Home
Who are these people?

So the reason our unemployment is so high is because Americans are lazy rather than the rate being high because our economy sucks?

Tom Delay: People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be

Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay called Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) "brave" on Sunday for launching a one-man filibuster of unemployment benefits, arguing that they dissuaded people from going out and finding work.

Appearing on CNN's "State of the Union," the Texas Republican said that Bunning's fiscal responsibility was commendable, even if his shenanigans (refusing to allow unemployment benefits to be considered by unanimous consent) nearly brought the Senate to a halt.

"Nothing would have happened if the Democrats had just paid for [the benefits]," Delay said. "People would have gotten their unemployment compensation. I think Bunning was brave in standing up there and taking it on by himself."

Asked whether it was bad strategy to make a budget stand on a $10 billion extension of unemployment (as opposed to, say, the Bush's $720 billion prescription drug package), Delay insisted that if the PR had been done right, Bunning would have been applauded. Helping the unemployed with federal assistance, he said, was unsound policy.

"You know," Delay said, "there is an argument to be made that these extensions, the unemployment benefits keeps people from going and finding jobs. In fact there are some studies that have been done that show people stay on unemployment compensation and they don't look for a job until two or three weeks before they know the benefits are going to run out.

Host Candy Crowley: Congressman, that's a hard sell, isn't it?

Delay: it's the truth.

Crowley: People are unemployed because they want to be?

Delay: well, it is the truth. and people in the real world know it. And they have friends and they know it.
Sure, we ought to be helping people that are unemployed find a job, but we also have budget considerations that are incredibly important, especially now that Obama is spending monies that we don't have

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100307/cm_huffpost/489050
Obviously he is not over 50 and looking for work
Open mouth, insert foot. kwg
Gentleman, I know a lot of folks that have no intention on putting serious effort into seeking another job or accepting a job "beneath them" until their benefits are close to expiration.

Your mileage may vary, but I see it every damn day. As repulsive as it may be.

He may sound like a dickweasel, but he's not far off the mark in some areas....

Originally Posted by saddlesore

being over 40 and looking for work isn't any fun either
timing is everything

a few years ago he'd have been spot on

today he just looks like a guy that knows his pension is secured, for the rest let them eat cake

I'm for extending unemployment benefits, but not for the lazy,
folks that really want to work should do something good for the country if they're expecting the country to support them.

they should have to hunt down and hang a politician first

(just kiddin for you black helicopter pilots, but barely)

Obviously he is not over 60 and looking for work.
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick

being over 40 and looking for work isn't any fun either
Try it with a history of heart disease. One a-hole even laughed at me. I was already down and dang near out and his laughter was a kick in the gut. There's a special place in hell for people like him.
Originally Posted by RWE
Gentleman, I know a lot of folks that have no intention on putting serious effort into seeking another job or accepting a job "beneath them" until their benefits are close to expiration.

I'm sure everyone knows someone like that but when your country has just lost 8.5 million jobs in short order because of the effects of Wall St and govt policy, I'm guessing the majority aren't too happy about collecting a $350 a week check.
the one time i collected unemployment when i was 20, 26yrs ago. i had to show that i had gone out and looked for a job or the benefits would be discontinued. i take it this is no longer the case
Don't take it so seriously... he was just referring to the Democrat controlled states. grin

And, yes.. there is truth to what he says for a lot of folks, but he's way out of line for right now. There are a lot of hard-working, non-union folks that have been hit hard. And no end in sight with a government that just keeps throwing pork money around rather than fixing the economy.
Remove all the illegals from the US workforce and things will change. No more slave labor rates in low end construction (what's left) and other areas as well (what's left there too). Close the friggin border and EVICT. Leave the US jobs to US citizens. Aren't too many politicians pushing border enforcement or immigration law enforcement. Wonder why?
About 4-5 percent don't want to work. That is about the level we have been down to and never go lower, even though many entry level jobs are available and left wanting for someone to fill them. That leaves about another 12-15 percent presently that would certainly love to find a job.
There are a LOT of folks sitting at home with 2/3 or better of a full pay check. As long as they can NOT WORK, and GET PAID, they will continue to do so.
my brother had a hell of a time getting on unemployment when he got laid off for the winter....think he applied in December and got one check last week.....not sure why but he could not get them to cut him a check.....he was happier than hell when i and about 5 other guys around town could put him to work off the books....he swears he is never [bleep] with unemployment again.....the only thing that saved his arse is the fact he had enough contacts that needed a few things done so he could work enough off the books to make his car and insurance payment....
Huffington post? Really?
Easy now, the article was on Yahoo.

Here's a video of the interview if that makes you more comfortable.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/tom-delay-people-are-unemployed-becau
Well this is one of the reasons I consider myself moderate Independent. Too many hardcore Republicans who look at the working class with disdain, as the enemy of the businessman.

I'm sure Delay is right, there are probablly SOME. I personally don't know any, but I'm sure they are out there, however to write the problem of unemployment off becasue of this is absurd. Spoken from a guy who probablly hasn't picked up a shovel in thirty years.
Originally Posted by RWE

So true or they have something going on the side and don't want to upset the apple cart...

With that said there are others that are on a hard road and should not look to government for substance.. Unfortunately they are not going to learn the hard way that gov will always let you down... We all are going to have to learn that the hard way... We can't we keep this spending and taxing up... It's just not in the books...
Originally Posted by shootem
Remove all the illegals from the US workforce and things will change. No more slave labor rates in low end construction (what's left) and other areas as well (what's left there too). Close the friggin border and EVICT. Leave the US jobs to US citizens. Aren't too many politicians pushing border enforcement or immigration law enforcement. Wonder why?

Because they are having the taxpayer subsidize their pay scale.. As long as they are able to suppress the pay scale they are more then willing to say they can't find an American to fill those jobs.....
Originally Posted by Cigar
Originally Posted by RWE

So true or they have something going on the side and don't want to upset the apple cart...

With that said there are others that are on a hard road and should not look to government for substance.. Unfortunately they are not going to learn the hard way that gov will always let you down... We all are going to have to learn that the hard way... We can't we keep this spending and taxing up... It's just not in the books...

I have a few friends that willingly take any work I can give them, regardless if the cart is tipped or not.

I had some friends that seem to enjoy the goobermint teat a little too much to run the risk of a hard days work getting in the way of things.

"Had" being the appropriate word.

For those that are looking hard, I am thankful you guys still exist.

For those that don't personally know teat suckers, consider yourselves fortunate....
Yes, lots of people cannot find work, but lots of Americans are too arrogant to work for what they feel is "less than they are worth" and others won't travel. I know quite a few guys that are sitting on their ass, because they make a better wage off unemployment checks, rather than manning up and flipping burgers.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Yes, lots of people cannot find work, but lots of Americans are too arrogant to work for what they feel is "less than they are worth" and others won't travel. I know quite a few guys that are sitting on their ass, because they make a better wage off unemployment checks, rather than manning up and flipping burgers.

Have to wonder if half of you who spout the line would actually really flip burgers?

I have paid into unemployment for thirty years, and I was glad it was there for me giving me the chance to job hunt instead of flipping burgers.

I'll admit it, difference is I bet there are many here who would collect the unemployment instead of flipping burgers but take a step back in the shadows when somebody suggests they are loafers for doing so.

I'm betting more than half who rag on those collecting unemployment wouldn't flip burgers instead of collecting unemployment insurance. I mean is sounds good, but let's see you really put on the little orange hat.
Originally Posted by kwg020
Open mouth, insert foot. kwg

That's what I was about to say--Delay is one of the charter members of The Foot In The Mouth Gang and is one reason why the Republicans are in currently in the minority.

Where was Delay when Congress was signing off on 3-400 billion dollar a year deficits a few years ago?.........oh wait, he WAS Congress..........

Casey
Freakn' rat catcher politician, Delay couldn't even make make it through a dance contest without getting stress fractures in both feet. I would love to see him making an honest living flipping burgers at his age.

Originally Posted by Barkoff
Have to wonder if half of you who spout the line would actually really flip burgers?

I worked for $10 an hour last winter, standing in the freezing cold, parking cars at a ski resort. I have a degree in finance, and I was happy to have that job!
Why is your occupation listed as taxidermist?

Have you paid into unemployment, were eligible for it?

I think both situations apply. Without a doubt there are people who are hurting very badly in this economy. Without a doubt there are people who aren't going to take a job that pays less then what they were making. Sometimes we have no choice but to take what's there. I suspect things are going to get even worse after May when millions of college graduates enter the work place and the jobs aren't there, not counting the mega millions who aren't going to go to college but either dropping out of high school or graduating in May and will be looking for work.

I also believe firmly that things aren't going to improve until this government is reigned in and the stupidity comes to a halt. It might even be too late to save the country from bankruptcy.

There was no way that this economy could be sustained and continue to grow with borrowed money. A few years ago Texas didn't allow you to borrow against your homestead. Well that was opened and a lot of folks went out and got consolidation loans for their credit cards and cars and financed that debt with their home equity. Then they went right back to living on plastic until those were full again. Many of them ran out of credit to spend.. Then the housing market got tight and values came down, with some of those loans forcing people into some tight spots and there was no place to turn. They were in hock up to their butt as they tried to live the 'good life'. I've lived through several recessions. They aren't any fun for anybody, save for the few wealthy that are left. In my opinion it'll be a long haul to get out of this because there is no credit left to spur buying which creates jobs, etc.

I retired and am on a fixed income taking care of an 88 year old mother and helping take care of a 76 year old MIL. My other half is still working and we're staying above water but there is no extra money for anything. When I look around I consider myself one of the lucky ones to be able to stay above water! Lots of friends are hurting and some simply can't find work. I always liked Delay but tend to agree here that he let his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird butt! When you're that wealthy recessions aren't an issue.....

Good luck to all those here who are looking for work. Keep the faith. In situations like we're in that's about all you can do.
This is true. I took a job that paid substantially less than my old one. I don't plan on staying here even though I think they are hoping I do. I collected unemployment and that allowed me to drive around everyday and get to know people, fill out and personally hand in resumes. I'm not going to snicker at anyone who takes a job flipping burgers instead, all I'm saying was that I'm glad I paid into UE insurance and that it was there for me when I needed it so that I wouldn't have to flip burgers while looking for employment.

I have to add a bit on the 'wealthy'. Last week we visited one of the premier gun company distributors in the country. Appreciate leaving it at that, don't really want to name them. They commented that their high end shotguns are selling extremely well. They are also selling their high end rifles without much of a problem. Those at the top of the food chain might not be making what they used to but they're still in a position to live their lives like they did when times were good for everybody.

As much as people bashed GW, especially the media who thought that unemployment at 6-7% at the worst times during his presidency was just too high, I suspect a lot of folks would love to have those days back. They also fail to remember what 9-11 did to this economy for several years and things weren't as bad as they are now. Here in Texas we're in the 6-7% range and even as low as that number is it's got to be a lot higher than it was when GW was in office. I didn't know anybody around here that was unemployed for any lenght of time then. Now that's not the case. Lots of folks honestly have given up looking for a job because they just aren't there. Those aren't counted anymore - which I think is stupid! But what do we know? It helps the government print a rosier picture....
Originally Posted by thechamp

As much as people bashed GW, especially the media who thought that unemployment at 6-7% at the worst times during his presidency was just too high, I suspect a lot of folks would love to have those days back. They also fail to remember what 9-11 did to this economy for several years and things weren't as bad as they are now. Here in Texas we're in the 6-7% range and even as low as that number is it's got to be a lot higher than it was when GW was in office. I didn't know anybody around here that was unemployed for any lenght of time then. Now that's not the case. Lots of folks honestly have given up looking for a job because they just aren't there. Those aren't counted anymore - which I think is stupid! But what do we know? It helps the government print a rosier picture....

lol

Did you somehow forget that Bush was president when the economy was going in the toilet and it was Bush who first pushed for the bailouts?

That's some pretty selective memory.
i hate flipping burgers, did it for 6 months in high school and swore never again....i will not flip burgers for the first couple months if i became unemployed and the unemployment check was keeping the bills handled.....however, about that 5 or so month mark, if nothing turned up i would go back to flipping burgers to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads.....would also skip town and go someplace else to work if i had to to pay the bills(alot of ppl really seem unwilling to do this) but i have paid into the system since i was 14 so ill willingly collect a check for a few months and try and locate something i can live with long term.....but im to damn proud to accept it for long.....
AH!.It was a democrat controlled congress when Bush was in office.He had very little if any to do with it.Congress sets the budget,not the president.
I have flipped burgers,shoed horses, bucked wild mules, even applied as a Walmart greeter.
Why is your occupation listed as taxidermist?

I have two jobs. There is no money in taxidermy...

And when my parking job ended, I took a job running a shovel for an excavator. They had no operator openings, but they had a position running a shovel, and running a tamper. You do what you have to do.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
As long as they can NOT WORK, and GET PAID, they will continue to do so.

Hey, congress is not the topic being discussed.
AH!.It was a democrat controlled congress when Bush was in office.He had very little if any to do with it.Congress sets the budget,not the president.
I have flipped burgers,shoed horses, bucked wild mules, even applied as a Walmart greeter.

Republicans for the most part held both the senate and HR from 2002-2006.
There really isn't much out there for people over 40. All of you advocating burger flipping have to think a bit more. If unemployment pays the rent and utilities and burger flipping won't cover it, what would you do? Also, a good burger joint manager would not hire someone know they would leave at the first opportunity. Yes, there are about 5% that will milk it for all it's worth, the other 5% are seriously trying, with nothing left but to keep applying at the same places that still have no openings.
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
As long as they can NOT WORK, and GET PAID, they will continue to do so.

Hey, congress is not the topic being discussed.

laugh laugh
"People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be"

Spoken like a true elitist repub-low-crap millionaire.
dave
How many guys on the 'fire are collecting unemployment? Perhaps it could explain how guys post on here all day long.
I'm 70 and worked all my life, now retired and not online too often.

I also think some people have lost their jobs due to poor and corrupt business management. Yet most of them are working at anything available, some two jobs. I think it is the few who do not want to work. Not many gun owners who hunt would rather sit on their butts all day.
Originally Posted by Calvin
How many guys on the 'fire are collecting unemployment? Perhaps it could explain how guys post on here all day long.

self employed and have access to a computer at work.....when i started 8 years ago i was in the job shop and didnt see a computer 99% of the time, unfortunately for me im now in front of a computer for around 1/3 of the day most days, though usually broken up through out the day....5 minutes here, 15 there.....that sorta thing.....unfortunately the wife found out i can actually write when pressed to and since we have down sized in the front office since i started i got to pick up some of the slack.....
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
timing is everything

a few years ago he'd have been spot on

today he just looks like a guy that knows his pension is secured, for the rest let them eat cake

I'm for extending unemployment benefits, but not for the lazy,
folks that really want to work should do something good for the country if they're expecting the country to support them.

they should have to hunt down and hang a politician first

(just kiddin for you black helicopter pilots, but barely)

right on
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Obviously he is not over 60 and looking for work.

obviously he is a automaton congress critter with an assured pension and is not over 62 and looking for work
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I have paid into unemployment for thirty years, and I was glad it was there for me giving me the chance to job hunt instead of flipping burgers.

I'll admit it, difference is I bet there are many here who would collect the unemployment instead of flipping burgers but take a step back in the shadows when somebody suggests they are loafers for doing so.

I'm betting more than half who rag on those collecting unemployment wouldn't flip burgers instead of collecting unemployment insurance. I mean is sounds good, but let's see you really put on the little orange hat.
I always find these threads interesting. Like max in arizona is about 280 a week on unemployment. Wife, couple of kids, got to eat, 1000/month mortgage payment, 400/month or more utility bill, gas etc. Like that is an inducement to stay home and collect checks. Oh, by the way i have been employed in one form or another since i was 9 years old, and paid into unemployment insurance forever, and have never collected one penny. But that doesn't mean i begrudge people that haven't had the right breaks. I might addthere are few and far between jobs flipping burgers right now in this state too.
Don't confuse "unemployed" with "those on unemployment". There are plenty, and I mean LOTS, of unemployed people who chose to not be employed. It sounds foreign to people who have always done the right thing, but we are in the second generation of a class of "Americans" who have discovered it is more lucrative to be "off paper". Considering $10 cash per hour (unreported income) is equivalent to $35 per hour who can blame them?

I ain't talkin' illegal aliens either.
Originally Posted by dave7mm
"People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be"

Spoken like a true elitist repub-low-crap millionaire.
dave
Yep, with big-mouth Republicans like ol' Tom it's easy to see why Democrats get elected. Good ol' Tom has won his last election. He positively overflows with the milk of human kindness.
I know who you're talking about....

And I miss ole Tom...The Hammer was awesome!
I have 3 siblings all out of work. I have been paying for their unemployment benefits for 3, 12, 17 months so far. Not one of them is much interested in taking a lower paid position that what they had. One has no marketable skill an she is intent on waiting until the benefits run out before looking for anything.

Their doesn't seem to be urgency on their part to find anything else as long she someone else is footing the bill.

I was brought up that if you lose your job you spend your day looking for, interviewing, filling out applications.

This generation doesn't seem to want to do that and will just wait until it lands in their lap.

ML
Originally Posted by rrroae

lol

Did you somehow forget that Bush was president when the economy was going in the toilet and it was Bush who first pushed for the bailouts?

That's some pretty selective memory.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Last 2 years of it, prior to that it was all (R) and sinking.
Dayum we'll be dealing with leftists and the Crazy 9 for the next 2 1/2 years....and if we just knew that it would only be 2 1/2 more years we might could suck it up and maintain our sanity.

thechamp, I've reminded some of these clowns several times about 9/11....simply a non-event today to a lot of people.
I'll admit my ignorance of unemployment, having never been on it, but it seems I heard if the only job you can get is flipping burgers, and the max unemployment you would get is more, you can receive unemployment for the difference?

Is this true?
Originally Posted by RWE

You politically incorrect (factually correct) bastid.

How dare you say such a thing?

wink
Originally Posted by JasonB

They just had a second go at it...trickle down pee on ya head economics.

Folks like you deserve the current administration! Period. I'm not saying the Republicans were without fault but obviously some are confused by things that happened during those two years. The "B" Pelosi and the "A-Hole" Reid ran the government. Bush was a lame duck and couldn't get ANYTHING THROUGH THAT BUNCH. As for the bailouts, he consulted the future "Idiot in Chief" and they concurred it had to be done. I don't know what was really necessary and neither does anyone else here. If they do please step up and put it in writing. That was a small chunk of what's happened since and what's going to happen if they get your health care.

Until the pain gets severe enough people persist in believing what they want. Please go for it! grin

BTW I NEVER drew a penny of unemployment in my life. For the times I was without work I got off my a$$ and found work. And as others have pointed out we all paid into the system for those not so fortunate. I don't begrudge anyone drawing it if they need it. That's what it's for. I do begrudge those who have no desire to better themselves (talking about young people here) and would rather live off the government or their families. Have a step daughter who seems to think her mom should support her till 60 or so. Can you say deadbeat? She'll be 24 shortly and has ZERO marketable job skills, unless you consider working at Jason's Deli a job skill. LAZZY A$$. And she would have voted for the current party in power because she's a liberal... smokes pot, parties, etc., imagine that!

Thanks Stan, you're right they've already forgotten what happened to our economy. SW Airlines stock fell to the low teens. NEVER recovered. And the market itself never got it's legs again. Then the idiot got elected.... Yeah short memories are really a great asset for those who refuse to put things in perspective. IT'S BUSH'S FAULT! Yep that's all they remember. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. And we aren't far from there last time I looked. Muslim president and all.
Yeh, Terrible. http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/03/news/economy/jobs_january/index.htm
Got to bust this lying assed bubble..

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Series Id: LNS14000000
Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Rate
Labor force status: Unemployment rate
Type of data: Percent or rate

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
2000 4.0 4.1 4.0 3.8 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.1 3.9 3.9 3.9 3.9
2001 4.2 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.9 5.0 5.3 5.5 5.7
2002 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.9 6.0
2003 5.8 5.9 5.9 6.0 6.1 6.3 6.2 6.1 6.1 6.0 5.8 5.7
2004 5.7 5.6 5.8 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.5 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.4
2005 5.3 5.4 5.2 5.2 5.1 5.0 5.0 4.9 5.0 5.0 5.0 4.9
2006 4.7 4.8 4.7 4.7 4.6 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.4
2007 4.6 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.4 4.6 4.6 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.7 5.0
2008 5.0 4.8 5.1 5.0 5.4 5.5 5.8 6.1 6.2 6.6 6.9 7.4
2009 7.7 8.2 8.6 8.9 9.4 9.5 9.4 9.7 9.8 10.1 10.0 10.0
2010 9.7 9.7
I hear a lot of folks running down today's youth.... some things never change. :p

If I were a 19 year old right about now I'd have a full time gig starting a revolution. They have every right to be very pissed off at the situation we have bequeathed them.

Whether we approved or not as individuals the last couple generations have sent their jobs overseas, saddled them with unpayable government debt, used Ponzi finance to price an entire generation of young families out of homes (or, if they take the bait, turned them into debt zombies for life), unleashed an unregulated sociopathic Wall Street banking cartel on them.

... and then we criticize them for being just a little pissed off when we cast them in job market with 5 takers per job.

I'm solidly Generation X. So I only get an earfull occasionally. But I'd caution any of the boomers and up to maybe be a little more understanding when we discuss the work ethic of these kids. I'm not sure you want to get into a generational shouting match with them.

Will
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
I'll admit my ignorance of unemployment, having never been on it, but it seems I heard if the only job you can get is flipping burgers, and the max unemployment you would get is more, you can receive unemployment for the difference?

Is this true?

Any of our lawyers know?
I am gen x also. I think that my dad's and my generation are about the same work ehtic wise...wouldn't dare to compare my Granpa's and mine...but I do see a remarkable difference in the 20 something generation of today. I work for a software company and we see plenty of the current generation...and it isn't even close. It is really pathetic, of course there are stand outs..but in general I would rather have 1 gen x'er or older to 10 20'somethings.
Heard about the global warming hoax?
And on a personal note I just want to say this: There is nothing the matter with Tom Delay that a damned good ass kicking won't fix. :p

You'd be amazed at how a clarification session can make these outbursts of arrogance and self righteous behavior disappear into the ether. I've seen it first hand.

Will
Originally Posted by Penguin
I hear a lot of folks running down today's youth.... some things never change. :p

If I were a 19 year old right about now I'd have a full time gig starting a revolution. They have every right to be very pissed off at the situation we have bequeathed them.

Whether we approved or not as individuals the last couple generations have sent their jobs overseas, saddled them with unpayable government debt, used Ponzi finance to price an entire generation of young families out of homes (or, if they take the bait, turned them into debt zombies for life), unleashed an unregulated sociopathic Wall Street banking cartel on them.

... and then we criticize them for being just a little pissed off when we cast them in job market with 5 takers per job.

I'm solidly Generation X. So I only get an earfull occasionally. But I'd caution any of the boomers and up to maybe be a little more understanding when we discuss the work ethic of these kids. I'm not sure you want to get into a generational shouting match with them.

Will

Hang on there friend, I hear what you are saying, buy big spend democrats would be nowhere without the youth vote putting them over the top. I'll bet 75% of people under 21 vote democrat.

The "B" Pelosi and the "A-Hole" Reid ran the government. Bush was a lame duck and couldn't get ANYTHING THROUGH THAT BUNCH. As for the bailouts, he consulted the future "Idiot in Chief" and they concurred it had to be done. I don't know what was really necessary and neither does anyone else here. If they do please step up and put it in writing. That was a small chunk of what's happened since and what's going to happen if they get your health care.

So let me get this straight, - Bush consulted Obama on the bank and car maker bailouts a month before the presidential election because...???

And on a personal note I just want to say this: There is nothing the matter with Tom Delay that a damned good ass kicking won't fix. :p

You'd be amazed at how a clarification session can make these outbursts of arrogance and self righteous behavior disappear into the ether. I've seen it first hand.

Will

lol

He's just one of many who deserve a whooopin'.

Will

LMAO! So, Rocky....heard about that global warming hoax? We can establish this, that anyone still inclined to believe in manmade global warming could be a bubble or two off level about any number of subjects?

Will

Hang on there friend, I hear what you are saying, buy big spend democrats would be nowhere without the youth vote putting them over the top. I'll bet 75% of people under 21 vote democrat.

You left out the rest of the dim base....the unemployed and the socialists.
That's true Barkoff but I would argue that they were all free trading, deregulating, free spending zealots regardless of party affiliation.

Taken strictly from a generational point of view they had very little say in what went down the past 25 years. And let's be honest, that is about how long we have been cooking this debacle up. This will be the first generation in over 100 years in America to have a lower standard of living than their parents. We can't blame the kids for that.

We did it. All of us.

Whether we allowed our politicians to sell us on things we knew weren't true, or sat back and drank the tonic of cheap credit, or didn't speak out when we were gutting the manufacturing infrastructure, or any of a hundred other mistakes that were made... well in the end WE did it.

And we have left them holding the bag. I wouldn't rip on them too badly, after all they are the ones who are going to be paying our social security in 30 years.

Will
Originally Posted by Stan V
Heard about the global warming hoax?

Yeah, from the same jackasses who were bragging about the 'Bush Miracle' a scant 3 years ago.

Will
Which miracle (not what, which). And we all thought Bush was gonna be perfect in an imperfect world.
And we all thought Bush was gonna be perfect in an imperfect world.

Naw, some of us knew what kind of person Bush was especially after that stunt he pulled in S Carolina in the 2000 primaries.
That's true Barkoff but I would argue that they were all free trading, deregulating, free spending zealots regardless of party affiliation.

Taken strictly from a generational point of view they had very little say in what went down the past 25 years. And let's be honest, that is about how long we have been cooking this debacle up. This will be the first generation in over 100 years in America to have a lower standard of living than their parents. We can't blame the kids for that.

We did it. All of us.

Whether we allowed our politicians to sell us on things we knew weren't true, or sat back and drank the tonic of cheap credit, or didn't speak out when we were gutting the manufacturing infrastructure, or any of a hundred other mistakes that were made... well in the end WE did it.

And we have left them holding the bag. I wouldn't rip on them too badly, after all they are the ones who are going to be paying our social security in 30 years.

Will

Well I think they more than share responsibility for the debt Obama is going to run up.
And we all thought Bush was gonna be perfect in an imperfect world.

Naw, some of us knew what kind of person Bush was especially after that stunt he pulled in S Carolina in the 2000 primaries.

LMAO!!! Cry me a river over McCain......thank God Albore was never president!

LMAO!!! Cry me a river over McCain......thank God Albore was never president!

Hey, if you admire a sleazeball, that's your choice. Some of us have higher standards.
LMAO!! Please don't respond for a moment so I may catch my breath....LMAO!
Will there ever be a time that the Paulites agree that McCain would have been better that Obama? And the Anti-Paulites agree that the lesser of two evils isn't going to fix anything?

We should all be basically be on the same stage fundementally, but yet we spend more time arguing against each other, rather than find a real solution.
Dude, some of these clowns can't admit W was the better choice than Albore!

McCain would have sucked too. Just wouldn't have pulled quite the negative pressure Obama does. With Dems in control of both houses IMHO McLame would have been supporting a "Health Care" bill. It would have been the moderate thing to do you know. Matter of fact he could probably have pulled a trainload of RepubliCrats along with him. Unfortunately in the short term Obama is POTUS; but fortunately in the long term. It shows dumb assed naive voters what a really bad prez and administration can do. Speaking of bad administrations it was indeed GWB that started the bailout crap with the support of one hell of a lot of supposed conservatives. Bush was far, far better than the alternative. But he spent borrowed money in a way that makes drunken sailors look fiscally responsible. Republicans play a truly nobel role when in the minority but are piz poor at pushing thru constitutional, conservative legislation when in the majority. They tend to become more politically and socially acceptable. They can btch & moan with the best but when in a position of power get a little embarrased about having power. Take back the Republican Party. Purge the luke warm and liberal.
Dude, some of these clowns can't admit W was the better choice than Albore!

I agree....but can some admit that McCain would only be a band-aid on a sliced jugular?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
the one time i collected unemployment when i was 20, 26yrs ago. i had to show that i had gone out and looked for a job or the benefits would be discontinued. i take it this is no longer the case

The people that don't really want a job take the sheets to places they know won't hire them and ask for a job and in the same breath ask the places to sign their sheet. They've done it to me several times over the years.

The "B" Pelosi and the "A-Hole" Reid ran the government. Bush was a lame duck and couldn't get ANYTHING THROUGH THAT BUNCH. As for the bailouts, he consulted the future "Idiot in Chief" and they concurred it had to be done. I don't know what was really necessary and neither does anyone else here. If they do please step up and put it in writing. That was a small chunk of what's happened since and what's going to happen if they get your health care.

So let me get this straight, - Bush consulted Obama on the bank and car maker bailouts a month before the presidential election because...???

Both Obama and Bush thought it was a good idea at the time. Obama was a very vocal supporter of it. I don't recall what McCain's position was. If you recall Obama was a part time member of the Senate when he wasn't out campaigning.....

Folks like you deserve the current administration! Period. I'm not saying the Republicans were without fault but obviously some are confused by things that happened during those two years. The "B" Pelosi and the "A-Hole" Reid ran the government. Bush was a lame duck and couldn't get ANYTHING THROUGH THAT BUNCH. As for the bailouts, he consulted the future "Idiot in Chief" and they concurred it had to be done. I don't know what was really necessary and neither does anyone else here. If they do please step up and put it in writing. That was a small chunk of what's happened since and what's going to happen if they get your health care.

Until the pain gets severe enough people persist in believing what they want. Please go for it! grin

BTW I NEVER drew a penny of unemployment in my life. For the times I was without work I got off my a$$ and found work. And as others have pointed out we all paid into the system for those not so fortunate. I don't begrudge anyone drawing it if they need it. That's what it's for. I do begrudge those who have no desire to better themselves (talking about young people here) and would rather live off the government or their families. Have a step daughter who seems to think her mom should support her till 60 or so. Can you say deadbeat? She'll be 24 shortly and has ZERO marketable job skills, unless you consider working at Jason's Deli a job skill. LAZZY A$$. And she would have voted for the current party in power because she's a liberal... smokes pot, parties, etc., imagine that!

Thanks Stan, you're right they've already forgotten what happened to our economy. SW Airlines stock fell to the low teens. NEVER recovered. And the market itself never got it's legs again. Then the idiot got elected.... Yeah short memories are really a great asset for those who refuse to put things in perspective. IT'S BUSH'S FAULT! Yep that's all they remember. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. And we aren't far from there last time I looked. Muslim president and all.

Then why do you defend them? You are aware that McCain voted for the bailouts as well? Also, care to explain the 2003 drug bill (during the glory years when "The "B" Pelosi and the "A-Hole" Reid" didn't run government) and exactly how it differed from actions taken during the dark times that lay ahead?

DITTO THAT ONE! A gore supporter? Jesus I thought they were all at Daily Kos smoking their hash pipes to celebrate the election of the smartest man on earth, even smarter than Jimmy Carter!

HOLY [bleep]! We're doomed as a country and rightfully so. Stupid people need to say YES SIR to somebody else. Can we say China? I get a kick out of people saying the Chinese are dangerous. Who in their right mind would want this bunch of dumbshits that elected a college kid with Marxist ideology to be president?
Easy, if you'd have democrat rule during those times you'd have gotten screwed a hell of a lot more then you did. Bush had to make deals with the devil to get some of his stuff through. Obviously again you know nothing about how the system works.

Were it not for the Republicans and the few conservative demos are are in fear of their political lives the health care fiasco would already be law. Let's cut the crap, I assume you're supporting the health care bill? Put it on the table so people here can see you for the liberal demo that you are. What are you doing on a gun site in the first place?

Both Obama and Bush thought it was a good idea at the time. Obama was a very vocal supporter of it. I don't recall what McCain's position was. If you recall Obama was a part time member of the Senate when he wasn't out campaigning.....

McCain voted for it also, which produced one of the more amusing things I have ever seen when a McCainiac was encouraging a vote for McCain due to Obama voting for the bail out. In a related story, McCain voted for Holder as well.
And obviously mr. clueless you can't read. I SAID I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT MCCAIN'S POSITION WAS AT THE TIME! That son of a bitch wasn't my choice as a republican when he spent most of his political life stabbing republicans in the back. And then claiming he was a "Maverick". Maverick my ass.
Easy, if you'd have democrat rule during those times you'd have gotten screwed a hell of a lot more then you did. Bush had to make deals with the devil to get some of his stuff through. Obviously again you know nothing about how the system works.

Were it not for the Republicans and the few conservative demos are are in fear of their political lives the health care fiasco would already be law. Let's cut the crap, I assume you're supporting the health care bill? Put it on the table so people here can see you for the liberal demo that you are. What are you doing on a gun site in the first place?

Explain the 2003 drug bill. All was bright and sunny in the land so how did it happen?
And obviously mr. clueless you can't read. I SAID I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT MCCAIN'S POSITION WAS AT THE TIME! That son of a bitch wasn't my choice as a republican when he spent most of his political life stabbing republicans in the back. And then claiming he was a "Maverick". Maverick my ass.

So who did you vote for in the 2008 election? I knew what his position was, why didn't you?
BTW Jason, I see no reason in discussing anything with you. You haven't a clue. You're on ignore. Out of 10 years being here you succeeded in being the only poster to rate that. Good bye and I hope you get your wish that this country goes to hell by the hand of the democrats! You really do deserve what you get.

BTW Jason, I see no reason in discussing anything with you. You haven't a clue. You're on ignore. Out of 10 years being here you succeeded in being the only poster to rate that. Good bye and I hope you get your wish that this country goes to hell by the hand of the democrats! You really do deserve what you get.

So you voted for McCain even though you didn't know what his positions were. Nice.

Can anyone explain this one to me?

thechamp
Campfire Regular

Loc: San Antonio, Tx
you don't have to be a member to be here! Duh...
[/b]

Whether we approved or not as individuals the last couple generations have sent their jobs overseas, saddled them with unpayable government debt, [b]used Ponzi finance to price an entire generation of young families out of homes (or, if they take the bait, turned them into debt zombies for life), [b][/b]unleashed an unregulated sociopathic Wall Street banking cartel on them.

Will

Didn't think I would ever be able to say it with any honesty, but Will is right on this time. The young people aren't the ones who screwed this country up. Kids will be what there taught and allowed to be. No more no less. It's not their fault
their spoiled and not taught to work, or respect authority.
I think the Liberal baby boomer's are to blame for starting the downhill slide.
Sorry about the bold. I tried to bold the real estate part.

Were it not for the Republicans.....

Do you really believe that Republicans are really any different then Dems??

You might want to check who it was who oversaw the greatest expansion in the size of the federal govt since Roosevelt.

Or who was president when our debt doubled in 8 short years because they never vetoed a spending bill.

Or maybe you'd like to check who it was who was pushing for amnesty for illegals.

I mean a person has to be seriously blinded by partisanship to think that both sides aren't out to screw us. Just check the records, they both push the same govt largess. The only minor difference is the moral issues they use as a smokescreen to keep the people ignorant of their true intent, - to screw the people..

I mean a person has to be seriously blinded by partisanship to think that both sides aren't out to screw us. Just check the records, they both push the same govt largess. The only minor difference is the moral issues they use as a smokescreen to keep the people ignorant of their true intent, - to screw the people..

Put the many here that fall into that category on ignore and ya'd see a blank screen.

DITTO THAT ONE! A gore supporter? Jesus I thought they were all at Daily Kos smoking their hash pipes to celebrate the election of the smartest man on earth, even smarter than Jimmy Carter!

HOLY [bleep]! We're doomed as a country and rightfully so. Stupid people need to say YES SIR to somebody else. Can we say China? I get a kick out of people saying the Chinese are dangerous. Who in their right mind would want this bunch of dumbshits that elected a college kid with Marxist ideology to be president?

I hope you know that you're agreeing with and high-fiving a sock puppet.
you don't have to be a member to be here! Duh...

You shouldn't have been able to answer now should you??

BTW Jason, ... You haven't a clue. You're on ignore. ...

Seems I have lots of clues doesn't it.
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

I hope you know that you're agreeing with and high-fiving a sock puppet.

Got to hand it to the kid, he's not dumb enough to follow your clan.....
[quote=rrroae]

Do you really believe that Republicans are really any different then Dems??

You might want to check who it was who oversaw the greatest expansion in the size of the federal govt since Roosevelt.

Or who was president when our debt doubled in 8 short years because they never vetoed a spending bill.

Or maybe you'd like to check who it was who was pushing for amnesty for illegals.

/quote]

but who's in control now and now not reeling it in?
Lets stop the finger pointing and fix whats broken.
You guys all sound like the O- man with all blaming!
© 24hourcampfire