Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Because I have never found a friction adjust that was accurate, you are always guessing. Seriously though, if a crappy Bushnell Sportview has click adjusts 20 years ago, why can't Leupold slap them on too?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw & imho,
I've been unimpressed with Leupold for the last five years on a number of fronts. They've provided damned little in the line of optical or mechanical improvements but seem to have concentrated on changing names and increasing prices. I'm not exactly on pins and needles to see what Beaverton is getting ready to hype and market...

Regards, Matt.

I'd have to agree......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know the internal mechanics of the friction adjustments vs. the click adjustments ... but I always thought it was a simple matter of the click adjustments being the exact same thing, only with the addition of a "toothed" ring around the adjustment, and a spring loaded ball bearing that "clicks" into the detents in the outer ring, causing the "clicks" ...

by nature of design, they are both simple screws that are threaded to a pitch (and calibrated with markings) such that as you screw up/down, it moves the erector/reticle to make the adjustments you're dialing in ...

point being, if the friction adjustments are inaccurate, the click adjustments would be inaccurate as well ...

The clicks seem to be more desirable because you can make adjustments w/out having to look at the calibrations, because you can 'feel' the clicks, and count them if/when adjusting windage or elevation ...

but yah, for the "zero it and forget it" hunters - which ARE the majority, it should make zero difference which you have, as long as you can get it to your zero, and it stays there ...

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because I have never found a friction adjust that was accurate, you are always guessing.

Then I guess our experiences differ, I have had no problems getting an older Leupie M8 or VariX-II to zero when sighting in ... worse case it may mean an extra group or two for sighting. Not enough for me to fret over.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Click" adjustments move from one preset setting to another without any provision for intermediate settings that may be preferable.

For example, if your click settings move the point of impact from four inches left of your desired impact to four inches right of it at that far distant range, how can you adjust your scope to zero it on the desired point of impact at that range?

Click adjustments are nice � handy for short ranges � but lose some of their convenience with great increases in distance.

Friction adjustments � not as easy to use, thus less desirable to the lazy or impatient shooter � permit those intermediate settings that enable a scope to be zeroed at long ranges.

Remember, an inch of horizontal or vertical movement at a hundred yards is four inches at four hundred yards. And that limitation of adjustment applies to the center of the group, whose limits established by its out-lying shots are even wider.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Damn,

I thought the click adjustments were the ticket.

Now the VXII looks even better.

Point well expressed Mr. Howell.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
"Click" adjustments move from one preset setting to another without any provision for intermediate settings that may be preferable.

For example, if your click settings move the point of impact from four inches left of your desired impact to four inches right of it at that far distant range, how can you adjust your scope to zero it on the desired point of impact at that range?

Precisely. Friction versus click has always been a half dozen vs 6 of a kind thing for me..........

Of course, I don't use turrets either............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oddly enough, the VX1 is the only scope I know of that doesn't have click adjustments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DMB

Someone above said that Leupold hasn't done much recently; well the VX-7 is a VERY excellent scope that was introduced about two years ago. The image the VX-7 delivers is outstanding. I bought the very first one that Rick sold here on the Campfire, and I am very happy to own it. The image from it is outstanding,

agree with the VX-7 optical qualities and i like the 30mm tube appearance

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wondering how they're going to improve on the 2.5-8x36.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

No kidding.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This SUCKS. I love those VX-III rifle scopes. The 3.5-10x40 is the all-time best hunting scope on the market today.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the prices on their new scope lineup that they will bring out.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearstalker
This SUCKS. I love those VX-III rifle scopes. The 3.5-10x40 is the all-time best hunting scope on the market today.

I totally, 110% agree.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like their "beancounters" have had their way. They are cutting out the heart and soul of the Leupy line - the VXIII's!
I bet Obama wouldn't approve!

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/16/08.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm late coming to this thread, but it sounds to me like a marketing decision more than anything else. Thus, the following posts make the most sense:

Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw & imho,
I've been unimpressed with Leupold for the last five years on a number of fronts. They've provided damned little in the line of optical or mechanical improvements but seem to have concentrated on changing names and increasing prices. I'm not exactly on pins and needles to see what Beaverton is getting ready to hype and market...

Regards, Matt.

Originally Posted by tbear
I suppose its a reaction to their decreasing share of market. With the new Bushnell, gasp(old baggage), Burris, Weaver, Trijicon, Zeiss Conquest, & Swarovski Z6 providing intense competition it appears some new marketing strategy &/or products are required.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Not trying to get a debate started, but Leupold in my opinion hasn't done much to keep up with the competition. Take the Sightron Big Sky for example. I think the resolution is better than the current VX3, it has finger adjust, resettable turrets, and a hydrophobic lense coating. And, it is $100 less. That is just an example.

And I like the VX1 line, but I do not understand why any modern scope still uses friction adjustments.

It should be no surprise that pressure from the plethora of new sporting optics companies that have hit the marketplace during the last decade or so forces change. That, and Leupold's commitment (yes, I know, not a 100% commitment) to an American-made product is likely pushing them to trim the line and focus on higher end goods in order to compete. Compete or die.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by bearstalker

I totally, 110% agree.

Steve

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000^Nth degree ...

-WGM-
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I admit to being a Leupold slut: I use 2x and 4x handgun scopes; a 1-4 VX1 on a 44mag carbine; a 4x M8 on a 30-06; a VariX 2 2-7x on a 35 Whelan; A Vari X 3 3.5-10 on a 7mm RM; a VX 3 2.5-8 on a 7/08. I like all of them; I feel comfortable with any on their respective arms. Don't have any idea what Leupold is thinking. Today I was at the range and among the rifles I used was a 257 Roberts with a 2-7 Nikon Monarch (discontinued model) scope. Not to change the thread here, but the old 1 inch Monarchs were/are damned good scopes. and I personally have absolutely zero interest in purchasing a New/improved 30mm Monarch. I suppose Leupold is not alone in in trying to make ends meet. I hope whatever they come up with is a GOOD scope for the money; and we all know that whatever they come up with won't please all of us. Good luck Leupie.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

You know they may just be changing the inner parts and changing the name.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is unique about Leupold? Made in America perhaps? Any other scopes made and assembled here? I can not think of any, maybe some specialized stuff...

Think we may no longer see the made in the USA stamp or the lifetime warranty....

Time will tell,

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

They must have finally got a Conquest and compared it. I did years ago.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.