them a lot of money. Is there really that much of a demand for those two models? Not to mention the Rifleman, which is basically canceled out by the VX1.

Seems like they should streamline a bit.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by HunterJim
I have been waiting (somewhat) patiently for the technologies of the VX7 30 mm tube line to migrate down to the VXIII line 1" tube scopes, I expect this will be it. I have been making-do with 1" Swarovski and Kahles scopes. I do admit they are not exactly hard to take. wink

jim

Jim nailed it.
Someone above said that Leupold hasn't done much recently; well the VX-7 is a VERY excellent scope that was introduced about two years ago. The image the VX-7 delivers is outstanding. I bought the very first one that Rick sold here on the Campfire, and I am very happy to own it. The image from it is outstanding,
I think Jim is on to something with his cmt about the VX-7 technology migrating down to the VXIII line of 1" tube scopes. I personally prefer 1" tubes to 30mm scope tubes, and recently bought a Swarovski 6x42 because it has a 1" tube, with VX-7 quality glass in it. Had Leupold developed and produced a 1" scope 6x42 with the VX-7 glass in it, I would have bought it as opposed to the VERY fine Swaro.
A beautiful rifle deserves a scope with a 1" tube, as opposed to the larger 30mm tube on top. My VX-7 on top of a Ruger MkII just looks BAD. The only advantages to a 30mm tube is more adjustment travel, and a stronger tube, neither of which are needed on today's rifles, at least by me anyway.
Jim, I sure hope you're right...

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not trying to get a debate started, but Leupold in my opinion hasn't done much to keep up with the competition. Take the Sightron Big Sky for example. I think the resolution is better than the current VX3, it has finger adjust, resettable turrets, and a hydrophobic lense coating. And, it is $100 less. That is just an example.

And I like the VX1 line, but I do not understand why any modern scope still uses friction adjustments.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I like the VX1 line, but I do not understand why any modern scope still uses friction adjustments.

I'd say because most hunters ... including me ... don't care. We're set it and forget it type of folks. Unless you're running turrets why is it important???

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,524
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.