Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cigar
Originally Posted by RWE
Gentleman, I know a lot of folks that have no intention on putting serious effort into seeking another job or accepting a job "beneath them" until their benefits are close to expiration.

Your mileage may vary, but I see it every damn day. As repulsive as it may be.

He may sound like a dickweasel, but he's not far off the mark in some areas....

So true or they have something going on the side and don't want to upset the apple cart...

With that said there are others that are on a hard road and should not look to government for substance.. Unfortunately they are not going to learn the hard way that gov will always let you down... We all are going to have to learn that the hard way... We can't we keep this spending and taxing up... It's just not in the books...

I have a few friends that willingly take any work I can give them, regardless if the cart is tipped or not.

I had some friends that seem to enjoy the goobermint teat a little too much to run the risk of a hard days work getting in the way of things.

"Had" being the appropriate word.

For those that are looking hard, I am thankful you guys still exist.

For those that don't personally know teat suckers, consider yourselves fortunate....

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, lots of people cannot find work, but lots of Americans are too arrogant to work for what they feel is "less than they are worth" and others won't travel. I know quite a few guys that are sitting on their ass, because they make a better wage off unemployment checks, rather than manning up and flipping burgers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Yes, lots of people cannot find work, but lots of Americans are too arrogant to work for what they feel is "less than they are worth" and others won't travel. I know quite a few guys that are sitting on their ass, because they make a better wage off unemployment checks, rather than manning up and flipping burgers.

Have to wonder if half of you who spout the line would actually really flip burgers?

I have paid into unemployment for thirty years, and I was glad it was there for me giving me the chance to job hunt instead of flipping burgers.

I'll admit it, difference is I bet there are many here who would collect the unemployment instead of flipping burgers but take a step back in the shadows when somebody suggests they are loafers for doing so.

I'm betting more than half who rag on those collecting unemployment wouldn't flip burgers instead of collecting unemployment insurance. I mean is sounds good, but let's see you really put on the little orange hat.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kwg020
Open mouth, insert foot. kwg

That's what I was about to say--Delay is one of the charter members of The Foot In The Mouth Gang and is one reason why the Republicans are in currently in the minority.

Where was Delay when Congress was signing off on 3-400 billion dollar a year deficits a few years ago?.........oh wait, he WAS Congress..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Freakn' rat catcher politician, Delay couldn't even make make it through a dance contest without getting stress fractures in both feet. I would love to see him making an honest living flipping burgers at his age.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Have to wonder if half of you who spout the line would actually really flip burgers?

I worked for $10 an hour last winter, standing in the freezing cold, parking cars at a ski resort. I have a degree in finance, and I was happy to have that job!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is your occupation listed as taxidermist?

Have you paid into unemployment, were eligible for it?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think both situations apply. Without a doubt there are people who are hurting very badly in this economy. Without a doubt there are people who aren't going to take a job that pays less then what they were making. Sometimes we have no choice but to take what's there. I suspect things are going to get even worse after May when millions of college graduates enter the work place and the jobs aren't there, not counting the mega millions who aren't going to go to college but either dropping out of high school or graduating in May and will be looking for work.

I also believe firmly that things aren't going to improve until this government is reigned in and the stupidity comes to a halt. It might even be too late to save the country from bankruptcy.

There was no way that this economy could be sustained and continue to grow with borrowed money. A few years ago Texas didn't allow you to borrow against your homestead. Well that was opened and a lot of folks went out and got consolidation loans for their credit cards and cars and financed that debt with their home equity. Then they went right back to living on plastic until those were full again. Many of them ran out of credit to spend.. Then the housing market got tight and values came down, with some of those loans forcing people into some tight spots and there was no place to turn. They were in hock up to their butt as they tried to live the 'good life'. I've lived through several recessions. They aren't any fun for anybody, save for the few wealthy that are left. In my opinion it'll be a long haul to get out of this because there is no credit left to spur buying which creates jobs, etc.

I retired and am on a fixed income taking care of an 88 year old mother and helping take care of a 76 year old MIL. My other half is still working and we're staying above water but there is no extra money for anything. When I look around I consider myself one of the lucky ones to be able to stay above water! Lots of friends are hurting and some simply can't find work. I always liked Delay but tend to agree here that he let his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird butt! When you're that wealthy recessions aren't an issue.....

Good luck to all those here who are looking for work. Keep the faith. In situations like we're in that's about all you can do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is true. I took a job that paid substantially less than my old one. I don't plan on staying here even though I think they are hoping I do. I collected unemployment and that allowed me to drive around everyday and get to know people, fill out and personally hand in resumes. I'm not going to snicker at anyone who takes a job flipping burgers instead, all I'm saying was that I'm glad I paid into UE insurance and that it was there for me when I needed it so that I wouldn't have to flip burgers while looking for employment.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I have to add a bit on the 'wealthy'. Last week we visited one of the premier gun company distributors in the country. Appreciate leaving it at that, don't really want to name them. They commented that their high end shotguns are selling extremely well. They are also selling their high end rifles without much of a problem. Those at the top of the food chain might not be making what they used to but they're still in a position to live their lives like they did when times were good for everybody.

As much as people bashed GW, especially the media who thought that unemployment at 6-7% at the worst times during his presidency was just too high, I suspect a lot of folks would love to have those days back. They also fail to remember what 9-11 did to this economy for several years and things weren't as bad as they are now. Here in Texas we're in the 6-7% range and even as low as that number is it's got to be a lot higher than it was when GW was in office. I didn't know anybody around here that was unemployed for any lenght of time then. Now that's not the case. Lots of folks honestly have given up looking for a job because they just aren't there. Those aren't counted anymore - which I think is stupid! But what do we know? It helps the government print a rosier picture....

IC B3

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by thechamp

As much as people bashed GW, especially the media who thought that unemployment at 6-7% at the worst times during his presidency was just too high, I suspect a lot of folks would love to have those days back. They also fail to remember what 9-11 did to this economy for several years and things weren't as bad as they are now. Here in Texas we're in the 6-7% range and even as low as that number is it's got to be a lot higher than it was when GW was in office. I didn't know anybody around here that was unemployed for any lenght of time then. Now that's not the case. Lots of folks honestly have given up looking for a job because they just aren't there. Those aren't counted anymore - which I think is stupid! But what do we know? It helps the government print a rosier picture....

lol

Did you somehow forget that Bush was president when the economy was going in the toilet and it was Bush who first pushed for the bailouts?

That's some pretty selective memory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i hate flipping burgers, did it for 6 months in high school and swore never again....i will not flip burgers for the first couple months if i became unemployed and the unemployment check was keeping the bills handled.....however, about that 5 or so month mark, if nothing turned up i would go back to flipping burgers to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads.....would also skip town and go someplace else to work if i had to to pay the bills(alot of ppl really seem unwilling to do this) but i have paid into the system since i was 14 so ill willingly collect a check for a few months and try and locate something i can live with long term.....but im to damn proud to accept it for long.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
AH!.It was a democrat controlled congress when Bush was in office.He had very little if any to do with it.Congress sets the budget,not the president.
I have flipped burgers,shoed horses, bucked wild mules, even applied as a Walmart greeter.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Why is your occupation listed as taxidermist?

I have two jobs. There is no money in taxidermy...

And when my parking job ended, I took a job running a shovel for an excavator. They had no operator openings, but they had a position running a shovel, and running a tamper. You do what you have to do.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
As long as they can NOT WORK, and GET PAID, they will continue to do so.

Hey, congress is not the topic being discussed.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
AH!.It was a democrat controlled congress when Bush was in office.He had very little if any to do with it.Congress sets the budget,not the president.
I have flipped burgers,shoed horses, bucked wild mules, even applied as a Walmart greeter.

Republicans for the most part held both the senate and HR from 2002-2006.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There really isn't much out there for people over 40. All of you advocating burger flipping have to think a bit more. If unemployment pays the rent and utilities and burger flipping won't cover it, what would you do? Also, a good burger joint manager would not hire someone know they would leave at the first opportunity. Yes, there are about 5% that will milk it for all it's worth, the other 5% are seriously trying, with nothing left but to keep applying at the same places that still have no openings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
As long as they can NOT WORK, and GET PAID, they will continue to do so.

Hey, congress is not the topic being discussed.

laugh laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be"

Spoken like a true elitist repub-low-crap millionaire.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
How many guys on the 'fire are collecting unemployment? Perhaps it could explain how guys post on here all day long.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,953
Posts18,519,323
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.