Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'm 70 and worked all my life, now retired and not online too often.

I also think some people have lost their jobs due to poor and corrupt business management. Yet most of them are working at anything available, some two jobs. I think it is the few who do not want to work. Not many gun owners who hunt would rather sit on their butts all day.

Born Pre-War and Proud of it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
How many guys on the 'fire are collecting unemployment? Perhaps it could explain how guys post on here all day long.

self employed and have access to a computer at work.....when i started 8 years ago i was in the job shop and didnt see a computer 99% of the time, unfortunately for me im now in front of a computer for around 1/3 of the day most days, though usually broken up through out the day....5 minutes here, 15 there.....that sorta thing.....unfortunately the wife found out i can actually write when pressed to and since we have down sized in the front office since i started i got to pick up some of the slack.....

Last edited by rattler; 03/08/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
timing is everything

a few years ago he'd have been spot on

today he just looks like a guy that knows his pension is secured, for the rest let them eat cake

I'm for extending unemployment benefits, but not for the lazy,
folks that really want to work should do something good for the country if they're expecting the country to support them.

they should have to hunt down and hang a politician first

(just kiddin for you black helicopter pilots, but barely)

right on

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Obviously he is not over 50 and looking for work

Obviously he is not over 60 and looking for work.

obviously he is a automaton congress critter with an assured pension and is not over 62 and looking for work

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Yes, lots of people cannot find work, but lots of Americans are too arrogant to work for what they feel is "less than they are worth" and others won't travel. I know quite a few guys that are sitting on their ass, because they make a better wage off unemployment checks, rather than manning up and flipping burgers.

Have to wonder if half of you who spout the line would actually really flip burgers?

I have paid into unemployment for thirty years, and I was glad it was there for me giving me the chance to job hunt instead of flipping burgers.

I'll admit it, difference is I bet there are many here who would collect the unemployment instead of flipping burgers but take a step back in the shadows when somebody suggests they are loafers for doing so.

I'm betting more than half who rag on those collecting unemployment wouldn't flip burgers instead of collecting unemployment insurance. I mean is sounds good, but let's see you really put on the little orange hat.
I always find these threads interesting. Like max in arizona is about 280 a week on unemployment. Wife, couple of kids, got to eat, 1000/month mortgage payment, 400/month or more utility bill, gas etc. Like that is an inducement to stay home and collect checks. Oh, by the way i have been employed in one form or another since i was 9 years old, and paid into unemployment insurance forever, and have never collected one penny. But that doesn't mean i begrudge people that haven't had the right breaks. I might addthere are few and far between jobs flipping burgers right now in this state too.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/08/10.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't confuse "unemployed" with "those on unemployment". There are plenty, and I mean LOTS, of unemployed people who chose to not be employed. It sounds foreign to people who have always done the right thing, but we are in the second generation of a class of "Americans" who have discovered it is more lucrative to be "off paper". Considering $10 cash per hour (unreported income) is equivalent to $35 per hour who can blame them?

I ain't talkin' illegal aliens either.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dave7mm
"People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be"

Spoken like a true elitist repub-low-crap millionaire.
dave
Yep, with big-mouth Republicans like ol' Tom it's easy to see why Democrats get elected. Good ol' Tom has won his last election. He positively overflows with the milk of human kindness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know who you're talking about....

And I miss ole Tom...The Hammer was awesome!

All American

All the time
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 3 siblings all out of work. I have been paying for their unemployment benefits for 3, 12, 17 months so far. Not one of them is much interested in taking a lower paid position that what they had. One has no marketable skill an she is intent on waiting until the benefits run out before looking for anything.

Their doesn't seem to be urgency on their part to find anything else as long she someone else is footing the bill.

I was brought up that if you lose your job you spend your day looking for, interviewing, filling out applications.

This generation doesn't seem to want to do that and will just wait until it lands in their lap.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by thechamp

As much as people bashed GW, especially the media who thought that unemployment at 6-7% at the worst times during his presidency was just too high, I suspect a lot of folks would love to have those days back. They also fail to remember what 9-11 did to this economy for several years and things weren't as bad as they are now. Here in Texas we're in the 6-7% range and even as low as that number is it's got to be a lot higher than it was when GW was in office. I didn't know anybody around here that was unemployed for any lenght of time then. Now that's not the case. Lots of folks honestly have given up looking for a job because they just aren't there. Those aren't counted anymore - which I think is stupid! But what do we know? It helps the government print a rosier picture....

lol

Did you somehow forget that Bush was president when the economy was going in the toilet and it was Bush who first pushed for the bailouts?

That's some pretty selective memory.

Exactly what I was thinking.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AH!.It was a democrat controlled congress when Bush was in office.He had very little if any to do with it.Congress sets the budget,not the president.

Last 2 years of it, prior to that it was all (R) and sinking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dayum we'll be dealing with leftists and the Crazy 9 for the next 2 1/2 years....and if we just knew that it would only be 2 1/2 more years we might could suck it up and maintain our sanity.

thechamp, I've reminded some of these clowns several times about 9/11....simply a non-event today to a lot of people.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll admit my ignorance of unemployment, having never been on it, but it seems I heard if the only job you can get is flipping burgers, and the max unemployment you would get is more, you can receive unemployment for the difference?

Is this true?

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by RWE
Gentleman, I know a lot of folks that have no intention on putting serious effort into seeking another job or accepting a job "beneath them" until their benefits are close to expiration.

Your mileage may vary, but I see it every damn day. As repulsive as it may be.

He may sound like a dickweasel, but he's not far off the mark in some areas....

You politically incorrect (factually correct) bastid.

How dare you say such a thing?

wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JasonB
AH!.It was a democrat controlled congress when Bush was in office.He had very little if any to do with it.Congress sets the budget,not the president.

They just had a second go at it...trickle down pee on ya head economics.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JasonB

Folks like you deserve the current administration! Period. I'm not saying the Republicans were without fault but obviously some are confused by things that happened during those two years. The "B" Pelosi and the "A-Hole" Reid ran the government. Bush was a lame duck and couldn't get ANYTHING THROUGH THAT BUNCH. As for the bailouts, he consulted the future "Idiot in Chief" and they concurred it had to be done. I don't know what was really necessary and neither does anyone else here. If they do please step up and put it in writing. That was a small chunk of what's happened since and what's going to happen if they get your health care.

Until the pain gets severe enough people persist in believing what they want. Please go for it! grin

BTW I NEVER drew a penny of unemployment in my life. For the times I was without work I got off my a$$ and found work. And as others have pointed out we all paid into the system for those not so fortunate. I don't begrudge anyone drawing it if they need it. That's what it's for. I do begrudge those who have no desire to better themselves (talking about young people here) and would rather live off the government or their families. Have a step daughter who seems to think her mom should support her till 60 or so. Can you say deadbeat? She'll be 24 shortly and has ZERO marketable job skills, unless you consider working at Jason's Deli a job skill. LAZZY A$$. And she would have voted for the current party in power because she's a liberal... smokes pot, parties, etc., imagine that!

Thanks Stan, you're right they've already forgotten what happened to our economy. SW Airlines stock fell to the low teens. NEVER recovered. And the market itself never got it's legs again. Then the idiot got elected.... Yeah short memories are really a great asset for those who refuse to put things in perspective. IT'S BUSH'S FAULT! Yep that's all they remember. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. And we aren't far from there last time I looked. Muslim president and all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to bust this lying assed bubble..

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Series Id: LNS14000000
Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Rate
Labor force status: Unemployment rate
Type of data: Percent or rate

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
2000 4.0 4.1 4.0 3.8 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.1 3.9 3.9 3.9 3.9
2001 4.2 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.9 5.0 5.3 5.5 5.7
2002 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.9 6.0
2003 5.8 5.9 5.9 6.0 6.1 6.3 6.2 6.1 6.1 6.0 5.8 5.7
2004 5.7 5.6 5.8 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.5 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.4
2005 5.3 5.4 5.2 5.2 5.1 5.0 5.0 4.9 5.0 5.0 5.0 4.9
2006 4.7 4.8 4.7 4.7 4.6 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.4
2007 4.6 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.4 4.6 4.6 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.7 5.0
2008 5.0 4.8 5.1 5.0 5.4 5.5 5.8 6.1 6.2 6.6 6.9 7.4
2009 7.7 8.2 8.6 8.9 9.4 9.5 9.4 9.7 9.8 10.1 10.0 10.0
2010 9.7 9.7

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear a lot of folks running down today's youth.... some things never change. :p

If I were a 19 year old right about now I'd have a full time gig starting a revolution. They have every right to be very pissed off at the situation we have bequeathed them.

Whether we approved or not as individuals the last couple generations have sent their jobs overseas, saddled them with unpayable government debt, used Ponzi finance to price an entire generation of young families out of homes (or, if they take the bait, turned them into debt zombies for life), unleashed an unregulated sociopathic Wall Street banking cartel on them.

... and then we criticize them for being just a little pissed off when we cast them in job market with 5 takers per job.

I'm solidly Generation X. So I only get an earfull occasionally. But I'd caution any of the boomers and up to maybe be a little more understanding when we discuss the work ethic of these kids. I'm not sure you want to get into a generational shouting match with them.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
I'll admit my ignorance of unemployment, having never been on it, but it seems I heard if the only job you can get is flipping burgers, and the max unemployment you would get is more, you can receive unemployment for the difference?

Is this true?

Any of our lawyers know?

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.